watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Positives about being relegated

Started by ross_bamping, February 02, 2014, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copthornemike

Actually the more I think about this depressing question the more I think about the recent away match vs Sheffield United.

A previously proud club playing in a half empty stadium languishing near the bottom of one of the lower divisions because of limited resources with only the odd FA Cup match to look forward to for the rest of the season.

No advantages to getting relegated whatsoever.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

This time last year I believed Jol was sleep walking us unto relegation, we stayed up in spite of him. 
This year I do not mind all that matter is that Jol has gone, and isn't it great that we do not see his mug in the newspapers or on TV,  mugging us off 

Logicalman

Quote from: Berserker on February 02, 2014, 08:47:06 PM
I'll be able to spread myself out a bit more at matches. More room for my bags etc.

In my case they're called handles Mrs B.

Logicalman

I don't see positives in being relegated by looking at cutting our wage bill, it's not a positive, its a necessity!

Yep, we'd lose plastic supporters, and ST holders, but we'd also lose the income they, and sponsorship, provide, which, in turn places more pressure on Khan resources, and ultimately affects our ability to afford players that can get us back into the Prem.

On a personal note, I would struggle to be able to see the team from afar, as would every other ex-pat or overseas supporter.

So, for every positive mentioned, there are many related negatives that outweigh each one, and in my pocket book, when extra income brings higher relative debt, I'm happy not having the extra cash, because its not there in the long run.

Lighthouse

No positives

But if they put the prices down I wonder how many of us who were priced out of the game could afford to come back?

But not something I can think about yet without getting cross.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RidgeRider

No positives for me as well. Not sure starting over in the Championship is going to be any better for the club than rebuilding in the Prem, which is what they are trying to do at the moment.

The club "spit the bit" when they did nothing regarding Jol, and their (the club's) terrible and irresponsibly short-sighted transfer dealings.

JBH

Quote from: Baszab on February 02, 2014, 07:33:43 PM
There are NO positives in being relegated - how can anyone possibly consider there could be ?

Thats not exactly true, the positive is that a lot of the fair weather newbie fans will disapear and jump on the bandwagon of another club, leaving us with fans that care about the club and not just because we are in the Premiership.

JBH

Quote from: KCat on February 02, 2014, 11:38:31 PM
This time last year I believed Jol was sleep walking us unto relegation, we stayed up in spite of him. 
This year I do not mind all that matter is that Jol has gone, and isn't it great that we do not see his mug in the newspapers or on TV,  mugging us off 

Agree and its funny that he hasn't resurfaced anywhere considering he was suppose to have had loads of offers from big clubs!!  065.gif

vagrant

Quote from: epsomraver on February 02, 2014, 08:00:22 PM
There are NO positives in being relegated - how can anyone possibly consider there could be ?

Yes there are, no more tourists, ticket prices at a reasonable level, going to watch the team try and achieve something for a change instead of survive, get rid of the cheating overpaid posers that grace the top four and hopefully we will see some decent crowd pleasing football at the cottage, yes only 3000 at the very bottom but we had gates of 12k plus in the championship   at least they were genuine Fulham fans

:plus one:

Also not starting the season thinking about 40 points and can we get into the top ten this year. When you are a club of our size and stature, football in the premiership isn't fun anymore.....

RaySmith

Quote from: vagrant on February 03, 2014, 09:09:20 AM

Yes there are, no more tourists, ticket prices at a reasonable level, going to watch the team try and achieve something for a change instead of survive, get rid of the cheating overpaid posers that grace the top four and hopefully we will see some decent crowd pleasing football at the cottage, yes only 3000 at the very bottom but we had gates of 12k plus in the championship   at least they were genuine Fulham fans

:plus one:

Also not starting the season thinking about 40 points and can we get into the top ten this year. When you are a club of our size and stature, football in the premiership isn't fun anymore.....

Instead we could be looking at however many points to stay in the Championship!

Too much of a gamble for me to think the positives outweigh the negatives.

But, if we go down we'll just have to accept it, and do our best to get back- bankrolled by Khan could be exciting..but we could also plummet, like before.

So, I'll get behind the team in its efforts to stay in the Prem until there's no possible chance of survival.

Twig

I was one of those 3,000 and there were NO POSITIVES as far as I was concerned.  Sh1t football involving poor opposition in a stadium devoid of atmosphere.  Give me a few tourists any time if that is the small price to pay for Prem football.

RaySmith

Quote from: Twig on February 03, 2014, 09:54:39 AM

I was one of those 3,000 and there were NO POSITIVES as far as I was concerned.  Sh1t football involving poor opposition in a stadium devoid of atmosphere.  Give me a few tourists any time if that is the small price to pay for Prem football.
I remember those days -being able to sit down on the Enclosure terracing because the crowd was so small, watching the ball hoofed into the grey December sky, as the wind from the river chilled the sparse crowd, and fifteen or so hardy souls in the Hammersmith chanted 'We are Fulham- FFC'.

Give me the Prem, tourists and all, any day.

fulhamfever

I'm getting bored of the same old crap Premier League face it since Europa League Final it has hardly been that great

epsomraver

Examples being used are from the really bad days in the 3rd division, we would only go down to the championship, a place we were in 2000, gates under Tigana were around 12k ,  just a thought how many of the Fulham till I die and Fulham forevers will see be gracing this forum?

Bedford White

Was the Europa League Final the zenith for Fulham? We were in such a great place then, with some additional investment we could have pushed on but to what end? The Premier League title? no that is simply out of reach for all but 5-6 clubs. So the added investment would have secured a top 10 place but not much else. The EPL is such an expensive place to compete and for all his wealth MAF didn't want to go that way. He'd already spent huge amounts of money and I love him for that but I guess he'd drawn up plans for his exit within the next few years shortly after Hamburg and didn't want to spend more than was absolutely necessary.

If we go down it'll be heart breaking, IMO we have far more to lose than we'd ever gain by dropping. Therefore its on that basis we must fight for every point until the final whistle in May.

epsomraver

Quote from: Bedford White on February 03, 2014, 11:04:55 AM
Was the Europa League Final the zenith for Fulham? We were in such a great place then, with some additional investment we could have pushed on but to what end? The Premier League title? no that is simply out of reach for all but 5-6 clubs. So the added investment would have secured a top 10 place but not much else. The EPL is such an expensive place to compete and for all his wealth MAF didn't want to go that way. He'd already spent huge amounts of money and I love him for that but I guess he'd drawn up plans for his exit within the next few years shortly after Hamburg and didn't want to spend more than was absolutely necessary.

If we go down it'll be heart breaking, IMO we have far more to lose than we'd ever gain by dropping. Therefore its on that basis we must fight for every point until the final whistle in May.

If we are to stay at the Cottage then we are never ever going to be anything than a struggling team in the lower half of the Prem, if you want top ten football each season then we have to go to a bigger venue to get bigger revenues  and that is when Fulham ceases to exist.

BlaWhiArmyyyyyy

Why are QPR any different to us? If we go down we must copy exactly what they are doing, hold onto what you can and rebuild and restructure the club correctly. Im pretty sure I read years ago that all our contracts had a wage drop clause in them anyway so itd not cripple us.

FFCAli

Quote from: Berserker on February 02, 2014, 08:47:06 PM

Mind I'm fully expecting to have most of P2 to myself Tuesday night

I think you're right there  -  especially with the match being on TV and a tube strike starting mid-match.  Wrap up warm with no one to shelter you!

Nightwind15

The heart and soul of this club left with Jol's breaking up the club transferring out the players that were the heart and soul of it.  Also, like him or not, no one has replaced Danny Murphy and the leadership role he carried.  It breaks my heart to have watched all this transpire, i knew all along jol was shite.  
I played in the first match I ever saw!

Baszab

What is all this total rubbish about tourists anyway ??

20 years ago our attending fan base was about 12,000 - that's the size of it -- if we are going to expand  we need to attract "tourists" some who will become die-hard fans

What do people want, only those who live and are born in Fulham to be "real" fans  ??? or a serious Premier football club that has evolved from our "smaller" FFC