more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (04/02/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 03, 2014, 07:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Tunnicliffe praises Ipswich after making Fulham switch

Fulham new boy Ryan Tunnicliffe has thanked Ipswich Town for helping him complete his move to Craven Cottage.

Manchester United agreed to sell the combative midfielder to the Premier League's basement club last week, allowing the player to reunite with Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen. The pair worked together at Old Trafford when the Dutchman was a coach and Tunnicliffe an academy star.

The 21-year-old has signed until the summer of 2017, with an option for a further year, following spells at Peterborough United, Barnsley and, most recently, Ipswich Town.

At Portman Road, under manager Mick McCarthy, Tunnicliffe made 27 Championship appearances, helping the club's push for promotion.

Tunnicliffe tweeted: "Delighted to have joined #FFC. It was a tough decision to leave #Mufc given I've been there since the age of 9 but the opportunity to work Rene Meulensteen, a coach I hugely admire again, along with the chance to play Premier League football was too good to turn down.

"I would just like to thank everyone at United who has helped me get to this point & now can't wait to get started.

"I would also like to thank Mick McCarthy, all the boys at #Itfc & of course the fans. Absolutely loved my time at the club & I wish them all the best for the rest of the season."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/tunnicliffe-praises-ipswich-after-making-fulham-switch-14020378324#M1yxlS5KxHZFZSiq.99

WhiteJC

Posh linked with Fulham youngster

Chris David (right) could be moving to Posh from Fulham.

Fulham youngster Chris David has emerged as a possible Peterborough United replacement for departed star Lee Tomlin.

The 20-year Dutchman was linked with a move to London Road over the weekend. He is an attacking midfielder who can play a withdrawn role behind a main striker.

Chairman Darragh MacAnthony revealed over the weekend that Posh agreed loan deals for a 'Premier League player comfortable in the number 10 role' and another player who would become a permanent signing at the end of the season.

And in a weekend interview MacAnthony disclosed that the Premier League player would have signed last week, but he is required to play in a cup tie before joining, Fulham are the only Premier League side involved in the FA Cup this week.

David was part of Dutch club Twente Enschede's youth academy before joining Fulham in January, 2013. He moved to London despite being linked with Ajax.

Tomlin joined Championship side Middlesbrough on loan on transfer deadline day (January 31) with a view to a permanent £1.5 million transfer.

The loan transfer window opens on Saturday (February 8) and players have to sign before noon to be able to play on that day. Posh have a League One fixture at promotion-chasing Leyton Orient on Saturday.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/posh-linked-with-fulham-youngster-1-5851698

WhiteJC

Kvist's Vow

Fulham new boy William Kvist says the Whites will be doing 'everything' they can to preserve the Club's Barclays Premier League status.

The midfielder was handed his debut as Fulham took on Southampton at the Cottage on Saturday. But a disappointing 3-0 defeat to the in-form Saints, coupled with Cardiff City's win over Norwich City, saw the Whites sink to the foot of the table.

With just 14 games left this season, Kvist admits Fulham need to quickly turn their fortunes around in order to move away from trouble.

"I thought we played well in the first half on Saturday and had some good chances," the 28-year-old told the official website. "But when you're down at the bottom it's often the story that you don't get that bit of luck you need. If we'd gone 1-0 up I'm confident we would have won the game.

"We'd been defending well but when Southampton went in front it was difficult for us to get back in the game. It's disappointing but we have 14 games left and I'm still quite sure that this is a very good team and over the coming weeks we'll train together and try and pick up a lot of points."

Teams all the way up to 10th-placed Aston Villa are still not clear of the danger and Kvist continued: "It's very close down there but we just have to focus on ourselves, that's the most important thing. If we can score some goals and defend well, no matter who we're playing, then we'll get points."

Fixtures don't come much tougher than Fulham's next two league games, with an away trip to Manchester United followed by a home encounter with Liverpool.

"Yes, they don't get much harder but it's a hard league," stated Kvist. "We're looking forward to the two games and we'll do everything, I repeat, everything, we can to get some points from the matches."

Result aside, Kvist was delighted to pull on the Fulham shirt for the first time following his loan switch from VfB Stuttgart on Thursday.

"I enjoyed the first half especially," the Denmark international mused. "It was a high tempo but I made it to 80 minutes feeling good. The Cottage is an historical place and the atmosphere was fantastic. Hopefully next time the result will be better."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/03/kvists-vow?

WhiteJC

Porto star targets summer Premier League switch

Fulham target Steven Defour has targeted a summer switch to the Premier League.

Rene Meulensteen held talks with Porto over a January move for the midfielder but failed to reach an agreement with his club.

The Portuguese giants did not want to do sanction a deal last month as they are currently in an almighty scrap for the title.

They are currently four points off pacesetters Benfica and they also resisted Manchester City's double offer for Eliaquim Mangala and Fernando.

Numerous clubs have expressed an interest in signing Defour as well, with Manchester United linked to him in the past.

Aston Villa are also thought to be monitoring the situation and the 25-year-old Belgium international is open to a move to the Premier League.

Porto will assess the situation in the summer but they could be ready to cash in on Defour as they look to spark an auction between interested clubs.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/porto-star-targets-summer-premier-league-switch-14020378332#3HlgMySGVBjsLTOA.99

WhiteJC

Unseemly begging

Sorry, this will come across all wrong, but with one income and two small children, and it being January, we've... well put it this way, the well is dry.

So if you enjoy the website then I know you'll enjoy the Fulham Review books we made over the years, which have insightful match reports, and loads of essays by terrific writers, all about the club.  Ideal toilet reading!

I have copies of the 08/09 season book (when we qualified for Europe), the 10/11 book (Hughes' season, which wasn't great, but I think overall it was the best of the books) and 06/07, the Coleman season, which was the first one we did. I have a single spare copy of the Hamburg Europa League book which I guess I could sell if anyone wants it. Maybe £10 to reflect the fact that it's the very last one.

If you always meant to have a look at the books, please consider doing so now. Just go to www.godsfoot.com and order a back issue, saying which you want on the paypal notes field.  (note that the one we have on display there is sold out).

Thank you so much!
Rich

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/unseemly-begging/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sheffield Utd

FA CUP FOURTH ROUND REPLAY
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Tuesday, 4 February Kick-off: 1945 GMT
Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio, Final Score

Fulham hope to have full-backs Sascha Riether and Kieran Richardson available for their FA Cup fourth-round replay against Sheffield United.

Like in the first game, which ended 1-1, Cottagers boss Rene Meulensteen is expected to make changes, although Fernando Amorebieta and John Arne Riise are likely to remain sidelined.

Sheffield United skipper Michael Doyle continues to serve a three-match ban.

They will also be without cup-tied duo Billy Paynter and Elliott Whitehouse.

Ahead of the match, Meulensteen says he has been speaking with former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson as he tries to keep his new club in the Premier League.

Meulensteen was part of Ferguson's coaching staff at Old Trafford, helping the club to win three Premier League titles as well as the 2008 Champions League final.

"I have spoken to him like I do, on and off," said the 49-year-old Dutchman, who will not be able to use £11m deadline-day signing Kostas Mitroglou, Johnny Heitinga or Lewis Holtby in Tuesday's cup replay.

"Sometimes he rings me and sometimes I ring him. He is always a phone call away.

"I have always felt that whenever we stared into adversity or disappointment, he is remarkably strong in those moments.

"You could never spot any doubt in his words or behaviour and that always transferred back to the players. I want to do exactly the same [at Fulham]."

Fulham, who are bottom of the Premier League and four points from safety, have to put their relegation worries to one side against League One Sheffield United, who have promised to attack the Cottagers.

"We can have a real go," said Clough, who led his side to a 2-1 victory over Aston Villa in the last round. "It's similar to Villa Park, let's go and enjoy it and have a go.

"They are confirmed favourites, they don't play again until Sunday so it will be interesting to see how they line up. I think they will be much-changed from the one at Bramall Lane."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25923290?

WhiteJC

Relegation Betting – Fulham 7/4 to finish bottom of Premier League

Following their 3-0 defeat to Southampton on Saturday, Fulham now lie bottom of the Premier League table.
Boylesports go 7/4 that the Cottagers will remain in that place at the end of the season and 1/2 from 5/6 to be relegated into the Championship.
Crystal Palace lie just one point above the relegation zone and are 23/20 to make the drop whilst the Eagles are 4/1 to finish bottom of the Premier League table this season.
Cardiff who managed a 2-1 victory over Norwich at the weekend still lie second from the bottom of the table and are currently 9/2 to finish bottom whilst the 13/10 that is available suggests that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's squad may be playing Championship football next season.
Liam Glynn, PR Executive at Boylesports said "We have seen a surge of support for Fulham to be relegated this season as they now have lost their last four Premier League matches. Punters have backed the Cottagers into 1/2 from 5/6 to make the drop down into the Championship."
He added "Norwich who suffered defeat to Cardiff on Saturday are only two points off the relegation zone and are currently 17/10 to be relegated."
Premier League 2013/2014 – To Be Relegated
Fulham 1/2
Crystal Palace 23/20
Cardiff 13/10
Norwich 17/10
West Ham 13/5
Sunderland 11/4
Hull City 7/2
West Brom 4/1
Stoke 6/1
Swansea 8/1
Aston Villa 12/1
150/1 Bar

Premier League 2013/2014  – To Finish Bottom
Fulham 7/4
Crystal Palace 4/1
Cardiff 9/2
Norwich 10/1
West Ham 10/1
Sunderland 12/1
West Brom 16/1
Hull City 18/1
Stoke 33/1
Swansea 66/1
Aston Villa 66/1

http://sportsnewsireland.com/soccer/soccer_irish/relegation-betting-fulham-74-to-finish-bottom-of-premier-league-2014-02-03/?

WhiteJC

Rene Meulensteen believes he still has full backing of Fulham owner Shahid Khan

Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen believes he still has the full backing of the club's owner Shahid Khan despite his team's poor form.

The Cottagers slipped to the bottom of the Premier League table following Saturday's 3-0 home defeat to Southampton and there have been reports that Meulensteen is set to be replaced by technical director Alan Curbishley.

Former Manchester United assistant boss Meulensteen was only appointed in place of Martin Jol at the beginning of December.

However, Fulham have won only four of their 14 matches since the Dutchman took charge and they have lost their last four, prompting suggestions that Curbishley could be promoted after he was brought in on Christmas Eve.

But when asked if he had the support of Khan, Meulensteen replied: "Yes, 100 per cent. And more importantly I have got the full confidence of the playing squad because they have to do the job."

Meulensteen believes Fulham's task involves winning half of their remaining 14 Premier League games in order to avoid relegation.

The 49-year-old added: "I would think from the 14 games we should probably have to win half of them if you look at adding up the points where you get to.

"I don't know if six games will be enough, or five games and a couple of draws, but if you cut it in half and you look at it then with seven wins we would be in a much better position."

Meulensteen also revealed he remains in contact with Sir Alex Ferguson, his former boss at Old Trafford.

"I have spoken to him like I do, on and off. Sometimes he rings me and sometimes I ring him. He is always a phone call away," said the Dutchman.

"I have always felt that whenever we stared into adversity or disappointment, I have always found him remarkably strong in those moments.

"You could never spot any doubt in his words or behaviour, that always transferred back to the players and I want to do exactly the same (at Fulham)."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9148949/rene-meulensteen-believes-he-still-has-the-full-backing-of-fulham-owner-shahid-khan?

WhiteJC

I still call Sir Alex Ferguson for advice admits embattled Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen

UNDER pressure Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen has insisted that he does not fear for his job – even though the experienced Alan Curbishley is waiting in the wings at Craven Cottage as Technical Director.

Fulham take on League 1 Sheffield United in their FA Cup fourth round replay tomorrow night at Craven Cottage after having won only one of their last seven games and rooted to the bottom of the Premier League table.

But Meulensteen said: "I do not feel my job is under threat at all. I don't lose an night's sleep over that. There are maybe 16 Premier League managers under threat. That's how football works.

"It could be Chris Hughton or Alan Pardew. It's the mechanism of the industry. It doesn't worry me at all.

"I know I have the full confidence of the owner, 100 per cent. But more importantly I have the full confidence of the playing squad."

Meulenstseen, who will only have forward Clint Dempsey of his January singings available tomorrow night, said: "If you look at it, from the 14 league gamesleft, we will probably have to win half of them - maybe six games would be enough, or five wins and a couple of draws."

The former Manchester United no2 admitted he still talks to Sir Alex Ferguson, and asks him for advice, and he said: "I've spoken to him, on and off. Sometimes he rings me and sometimes I ring him. He's always a phone call away.

"It's about doing the right work, having the right beliefs, doing the right things. He was always remarkable strong in situations like this. There was never any doubt in his words or behaviour, because that transfers back to the players. I want to do the same."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/457739/I-still-call-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-for-advice-admits-embattled-Fulham-boss-Rene-Meulensteen

WhiteJC

Fulham boss plans to field strong side for Sheffield United clash

Riether and Richardson injury concerns for FA Cup fourth round replay

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen plans to field a strong side for tomorrow night's FA Cup replay against Sheffield United.

The Dutchman changed his entire starting XI for the 1-1 draw at Bramall Lane last time out to rest his first team for a Premier League clash against Swansea just 48 hours later.

However, the Craven Cottage chief will field some of his stars, coupled with some of the club's talented youngsters, for the fourth round replay.

None of the new signings are eligible to play as they weren't registered in time for the first game, while Sascha Riether (calf) and Kieran Richardson (foot) are injury doubts.

But defender Fernando Amorebieta should be in the squad after returning to training this week.

"We don't have any major problems," said Meulensteen.

"Fernando Amorebieta has made good progress and is back in training. Sascha Riether's got a tight calf and Kieran Richardson had a knock on his foot.

"It's a great competition to be in and is a good opportunity to utilise the squad and blend in some of the young players to give them experience.

"The team that will play tomorrow night is a very strong team."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-plans-field-strong-6663435?

WhiteJC

Fulham sweat over quartet for Sheffield United clash

Fulham are hopeful defenders Sascha Riether (calf) and Kieran Richardson (foot) will be fit for Tuesday night's FA Cup fourth-round replay against Sheffield United.

Cottager boss Rene Meulensteen is again likely to draft in some fringe players, but defender Fernando Amorebieta (knee) and John Arne Riise (hamstring) remain doubtful.

Deadline-day signings Kostas Mitroglou, Johnny Heitinga and Lewis Holtby are all not eligible to play in the cup tie.

Provisional squad: Stockdale, Passley, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise, Plumain, Duff, David, Bent, Karagounis, Kasami, Tankovic, Rodallega, Stekelenburg, Christensen, Kacaniklic, Sidwell, Pritchard, Richardson, Riether, Parker, Dempsey.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_sweat_over_quartet_for_sheffield_united_clash_1_3280920

WhiteJC

Keeping Fulham up would top trophies with Manchester United, Meulensteen reveals

Fulham head coach Rene Meulensteen has revealed that keeping the Whites up would trump any title wins with Manchester United.

The 49-year-old spent 10 years, on and off, with the Red Devils and helped win three Premier League titles, the Champions League, Community Shield, FIFA Club World Cup and the League Cup.

But it would top all of that if he is able to guide the west London outfit out of the relegation mire.

It's one thing to coach Manchester United players – the likes of Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and co don't need much input but it's another to work with players who don't have the talent of those players.

And he feels it is now a very different part of his man-management skills set which must come into play and would rank survival "higher than any other prize" he has ever won.

He added: "At the very top you find the highest quality, and quality players, you don't have to motivate them. You have to trust them and you can.

"Here it is more that you need to be much more constructive, more repetitive.

"Players at the top, half a word is enough and don't have to say it again. They understand, here it is more you need to make sure."

Despite Fulham being bottom, they are still just four points from safety.

Meulensteen, though, feels it could take another half-a-dozen wins to be sure of safety.

"From the 14 games, we will probably have to win half of them - maybe six games would be enough, five wins and a couple of draws," he said.

"We know we will be in a tough run coming up, the players are aware of that, but we will take it head on.

"All the ingredients are there for us to stay up and now it is up to us to make sure that happens."

Meulensteen feels he has "100 per cent" support from owner Shahid Khan and is not about to 'lose any sleep' over reports recently-appointed technical director Alan Curbishley was being lined up to replace him should results continue to nosedive.

The Fulham manager will again utilise his squad against the Sheffield United, but nevertheless has a fifth-round place very much in his sights.

"We know that nothing positive, nothing good comes out of losing a game," Meulensteen said.

"We are Fulham, a Premier League club and we want to progress."

hopes a pep talk from Sir Alex Ferguson can help him convince his squad they have the quality to stay in the Barclays Premier League.

The Cottagers slipped to the bottom of the table after they were beaten 3-0 at home by Southampton on Saturday, but have the chance to record a much-needed win against League One outfit Sheffield United in their FA Cup fourth-round replay on Tuesday night.

Meulensteen revealed that he has had conversations with former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

"I have spoken to him like I do, on and off. Sometimes he rings me and sometimes I ring him. He is always a phone call away," said Meulensteen, who will not be able to use £11million deadline day signing Kostas Mitroglou, Johnny Heitinga, Larnell Cole, Ryan Tunnicliffe or Lewis Holtby in Tuesday's cup replay, nor will he be able to use William Kvist, who joined last week.

"I have always felt that whenever we stared into adversity or disappointment, I have always found him remarkably strong in those moments.

"You could never spot any doubt in his words or behaviour, that always transferred back to the players and I want to do exactly the same (at Fulham)."

Meulensteen continued: "It is making sure that the messages you are going to send out to the team are clear, that there is no doubt, that this is what we are going to do and these are the reasons why.

"I have to be the one who adapts the most in this job because I came from an environment (at United) where we have always been able to dominate, that was my task (there) - how can we dominate the opposition and find our extra man?

"I have pushed certain elements (of that) into this squad, to which they have responded really well.

"But, sometimes I have to say, 'hold on, Rene, you're not in the same environment'.

"You have to look at the squad and make sure they feel comfortable with what they are doing. That is how you come to a solution which will help us."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/keeping_fulham_up_would_top_trophies_with_manchester_united_meulensteen_reveals_1_3280939

WhiteJC

René's Blades Preview

René Meulensteen says losing is not an option for Fulham when they host Sheffield United in Tuesday night's FA Cup with Budweiser Fourth Round Replay.

The Whites take on the Sky Bet League One Blades at the Cottage after the two sides drew 1-1 at Bramall Lane last month.

A home draw against either Nottingham Forest or Preston North End awaits the winners and Meulensteen said: "Nothing positive comes out of losing a game so it's not an option for us. We should have put the game to bed up there but credit to Sheffield United, they hung in there and it will be tough on Tuesday. But we are Fulham, a Premier League club, and we want to progress."

Meulensteen has used the competition to give First Team opportunities to some of the Club's younger players and he admitted Tuesday night's game will be no different.

"I keep sticking to the same principles," the Head Coach stated. "It's a great cup competition to be in – that's why we keep playing replays so we can play as many games as we can! It's a good opportunity to utilise the squad and blend in some young players to give them that experience. The younger players we've used so far have done extremely well so we're going to come up with a good team selection.

"The team that will play is a very strong one. I'll give some young and upcoming players a chance but that doesn't take away the quality," continued Meulensteen who reported no fresh injury concerns.

"We haven't got any major problems," he said. "The new signings aren't eligible to play because they're not registered for the game. Fernando Amorebieta has made good progress and is back in training. We've got a few minor, minor niggles – Sascha Riether has a tight calf that kept him out of training and Kieran Richardson had a knock on the same foot that he's hurt before. But it's nothing major that will keep them out of selection."

Fulham will go into the game having slumped to the foot of the Barclays Premier League table with a 3-0 home defeat to Southampton on Saturday.

Meulensteen, however, is remaining upbeat about Fulham's survival chances, telling the media: "It's a good club with good people and it's a good squad and that gives me hope that we're going to get out of this.

"I think from the 14 games, we'll need to probably win half of them. I don't know if five or six games will be enough but seven wins would put us in a much better position. We know we've got a tough run coming up but we'll face it head on. We know there are areas we need to address - we need to convert our chances and get our noses in front.

"We looked very comfortable against Southampton and we should have gone in front. Going in front makes a hell of a difference as you have something to hold onto.

"We need to address both ends of the pitch. Let's make sure we become a stronger defensive unit and start the second half in better shape. These are the things we need to get right."

The former Manchester United coach admits he has tapped into the knowledge of his former Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson as he looks to move Fulham up the table.

"I come from an environment where we've always been able to dominate," said Meulensteen. "I've spoken to Sir Alex - he's always only a phonecall away. Whenever United faced moments of adversity, I always found him remarkably strong. You could never spot any doubt in his words or behaviour and that transferred back to the players.

"What we discussed was making sure the message you give to the team is clear; that there's no doubt about what you want them to do."

Asked if he was feeling under pressure, Meulensteen insists he's remaining calm, responding: "I don't lose sleep over it – you've got 20 clubs in the Premier League and 16 managers are under threat. That's how football works. I've got the full confidence of the Owner and the full confidence of the playing squad. We've got plenty of experience with the likes of Ray Wilkins and Alan Curbishley and that's why I bought these guys in with me. They've gone through that roller-coaster of emotion before.

"If you look at the quality, experience and determination we have in the squad, all the ingredients are there for us to stay up. It's up to us to make that happen."

Tickets for Tuesday's Replay are available on General Sale. Click here for more details.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/03/renes-blades-preview?

WhiteJC

Sheffield United boss maintains survival battle is priority over Fulham clash

Sheffield United boss Nigel Clough is adamant that League One remains his priority despite knowing his side could reach the last 16 of the FA Cup if they win their fourth-round replay at Fulham.

The Blades head to London searching for a second successive Barclays Premier League scalp, following the defeat of Aston Villa in the last round, after the original tie finished 1-1 just over a week ago.

A win would set-up a fifth-round tie with either Nottingham Forest or Preston but with his side entrenched in a relegation dogfight in League One, which was not helped by Saturday's woeful 3-0 loss at Crewe, Clough's primary concern is keeping his side in the third tier.

"A cup run would mean nothing unless we start winning in the league," he said.

"The last thing we want is to have a cup run and then struggle in the league and be in the relegation zone.

"Wigan did that last year, I have heard a few people say they wouldn't swap it, the cup is important but not as important as the league.

"I would prefer a win on Saturday against Shrewsbury than tomorrow."

Despite harbouring that attitude, Clough, who played in the 1991 FA Cup final for Nottingham Forest, is aware of the opportunity that his side have.

They have the struggling Premier League side in their sights having been the better team in their first meeting at Bramall Lane, Clough knows they have nothing to lose.

"It gives us an opportunity to get through to the last 16 and you don't get many opportunities to do that," he added.

"We can have a real go. It's similar to Villa Park, let's go and enjoy it and have a go.

"They are confirmed favourites, they don't play again until Sunday so it will be interesting to see how they line up. I think they will be much-changed from the one at Bramall Lane."

Clough, who has no fresh injury or suspension concerns, will not be able to call on the cup-tied pair Billy Paynter of Elliott Whitehouse.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/sheffield_united_boss_maintains_survival_battle_is_priority_over_fulham_clash_1_3280990

WhiteJC

Save On Home Shirts!

Fulham fans can save on adidas 2013/14 Replica Kit with our latest Great Save! offer: get up to £20 off a Home Shirt!

Choose from long or short sleeve adult (was from £49.99, now from £29.99), kids (was £34.99, now £24.99) or the mini kit (was £27.99, now £17.99).

And why not personalise your choice with the name and number of one of our newest squad members? With William Kvist (6; pictured), Lewis Holtby (10) and Konstantinos Mitroglou (18) amongst our January signings, there are plenty to choose from.

Shop now to take advantage of this fantastic offer. Buy online, direct on 0843 208 1223 or at the Stadium Store

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/03/save-on-home-shirts?

WhiteJC

Long night in store at the Cottage

Ben Coley previews Tuesday's FA Cup fourth-round replay between Fulham and Sheffield United at Craven Cottage.

Fulham v Sheffield United (1945 GMT)

If you shop around, you can find prices for Fulham's top goalscorer this season.

The market is headed by Steve Sidwell, with new signing Kostas Mitroglou clear third-favourite at just 4/1 despite having yet to play let alone score. More than anything else, this underlines the problems faced at Craven Cottage as well as the problem with backing them at odds-on.

Quite simply, Rene Meulensteen lacks attacking options and while his side continue to defend like amateurs, they're going to struggle to keep their Premier League status alive.

At least Mitroglou can help in that regard, but he's ineligible for this FA Cup replay having been signed after the 1-1 draw at Brammall Lane.

That game was one Fulham were a tad fortunate to draw. Sheffield United looked in command thanks to Chris Porter's first-half goal, until Michael Doyle's red card allowed Fulham back into it.

Hugo Rodallega fired home the equaliser and with all four goals for Fulham having come in cup competitions, he's worth considering at 13/2 to open the scoring.

As touched upon, Fulham's attacking options are limited and if the Cottagers do break the deadlock it's likely to have come from Rodallega, Darren Bent (5/1) or even the aforementioned Sidwell (10/1).

United have previous in the competition having won at Aston Villa in the third round and, at 5/1, they'll again have their backers.

Given that they were shorter than 2/1 for the first clash and were the better side 11 v 11, there's arguably been an overreaction to their patchy League 1 form and the fact that they're away from home this time around.

Porter returned from injury at the weekend to provide a boost to Nigel Clough and if you can get past their awful away record in the league, the Blades make some sort of appeal given how low on confidence their opponents are.

However, there's nothing about either side that particular entices me and I can see this being very close, which makes the draw the value call.

Further to that, I'd be inclined to suggest that we could need penalties to solve this puzzle and small stakes on either side winning via a shootout is the advice although I must confess I approach this game with trepidation.

This game is being televised live in the UK on ITV4

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/419/9149179/-?

WhiteJC

A First!

As we prepare to let the dust die on yet another Premier League defeat, we`ve dragged up one last statistic.

It would seem that the 3-0 defeat at the hands of Southampton created something of a milestone.

Apparently, it was the first time Fulham Football Club had failed to score at Craven Cottage in a Premier League game.

Now can we focus on the next game and a clash with Manchester United at Old Trafford!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=348310#ixzz2sKEnDLst

WhiteJC

Examining our central midfielders

Apologies if you hated my past post but I want to revist the +/- stat with regards to our four main central midfielders. Again, this stat isn't a great indicator of causation, but correlation. It also doesn't occur in a vacuum, as the entire team and certain dynamics of the sport play a hand in the metric. But, along with other indicators, I found it to be quite instructive, as seen below. So consider it more an idea board then a didactic study.

I left out wingers as I wanted to keep the scope on what we're all in agreement is our main problem area: the center of midfield; particularly the Parker/Sidwell axis. StatsBomb recently did an amazing (and horrifying) job at comparing those two and Kasami to Barca's Xavi, Busquets, and Iniesta. This is very much like comparing a Hank Williams or George Jones song to a Blake Shelton tune, but what can you do. I also broke up the stats by each manager to see if there's any differences.

Sidwell

GF   GA   +/-   +/- PG   APPS
Jol   10   22   -12   -0.92   13
Rene   10   29   -19   -1.73   11
Total   20   51   -31   -1.29   24
It may seem like Sidwell has regressed under Rene (if "Sidwell" and "regressing" is somehow possible), but 6 of the 29 GA came in that Hull City match. Nonetheless our opponents have scored >3 goals a whopping FIVE times since Rene has taken over and Sidwell is on the pitch.

Parker

Jol   8   22   -14   -1.27   11
Rene   12   21   -9   -0.90   10
Total   20   43   -23   -1.10   21
Very similar to Sidwell, with the only visible difference is he was fortunate enough to escape that 6-0 Hull City thrashing. Like with Sascha Reither, there certainly seems to be a visceral notion that Parker belongs in the side. But beyond high interception and tackling rates, which as StatsBomb said is most likely down to the oppositions always with the ball/running at him...what are the justifications exactly?

Kasami

Jol   12   22   -10   -0.83   12
Rene   5   18   -13   -1.30   10
Total   17   40   -23   -1.05   22
This is where it starts to get interesting. Rene's been using Kasami as a sub for the majority of his league reign–only 3 starts in his 10 games under Rene compared to 11 starts under Jol. This explains why the GF is way down but the GA still quite high. But, considering Fulham scored three goals in the entire month of January, it's perplexing why he only averaged 15 minutes last month.

Karagounis

Jol   3   4   -1   -0.17   6
Rene   6   10   -4   -0.80   5
Total   9   14   -5   -0.45   11
I didn't include Boateng because he had such a small sample size, but thought it would be interesting to see what Karagounis has done with ever-so-slightly more play time. Each manager has treated Karagounis differently: Jol used him as a sub for 5 of his 6 appearances; Rene started him in all his 5 appearances (albeit none since Hull City in December). But if we were to take away that Hull City game, we'd see his +/- to be fairly respectable, despite the small sample size–unlike if we subtracted result from Sidwell's stats, they'd still be terrible. I'm not sure why Kara hasn't been playing (hooray opaqueness!), but like Kasami, it's clear he's a necessary dynamic that's being under-utilized.

No one needs to opine how the Parker/Sidwell duo has proved to be detrimental. But the idea behind these stats further reinforce such a notion, and that stems from the fact the two are always playing. Whether it's down to them or other factors, it certainly feels like we're at the point where, when we see both in the starting XI, much like seeing a bad #5 pitcher start, we're going to lose.

I'd argue it's not one part of the combination that needs to be replaced, it's the entire recipe. Curious to know your thoughts as well.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/examining-our-central-midfielders/?

WhiteJC

Tranmere Extend Arthurworrey Loan

Defender to stay at Prenton Park
Tranmere have today extended Stephen Arthurworrey's loan deal from Fulham by a month subject to Football League and Football Association clearance.
The centre back joined Tranmere on New Year's Day and has made six appearances for the Club.
Manager Ronnie Moore said: "Stephen has done well since he has been here.
"He's only young so he's still learning the game but he's shown that he's a strong defender who is settling in well to League 1 football.
"I'd like to thank Fulham for letting Stephen stay with us and hopefully they'll see the benefits when he returns to them in the summer."

Read more at http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/article/arthurworrey-030214-1338231.aspx?#Dap9VLzom6mURe2R.99

WhiteJC

The secret to Fulham's Premier League survival revealed...
Based on games where they've conceded fewer than two, the Cottagers would be fifth, not bottom.

Taking a pounding off a Southampton side marooned in mid-table doesn't bode well for Fulham's flimsy survival chances, but the Premier League props can't be condemned to the Championship just yet.

At 1/2, the Cottagers are the only clear-cut favourites to fall through the top-tier trapdoor, but with half the league still firmly in relegation contention, there's still ample time for them to escape.

For want of any transfer chit-chat to blow out of proportion, the rumour mill has turned its attention to Rene Meulensteen, suggesting the freshly-appointed Fulham boss is on the brink of being binned so technical director Alan Curbishley can attempt to salvage the club's season following four straight league losses.

The final three in this quartet of defeats came without a single goal being mustered, but some shrewd deadline day dealings can rectify this and keep their affable coach in a job.

Kostas Mitroglou, aka Mitro-goal, represents something of a coup and should he repeat the feats of untried strikers to set England's top flight ablaze following a January switch, then the west Londoners have a real chance of bridging the four-point gap that stands between them and safety.

Papiss Cisse, Nikica Jelavic and Demba Ba are recent winter imports to propel their buyers up the table with late-season goal flurries and everyone rooting for Fulham will have their fingers crossed Mitroglou replicates their achievements.

The defensive acquisition of World Cup finalist Jonny Heitinga could be equally as important, though.

Shoring up the defence is a necessity if Meulensteen is to heave Fulham clear of danger as their record in games where they've leaked fewer than two is surprisingly good.

The Cottagers may be bottom of the table overall, but based on games where they've restricted the opposition to one goal or less they would sit fifth.

Across the eight games in question, they've won six and lost just once, meaning that if they find a formula that allows them to limit their foes to one on a regular basis, they can still claw themselves out of the mire; they're priced at 29/20 to stay up.

Fulham to stay up @ 29/20

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/secret-fulhams-premier-league-survival-revealed,51530.html?#sthash.pHv07OvQ.dpuf