more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (04/02/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 03, 2014, 07:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Philippe Senderos admits Valencia offer was too good to turn down

Philippe Senderos has explained that the lure of the challenge of playing in Spain's top flight was too good to turn down after joining Valencia from Fulham.

The Switzerland international defender was only informed late in the transfer window that there was a chance to go to the Mestalla.

The former Arsenal man admitted he was surprised by the interest from Valencia and jumped at the chance to move to La Liga.

"They told me about the interest from Valencia really late on. I was just completely focused on working with FUlham," Senderos told reporters.

"However, I think that this is a great opportunity for me and that is why I accepted it.

"I really want to play in La Liga and playing for Valencia is a great challenge for me.

"I know that we can challenge to play in the Europa League again and go a long way in the competition.

Senderos made 17 appearances for Fulham this season, scoring one goal, and believes that he is ready to immediately start playing for Los Che.

"I am physically in great condition as I played only a week ago," he continued. "I am ready to start right now.

After leaving Servette in 2003 to join Arsenal, Senderos played 84 times for the Gunners before joining AC Milan and Everton on loan and then heading to Fulham on a permanent basis in 2012.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9149227/philippe-senderos-admits-valencia-offer-was-too-good-to-turn-down?

bobby01

Quote from: WhiteJC on February 04, 2014, 04:45:17 AM

A First!

As we prepare to let the dust die on yet another Premier League defeat, we`ve dragged up one last statistic.

It would seem that the 3-0 defeat at the hands of Southampton created something of a milestone.

Apparently, it was the first time Fulham Football Club had failed to score at Craven Cottage in a Premier League game.

Now can we focus on the next game and a clash with Manchester United at Old Trafford!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=348310#ixzz2sKEnDLst

Who researched that? 1500.gif
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

JBH

Quote from: bobby01 on February 04, 2014, 08:30:29 AM
Quote from: WhiteJC on February 04, 2014, 04:45:17 AM

A First!

As we prepare to let the dust die on yet another Premier League defeat, we`ve dragged up one last statistic.

It would seem that the 3-0 defeat at the hands of Southampton created something of a milestone.

Apparently, it was the first time Fulham Football Club had failed to score at Craven Cottage in a Premier League game.

Now can we focus on the next game and a clash with Manchester United at Old Trafford!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=348310#ixzz2sKEnDLst

Who researched that? 1500.gif

If its for this season then it is a correct fact  065.gif

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sheffield United: Rene Meulensteen provided with chance to quieten sack rumours with progress in the FA Cup

Both sides come into this replay on the back of 3-0 defeats

Having both lost 3-0 on Saturday, plunging each of them deeper into relegation trouble, Fulham and Sheffield United have more significant priorities than Tuesday night's FA Cup fourth round replay at Craven Cottage, but only one can approach tonight's tie with a 'what will be, will be' outlook.

Sheffield United's history is more illustrious than Fulham's but at present they are a struggling League One side so will travel to their Premier League opponents with no pressure of expectation. They have already made their mark on the FA Cup after winning at Villa Park in the last round and manager Nigel Clough may welcome a night free of worry before Saturday's relegation scrap at home to Shrewsbury.

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen, however, can ill-afford another humbling with Manchester United and Liverpool next on the agenda, and reports suggesting Alan Curbishley may soon be promoted from technical director to replacement.

"Nothing positive, nothing good comes out of losing a game," said Meulensteen who said he felt he had "100 per cent" support from owner Shahid Khan and was not about to "lose any sleep" over the rumours about Curbishley.

Mulensteen cannot field any of Fulham's six deadline recruits because they are ineligible having not been signed prior to the original tie. He will thus deploy a mixture of the regulars and fringe players similar to that which beat Norwich in the third round and drew with the Blades at Bramall Lane. Sascha Riether (calf) and Kieran Richardson (foot) should be fit but Fernando Amorebieta (knee) and John Arne Riise (hamstring) are doubtful.

Sheffield United are without cup-tied Billy Paynter and Elliot Whitehouse, and Michael Doyle is suspended after being dismissd in the first match.  "A cup run would mean nothing unless we start winning in the league," Clough said. "The last thing we want is to have a cup run and then struggle in the league and be in the relegation zone."

The winners face Preston or Nottingham Forest for a place in the quarter-final.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/fulham-v-sheffield-united-rene-meulensteen-provided-with-chance-to-quieten-sack-rumours-with-progress-in-the-fa-cup-9105268.html

WhiteJC

Stephen Extends Rovers Stay

Fulham defender Stephen Arthurworrey has extended his loan spell at Tranmere Rovers by a further month.

The giant centre-back, 19, joined Sky Bet League One Rovers on New Year's Day and has made six appearances for the club.

Rovers boss Ronnie Moore told their official website: "Stephen has done well since he's been here. He's only young so he's still learning the game but he's shown that he's a strong defender who is settling in well to League One football.

"I'd like to thank Fulham for letting Stephen stay with us and hopefully they'll see the benefits when he returns to them in the summer."

Hackney-born Arthurworrey joined Fulham's Academy at the age of 10.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/03/stephen-extends-rovers-stay?

WhiteJC

Fulham Transfer Analysis: From A Fulham Fan

Fulham fans were left feeling more optimistic and confident than they had done all season after the January transfer window closed on the night of the 31st. By the next afternoon, a devastating loss to Southampton had restored the now regular panic around Craven Cottage.

Two new signings were on show for the visit of the Saints, and while the team capitulated as usual in the second half, Lewis Holtby and William Kvist gave promising individual performances.

Denmark international Kvist showed his experience by keeping a calm head in the middle of the park, and he made a handful of impressive interceptions. He is not known so much for his creativity however, and the midfield trio or Kvist, Parker and Sidwell tells you all you need to know about how few chances Fulham were able to create.

Any chances Fulham had came from Tottenham loanee Lewis Holtby. The German, with one eye on making the World Cup squad and the other on eventually breaking into the Spurs first eleven, was eager to impress, and did so with a skillful, creative performance.

His problem was getting into the game from the wide positions. For Fulham to have a chance at beating the drop, Holtby has to operate in his preferred position in behind the striker.

After yet another poor performance from Darren Bent, new addition Kostas Mitroglou will surely be that striker. Fulham fought off competition from fellow strugglers West Ham to bring in the £11m Greek international from Olympiakos on deadline day.

Former Manchester United goalkeeper, and current Olympiakos stopper, Roy Carroll, had this to say about his former teammate: 'He has been the top goalscorer in Greece for the last two years. I remember watching Cantona – that's the type of player Konstantinos is.' No pressure, Kostas.

John Heitinga also signed on deadline day, as a replacement for the outgoing Philippe Senderos (or, should I say, as an upgrade on Philippe Senderos?) The former Everton man joined on a free as Rene Meulensteen looks at reducing Fulham's dire goal difference. Another man with World Cup ambitions, Heitinga will give his all for the Cottagers' cause.

Fulham even managed to squeeze through the signings of former Manchester United duo Ryan Tunnicliffe and Larnell Cole before the window closed, as Meulensteen looks to build a solid platform for the future, whatever the outcome of this season.

After the loss of eccentric flair players Bryan Ruiz, Adel Taarabt and Dimitar Berbatov, Meulensteen and owner Shahid Khan replaced them with 'engine' players, scrappers with something to prove. They have given Fulham every chance of avoiding relegation from the Premier League after thirteen years of top flight football.

But with games against Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City looming, it looks as though Fulham might have to pull off yet another Great Escape. England boss Roy Hodgson oversaw the first; does Rene Meulensteen have it in him?

http://threeandin.com/archives/34458?

WhiteJC

Fulham need battlers not bottlers for relegation run-in admits boss Rene Meulensteen

Cottagers are rock-bottom with 14 games to go and have shifted Berbatov, Ruiz and Taarabt out on loan with head coach demanding to see more fight

Ready to rumble: Meulensteen's men face FA Cup giant-killing then a scrap to stay up
Steve Bardens

Rene Meulensteen insisted he has a team up for a relegation fight now he has got rid of Dimitar Berbatov and Adel Taarabt.

Despite Fulham falling to the bottom of the Premier League, the Dutchman claimed he has the full backing of owner Shahid Khan and technical director Alan Curbishley.

And the former Manchester United No.2 revealed he has been getting tips from his old boss Sir Alex Ferguson as he tries to keep up the morale of his struggling side.

During a busy transfer window, Meulensteen was allowed to break the Cottagers' transfer record to sign Greece striker Kostas Mitroglou from Olympiacos.

But Meulensteen reckons the offloading of Berbatov (loaned to Monaco), Taarabt (returned to parent club QPR, then loan to AC Milan) and fellow forward Bryan Ruiz (loaned to PSV Eindhoven) will prove as important to toughen up his team.

Speaking before Tuesday night's FA Cup replay at home to League One strugglers Sheffield United, Meulensteen said: "Am I now looking for more fight? Absolutely. There's no two ways about it.

"The only way to get out of this mess is to have a stack of totally committed players who want to work and do the necessary job. Because of where we are, the job has to change slightly. We have to be more disciplined defensively, more organised, instead of just flying forward."

Meulensteen said the backing he received in the January transfer window shows he enjoys the "100 per cent" confidence of Khan.

"He understands the situation alright," the head coach said. "I had the privilege to meet Mr Khan in America over the summer and I stay in regular contact with him and all I can do is live up to his expectations. It was a huge statement of intent to back us with the transfer money."

And after replacing Martin Jol just two weeks after arriviving at Craven Cottage to be first-team coach, the Dutchman insisted he was not worried about former Charlton and West Ham manager Curbishley now replacing him.

"Not at all," he said. "I brought Alan into this club as part of my squad. He's as much responsible as myself, (assistant head coach) Ray Wilkins, John Hill and Mike Priest (first-team coaches). Were all in this together.

"I wanted Alan here for these scenarios. He is utterly 100 per cent supportive of me, Ray and all the others."

After losing eight of his first 11 matches, Meulensteen has set Fulham the target of winning half of the remaining 14 games to reach the target of 40 points.

He added: "If we stay up, I would rate it higher than any Premier League or any prize that I have ever won."

Meulensteen, who won three league titles and the European Cup with Ferguson, said: "I have spoken to him like I do, on and off. Sometimes he rings me and sometimes I ring him. He is always a phone call away.

"I've always felt that whenever we're stared into adversity or disappointment, I've always found him remarkably strong in those moments.

"You could never spot any doubt in his words or behaviour. That always transferred back to the players. I want to do exactly the same."

New signings Mitroglou, Johnny Heitinga and Lewis Holtby are not eligible to face the Blades, who are fighting relegation to League Two, to decide who goes through after the 1-1 draw at Bramall Lane eight days ago.

The winners of the replay will be at home to Championship Nottingham Forest or League One Preston on February 15/16 for a place in the last eight.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-relegation-fight-meulensteen-wants-3109216#ixzz2sMk7t8Fu
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Rene Meulensteen's job as at Fulham manager in jeopardy due to dire defence
Fulham head coach ordered to shore up leaky backline as Alan Curbishley waits in the wings to take over

René Meulensteen must immediately patch up Fulham's battered defence to prevent himself following Martin Jol out of the exit door.

Fulham are ready to ask Alan ­Curbishley, the technical director, to try to save their season if Meulensteen, the head coach, cannot prove he can stop the team leaking goals.

Curbishley could even take over team affairs in time for the vital ­Premier League relegation match against West Bromwich Albion on Feb 22 if results get even worse.

Fulham host League One outfit Sheffield United in their FA Cup fourth-round replay at Craven ­Cottage on Tuesday night before facing league games against Manchester United, Liverpool and then West Bromwich.

The 3-0 thrashing at the hands of Southampton meant that Fulham plunged to the bottom of the Premier League table and there are big ­concerns over the fact that the club's defensive record has got worse under Meulensteen.

Jol lost his job as manager after Fulham conceded 31 goals in the first 16 games in all competitions of the season. Under Meulensteen, Fulham have let in the same number of goals in two fewer matches.

Meulensteen has a good reputation in football for his one-on-one coaching and technical work. But there are growing fears that his defensive coaching is simply not good enough.

Fulham players are surprised that more work has not gone into improving the team's defence and making them harder to beat, given the fact that they have conceded 53 Premier League goals this season – 12 more than second-bottom Cardiff City.

Question marks have been raised over the fact that, despite their poor record at the back, Fulham splashed out £11 million on a striker, Konstantinos Mitroglou, in January and spent nothing on the defence. Central defender John Heitinga was signed on a free transfer from Everton.

Since Meulensteen took charge of first-team affairs, Fulham have ­conceded six goals to Hull City, four to Sunderland and were hit for three by Southampton.

Meulensteen did little to calm the fears of his Fulham chiefs after the Southampton defeat by admitting that he concentrated most of his time on forward work. "I still think that attacking and possession, and ­turning teams is the best way to defend," he said. "But you need to have the ­quality and the understanding and the energy to do it."

Having spent years working under Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, Meulensteen appears to be attempting to use the same principles that proved so successful with world-class players at Old Trafford.

Fulham's players who worked under Roy Hodgson during his ­successful time at the club remember the fact their former manager used to prepare for the fact the Londoners would have around 45 per cent ­possession at home and just 35 per cent away from home.

Hodgson may be accused of being negative, but he made Fulham incredibly difficult to beat and Curbishley has proved similarly efficient during his management career at Charlton Athletic and West Ham United.

Curbishley has resisted trying to meddle in first-team coaching since being appointed technical director on Christmas Eve, but he has been a regular spectator at Fulham's training ground.

Meulensteen's contract expires at the end of May, which makes him relatively easy and cheap to replace. Fulham insiders believe that ­Curbishley is the club's next manager in waiting and it is just a matter of time until he takes over.

Curbishley is seen as a steady pair of hands to either try to maintain Fulham's Premier League status or attempt to get the club promoted back to the top flight at the first attempt if they go down.

Meulensteen believes he that retains the backing of Fulham owner Shahid Khan. When asked if he is worried by the presence of Curbishley, the 49-year-old said: "No, not at all. I brought Alan into the club as part of my squad. Alan is as much responsible as myself and Ray Wilkins. We are all in this together and I wanted Alan here for these kinds of scenarios.

"He is 100 per cent supportive of myself and Ray, and we will plan together to get the best possible results for the next games and the coming months. The owner understands the situation. He has supported me in the transfer window and his success in business is built on trusting the right people."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10615716/Rene-Meulensteens-job-as-at-Fulham-manager-in-jeopardy-due-to-dire-defence.html

WhiteJC

Fulham's René Meulensteen claims '100% support' of owner Shahid Khan
• Manager insists he has full 'confidence of players'
• Alan Curbishley's presence at club 'not a threat'

René Meulensteen believes he retains the backing of the Fulham owner, Shahid Khan, and does not consider the presence of the experienced Alan Curbishley on the club's staff as a threat to his position as manager.

Fulham prop up the Premier League after Saturday's demoralising home defeat to Southampton, their fourth league loss in succession, and play Sheffield United of League One in an FA Cup fourth round replay on Tuesday.

Meulensteen, who boasted no experience as a senior manager on his appointment in December, has lost eight of 11 league games after taking up the reins when Fulham had 10 points from 13 matches.

The owner sanctioned the arrivals of seven players in January, which served as public backing for his rookie manager. "It was a huge statement of intent to back us with the transfer money," Meulensteen said. "I had the privilege to meet Mr Khan in America over the summer and, straight away, I felt he was a really thorough, amicable man who's very successful in business. He doesn't do anything knee-jerk. He thinks about things and there's a rationale to everything. His whole business is built on getting the right people in and trusting them to do the right things. He understands the situation all right. I have full respect and admiration for the support he's given me and the club in the last transfer window. He's been absolutely top drawer.

"I stay in regular contact with him and all I can do is live up to his expectations and that's what I intend to do. I have his support 100% but more importantly I have the full confidence of the squad."

Curbishley, who has experienced successful scraps against relegation as a manager with Charlton and West Ham, was confirmed as technical director over Christmas on Meulensteen's recommendation, in much the same way that the Dutchman's arrival as head coach had been promoted by the former manager, Martin Jol.

Fulham are arguably playing more purposeful football than earlier in the campaign but chances are being missed and their defence is more porous – they have shipped 29 goals in 11 games– than it had been over the first four months of the season.

In that context, Curbishley's presence could be considered unnerving. "Not at all," Meulensteen said. "I brought Alan into this club as part of my squad, to give me the best possible backbone. He's as much responsible as myself, Ray Wilkins, John Hill and Mike Priest. Were all in this together. I wanted Alan here for these scenarios: he has gone through that roller-coaster of emotion before. He is utterly 100% supportive of me, Ray and all the others. We keep making sure we move forward in the right way and get the right plan together for the next couple of months."

Only Clint Dempsey of the recent arrivals is eligible to play against Sheffield United, with a similar blend of youth and fringe players expected to take to the pitch, though Meulensteen is hopeful Fulham's record signing, the £12m Greek striker Kostas Mitroglou, will be fit to feature at Manchester United on Sunday.

The club shed its "luxury" players over January with Dimitar Berbatov, Bryan Ruiz and Adel Taarabt departing. "The only way to get out of this mess is to have a stack of totally committed players who want to work and do the necessary job," Meulensteen said. "Because of where we are, the job has to change slightly. We have to be more disciplined defensively, more organised, instead of just flying forward. Look at the quality and the experience that we have in the squad, the determination. The ingredients are there for us to stay up. It's up to us to make sure that happens."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/03/fulham-rene-meulensteen-support-owner

WhiteJC

David's Desire

Having made two appearances for Fulham in this season's FA Cup with Budweiser, Chris David is desperate to be involved again on Tuesday evening.

The young Dutchman was handed his Whites debut in the prestigious competition in last month's 1-1 draw at Norwich City in the Third Round.

"Everyone knows the FA Cup," David told the official matchday programme. "It's one of the biggest cup tournaments in the world. It was a special day for me making my debut. I'd been here a year and I'd worked hard for that moment, so yes it was a special occasion for me and I hope I get more chances and more minutes for Fulham.

"I'd already played some games in pre-season but this was my debut. When I went on the pitch, I felt something in my stomach. It was an amazing feeling. When the game kicked off, I just wanted to show people what I could do. I didn't think about the crowd after that, I just tried to play my game."

The 20-year-old played the full 90 minutes at Carrow Road before again being handed a starting role in the Fourth Round tie away to Sheffield United.

At a rain-drenched Bramall Lane, David played for just under an hour as Fulham departed Yorkshire with a 1-1 draw to tee up the Replay with the Sky Bet League One Blades.

"We were expecting a tough game up there as cup matches are always difficult," said David. "It was played on a tough pitch in wet conditions against a team who were probably happy to sit back and defend and wait for their moment to hit us on the break. It was difficult for us to play and we could have done better but we tried our best and we got a draw. Now it's up us to beat them on Tuesday."

To read the full interview with David, pick up an official matchday programme on Tuesday.

Other key content in the only matchday magazine that matters - which is available to download digitally from 12pm on Tuesday - include: 

René Meulensteen pens his regular programme notes
Moussa Dembélé takes the Fulham 50 challenge
Andy Melville recalls a goalscoring performance against Sheffield United
Former Blades star Brian Deane assesses the Cottage encounter
Beautiful South singer Paul Heaton discusses his lifelong love for the Blades
And Alain Goma looks back on his playing stint in SW6

Priced £3, the 68-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Fans can also order copies directly from www.programmemaster.com
The programme is also available as an app with added video content from 12pm on Tuesday via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags. You can subscribe for the whole season for the digital edition or buy a single issue for £1.99.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/04/david-desire?

WhiteJC

Blades boss Nigel Clough ready for Cup replay at Fulham

Sheffield United boss Nigel Clough has challenged his charges to repeat their Villa Park heroics when they travel to Fulham on Tuesday night.

The Blades produced one of the results of the Third Round Proper when they eliminated Premier League Aston Villa on their own patch, with goals from Jamie Murphy and Ryan Flynn condemning the Midlanders to an early exit.

And United were just 15 minutes away from a second successive top-flight scalp toward the end of last month, until Hugo Rodallega popped up and salvaged a draw for Fulham at a wet and windy Bramall Lane.

The sides will meet again in their replay at Craven Cottage on Tuesday, with both teams looking to cast aside their recent league travails for one evening.

United, who lost 3-0 at Crewe Alexandra last weekend, are locked in a relegation battle in League One, while Fulham prop up the Premier League table after slumping to a 3-0 home defeat against Southampton.

Despite the fact that the battle for league survival is at the forefront of Clough's mind, the former Nottingham Forest and Liverpool striker insists he would love nothing more than to book his side's place in the last 16 of The Cup.

He said: "It's not a distraction, it gives us an opportunity to get through to the last 16 - you don't get many chances like that.

"Fulham become firm favourites and they don't play again until next Sunday, so they've got a five-day break. We're both coming off the back of 3-0 losses at the weekend, so we'll both be hurting and looking for a reaction.

"It's sort of similar to Villa Park, let's enjoy it and have a go as well. When we get down there we will want to get through.

"Everybody's fit at the moment. We've just got the two lads who are Cup-tied who will drop out of the squad from Saturday, Billy Paynter and Elliott Whitehouse.

"So Diego De Girolamo comes back and we'll take one of the U18s with us. We'll think about [making changes] in the next 24 hours and see."

Fulham have strengthened significantly since the clash at Bramall Lane, with head coach Rene Meulensteen drafting in the likes of Lewis Holtby, Johnny Heitinga and Greece striker Kostas Mitroglou, but Clough is relieved that they will not be eligible to face his side.

He added: "I think he'll pick a much-changed side from the one which played at Bramall Lane. None of their new lads can play though, which is good. You had to be registered before the first game at Bramall Lane."

Read more at http://www.thefa.com//news/the-fa-cup/2014/feb/fulham-sheffield-united-nigel-clough-preview-040214?#CKx65TLv8yJFFU8m.99

WhiteJC

Price Boost: Fulham striker can put Sheffield Utd to the sword
Bent hasn't scored many but has developed trends that suggest he'll bag in FA Cup replay

When Sheffield United come to Craven Cottage, they'll encounter a side whose confidence, if it's at all possible, has fractured further since their 1-1 draw at Bramall Lane just over a week ago.

That draw against Nigel Clough's League One improvers – they've lost just four times since he took charge 18 games ago – is part of a four-game winless run for Rene Meulensteen's side, although that's not enough to render them the outsiders.

The Cottagers are 8/13 to win the match, with the Blades available at 5/1 and a draw rated as a 11/4 possibility.

However, it's in the first goalscorer market that the value is attributed, with Darren Bent receiving a price boost on his odds to break the deadlock.

The former Tottenham man is now 9/2 to score first in this FA Cup replay, out from 4/1. Even though he is a large reason as to why the first match ended level, missing a chance with four minutes to go that Sandra Redknapp could have scored,  he still represents a decent bet.

Fulham's number 39 has scored five goals in 24 appearances for the west London club this season, hardly a glowing endorsement of his skills admittedly, but the strikes he does have to his name indicates a sixth is on the cards here.

A creature of clear home comfort, Bent has notched four of his tally at Craven Cottage while scoring in two of his last three FA Cup appearances.
What's more, Aston Villa's former bench warmer has broken the deadlock in three straight games in which he's found the net.

Finally, it matters very little whether the 29-year-old plays from the off or is introduced off the pine, as he's notched three times as a substitute while also scoring in two of his last three starts.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/fa-cup/price-boost-fulham-striker-can-put-sheffield-utd-to-the-sword_186268.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v Sheffield United – FA Cup Fourth Round replay preview

Fulham's promising youngsters will have another chance to fire the Whites into the FA Cup Fifth Round when League One Sheffield United visit Craven Cottage on Tuesday.

A fourth consecutive Premier League defeat left Fulham four points from safety at the bottom of the table on Saturday. However the visitors without a win in their last five games in all competitions.

Nigel Clough's Blades were on the brink of one of the biggest upsets in Round Four when Chris Porter put the Football League side ahead against Rene Meulensteen's young Fulham. However, Michael Doyle's second half dismissal allowed the Premier League side back into the match, and Hugo Rodellega forced a replay late on.

Four-time FA Cup winners Sheffield United – currently 23rd in League One – were battered 3-0 at fellow relegation candidates Crewe Alexandra on Saturday, whilst Fulham were beaten by the same scoreline at home to Southampton. Both teams will have a chance to forget their poor league form and fight for the opportunity to host either Nottingham Forest or Preston North End in Round Five.

Fulham have never beat the Blades in the FA Cup, but Sheffield United have not won at Craven Cottage since 1985. However the Sheffield club haven't won at the Cottage since 1985, with their last trip to Fulham ending in a 1-0 defeat.

Team news

Fulham's new influx of signings are ineligible to feature as they were not registered in time for the original tie. Therefore Kostas Mitroglou, Larnell Cole, Lewis Holtby, Ryan Tunnicliffe, William Kvist and John Heitinga will all watch the replay from the stands. Fulham's new boys could be joined by John Arne Riise, Fernando Amorebieta and Matthew Briggs who are all struggling with injuries.

Sheffield United striker Chris Porter could return from a hamstring strain in time to start against Fulham on Tuesday. Blades midfielder Michael Doyle serves the second match of a three-game ban for the red card he picked up against the Whites at Bramall Lane.

http://blog.marathonbet.com/?p=11105

WhiteJC

FFC U18s 2-1 Leicester U18s

Watch the goals as substitute George Williams completed the comeback as the Whites kept up their winning streak.

Fulham 2-1 Leicester, Barclays U18 Premier League

Fulham's Under-18s left it late again to secure a 2-1 victory over Leicester City at Motspur Park on Saturday.

The Whites started brightly, dominating the early play and bossing possession only to fall behind in the 10th minute after some sloppy defending allowed a Leicester player to sneak in at the far post and meet a cross before bundling the ball home.

It was all Fulham for the remainder of the half, but the Whites couldn't break down a stubborn Leicester defence, with Aaron Redford missing a couple of good chances.

Trailing at the break, the Whites made two changes on 55 minutes, with Patrick Roberts and George Williams entering the fray.

And the Whites levelled five minutes later when Jordan Evans' corner found Liam Donnelly at the back stick and the defender headed home.

With the game heading for a draw, the Whites snatched victory when good build-up play eventually saw the ball worked to Roberts. His disguised pass found Williams who made no mistake.

It was the third game in a row that Fulham have won a match in the last 10 minutes.

Fulham: Norman, Sheckleford, Donnelly, Adebayo (Burgess 65), Evans, Sambou, Baba, Foday, Leacock-McLeod, Elworthy (Roberts 55), Redford (Williams 55).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/04/leicester-u18-video?

WhiteJC

Rene Meulensteen plans to mix youth with experience

Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen has revealed that he plans to field a mix of young and experienced players for tonight's FA Cup fourth-round replay against Sheffield United at Craven Cottage.

The Cottagers were held to a 1-1 draw by the League One side when the teams met at Bramall Lane last month.

"It's a good opportunity to utilise the squad and blend in some young players to give them that experience," the Dutchman told the club's official website.

"The younger players we've used so far have done extremely well so we're going to come up with a good team selection."

Fulham reached the fourth round of last season's competition before losing 4-1 to Manchester United at Old Trafford.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/fa-cup/news/meulensteen-to-mix-youth-with-experience_135107.html

WhiteJC

Three reasons why Sheffield Utd will knock Fulham out of the FA Cup
After losing for the 18th time this season last time out in the Premier League, the Cottagers' confidence must be shot to pieces

Two sides haunted by relegation in their respective divisions clash when League One Sheffield United travel to Fulham for an FA Cup fourth-round replay and the visitors, who've lost just three of their last 14 fixtures, look terrific value at 9/2 to take their second successive Premier League scalp.

Having taken over a side that had managed to win once in their first 14 fixtures, Nigel Clough has steered the Blades to victory in seven of his 18 games in charge.

Sheffield United may be languishing in the nether regions of League One, but that's largely due to their horrendous start to the season under former gaffer David Weir, who oversaw seven losses, two draws and a single win in their first ten league games.

Former Derby boss Clough has only tasted defeat five times with the same group of players since taking over three months ago and the cramped state of the division means a couple of wins in the games they have in hand over close rivals could see them jump up to mid-table.

After seeing off Aston Villa away in the last round, Craven Cottage and a Fulham side with the lowest points tally in the 92-team pyramid will hold no fear for the Blades.

Striker Kostas Mitroglou and Fulham's other deadline-day signings aren't eligible to play, while the Cottagers' defensive injury problems are mounting.

Mitroglou, Lewis Holtby and Johnny Heitinga will all sit out this cup tie, as they weren't registered with Fulham before the 1-1 draw at Bramall Lane.

A team that's scored just once in their last four fixtures could use a striker who's already bagged 21 goals for club and country this season, but the area of greatest need for Fulham is at the back.

Kieran Richardson and Sascha Riether face late fitness tests and could join fellow defenders John Arne Riise and Fernando Amorebieta on the sidelines, which will heap more responsibility on the shoulders of Premier League rookies William Kvist and Dan Burn.

Rene Meulensteen's men have lost 14 of their last 20 matches in all competitions.

Fulham aren't just propping up the Premier League, they're also rock bottom of the top-flight form table – having won just once in their last six matches – and could be the first team this season to be cut adrift, with 17th-placed Crystal Palace now four points better off than them.

The west Londoners have made losing a habit this season and have only avoided defeat in six of their fixtures since the end of October.

At 8/15, Fulham represent no value and another Sheffield Utd shock looks very much on the cards in the capital.

Top bet: Sheff Utd to beat Fulham @ 9/2

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/reasons-sheffield-utd-knock-fulham-fa-cup,51541.html?#sthash.Wz6YXHTW.dpuf

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

I'm still standing by my prediction that Fulham will stay up this season. The Barclays Premier League table doesn't make good reading right now but it's so important to stay positive.

We've got four tough league games coming up but if we can still be in touch after that, the last six fixtures really play in our favour. Look at the run-ins of the other teams around us – Norwich City, for instance, have to play the top four in their final four games.

The minute you become negative about things, you're doomed. I was involved in three relegations – one for Fulham and two for West Ham United so I've been there and I know one result can change things in an instant.

Alan Curbishley knows all about staying up. When he went to West Ham, they survived on the final day of the season with a win away at Manchester United. They're the sort of things that can happen and, with 14 games left, there's still plenty of time for Fulham to get out of this predicament.

I just hope now that the new signings can hit the ground running because there's no time to readjust. The signings had to be made, without a doubt, and I was pleased with the dealings we did.

Going through them one by one, let's start with Lewis Holtby. He's a good player. He made his name as a goalscoring midfielder in Germany and it's important we find a system that suits him.

Konstantinos Mitroglou's been in good form in the Greek Super League so I hope he can bring that with him. I've seen him play a few times in the UEFA Champions League and he's showed a lot of promise.

John Heitinga's a good signing. He's a no-nonsense player and he's experienced in the top flight. He can do two jobs – he can play at the back or in a holding role in midfield.

I have to admit, I don't know much about William Kvist. He played in a holding role on Saturday and did okay, and he could be a good asset to have in the squad.

The two boys from Manchester United, Larnell Cole and Ryan Tunnicliffe, were probably made more with the future in mind, but René Meulensteen knows them well from his time at Old Trafford and I'm told Red Devils fans weren't too pleased about their departures so hopefully that bodes well for us.

Four players left the Club, too. I wasn't surprised by the exit of Adel Taarabt – I said he was a gamble when he signed. Philippe Senderos was a decent player but he made too many errors for my liking. Aaron Hughes was a good servant to the Club but he deserved to playing week in, week out, and he'll get that at Queens Park Rangers. Dimitar Berbatov was an enigma and an incredible talent but I don't think he was the easiest to work with. I must say that I loved watching him play when he was at it but a move away was probably best for all parties.

Saturday's loss to Southampton was a funny one. As Sven Göran-Eriksson used to say, 'first half good, second half not so good.' Once we went 1-0 down, we got picked off. It just shows how important it is to take your chances when they come along. Brede Hangeland had a header well saved and Darren Bent had two good opportunities. That's what happens when you're down the bottom – chances don't come along too often and when they do you sometimes snatch at them. Hopefully Mitroglou will be the answer. He's a gamble, but it's a gamble worth taking if we want to stay in the Premier League.

We play Sheffield United on Tuesday night in the FA Cup with Budweiser Fourth Round Replay and we should make home advantage count. It could be a chance for some of the younger players to feature again and they've impressed me when I've seen them play.

Then on Sunday we head to Manchester United. They're giving everyone a chance this season. Even when they beat Cardiff City when Juan Mata made his debut, the away side still had chances. If those chances arise, you have to take them, it's as simple as that. But I'd take a point now as United will be stung after losing at Stoke City at the weekend. Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie are both fit but they have got problems in defence. So it shouldn't be a case of sitting back - we need to try and score.

A few days later we host Liverpool at home. Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge are up there with the best top-flight partnerships right now but Liverpool have got their weaknesses – West Bromwich Albion showed that they can be got at defensively. You have to make it a high-tempo game and get into them. It's a match Fulham can win.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/04/the-tony-gale-column?

WhiteJC

Three reasons why Fulham sacking Meulensteen will see them relegated
Alan Curbishley may be waiting in the wings at Craven Cottage, but history suggests losing another boss would send the west Londoners down.

Rumours abound that Fulham – who are 8/15 to beat Sheffield Utd in their FA Cup fourth-round replay – will sack coach Rene Meulensteen and appoint technical director Alan Curbishley in his place, following their 3-0 loss at home to Southampton.

The Cottagers may be rock bottom and favourites to go down at 1/2, but three-manager seasons – as Curbishley should know only too well – tend to end in disaster.

Southampton 2004/05. Managed by Paul Sturrock, Steve Wigley and Harry Redknapp. Finished 20th.

Gordon Strachan's resignation in March 2004 sent the Saints into a tailspin they've only recovered from in recent years.

Paul Sturrock took over with Southampton in 12th and kept them there until the end of the season, but his time at the club ended two matches into the following campaign after alleged problems with the playing staff.

Reserve team coach Steve Wigley took over, but was replaced by Harry Redknapp with the Saints in the relegation zone after one win from 14 games.

Despite winning 20 points with Redknapp in charge, Southampton lost their top-flight status for the first time in 27 years when finishing bottom on a dramatic final day.

Charlton 2006/07. Managed by Iain Dowie, Les Reed, Alan Pardew. Finished 19th.

Curbishley could tell a cautionary tale of his own regarding managerial security, as he kept Charlton in the Premier League for six successive seasons at the start of this century, before quitting the Addicks after more than 700 games in charge.

Iain Dowie took over, but was sacked after overseeing just two wins in his first 12 games and his replacement Les Reed didn't make it past Boxing Day, when Charlton sat a point off the bottom of the league.

They finished the season in 19th, despite the best efforts of their third boss of the season, Alan Pardew, to keep them up.
Newcastle 2008/09. Managed by Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear and Alan Shearer. Finished 18th.

The third coming of Keegan on Tyneside ended in tears once again, after the 'love it!' legend scuttled off into the sunset claiming 'it wasn't like it said on the brochure'.

Joe Kinnear took over from Keegan in September 2008 and promptly went about insulting north east media correspondents with the choicest of terms, before leaving the club in February 2009 to undergo heart surgery.

Geordie hero Alan Shearer took over and comprehensively proved himself a better analyst than a coach, taking five points from a possible 24 and leading his beloved Newcastle into the Championship.

Fulham to beat Sheff Utd @ 57/100

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/reasons-fulham-sacking-meulensteen-relegated,51565.html?#sthash.moUUg6m2.dpuf