Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (21.05.10)

Started by White Noise, May 20, 2010, 11:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

West Ham to battle Fulham for signature of Villa defender Nicky Shorey

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 9:45 PM on 20th May 2010

West Ham are interested in Aston Villa left-back Nicky Shorey.

The 29-year-old is expected to join Fulham after spending the last few months there on loan but West Ham are willing to make an offer.

Palermo, meanwhile, are stepping up their interest in West Ham's £8.5m midfielder Valon Behrami.

Palermo sporting director Walter Sabatini said: 'I will do everything I can to bring Behrami to Palermo.'

Palermo could raise cash from Simon Kjaer's sale with Arsenal and Tottenham keen.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1280027/West-Ham-battle-Fulham-signature-Villa-defender-Nicky-Shorey.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0oVhXQuox

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-bid-hibs-defender-bamba-852511

Fulham to bid for Hibs defender Bamba

21.05.10 | tribalfootball.com

Sol Bamba is a shock target for Fulham.

The Ivory Coast international is preparing for the World Cup, but could sign for the Cottagers in the coming days.

The Scottish Daily Express says Fulham are ready to table a pre-World Cup bid of £1 million for Bamba.

White Noise

David Nugent, Kevin Prince Boateng and Nadir Belhadj to follow Avram Grant out of Portsmouth

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 8:52 PM on 20th May 2010

Portsmouth are ready to write off £4.5million by selling striker David Nugent for just £1.5m - with Bolton front of the queue.

Former England striker Nugent heads a list of players administrator Andrew Andronikou wants to offload to raise £15m.

Andronikou will also spark a scramble for midfielder Kevin Prince Boateng after valuing him at £3m, Algerian Nadir Belhadj is available for £3.5m and Fulham target, defender Marc Wilson, at £2.5m.

Sochaux hope to follow up interest in John Utaka after being told he can go for £2m.

Andronikou said: 'The reality of the situation is every player has his price. We are looking to make £15m from selling four to six players.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1280038/David-Nugent-Kevin-Prince-Boateng-Nadir-Belhadj-follow-Avram-Grant-Portsmouth.html#ixzz0oViY9Wrv

HatterDon

I'd like us to sign Boateng if for no other reason that to have him kick the crap out of Ballack twice a season.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on May 21, 2010, 12:36:13 AM
I'd like us to sign Boateng if for no other reason that to have him kick the crap out of Ballack twice a season.

I think all of them (Nugent, Belhadj, Boateng, Wilson) could be quite useful for Hodgson. Cheap, hungry, and ready to prove point in the Premiership.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/5/20/1480384/del-neri-named-new-coach-of?
Del Neri named new coach of Juventus

On May 15th in my Cottagers Daily Rumor Mill  I had conflicting stories regarding Roy Hodgson and potential interest from Juventus in him possibly becoming there new coach. I had a link to a Daily Mail story mentioning that Roy might be a target for Juventus as their new coach.  I also had a Goal.com story linking Luigi Del Neri to becoming the new coach of Juventus.

According to ESPNsoccernet.com article  "Juventus confirm Del Neri appointment"  Luigi Del Neri has been named the new coach for Juventus. This story mentions he left as coach of Sampdoria earlier this week.

It is quite possible Roy Hodgson will be linked to rumors of other potential coaching positions this summer.  This happens when you have a successful season.

The Equalizer

Boateng is a very decent player, but his penalty against chelsea was one of the worst I've ever seen.

He looks like someone suffering from Primadonnitis and needs to be brought down to earth a bit!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/HodgsonPraiseForDuff.aspx?
A Glowing Report

Damien Duff's playing career was reignited at Fulham last season following a frustrating spell with Newcastle United.

Manager Roy Hodgson, having previously worked with Duff at Blackburn Rovers, had certainly not lost faith in the winger's abilities, and has been rewarded handsomely in his decision to bring Duff to SW6 last summer.

"He's [Duff] been outstanding and he's a very, very good player," Hodgson explained. "I'm sure when the annals of Irish football history are written, and there have been some good players over the years, Damien's going to be right up there with them.

"He'd have his 100 caps already if it were not for one or two quite serious injuries that kept him out for maybe one or two years. For us he's been the Damien I got to know as a young boy at Blackburn Rovers and I've been following him ever since.

"He was a much younger, somewhat shyer person because he was just starting his career. He was making his early steps, establishing himself in the Blackburn First Team.

"When I brought him back here he had a Premier League championship medal from his time at Chelsea and has had big money moves from Blackburn to Chelsea and Chelsea to Newcastle.

"He was always very clever and intelligent in his play but ten years of experience haven't done him any harm either. He's done very, very well for us. Several people tried to persuade me that he's a totally different player, but I'm pleased to say those people have been wrong and I was right, because if anything, he's a better player today."

Hodgson was also keen to highlight the character of Duff, a person that Hodgson describes as 'a football man,' and a player who clearly puts his performances on the pitch above and beyond any other factors that come with playing top flight football.

"Damien Duff didn't come to Fulham for money that's for sure," said Hodgson. "If he wanted serious money he'd of stayed at Newcastle and seen his contract out. He came here to play football and that's what he's done.

"Knowing the person, knowing his character and knowing his reasons for wanting to leave Newcastle and come here – to play football. It was, quite frankly, 'I'll come to Fulham and earn less, because that's where I want to play my football.'

"That is very, very rare in football terms and it's the mark of the man and his character. He has an unbelievable desire to play football. Damien will always play football, god willing that his legs keep going. I can imagine Damien playing at the age of 50, just for the fun of it, because he's a football man."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/HodgsonPraiseForDuff.aspx?#ixzz0oXjio7TH

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199267
Fulham - Konchesky Latest!
If the tabloids are to get there way then Paul Konchesky will not be at Craven Cottage next season.

Konchesky, a more than capable left back, is another who Birmingham seem desperate to get on board and the tabloids have us down as having rejected a fee of £1.5 million for his talents with other sources now implying a revised bid of £2.5 million could be heading our way.

Just to add a little intrigue to the situation, there`s the slight matter of throwing Bolton Wanderers into the scenario!

Now we might be biased but given a choice of a move to either Birmingham or Bolton wouldn`t you just look away and opt to stay at the fine club you`re at now?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199267#ixzz0oXk9g34Q

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199269
Fulham - Zamora Prices Himself Out?
The tabloids seem to be having a field day do they not!

Our season hasn`t even been over two weeks and already the tabloids have us hawking the crown jewels around!

Apparently, according to one renowned tabloid, Birmingham City have not only been sniffing around Bobby Zamora and offered a fee but they`ve come to the conclusion that, in order to capture their target, the weekly salary would be too high and his re-sale figure not worth the outlay our club wants.

And there we were thinking Bobby was recuperating from his injury!

Tabloids! Don`t you just love them?

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199266
Fulham - Hands Off!
After speculation grew that Roy Hodgson had expressed an interest in signing the Bristol City forward, Nicky Maynard, we inevitably covered the story with an article.

Maynard, who has started to impress several watching scouts with his performances at Ashton Gate, was rumoured to be the subject of a £5 million bid, earlier this week.

Now whether there is an ounce of truth in the matter or whether it`s just the tabloids doing what they do best, we`ll never truly know.

But today they`ve seen fit to print a curt hands-off warning from Bristol City!

Not for sale at that price or do City want a few more £50 notes thrown onto the negotiating table?

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199297
Fulham - Safe; For Now
Amid great speculation regarding the future of our legendary manager, Roy Hodgson, at least one potential suitor has gratefully pulled out of the running.

Rumours were rife over Hodgson's future after steering our humble team all but inches away from a major European Trophy.

With his now World wide status in mind, Juventus were touted as favourites to ploy Roy away from the Thames but, quite thankfully I might add, Juve have put faith into the Italian management talent pool and pulled out ex-Sampdoria manager, Luigi Del Neri.

A great relief it may be, but Liverpool still wait in the lurch and we can't hold onto Sir Woy forever.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/hodgson-tribute-duff-after-first-fulham-season-853861?
Hodgson tribute to Duff after first Fulham season

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson was delighted with Damien Duff's first season at Craven Cottage.

Hodgson, having previously worked with Duff at Blackburn Rovers, had certainly not lost faith in the winger's abilities, and has been rewarded handsomely in his decision to bring Duff to SW6 last summer.

"He's [Duff] been outstanding and he's a very, very good player," Hodgson told fulhamfc.com. "I'm sure when the annals of Irish football history are written, and there have been some good players over the years, Damien's going to be right up there with them.

"If he wanted serious money he'd of stayed at Newcastle and seen his contract out. He came here to play football and that's what he's done.

"Knowing the person, knowing his character and knowing his reasons for wanting to leave Newcastle and come here – to play football. It was, quite frankly, 'I'll come to Fulham and earn less, because that's where I want to play my football.'

"That is very, very rare in football terms and it's the mark of the man and his character. He has an unbelievable desire to play football. Damien will always play football, god willing that his legs keep going. I can imagine Damien playing at the age of 50, just for the fun of it, because he's a football man."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/05/21/clint-dempsey-out-to-wreck-england-s-world-cup-dreams-82029-26487168/
Clint Dempsey fully charged for England World Cup showdown

FULHAM star Clint Dempsey reckons the misery of being injured twice in a World Cup year has been a blessing in disguise.

The American forward has suffered his worst campaign for injuries since he arrived in west London three years ago - but insists he is now fitter than ever.

What's more, the Texas talent is ready to inflict damage on England's World Cup hopes when the two meet in Rustenberg, South Africa, on June 12 in Group C's opening match.

While other Premiership stars in the World Cup have been flogging away through a hard winter, Dempsey has at least had a chance to recharge the batteries after a gruelling qualifying campaign last summer.

He said: "I have to look at my time out in a positive light.

"It gave me a chance to step back from the game and reflect on things, and see what I can improve.

"I was able to hit the gym a little bit, which kept me busy. All in all, it's been a good experience and made me more hungry."

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23836495-sir-alex-ferguson-is-the-perfect-man-to-rule-britannia.do

Sir Alex Ferguson is the perfect man to rule Britannia

John Inverdale

The team sheet is almost complete. Now we have the two mascots in place, we can really start planning properly for 2012. The sun continues to shine, the 10,000-plus workforce continue to beaver away getting stadia and infrastructure ready. Wenlock and Mandeville will travel the length and breadth of the country spreading the Olympic gospel, safe in the knowledge that it's "so far so good".

However, among the ts still to be crossed remains the issue of appointing the manager for the Great Britain team to compete in the Olympic football.

There seems to be a strong lobby behind Fulham boss Roy Hodgson as the man to bring several disparate elements together for a month in July 2012, but the whole point of this team is that they are representing Great Britain, even though an intransigent Scottish FA are maintaining their aversion to any of their players being available.

This is despite the strong historical link that Scotland has with the concept of a Great Britain team. It's worth noting that on the only two occasions in the past that a professional team have played under that banner, in 1947 and 1955, the first took place in front of 135,000 people at Hampden Park while one of Scottish football's greatest heroes, Billy Liddell, actually played in both matches.

There does remain, though, one very obvious way of ensuring the Great Britain team that take the field in 2012 are not England by any other name. Appoint a Scottish manager. And there really can only be one.

Another two seasons at Manchester United will surely see Sir Alex Ferguson considering various options to move upstairs or outside Old Trafford altogether. He remains the most widely respected manager within the game and beyond. He didn't receive the outstanding contribution to British sport accolade at the Sport Industry Awards last week for nothing.

What better way for him to bid farewell to the dug-out than at Wembley or at the Olympic Stadium, perhaps in an Olympic final? He has done everything else in a CV stretching from Aberdeen to the Stretford End, winning countless leagues and cups, European titles and leading his country to a World Cup.

And as it has been such a long time since a Great Britain team played under that name, it's a pretty safe bet no one else will receive such a managerial accolade in most of our lifetimes.

When asked about the job several months ago, Sir Alex batted it away but I'm led to believe he's warming to the prospect. He surely hasn't put too many noses out of joint for him to be acceptable as the face of Olympic football.

And the powers-that-be can't be worried that he might not fancy standing for God Save The Queen? Think of it from the Olympic perspective. Every time Sir Alex is interviewed he'll be asked about it.

He'd probably do his utmost to get Wayne Rooney selected as one of the over-age players. And as a PR stunt for a sport that a lot of Olympians still regard as peripheral to the main core of the Games, it would be a giant coup.

They could even make cuddly fluffy toys that look like him. Let's face it, Fergie sounds like the name of a mascot. And, with all due respect to Wenlock and Mandeville, if Sir Alex was appointed now as the face of British Olympic football, he'd probably do almost as much good in spreading the word over the next 114 Fridays.

Because yep. The Games really are that close now.

Serotonin

Quote from: HatterDon on May 21, 2010, 12:36:13 AM
:045:

Burt

A cheeky bid for Belhadj would be a good move, in my view.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/FulhamBadgersgotoHongKong.aspx
Fulham Badgers go to Hong Kong

Fulham Football Club Foundation's Down's Syndrome football team, the Fulham Badgers, are due to start their journey to Hong Kong on Saturday 22 May 2010.

Since the start of this year, over £60,000 has been raised in order to give the players an experience of a lifetime. The fundraising campaign has been led by Fulham FC Foundation, together with support from the Fulham Badgers themselves and the Down's Syndrome Association. The campaign has seen family, friends, businesses, work colleagues and Fulham fans all donate to raise the necessary funds.

The trip will see 14 young people with Down's Syndrome, and their parents, travelling to Hong Kong from 22nd May – 29th May. This will be the first time a UK Down's Syndrome football team has travelled to Asia to play football, as they take on the Hong Kong Dragons in a tournament.

The Fulham Badgers are a group of young people aged between 10 and 23, with Down's Syndrome, that participate in a weekly-run football project organised by Fulham Football Club Foundation and the Down's Syndrome Association.

The Hong Kong Dragons visited London in May 2009 and spent a lot of time with the Fulham Badgers taking part in coaching sessions, tournaments and watched Fulham v Everton at Craven Cottage. Following the success of this, planning started to arrange a return trip.

The Fulham Badgers team will fly out with Air New Zealand on the 22nd May 2010, on what promises to be a life changing trip for all involved. As part of their memorable visit to Hong Kong the young people will get to take part in quality disability football coaching in one of the world's most impressive stadiums coupled with the opportunity of playing in a football tournament run by Hong Kong FC.

They will be able to explore the delights of Hong Kong through organised sightseeing trips giving them the opportunity to experience a different culture and adding to the uniqueness of the trip, businessman, Sir David Tang will be hosting the group at his famous China Club. Fulham Football Club Foundation will also be putting on a special welcome reception dinner at Hong Kong FC for players, partners and other guests to celebrate the inaugural trip with their hosts. Such events will have a lasting impact on the Badgers and their families which they will be able to draw on and remember for many years to come.

Steven Day, Chief Executive Officer with Fulham Football Club Foundation said: 'The Foundation is dedicated to pioneering initiatives such as these and living up to our aim of building better lives through sport. The Fulham Badgers team are a great example of the work we do within the community and I'm extremely pleased that we are able to take the team on a once in a lifetime journey to visit the Hong Kong Dragons.'

In order to ensure the Badgers set off in style, the Fulham Football Club Foundation held a Good Luck event on Thursday 20th May 2010 at the Motspur Park Training Ground. The team was presented with the new kit for their trip by Fulham Football Club ex-players Kit Symons and Gary Brazil, who currently work as part of the Club's Academy.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/FulhamBadgersgotoHongKong.aspx#ixzz0oZInNZPB

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/5/21/1481642/real-or-rumor-stories-recently
Share Real or Rumor? Stories recently regarding Arsenal and Fulham make me ask that question

Almost immediately after Fulham played their last game against Atletico Madrid I started reading and watching stories regarding links to Fulham players and their manager. When a team gets to a Final of a European competition I guess it should be expected to read and hear stories regarding the club.

In the case of Arsenal I would imagine a fan expects their to be stories linking their players to other clubs. Arsenal is a big club that has many great players. Many of the top teams in Europe in my opinion will most likely always look to upgrade their club. A good place to look for talent would be a team like Arsenal, Manchester United, and Chelsea. Their has been many stories lately regarding an Arsenal star player. 

For fans of these two clubs, they see stories in the media with links to their players or in the case of Fulham their manager. I would think no fan of either club wants to see a part of their team linked to somewhere else. Over the past week after reading and hearing stories about these 2 clubs I started to ask myself this question. When is a story real and when is it a rumor?     

My example for Fulham is the links to Roy Hodgson this week. Last Saturday I saw two different stories in the media regarding Hodgson. One story was a link to the Juventus job. The other story had the now new coach Luigi Del Neri about to become the Juventus coach. I wrote a post about these conflicting stories in my Daily Cottagers Rumor Mill last Saturday. I decided to present both stories in my column to show that their were two completely different views regarding who might be the next coach of Juventus.   

The first story from the Daily Mail had  the headline "Italian job for Roy Hodgson as Juventus target Fulham chief".This story started with a mention that Hodgson could be going back to Italy.  The story also mentions that he is on a rolling one year contract from Fulham. The Daily Mail story also has this quote from Hodgson. 'If the day comes when a so-called big club wants me, and I'm available, then I would be happy to do it.'  Hodgson stated. I read the Daily Mail often and happen to think they do a very good job at covering football. I don't doubt the validity of the story. I am sure there were source or sources for this article. This was their version on the Juventus coaching job.

Now, Goal.com had a story on the same day regarding the Juventus coaching job. The headline for this story was "Report: Juventus To Name Luigi Del Neri As Boss Next Week" .  This story mentions that Del Neri is set to quit Sampdoria to be the next coach of Juventus. This information is according to La Gazzetta dello Sport Newspaper. This story also had details that he had not signed yet but had agreed to a two-year contract  worth €1.5 million a season to coach Juventus. Now, this Goal.com story had some pertinent information regarding a contract.

Both stories I believe were completely legitimate news stories. The Goal.com story became a reality when Del Neri signed with Juventus. My advice on these stories for the fan is you have to wait and see how the story develops. Before you think a player is gone or a manager has left just wait until there is confirmation. Trust me it is tough to hear these stories about the club you follow. I also need to take my own advice and wait until the story becomes reality.

My example for Arsenal fans is the story of Cesc Fabregas.  A few days ago a story broke that Cesc Fabregas wanted to leave Arsenal and go play for Barcelona. Multiple media outlets had this story including Sky Sports and the Guardian. I personally saw this story on Sky Sports News. The rumor was that Fabregas had told Wenger that he wanted to go to Barcelona. All of these publications I believe had a very valid story that they should report.

However, there was no word yet from Fabregas or Wenger regarding this story. I was told by an Aresenal fan that you need to wait until you hear from Wenger on these types of stories. I believe this story is legitimate, but like I mentioned earlier my advice is to wait and see how the story plays itself out.

Well, today the Daily Mail has a story entitled "  Cesc Fabregas is staying! Arsenal chief Peter Hill-Wood hits back at Barcelona bid.  This article in my opinion is showing the desire of Arsenal to keep Fabregas. This story has several quotes from Arsenal chief Peter Hill-Wood according to Goal.com.

Hill - Wood stated "'The message has been given to them we don't want to lose him and will do our damnedest to keep him. 'We haven't had an official approach from them and have made it perfectly clear we don't want to lose him. I don't know if he will stay. I've really got little to say but we very much hope he stays with us and we're confident he will." All of these quotes are from Hill - Wood according to Goal.com.

In my opinion this Fabregas story in ongoing. This story is far from over. Unfortunately for Arsenal fans they will probably read about this until there is a confirmation from both sides on the result of the situation. To the fans of Arsenal let's just wait and see. Let's hope he stays at the Emirates.

My point in writing this post is fans of Fulham and Arsenal will just have to deal with these type of stories. When your clubs has success these stories will happen. Unfortunately, fans just have to wait until these stories play out and become reality.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/BacktheBid.aspx
Back the Bid
Friday 21st May 2010

England striker, Peter Crouch, joined 1966 World Cup winner, Geoff Hurst and official sponsors BT at Wembley Stadium recently to boost the bid to bring the FIFA World CupTM to England in 2018 by inviting people to put their faces on the official supporters' flag to mark their support.   

The football stars launched the national rally to back the bid by signing their names in light on a 67ft (20m) high flag projected by laser onto Wembley Stadium.

Peter Crouch said: "This is everyone's chance to help bring the World Cup to England. We want people to show their passion for football, get behind the England 2018 bid and be remembered for it. Show your mates you've backed the bid and get them all to do the same."     

People can show their support by going to www.BT.com/2018| to add their name or profile photo from Facebook to the digital flag or text "BT Vision and your name" to 62018.

The photos and names will create a mosaic of hundreds and thousands of images on the virtual flag bearing the 2018 bid logo, The FA's three lions badge and the slogan "England united. The world invited". 

Gavin Patterson, CEO, BT Retail, said: "We want the flag to become a symbol that shows the passion there is not just in England, but across the whole of the UK, amongst fans to bring football's greatest competition back to England in 2018. Creating the flag filled with photos of people who want to be with us will help to show FIFA that we have the nationwide support to put on a superb tournament."

England 2018 chief executive Andy Anson, said: "The BT photo flag is an exciting way for fans to get behind England's World Cup Bid and show their support. Demonstrating the passion of football fans in this country is fundamental to our bid and BT's campaign provides a fantastic way to capture this."

The BT England 2018 "Back the Bid" campaign will be touring football games to give fans the chance to show their support.

Supporters can back the bid on Facebook at www.facebook.com/btbackthebid

or follow the bid on twitter at @BTbackthebid.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/BacktheBid.aspx#ixzz0oZtk3ZOS