watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hangeland's days numbered?

Started by Buffalo76, February 09, 2014, 08:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo76

Dan Burn will be the future but you'd think if our experienced captain gets dropped for possibly the hardest game of the season maybe he's not an automatic choice anymore.

YankeeJim

Well, he did get turned twice in the last league match. Although, todays tactics would have suited his game.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Macedo

Maybe the kick up the butt he needed.

grandad

Perhaps as a starter but a hell of a bench member & coach to Burn. I don´t ever want him to go. I think he said he would be happy to end his career with us.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Putney

Hangeland was probably being rested for what Meulensteen perceived to be a more winnable game at home.

Rudolph

Very much so.  There was someone on here claiming Senderos was going to be a bench warmer for Valencia.  He was a starter today and they kept a clean sheet. He's  obviously been bought as a first choice centre back.  I agree he could not have stayed as he would have got dogs abuse after Hughes leaving, but the fact he was hounded out and deadwood like Hangeland have been allowed to stay is the fault of the fans and the fans alone.

That team today had Rene written all over it.  Energy and cracking counter attacking, with the new additions adding a bit of dynamism to our team.

KP_FFC

think we need to play him back on his favored left side.

cmg

I suspect that Brede has still a couple of seasons left in him, but, even so, Heitinga pretty much looked the part today. A bi of competition never hurts.

The point about him bringing on Burn is a good one. This is an often overlooked role of the more dedicated senior players. Liam Donnelly (outstanding defensive prospect) tweeted a nice tribute to Aaron Hughes on his departure, thanking him for all the help he had given him at Fulham.

Fulham76

Quote from: Buffalo76 on February 09, 2014, 08:12:46 PM
Dan Burn will be the future but you'd think if our experienced captain gets dropped for possibly the hardest game of the season maybe he's not an automatic choice anymore.

I think Burn will play for England one day & will easily be our 1st choice centre back in a short space of time. Hangeland hasn't been as good as we're used to this season & Rene is rightly viewing all his options.

One Martin Thomas

How fit is he ?  Has he properly recovered from the injury ?  Have his last few performances for the club merited a place in the team ?

I think he's a risk at the moment.  He's not finished, but you'd be a brave man to bring him back in place of Dan Burn (left side).  His days are possibly numbered...

Dan Burn certainly looked good today and I have high hopes for Grimmer at PortVale.

sunburywhite

All joking aside Dan Burn could possibly be pushing for an England place

You can bet Roy has been watching him
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

HatterDon

Quote from: Putney on February 09, 2014, 08:21:42 PM
Hangeland was probably being rested for what Meulensteen perceived to be a more winnable game at home.

Exactly. He did 120 minutes on Tuesday, as did Amorebieta. Burn did as well, but he's not over 30. Heitinga did well today, but CB isn't his best position. I think we'll see Burn and Hangeland against Liverpool on Wednesday.

The thing is, Burn is already -- by far -- the best CB we have on our books, and he'd be best partnered with a rightfooted CB. Which begs the question, is Arthurworrey right footed? How about Grimmer?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ross_bamping

Hangeland has to fight for his place. If all fit and ready to go, this team shouldn't be changed. All warranted their place. Mitroglou on for Tankovic if fit. Maybe Dejagah for Tunnicliffe, but he played well.
Yes, what I say may be seen as 'overdone' or 'harsh', and to be honest I don't care. Please, feel free to argue your case, but remember, I won't back down.

hovewhite

Brede has still got a lot to offer but burn is even now no1 centre back at the club,grimmer will be the next centre back into the team but brede has to stay.

PokerMatt

Quote from: HatterDon on February 09, 2014, 08:59:41 PM
Quote from: Putney on February 09, 2014, 08:21:42 PM

Exactly. He did 120 minutes on Tuesday, as did Amorebieta. Burn did as well, but he's not over 30. Heitinga did well today, but CB isn't his best position. I think we'll see Burn and Hangeland against Liverpool on Wednesday.

The thing is, Burn is already -- by far -- the best CB we have on our books, and he'd be best partnered with a rightfooted CB. Which begs the question, is Arthurworrey right footed? How about Grimmer?

Hangeland is right-footed he just plays on the left of defence.

I also think centre-back is Heitinga's best position. It's where he won Everton's player of the year a few seasons back.

From what I saw yesterday Heitinga and Burn should be given a run.
Follow me: @mattdjourno