watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Against the lesser teams..

Started by MiltonBurrows, February 12, 2014, 12:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiltonBurrows

How are we going to set up against these? Its not pretty but if we set up like we did against United against teams with lesser quality, we're gonna have a lot more opportunities to hit these teams on the break. I really do think sitting deep and frustrating teams may be the answer for the rest of this season.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

The Rock

A lot of it comes down to specific players on specific teams. I do think our additions to the starting 11 make a difference.

I believe in Rene and somewhere down deep we have that quality, setting up in that "Roy Hodgson" style you describe. The players that were brought in are a credit to that improving the starting 11 approach, and to play - or make everyone belive we play in that 18/19th century style of defending I think would be a crafty approach because there are goals with this squad and there always have been.

Baby steps.

MiltonBurrows

Quote from: The Rock on February 12, 2014, 12:19:11 AM
A lot of it comes down to specific players on specific teams. I do think our additions to the starting 11 make a difference.

I believe in Rene and somewhere down deep we have that quality, setting up in that "Roy Hodgson" style you describe. The players that were brought in are a credit to that improving the starting 11 approach, and to play - or make everyone belive we play in that 18/19th century style of defending I think would be a crafty approach because there are goals with this squad and there always have been.

Baby steps.

Just thinking ahead against liverpool, and i just can't see us winning even if we do take the same approach against United. The form they are on, they should dismantles us at their will.

Forever Fulham

If they can get in great physical shape, then start working on keeping a high line and pressing the lesser teams to cough up possession.  Give them a taste of what Fulham has had to endure all season:  the high press.  They won't expect it and they will crumble under it.

RolandAJ

I think the plan against MU was, not genius, but certainly sensible and wise.  There were so many new and young faces on the pitch against a more talented host that a simple plan was best.  Basic counter-attacking with cover at all times made it easy for an unfamiliar eleven to avoid crucial mistakes.

I feel that if we were to play MU in six weeks or so the team would hold the ball more.  They would know the system and more importantly each other better.

That said, as others have noted, Liverpool won't fall into a one dimensional crossing pattern.

I hope Rene has a plan to keep us in the game.

COYW!!!

Roland
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."  Milan Kundera

Or does that not count because it doesn't fit your grouch-centric opinion?

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: Forever Fulham on February 12, 2014, 12:35:43 AM
If they can get in great physical shape, then start working on keeping a high line and pressing the lesser teams to cough up possession.  Give them a taste of what Fulham has had to endure all season:  the high press.  They won't expect it and they will crumble under it.

Interesting idea.....but it won't happen

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: RolandAJ on February 12, 2014, 12:46:26 AM
I think the plan against MU was, not genius, but certainly sensible and wise.  There were so many new and young faces on the pitch against a more talented host that a simple plan was best.  Basic counter-attacking with cover at all times made it easy for an unfamiliar eleven to avoid crucial mistakes.

I feel that if we were to play MU in six weeks or so the team would hold the ball more.  They would know the system and more importantly each other better.

That said, as others have noted, Liverpool won't fall into a one dimensional crossing pattern.

I hope Rene has a plan to keep us in the game.

COYW!!!

Roland

I don't think I understand what you're talking about, Roland

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: The Rock on February 12, 2014, 12:19:11 AM

Baby steps.

I believed in Rene ....until we conceded six goals in one half!

Pluto

Oh come on. The lads tried hard against United and frustrated them but it was hardly decent football. I'd like us to have more than 20% possession against the likes of West Brom! Also not all teams will go gung-ho attack and launch a zillion high balls into the box like United did. Our "tactics" we're right for the occasion but if they were a better side, could defend and could actually play the ball along the ground like Southampton did we would have lost heavily.

We need to retain the fight, discipline, work rate and solidarity of the United performance whilst at the same time learning how to keep the ball, press and use it effectively so we actually pose some threat to teams.

RolandAJ

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on February 12, 2014, 12:49:37 AM

I don't think I understand what you're talking about, Roland

Giving Fulham's team on Sunday a complex, aggressive plan would have invited errors due to the players' lack of familiarity with each other.

As long as MU didn't change their plan (whipping crosses), simple was better.

Roland
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."  Milan Kundera

Or does that not count because it doesn't fit your grouch-centric opinion?

Danitar

I think our tactics against united could work against Liverpool as they are a team that plays through the middle so if we have 2 good banks of 4 at least it will stop the supply. The only problem is Suarez as he is a player that will worm is way through and could be tricky to defend.

westcliff white

Quote from: MiltonBurrows on February 12, 2014, 12:07:54 AM
How are we going to set up against these? Its not pretty but if we set up like we did against United against teams with lesser quality, we're gonna have a lot more opportunities to hit these teams on the break. I really do think sitting deep and frustrating teams may be the answer for the rest of this season.
i don't think this will work if you play with a striker up top, we didn't on Sunday and are unlikely too tonight.

When Mitro is fit and playing I think we will have to change from that sort of style, more likely maybe a 433 so we protect the back 4 as much as we can.
Every day is a Fulham day

TonyGilroy

Smaller pitch, crowd close to play.

Of course we keep it tight and try to frustrate Liverpool and then it's a question of whether they're on top of their game and/or whether we get lucky.

Hodgson was always clear that games are about "moments" but the tactical game plan would always be to work hard with nearly everyone behind the ball and in position to deny the opposition scoring chances.

That's how to play it tonight.

We need 6 wins - this is the least likely game of the 13 for us so not crucial except as a confidence booster. Not good to get tonked.

valdeingruo

The first thing is, we need to stop thinking there are "lesser teams" than us, particularly if this was the mood of the players. Im actually quite sure there were games this season that this indeed was the case, and we dropped points. Being at the foot of the table we are the "lesser team" of the division, that being said that can all change.

Every single remaining match must be treated as a cup final and every match approached with the same kind of last ditch defending that we saw at Manchester. Im not saying for us just to sit back and wait, I am talking about the sprinting to track back, another player going to help another defend and putting bodies on the line to stop the ball coming in no matter what.

Do this and we will survive and provide a foundation for the rest of the squad overhaul that we so desperately needed.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

MiltonBurrows

Quote from: andersons11 on February 12, 2014, 12:09:08 PM
The first thing is, we need to stop thinking there are "lesser teams" than us, particularly if this was the mood of the players. Im actually quite sure there were games this season that this indeed was the case, and we dropped points. Being at the foot of the table we are the "lesser team" of the division, that being said that can all change.

Every single remaining match must be treated as a cup final and every match approached with the same kind of last ditch defending that we saw at Manchester. Im not saying for us just to sit back and wait, I am talking about the sprinting to track back, another player going to help another defend and putting bodies on the line to stop the ball coming in no matter what.

Do this and we will survive and provide a foundation for the rest of the squad overhaul that we so desperately needed.

I wasn't comparing the 'lesser teams' to us, it was meant in comparison to United, liverpool, chelsea etc...

grandad

If we defend en masse in our pen area S S & S will dive all over the place to con the ref in giving penalties.
Where there's a will there's a wife

valdeingruo

Quote from: MiltonBurrows on February 12, 2014, 01:15:52 PM
Quote from: andersons11 on February 12, 2014, 12:09:08 PM

I wasn't comparing the 'lesser teams' to us, it was meant in comparison to United, liverpool, chelsea etc...

Very well, my mistake.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

RidgeRider

agree with much of which has been written in this thread, a compact style, taking advantage of moments, is our best strategy against Liverpool. We need to frustrate them as much as possible by being compact and then take advantage of openings to counter. This is the way you play against sides with superior athletes and skill.

Rene's use of the newer additions were more about ridding the side of a losing mentality than it was any tactical genius. He needed players who were willing to put in a shift and did not have 'losing' in their heads.

What we do against bottom half teams will depend upon match ups we can exploit and I would think we will be more adventurous (meaning playing a slightly higher line) as a result but we will likely remain compact a lot during the remainder of the season.

If you listen to his interviews, this is what he seems to be suggesting.