https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (24/05/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 24, 2010, 07:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199555
Fulham - Paraguayan Ace Watched!
One minute we`re centre stage, in Europe, with the press drooling about us, the next we`ve almost disappeared off the radar.

Although we`re expecting several transfer moves at Craven Cottage this summer, rumours are, this weekend, hard to find.

But, do not be dismayed, we`ve found one.

Lurking in one Sunday tabloid is the implication that Fulham are amongst a host of clubs that will be represented in Dublin next week when the Republic of Ireland face Paraguay.

Apparently, the focus of our attention, and that of several others, is the Paraguay midfielder, Eduardo Ledesma.

Ledesma, a defensive midfielder, currently plays for Atletico Lanus, in Argentina but will be sold for as little as £1.5 million as his club seek to ease crippling debts.

Competition for his signature will be fierce though with Tottenham, Everton, Sunderland, West Ham and a host of European clubs expected in Dublin to run the rule over a player who is tipped to make a big impression at the forthcoming World Cup!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199555#ixzz0opK69E3R

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/football-news/kamara-dreaming-of-psg?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ffc_Premiership_Blogs+%28FFC_Premiership_Blogs%29
Kamara dreaming of PSG

Fulham striker Diomansy Kamara hopes to leave Craven Cottage this summer to head to join Paris St Germain.

The 29-year-old Senegal international ended last season out on loan at Celtic, but now wants to head to the place of his birth for a fresh challenge.

Kamara told reporters:"PSG would be a dream for me. When you start football you always have dreams.

"One of mine was to play for Senegal and I have done that for almost ten years now, another would be PSG.

"It's close to my heart and to go from being in the stands to the pitch, with my family watching, would be a nice feeling.

"I'm 29 and I haven't yet played in Ligue 1, so it would nice to experience that.

"I am still under contract at Fulham and I am going to take my time to decide where I go next.

"I still have good relations with the club, but they are asking for three or four million euros to sell me and for a player with one year left on his contract it's too high."

WhiteJC

http://www.epltalk.com/end-of-season-review-part-2/19936?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29
End of Premier League Season Review: Part 2
by MARSHALL NORBAL on MAY 23, 2010

Fulham

An excellent season for the men from Craven Cottage, and a huge credit must go to Roy Hodgson who in two years has transformed his team from relegation fighters to Europa League finalists and fully deserves his Manager of the Year.  Has also revived the careers of Bobby Zamora and Damien Duff who have both had stellar seasons.

Grade: B+

Teacher's Pet: There are quite few – including Zoltan Gera, Clint Dempsey and Mark Schwarzer.  But the honour goes to Bobby Zamora with his 17-goal season (including 6 in their Europa League campaign) that gave him an inkling of an England call-up.

Detention: Andrew Johnson – has rarely played this season due to injury.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/5/23/1484009/cottagers-daily-rumor-mill?
Cottagers Daily Rumor Mill : Liverpool, Everton, Fulham and Tottenham among many clubs monitoring Eduardo Ledesma

I just saw this rumor regarding a 24 year old midfielder from Paraguay. According to the Daily Mirror there are six Premier League clubs monitoring the play of Eduardo Ledesma of Paraguay. The story in the Daily Mirror mentions that there are six Premier League clubs that will watch him play on Tuesday in Dublin. Paraguay will be playing against the Republic of Ireland and the 24 year old midfielder is expected to play. According to the Daily Mirror, the clubs that will be watching him are Liverpool, Everton, Fulham, Tottenham, Sunderland and West Ham.

This Daily Mirror story also states that last summer his club Atletico Lanus in Argentina turned down a season long loan to Fulham with an option to buy. Based on this article there are many teams interested in this player.

This is just one of many players I will expect Fulham to be linked to this summer. At this point this story is just a rumor. I will be curious to see what positions Roy Hodgson decides to bolster this summer. Maybe he is interested in a young midfielder? Only time will tell if this is just a rumor or if there is more to this story. If there any updates on any players that are linked to Fulham I will share it with everyone.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/5/23/1484187/10-things-i-think-about-fulham?
10 Things I Think About Fulham Football Club This Week May 23rd

Every week I like to write about subjects that are on my mind regarding Fulham Football Club. This was an interesting week with many rumors regarding the players and the manager.  I guess you can say I might have many subjects on my mind. Below are my "10 Things I Think About Fulham Football Club This Week May 23rd."

1.I think the rumors of Roy Hodgson with links from other clubs is a complement to the great job he has done at Fulham.  Last week Fulham fans heard a rumor of Juventus being interested in Hodgson. The Italian Giants ended up bringing in Luigi Del Neri which I wrote about in a post last week. When a team has success these stories are going to happen. I am hoping the Mr. Hodgson will stick around at Craven Cottage for awhile. I have a feeling though this story will not be the last with a link to Roy this summer.

2. I think I will be following Australia in the World Cup because of Mark Schwarzer.   It is great to have some Cottagers in the World Cup. There is no question I will be watching the matches that Mark Schwarzer plays for with Australia. He will definitely keep them in these matches. Also, I really like watching Tim Cahill of Everton. When Fulham play Everton he is a player I really fear. I wouldn't sleep on Australia. They might surprise a few teams.

3. I think I would like to see Diomansy Kamara stay with Fulham.  Based on what I have read it sounds like he really wants to play for PSG. I wrote a post about Kamara yesterday. I really thought at times he was pretty effective for Fulham. He did score some key goals for the club. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with Kamara.

4. I think I would like to see Fulham sign Nicky Shorey.   I wrote a post on May 20th regarding Shorey and interest by Fulham and West Ham for his services. I think he did a nice job when he was here on loan. If for some reason Paul Konchesky leaves, in my opinion he would be a very good replacement at left back. He is back with Aston Villa. This again is a story that I will be following.

5. I think the signing of David Elm was a nice move.  I wrote a post about the David Elm signing on May 20th.  He will just give Fulham more options at striker. He has shown some potential to score. I hope he gets more chances to play next season. 

6. I think I really want Fulham to hold on to Paul Konchesky.  I think he has been solid at left back. I still think he has some good football left in his career. I wrote about potential interest in Konchesky by Birmingham City on May 19th. In my opinion he has been a solid defender, plus he has the ability to move up and help with setting up scoring opportunities. I hope he stays with Fulham.

7. I think Clint Dempsey is going to make a huge impact in the World Cup.   I have watched him play many times for the U.S. He has stepped up in big games and scored several goals. In last year's Confederations Cup he scored  a few key goals to help his team. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

8. I think I would like to see Fulham try to make a transfer offer for Jozy Altidore once the transfer window opens.   I have read nothing linking Fulham with Altidore. This is just my wish based on watching him many times and seeing his potential as a goal scorer. His loan with Hull ended and he is back with Villarreal. Against Fulham he was a big factor in the win against the Cottagers. At last year's Confederations Cup he was tremendous. I think he is worth Roy Hodgson considering for a striker.

9. I think there will be several links to Fulham players the entire summer.  Again, when you have success other clubs might want your players. I just hope Fulham can keep the majority of their current roster. I would just like to see Fulham add key players to what they currently have.

10. I think I want Fulham to come to the U.S. this summer.   Fulham have not announced their summer plans yet. I really don't know where they are going to go. In my opinion, I think the club could be a huge hit here in the U.S. The combination of the team and the manager I think would be appealing to Americans. Also, for selfish reasons I want to see my club. 

Well, those are my thoughts for this week. I am sure I will have other things on my mind for next week.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2559/rumours/2010/05/23/1939261/arsenal-considering-move-for-fulham-goalkeeper-mark?
Arsenal considering move for Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer - report

Arsenal are tracking Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, according to The Sunday Times.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is thought to be in the market for a new goalkeeper after numerous questionable displays from his current batch of shot-stoppers.

Current number one Manuel Almunia has failed to impress at the Emirates following the departure of Jens Lehmann in 2008, back-up goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski made a series of costly mistakes when given a chance between the posts this season and Vito Mannone is lacking in first team outings.

Schwarzer is linked with a move across London and the 37-year-old international could provide the experience needed in the Arsenal goal.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/australia-face-new-zealand-without-schwarzer-and-kewell-859141?
Australia to face New Zealand without Schwarzer and Kewell

Australia will take on New Zealand tonight without veteran goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and star attacker Harry Kewell.

Schwarzer injured his thumb at training last week so will sit out of the clash at the Melbourne Cricket Ground whilst Kewell is still getting over a groin injury that has troubled him for the past few months.

Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek said it was no matter that Schwarzer was out as he would rather have him at full fitness when the team travels to South Africa for the World Cup.

"He's played enough games. It's not about rhythm, it's about getting his hand 100 per cent ready," he said.

Schwarzer's absence creates a great opportunity for one of the other three goalkeepers vying for two positions for the final 23 – Adam Federici, Brad Jones and Eugene Galekovic.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2559/rumours/2010/05/24/1939461/inter-milan-looking-at-fulham-boss-roy-hodgson-to-replace?
Inter Milan looking at Fulham boss Roy Hodgson to replace Jose Mourinho - report

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has been identified as a candidate to take over for Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan.

After defeating Bayern Munich 2-0 in the Champions League final at the Bernabeu, Mourinho will leave Inter to lead Real Madrid next season.

The Italian giants will be looking to replace the Portuguese boss quickly and could turn to Hodgson for a third stint in charge of Inter, according to The Mirror.

The 62-year-old enjoyed a fine season at Fulham this season, leading the Cottagers to the Europa League final.

Hodgson is a favourite to get the job due to his great character and the favorable relationship that he already enjoys with Inter officials.

The Englishman managed Inter from 1995-1997 and in 1999 and owner and president Massimo Moratti has stated that Hodgson is 'always welcome' to return.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-boss-hodgson-attracting-interest-inter-milan-859261?
Fulham boss Hodgson attracting interest from Inter Milan

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has attracted interest from UEFA Champions League and Italian Serie A winners Inter Milan.

The Nerazzurri believe Hodgson can be the man to replace Jose Mourinho who is set to take the reins at Real Madrid.

Hodgson, who has already had two stints in charge of Inter, guided the Cottagers to the Europa League final this season and is back in demand as a manager.

He has a great reputation in Italy and an excellent relationship with Inter officials including president Massimo Moratti.

No official bid has yet been made as the Italians feel out the 62-year olds plans for the future.

WhiteJC

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Report-Inter-Milan-lining-up-Fulham-boss-Hodgson-to-replace-Mourinho/7888/?
Report: Inter Milan lining up Fulham boss Hodgson to replace Mourinho

According to the Daily Mirror, European champions Inter Milan will look to install Fulham manager Roy Hodgson as their new coach, should Jose Mourinho, as expected, take over at Real Madrid.

Despite leading Inter to Champions League glory on Saturday night, sealing an unprecedented treble for the club, Mourinho is expected to take over as Real Madrid coach as early as this week.

Should Mourinho leave for the Bernebeu, Inter Milan will look to tempt Hodgson back to the San Siro, according to the Daily Mirror.  The Fulham boss has twice managed Inter Milan , once from 1995-7 and again two years later.  His reputation at Inter is second to none and Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has said that Hodgson is "always welcome" at the club.

Hodgson has enhanced his reputation further this season, by leading unfashionable Fulham to their first ever European final.

The Daily Mirror claims that Inter officials have already put out feelers about Hodgson and will make an official approach if encouraged to do so.

Tom

Thanks White JC for all your great work! I look forward to it everyday. By the way, Roy is not going anywhere! In Roy I Trust!!!  :sir_roy:
Fulham for life!

White Noise

German giants Hamburg send an SOS to club legend Kevin Keegan

EXCLUSIVE By Simon Jones

Last updated at 11:49 PM on 23rd May 2010

Fallen German giants Hamburg are offering Kevin Keegan a sensational return to management.

The ambitious Bundesliga side are still reeling after failing to reach the Europa League final at their own stadium and finishing a poor seventh in the league.

Chairman Bernd Hoffman wants to restore the club to its glorious past and sees former star Keegan, who took them to the 1980 European Cup final against Nottingham Forest, as the man to take the club forward.

Hamburg sacked coach Bruno Labbadia last season just three days before the second leg of their Europa League semi-final against Fulham. They had been humiliated 5-1 by Hoffenheim in a league game which effectively ended their hopes of European qualification and the subsequent loss to Fulham denied them a showpiece final at their own Nordbank Arena.

Former Tottenham coach Ricardo Moniz has been put in temporary charge but Hoffman and his board believe Keegan, who scored 32 goals in 90 games for them between 1977 and 1980, can lift the club and the fans.

The former Newcastle manager, who is fluent in German, has been working as a pundit with ESPN but has made no secret of his desire to find a new challenge.

He has privately admitted that if Newcastle owner Mike Ashley had compromised over his role in player recruitment, he may still have been at St James' Park. Instead the spectacular fall-out led to Keegan securing a £2million pay-off for constructive dismissal.

However, Hamburg now want to give him the freedom to create a side capable of challenging Bayern Munich for the title and qualify for Europe.

They are ready to bankroll rebuilding with a transfer budget of around £25m and will offer players decent contracts, as they demonstrated last season with their capture of Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Keegan would also find himself face to face with another former England manager — Steve McClaren at Wolfsburg.

As a player, Keegan helped Hamburg win their first Bundesliga title in 19 years after joining from Liverpool and Hoffman hopes he can have the same effect this time around.

Hamburg fans, who dubbed him 'Mighty Mouse', fete him in the same way he is adored on Tyneside and club insiders say it is all down to whether Keegan believes in the project and is ready to abandon business interests in England.

Certainly, Hamburg believe it is time for the Messiah to return home.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1280738/German-giants-Hamburg-send-SOS-club-legend-Kevin-Keegan.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0opkAI7x1

White Noise

Anderlecht's Jelle van Damme set for Wolves after agreeing terms at Molineux

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 2:09 AM on 24th May 2010

Wolves have agreed personal terms with the Anderlecht utility player Jelle van Damme.

Dancing with Wolves: Jelle van Damme is set for a move to Molineux
Sportsmail revealed that Wolves were in the driving seat for Van Damme, 26, who has also been targeted by Fulham and West Bromwich Albion.

He will join Wolves for £2.5m and sign a four-year contract. Wolves are also interested in Stoke's Liam Lawrence and Burnley's Steven Fletcher.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1280708/Jelle-van-Damme-set-Wolves-agreeing-terms-Molineux.html#ixzz0opkh9wbE

White Noise

West Ham eye FOUR Portsmouth players as Avram Grant prepares for Upton Park hot-seat

Last updated at 12:06 AM on 24th May 2010

West Ham could sign FOUR former Portsmouth players after also holding talks over a move for Tal Ben Haim.

The Israeli does not have the best relationship with prospective manager Avram Grant but agent Pini Zahavi is convincing the club he can be a useful addition.

Grant is also expected to sign Kevin Prince Boateng, Tottenham's Jamie O'Hara and wants Roma target Nadir Belhadj.

Grant may yet join the chase for defender Marc Wilson who is wanted by Fulham. Aruna Dindane, meanwhile, has confirmed he has joined Qatari side Al-Shorta.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1280706/West-Ham-eye-FOUR-Portsmouth-players-Avram-Grant-prepares-Upton-Park-hot-seat.html#ixzz0opkwqfEE

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Luke-Young-set-for-Aston-Villa-exit-after-blasting-boss-Martin-O-Neill-s-team-selection-article436011.html

Luke Young set for Villa exit after blasting boss O'Neill

Published 23:00 23/05/10

By James Nursey

Luke Young looks set to hasten his Aston Villa exit after blasting boss Martin O'Neill's team selection.

Defender Young has been unhappy at Villa Park since leaving the club's pre-season tour to Spain early last summer.

Mirrorsport revealed Young, 30, was unsettled at being played out of position at left-back last term before losing his right-back berth this season to Carlos Cuellar.

Ex-Spurs and Charlton star Young, signed from Middlesbrough for £5million in August 2008, now wants to return to London.

And West Ham and Fulham are poised to battle for his signature after Young finally went public with his unhappiness.

He said: "I've been fighting for my position but it never seems as if it's been a fair fight.

"I don't know what more I've got to do to get into the team.

"It just seems that however hard I work in training or however well I do in games that I don't get judged by the same standards as some players.

"I feel fitter than I've ever felt, I'm in the shape of my life, and I think my form has been good whenever I have played.

"Other than the Chelsea game, when the whole team had a nightmare including me, I think I can hold my head up high about all of my performances.

"I've been working with reserve coach Kevin MacDonald, which has been great for me, and I'm always as professional as possible when I train.

"I've also always got on really well with the fans and that's another reason why I'll be sad if I have to leave."

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Inter-Milan-target-Fulham-boss-Roy-Hodgson-to-replace-Real-Madrid-bound-Jose-Mourinho-Exclusive-article436007.html

Inter Milan target Hodgson to replace Mourinho - Exclusive

Published 23:59 23/05/10

By Alan Nixon

Roy Hodgson has emerged as the shock candidate to replace Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan.

Mourinho celebrated his last game in charge of the Italian outfit by winning the Champions League at the Bernabeu.

But as he prepared to move into the stadium permanently as Real Madrid manager, Fulham boss Hodgson was being tipped for a third spell in charge at the San Siro.

The 62-year-old is the hot favourite to get the call because of his sky-high reputation and the excellent relationship he has with their officials.

Hodgson is back on the map as one of football's most wanted after taking Fulham to the Europa League final – an achievement he also managed at Inter in his first spell in 1997.

The shrewd coach is expected to be approached in the next few days.

Hodgson may be tempted to go back to Inter, where he also worked as ­caretaker for a season 11 years ago. He is 'always welcome' in the words of owner and president Massimo Moratti.

Inter have already put feelers out about moving for Hodgson and they will make it official if they are encouraged.

The timing will be ­immediate as the Italians want to fill ­Mourinho's void quickly.

Mourinho did not travel back to Milan with the team, where 40,000 fans greeted them at 6am yesterday at the stadium.

Instead, he and his ­representatives were locked in final talks with Madrid, where the former Chelsea manager will demand total control of team affairs before agreeing to take the job.

That would give him the authority to go after any player he wants and some of England's World Cup squad will be on his list.

The Special One is a huge fan of Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, who has indicated he could be ready to leave Anfield with the situation over manager Rafa Benitez still up in the air.

Mourinho is also a big admirer of Chelsea stars Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard.

But it is highly unlikely the Blues would be willing to sell any player to the manager they forced out three years ago no matter how much money the new Madrid boss will have at his disposal.

os5889

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/05/24/fulham-forward-zoltan-gera-plays-down-roma-link-82029-26509525/

Fulham forward Zoltan Gera plays down Roma link

May 24 2010 By Jacob Murtagh

ZOLTAN Gera has played down speculation linking him with a move to Roma.

The Fulham forward only has a year left on his contract at Craven Cottage, and the Italian giants are believed to be keen on the 31-year-old Hungarian.

But Gera has rubbished rumours he could be on his way to the Stadio Olimpico.

He said: "I'm contracted to the club and I feel good here, the season was like I planned.

"My aim is to play like I did or even better. If the atmosphere is good and the team-mates are good it's only a part of how I feel.

"What really matters is how I play football. If a player doesn't do his job well then usually he wants to leave, if he performs well then he usually wants to stay and continue everything.

"At the age of 31 I don't think I'm getting older as a footballer, what's more - I feel better and better. I hope the best is yet to come."

os5889

Quote from: os5889 on May 24, 2010, 12:43:28 PM
http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/05/24/fulham-forward-zoltan-gera-plays-down-roma-link-82029-26509525/

Fulham forward Zoltan Gera plays down Roma link

May 24 2010 By Jacob Murtagh

ZOLTAN Gera has played down speculation linking him with a move to Roma.

The Fulham forward only has a year left on his contract at Craven Cottage, and the Italian giants are believed to be keen on the 31-year-old Hungarian.

But Gera has rubbished rumours he could be on his way to the Stadio Olimpico.

He said: "I'm contracted to the club and I feel good here, the season was like I planned.

"My aim is to play like I did or even better. If the atmosphere is good and the team-mates are good it's only a part of how I feel.

"What really matters is how I play football. If a player doesn't do his job well then usually he wants to leave, if he performs well then he usually wants to stay and continue everything.

"At the age of 31 I don't think I'm getting older as a footballer, what's more - I feel better and better. I hope the best is yet to come."

Anyone else doubt he will sign a new contract?

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6169758/TEAMtalk-Soccers-Story-of-the-Season
2 - Fulham's European adventure: You'll be hard-pushed to find a football fan that a) dislikes Roy Hodgson, and b) hasn't enjoyed Fulham's Euro charge.

It has been thrilling to watch for neutrals so god knows what it's been like for Cottagers fans, and it's just a crying shame that the Londoners couldn't finish the job in the Europa League final in Hamburg.

Fulham's season started way back in July when they took on the might of FK Vetra, who were duly dismissed 6-0 on aggregate.

That sparked a European adventure which took in trips to Sofia, Basel and Rome before the competition got serious with a tough tie against holders Shakhtar Donetsk, who were outwitted by Roy's boys.

All the while Fulham were also churning out results in the league to ensure the threat of relegation was kept at bay - but their Euro dreams received a wake-up call with a 3-1 dismantling by Juventus in Turin.

When David Trezeguet netted early doors at Craven Cottage to make it 4-1 on aggregate, it seemed Fulham's bid would end at the last-16 stage.

But a four-goal fightback, capped by Clint Dempsey's delicious chip with eight minutes remaining, made it 5-4 to the hosts who used that momentum to beat Wolfsburg and Hamburg on their way to a final with Liverpool's last-four conquerors Atletico Madrid.

Sadly they fell at the final hurdle, with Diego Forlan's deadly double giving the Spaniards an extra-time victory.

But they can be proud of their achievements under Manager of the Year Hodgson, who transformed Bobby Zamora into a World Cup contender before injury ended his hopes of travelling to South Africa.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6169939,00.html
Gera not interested in Roma
Midfielder hungry for more success at the Cottage

Zoltan Gera has insisted he is happy to stay at Fulham and is not bothered about the transfer talk linking him with a move away from Craven Cottage.

The Hungarian, who played a major part in the club's stunning run to the Europa League final where they lost in the dying minutes of extra-time to Atletico Madrid, has been linked with a move to Italian giants Roma.

However the 31-year-old maintained he was happy at Craven Cottage and was not eager to move anywhere despite the possibility of playing alongside the likes of Francesco Totti and Daniele De Rossi at the Stadio Olimpico.

"I'm contracted to the club and I feel good here, the season was like I planned," Gera told skysports.com

Right choice
Gera, who signed for Fulham from West Bromwich Albion on a free transfer in 2008, was happy that he had made the right choice in moving to Craven Cottage, despite his former club now being back in the Premier League.

Nevertheless, he could not hide his disappointment at losing the final, the first in Europe in the club's history, although he praised the achievements of his side.

"When I signed for Fulham I knew they were a strong team. Although they were almost relegated our recent run proves I made the right choice," he added.

"I still have a dubious feeling about our lost final in Hamburg. It's a fiasco because we lost but also a success as we could get there.

"It would have been nice to win the right to start in the Europa League, unfortunately we couldn't achieve it but it means that we can concentrate only on the Premier League."