watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Race Report # 13 & 14

Started by RidgeRider, May 25, 2010, 02:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

The Golden State Criterium and Circuit race was this weekend in Rancho Cordova, CA. It was a fairly local race, only about 40 minutes away, sponsored by one of the local racing teams but most importantly....no getting up @ 4AM this weekend! 

Saturday was a .9 mile criterium course with 6 rights and 2 slight lefts, and Sunday was a 2.5 mile course using part of the same course as Sunday big difference is we did it in reverse so mostly left handers. 

The field was 45 strong and this week I finally got a chance to race against the 45+ crowd again. I would find out today, that age doesn't matter much as this group all wanted to prove we were faster than the younger groups. 

Saturday, I finally got a good warmup in before a race. Spent 30 minutes on my trainer, before heading to the start finish line. Glad I did it cause today I would need it....boy would I need it! 

At 9:40 we got off the line, things started tamely, but within a 1/2 mile the pace started to really pick up. One thing to note, while racing, I don't check my speedometer at all or how far I have gone, I may look down to see how much time we have been racing to gauge how hard I should go but that's about it. Since these criteriums are timed to be over within 40-45 minutes, it is good to know if you have 10 minutes left. 

I started out in the back of the peloton on lap 1. We started picking up speed on the backside of the course and coming across the start/finish line on lap 1 I was in 20th. I decided to move up on lap 2 and ended up slotting in on 4th wheel. I stayed in about 4-8th position for most of the race. We had a few attacks but nothing stuck. The pace was furious and relentless. With two laps to go, the swarming began, going into the last lap, I had fallen back to about 25th place as EVERYONE was trying to get to the front. I took an outside line on turn 3 to get around some riders on managed to move up to about 10th but on the back straightaway, a train from the inside darted to the front and I got locked out again on the outside, basically in bicylce prison, with no place to go. By the time I got around the final corner, I was so out of position, there was no place to go and no line for me to attack the line, I did a decent sprint but ended up in 20th place......I had expected much better but learned a lesson, the second time, to be in a place where there is room at the end. Made this mistake twice now. We averaged 25.2 mph! Fastest race I have been in.....not bad for a bunch of 45-50 year olds eh?

The race on Sunday went much the same way. I stayed on the front the whole race (better course by the way) on the last lap, the swarming to front began again, I was back in 30th place going into the the finaly 1/2 mile, took off on the inside, passed a bunch of guys and missed the final surge sprint for a 15th place. Much better tactical race and had I pushed a little harder coming into that final sprint, it would have been a much better day. The legs were there but I backed off and shouldn't have.

Had a great time and results are getting better.

Two more race this weekend and then a bit of a break.............

HatterDon

thanks, Jack. Looking forward to the next installment. :54:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

blingo

you haven't written blingo into that shirt label yet have you??? :007:

RidgeRider

Quote from: blingo on May 25, 2010, 06:18:26 PM
you haven't written blingo into that shirt label yet have you??? :007:

Not yet Blingo. I'll do it tonight and let you know in my report on Monday how Saturday and Sunday go.

blingo

10 times better when the force is with you Jack  :54: