more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (17/02/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 16, 2014, 03:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

The farce that is Fulham

t's been a bizarre week down by the Thames at Fulham where after two seemingly better performances than what we've been used to seeing from The Cottagers this season, first team coach Rene Meulensteen was sacked and immediately replaced by Felix Magath.

After a shocking run of results, Meulensteen was brought in to replace Martin Jol. Whilst results didn't improve, performances did and the last two games against Manchester United and Liverpool proved that. So, when the news broke, myself and the majority of Fulham fans were rather shocked.

However, there are two theories to me as to why the Dutchman was replaced.

1) The shot of him and assistant Ray Wilkins laughing with the Fourth Official at Old Trafford (before Darren Bent scored the equalizer) was not impressive. I'm personally all for people laughing, but not when you're stuck in a relegation battle and losing yet another game. He was lucky Fulham actually did get something out of it, perhaps more would have been made out of it if we didn't.

2) The Fulham board had already had sacking Rene in their plans, they just wanted to give him the Manchester United and Liverpool games, because they thought we would be thrashed. This way, the new man coming in wouldn't lose his first two games, and it could be a fresh start. It would look bad on the club and the new manager if he lost his first two games, and Fulham were not prepared to take that risk.

The most bizarre reason of the lot is letting Meulensteen sign five players in January and then sack him just two weeks later. Surely, surely he should be given a chance with the players he bought?

It's also emerged that Lewis Holtby said in an interview whilst playing for Spurs something along the lines of "I've played under Felix Magath, so I can play under Louis Van Gaal".

The appointment is a massive risk and I'm surprised at the timing of it. When you are submerged at the bottom of the table, conceding so many goals and losing so many games, the idea is that you keep the team spirit and team morale high. Sacking the manager for the second time this season certainly does not do that. It makes it worse. It now means the players have to restart, again. If sacking Meulensteen was what Fulham really had to do, then Alan Curbishley – the man who kept West Ham up in 2006-07 was sitting on the bench behind him. Instead they've gone for a completely unproven manager in the Premier League.

It's been such an odd week at Fulham and only time will tell if the sacking of Rene and the appointment of Felix Magath will work. One thing is for certain, Fulham are still bottom, Fulham have still conceded the most goals and Fulham have lost 14 of their last 17 games. Constantly changing your manager does nothing to improve that record.

http://backpagefootball.com/the-farce-that-is-fulham/70629/?

WhiteJC

Magath`s Confident of Staying Up!

He`s only been in the post for a couple of days but Felix Magath is confident he can keep Fulham Football Club in the Premier League.

Speaking about the task ahead, the sixty year old coach who has a reputation of being something of a disciplinarian, has remarked to the media when asked about beating the drop,

"For sure I can do that. Have done it before in Germany. I have taken over clubs in similar situations to Fulham and I am confident that I can do it once more in England."

"I think 12 games are enough to keep them in the Premier League."

I wished I shared his optimism!

However, having taken charge of one training session, Felix has had some kind words to say about the players at the club, remarking,

"I was surprised by the team."

"They are very ambitious. The players are keen to show me better results. I am sure they can make it."

"I think they have more potential than they have shown. I am sure we will realise that over the next few games."

Well let`s hope so!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=349933#ixzz2tb7pG378

WhiteJC

Duo to Exit the Cottage

The inference doing the media rounds is that two of the old guard will not be forming part of Felix Magath`s newly shaped managerial team.

Whilst Alan Curbishley looks to have secured a stay of execution working alongside the German, it is widely anticipated that Ray Wilkins will be leaving and that Rene Meulensteen will also be heading for the exit.

Whilst the club would like Meulensteen to stay it`s feared that being asked to step back from the role he was doing to assume the role he was doing previously might be asking too much.

We`ll report further when we know more.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=349934#ixzz2tb81JcY1

WhiteJC

Holtby: No tensions with new Fulham boss Magath

The loanee played under the German while at Schalke, describing his training regimes as the toughest he has ever experienced, but insists he has confidence in the manager's ability

Lewis Holtby has insisted there is no tension between himself and new Fulham manager Felix Magath following a spell together at Schalke.

The loanee has previously admitted that the Bundesliga winner's training regime is the toughest he has ever experienced, while Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness hit out at Magath's "ridiculous" methods.

Holtby was loaned out twice during his spell at Schalke in search for more regular playing time, but insists he has full confidence in Magath's ability to help Fulham avoid relegation.

"I have no fear. It is also just pushed everything a bit high in my eyes," Holtby told Sport Bild Plus.

"I have matured as a player and the time under Felix Magath also is now already back nearly five years," he said.

"We are both in Fulham to achieve a goal and that is to avoid relegation. Everything else is secondary."

Meanwhile, Magath is similarly positive regarding the task ahead and underlined the importance of focus in the light of backroom changes.

"I have only time now to work with the players and prepare the team for the most important game next Saturday [against West Brom]. We will talk about [backroom] stuff afterwards," he told the club's official website.

"I am sure I can [keep Fulham up]," he added. "I have done it before in Germany. I have taken over smaller clubs in a similar situation to Fulham and I am very confident I can do it once more here in England with Fulham.

"I think 12 games are enough to keep them in the Premier League and we need confidence now. We need spirit and we will start next Saturday at West Brom. We have a team that has more potential than what we have shown."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/02/17/4625802/-?

WhiteJC

FULHAM APPOINT MAGATH

Fulham Football Club has announced the hiring of Felix Magath as First Team Manager, effective immediately.

The announcement was made jointly by Chairman Shahid Khan and CEO Alistair Mackintosh. The club website said that an announcement on the Fulham backroom staff will be made in the near future.

Shahid Khan said:

"I'm very happy to welcome Felix Magath to Fulham Football Club. Felix is an accomplished manager with multiple honours in the Bundesliga and a hunger to replicate his success with Fulham in the Barclays Premier League. I'm especially impressed with the reputation Felix has for coming into clubs at difficult times, often late in the season, and lifting them to their potential and beyond. Felix knows that is precisely the task awaiting him at Fulham, and he made it abundantly clear that he wants and is ready for the opportunity.

"Our Club has shown promise in recent matches, but the fact is we haven't won a league match since 1st January. Given our form, we can no longer merely hope that our fortunes will finally turn. And with 12 matches remaining and at least four points separating us from safety, we certainly can no longer post empty results. Action was required.

"Alistair Mackintosh did a wonderful job during the January transfer window to improve our Club. This week, Alistair recommended Felix, with his history of producing results for clubs with similar challenges as ours, as the new manager of Fulham. Alistair's recommendation received my complete approval and Felix has my unequivocal support."

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/news-7360.html?

WhiteJC

Wilkins ordered to stay away from Fulham as new boss Magath decides his future

Ray Wilkins' future at Fulham looks bleak after he was ordered to stay away from the training ground while new manager Felix Magath makes a decision over his future.

Wilkins, along with head coach Rene Meulensteen and technical director Alan Curbishley, remain under contract at Craven Cottage but a decision over their future is set to be made early this week.

The former Chelsea and Manchester Untied midfielder is waiting for a call from Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh with a decision over his future, but the indications are that it does not look positive.

Not looking good: Fulham assistant manager Ray Wilkins has been told to stay away from the training ground

Arrival: Felix Magath arriving at Fulham's Motspur training ground for the first time

Hardline: Fulham's players are in for a rude awakening when Felix Magath takes charge of training, according to Bayern Munich chief Uli Hoeness

Wilkins' actions in the game against Liverpool - when he left the bench after the first 10 minutes to sit in the stands - made it 'increasingly difficult' to justify retaining his services, according to a Fulham source.

And Magath, who is not set to speak to the media until a pre-match press conference on Thursday, has not shed any light on the situation.

'We signed last Friday night, so the time is too short to make up our mind about this stuff,' he said.

Introduction: Magath meets his players for the first time

Replaced: Fulham moved to replace Rene Meulensteen with Magath as they seek to climb away from the foot of the Premier League table

In trouble: Fulham are four points adrift of safety

'I have only time now to work with the players and prepare the team for the most important game next Saturday. We will talk about the stuff afterwards.'

Magath's first match at the helm will be Saturday's trip to fellow strugglers West Brom.

It is a match the 60-year-old approaches pleasantly 'surprised' by the qualities his new side showed in his first training session at Motspur Park.

'I know not only the German players, but the international players very well,' said Magath, who has previously worked with Lewis Holtby, Sascha Riether and Ashkan Dejagah.

'I would think that we would have a team that has more potential than what we have shown.

Well-versed: Fulham's Lewis Holtby (right) is one of three players in the squad to have experienced Magath's methods
'I am sure that we will do that in the next games, show our fans, who I hope will support us in our most important game next weekend against West Bromwich, that we can do better than our last games.'

Asked if Fulham can beat the drop, Magath said: 'Yeah, I am sure I can because I have done it sometimes before in Germany.

'I have taken over clubs in a similar situation to Fulham and I am very confident I can do it once more here in England with Fulham.

'I think 12 games are enough to keep them in the Premier League and we need confidence now. We need spirit and we will start next Saturday at West Bromwich.

'If the players, the staff and fans will support us 100 per cent and the players give 100 per cent in the next days, I am sure we have the potential to avoid relegation.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2561192/Ray-Wilkins-ordered-stay-away-Fulham-Felix-Magath-decides-future.html#ixzz2tb8zv1kI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Rene Meulensteen's future to be decided after talks

Talks: Meulensteen has not been sacked

Felix Magath plans to hold talks with Rene Meulensteen over the Dutchman's future at Fulham, as the confusion at the club continued today.

Meulensteen has not been sacked despite Magath's appointment as first-team manager and Fulham continue to insist the head coach remains under contract.

Magath, who was hired on Friday and this morning took his second training session, will also decide on the futures of Ray Wilkins and Alan Curbishley. Fulham today said discussions between Magath, chief executive Alistair Mackintosh and members of the backroom staff were ongoing.

Magath said yesterday: "I will meet them soon to talk to them and then I will make a decision with Alistair."

Meulensteen and assistant head coach Wilkins were absent from Magath's first training session and both are expected to leave. Alan Curbishley may stay at the club in his role as technical director following talks with Magath.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/rene-meulensteens-future-to-be-decided-after-talks-9133621.html

WhiteJC

Felix Magath's ruthless regime works

Much has been made of Felix Magath's reputation as an old-fashioned disciplinarian but he has a history of making an instant impact at clubs fighting against relegation.

The man tasked with rescuing Fulham's season steered Nuremberg, Werder Bremen, Frankfurt and Stuttgart to safety in the Bundesliga.

Stories of players collapsing during mountain runs and Magath hiding drinking water following gruelling pre-season sessions suggests he will work the players into the ground at Craven Cottage.

Those tales may go some way to explaining why Magath has been without a job since leave Wolfsburg two years ago.

Fulham trio Lewis Holtby, Sascha Riether and Ashkan Dejagah have played under him and will no doubt have warned their team-mates about Magath's methods. Bayern Munich president Uni Hoeness claims Magath was hated by his players when he was in charge and there have even been stories of former players holding parties to celebrate his departure from clubs.

Magath's style is in stark contrast to Meulensteen's laid-back approach. He will want to exert total control over his squad and expects players to push themselves to the limit. Physical improvements alone, however, will not stop Fulham from going down.

While there have been signs of improvements against Manchester United and Liverpool, Fulham are four points from safety and without a win since New Year's Day.

Magath's first task will surely be tightening up a defence that has conceded 58 goals in 26 League games this season. It remains to be seen whether he will keep faith in young centre-back Dan Burn, who has impressed in recent weeks, or if captain Brede Hangeland will be restored alongside new signing John Heitinga.

He will need to make an immediate impact, with Fulham facing a pivotal run of fixtures. Magath, who becomes the first German to manage in the Premier League, has a week to prepare for a crucial trip to 17th-placed West Brom knowing victory at The Hawthorns will move Fulham within striking distance of a cluster of clubs above them. A home game with Chelsea is then followed by winnable games against Cardiff (a) and Newcastle (h).

"I'm sure I can [keep Fulham up] because I've done it in Germany with clubs in similar situations," said Magath. "I'm confident I can do it in England."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/felix-magaths-ruthless-regime-works-9133645.html

WhiteJC

Felix Magath impressed by Fulham quality

Felix Magath believes the quality of his squad and his experience of rescuing relegation-threatened clubs will ensure Fulham remain in the Barclays Premier League this season.

The former Bayern Munich and Stuttgart boss took over as manager at Craven Cottage on Friday charged with the task of steering the bottom-placed club out of the danger zone, and Magath is confident the west London side have both the quality and the right man at the helm to bridge the four-point gap that separates themselves from safety.

"We had the first training session [today] and I was surprised by the team," Magath told Fulham TV on Sunday. "They are very ambitious. The players are keen to show you better results in the next games and I'm sure we can make it."

The 60-year-old twice guided Bayern Munich to the league and cup double in Germany before leading Wolfsburg to Bundesliga success but it was his reputation for salvaging clubs at risk of relegation that first established him among the most highly regarded managers in his native country.

Magath steered Nuremburg and Eintracht Frankfurt away from the lower reaches of the German second and first tier respectively, before turning Stuttgart from relegation strugglers into title contenders in his three seasons in charge. Now he intends to work his magic in his first taste of management in the Barclays Premier League.

"I know not only the German players, I know the international players very well," said Magath. "We have a team that has more potential than we have shown before and I'm sure that we will do that in the next games and show our fans, [who] I hope will support us in our most important game next Saturday against West Bromwich [Albion], that we [will] do much better than we did in our last games."

Magath has yet to make any firm decisions on his backroom staff as his focus is trained on making a winning start to his Fulham career on Saturday, when his side resume their Barclays Premier League campaign at The Hawthorns.

"I have only time now to work with the players and to prepare the team to the most important game next Saturday," he said.
"Twelve games are enough to keep them in the Premier League and we need confidence now and a winning spirit and we will start next Saturday at West Brom with it.

"If the players the staff and the fans support us 100 per cent and the players give 100 per cent in the next days I'm sure that we have the potential to avoid relegation."

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2013-14/feb/felix-magath-impressed-by-fulham-quality.html?

WhiteJC

Shahid Khan's questionable decisions

Gamble: Fulham owner Khan

Rene Meulensteen feels Fulham's appointment of Felix Magath is "the problem with owners who do not really understand the Premier League" and some of Shahid Khan's decisions since taking over must be called into question.

Relieving Meulensteen of his first-team duties after only 75 days is a gamble that could cost Fulham relegation. The timing of the decision is strange given Khan backed Meulensteen with more than £15million in the transfer window and his new-look side had shown signs of improvements.

Meulensteen says Khan hit the "panic button on the emotions of fear". But a second managerial change of the season is a calculated risk Khan felt he had to take.

Why now? Backing Meulensteen in the transfer window gave Fulham a fighting chance of survival but Magath may be left with players who do not fit into his plans. "They should have thought about that," said Meulensteen. "And if they were not sure, it would have been wiser to make this decision before the window."

Khan's decision to sack Martin Jol in December was understandable but Meulensteen has since admitted his appointment "took him by surprise". Khan then appointed Alan Curbishley as technical director but that has not improved results. And whether Curbishley and Magath can work together remains to be seen.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/shahid-khans-questionable-decisions-9133678.html