News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anyone going to the US MNT match tonight in CT?

Started by FFCOutpostCommander, May 25, 2010, 04:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanJames

to be honest i would have rather seen EJ than Robbie Findley, Atleast EJ has shown he can play at the international level before ( i kno it was concacaf qualification and such but still) and he has played well in Greece lately
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

HatterDon

Quote from: AmericanJames on May 28, 2010, 10:22:33 PM
to be honest i would have rather seen EJ than Robbie Findley, Atleast EJ has shown he can play at the international level before ( i kno it was concacaf qualification and such but still) and he has played well in Greece lately

I agree, AJ, but I've given up on saying anything positive about Eddie on this site. All it does is increase the level of abuse he gets. I think he'll do well with the rest of his career, and I would have felt better if Ching and Eddie had gone along with Gomez and Jozy.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

Seriously Eddie Johnson is pure sh1te, dont go getting all soft on him because he's sorta American. I dont go all doe eyed on English players just because they're English, if they're sh1te they're shite, end of.

AmericanJames

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 28, 2010, 11:09:06 PM
Seriously Eddie Johnson is pure sh1te, dont go getting all soft on him because he's sorta American. I dont go all doe eyed on English players just because they're English, if they're sh1te they're shite, end of.

Im no getting all doe eyed on him because he's american, im talking sense because we have a smaller talent pool and with charlie davies almost dieing it is even smaller, and with 12 goals in 40 national team appearances , and 5 goals in 15 appearances in Greece I wouldn't mind having him as a 4th striker especially over robbie findley (who they only took because of his pace).
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Tom

Quote from: AmericanJames on May 28, 2010, 10:22:33 PM
All I can say is, what the hell is Findley doing on the roster! EJ did not look good the other night.
Fulham for life!

Tom

At this point and time, I have to agree with you Freddy.
Fulham for life!

finnster01

Quote from: AmericanJames on May 29, 2010, 12:28:01 AM

Im no getting all doe eyed on him because he's american, im talking sense because we have a smaller talent pool and with charlie davies almost dieing it is even smaller, and with 12 goals in 40 national team appearances , and 5 goals in 15 appearances in Greece I wouldn't mind having him as a 4th striker especially over robbie findley (who they only took because of his pace).
Of those 12 EJ goals for USA 11 of them have come against "quality" opposition such as Panama, T&T, Barbados, Guatemala, Jamaica, El Salvador and Honduras...He has scored once against quality which was against Argentina in a 4-1 US loss.

The stat that cements my banjo rating on him is not his 0 goals for Fulham in 7 appearances in the Prem, but the fact that he made 30 appearances for Cardiff in the Championship and managed to score twice... If that is your 4th striker, you have even bigger issues than we have in finding a single goal keeper able to catch a cold.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

I often wonder how European sides would fare playing at CONCACAF venues on pitches made of corrugated cardboard in 90% humidity and fans throwing AA batteries at you. I also often wonder how European sides would perform at home if they were treated like the away side.

It is true, however, that we don't have to play against intimidating giants in CONCACAF like Malta, Andorra, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands.

Tom

Is anyone going to the game against Turkey in Philly today? We should see our first team playing today. I am interested to see if Dempsey is playing up top or his normal MF spot.
Fulham for life!

finnster01

I missed the US Match today, but saw that Clint scored the winner. Good result for the US. Turkey is a good team.

Any match report and ratings from anyone? Cheers.

mhatc

Quote from: finnster01 on May 29, 2010, 10:01:39 PM
I missed the US Match today, but saw that Clint scored the winner. Good result for the US. Turkey is a good team.

Any match report and ratings from anyone? Cheers.

First half line-up stunk. 4-4-1-1. Did better in the second half when we inserted a creative central midfielder and moved Clint back. Specter looked bad in the first half at RB. Cherundolo looked better. Thought we would draw when Bornstein came in and he almost made it happen. Clints goal was class. Hit the post on another chance. Findley looked fast, but ran out of ideas at the endline. His through ball to Donovan that set up the tying goal was class. Half the crowd was Turkish. Not as festive as some of the CONCACAF crowds except for a folk dancing troup. Donovan gave the ball away a lot, but had some brilliant moments. His corners and free kicks were aweful. Torres helped create when he came in. Apparently he has been teaching Clint Mexican goal celebrations like the African one Pantsil and Etuhu did last year. Boca was solid on the left Onyewu looked better this time. Demerit was solid except for 1 give away. Goodson was ok. Feilhaber is wasted on the wing. He didn't do much in the first half. Holden looked good when he came on. Jozy looked good later on. He took a while to get going. Our CBs let Tuncay have too much time on the ball. Michael Bradley didn't have any stupid fouls. That constitutes a good match for him. Too bad I couldn't make it to an Eagles game last year, the views are great from everywhere. I was high up. That's about all I've got.

HatterDon

Thanks, Mr. Mhatc.

I set my DVR for 2 hours of international football and got 5 minutes of pregame and that was it.  :020:

HatterDon

Thanks, Mr. Mhatc.

I set my DVR for 2 hours of international football and got 5 minutes of pregame and that was it.  :020:

Only half of the 60k crowd was cheering for Turkey? The best percentage we've had at a USA venue [outside of Columbus or Salt Lake City] in years!

finnster01

I have one question though.

Capello has taken the England team to high altitude training in Austria to prepare for the SA. The England - US game is in Rustenburg which is at 1500m above sea level (i.e. close to a mile high).

Are the US doing anything similar? Don't they usually train somewhere in California that is pretty low altitude?

If they are not, they could be hit by a bit of the good old fatigue bug as can be witnessed by the home record by teams like Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador, who all play at high altitudes and are very hard to beat away.
Just a thought. The devil is always in the details, and just like our FA isn't packed with rocket scientists (as can be witnessed by yet another "shoot-yourself-in-the-foot" event regarding our bid for the next WC on the table), I do get the impression that the US version isn't too far behind on the "useless" scale. Maybe it is just me over-analysing. Just curious.

mhatc

Quote from: finnster01 on May 30, 2010, 01:00:42 PM

Capello has taken the England team to high altitude training in Austria to prepare for the SA. The England - US game is in Rustenburg which is at 1500m above sea level (i.e. close to a mile high).

Are the US doing anything similar? Don't they usually train somewhere in California that is pretty low altitude?

If they are not, they could be hit by a bit of the good old fatigue bug as can be witnessed by the home record by teams like Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador, who all play at high altitudes and are very hard to beat away.
Just a thought. The devil is always in the details, and just like our FA isn't packed with rocket scientists (as can be witnessed by yet another "shoot-yourself-in-the-foot" event regarding our bid for the next WC on the table), I do get the impression that the US version isn't too far behind on the "useless" scale. Maybe it is just me over-analysing. Just curious.

No, we trained in Princeton, NJ. We could do altitude training in Denver if we wanted. Hatter, this was the first time I have seen us outside of Columbus, so it was nice to see a huge crowd.

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on May 30, 2010, 01:00:42 PM

Not over-analyzing, sir. Just good questions.

Our primary training ground is at Cary, NC -- a coastal area. Our preferred "soccer-only" venue is usually LA's Home Depot Center -- especially if we're playing Mexico. Our best high-altitude venue is either Salt Lake or Denver, but unless I'm totally off base about this, I think only our first match is in the mountains. Our other two first round matches will be near sea level. A greater concern -- if both England and USA want to approximate game conditions is the fact that it's approaching winter down there, and the high-altitude match might be played in snow or sleet.

USSOCCER's decision about where to play a match is hardly ever designed to find a venue where the USMNT has a built-in advantage. The exception is whenever we schedule Mexico for Columbus Crew's home stadium, or when we schedule a coastal nation to play at Real Salt Lake's Rio Tinto stadium -- about 6,500 feet there. No, we schedule matches near where we know there's a lot of support FOR THE VISITING TEAM.

We play Ireland in Boston
We play El Salvador in NY/NJ
We play Haiti in Florida
We play Mexico in California or Texas
We play Poland in Chicago

As to why we played the two warmup matches in Connecticut and Philadelphia:

1. The Connecticut venue is close to ESPN's headquarters, and both matches -- especially the first one -- were heavily promoted on ESPN. Most yanks figure a quid pro quo there.

2. The second match was in Philadelphia, the home of MLS's newest franchise. They've only played a few home matches so far, and drawing 68,000 for a come-from-behind victory over a very representative Turkey side was a god-send.

The major difference between the USA and all other top-25 rated nations [FIFA rankings] is that EVERY match is designed as a way to promote the sport and show stadiums filled with partisan supporters whooping it up. If the USA wins, that's fine, but it's not the major idea behind it.

finnster01

68000 for a friendly is pretty impressive. Not many countries can do that, in fact even England on a bad day outside of Wembley.

But I do get your point Mr Hatter.

I hope the US go deep into the WC along with England.

clintclintdeuce

Another reason behind playing on the east coast is that the flight to SA is shorter than from the west coast by 4 to 5 hours. We played on the west coast when it was in korea and japan and the east coast for germany.

The Dude abides.