more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (20/02/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 20, 2014, 09:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

The German Experience

New Fulham Manager Felix Magath is a man Lewis Holtby knows well – and the midfielder is backing his compatriot to lead the Whites to survival.

German Magath was named the Club's boss on Friday and takes his new charges to The Hawthorns to face West Bromwich Albion on Saturday for his first game in charge.

Holtby played under Magath during the pair's time at Schalke and told the official website: "I know him well. He's won titles in Germany and done some great stuff in the Bundesliga. He's a very hard-working guy who wants 100 per cent from his sides.

"We're going to get the full German experience from him and I definitely think he'll help us achieve our goal of staying up in the Barclays Premier League."

Magath, who also managed Sascha Riether and Ashkan Dejagah at Wolfsburg, arrives in SW6 with something of a reputation for putting his men through their paces on the training pitch, something Holtby feels can only work in Fulham's favour.

"Training's been good, although it's definitely been a new experience for the English players," he said. "Myself, Sascha and Ashkan know all about him but in training he works you really hard and you always have to be on top of your game."

With all the events in SW6 over the last few days, it's almost been easy to forget the Whites have a crucial game this weekend against fellow strugglers West Brom.

Holtby, though, is fully aware of the importance of the encounter in the Midlands, stating: "It's a massive game. In Germany we call it a six-point game and I think you have a similar saying over here. We need to win this fixture.

"We were unlucky against Liverpool where we should have taken something from the game, but now it's not about complaints, it's about getting points and winning these types of games.

"I played against West Brom for Tottenham Hotspur in December and it's going to be very hard. They're very organised and very energetic."

Since joining the Whites on loan from Spurs in January, Holtby has hit the ground running, quickly becoming a firm favourite with the Fulham faithful.

"My teammates and everyone around the Club have made it very easy for me to settle in," he said. "That shows how warm the Club is and how closely everyone works together. The last few weeks have been brilliant for me.

"I came here to enjoy my football, to give my all and play as well as I can for this Club and for the team. I don't want to go down with this Club – I didn't come here to just do my own thing, that's not my task. My task is that when I came here I wanted the Club to stay up and I'll graft to make sure they do."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/19/the-german-experience?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath sends clear message to Fulham players

Up in arms: new Fulham boss Felix Magath has a reputation for being a strict disciplinarian

After dispensing with the services of Rene Meulensteen, Alan Curbishley and Ray Wilkins, the onus is now on Felix Magath and his new backroom staff to build a healthy relationship with his players as Fulham bid to escape relegation.

Boss Meulensteen and assistants Curbishley and Wilkins officially left last night following Magath's decision to reshape his coaching team.

Magath has brought in conditioning expert Werner Leuthard and respected coach Tomas Oral, sending a clear message to his players that what happened under the previous regime was not good enough.

The former Bayern Munich coach has been unpopular with ex-players because of his old-school approach but he quickly needs to gain the trust of his new squad if they are to buy into his strict methods. It is up to him to ensure there is a working relationship between his players and the new coaches.

Much has been made of Magath's belief in fitness but Leuthard will be the man running the intense conditioning sessions. Leuthard, who has established a reputation in Germany for physically pushing players to the limit, first worked with Magath at Stuttgart in 2002 before following him to Bayern, Wolfsburg and Schalke before returning to Wolfsburg.Fulham defender Sascha Riether worked with Leuthard, 52, at Wolfsburg and will no doubt have warned his team-mates what to expect. Oral, who joins as a first-team coach, has managed in the German Second Division and the Austrian lower leagues.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan said: "Felix has come to Fulham with purpose and exceptional confidence and I know he is extremely pleased to have Tomas Oral and Werner Leuthard join him. The focus is singularly on winning football matches and remaining in the Premier League. The work has begun."

Meanwhile, Wilkins has revealed he is suffering from the same debilitating illness as Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher. Wilkins, 57, who has been fighting the chronic bowel disease ulcerative colitis since 1990, has faced allegations he looked drunk during last week's home defeat against Liverpool.

But Wilkins told the Daily Mail: "I need to control the ulcerative colitis with medication, which I had not done before the Liverpool game. Unfortunately I can look the worse for wear but it is nothing to do with drink. I didn't want to make a fuss so did not tell Rene."

Fulham say they are unaware of Wilkins' illness.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/felix-magath-sends-clear-message-to-fulham-players-9138420.html

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Jack Grimmer played 90 minutes on Tuesday night but Port Vale were left deflated after a stoppage time winner condemned them to a 1-0 defeat at Bradford City.

Vale had defended valiantly throughout, although they needed goalkeeper Chris Neal to be on top form more than once, but left Valley Parade without any points courtesy of Carl McHugh's header from a corner in time added on.

Micky Adams' side are next in Sky Bet League One action on Saturday when they host Crewe Alexandra.

In League Two, Marcus Bettinelli kept his seventh clean sheet of the campaign as Accrington Stanley drew 0-0 with Bury.

It was an outstanding performance by the on-loan Fulham stopper, who pulled off excellent saves from Anton Forrester, Craig Jones and Daniel Nardiello to earn his side a point.

The draw was even more valuable for Stanley considering they played for over an hour with 10 men following Lawrie Wilson's dismissal for a foul on Jones. They now sit five points clear of the drop zone and are away at Torquay United at the weekend.

Elsewhere in the division, Ryan Williams continued his comeback from injury as a 58th minute replacement for Dave Kitson as Oxford United fell to a 3-2 defeat at Newport County.

James Constable put the visitors ahead but Rene Howe equalised for the Welsh side on the stroke of half-time. Goals from Ryan Burge and Chris Zebroski then put County in control of the tie, although Alfie Potter's late strike made for a nervy finale.

The U's remain in the automatic promotion places despite the defeat, and travel to Morecombe on Saturday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/19/loan-round-up?

WhiteJC

Ghana midfielder Derek Boateng's World Cup hopes dashed?

Midfielder Derek Boateng's dream of playing at the 2014 FIFA World Cup finals Brazil is all but over due to his continuous inactivity at club.

The 30-year-old has been unused at English Premier League side Fulham since playing in the FA Cup 1-1 draw with Norwich City last month.

Boateng was hoping to move away from Craven Cottage in search of regular playing but that could not go through during the January transfer window.
English Championship side Watford failed to snap up the defensive midfielder on transfer deadline day.

Boateng has been out of the Ghana squad since playing at the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa where the Black Stars finished fourth.

Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah will definitely exclude the former Granada player from his final 23-man squad due to the available many active midfielders.

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/ghana-midfielder-derek-boatengs-world-cup-hopes-dashed/?

WhiteJC

Magath Questions Meulensteen Methods

Felix Magath has questioned his predecessor Rene Meulensteen's methods during his time at Fulham.

However I wouldn't quite say, as the Metro tried to put it, that Magath has placed the Fulham problems at the feet of Meulensteen as lets face it Fulham's problems run deeper than the 12-weeks that he was in charge of first team affairs at Craven Cottage.

The new Fulham boss told SportBild: 'My predecessor let them play very attacking football for four games. Then he suddenly rearranged the defence, and that destabilised the whole team.`

A players day off has also been scraped with the German, rightly so, saying that Saturday's meeting with West Bromwich Albion is vitally important to Fulham's season he in fact said it was the 'most important game in the clubs history', which might be a little too strong a point?

What he did do when speaking to the German magazine is 'question his methods', which is different to 'blaming Meulensteen for Fulham's season' as the suggestion was put.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=350210#ixzz2tqrfZ25q

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Felix Magath wastes no time in criticising predecessor Rene Meulensteen for his 'destabilising' tactics

Magath has replaced Meulensteen at Craven Cottage and feels that the Dutchman did the side no favours by switching from an attacking style to defensive after just four matches

New Fulham manager Felix Magath has wasted no time in hitting out at his predecessor Rene Meulensteen after claiming his lack of tactical direction "destabilised" the squad.

The 60-year-old German was appointed last week with confirmation coming today that Meulensteen and his support staff – made up of Alan Curbishley and Ray Wilkins – had all been replaced, and Magath has criticised the Dutchman by claiming his switch in the side's tactical approach did them no favours at all.

Speaking to German weekly magazine SportBild, Magath said: "My predecessor let them play very attacking football for four games. Then he suddenly rearranged the defence, and that destabilised the whole team.

"My most important task is to bring in a clear structure."

While the former Hamburg midfielder stressed that he was "focused only on Fulham", but conceded that he wouldn't even be in London had his old club supported him in his offer to take over until the end of the season.

Ex-Germany international Lothar Matthaus hit out at Magath earlier this week when he claimed "Magath messed a lot of people around (in his discussions with Hamburg)" before taking the job at Craven Cottage, but Magath has fired back at the 150-time capped midfielder.

"I didn't mess anybody around," explained Magath. "I played with my cards on the table, and was clear that I had other options, but there wasn't a universal support for me in the club."

Reports in Germany claimed that the Cottager's new manager offered to work for Hamburg without taking home a salary in an effort to aid the €3m pay-off Bert van Marwijk received upon his exit from the club, although it was also widely reported that this was on the basis of a €1m bonus should he keep the club in the Bundesliga.

Magath went on to explain that the squad had no problems with his first act at Fulham, in replacing their day off with training in a bid to turn around their problems and save them from Premier League relegation, starting with a meeting with fellow strugglers West Brom this weekend.

"No one had a problem with that,' explained Magath. "West Brom are a direct competitor in the relegation fight, and this is probably the most important game in this club's history."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-manager-felix-magath-wastes-no-time-in-criticising-predecessor-rene-meulensteen-for-his-destabilising-tactics-9139254.html

WhiteJC

Man City U18s 1-3 FFC U18s

Moussa Dembélé pounced to score two late goals as Fulham U18s secured their place in the last eight of the FA Youth Cup by knocking out Manchester City.

After a deadlocked first half, Whites captain Liam Donnelly headed the Whites ahead in the Fifth Round tie but Thierry Ambrose hit back for the home side in the game at Oldham Athletic's Boundary Park.

It continued to be a closely-fought contest until Dembélé seized the initiative, reacting brilliantly to hook past City keeper Billy O'Brien after Patrick Roberts' determined 78th-minute run.

And Dembélé ensured victory was secure in this clash between the current leaders of the respective Northern and Southern sections of the Barclays U18 Premier League, with a crisp 84th-minute volley.

Steve Wigley's boys edged a seven-goal thriller when the teams met in a September league outing, and the danger signs for City appeared early on as George Williams' header deflected narrowly wide.

Moments later, Dean O'Halloran delivered another pin-point cross but Cameron Burgess headed the wrong side of the crossbar as the home side rode out the Whites' pressure in the first five minutes.

City's first sight on goal arrived after a crunching tackle from skipper Donnelly resulted in a corner and Kean Bryan climbed highest but couldn't direct his effort on target from 10 yards.

With City growing into the game, the Whites were forced to defend more set-pieces and goalkeeper Marek Rodàk breathed a sigh of relief when Mathias Bossaerts nodded wide from three yards.

Dembélé gave City a reminder of his presence, almost collecting Emerson Hyndman's delicate pass, and keeper O'Brien had to back-peddle to push Jordan Evans' looping cross over.

It was Rodàk who was soon outshining his opposite number, however, stopping Ambrose's cross with his legs before reacting to make a double save from Olivier Ntcham's eight-yard drive.

The Whites were moving the ball well as the half hour passed and Roberts drifted into space on the left, only to be stopped by Bossaerts last-ditch tackle. The latest Whites youngster to sign a professional deal then ghosted to the right, his 25-yard strike missing the goalpost by a whisker.

Home keeper O'Brien was made to dive full-stretch to stop Burgess' towering far post header and Dembélé made City's backline sweat again, this time Ashley Smith-Brown supplying the saving tackle.

Dembélé's threat continued after the interval and a minute into the second half the Frenchman had the ball in the City net but Soloman Sambou, who supplied the square ball, was flagged offside.

Rodàk reacted brilliantly again when called upon to claw Jorge Intima's jabbed six-yard shot away from his line on 55 minutes, and City paid the price for the missed opportunity moments later.

A sweeping Whites counter earned a corner and Donnelly wriggled free of his marker to power in O'Halloran's inviting delivery. The Captain was soon making an impact at both ends, charging down Ntcham's goal-bound 18-yard drive as City looked for a reply.

The hosts continued to attack with intent, and Ambrose levelled the scores by glancing home J|ose Tasende's out-swinging cross with the finest of touches. Jack Byrne spurned two decent chances to put City ahead, one scuffed at Rodàk, one driven over, and the Whites responded in the best possible way.

Roberts had thundered down the right wing to open up room between City's defenders but his pull-back from the by-line left Dembélé with plenty to do in turning the ball past O'Brien with his back to goal.

No sooner had the Whites gone ahead, gaps opened in their opponents' half and O'Halloran exploited the space to find Dembélé, who again showed his striker's instincts to rifle in his second of the night.

City substitute Bersant Celina forced another good block from Rodàk in the closing stages but the Whites played out time to secure a Sixth Round match-up with Huddersfield Town, the shock conquerors of Manchester United in Round Five.

Fulham: Rodak; Sheckleford, Donnelly, Burgess, Evans; O'Halloran, Hyndman, Sambou, Williams; Roberts; Dembélé. Substitutes: Norman, Baba, Leacock-McLeod, Nabay, Walker.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/19/u18s-man-city-report?

WhiteJC

Grimmer learning

Defender praises team mates

On loan centre half Jack Grimmer is happy now that Vale seem to have shored things up at the back, but says it I a team effort.

A lot has been said about his partnership with Joe Davis and the heart of the Vale defence, but the Fulham youngster is quick to acknowledge the part others play.

He said: "It was definitely starting to play on my mind, shipping goals like we were, but scoring goals, now it is the other way round, we are not conceding and we are not scoring.

"We can't seem to get it right at both ends, but as a defender obviously I am desperate every game to get a clean sheet because at the end of the day if your opponents don't score a goal you come away with a point.

"We have two young, hungry centre halves who are desperate each match for a clean sheet, but it is a team effort, a clean sheet doesn't just come from two centre halves.

"Everyone together has been dying  for a clean sheet, especially against Colchester at home, it wasn't just me and Joe putting our bodies on the line, it was everyone, especially Chris Neal, you have got to give massive credit to him for the saves he pulls off to get the clean sheets."

Grimmer feels he has learned a lot already since joining the club on loan and says his outlook to the game has already been influenced by Micky Adams and his staff.

He said: "First and foremost three points is the bread and butter of what we do, that is hammered home to you right from the start, it is what everyone needs.

"But working day to day with such people who have played so many games and managed so many games and been around the block has helped me come on leaps and bounds in the short month and a half I have been here."

Read more at http://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/article/20140219-grimmer-learning-1370076.aspx?#Q8gmmclCy0EgMcI9.99

WhiteJC

McGhee wanted by Fulham

SCOTLAND assistant manager Mark McGhee could be set to join Felix Magath's coaching staff at Fulham.

McGhee is wanted by the Cottagers [ROSS TURPIE]

McGhee is understood to be one of the candidates Magath is considering for his vacant No 2 position.

The pair are friends from McGhee's playing days in Germany with Hamburg.

They have remained in touch throughout their own management careers and Magath is now looking to put a backroom team together that can help keep struggling Fulham in the Premier League.

McGhee's knowledge of the game south of the border from his time as manager at Reading, Leicester, Wolves, Millwall and Brighton would be invaluable to Magath as he takes his first steps into English football.

Former Bayern Munich manager Magath was appointed last week after boss Rene Meulensteen, assistant Ray Wilkins and director of football Alan Curbishley were shown the Craven Cottage door.

If McGhee does get the job the ex-Aberdeen and Motherwell boss would continue his role as Scotland assistant on its current part-time basis.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/460746/McGhee-wanted-by-Fulham

WhiteJC

PREVIEW - Crisis club Fulham seek fresh start with Magath

(Reuters) - Fulham will look to put a week of off-field drama behind them and focus on their bid to avoid relegation when they travel to fellow strugglers West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League on Saturday (1500 GMT).

The west London club are bottom with 20 points, four off safety, and on Friday appointed German Felix Magath as their third manager this season following the dismissals of Martin Jol and Rene Meulensteen.

The club confirmed this week that assistant coach Ray Wilkins and technical director Alan Curbishley had been let go just weeks after they were appointed, while first team coaches Mick Priest and Jonathan Hill also joined the exodus of backroom staff from Craven Cottage.

Fulham, ever-present in the Premier League since 2001, have picked up one point from their last six matches and have brought in Magath in the hope that the noted disciplinarian can arrest their slump.

"We're going to get the full German experience from him and I definitely think he'll help us achieve our goal of staying in the Premier League," midfielder and fellow German Lewis Holtby said.

Record signing Kostas Mitroglou could be in line for his debut after arriving from Greek champions Olympiakos Piraeus lacking match fitness.

West Brom are outside the relegation zone on goal difference and, despite a creditable 1-1 draw with leaders Chelsea last time out, are without a win under new manager Pepe Mel.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/02/20/soccer-england-preview-fulham-idINDEEA1J03U20140220?rpc=401&feedType=RSS&feedName=sportsNews&rpc=401

WhiteJC

West Brom's Liam Ridgewell ready for 'biggest game of the season'
Defender Liam Ridgewell today branded Albion's survival showdown with Fulham as their biggest game of the season as they returned to work to prepare for Saturday's clash.

The left-back reckons the Baggies must start beating their relegation rivals to avoid the drop from the Premier League – starting with victory over the Cottagers and their new boss Felix Magath.

Albion have won just once in their last 16 league games to leave themselves in a dogfight to avoid the drop but they now face Fulham, Swansea, Hull, Cardiff and Norwich – all within touching distance of the relegation zone – in a crucial six-week spell that will define their campaign.

They were back at their Great Barr training ground today after a training camp in Spain and Ridgewell said: "We have 12 massive games coming up. A lot of us have been here before, in tense run-ins, so starting with the Fulham game we've got to start beating the teams around us.

"We knew it was going to be a tough season and if you look at all the teams below Southampton, everyone is right in it.

"We've got to put a few wins together and try to get away from it.

"Within the context of the season games don't get any bigger than Fulham. It's a big game for them and for us, but we just have to go into the same way we went into the Chelsea match and I'm sure we'll come out with the points we need.

"Being in and around the bottom three isn't nice, but the small number of points that is separating a lot of teams is crazy.

"West Ham have shown that if you put a few wins together you can soon move up. Things will chop and change but we need to put a few wins together to get ourselves out of it."

And Ridgewell reckons the Baggies laid a foundation for improved form with their impressive fightback to claim a 1-1 draw against Premier League leaders Chelsea in their last outing.

"We have drawn a lot of games this season but taking a point off Chelsea, the leaders, was a good result," he said.

"What we want to do is get back to being hard to beat. Hopefully we showed that against Chelsea and we can carry it on into Saturday."

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2014/02/20/west-broms-liam-ridgewell-ready-for-biggest-game-of-the-season/?

WhiteJC

Is this Fulham's new backroom team? With Wilkins and Curbishley shown the door, Magath watches U21s with long-term allies
New manager Felix Magath makes changes to Fulham backroom team
Wilkins and Curbishley leave after being brought to the club by Rene Meulensteen in December
Magath is Fulham's third manager of the season
German confident of survival despite being four points from safety

Felix Magath's chaotic first days in charge of Fulham will end with confirmation that Alan Curbishley and Ray Wilkins are to be dismissed.

Curbishley was told he would be fired after a short meeting at the club's Motspur Park training centre on Monday morning and Wilkins' fate was sealed later in the afternoon.

Fellow Fulham coaches John Hill and Mick Priest have also been relieved of their duties, while Magath was pictured at Fulham under-21s' 3-1 loss to Leicester with long-term allies bernd Hollerbach and Wener Leuthard.

Watching on: Felix Magath (right) watched Fulham U21s with Werner Leuthard (left) and Bernd Hollerbach, who worked with the new Fulham manager at Bayern Munich, Schalke and Wolfsburg

MAGATH'S MEN
Bernd Hollerbach is a coach who joined up with Magath's Wolfsburg side in 2007 before following him to Schalke.
Werner Leuthard has been with Magath even longer, serving as fitness coach at Bayern Munich from 2004 and joining Magath's team at Wolfsburg and Schalke.

Incredibly head coach Rene Meulensteen, who has been deposed by Magath, is still agonising over a decision to return to Fulham to work alongside the German manager.

League Manager's Association chief executive Richard Bevan has been attempting to mediate after Meulensteen believed he had been fired on Friday night.

Remarkably Fulham seemed to think they can somehow persuade the former Manchester United coach to remain at the club and work alongside their new German manager.

Curbishley feels embarrassed and humiliated by chief executive Alistair Mackintosh after he was persuaded to take on the role of technical director in a Christmas Eve shake-up at the club.

The former Charlton and West Ham manager, a popular and highly-respected figure in the game, has been at Fulham for just over three months.

Despite his huge experience within the game, Magath believes they cannot work together as Fulham battle to escape relegation from the bottom of the Barclays Premier League.

Not looking good: Fulham assistant manager Ray Wilkins has been told to stay away from the training ground

Short spell: Alan Curbishley has left Fulham after being appointed in December

Arrival: Felix Magath arriving at Fulham's Motspur training ground for the first time

Hardline: Fulham's players are in for a rude awakening when Felix Magath takes charge of training, according to Bayern Munich chief Uli Hoeness

Introduction: Magath meets his players for the first time

Replaced: Fulham moved to replace Rene Meulensteen with Magath as they seek to climb away from the foot of the Premier League table

Wilkins has similar respect in the game, but he was ordered away from the Fulham training ground by Mackintosh and spent the day at home.

Behind the scenes Fulham were attempting to come to a compromise agreement after their disastrous handling of the situation developing at Craven Cottage.

The clumsy leadership structure at Fulham has also been highlighted after a series of rows involving coaching staff and players during their slump to the bottom of the Barclays Premier League.

Tensions were so high at the training ground and in the dressing room that it has threatened to spill over before Fulham took the dramatic decision to replace their Dutch head head coach.

Brede Hangeland and Rene Meulensteen were involved in spectacular row after the central defender was axed from the team who drew 2-2 at Manchester United.

Hangeland paid the price for a diabolical performance in the 1-0 defeat at home to Sheffield United in the FA Cup fourth round on February 4.

Well-versed: Lewis Holtby (right) is one of three players in the squad to have experienced Magath's methods

In trouble: Fulham are four points adrift of safety

Meulensteen decided to drop him for the trip to Old Trafford and replaced him with rookie centre half Dan Burn.
Hangeland was livid with the decision and although he was named as a substitute, he was involved in a heated confrontation with the club's head coach following the decision. Hangeland has claimed there was no disagreement.
Right-back Sascha Riether, who signed for the club permanently in the summer following a successful season long loan spell, was also involved in a training ground bust-up with midfielder Scott Parker in the head coach's final days in charge.
It's understood that a row between the pair escalated over a training ground tackle, but it did not result in a physical confrontation.
Despite the obvious problems on the field, Fulham's players liked Meulensteen and had respect for his attempts to change the culture of the club.

But that does not hide the fact that they are bottom of the Premier League and have just 12 games to avoid relegation to the SkyBet Championship.

They have not won in the Premier League since January 1, when they beat West Ham 2-1.

Fulham's next clash is with relegation threatened West Brom at the weekend and then head into the west London derby with Chelsea the following week.

However, there was one bright note of Fulham U21s' loss, as January signing Kostas Mitroglou completed his first ninety minutes for his new side.

New boy: Kostas Mitroglou completed his first ninety minutes in a Fulham shirt during Monday's defeat

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2561192/Ray-Wilkins-ordered-stay-away-Fulham-Felix-Magath-decides-future.html#ixzz2trDmRmrb
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Under-18's Sixth Round opponents confirmed

Huddersfield Town's Under-18s will play at Fulham in the Sixth Round of this season's FA Youth Cup.

Town's opponent in the next stage was confirmed on Wednesday evening, with the London side beating Manchester City 3-1 at Oldham's Boundary Park.

Fulham's Academy is category 1 under EPPP rules and their Under-18s, managed by former Portsmouth winger Steve Wigley, currently top the Barclays U18 Premier League South table with 43 points from 20 games. As well as Manchester City, they have defeated QPR and Tottenham Hotspur to reach this stage of the FA Youth Cup.

Town's Under-18s, who top the Under-18 Professional Development League 2 North table, have beaten Luton Town, West Bromwich Albion and Manchester United to reach the last eight of the competition.

The date for this fixture at Craven Cottage is still to be confirmed, but the match must be played before Saturday 8 March.

Read more at http://www.htafc.com/news/article/academy-news-fayc-6th-round-1370744.aspx?#ltSmmgjcRFclvpMt.99

WhiteJC

Magath Wants McGhee?

Could Mark McGhee be the next addition to Felix Magath's backroom staff at Fulham?

Report is the Express today have claimed that this is something that Magath is considering with him one of the options being explored to work alongside him as his assistant manager at Craven Cottage.

The pair know each other from McGhee's days as a player with Hamburg in Germany.

McGhee, who has a wealth of experience as a manager in his own rights both in England and Scotland, is current the assistant manager to Gordon Strachan for the Scottish national side but it's thought that he would be able to continue that role on a part time basis and still become Magath's no.2.

Perhaps this one does have more than speculation to it?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=350270#ixzz2trFpwcuB

WhiteJC

What A Change

It's been an interesting 18-months or so for Adel Taarabt hasn't it. He's gone from premier league relegation to champions league football playing for three different clubs in this period.

Former Fulham boss Martin Jol brought the temperamental talent to Craven Cottage last summer from QPR, with him unhappy playing championship football after their relegation from the premier league last season.

His time at Craven Cottage didn't exactly go as planned though and Jol was eventually sacked.

Taarabt probably isn't the type of talent that you can afford to have around when you are embroiled in a relegation battle, he's the flair player that is more of a luxury and AC Milan signed him from QPR on loan last month until the end of the season.

He's gone from premier league relegation, to another relegation battle to the champions league after making his champions league debut for Milan against Atletico Madrid last night. Taarabt, impressive enough by all accounts, wasn't able to prevent Milan from losing that game though.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=350269#ixzz2trG3lESR

WhiteJC

Chelsea Ticket Update

Tickets in the Putney End for the SW6 derby on Saturday 1st March (3pm) are now available to buy on General Sale.

Supporters can now buy one or two Putney End tickets each online at fulhamfc.com/tickets, while remaining tickets in home areas of the ground are still available for Season Ticket Holders and Members to buy (up to four each). These tickets are currently not available online, however can be purchased by calling 0843 208 1234.

Buy your tickets today to make sure you're at the Cottage to cheer on the Whites.
Chelsea Ticket Info
Upgrade to a Matchday Hospitality package

Make your day at the Cottage an extra special one by upgrading to a Matchday Hospitality package. Read more here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/20/chelsea-ticket-update?

WhiteJC

Are Fulham ready for Sergeant Major Magath?
BT Sport columnist Adrian Clarke fears Fulham's latest managerial move will not go down well in the changing room.

It's all well and good appointing a new manager with the aim of sparking a reaction, but can Fulham be sure they'll get the right one?

With the notorious Felix Magath busy flogging the players into submission on the training ground, I'm not wholly convinced.

Forget the bland diatribe that's bound to be trotted out publicly, those inside the inner sanctum of any football dressing room, always have a strong view one way or the other when a new gaffer comes in. And Fulham's will have plenty.

Players talk, players worry, players bitch. And let's face it, footballers have more spare time to do all those things than most of us.

So, the more they chat, and the more they listen to tales of the German's hardline, disciplinarian methods (not least from Lewis Holtby, Sascha Reither and Askan Dejagah who have all worked with him before), the more their hearts will sink.

Wouldn't yours?

I'm not sure that's quite the reaction owner Shahid Khan and chief executive Alistair Mackintosh are looking for.

Eight of his ten managerial posts have ended before he's taken charge of 100 games, and Bayern Munich's
president Uli Hoeness this week wasted no time in tearing the new Fulham manager's character to shreds.

Look, the man's a fire-fighter with an impressive CV. Magath's achievements in transforming the fortunes of struggling Nurnberg, Eintracht Frankfurt, Werder Bremen and Stuttgart - not to mention his title winning seasons with Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg - shouldn't be discounted.

But equally, nor should his reputation.

Eight of his ten managerial posts have ended before he's taken charge of 100 games, and Bayern Munich's president Uli Hoeness this week wasted no time in tearing the new Fulham manager's character to shreds. Labelling the 60-year-old as suspicious, controlling and widely disliked, he bemoaned a training regime and management style that pushed his players 'over the edge'. He even went as far as to say he was now virtually unemployable in his homeland.

Hoeness could of course be accused of having his own agenda, but those leaping to Magath's defence this week must have all been caught in traffic. He's clearly a Sergeant Major style fixer, with little interest in making friends.

And that, with just 12 games to save their skin, could be the problem.

As poorly as Fulham have performed this season, you sensed the players liked the laid-back, if a little quirky, Rene Meulensteen. So too his affable and respected back room staff, Ray Wilkins and Alan Curbishley. Recent improvements suggested the camp were united, and boosted by new arrivals and a draw at Old Trafford, no one was writing them off completely.

Now, with a new coaching team that speaks little English, running them ragged at Motspur Park and screaming for instant results, you have to wonder just how onside the squad will be. Seeing their three departed colleagues sacked in such ruthless fashion, will have upset and angered more than a few. Many will resent what's going on.

Khan and Mackintosh are banking on their players to be scared into life by their new head coach, and to be extra driven in their desperate quest to stay in the Premier League.

But I'll ask you this. How many of those players still fancy staying at Fulham long term?

Less this week than last, that's for sure.

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/englishfootball/barclayspremierleague/are-fulham-ready-for-sergeant-major-magath-S11363877196414?

callumc513

Innocent until proven guilty, I know, but if Hangeland really had a go at Meulensteen for dropping him then he needs to seriously sort himself out.

The guy has been useless for essentially 2 years and wasn't that great beforehand, and it was good to see René actually have some bottle and replace him with a superior defender (Heitinga).

WhiteJC

Throwback Thursday

Following the launch of our new Timeline, we'll be picking our favourite entries sent in by Fulham supporters. Today, we look at Simon Morgan's final appearance for the Club, as suggested by Ed Vanson and Simon Dixon.

One of Fulham's favourite sons, having stuck with the Club during some of the darkest moments in our recent history, Simon Morgan has pretty much seen it all in SW6.

He made his debut in a 2-1 defeat at Stoke City in October 1990, suffered relegation to the bottom tier in 1994, but captained the side to a second-placed finish three years later. He played 34 times as the Whites secured another promotion in 1999, and was a regular in the squad in 1999/00.

However, a serious knee injury meant he was unable to assist the team in the historic campaign under Jean Tigana as Fulham dazzled fans en route to securing the Division One title. It had been more than a year since he'd even been named in a squad when Tigana put him on the bench for a home match against Wolverhampton Wanderers in April 2001.

With the trophy already in the bag and Fulham leading 2-0 courtesy of a couple of Louis Saha penalties, Tigana made the call to replace Wayne Collins – who has been operating at right-back – with the Fulham favourite.

He saw just 13 minutes of action that evening but, in true Fulhamish style, was named Man of the Match. Cheers were heard every time Morgs touched the ball, while boos rang out if any other player, for Fulham or Wolves, got involved in the play.

"It was absolutely fantastic for me to get on and to be able to say I've been part of three promotion-winning teams," Morgan said after the game. "This team will go down in Fulham history and being part of it is something to tell the grandchildren, that's for sure.

"But that's down to the gaffer and it was a brilliant gesture for him to let me play after being injured all year. The way the team have been playing, they've been fantastic all season. Everyone who has pulled the white shirt on has been brilliant and it has been easy to watch. It gave me more incentive to get fit."

Although the reason for his fleeting appearance was more sentimental than tactical, the ever-professional Morgan still ran out onto the Craven Cottage turf keen to put in a reliable shift – something he managed as Fulham comfortably saw the game out to win 2-0.

"I was aware of the reception I was going to get but I was just focused because I couldn't let these boys down," he explained. "They have been so good all season and have a very proud defensive record. They wanted to keep a clean sheet."

In Morgan's lowest moment at the Club, Fulham were sitting 91st in the Football League, yet his final outing was in a side destined for Premiership football; a fitting end for someone who sits 15th – sandwiched between Alan Mullery and Gerry Peyton – in our all-time record appearances list.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/20/throwback-thursday?

hovewhite