watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (26/05/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 26, 2010, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/pfa/pfa-in-the-community-news/fulhams-stars-join-downs-syndrome-tennis-showcase-
Fulham's stars join Down's Syndrome tennis showcase event
Nicky Shorey and Stefano Okaka back the Places for Players initiative

Fulham FC players Nicky Shorey and Stefano Okaka surprised members of the Fulham FC Foundation's Down's Syndrome Tennis team recently by joining them, along with Anne Keothavong, British Women's number 3, whilst they trained at the National Tennis Centre (NTC) in Roehampton, Surrey.

The players, taking part in the Premier League Places for Players initiative, took time out from their evening to assist Fulham FC Foundation and Tennis Foundation staff in coaching the training session.

The Down's Syndrome Tennis project, the first of its kind nationally, began in January of this year, following the success of Fulham FC Foundation's Down's Syndrome Football team – the Fulham Badgers – which was set up in 2006 with the help of the DSA (Down's Syndrome Association).

Each Tennis session runs from 6.30pm – 7.30pm on a Tuesday evening and is open to anyone with Down's syndrome that is between the age of 10 and 25. The scheme encourages any siblings that come to the NTC as spectators to join in the activity too.

Formed as part of the 'Positive Minds' project run by the Fulham FC Foundation, the scheme works in partnership with the Tennis Foundation and forms a vital element in the DSA's DSActive campaign to encourage those with Down's syndrome to become more involved in sport.

Initially piloted within a 7-mile radius of Raynes Park, the scheme soon acquired a selection of participants with the disability that had not been involved in the previous football sessions.

Having moved to the National Tennis Centre in Roehampton in April 2010, the weekly programme now enables those involved access to some of the most sought after tennis amenities in England.

Claire Lavers, Director of Disability Tennis at the Tennis Foundation said: "This co-ordinated approach to delivering tennis to the local Down's syndrome community continues The Tennis Foundation's efforts to discover and encourage more players with learning disabilities to take up tennis.

"Our motto is 'One Game All'; tennis should be accessible to and be able to be enjoyed by everyone and we very much look forward to giving the players a warm welcome at the National Tennis Centre. We are in discussion with Fulham FC Foundation to identify more partnership initiatives and would like to encourage similar activities more widely with football."

The Fulham FC Foundation and the Tennis Foundation each supply a coach for the sessions, enforcing the partnership between the two charities, as well as providing the best tutoring possible for the participants involved.

Steven Day, Chief Executive Officer of the Fulham FC Foundation commented: "The great work being produced in partnership with the Tennis Foundation shows the diversity of our charity and enforces our motto of 'building better lives through sport'.

"It's fantastic for us to see that having already produced a successful Down's syndrome football team – the Fulham Badgers – that we can also encourage participation in a different sport that normally wouldn't be linked to Fulham."

The Down's Syndrome Association's vast network throughout the Down's syndrome and greater learning disability communities, combined with their great links with the Fulham FC Foundation, have ensured that knowledge of the local courses are a priority and thus far have been a great success.

Paul Zanon, Business Development Director at the Down's Syndrome Association is delighted at the involvement people with the disability have in getting access to sports coaching.

"In 2006 the Fulham FC Foundation (FFCF) partnered with the DSA to create the first football team of the DSActive programme. By 2008 news of this successful partnership was spreading fast and a host of other teams soon expressed their interest to want to participate, including QPR, Charlton and West Ham.

"Once again, FFCF in partnership with the Tennis Foundation, have taken the pioneering role and are breaking the mould by launching tennis for people with Down's syndrome. As with the football, the DSA is expecting to see incredible benefits by way of physical, social and emotional health improvements, not to mention having lots of fun during the training process!"

Steven Day concluded: "It's valuable for us to know that we can work effectively with groups (like the DSA and the Tennis Foundation) to create successful projects in the local community, that appeal to an audience not usually at the forefront of sporting initiatives.

"We hope that the popularity of this course will be transferable to a new basketball initiative with the Kingston Wildcats that we will look to unveil later this year."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/05/26/chris-smalling-hails-roy-hodgson-after-manchester-united-move-82029-26525384/
Chris Smalling hails Roy Hodgson after Manchester United move

CHRIS Smalling paid tribute to boss Roy Hodgson after completing his move to Manchester United.

The England U21 international makes the switch to Old Trafford this summer, just two years after joining Fulham from non-league minnow Maidstone.

And he admits Hodgson has played a major part in his £10million move to the North West.

He said: "The gaffer's been instrumental in my development.

"Ever since the first day I walked through the door he was there commenting on my game. He's been a great person to look up to.

"These two years have gone so fast. I've got to know the lads and built a bond with them, so it's sad to be leaving."

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/germans-and-gunners-go-to-schwar-1064992.html?
Germans and Gunners go to Schwar

Wolfsburg have joined Arsenal in the growing list of clubs interested in Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer.
The former Bundesliga champions have been told to get the 37-year-old Australian by new boss Steve McClaren, who worked with Schwarzer at Middlesbrough when they won the Carling Cup and reached the UEFA Cup final.

Wolfsburg know all about the Fulham keeper, who speaks fluent German, from the Europa League semi-final when he made a couple of key saves in the first half of the second leg.

Arsenal have also been linked to Schwarzer and reports yesterday claimed Arsene Wenger had him scouted in Fulham's final two matches of the season - although he knows all about him from almost ten years of watching him in the Premier League.

All the rumours are good for Schwarzer's new deal talks, with the ex-Bradford City star out of contract in 12 months.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6173467/Duff-desperate-for-Roy-to-stay-at-Cottage?
Duff desperate for Roy to stay at Cottage

Damien Duff is hoping Fulham can head off interest in Roy Hodgson this summer amid reports Inter Milan could target him as their next manager.

Hodgson has found himself at the centre of speculation that suitors could be beating a path to his door after he guided the Londoners to the Europa League final, where they lost narrowly to a Diego Forlan-inspired Atletico Madrid.

Republic of Ireland international Duff, who had previously worked under the Englishman as a young player at Blackburn, is desperate for Hodgson to remain at Craven Cottage.

He said: "He's done a great job there so far and I still think there's an awful lot more to do.

"I would say the thinks he's got unfinished business there and I think we can go from strength to strength, so hopefully he will stay. I think he will.

"I started off in the first team 12, 13 years ago with him, so I have always thought the world of him.

"It's great working with him and anyone who has worked with him, he is a top coach, they will tell you.

"He's great, and you can see what he has done with the team this season."

Hodgson's achievements have rightly won him plaudits across the board, and Duff believes that is nothing more than he deserves.

He said: "A million per cent. He's a top coach, as you can see by his CV, the teams he has managed.

"He has managed Inter Milan twice, so you needn't say anymore."

WhiteJC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/26/2910323.htm?site=sport&section=football
Arsenal reportedly closing in on Schwarzer

Socceroos goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer could be set for a shock move to English Premier League giant Arsenal, according to mounting speculation in the English press.

London's Daily Mirror has reported Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is very keen to bring the Fulham shot stopper to the club after losing faith with Manuel Almunia in the late stages of last season.

The newspaper said the 37-year-old had moved to the top of Arsenal's hit list with Wenger put off by high prices for his other goalkeeping targets - AZ Alkmaar's Sergio Romero and Shakhtar Donetsk goalkeeper Andriy Pyatov.

Schwarzer, who boarded a plane for South Africa with his Australian team-mates on Wednesday, has been in career-best form for Fulham this season.

His performances helped guide them to the Europa League final and a credible 12th in the Premier League, and along the way he became the first Australian to win a league player-of-the-month award.

He has another year on his contract at Craven Cottage, but Wenger reportedly feels he could sign Schwarzer for a good price because of his age.

Separate reports earlier this month said the Frenchman scouted Schwarzer during Fulham's final two home games of the season.

The former Middlesbrough goalkeeper said last month he felt as if he could play on into his 40s.

And he admits he had no thoughts of retirement as he approached his 38th birthday in October.

"I want to keep going as long as I can," he said.

"As long as I'm enjoying it, and able to play at this level, why not?"

It has been reported Wenger could have a transfer fund of 40 million pounds ($A69.6 million) for the upcoming season - more if midfielder Cesc Fabregas is sold.