more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (23/02/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 22, 2014, 07:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

New Signing Leaving?

Fulham only signed Ryan Tunnicliffe in the last moments of the January transfer window, but already there is talk of the youngster leaving.

The 21 year-old, signed from Manchester United, had previously been out on loan at Ipswich Town before leaving Old Trafford and there is talk that the Portman Road outfit would like him to add to the 29 appearances he`s already made for them this season.

With Felix Magath talking about reducing his squad numbers, could Mick McCarthy, over at Portman Road, get his wish?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=350512#ixzz2u55dauHy

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Former Fulham star doubts Magath can save club from relegation

The former Bayern Munich boss takes charge of the rock bottom Cottagers for the first time today as they travel to the Hawthorns in what has been billed as a relegation six-pointer.

And Peschisolido, who enjoyed spells with both clubs, says the west London side must win or they will be all but relegated.

"This year they've struggled. It's been a shambles. They can't get a win, they've changed managers, they sacked one, they've not quite sacked one, it really stinks of a shambles. I do fear for them," he told the Weekend Sports Breakfast.

Magath is renowned for his rigorous training methods and Peschisolido believes Fulham's chances of staying up will hinge on how the players take to their new boss.

"My fear for him is you get these players against you right from day one and there's only way they're going to go. It's just for me how he sells it. Does he sell it well to the players? If not they're heading for relegation.

"If Fulham don't win today then I think they're done for. I fear for Fulham. West Brom, I think, will still have enough to stay in the division."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-former-fulham-star-doubts-magath-can-save-club-relegation-14022280867#lKy7RRh7XX6WFJjO.99

WhiteJC

West Brom 1-1 Fulham: Felix Magath 'satisfied' with draw on debut

Fulham manager Felix Magath says he is "satisfied" with his first result in charge of the club, as they draw 1-1 away against West Brom.

Ashkan Dejagah gave the visitors a first-half lead, but a late equaliser from Matej Vydra denied the Cottagers the win.

Despite the point Fulham remain bottom of the Premier League table, four points away from safety.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26306265

WhiteJC

West Bromwich Albion's Matej Vydra denies Felix Magath's Fulham a win

West Brom 1 Fulham 1

Fulham's Ashkan Dejagah scores the first goal against West Bromwich Albion in the
Premier League at the Hawthorns. Photograph: Clint Hughes/Getty Images

Felix Magath, notwithstanding a reputation as the harshest taskmaster in European football, refused to attach any blame to Maarten Stekelenburg after the latest new Fulham manager's perfect start in English football was spoiled by his goalkeeper's failure to keep out Matej Vydra's late equaliser.

Instead, the first German to manage in the Barclays Premier League expressed an increased conviction that he can steer Fulham to safety and so enhance the other aspect of his reputation in his homeland as the master of the great escape.

Fulham, leading through Ashkan Dejagah's rare goal, looked on course for their first win since New Year's Day until Stekelenburg got only one hand to Vydra's shot on the turn, following Victor Anichebe's cross after a second-half assault that merited West Bromwich Albion their point, and turned to see it roll over the line before he could scoop the ball away.

So Fulham remain bottom of the table after their latest managerial change, but Magath has seen enough to convince him that they will avoid relegation. "I was sure before the game that we would stay up," he said, "and I'm sure after the game. We were close to winning the game and the next game we will win."

Magath was unabashed when he was reminded that Chelsea are the visitors to Craven Cottage next week. Then again, he took no umbrage when it was suggested that a German would have appreciated goalline technology being introduced before now; but any reference to the 1966 World Cup final appeared to be lost in translation. "I have always wondered why everyone does not have goalline technology," he said. "I think it would have been terrible if the referee does not see the ball was over the line."

Magath, rather than dispatching Stekelenburg on any medicine-ball runs through the countryside today, absolved his Dutch goalkeeper of any responsibility for the late equaliser. "He was [playing] very well," he said. "The shot was only from a few metres out. It can happen. I don't see the goalkeeper is at fault."

Indeed, Pepe Mel, the West Brom manager still seeking his first win in English football after six matches, made Stekelenburg his man of the match, and the saves made from Thievy Bifouma on a breakaway in the first half, and from Chris Brunt in added time, offered credence to such a verdict.

For the fourth consecutive home game, West Brom have come from behind to salvage a point, as belatedly they found their rhythm. The home team dominated the second half, thanks to Brunt's promptings from a deeper central midfield role, Victor Anichebe's greater muscle as the attacking fulcrum and Morgan Amalfitano's excellent service from right-back.

The West Brom head coach admits he is at a loss to explain why his players, who stay a point above the relegation zone despite a run of one win in 18 games, are capable of such barnstorming second halves after looking so lacklustre in opening periods.

Yet again at The Hawthorns they have rallied from behind to stay unbeaten against Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea and now Fulham. "We should have more points but in the first half, my team is too open," he said. "At half-time I spoke with my players and we went from having two strikers to 4-3-3 and it was better for us. All the pitches are no good at the moment and the short pass is a problem.

"All the games here have been the same. Everton? Good second half, after we changed things. Liverpool, Chelsea, the same, and today. For me, the best player on the pitch is the Fulham goalkeeper."

Lewis Holtby was the creative catalyst for Fulham who looked set to continue the good form they had shown in drawing with Manchester United and losing narrowly to Liverpool in what turned out to be the end of René Meulensteen's short reign.

With Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell restored together in the midfield engine room, Holtby shot just wide after playing a one-two with the recalled Hugo Rodallega and Fulham went ahead through another player to have served under Magath before.

Dejagah, formerly at Wolfsburg, was the beneficiary of Albion's openness when Kieran Richardson broke away down the left wing and crossed to where Holtby and Rodallega both missed the ball only for the Iranian still to have the time and space to control and shoot beyond – and, it has to be said, under – Ben Foster. But the England player's misjudgement was not the worst goalkeeping mistake of the day.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/22/west-bromwich-albion-fulham-premier-league-match-report?

WhiteJC

Is a Point Good?

Following the epic encounter with West Brom, an encounter that saw us robbed of all three points by a late equalizer from our hosts, Felix Magath had this to say about our performance.

'We were so near to a victory, we are disappointed but in the whole game, 1-1 was correct. It was a fair result."

'We have had only a few days together. You cannot change many things."

'I crossed the fingers but that is not enough. We have to play 90 minutes and try to make no faults. We made too many faults in the second half."

'We lost the ball too early and came under pressure. If you get under pressure, one mistake will cost you a goal."

'We were away and I think it was not very good but a point is good.'

Unfortunately the result still sees us stuck at the foot of the Premier League.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=350570#ixzz2u57Vjk4f

WhiteJC

Is Magath doomed to fail at Fulham?

Felix Magath had his first game in charge for Fulham on Saturday, which ended in a 1-1 draw with West Brom.

Magath is Fulham's third manager this season as the London club try desperately to avoid relegation.

Changing management is hardly uncommon when clubs, such as Fulham, are faced with the threat of dropping to the Championship.

Four other clubs in the Premier League have already changed their manager this season. But a third manager in four months shows signs of panic from the London club. An according to one writer this tactic is doomed to fail.

Writing for The Guardian, James Riach argues that statistically, changes in management rarely have the desired effect.

According to Riach, clubs opting for a change in management end up relegated despite their efforts. So, with eleven fixtures left to play, Magath might have, arguably, been set up to fail at Fulham.

Riach claims that when a managerial change occurs the club claims an average of 2.5 points in their following fixture.

For any club in a relegation battle the prospect of three points is incredibly mouth watering. Clubs at the bottom of the table are generally starved for points. So the prospect of an extra three points are incredibly crucial. Sadly Magath couldn't quite do that.

In this regard Fulham is no different. In their last seven outings Fulham have only been able to take five points. Luckily for them competition isn't too far behind.

Five points separated the bottom six clubs before today's fixtures. Three points would have narrowed that gap even more and bring Fulham to the cusp of survival. And with 10 games remaining in the season Magath has time to change Fulham's season around.

According to Riach a new manager has a 12 match 'honeymoon' period before their club returns to their previous form or worse. So if that is to be believed its incredibly plausible that Fulham, with those 10 remaining fixtures, and their new manager may survive the drop.

http://www.givemesport.com/434292-is-magath-doomed-to-fail-at-fulham?autoplay=on

WhiteJC

The View From South Texas — WBA v. Fulham FC

by HatterDon

Another Saturday, Another Disappointment

Today was Match Day One of the Felix Magath Era at Fulham FC, and it was a mixed introduction for the enigmatic German. Fulham played their traditional game of two halves, dominating a dispirited Albion in the first 45 and falling back into a shell in the second. Ashkan Dejagah had a very good match which was highlighted by a well taken goal. The shame of it was, of course, that it could very well have been our third of the first half, and the second 45 could have been a stroll. Instead, the second half was a slog, and when Matej Vydra's shot slithered under Stekelenberg's body for the equalizer in the 86th, it was completely with the run of play. Neither team had the class to get the deciding goal, so West Brom remain four points and about +30 goal difference above Fulham.

Now that all that is out of the way, let's talk about Magath's Fulham. The first thing I noticed was that our fullbacks – Riether and Amorebieta – are staying at home and defending. The work along the wings under this manager appear to be the job of ... say it quietly ... wingers. Richardson and Dejagah took control of the wide attack and Hugo Rodallega was alone up front. With the back four ACTUALLY a back four, Felix called upon Fulham's English central mid pair with Holtby filling the 5th midfield slot. Heitinga partnered the recalled Hangeland and Fulham looked solid in defense for the whole 90 minutes. Back from his literal black eye against Liverpool, Stekelenberg was solid in the goal and delivered a few top quality saves. He came off his line on two occasions to relieve the pressure on our defense. The equalizer aside, this might have been his best performance in a Fulham shirt, and for 85 minutes, he was my man of the match. JA Riise, who came on early in the second for Amorebieta upgraded the defense.

Fulham's midfield linked well, and Holtby, Richardson, and Dejagah spread out the Albion defense and opened several holes. Heitinga could have opened the scoring with a header over the bar from a corner, and Sidwell missed the sort of chance he's been putting away all season. When the goal came, it arose from a good surge up the left wing by Richardson. His cross was comically whiffed by both Hugo and an already-fading Holtby. Luckily it rolled to Dejagah who put it away calmly.

When Fulham forced a corner in the first 30 seconds of the second half, it looked like the Whites might get the early goal that could bury the Baggies. It was not to be. Despite incoherent attacks by Albion that were easily rebuffed, Fulham didn't seem to be able to keep the ball on the deck and work it to Rodallega, Richardson, or Dejagah. When the expected substitution of Mitroglou for Rodallega occurred – more on the debut Greek later – some of the sting went out of Fulham's counter attacking threat. The NEXT Fulham substitution was a puzzler.

While most in the FulhamUSA.com chatroom were expecting Burn to come on for Hangeland – who was having a very good game – instead he came on for Richardson. For my money, that one substitution took Fulham out of contention for scoring again. Riether was moved to central midfield. Now, if Magath wasn't going to take off Hangeland, the obvious choice was to move Heitinga to midfield. The Dutchman has played that position as much as he has center back, but that option wasn't available since Heitinga had his hands full with Victor Anichebe, and was containing him very well. So, with one subsitution, Fulham weakened its attack, midfield and defense. It was a complete headscratcher.With Holtby a shadow of what we've seen earlier, it was just a question of hold on and hope for a clean sheet. Unfortunately, Fulham were unable to keep possesion and an equalizer was inevitable.

If Albion weren't such an abysmally poor side, they'd have handled us easily. Still we looked organized in defense and played well overall. I do believe that Felix will get the best out of the squad, but I think he's here much too late to keep us up. The fact that I'm so wrong about so many thing so much of the time does give me a little hope.

And now about our record signing. Setting aside the question of why we spent so much money on a guy who not only was not match fit but was carrying an injury in the first place, let's talk about what we saw out there today. Yes, I know it was his first match, but Kostas Mitroglou:
can't run
can't jump
can't hold and distribute
can't keep possession
looks petulant
looks lost, BUT
has a devilish beard
The man is NOT an upgrade on Bent. Now he will get more fit and he will look more at home, but he gave no evidence of moving or thinking quickly enough to make a difference for us.

Given Stek's fumble dropping us two points, I can't give him the virtual bottle of Dos Equiis his earlier play so richly deserved. Instead,HatterDon's Man of the Match is Johnny Heitinga, who played brilliantly today. His blanketing of Anichebe was good to watch. I think he has earned the "CB partner" position.

Next up? Our neighbors. Oh joy! If Holtby shakes off his logy, and Dejagah, Richardson, and Heitinga maintain their form, nice things could happen, but I don't see The Undead's back four and GK being the slightest bit concerned by Rodallega, Bent, or Mitroglou. Perhaps it's time for the resurrection of Kasami? Stay tuned.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=479

WhiteJC

Forget changing managers! Fulham must change their whole mentality

Felix Magath has his work cut out if he is to steer Fulham away from the drop zone (Picture: AP Photo)
No matter what you do, no matter how hard you push and prod them, you cannot change a group of players in merely a week.

As it is, this is a demoralised bunch, wounded as they are from a year of much disappointment and failure. Short on confidence with wavering morale, this is a football club teetering on the edge of a daunting precipice, and each and every individual knows it.

And you can see that in our game. We can play football – we have the talent to do so – and for 45 minutes against West Bromwich Albion, we did just that.

But, as though it has now become second nature to this side, we simply stopped fighting. We welcomed pressure onto our goal in a way far more fitting for the likes of Chelsea or Liverpool. We were happy to concede possession, as though our lead was actually unassailable as opposed to a measly one goal.

All of that – this willingness to accept inferiority, the idea that protecting a one goal lead for half a match has more potential for success than applying your very own pressure – comes down to mentality.

It's unlikely Felix Magath stood up at half time and explicitly said, 'let them play.' Yet, that's what happened. And that isn't the German's fault.

Fulham's Brede Hangeland contests the ball with West Brom's Victor Anichebe (Picture: AP Photo)
Would we have been more adventurous under Rene Meulensteen? Perhaps. Would there have been more goals? It's possible. But would we have won? Probably not, because that lack of self-belief transcends managerial upheaval.

Magath will work on that and he could be successful, but it will take time – a commodity that is most definitely running short.

His decisions today weren't hugely popular, particularly dropping William Kvist and Dan Burn to the bench. Both have been in superb form and didn't deserve a demotion.

For all of the despair to come out of today's game, though, hope is still prevalent, even if it's beginning to diminish.

This result was better for us than it was for our opponents, who are not in a dissimilar position to ours. We are bottom of the league and we are away from home, so, from a pragmatic perspective, a point is not the end of the world.

Unfortunately, that mentality will not carry us through the rest of the season, however. Hopefully, the players will begin to realise as much.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/22/forget-changing-managers-fulham-must-change-their-whole-mentality-4314280/?

WhiteJC

Manager Reaction

Felix Magath insists that he saw enough from Fulham on Saturday to reaffirm his belief that relegation can still be avoided.

The Whites had looked set to secure a massive victory at The Hawthorns, but a late Matej Vydra strike secured West Bromwich Albion a point.

It was Fulham who had enjoyed the better of the opening 45 minutes, whereas our hosts dominated the second half, and Magath stated that he was 'satisfied' by what he saw during his first match in charge.

"Today was a good game," he said. "It was a typical game from two teams playing against relegation. There was a lot of fight and that is what I want my team to do. I was very satisfied, especially in the first half. In the second half we made too many mistakes and it means we have to go home with only one point.

"The team were close together, we fought very well. We looked like a team but there is not enough confidence to make the game open over 90 minutes. We started very well and we had chances, the same as West Brom, but the more time that passed we went back [dropped deep] like the last games.

"We were away and West Brom are fighting against relegation too and at home they have to go with more risk. They put all the offensive players in the side and I think it's normal if the home team have more possession and more attacks."

The draw leaves Fulham rooted to the foot of the Barclays Premier League table, but when asked if there were enough encouraging signs to take from the match, Magath maintained: "Yeah, sure. I'm satisfied with our game today. Sure I would prefer to win but I think we did quite well. We have to work step by step and go further but, for these first days, I'm satisfied.

"I was sure before the game [that Fulham would stay up] and I'm sure after the game. We were close to a win."

It looked as though Maarten Stekelenburg had managed to keep out Vydra's effort in the 86th minute but the ball just squirmed under the Dutchman's body and over the line. After a fine display between the sticks, our goalkeeper will no doubt be frustrated by the manner of the equaliser, but Magath refused to place blame.

"He played very well," he said of Stekelenburg. "It was a shot from only a few metres but such things can happen. I don't see it as the keeper making a fault – I don't blame him."

The Whites had taken the lead through Ashkan Dejagah's crisp finish in the 28th minute after the winger was recalled to the starting line-up. He was part of Magath's Wolfsburg side who secured the Bundesliga title in 2009, and so the Fulham Manager knows what he is capable of.

"I know him very well so I trust him," he said. "I know what he can do so I was not surprised at his goal today. It was good for him. He is a very good player, he can score and he can make very good crosses."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/22/manager-reaction?

WhiteJC

New Fulham boss Felix Magath satisfied with point despite conceding late equaliser in West Brom draw

The Cottagers took a first-half lead thanks to Ashkan Dejagah but couldn't see off their hosts who claimed an equaliser with just four minutes remaining

PA
Opener: Dejagah gave Fulham the lead at the Hawthorns but they couldn't claim three points

Felix Magath says that he believes his side's 1-1 draw with West Brom was a fair result - despite them being just four minutes from victory.

Ashkan Dejagah gave the Cottagers the lead during an opening period which was throughly dominated by the west London club.

However, an inability to see off their hosts, coupled with Matej Vydra's late equaliser, meant Magath had to settle for a share of the spoils on his first Premier League outing.

The former Bayern Munich coach told Sky Sports: "I think it was a fair result because West Bromwich had more possession from the game and with the ball.

"But we had good defence and we tried sometimes to score and one time we were lucky but we needed one more.

"We had ball possession and we went forward [in the first half] and it was very good.

"In the second half, always playing away, you get under pressure, and we did fine until the last minutes."

At the other end of the scale, West Brom boss Pepe Mel was disappointed to have to settle for a point - and is eyeing all three in their next encounter: against Manchester United.

"One point is one point but I think today we were too open in the first half and the second half was good. We needed two points more," said the Spaniard.

"We need to win for our mentality. The players need to win.

"I believe in the next match against Manchester United we can win. There is a nervousness in the changing room."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/west-brom-1-1-fulham-felix-3174530#ixzz2u59dR0Kb
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey needs to be on next plane back to Seattle

Another match has come and gone at Fulham, another one with big Premier League implications ... and yet another one with no sight of Clint Dempsey.

Yet again, the struggling U.S. international did not make the 18-man game-day roster for, this time for a new manager as debuting boss Felix Magath. That's three in a row with Dempsey nowhere to be seen.

Magath is well within his right to do what he thinks best for Fulham; the Cottagers, a small-budget club that has worked virtual miracles by remaining in the land's highest division year after year lately, has big work ahead to remain so once again. There is no room for error – nor for worrying about any one player's personal plight.

But here's the deal as it relates to Dempsey:

We discovered recently that his loan agreement between Fulham, MLS and the Seattle Sounders allows the U.S. attacker to remain in London through the first day of March; Fulham hosts Chelsea in a West London derby a week from today, so he would presumably be available.

It's a huge match for the clubs who share the fashionable, tony West London neighborhood; their grounds are separated by about a 20-minute walk – and a nice 20-minute walk, at that.

But never mind that; Dempsey should be on the next plane out of Heathrow.

It's no longer time to worry about whether this loan has "worked" or "hasn't worked" or whatever for Dempsey. Far more important, and the bottom line here: He's a peripheral figure at very best around Craven Cottage and, at this point, Dempsey will be no key figure in whether Fulham survives to relegation beast.

It's time for him to fulfil his much larger club obligation the one to Seattle.

He's still the league's second-highest paid player, and easily the top dog, wage-wise, around Century Link Field. That should count for a lot in the calculus here.

Calling it a day around Craven Cottage and getting back here isn't just about the practical element that is all too clear: he'd be doing pretty much the same thing in London or in the States, training rather than playing (which is why Dempsey went abroad for the two-month spell, for the chance to play in high-level matches).

It's also about reminding his Sounders teammates that Seattle – and a big year around the ground, especially for embattled manager Sigi Schmid – is his top priority in terms of club pursuits.

Let's not forget, Dempsey will miss a bunch of time in May and June, at least six weeks, while on World Cup duty.

It's too bad this loan spell didn't work out as everyone would have liked ... it's time to tie this one off and get back into the team that is paying him so handsomely to be a main-man mainstay.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/22/clint-dempsey-needs-to-be-on-next-plane-back-to-seattle/?