more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (25/02/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 25, 2014, 08:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Vale wait on Grimmer injury news

The Valiants are waiting on news of the extent of Jack Grimmer's injury after the loanee was stretchered off during the 3-1 defeat to Crewe.

Grimmer has been impressive since joining on loan from Fulham but he could be set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Manager Micky Adams commented: "We don't think it is knee ligaments, it is probably his thigh. But it is too early to talk about that."

If Grimmer is ruled out of action, Vale have a number of options at the back. Carl Dickinson could move into the centre to partner Joe Davis. That would allow Dan Jones to move to the left-back position.

However, Vale also have Richard Duffy and Liam Chilvers available again after they recovered from injuries while out-of-favour Chris Robertson is another option.

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/site/vale-wait-on-grimmer-injury-news/?

WhiteJC

Villa Away On Sale To STHs

Heavily subsided tickets for Fulham's away game at Aston Villa on Saturday 5th April are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders.

The Whites want as many away fans to back the boys at Villa Park and to make it as convenient and affordable for Fulham supporters as possible, the Club are offering £10 tickets – a £29 saving on the regular price – for the crucial clash. This includes your match ticket and coach travel to the game. Concessions (over-65s, under-21s, students, armed forces) can attend the game for £8, while under-16s' tickets are priced at just £5.

Please be aware, though, that coach places are strictly based on a first come, first served basis, and bookings must be made when the match ticket is purchased. Additionally, as with all away matches this season, Junior Season Ticket Holders and Members can attend for free, provided their ticket is bought in conjunction with an adult ticket.

There are alternative travel arrangements to get to Villa Park. Train tickets from London Euston to Birmingham New Street can be purchased from thetrainline.com for as little £6 each way if bought far enough in advance. Witton (Villa Park's nearest train station) is then just a 10-minute connection away.

Fans preferring to get a coach from London Victoria can travel with Megabus for approximately £9 for the round-trip, while National Express can offer shorter travel times but for around double the price.

Tickets for the clash are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders and will be available for Members to purchase on Thursday. Any remaining tickets will go on General Sale on Tuesday 4th March.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/24/villa-away-on-sale-to-sths?

WhiteJC

Cardiff On Sale

Tickets for our visit to the Cardiff City Stadium are now on General Sale, with supporters able to buy up to four tickets each.

Make sure you're in the Welsh capital to cheer on the team in their crucial clash against the Bluebirds, with tickets priced at £30 for adults and £15 for over-60s and under-21s.

The Club will cover the cost of tickets for our Junior Season Ticket Holders and Members* and we're again running free coach travel for all attendees from either Craven Cottage or Motspur Park.

Buy your tickets online or by calling 0843 208 1234.

*Must be purchased alongside an adult ticket. These are not available online and can only be claimed by calling 0843 208 1234.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/24/cardiff-on-sale?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Alan Curbishley disappointed but accepts Fulham axe

Alan Curbishley: Disappointed to leave his role with Fulham

Alan Curbishley admitted he was 'disappointed' to leave his advisory role at Fulham but said he respected new manager Felix Magath's decision to make changes at Craven Cottage.

Curbishley lost his job as technical director, along with assistant head coach Ray Wilkins, following the dismissal of manager Rene Meulensteen 10 days ago.

Meulensteen was replaced by the experienced Magath, who decided to appoint his own back room staff at the west London club.

Speaking on Sky Sports News on Monday morning, Curbishley said: "There was a change of manager who decided he wanted to bring his own staff in.

"That's always a consequence of managerial changes. I understood it, I respected it but I was a little bit disappointed because - when I went into Fulham - the role I had was something the club needed.

"Rene had never been a manager before and I was there to advise and offer my opinion on things, as was Ray.

"There are some inexperienced managers in the Premier League such as Tim Sherwood at Tottenham and Garry Monk at Swansea, so there is a role for ex-managers to be mentors.

"But unfortunately it only lasted seven weeks.

"The owner decided after the Liverpool game he was going to make a change.

"Rene will be disappointed, as it was his first stab at management, because the two games previously against Manchester United - where we drew - and against Liverpool, when we led twice, we felt the tide was turning a little bit."

Fulham remain at the bottom of the Premier League table - five points from safety - following their 1-1 draw at The Hawthorns on Saturday when West Brom needed an 87th-minute equaliser to salvage a point in Magath's first game in charge.

Speaking about Magath's main concerns at his new club, Curbishley added: "The glaring thing is the amount of goals Fulham have been conceding.

"If you look at the clubs who have dragged themselves out of the relegation zone this season - Crystal Palace and West Ham - that's been done on clean sheets.

"And they will always give you a chance of getting something from games.

"Against West Brom they got their noses in front but just couldn't get across the line.

"They made a decent start and it's always important to get ahead. They've gone one behind on about 19 occasions this season and history tells you in the Premier League that if you fall behind you don't get back that often."

As for the man himself, Curbishley said of Magath: "He was a fantastic player, top class, been there, done that and won most things.

"He did the double with Bayern Munich and is full of confidence and believes he has the tools to make Fulham survive."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9182609/?

WhiteJC

Ashkan: We're Up For The Fight

Ashkan Dejagah has called on Fulham to show their fighting spirit when the Whites host Chelsea on Saturday (3pm).

Dejagah was on target as Fulham drew 1-1 at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday, opening the scoring with a drilled effort from just inside the box for his second league goal of the season and third in all competitions.

But the Baggies levelled just four minutes from the end to ensure the spoils were shared in Fulham's first game under new boss Felix Magath.

"It was a good finish," Dejagah told the official website. "The ball came to me and I was happy to score. I also scored against Tottenham Hotspur but, like that game, we couldn't hold on for the win.

"I thought we played well in the first half and for the first 10 or 15 minutes of the second. But West Brom then started to push forward. They have strong players, strong strikers, so it's not easy to defend against them. I thought with a bit of luck we could hold on for the win but it wasn't to be. Now we have to focus on the next game against Chelsea, which will be tough. We have to work hard all week to be ready."

The Whites take on their SW6 rivals at Craven Cottage with both sides desperate for the points for very different reasons. Chelsea are pushing for a first league title since the 2009/10 season, while the Whites know a victory would give their survival hopes a huge boost.

"We'll need a big performance from everyone," said Dejagah. "It's a huge game for the players and the fans. Chelsea have a great team this year and need the points as well. We'll have to fight for the points and we will see."

The clash with Jose Mourinho's men sees Magath take charge of his first home game since his arrival as Fulham boss. The German is a manager Dejagah already knew well prior to his arrival at the Cottage having played under him as VfL Wolfsburg won the Bundesliga for the only time in their history in 2008/09.

"I've known him for a long time," stated Dejagah. "It was a good week in training before West Brom, all the sessions were good. We need to do the same this week and we'll see what happens against Chelsea."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/24/ashkan-ready-to-battle?

WhiteJC

Tanković's Reward

Muamer Tanković's fine form has been rewarded with his first call-up to the Sweden senior national squad.

The 19-year-old has impressed since making his Fulham debut in the 3-0 defeat over Norwich City in mid-January and has gone on to make six appearances for the Whites. Sweden Head Coach Erik Hamrén has been watching the player closely, and the Academy graduate will join teammate Alexander Kačaniklić in the squad for next month's friendly against Turkey in Ankara.

Elsewhere our new Danish midfielder, William Kvist, has been handed a place in Denmark's squad as they take on Roy Hodgson's England at Wembley. Fellow Fulham January transfer window arrival, Kostas Mitroglou, has been named in Greece's provisional squad alongside Giorgos Karagounis as the 2004 European Championship winners host Korea Republic in Piraeus.

Fulham Captain Brede Hangeland could lead Norway out against Czech Republic in Prague's Eden Arena, while Louis van Gal has named Maarten Stekelenburg in the Netherlands squad set to face France in Paris. Concluding the Fulham players in European friendly action is Elsad Zverotić, with the 27-year-old part of the Montenegro squad that host Ghana in Podogorica.

Clint Dempsey has been handed a provisional squad place ahead of the USA's game against Ukraine in Kharkiv, while Ashkan Dejagah is part of the Iran party that will host Kuwait in an AFC Asian Cup Qualifier before taking on Guinea in a friendly. Neil Etheridge has also been named in the Philippines squad that will take on Malaysia and then Azerbaijan in two friendly fixtures.

With many of our senior players on international duty, our youngsters will be in action, too, with Pajtim Kasami included in Switzerland's Under-21 squad for their forthcoming European Championship Qualifier against Liechtenstein. The Swiss currently sit second in Group 5, six points behind Croatia.

In Group 1, Josh Pritchard and George Williams have been included in Wales' provisional squad ahead of their game with leaders England at Derby County's Pride Park. Williams will also train with the full squad. With four games to play, Wales reside in third place and six points behind their upcoming opponents.

Jesse Joronen should also see Group 1 action, as fourth-placed Finland take on San Marino in sixth. Lasse Vigen Christensen's Denmark have their destiny in their own hands as Group 2 leaders and, with five wins and two draws from their seven fixtures, they remain the favourites to progress to the Play-Offs. Denmark face Estonia.

In Group 9, Marcello Trotta has been included in the Italy squad that face Northern Ireland in Glenavon. The Italians go into the game in third place on nine points, with Belgium leading the way at the top on 13.

Chris David has been called up to the Netherlands Under-21 provisional squad for their friendly against Israel. Jack Grimmer is part of the Scotland Under-21 squad that host Hungary in a friendly fixture at Tannadice Park in Dundee.

Following his recent good form, Moussa Dembélé has been included in the France Under-18 squad that take on Germany in Lubeck.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/24/international-round-up?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Lewis Holtby gives backing to Felix Magath's hardline methods
• Loanee hits out at critics who called Magath 'Saddam Hussein'
• Coach thinks players could be fitter despite draw at West Brom

The new Fulham coach, Felix Magath, right, offers some advice to Lewis Holtby.
Photograph: Ross Kinnaird/Getty Images

Lewis Holtby, having worked under Felix Magath before and survived to tell the tale, is advising his team-mates that running through the pain barrier is the best way to help Fulham avoid relegation as he warned the manager's critics to stop calling him Saddam Hussein.

"It's over the top, he didn't kill anyone," Holtby said. "He's not a murderer, but if you compare him to Saddam it's not very generous and it's not very nice. I think it's a bit of a disgrace if you called someone Saddam."

The German attributes his resilience to Magath's "character-building" training regime when a teenager at Schalke and, having seemingly been chosen to act as his compatriot's conduit on the field now that they are reunited at Fulham, is suggesting that his new team-mates knuckle down and accept that the physical and mental ordeals ahead will aid their mission to remain in the Premier League.

"We all talked about what could maybe happen and that training is going to be very hard," Holtby, on loan from Tottenham, said. "You have to be honest about that. But the most important thing is to be physically and mentally on the top level.

"Of course he trains hard but everyone has his own philosophy. He won a couple of titles in Germany [two with Bayern Munich and one with Wolfsburg], you always have to respect that. For me as a player, it was really hard back in the day. I'm not saying we didn't suffer, but I'm not complaining. The thing is you have to graft through it. You have to be happy that he makes you fit and mentally very strong."

The signs were ominous for Fulham's players with Magath indicating, after this promising 1-1 draw at West Bromwich Albion, that he believes his new players could be fitter. "We get goals-against in the last quarter of the game. I think in the past they have done a lot of work but we have to change a bit the style of work," the 60-year-old said. "I think we can improve."

Magath saw his new team continue the improvement they had shown in drawing with Manchester United and losing only at the last to Liverpool at the end of René Meulensteen's short reign, but concede another late goal, when Matej Vydra's shot was mishandled by Maarten Stekelenburg and confirmed as over the line by the goal decision system.

They had been far the better side in the first half, with Holtby pulling the strings from his favoured No10 position, and went ahead when Ashkan Dejagah, who also played for Magath at Wolfsburg, struck midway through the first half.

Yet Fulham tired, perhaps after their first week training under Magath, and were blown apart by West Brom's improvement after the interval. Credit to Pepe Mel, still seeking his first win in English football after six games, for his tactical tinkering that hinged around Victor Anichebe's introduction as the attacking pivot in a 4-3-3 shape. The Albion coach deserved the fourth consecutive home draw from Vydra's equaliser.

On a day when Sunderland and Cardiff City both suffered heavy defeats, this almost felt like a victory for West Brom, considering that Fulham lost two points as they gained one with that equaliser.

"Before the game we needed three points, but we only got one," Vydra said. "But if we'd lost, Fulham would have got the three points and moved closer to us. So it's a good point."

Man of the match Victor Anichebe (WBA)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/23/fulham-lewis-holtby-felix-magath-westbrom?

WhiteJC

Fulham: With Winnable Games Ahead, Magath's Work In Progress Is Promising

Sitting on our lead was always going to be precarious but fans need to chill - don't think of it as two points dropped, think of it as a step in the right direction...

Frustration has become common place amongst Fulham fans, which meant the manner in which we conceded our late equaliser came as little surprise to all, but still produced the same level of annoyance.

Whilst I nursed a sliced shin wildly celebrating Ashkan Dejagah's opener in the away end, it was a result that produced many positives, but posed the same questions. The tone of late has been to instill faith via the means of a good first half performance, only to proceed to eradicate it in the second half.

Magath opted to hold onto our lead, which puzzled many, especially when you have conceded 59 Premier League goals and find yourself bottom of the league. This sort of thinking resembles getting rejected by every girl in the club, only to proceed to attempt to woo one of the models. It was never going to work.

Sitting on a slender lead away from home was always going to end one way. Considering the way we played in the first half, it was a negative approach to disregard our attacking potent and use the option of exploiting one of our weakest points. Magath made the point of us having to forget about glamorous performances and concentrate on points, but neither were achieved.

Pessimism is a strong point of mine as it is so easy to maintain, but had I been offered a draw before kick-off, I would have taken it. When you remind yourself that their last two home outings ended in draws against Liverpool and Chelsea, you can't consider yourself too unfortunate. Looking from West Brom's perspective, they will certainly be more aggrieved at only gaining a point.

Realism needs to be instilled into some fans, with many lambasting the result as if we had thrown away the title. We haven't become Barcelona over night, and there are still 11 games to go. A work in progress is the current predicament we are in, and whilst we don't have much time, we have to take it how it is.

Although we find the light at the end of the tunnel flickering, largely due to Martin Jol spending our electricity money on the likes of Elsad Zverotic and Mickael Taveres, we still find ourselves with a number of winnable games. We crucially face home games against Newcastle, Norwich, Hull and Crystal Palace along with away games at Cardiff, Aston Villa and Stoke. They will all be looking to pick up points as much as us, but it gives me a cause for optimism about our survival chances.

The ifs and buts are what drive football fans crazy, and having played out the Premier League table predictor more times than is good for my health, I'm verging on borderline psychopath. I do, however, have faith in us picking up maximum points in a number of those fixtures. You live to rue missed opportunities and conceding late goals, but doing so will leave you in the same mental state I find myself in. Despite telling my brain on numerous occasions to let things be, it is the only place I can find my fix of hope.

It's funny how the mood of a fan can be altered by the occurrences of events in a game, and in particular, the timing of them. Had we of conceded early on and mustered a late equaliser, the mood would be a damn sight brighter. But it's having those three points in your grasp, and throwing two of them in the river in such a fashion which creates the uncertainty and pessimism. As Jimmy Greaves would say, it's a funny old game.

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/fulham-with-winnable-games-ahead-magaths-work-in-progress-is-promising/?

WhiteJC

It`s Only Chelsea!

As we hang on to every word the first German manager in the Premier League has to say, in the hope that Felix Magath can lead us to Premier League safety, we shouldn`t be fearful of our next opponents.

This Saturday we entertain our near-neighbours, top of the table Chelsea, but Felix is confident we can spring a shock, remarking after the draw against West Bromwich Albion,

"Chelsea had the same result as us here at West Brom, why shouldn`t we win against them at home?"

I`m not sure it works like that Felix.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=350806#ixzz2uJygQhXb

WhiteJC

Playing Away With Felix!

The goal scored by Ashkan Dejagah was of some significance on Saturday.

As well as giving us a share of the spoils it was the first goal Dejagah had netted for Fulham, away from home.

It was also the first time Dejagah had scored away from home since he netted for Wolfsburg against Hoffenheim, in the German Bundesliga, back in September 2011.

And, of course, the manager of Wolfsburg at the time was none other than a certain Felix Magath!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=350807#ixzz2uJyuo4xH

WhiteJC

Tunnicliffe shown the door by new boss Magath just 25 days after signing for Fulham

Ryan Tunnicliffe has been told he can leave Fulham - just 25 days after joining from Manchester United.

The 21-year-old was brought to Craven Cottage by sacked manager Rene Meulensteen on transfer deadline day.

But new boss Felix Magath has taken the decision to axe the youngster from his first-team plans and will allow him to leave on loan ahead of a permanent summer departure.

Exit: Fulham's Ryan Tunnicliffe (right) has been told he can leave the club by his new manager Felix Magath

Signed up: The 21-year-old only joined from Manchester United on the last day of the transfer window

The German took the decision last week following the first few training sessions at his new club.

Tunnicliffe played for Fulham's Under 21s last week and didn't even feature in the senior side's match-day squad for Saturday's draw against West Bromwich, despite starting the final two games of  Meulensteen's reign.

Magath has been ruthless in his dismantling of Meulensteen's regime having sacked members of the Dutchman's backroom team last week including Alan Curbishley, Ray Wilkins, Jonathan Hill and Mick Priest — and Tunnicliffe has become the first squad casualty.

Meanwhile, Curbishley has spoken of his disappointment at being axed by Fulham.

'There was a change of manager who decided he wanted to bring his own staff in, and that is always a consequence of managerial changes,' Curbishley said.

Wielding the axe: New Fulham manager Felix Magath has started his reign at the club in a ruthless manner

Favourite: Rene Meulensteen (left) had been picking Tunnicliffe during his time in charge

'I understood it, I respected it, but I was a little bit disappointed because, when I went into Fulham, the role I had was something the club needed.

'Rene had never been a manager before and I was there to advise and offer my opinion on things, as was Ray.

'There are some inexperienced managers in the Premier League such as Tim Sherwood at Tottenham and Garry Monk at Swansea, so there is a role for ex-managers to be mentors. But unfortunately it only lasted seven weeks.'

Gone: Alan Curbishley (left) and Ray Wilkins (right) were both shown the door by Magath

Learning from the best: Tunnicliffe spent his youth career playing for Manchester United

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2566873/Fulhams-Ryan-Tunnicliffe-shown-door-new-boss-Felix-Magath-just-25-days-signing.html#ixzz2uJzM2kuS
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Stats: Does Tunnicliffe deserve his reported Fulham fate?

Reports claim Fulham's Ryan Tunnicliffe is set to leave the club on loan.

Ryan Tunnicliffe moved from Manchester United to Fulham on transfer deadline day, and almost immediately spoke about his excitement at being reunited with his former coach at Old Trafford Rene Meulensteen.

Speaking to the club's official website, the 21-year-old said, "I've known Rene since I was nine and there was talk when he took over that he was interested in me, so it's just picked up steam this week really and I'm here now and glad to sign.

"Rene didn't have to sell Fulham to me, for a start they're in the Premier League and I want to play at the highest level. I know Rene and I know he's a great coach so I'm just excited to work for him."

But following the appointment of Felix Magath as manager in place of the Dutchman, Tunnicliffe went from starter (all be it for just two matches) to being omitted from the match-day squad.

Sky Sports is now reporting that Fulham have given the midfielder permission to spend the rest of the current campaign on loan.  although the report ends with the caveat that he is still seen as having a future at Craven Cottage.

But if he is swiftly out of the door he has only just come in - temporarily or otherwise - can he feel aggrieved at the decision, or is it simply a case of Fulham needing experience to ensure they escape the relegation worries that have blighted their season?

Below are statistics that show his influence in the two matches he played under Meulensteen.  On both occasions - against United and Liverpool - he started.  And it is worth mentioning that Fulham drew at Old Trafford and narrowly lost to a last-gasp penalty against the Reds.

Player   Match   Matchday   Touches   Accurate Pass   Key Pass   Won Tackle   Interception Won   Mins
Lewis Holtby   Man Utd vs Fulham   25   53   23   1   2   0   90
Steve Sidwell   Man Utd vs Fulham   25   46   14   1   3   3   90
Kieran Richardson   Man Utd vs Fulham   25   36   8   0   3   1   90
William Kvist   Man Utd vs Fulham   25   34   15   0   1   3   80
Ryan Tunnicliffe   Man Utd vs Fulham   25   18   8   1   2   0   65
Scott Parker   Man Utd vs Fulham   25   9   4   0   1   0   25
Larnell Cole   Man Utd vs Fulham   25   4   1   1   1   0   10

Against his former club, Tunnicliffe played for 65 minutes before being replaced by Scott Parker.  While United had a huge proportion of the play - and a multitude of unconverted crosses to boot - Fulham's players dug in and dealt with the onslaught.

He played one key pass during the match and won two tackles - figures that compare favourably with his teammates that afternoon.  However he was outshone in terms of touches and accurate passes, and with Fulham needing to impose themselves on games as much as possible in what remains of the season, that may be one reason the player is on the verge of a loan move.

Player   Match   Matchday   Touches   Accurate Pass   Key Pass   Won Tackle   Interception Won   Mins
Lewis Holtby   Fulham vs Liverpool   26   75   32   1   2   1   90
William Kvist   Fulham vs Liverpool   26   39   25   1   2   2   90
Steve Sidwell   Fulham vs Liverpool   26   38   16   0   0   2   90
Ryan Tunnicliffe   Fulham vs Liverpool   26   31   11   1   0   0   90
Kieran Richardson   Fulham vs Liverpool   26   30   7   1   0   1   71
Alexander Kacaniklic   Fulham vs Liverpool   26   8   6   0   0   0   19

Against Liverpool he fared better in terms of touches, but still fell short of the likes of Lewis Holtby, William Kvist and Steve Sidwell in terms of accurate passes, with just 11 finding a teammate (compared with Holtby's 32 and Kvist's 25).

He again played a key pass but for the second match running he failed to make an interception or - against Liverpool - to win a single tackle.

Tunnicliffe has the natural talent to be a huge success in the Premier League.  But he would have thought that joining Meulensteen would have seen him gain that experience far quicker than he is now likely to do.

If he does head back to the Championship on loan, it is likely to be with a sense of regret at what might have been.  But he will surely be hoping Fulham survive before returning to prove what he can do next season.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/02/24/stats-does-tunnicliffe-deserve-his-reported-fulham-fate/?

WhiteJC

Brian McBride Honoured

Former Fulham Captain Brian McBride has been inducted into the U.S. National Soccer Hall of Fame.

McBride, who lined up for the U.S. at three FIFA World Cups (1998, 2002 and 2006), was elected to the Class of 2014 as a first-ballot inductee. With more than 90 caps and 30 international goals to his name, he is recognised as one of his country's greatest ever players. 

He also helped the U.S. claim the 2002 CONCACAF Gold Cup, and guided them to the Semi-Final of the 1999 FIFA Confederations Cup and the Quarter-Final of the World Cup in 2002.

Having started his career at Milwaukee Rampage, McBride lined up for VfL Wolfsburg in Germany before returning to the U.S. with Columbus Crew. Loan spells at Preston North End and Everton followed, before a move to Craven Cottage in January 2004.

In SW6 the American's impact was instant, leading Fulham's front line with unrivalled bravery and commitment. He would go on to score 40 goals in 153 appearances for the Whites, and finished the 2006/07 campaign as the Club's leading scorer. In the summer of 2007, he was handed the Captain's armband.

Such was his popularity on the banks of the Thames, McBride was twice named Fulham's Player of the Year and in June 2009 the Club renamed a bar at the Cottage in his honour. In playing his part in Fulham's 'Great Escape' at the end of the 2007/08 season (his last in English football), few overseas players have captured Fulham hearts quite like our former inspirational striker.

He returned to the MLS in July 2008 when signing for Chicago Fire, before retiring at the end of the 2009/10 season – scoring in his final match and leaving the field to a standing ovation.

Now working as an analyst for Fox Soccer, McBride's contribution to American soccer and the wider game has been deservedly rewarded and all at Fulham Football Club would like to congratulate him on his award.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/24/mcbride-hall-of-fame?

WhiteJC

MAGATHS ABSURD ABANDONMENT OF HOMEGROWN TALENT

After a deadline day swoop by Fulham Football Club and making two appearances for his new club, former England youth midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe and England U20 midfielder Larnell Cole have been given short shrift by manager Felix Magath and sent out on loan (with a possible view to a permanent transfer taking place in the summer) less than 25 days after being bought by the London based club. Both winners of the FA Youth Cup in 2011 and players who had worked with former Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen since the age of 9, Tunnicliffe and Cole had signed deals with Fulham until 2017, with an option for an extra year. The plan now? Out with the bins in the morning.

A source close to both players has revealed to England Football Blog that both players are "absolutely shocked" by the situation, especially considering Fulham manager Felix Magath had physically seen the players for just one day before punting them into touch. Shocking indeed.

...but let's level set for a second and recalibrate the positioning of this piece...

Tunnicliffe was never destined to captain England, or lead the country to World Cup glory. Tunnicliffe's story is not about a scorned world beater who is the poster child for English footballers getting the stick.  Instead, Tunnicliffe's story, along with Larnell Cole, is just a higher profile example of the ridiculous merry-go-round nature of the Premier League and it's continued impact on the progress and development homegrown talent.

Cynics will argue that Tunnicliffe "wasn't good enough" or highlight that he was "just playing at Ipswich weeks ago" and his Dad likes a bet. Well, he was good enough to earn a Manchester United debut under Sir Alex Ferguson, and was deemed good enough to start and play in two Premier League matches under his former Fulham manager. Larnell Cole prospered at the second largest global FIFA tournament behind the World Cup and did enough to be rewarded with a Fulham debut. Now, because of some dotted line relationship to a former manager they're chopped liver? The talent and promise is plain to see! The opportunity to showcase it, however, is not. For the sake of comparison regarding  lower league development; Dan Burn was at Birmingham a week before his trial by fire, Ross Barkley tottered about the Football League before setting the top flight alight.

The fancy of a new manager, barely a week into the job and only 24 hours into his in person evaluation of two homegrown talents, has cast asunder the opportunity for a player to actually play in the Premier League.

It's an all too familiar tale. New man in brings jobs for the boys and a second wave of imports along with it. This is not to say homegrown talent should be given a hand out based on birthright, rather it's the proof point that there are players out there who can compete at the highest level but just aren't being allowed to showcase what they can do.

How many players are English clubs (and England!) losing out on due to the negative mentality that cascades down from the very top. At Fulham you dread what might happen to Josh Passley's career (debutante under Meulensteen) or even the imposing figure of the aforementioned Dan Burn (dropped to the bench after starting every game for Meulensteen). You just hope that when they say "cream rises to the top" that Patrick Roberts will be given his chance to shine...

Trust
Opportunity
Pathways

If the grassroots is undergoing an overhaul, along with coaching in England, then something needs to be done at the top for the players who are already capable of performing. Perhaps annual changes and revamps of the EPPP isn't exactly beneficial....eh, Mr. Scudamore?

http://www.englandfootballblog.com/2014/02/25/magaths-absurd-abandonment-of-homegrown-talent/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=magaths-absurd-abandonment-of-homegrown-talent

WhiteJC

Transfer News: Fulham new boy Larnell Cole heads to MK Dons

Larnell Cole (left): Is joining MK Dons

Larnell Cole, who joined Fulham on deadline from Manchester United, is joining Milton Keynes Dons on loan, Sky Sports understands.

The 20-year-old joined the Craven Cottage outfit late on deadline day, along with United team-mate Ryan Tunnicliffe.

However, like Tunnicliffe - Cole is set to head out on loan after being told by new boss Felix Magath he could make the move.

Tunniclife - as we revealed earlier this week - has been given permission to discuss loan deals with Ipswich and Wigan, but Cole's deal is set to be finalised.

He will join Karl Robinson's MK Dons on loan for the rest of the season.

Cole did manage to make his Premier League debut for Fulham after coming on at United, but since Rene Meulensteen's sacking he has not been involved.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9183868/transfer-news-fulham-new-boy-larnell-cole-heads-to-mk-dons

WhiteJC

Magath wants Fulham fighting fit for Chelsea clash

German chief to raise intensity in training ahead of west London derby

Getting tough: Fulham manager Felix Magath
Fulham boss Felix Magath plans to step up training this week ahead of Saturday's west London derby with Chelsea.

The 60-year-old German, nicknamed 'The Torturer' and 'Saddam' in his homeland due to his brutal methods, was denied a winning start after the Cottagers conceded a late equaliser at West Brom last weekend.

Magath admits he hasn't had time to put his stamp on training during his first seven days at the helm, but insists he can get the Whites up to speed in a bid to keep them up.

He said: "I did not change too much [last week] but we will have time to change things on the training field.

"We will work on it. We have to improve [our fitness] because this season we have conceded a lot of goals in the last quarter of matches.

"In the past they have done a lot of work but I think we have to change the style of work."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/magath-wants-fulham-fighting-fit-6743080?

WhiteJC

Etheridge Rejoins Crewe

Fulham goalkeeper Neil Etheridge has rejoined Crewe Alexandra on loan until 13th April.

The 24-year-old made three appearances for the Sky Bet League One Railwaymen earlier this season, featuring in one win and two defeats.

The Philippines international now returns to the Alex and is eligible to feature in Tuesday night's fixture at fellow strugglers Stevenage.

Crewe currently sit in 21st place in League One, two points above the drop zone.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/25/etheridge-rejoins-crewe?

K33NY

Not happy at all about the decission with Tunnicliffe... he seemed like a very promising player for a future Fulham, I hope they dont cut off David, Dembele and Plumain as well.......

WhiteJC

Fulham's toughest rival

I am sure many of you will have been expecting a blog regarding this Saturday's big West London derby and while Chelsea are indeed one of the strongest opponents we to face in our run in, they are not the biggest obstacle we have in overcoming relegation.

What became apparent at the Hawthorns this weekend more so than ever before is the battle against time that Felix Magath and his men find themselves up against. Just 11 games remain and despite some early signs that the German's widely reported militant training regime is having a positive impact, it may all have come to late in the season to save us.

A positive first half saw Fulham 1-0 up at half-time having dominated the majority of proceedings. The Jekyll & Hyde performances we are familiar with though became apparent in the second half as we once again succumbed to a late equaliser and failed to replicate anything close to the passing and movement of the first 45. The average age of our squad can be seen as a factor in our late capitulations but we are also a team desperate for a win and nerves play a big part in causing us to panic where a level head is required.

Having only had a few days with the squad prior to Saturday, Magath is clearly still feeling out his team selection and no one really knew what to expect in terms of a line-up. We can only hope that he is quick in deciding who does, and doesn't, feature in his plans for the rest of the season so that for the first time in a long time he can bring some level of consistency to our starting XI.

On a positive note we did finally get to see our record signing Kostas Mitroglou make his debut, although his lack of match sharpness was very much apparent. In fairness he entered the game at a time where there was little opportunity to get involved in the final third although when he is fully fit, I suspect we may have run out of games in which he can make an impact.

We still seem to be letting matches pass us by and while Magath's confidence in our ability to stay up is admirable, there are other teams around us who continue to pick up points against opponents we rolled over against. You can say as many times as you want that anything from the game against Chelsea is a bonus but the fact is we probably can't afford to lose it. At the very least it is the last time this season we can compromise a result for an improvement in performance, although the following week away at Cardiff is the epitome of a must-win.

I am fully committed to getting behind Felix for the rest of the season but time is running out and the great escape needs to start soon...

COYW !

http://www.shoot.co.uk/fulham-toughest-rival/

WhiteJC

Cole Makes Dons Switch

The Club can confirm that Larnell Cole has joined Milton Keynes Dons until the end of the season.

Cole arrived at Craven Cottage from Manchester United on the final day of the January transfer window. The 20-year-old has made one appearance for the Club, that coming in the 2-2 draw at his old stomping ground of Old Trafford last month.

The winger will be looking to make an impact at Stadium MK under manager Karl Robinson, with the Dons hoping for a late promotion push in Sky Bet League One.

He is eligible to feature when the Dons travel to Oldham Athletic on Tuesday night (7.45pm).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/25/cole-makes-dons-switch?