more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (27/02/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 26, 2014, 06:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Azkals' Etheridge rejoins League 1's Crewe on loan

LONDON -- Philippine Azkal goalkeeper Neil Etheridge has rejoined League One side Crewe Alexandra FC on loan from English Premier League outfit Fulham FC.

The 24-year-old, whose spell at the Alexandra Stadium last November was cut short due to a thigh injury, will be with the Railwaymen until April 13.

ABS-CBN Europe caught up with the British-Pinoy before his first game back against Stevenage Town, which Crewe lost 1-0.

"I'm glad to be back out on loan," Etheridge said. "I had three games with them at the back end of last year but then I got injured and I was disappointed. Massive thanks to their manager [Steve Davis] for holding on and taking me back. It's great."

During his previous stint, the London-born shot-stopper conceded just four goals and helped bolster a defense that had leaked 36 goals in its last 16 games.

"I must have done something right in the first three games and I know I played quite well, but I know when I got injured that my job wasn't done there. I wanted to go back and I wanted to prove myself in that league again," he said.

Etheridge is also eager to reverse the fortunes of Crewe, who have conceded the most number of goals in the division at 62, and currently sit in 20th place with 34 points after 33 games -- just two points above the drop zone.

"I want to help the club out of the very unfortunate situation they're in, towards the bottom of the league. For the time that I'm going to be there I'll give 110% to make sure that by the time I leave they won't be anywhere near that relegation battle," he said.

Having previously been loaned to Charlton and Bristol City, Etheridge views this as another chance to gain more experience and playing time.

"I'm happy, very happy. It's a move that needs to happen for me, personally. It's a great opportunity for me to put myself in the shop window or to force myself into situations where I'm used more in the first team. I know I need the experience to be able to do that," he said.

"I've got two great goalkeepers [Maarten Stekelenburg and David Stockdale] ahead of me at Fulham with a lot more experience and I know the only way for me to gain experience is going on loan. I'm delighted that I'm able to go out and play some games."

Etheridge will be flying to the United Arab Emirates next week to join up with the Philippine national team in Dubai, who will be facing Azerbaijan in a friendly match on March 5.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/02/26/14/azkals-etheridge-rejoins-league-1s-crewe-loan?

WhiteJC

Cardiff Tickets Selling Fast

Tickets for our trip to the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday 8th March (3pm) are available on General Sale and selling fast.

Prices are £30 for adults and £15 for concessions with free coach travel for all attendees. Simply call 0843 208 1234 to book your place.

Tickets for Junior Season Ticket Holders and Members also completely FREE when obtained in conjunction with at least one adult ticket. These free tickets can be claimed by calling 0843 208 1234.

Buy your tickets online today or by calling 0843 208 1234 and cheer on the team on the road!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/26/cardiff-tickets-selling-fast?

WhiteJC

Former Ipswich Town loanee Ryan Tunnicliffe explains why he decided to join Wigan Athletic

Fulham's Ryan Tunnicliffe (left) celebrates with Kieran Richardson

Former Ipswich Town loanee Ryan Tunnicliffe says it's going to be exciting playing for Uwe Rosler's promotion-chasing Wigan Athletic side during the season finale.

Tunnicliffe made 29 appearances for the Blues in the first half of the season while on loan from boyhood club Manchester United. The 21-year-old was recalled by the Red Devils towards the end of January though and sold to Premier League club Fulham where he linked back up with his former United youth team coach Rene Meulensteen.

Things started well for the hard-working youngster at Craven Cottage as he started in 2-2 draw at Old Trafford as well as a narrow 3-2 home defeat to Liverpool. Meulensteen was sacked just 74 days into the job though and replaced by Felix Magath. Tunnicliffe suddenly found himself out of favour and made available for loan.

It's understood that Mick McCarthy was keen on bringing him back to Portman Road, but that the draw of going to Wigan – one point off the play-off places with a game-in-hand – was too big for the Bury-born player.

"It's an exciting new chapter in my career, the new manager at Fulham has allowed me to come here on loan and my aim is to just get out there and play as many games as I possibly can," said Tunnicliffe.

"I played for Ipswich Town in the first half of the season and when I was 18-years-old I played 30 times for Peterborough United in the Championship.

"I'm hoping to add a few more to the 60 or so games I've played so far at this level and I'm hungry to help the team achieve its aims."

He continued: "Being a north west lad I recognise that it's a great time to be here, especially with the play-off push on right now and I'm just looking forward to playing.

"I know the surroundings at the DW Stadium already having played here for Ipswich earlier on in the season.

"I'm fortunate enough to have played here and got a feel for the place before arriving at the club and I could sense back then that it was a good environment."

With Rosler and saying his new midfield man will 'add a new dimension to our play', Tunnicliffe returned the compliment and was clearly impressed by his new manager.

"I think the gaffer wanted to get to know me as a person before signing me," he said.

"We met up and I went away from our meeting very impressed with what he had to say and with his thoughts on how to play football.

"He's an impressive man and he clearly knows what he's talking about, it's going to be exciting to play for him."

Tunnicliffe added: "I'm coming into a side which is in great form and have won a lot of games recently.

"I get the feeling that the general mood of the club is that everyone will pull together to get into those places and hopefully try to win promotion."

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/former_ipswich_town_loanee_ryan_tunnicliffe_explains_why_he_decided_to_join_wigan_athletic_1_3366314

WhiteJC

Villa Away Update

Don't forget that heavily subsided tickets for our away trip to Aston Villa on Saturday 5th April are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders.

The Club want as many away fans to back the boys at Villa Park and to make it as convenient and affordable for Fulham supporters as possible, but owing to unprecedented demand, Season Ticket Holders can now only purchase two (previously six) £10 tickets for this crucial clash.

This includes your match ticket and coach travel to the game. Concessions (over-65s, under-21s, students, armed forces) can attend the game for £8, while under-16s' tickets are priced at just £5*.

Please be aware, though, that coach places are strictly based on a first come, first served basis, and bookings must be made when the match ticket is purchased.

There are alternative travel arrangements to get to Villa Park. Train tickets from London Euston to Birmingham New Street can be purchased from thetrainline.com - Witton (Villa Park's nearest train station) is then just a 10-minute connection away.

Fans preferring to get a coach from London Victoria can travel with Megabus for approximately £9 for the round-trip, while National Express can offer shorter travel times but for around double the price.

Tickets for the clash are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders. Tickets will go on sale to Members (one per person) at 10am on Thursday.

*As with all away matches this season, Junior Season Ticket Holders and Members can attend for free, provided their ticket is bought in conjunction with an adult ticket.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/26/villa-away-on-sale-to-sths?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Felix Magath expects to be at Fulham even if they are relegated

Felix Magath: New manager hoping to avoid relegation with Fulham

Felix Magath says that he still expects to be Fulham manager next season even if the club suffer Premier League relegation.

Magath surprisingly succeeded Rene Meulensteen at Craven Cottage earlier in the month.

The German has tasted success in his home country, winning the Bundesliga trophy with Wolfsburg in 2008/09 and doesn't expect his position to change regardless of where Fulham finish this season.

He said: "I am convinced we are able to challenge the best as I definitely have the ambition to establish myself as a Premier League manager.

"There is no doubt what my aim is. Still, I have signed a deal with Fulham and this deal is valid for the Championship."

Fulham entertain Chelsea in the Premier League on Saturday.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9185739/?

WhiteJC

Why Felix Magath must do a Roy Hodgson to save Fulham

Felix Magath has already started work on Fulham's fitness, but must also concentrate on their defence.
(Picture: Clint Hughes/Getty Images)

Sacking Rene Meulensteen still vexes many Fulham fans, myself included.

It was a strange decision that came from nowhere; the team were playing well, he had been given the freedom of the January transfer window and, by all accounts, was shaping a squad of his very own making.

Most liked that. He encouraged attacking play, width and fresh, youthful legs. It was pretty much what everyone wanted.

Yet, the more you study his statistical record, and the deeper you delve into defeats like the 6-0 hammering at Hull City, and the 4-1 humiliation at home to Sunderland, the less angelic Meulensteen appears.

The justification of his removal comes in our abysmal defensive record under his tutorship. Quite simply, it seemed like there was no plan at all.

[/img]
AP Photo/Alastair Grant, FILESome Fulham fans still annoyed about Meulensteen sacking
(Picture: AP Photo/Alastair Grant)

Clean sheets were a thing of the past when they, really, needed to be a huge part of our tactical setup. Now, they must be a part of our future.

Defensive aptitude is the basis of all great teams, Roy Hodgson's 2010 Fulham elite included. If we can begin to tighten our back line then avoiding relegation will become immediately more achievable.

Under Hodgson, we played in a manner that was geared towards not conceding. It wasn't popular – especially away from home – but, ultimately, it won us points. That is all we need.

And that's why we have to hope Felix Magath brings a similar plan to Craven Cottage. His disciplinarian ways don't exactly match Hodgson, who is charming and personable at every level, but his strict fitness regime should encourage defensive fortitude.

Of late, we have been consistently conceding late on in games and fatigue has to be a part of that. Magath's aim, most definitely, is to eradicate such issues.

But also, he has made it clear that results take precedence over style. Normally, that'd ring alarm bells but in the peril we are in, Magath can do as he pleases if it saves this club from its impending doom.

With Meulensteen, you felt, sometimes, that performances became more significant than results as he tried to implement his more offensive tactical setup.

We don't have time for that now. Clean sheets are imperative; performances can take a back seat.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/26/why-felix-magath-must-do-a-roy-hodgson-to-save-fulham-4321203/?

WhiteJC

Brian's Delight

Following his induction into the US National Soccer Hall of Fame, Brian McBride has thanked Fulham fans for the support they showed him throughout his time at the Club.

Having represented his country at three World Cups (1998, 2002 and 2006), and helping the US to the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2002 and to the Semi-Final of the FIFA Confederations Cup in 1999, McBride was elected to the Class of 2014 on Monday.

Widely acknowledged as one of the US' greatest-ever players, spending eight seasons with Colombus Crew and finishing his career at hometown club Chicago Fire, he was also responsible for helping raise the profile of the game in the States.

"I'm very proud of what I achieved in the game," explained Brian to fulhamfc.com. "I was very fortunate and enjoyed every minute of it. I don't think I was a player that set the world alight, but I like to think I showed what could be achieved through hard work and dedication.

"I worked extremely hard and, as a result, progressed as a player, but I had a lot of positive influences in the form of coaches and teammates. I was blessed to have been able to work with some wonderful people who continued to push me.

"There were players before me, players that I played alongside and players that are playing right now that have done much for the game in the States and raising the profile overseas. Claudio Reyna was one that made a big difference back in the day, so too was Kasey Keller. Then there are the likes of Brad Friedel and Clint Dempsey.

"If you look at the names that have made the Hall of Fame list over the years, to be alongside them and to be thought of so highly is something my family and I will cherish – it was a very special moment.

"I was very fortunate to have played for as long as I did, during a time where the US really grew as a nation in the game. We became more consistent and to play at three World Cups was truly amazing, especially in reaching the Quarter-Final in 2002. We made a bit of history."

McBride joined the Club in January 2004, and softened the loss of the departing Louis Saha – who headed for Manchester United. McBride's impact was immediate, netting on his debut, the winner in a 2-1 victory against Tottenham Hotspur.

The all-American hero went on to win successive Player of the Season awards (2006 and 2007), and very quickly became a central figure in the white and black of Fulham. Leading the line by example, with courage and a knack for scoring match-winning goals, McBride became a popular player down on the banks of the Thames.

Named Captain for the 2007/08 season (his last for Fulham), he thrived on the responsibility set and played a vital role as the Whites' battled back from the brink at the end of that campaign – courageously heading in a winner against Everton and finding the target in crucial victories against Reading and Birmingham City. More often than not, McBride was a player that delivered.

"I retired from the game in 2010, but when I look back my time at Fulham was definitely a significant period of my career," he said. "The Club helped me become a better player, they helped me develop a greater understanding of the game. A lot happened during that time, it was an amazing experience from start to finish and hopefully I played my part.

"I was, and still am, extremely grateful for the support that I was given at Craven Cottage – the fans were brilliant with me and my family. They were passionate, and that support helped me grow as a player. As that happened, my connection to them and to the Club, got deeper and deeper."

Having spent four-and-a-half years at Fulham, McBride's link to the Whites remains strong. As an analyst for Fox Soccer, the 41-year-old continues to follow the Club and hopes the current side can draw on his own experiences from the 2007/08 season in an attempt to turn the fortunes of the current campaign around.

"The players have to keep the belief, just like we did in the 'Great Escape' season," added Brian. "There are games to be played, and points to be won – they just have to keep focus on the next game and work towards that goal of staying up.

"I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Shahid Khan yet, but having spoken to a few of his associates, the feeling that I get is that he's someone that's very, very passionate about Fulham. On top of that, he's shown that he's willing to do whatever he can to get things right and moving in the right direction.

"We had Mohamed Al Fayed back then, and likewise he showed that passion to succeed. When players see that from the owner it gives them a real lift, and that positivity filters down and often makes a difference. Mr Khan wants to push the guys on, and I really hope they can."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/26/brian-honoured?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath vows to stay at Fulham

Fulham manager Felix Magath has insisted that he will not walk away from the club if they get relegated this season.

The German, 60, joined the Premier League strugglers earlier this month following the surprise departure of Rene Meulensteen.

Despite the team sitting four points adrift of safety at the bottom of the table with 11 games left to play, Magath is eager to remain in charge regardless of their fate.

"I am convinced we are able to challenge the best as I definitely have the ambition to establish myself as a Premier League manager," he told Sky Sports News.

"There is no doubt what my aim is. Still, I have signed a deal with Fulham and this deal is valid for the Championship."

Fulham continue their fight for Premier League survival on Saturday when they entertain local rivals Chelsea.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/relegation-battle/news/magath-vows-to-stay-at-fulham_141297.html

WhiteJC

Magath Prepared To Drop Down Into The Championship With Fulham

Felix Magath insists he will still be at Fulham next season, if their fixture list includes trips to the likes of Bournemouth and Huddersfield Town.

In what has been a hugely troubling campaign at Craven Cottage, the German is the third man to take the reins at the club since August. Dutchman Martin Jol was fired in December of his third term in charge, and his replacement, compatriot Rene Meulensteen, was sacked earlier this month after just 13 league matched in the dugout.

Magath was denied a much-needed win in his first game when the Londoners were held to a 1-1 draw against West Bromwich Albion last weekend, a result which leaves them rooted to the foot of the Premier League. However, even if they suffer relegation from the top-flight into the Championship, the 60-year-old intends to stick around.

"I am convinced we are able to challenge the best as I have the ambition to establish myself as a Premier League manager," Magath, who won two Bundesliga titles with Bayern Munich and one with Wolfsburg, told Sky Sports. "There is no doubt what my aim is. Still, I have signed a deal with Fulham and this deal is valid for the Championship."

The Cottagers have been a Premier League club since 2001, and finished eighth under Roy Hodgson in 2008-09. Their bid to remain in the elite resumes on Saturday afternoon, when they welcome league leaders and neighbours Chelsea.

http://takefootball.com/magath-prepared-to-drop-down-into-the-championship-with-fulham/?