watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cricket? Are you kidding me?

Started by RidgeRider, January 30, 2010, 11:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron

Now how could we avoid losing....Ah, I know, we'll have a "World Series" in cricket, but not invite anyone else to take part......except maybe Japan and Puerto Rico.... :045:

HatterDon

you just need to have better South Africans in your XI, Ron.

By the way, I LOVE cricket; just couldn't resist the nudge at England with 6/14 looming.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ron

Quote from: HatterDon on May 12, 2010, 03:01:13 AM

By the way, I LOVE cricket; just couldn't resist the nudge at England with 6/14 looming.

I know you do Mr. H....I was just fishing for a couple of bites from the Baseball fan community...but no luck so far   :016:

Steve_orino

Quote from: ron on May 12, 2010, 04:44:26 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on May 12, 2010, 03:01:13 AM

I know you do Mr. H....I was just fishing for a couple of bites from the Baseball fan community...but no luck so far   :016:

What's Baseball?  <smiley-guy shruggin> or this guy works... :032:
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

tjl

Well our England team are through to the final of the 20/20s, and going back to the use of a couple of SA players who are all qualified to play for England, It's not that long ago in the USA if you didn't pick up the ball and run with it on a soccer pitch you were granted instant citizenship and capped to play for America, you must have had a team with a player from every continent. :011:

HatterDon

Quote from: tjl on May 14, 2010, 06:08:38 AM
Well our England team are through to the final of the 20/20s, and going back to the use of a couple of SA players who are all qualified to play for England, It's not that long ago in the USA if you didn't pick up the ball and run with it on a soccer pitch you were granted instant citizenship and capped to play for America, you must have had a team with a player from every continent. :011:

We did, indeed, sir. The "best" of this category was a LB named David Regis. He had an American wife, and played in Ligue1, and this was enough for the USSF to believe that he'd be our key in France '98. He was about half as fast on the turn as Franck Queudrue, and was eaten alive in our "worst in the tournament" performance.

As far as I know, after the WC he never came back to the USA and didn't do a whole lot more playing. The South Africans are interesting. I remember the effect of South Africa's international sports ban. England had a chubby "cape colored" cricketer named Basil D'Olivera, and the USA had a striker named Roy Wegerle -- neither of whom would have played for anyone else other than SA, had it been possible. I'm not quite sure how Pieterson and the other SA players get away with turning out for England.

tjl

Morning HD and all cricket fans we have a great weekend coming up, a 20/20 final V South Africa for England, about our SA born players as far as i under stand you have to reside in UK and play County cricket for two years, this makes you eligible this is my understanding of the rules, in the USA if you arrive at Ellis Island carrying a cricket bat you get a free set of whites and a box and turn out in the next fixture?
Our cricket team are on one of there rare away weekends up at our most northern Channel Island Alderney, with a game today and another on Sunday i can't go as after busy week with Liberation day last Monday i have to do some work results next week. 
Just to finish up a bone to pick with HD i now have two bum buys from US, the second Kinsella book that is hard going plus Bob and Tom radio that you used to advertise at the end of your posts i found it on Amazon, thinking back there must have been wine taken because on arrival it turns out to be region 1 what did i expect buying from the US, yes i know i can change the computer to view it but that involves paying for a holiday for my 6 year grandson Jack as i don't change anything without his help.

HatterDon

Mr. tjl

First of all:

Congratulatioins to England for winning the 20/20 World Cup.

Second of all:

Don't stop reporting on "cricket on the rock"

Third of all:

I had convinced the lads in the pub on Wednesday that the BEST result in the Europa Cup final would have been Fulham 3-1, as you'd have certainly cleaned up a ton of dosh, even though none of them knew who you were.

Fourth of all:

I'm sorry you're finding the Kinsella book slow going. I fell in love with it, but then I'm into all that South American magic realism stuff in fiction. I figure if you liked Shoeless Joe, then you might like The Iowa Baseball Confederacy, but it was never a given.

Fifth of all:

SIGH. The Bob and Tom Show was a morning radio program in Houston [all of us discovered AFTER we named our band "The Tim and Bob Show"]. Take a look at the difference in the names. If you're interested in the band and what we sound and look like, here's the website again:

www.thetimandbobshow.com

You can even order our CD there. I'm not sure whether you can get it on Amazon.com. Have a great summer, and keep in touch.

tjl

:002: Yet again i got it wrong sorry about that, but to redeem myself i ordered your latest cd, now that's over. What a great win, we do love to beat the aussies looking forward to going to work this morning we have one working with us he's about 25 act's about 12 when they win can't be found if they don't so seeing him this morning is a long shot.
Our cricket team get back this morning so will post the results and any interesting tales.

HatterDon

I hope you enjoy the CD as much as you did the 20/20 result. Watch your post box for its arrival soon.

and Thanks.

tjl

The lads come back from their trip to our northern neighbor Alderney having lost the cricket and Upset at finding a team that could match them drink for drink, so a good weekend was had by all, apart from the result, first proper home match coming up this Saturday.

FatFreddysCat

Cricket teams drink Pimms. Fact.  :046: .

Steve_orino

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 19, 2010, 08:24:02 PM
Cricket teams drink Pimms. Fact.  :046: .

The wife and I had that stuff in our 'signature' drink for our wedding!!!  A Pimm Cup they called it.

The lady coordinating the wedding didn't realize it was an alcoholic drink and they served a couple of glasses to kids at the reception...not good  :doh:
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

tjl

Test match starts tomorrow onwards and upwards England, wanted to go watch the cricket on the rock last Saturday but just before closing up the workshop the phone went some bugger having nothing better to do kicked in a old temporary door on a cottage under renovation so had to go and make repairs, so missed the cricket, and judging by the amount of empties and dog ends some people just had no other place to party after Friday night, hope they had a hell of a hang over.

CorkedHat

As anybody who is sufficiently insane enough to read my meanderings on Face Book will know I am a veritable sports addict.
I love Football, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Aussie Rules, Cricket, Swimming. Athletics, Boxing, Cycling, Lawn Bowls and Olympic Rowing.
But any sport that was spawned in America such as Basketball, Baseball and Grid Iron has me searching for the nearest blanket in which I can bury my head and scream.
I fully appreciate that if I had been born or just even migrated to America I would have been sucked in by these sports in the same way that I am now addicted to Aussie Rules, but viewing them from afar suits me just fine. (The further the better, particuarly Basketball which next to Synchronised Swimming must be the most mind numbing game ever invented).
I don't expect anyone to experience the same orgasmic exhiliration I receive when watching my beloved Carlton win a game in Aussie Rules. but given that we have often have crowds of 60,000 to 80,000 for a normal Home and Away game in a city with a population base of 4 million says it all really.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Logicalman

Quote from: CorkedHat on May 28, 2010, 02:40:09 AM

I fully appreciate that if I had been born or just even migrated to America I would have been sucked in by these sports in the same way ..........

nah, you wouldn't have, take it from someone who has tried for the past 12 years - it still doesn't do anything for me. I guess we were spoiled watching a truly competitive game with few breaks where sportsmen had to think for themselves for more than 10 seconds. I do keep trying though, at least I won't be a quitter.  :006:

CorkedHat

You are probably right about basketball Mr L.
I honestly cannot see why anyone would want to watch nine feet tall African Americans take it in turn to drop a ball in a net. It is seriously the most inane game I can think of.
Even though Australia have churned out a few stars such as Luc Longley, Andrew Bogut and Lauren Jackson the game has failed to take off in any meaningful way over here.
Brisbane who won the title a few years back are no more and this is the third largest city in Australia.

FatFreddysCat

Good call about basket ball Mr C Hat, it is terrible, even worse than cricket in fact. But cricket is a bit gayer to be honest.

finnster01

Quote from: CorkedHat on May 28, 2010, 02:13:03 PM
You are probably right about basketball Mr L.
I honestly cannot see why anyone would want to watch nine feet tall African Americans take it in turn to drop a ball in a net. It is seriously the most inane game I can think of.
Even though Australia have churned out a few stars such as Luc Longley, Andrew Bogut and Lauren Jackson the game has failed to take off in any meaningful way over here.
Brisbane who won the title a few years back are no more and this is the third largest city in Australia.
Mr John,

I don't actually disagree with you Mr Corked Hat, but I will say this. In the inner city of New York, there are some tremendous athletes who's only sport they grow up with is basketball. There is no place here to play soccer/football (even the american version).
These kids are great kids in all sense of the word. They may not have everything we have, but even I had a bunch of poo growing up in London and my old man died when I was 10 so helping out the youth here appeals to me. I am now getting close to help financing the first football/soccer bin in the projects here in Harlem which I hope will be huge. Maybe it will help, maybe it will not, but if a bunch of 9 ft African Americans even end up playing Scrabble that is a shitload better than robbing me on the way back from my local liquor store.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

CorkedHat

Fair call Mr Finn.
When I was growing up in Battersea with the arse hanging out of my trousers the only other option to becoming a professional footballer was to become a professional boxer.
I was sent off to the Caius Amateur Boxing Club (who produced ABA Champion Peter Benneyworth).
In my first and only bout I shook hands with my opponent and the next thing I know is some bloody referee smacking me on the face and saying, "Come on son – it's all over."
It was all over alright – for ever.
I had been hit full whack in the comic cuts and it wasn't until then that I realised that when people are knocked out they do actually see stars. I thought that was something that only happened in the comic strips but I saw a whole effing galaxy.
Keep your chin tucked in, hold your gloves up high and move about the ring – don't be a target. That was the advice I received as I jogged out to the centre of the ring
Right you are boss, leave it with me.
Now where did I leave my scrabble board?