watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Tom Cleverley petition

Started by Blanco, March 04, 2014, 10:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

It was an apalling "initiative" which deserves to be treated with utter contempt.

FulhamFCMiss

If the England manager decides he is one of the best for a WC squad, then who is anybody other than the FA to argue?

I can only assume from some of the comments and the petition that Roy has become a shell of who he was when with Fulham, but the FA seem to have faith in him, and so shouldn't we?

alfie

Quote from: Pluto on March 04, 2014, 11:29:43 PM
Cleverley is awful and shouldn't be near the squad but as a young guy I do feel a bit sorry for him. It's not his fault he's being picked even though he clearly isn't good enough.

Frankly Roy shouldn't have put him in this position and picked players who are actually in form such as Barry, Huddlestone, Delph or even Sidwell.

The trouble is if the premier clubs did not have so many foreign players signed maybe a few of our youngsters would get a look in.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Julius Geezer

It's only Liverpool, Man City and Leeds fans who have signed it anyway!

He doesn't deserve to be in the squad right now but making a petition? Some people have too much time on their hands!

fulhamben

Quote from: HatterDon on March 05, 2014, 01:54:28 PM
So, basically, this thread is about how clueless Roy Hodgson is and how he's ruining England's chances of performing well in Brazil by picking players "everybody" "knows" aren't good enough.

Or am I reading this wrong.
well I don't agree with Roy's tactics or team selection for 95% of the time. I can honestly see us getting zero points in Brazil. And if we lose tonight I can see some more media turn on him
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

fulhamben

Quote from: FulhamFCMiss on March 05, 2014, 05:54:57 PM
If the England manager decides he is one of the best for a WC squad, then who is anybody other than the FA to argue?

I can only assume from some of the comments and the petition that Roy has become a shell of who he was when with Fulham, but the FA seem to have faith in him, and so shouldn't we?
the fa would soon take notice if fans stopped going to these drab friendlies that Roy keeps serving up
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Jem

Now talksport have started a petition to make Cleverley captain of Man U. I understand that they are trying to address the balance but is this what we are coming to, Team selection by consensus? God help us.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Nero

Quote from: Jem on March 07, 2014, 08:02:45 PM
Now talksport have started a petition to make Cleverley captain of Man U. I understand that they are trying to address the balance but is this what we are coming to, Team selection by consensus? God help us.

Team by consensus isnt a good idea we tried it will Rene, Ray & Al it didn't work

HatterDon

with complete respect and affection for all who contributed to this thread -- this is one of the stupidest premises for a thread in the history of Friends of fulham.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

General

Quote from: Blanco on March 04, 2014, 10:49:27 PM
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26442914

Over 10 000 signatures were obtained on a post saying that Cleverley was "inept" to play for England in the World Cup.

Do you agree with this? It is never nice to single out players but I think there is a valid point. Why should Cleverley play for England? He isn't really International quality, at least this season.

Let's write a petition for Sidwell to play!

There are lots of amazing things to be thankful for modern means of communication - sadly though whilst it gives a lot of time to intellectual debate and interesting and meaningful things, it also gives a voice and a quite powerful one to the numerous idiots that are around too and gives them misplaced confidence with it.

callumc513

Quote from: alfie on March 05, 2014, 06:52:08 PM
Quote from: Pluto on March 04, 2014, 11:29:43 PM
Cleverley is awful and shouldn't be near the squad but as a young guy I do feel a bit sorry for him. It's not his fault he's being picked even though he clearly isn't good enough.

Frankly Roy shouldn't have put him in this position and picked players who are actually in form such as Barry, Huddlestone, Delph or even Sidwell.

The trouble is if the premier clubs did not have so many foreign players signed maybe a few of our youngsters would get a look in.

Plain wrong.

aaronmcguigan

Flip the coin. The youngsters are happy to sit on the bench and pick up the wages. There is a wealth of opportunity throughout Europe and beyond if any of these youngsters actually wanted to better themselves.
It may be the best league in the world but worth nothing if you just warm the bench.
Obviously this isn't related to the Cleverley situation.. But when you say youngsters dont get a look in because of foreigners, it's very narrow minded. The youngsters don't get a look in because they choose not to leave this country. Yes culture and language comes into it but doesn't the lazy attitude of not wanting to learn a new language prove the point about the young English/British /British isles / whatever term of today ?

Twig

Quote from: aaronmcguigan on March 08, 2014, 09:51:37 AM
Flip the coin. The youngsters are happy to sit on the bench and pick up the wages. There is a wealth of opportunity throughout Europe and beyond if any of these youngsters actually wanted to better themselves.
It may be the best league in the world but worth nothing if you just warm the bench.

I agree and have been arguing the same for years. Talented young British players need to show they have the self confidence and courage to take a step overseas as part of their development.  Then top English clubs will see them playing regular first team football in decent leagues and make offers that won't result merely in benchwarming.

Oh yes and I live and work overseas (but ok am not and never was a talented footballer, more's the pity).