more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (07/03/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 06, 2014, 07:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

MARCELLO TROTTA SCORES FOR ITALY U-21

Brentford's on-loan striker Marcello Trotta marks Italy Under-21 debut with goal

Brentford's on-loan striker Marcello Trotta scored on his debut for the Italian Under-21 side last night.

The 21-year-old is on loan at Brentford from Fulham for the 2013/14 season, his second spell at Griffin Park.

He has scored in two training matches for Italy's Under-21 side and made his debut as a second half substitute against Northern Ireland in a 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championships qualifier yesterday, Wednesday March 5.

The game was 0-0 at the time but Italy went ahead and Marcello sealed the win with a goal a minute from time.

It was Italy's fourth win in six qualifying games.

They are currently third in Qualifying Group Nine with 12 points, a point behind joint leaders Belgium and Serbia with two games remaining.

Read more at http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/trotta-italy-goal-06.03.14-1400880.aspx?#iuzXD9yy2JtgoHIs.99

WhiteJC

Arthurworrey is a 'big' player for Rovers says McMahon

Caretaker boss: "He adds a lot of good qualities to the team and has  shown he has a lot of passion for this club"

Tranmere's Stephen Arthurworrey in action in the air against Oldham Athletic's keeper Mark Oxley at Prenton Park Photo by James Maloney

Teenager Stephen Arthurworrey  is learning fast in the  demanding environment of League One football and playing an increasingly important part in Tranmere's battle for survival, says caretaker manager John McMahon.

Rovers secured another month-long extension on the 19-year-old centre back's loan from Fulham this week.

It means McMahon should be able to leave in place the centre back partnership of Arthurworrey and Ash Taylor which has helped to stabilise the back four since the turn of the year.

McMahon said: "It was important for us to hold onto Stephen because he is showing good signs of progress and development. He is a big player for the team now.

"People tend to forget he is only a young kid and this is his first taste of league experience.

"He adds a lot of good qualities to the team and has  shown he has a lot of passion for this club. I admire that.

"He has had to learn fast. I think we all have."

Arthurworrey was recruited at the beginning of January after Tranmere had struggled through the first half of the season to establish a stable back line.

The youngster's previous experience was over two seasons in Fulham's under 21 team. But he adjusted quickly to the demands of the more intense environment of League One football and established a centre back partnership with Taylor.

Arthurworrey will be looking to make his 11th consecutive appearance in Tranmere's League One visit to fellow strugglers Stevenage this weekend.

McMahon points out that Arthurworrey  is a different kind of player and character to Ben Gibson, the young centre back Tranmere signed on loan from Middlesbrough last season.

He said: "Stephen is a quiet lad naturally and he is developing the social side of his game, talking and organising in the dressing room and on the pitch.

"Gibbo is a different type of player. He has  more leadership qualities. He can talk and organise. He is a bit more dynamic.

"But Stephen goes about his job in the right way."

The partnership with the more experienced Taylor is improving, McMahon says. "There is still work to be done," he said. "They are  starting to know each other's game is a bit better. It is not just the two of them. They have to know the full backs and marry it all together.

"We need to tweak aspects of the performance, which we are working on in training this week."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-arthurworrey-big-player-tranmere-6778843?

WhiteJC

International Round-Up

Muamer Tanković made his international debut as a Sweden side featuring Alexander Kačaniklić lost 2-1 in Turkey on Wednesday night.

Mevlut Erdinc put Turkey in front after two minutes, before Ola Toivonen levelled for Sweden on 54. Olcan Adin put the hosts back into the lead on 57 with Tanković entering the fray in the 67th minute. Kačaniklić played the full 90.

Elsewhere, Kostas Mitroglou played for just under an hour as Greece went down to a 2-0 defeat to South Korea. Chu-Young Park volleyed the visitors in front before Greece hit the woodwork three times.

Heung-Min Son then won it for South Korea on 55 minutes against a Greece side that introduced Giorgos Karagounis for the start of the second half.

Elsad Zverotić was a 55th-minute substitute as Montenegro defeated Ghana 1-0 thanks to an early penalty by Dejan Damjanovic.

Brede Hangeland completed the full 90 minutes to show no ill effects from his head injury at the weekend as Norway drew 2-2 in the Czech Republic. Tanik Elyounoussi cancelled out Tomas Rosicky's opener before Matej Vydra put the hosts back in front just before half-time. But Morten Gamst Pedersen ensured honours finished even when he struck with two minutes remaining.

William Kvist (pictured) played the full match as Denmark were defeated 1-0 by England at Wembley. Daniel Sturridge scored the only goal of the game in the 82nd minute.

Ashkan Dejagah claimed an assist as he played 86 minutes for Iran in a 2-1 home defeat to Guinea in Tehran. AC Milan midfielder Kevin Constant put the visitors ahead on 34 with a long-range strike before Ibrahima Traore doubled the advantage in similar fashion three minutes later.

Reza Ghoochannejhad pulled one back 10 minutes into the second half after converting Dejagah's cross from the right.

Iran will head to Austria to face Belarus, Montenegro and Angola in friendly matches in May before making their third World Cup appearance in June.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/06/int-round-up?

WhiteJC

International Youth Round-Up

Josh Pritchard started and George Williams made his Wales Under-21 debut as a late substitute in their 1-0 European Championship Qualifiers Group 1 loss to England on Wednesday night.

Both sides had chances to take the lead during an even opening half in Derby, but Nathan Redmond's powerful effort in the 56th minute sealed victory to send Gareth Southgate's men six points clear.

Williams was introduced in the 83rd minute for Fulham teammate Pritchard.

Lasse Vigen Christensen played the full 90 minutes and grabbed a brace as Denmark Under-21s ripped nine-man Estonia apart in Group 2 with an 8-0 victory.

The rout began when the Fulham man was fouled in the penalty area with just 12 minutes played. Estonia defender Aleksandr Kulinitš was dismissed for the offence and Pierre Højbjerg made no mistake from the spot.

Just three minutes later it was 2-0, with Estonia again having a man sent off for a foul in the area. This time Højbjerg saw his kick saved, but was on hand to finish off the rebound.

Former Cardiff City striker Andreas Cornelius grabbed a third shortly after, with Yussuf Poulsen and Nicolaj Thomsen adding to the scoreline after half-time. Christensen then bagged his first of the evening on 67, with Thomsen notching his second and Denmark's seventh four minutes later.

And, with six minutes remaining, Christensen had the final say with his second of the night as Denmark maintained their unbeaten campaign in style.

In Group 9, Marcello Trotta and Liam Donnelly went up against each other but it was the striker who came out on top as Italy beat Northern Ireland 2-0, with the on-loan Brentford man notching the second goal.

Donnelly played the entire game while Trotta entered the action as a 56th-minute substitute, with Italy then taking the lead just before the hour through Daniele Rugani. The Italians got a deserved second when Trotta netted in the 89th minute. The result leaves Italy third and Northern Ireland bottom of the group.

Pajtim Kasami captained Switzerland to a comfortable 5-1 victory over Liechtenstein in Group 5, scoring a fine goal to cap an excellent evening's work.

Pierluigi Tami's team led 3-0 at half-time through Remo Freuler, Kasami and Michael Frey, before Silvan Widmer stretched the lead further four minutes after the restart. Simon Kühne pulled one back for the visitors, before Haris Tabakovic completed the scoring in added time to leave the Swiss three points behind Croatia.

Jack Grimmer made his Scotland Under-21s debut as a 57th-minute in their 2-2 friendly draw with Hungary at Tannadice. Callum McGregor put Scotland in front after 25 minutes with a low free-kick and Ryan Fraser tapped home their second just before the break. Hungary pulled one back from the spot on 68 through Rado and the same player grabbed an equaliser with just three minutes remaining.

Cameron Burgess played the full 90 as Scotland Under-19s won 4-2 against Switzerland in Livingston.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/06/under-21-round-up?

WhiteJC

Consummate Professional

A studious professional whose commitment to the game is unquestionable, like all top sportsmen and women Scott Parker holds a deep desire to succeed. His path to the top is an intriguing narrative, one laced with character and resolve.

At former club Tottenham Hotspur, Parker developed a keen interest in the players that were emerging from the North London side's academy. Similar attention has been noted here at Fulham, where he has been spotted taking in the games of our young hopefuls - players that could learn a lot from his own experiences in the game.

"I'm coming to a stage of my career where I've started to enjoy that side of things," explained Scott to the Club's official magazine Fultime. "I've always tried to follow the young players of the club I've been playing for, as they're the future if you like. If I can help in any way, then I will because I remember how difficult it can be at that age.

"When I made my breakthrough the game was very different, it was more old school and the senior pros tended to keep themselves in their own groups. It was hard, because you didn't always feel part of things. You either buckled or stood up, and I had to fight my way through.

"My biggest advice for the boys that are emerging now would be to understand that to be a footballer isn't solely about talent. Of course, you need that natural ability, but it can be a rocky road of emotions. You need to be strong physically and mentally.

"But when I look at the lads that are starting to break through here at Fulham, as unpredictable as their path may be, it's also very exciting. Football is a game of fine lines and margins, and they'll need a bit of luck, everyone does at times. But if they can work hard, listen to their coaches and make the most of their opportunity then they have a chance."

Having first flirted with fame in 1994 as the floppy-haired 13-year-old star of a McDonald's World Cup advert, it's fair to say that Parker has enjoyed a significant career in the game.

After starting his career at Charlton Athletic, he joined Chelsea in a £10m move in January 2004. A switch to Newcastle United followed with Parker then signing for West Ham United in June 2007.

It was at Upton Park where the player was named Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year, while in the colours of Tottenham Hotspur he was handed the England captain's armband for a game against the Netherlands at Wembley.

"It's funny, because even now people still ask about that McDonald's advert," said Scott. "It was a bit of fun, and my kids laugh at it now. I didn't get paid in burgers either, it was straight cash.

"When I look back it's incredible to see how things have panned out. I've had a great career but, at the same time, I feel I have many years ahead of me. There's still a chapter or two left, that's for sure. I'm not really someone that looks back on what I could have achieved or what I could have done differently, I just appreciate the opportunity to have given it a go."

To read the full version of Scott's story, as well as an in-depth interview with Kieran Richardson, be sure to pick up your copy of the spring edition of Fultime. The latest issue also features Shahid Khan, Alan Mullery, Luis Boa Morte, Sean Davis and a profile on Felix Magath.

The traditional printed version of Fultime is sent to all our Season Ticket Holders for free, while the digital edition – with added video content – now goes to our Members.

For non-Season Ticket Holders and non-Members, Fultime is also available to buy instore or online for £3.50. It can also be downloaded as an App. Priced £2.49, the App is available via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags.

*Photography by Joe Miles

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/06/parker-fultime?

WhiteJC

Fulham move still 'good decision' for Heitinga

In the thick of it: Johnny Heitinga battles against Chelsea's Eden Hazard

John Heitinga insists he has no regrets about joining Fulham, even though Rene Meulensteen was sacked just two weeks after bringing him to Craven Cottage.

Meulensteen persuaded fellow Dutchman Heitinga to sign from Everton on a free transfer in January but he was replaced by Felix Magath two games later.

Despite a managerial change so soon into his Fulham career and his new side being rooted to the bottom of the Premier League, Heitinga remains convinced he made the right decision. The defender, who has started both games since Magath took over, is determined to help Fulham avoid relegation and boost his chances of being selected in the Holland squad for the World Cup.

"I had a few other options but Fulham was a good decision and still is a good decision," said Heitinga, who signed a contract until the end of the season after turning down a move to West Ham.

"Felix has done really well in the past with his former teams. He is a tough manager, he makes you work really hard and that is what we need at the moment. The main thing for me is to get [playing] time, keep Fulham in the Premier League and make the World Cup."

Fulham are four points from safety and travel to 19th-placed Cardiff on Saturday in a crucial game at the bottom of the table.

Heitinga said: "I knew before I signed here that this was going to be a tough period. We know that we are in a situation where we need to win and stick together."

Meanwhile, Kostas Mitroglou started for Greece last night despite being left out of Fulham's squad to face Chelsea on Saturday because of concerns over his fitness.

Mitroglou, who has made just one substitute appearance since joining Fulham for £12million in January, played 60 minutes against South Korea in Athens.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-move-still-good-decision-for-heitinga-9173454.html

WhiteJC

A Sell-Out At The Cottage

Newcastle United's away allocation at Fulham later this month has sold out.

The Magpies travel to Craven Cottage in Barclays Premier League action on Saturday, 15th March (3pm kick-off), looking to complete the double over their opponents, having triumphed 1-0 back in August.

round 2,900 travelling supporters are set to pack out the away end at Fulham to hopefully roar United on to yet another away-day victory on the back of triumphs at Aston Villa, Cardiff, Tottenham, Manchester United, Crystal Palace, West Ham and Hull already this term.

Despite the sell-out, fans can still secure their seat for United's next two top flight home games, against Crystal Palace and Everton. For more information, click here.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20140306/a-sell-out-at-the-cottage_2281670_3700042?

WhiteJC

Can Mitroglou inspire Greece to do the unthinkable?

Teams should fear Mitroglou. (©GettyImages)

The Greek national team have always been looked at as underdogs when it comes to international competitions.

After their shock European Cup win in 2004, the Greeks have fallen back into the shadows but may emerge as heroes in Brazil with the help of Kostas Mitroglou.

The Greeks have always been categorised as a defensive team, dating back to their 2004 Euro Cup victor, taking on a very conservative approach in the past, usually leaving only one striker far forward on the pitch.

Greece may still have this mentality but with Mitroglou now at the striker position, they are a dangerous offensive threat.

Mitroglou has been with the national team since 2009 but only recently emerged as an important player for the squad, helping them get through the World Cup qualifiers with his offensive skill.

It's no secret that the only Euro Cup winners still on the Greek team, Karagounis and Katsouranis are ageing quickly and will likely retire from international football after this World Cup.

Although it will be sad for Greece to see these players for the last time, it has to be reassuring that they have such a talent in Mitroglou who is only 25-years-old and is likely to have a great impact for Greece in years to come.

In late January of this year Mitroglou left Greek club Olympiacos to join English club Fulham, joining his Greek teammate, Giorgos Karagounis and signing a four and a half year contract for £11million. A great deal for a young talent that has yet to reach his peak.

Even with Mitroglou, it is not likely that Greece will win the World Cup. Then again it wasn't likely that they would win the Euro Cup in 2004.

It may not be likely but it is possible, can Mitroglou help lead Greece to the glory that they had 10 years ago in Portugal? Only time will tell.

http://www.givemesport.com/439108-can-mitroglou-inspire-greece-to-do-the-unthinkable?autoplay=on

WhiteJC

TEAM NEWS: Mitroglou and Kvist only doubts for Fulham's trip to Cardiff

FULHAM boss Felix Magath admits that only Konstantinos Mitroglou and William Kvist are doubts for his side's trip to Cardiff.

Mitroglou remains a doubt for Saturday's trip to Cardiff [GETTY]

January signing Mitroglou has played just 30 minutes for the Londoners, but remains a doubt for Saturday's fixture after playing for Greece on Wednesday night.

And Magath claims he needs players who are ready to play full games as his side fight for survival in the Premier League.

"Now he has gone to the national team and he has played 60 minutes. He will come back today but he is not match fit - he has muscle problems now.

"We need a player in our situation that is prepared for 90 minutes. We have a relegation fight.

Kvist, FulhamKvist only other doubt as Fulham travel to Cardiff [GETTY]

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/463372/TEAM-NEWS-Mitroglou-and-Kvist-only-doubts-for-Fulham-s-trip-to-Cardiff

WhiteJC

Speechless

This...

I mean...

What a complete and utter balls up.

I hope we kept the receipt.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/speechless/?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath 'relaxed' about relegation fight

Defeat by Cardiff City on Saturday would not spell the end for Fulham's Premier League survival chances, head coach Felix Magath said on Thursday.

Fulham, stranded at the bottom of the table on 21 points from 28 matches and without a win in eight league games, could leapfrog Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's 19th-placed side with victory at the Cardiff City Stadium.

"I'm convinced that we will avoid relegation because we've developed in the last 14 days," said Magath, who was appointed last month.

"The team is growing together and that is what makes me sure that we can avoid relegation."

Magath said his side needed a win to boost their confidence, but that they were relaxed about their situation.

"We have a good schedule for the last 10 games because most of the teams that play in the Champions League we have played, except Manchester City," he said.

"I get the feeling here that everybody knows that and everybody sleeps well with the knowledge that there are games ahead of us that we can win.

"We are in London, we are not in Cardiff or Sunderland where the whole city is interested in playing Premier League.

"The atmosphere here is really relaxed for the situation we are in; it's not typical for a team fighting against relegation.

"We have to be aware that we are not only dreaming, but everybody has to put in a shift and push the team and push the players to give their best."

Magath will be without Kostas Mitroglou, who has played just 30 minutes for the Londoners since joining from Olympiakos in January, after the Greek striker took part in an international on Wednesday.

"He has gone to the national team and he has played 60 minutes," added Magath, who has overseen a draw and a defeat in his first two games in charge.

"He will come back today but he is not match fit - he has muscle problems now.

"We need a player in our situation that is prepared for 90 minutes. We have a relegation fight."

Mitroglou's situation has confused Fulham fans, but Magath insists it is unfair to heap hopes on a player who will take time to adapt to English football.

"The Premier League is the best league in the world, so it cannot be compared with the Greek League," Magath said. Every player who comes from the Greek League needs a few weeks to adapt.

"You cannot expect such a lot from a player who is new in the Premier League. You have to give him time to adapt.

"We know that and we make a contract with Mitroglu not for the game against Liverpool or Manchester United, but for the last games."

As a result Mitroglou was not risked for last week's loss to Chelsea. Magath added: "Why should I spoil him in a game like Chelsea? Chelsea is the best defending team in the league and so we would get not many chances against Chelsea.

"He's new and he needs confidence, too. To get used is not good for him and not good for us."

Lewis Holtby, on loan from Tottenham, also did not start. The forward, who played under Magath at Schalke, has been told he is not the right sort of player for a relegation fight, but may be given a chance against Cardiff, where he may have more space to play to his strengths.

"We are not in a normal situation," said Magath. "Now is not the time to play very well, now is the time to fight. Lewis Holtby is not a fighter. He is very smart, he is a very skilful offensive player who has very good passes."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english-league/2014/0306/600590-magath-fulham-relaxed-about-relegation-fight/?

WhiteJC

Fulham survival bid is most difficult test, says Felix Magath

Felix Magath says trying to keep Fulham in the league is the toughest test of his managerial career, but is adamant the team will remain in the top flight.

The Cottagers are bottom with 21 points with 10 matches left, a point behind Cardiff, whom they visit on Saturday.

Magath won three Bundesliga titles, but said: "It's the most difficult because now we are behind the other teams."

The 60-year-old German added: "The team is growing together and that is what makes me sure we can avoid relegation."

Magath, the first German to manage in the Premier League, replaced Rene Meulensteen - who was only in charge for 17 matches - at Craven Cottage on 14 February.

He also won the Bundesliga three times as a player with Hamburg between 1978-1983, appearing in the same team as former England international and manager Kevin Keegan.

In a similarly distinguished coaching career he won successive titles with Bayern Munich in 2005 and 2006, and captured a third title with Wolfsburg in 2009.

Magath's first two matches at the Fulham helm have resulted in a 1-1 draw at West Brom and a 3-1 defeat last time out at home to Chelsea.

However, five of Fulham's final six matches are against teams currently in the bottom half of the table.

"The best confidence you can get is if you win," he said. "We need a win for our confidence.

"If I look at the schedules I know we have quite a good schedule in the last 10 games.

"I am convinced we will avoid relegation because we have developed in the last 14 days. Everybody has to put in a shift and push the team to give their best."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26472475

WhiteJC

We`re a Different Team Now!

As Fulham prepare to travel to South Wales, to take on Cardiff City, in a mega-relegation battle, Felix Magath has again tried to rally the troops.

Our German manager is convinced (unlike me) that Fulham will survive in the Premier League and reckons we`re a different outfit to what we were 14 days ago.

At his pre-match press conference, Magath had this to say,

'I'm convinced that we will avoid relegation because we've developed in the last 14 days. The team is growing together and that is what makes me sure that we can avoid relegation."

'These three points are very important for us, not only to step up from the last place, we need a win for ourselves, for our confidence.'

'I get the feeling here that everybody knows and everybody sleeps well with the knowledge there are games ahead of us we can win. We are in London, we are not in Cardiff or Sunderland where the whole city is interested in playing Premier League."

'The atmosphere here is really relaxed for the situation we are in; it's not typical for a team fighting against relegation.'

Then perhaps Felix that might be the problem!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=351840#ixzz2vDFA8QAb

WhiteJC

Fulham with plenty of explaining to do for the Kostas Mitroglou debacle

Kostas Mitroglou is injured. Again.

With Fulham manager Felix Magath confirming the Greek tweaked his hamstring on international duty, there are a myriad of questions that fans are demanding answers to.

The Cottagers are bottom of the league, and with relegation a major possibility Magath has maintained that Mitroglou is not fit enough even for bench duty.

Mind you, the 25-year-old is no ordinary January transfer target.

Having bagged 14 goals in 12 Greek Super League matches for Olympiakos, Fulham shelled out a club-record $20 million looking to save their Premier League status.

The transfer sum broke Fulham's previous record signing – Steve Marlet. That name conjures demonic thoughts in the minds of many Fulham fans, as the French striker proved a massive flop at Craven Cottage.

Marlet scored 11 goals in 54 Fulham appearances between 2001-2005, and his performances were so poor they caused former owner Mohamed Al Fayed to sue then-manager Jean Tigana for the ridiculous $19.3 million transfer fee.

Fans were eager to purge those painful memories, and Mitroglou's signing was a promising step towards both erasing Marlet from the Fulham record books and bolstering an offense not capable of making up for a porous defense.

But none of that has happened.

Instead of leading a Whites charge out of the relegation zone, Mitroglou has spent a grand total of 30 minutes on the pitch for Fulham, and he looked utterly baffled in both mind and body.

Magath left the Greek out of their match last weekend at Chelsea, confirming his striker wasn't injured, just plain unfit.

Then, despite this allegation, the club released Mitroglou to play in the international break.  The decision is a baffling one, and sure enough the striker pulled his hammy after an hour.

So we come full circle to the original question – who in the heck sanctioned a club-record transfer for a player who can't last a half hour in the Premier League before looking exhausted, and can't go an hour in international competition without getting injured?

If you believe ousted Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen, the transfer decisions were almost solely in the hands of longtime CEO Alistair Mackintosh.  A former member of Manchester City's front office, Mackintosh is a fan-favorite at Craven Cottage, having orchestrated the club's rise from Premier League newbies to Europa League contenders.

But in the last few years, Mackintosh was handcuffed by a transfer policy dominated by frees and cheap journeymen purchases. The policy often caused former manager Martin Jol to say Fulham were required to be "creative" in the transfer market.

Now, the squad is full of these players, and Mackintosh needed to make a splash to rescue Fulham's Premier League status.  Using an injection of cash by new owner Shad Khan, he failed to rope in Steven Defour but cashing in on Mitroglou along with Lewis Holtby.

Unfortunately, the Greek's arrival has only produced more questions than answers at the front of Fulham's attack. When will he play? Why was this purchase sanctioned if it took just a set of eyes to see he's not fit? Will he stay if Fulham are relegated?

With Dimitar Berbatov gone to Monaco and just Darren Bent left at Fulham to run the attack, the future remains bleak for Fulham's season, and Mackintosh has plenty of explaining to do after flushing money down the toilet on obviously damaged goods.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/06/fulham-with-plenty-of-explaining-to-do-when-it-comes-to-kostas-mitroglou/?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath's optimism is hard to replicate as Fulham shambles continues

Felix Magath has made some bold decisions since joining Fulham. (Picture: Reuters)
Felix Magath is convinced Fulham will not be relegated this season, trapped as he is in a sphere of pleasant optimism.

Unfortunately, it's not a view that is particularly widespread – not in the media, not even in the club's fan base.

There is certainly hope – there will always be hope – but the more this dreary, disheartening season drags on, the more remote our chances of Premier League survival become.

Saturday's tie against Cardiff City is probably the most significant this club has faced since that fateful day in Hamburg just under four years ago.

In Germany, in those heady days of excellence, though, things were quite different. Fulham were an organised team, both on and off the pitch while, now, we resemble a shambles more fitting to a soap opera than Match of the Day.

Magath, again strangely upbeat, fell short of calling the Cardiff game a 'must win'. If we lose, he said, we are by no means down.

These are all merely words, however, and they don't mask the ineptitude that has plagued our club for nearly a year now.

Martin Jol's sub-mediocrity was endured for far too long while replacing him proved to be a shoddy, somewhat unethical process.

Then there is Rene Meulensteen's removal – baffling to say the least.

But the incompetence continues. Kostas Mitroglou is still not ready to feature for the first eleven, over a month after joining the club.

That's not to say he is not talented and that he won't make a difference, but who exactly sanctioned an £11 million deal on a player that, conceivably, they knew wouldn't feature straight away?

And Lewis Holtby's exclusion from the 3-1 defeat to Chelsea is still hard to reasonably justify. Magath, naturally, defended his decision in an unfairly scathing manner.

'Holtby is not a fighter,' he claimed. Instead, it was our new manager's decision to rely on Clint Dempsey, a midfielder who, in the politest of terms, hasn't endeared himself to anybody on his return to England.

His attitude is commendable but his form certainly isn't.

All Magath really did, then, was revert to the old – to the tried, tested (and failed) – by calling upon Jol's old favourites. Experience is key, of course, but it is not absolute.

In leaving Holtby out, he merely condemned our best player to the sidelines. When has that ever worked?

So, forgive me Felix if I'm not as cheerful as you.

All that remains is hope.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/06/felix-magaths-optimism-is-hard-to-replicate-as-fulham-shambles-continues-4448203/?

WhiteJC

Damien Duff to miss remainder of Fulham season

Fulham have been rocked by the news that Damien Duff will miss the club's relegation battle after being ruled out for the remainder of the season.

The 35-year-old has been sidelined with a knee injury since the FA Cup defeat to Sheffield United last month, and coach Felix Magath confirmed the Irishman's prolonged absence.

He told reporters: "We expect Damien Duff will not play again this season because of a knee injury that happened three weeks ago."

Duff, whose contract at Craven Cottage expires this summer, joins the likes of Fernando Amorebieta and Scott Parker on Magath's injury list ahead of Saturday's crucial clash with fellow strugglers Cardiff City in South Wales.

The Cottagers sit rooted to the foot of the Premier League table, four points adrift of safety.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/duff-to-miss-remainder-of-fulham-season_142849.html

WhiteJC

John Heitinga: 'I do not regret signing for Fulham'

John Heitinga has insisted that he does not regret joining Fulham despite the club's precarious position in the Premier League.

The Dutch defender made the switch from Everton in the January transfer window after reportedly rejecting the opportunity to sign for West Ham United, who are currently 10th in the table.

"I had a few other options but Fulham was a good decision and still is a good decision," Heitinga told the Chronicle.

"Felix [Magath] has done really well in the past with his former teams. He is a tough manager, he makes you work really hard and that is what we need at the moment.

"I knew before I signed here that this was going to be a tough period. We know that we are in a situation where we need to win and stick together."

Heitinga was signed by Rene Meulensteen, who lost his job at Craven Cottage and was replaced by Magath just weeks after the defender's arrival.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/heitinga-i-dont-regret-joining-fulham_142863.html

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Cardiff v Fulham

Both of these clubs have gone with a manager who has never worked in the Premier League before to try to keep them up but, with Felix Magath, the Cottagers have someone with vast experience.

While Magath has been there, seen it, done it all and had success in relegation battles, Cardiff boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is still learning his trade.

Although Solskjaer's appointment was great news for him, I think it is far more of a gamble for a team trying to avoid relegation than bringing Magath in.

Cardiff's home form was always going to be key in keeping them up and it has not been good enough.

Since beating Swansea on 3 November, the Bluebirds have won only two out of nine home league games.

I cannot see them getting three points here, either. On the face of it, a point is also not much good to Fulham but it might turn out to be something for Magath to build on.

Lawro's prediction: 1-1
Woody's prediction: Fulham have got a new manager who is a bit of a dictator, or so I hear. Maybe he will frighten them into a result. 0-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26426595

WhiteJC

Nothing short of victory will do for Ole

Cardiff boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is going all out for a win against Fulham after admitting a draw would be of no use to either side.

Second-bottom Cardiff take on rock-bottom Fulham on Saturday with the losers facing the prospect of being cut adrift at the foot of the table with games quickly running out. The Bluebirds boss has challenged his side to win half of their remaining 10 games and he knows that must start at home against fellow strugglers Fulham. Solskjaer is predicting an entertaining attacking game as a result of the need for victory for both sides. "It's a winnable game, against a team in the same situation as us," he said. "It will be two teams that have to go out there and try to win the game. A draw would be no good for either of us, so I think you will see some positive football from both sides."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/cardiff-city/nothing-short-of-victory-will-do-for-ole-1716135.html?

WhiteJC

Time is running out! Why Cardiff City must beat Fulham this weekend

Every game has been a 'must win' game recently. But when does a 'must win' become a 'really must win' clash? It's when you play Fulham. The only team below you in the race for the bottom.

Yeah, we probably did need to beat Spurs last week. And the home game against Hull was a big opportunity missed. But Fulham represents a whole new level of massive. A whole new level of 'must win'.

Cardiff City are floundering their way to relegation. Week on week they've outdone themselves with new levels of incompetence. Now they have to rectify it.

We beat Fulham at Craven Cottage with a last gasp winner from Jordon Mutch and the players within Cardiff's ranks should be able to take three points on offer this weekend.

But I wouldn't put it past Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to pull a curve ball and play another random selection team. It's as if he is drawing his teams out of the hat.

Now, he likes attacking football. Or so we keep hearing. So let's play our best attackers; Mats Daehli, Craig Noone and Mutch.

It's no real coincidence that Mutch's absence has seen us look completely blunt going forward. He drives us on whilst Medel anchors the midfield. Get Mutch back in the middle and build the team around him.

Noone was injured at Spurs and should be brought back in. He is exactly what any team needs on the wing. He is pacey, skilful and gets crosses into the box.

Daehli, on the other wing, brings another dimension. He's a bright spark who always wants the ball and always looks to make something happen.

We looked better against Spurs but we looked awful against Hull. The players need to find a new dimension against Fulham.

There isn't long left of the season and slowly, the games are sliding away from us. In a few weeks time, it could pretty much be over. The fightback must start Saturday.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/07/time-is-running-out-why-cardiff-city-must-beat-fulham-this-weekend-4449481/?