more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (07/03/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 06, 2014, 07:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Changing Man

At the time of Kieran Richardson's debut for Manchester United in 2002, Fulham were taking their fledgling steps back in the top flight in what was their second season of Premier League football. A lot has happened for both player and club since.

Richardson is happy with his lot. Married to model Natalie with whom he has a two-year-old daughter, River, he admits he's a very different man to the one found frequenting Manchester and London nightclubs a few years ago.

"If you compare me from when I was 22 to now, I'm a completely different person," he tells Fultime. "All I really cared about was going out, clothing and looking good. Obviously you mature as you get older as well but my outlook on life has totally changed now. I was more about going out, partying and having a good time. But now I'm a family man and that lifestyle has gone."

Richardson is one of those players who seem to have been around for a long time. Indeed, it's just under 12 years since he burst onto the scene as a teenager at Manchester United, making his debut as a late substitute in a UEFA Champions League tie away to Olympiakos in October 2002.

Fast forward to 2012 and he was on his way to SW6 for an undisclosed fee from Sunderland with eight England caps and FA Youth Cup, League Cup and Premier League winner's medals from his time at Old Trafford.

His first season with the Whites proved somewhat frustrating for Richardson who admits: "I had a lot of injuries, niggling injuries, that kept me out here and there. That was annoying but that's part of football, you have to get through it and it can only make you stronger. This season has been much, much better. I've still had a few little niggles but I've played a lot of games this season and I'm enjoying myself."

To read the full interview with Richardson, be sure to pick up your copy of the spring edition of Fultime. The latest issue also features Shahid Khan, Scott Parker, Alan Mullery, Luis Boa Morte, Sean Davis and a profile on Felix Magath.

The traditional printed version of Fultime is sent to all our Season Ticket Holders for free, while the digital edition – with added video content – now goes to our Members.

For non-Season Ticket Holders and non-Members, Fultime is also available to buy instore or online for £3.50. It can also be downloaded as an App. Priced £2.49, the App is available via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags.

*Photography by Joe Miles

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/07/richardson-fultime-plug?

WhiteJC

Cardiff v Fulham

By Steve Bower
BBC Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Cardiff City Stadium Date: Saturday, 8 March

TEAM NEWS

Cardiff will assess Craig Noone and Andrew Taylor, both of whom missed the defeat at Tottenham through injury.

The Bluebirds switched to a 3-5-2 formation against Spurs, and manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has hinted he will persevere with the system.

Fulham striker Kostas Mitroglou could feature despite a slight hamstring problem and lack of match fitness.

Damien Duff, Scott Parker and Fernando Amorebieta are all ruled out, while William Kvist is unlikely to be fit.

MATCH PREVIEW

We are all occasionally guilty of exaggerating the importance of a match, but in this case there's no danger of that - it is absolutely crucial. Some have the bottom two written off already, but both sides will be aware that when facing a relegation rival at this stage, a win is a must to ignite a great escape bid.

This match features two managers who were only appointed this year, who are both in charge in the Premier League for the first time and in desperate need of a lift.

For Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, it is Cardiff's first home game since the 4-0 defeat by Hull, which prompted him to cancel the club's warm weather training plans in the Middle East.

That's one of six defeats in his eight league games in charge so far. If there is to be a recovery they have to do better at the Cardiff City Stadium where they still have to face Liverpool, Crystal Palace, Stoke and Chelsea.

The real concern is their goal tally, 19, which is the joint lowest in the league. Worryingly, they have not found the back of the net in 11 of their last 16 matches. They are crying out for a natural finisher in the mould of their manager in his prime.

You sense if Cardiff's attack doesn't fire against the division's leakiest defence, which has now conceded 62 goals, then it never will.

Fulham have been bottom since the beginning of last month but know a win would take them above Cardiff. It's only Felix Magath's third match, but the team has now lost 15 of their last 20 league games. It is a mentality that is incredibly difficult to change overnight.

The two clubs have only 11 league wins between them all season. It will be full of tension and nerves but a rare three points for either might just give them a much-needed Premier League lifeline.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Cardiff are chasing a third successive league win against Fulham.

Victory would see the Bluebirds do the double over a top-flight opponent for the first time since September 1961. That month they beat Chelsea home and away in the space of a fortnight.

The last goalless draw in this fixture came at Ninian Park on 11 December 1974.

Cardiff City
The Welsh side have only won one of their last 12 league games (D2, L9).
They have failed to score in their last four Premier League games, and in seven of the previous nine.
In total, they have failed to score in 16 league games this season - the highest total in the division.
Only Fulham (181) have allowed their opponents more shots on target against them than Cardiff this season (165) in the Premier League.
Cardiff have conceded more headed goals than any other team in the top flight (10).

Fulham
Fulham have failed to win their last eight league games (D2, L6). That is currently the longest winless run in the top flight.
The Londoners' tally of three clean sheets is the lowest in the Premier League.
They won two of their opening four away league games this season, but have taken just five points from a possible 30 since then.
Fulham have conceded 68% of their goals in the second half of this season - the highest proportion in the Premier League.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26396173

WhiteJC

Trotta: I owed it to Brentford

Marcello Trotta scored on his Italy Under-21 debut and reveals he turned down offers because: "I owed it to Brentford."

The 21-year-old found the net in the 2-0 European Championship qualifier against Northern Ireland on Wednesday.

"It was a moment of great joy and I was very happy both for the team's victory and my goal," he told gianlucadimarzio.com.

"The Coach was also very happy, as winning this game was important. He asked me to hold up the ball, bring the team forward and hopefully score a goal... I think I followed my orders pretty well."

Trotta has been in England since January 2010 when he joined Fulham, going out on loan to Wycombe Wanderers, Watford and now Brentford.

So far this season he has a creditable 10 goals in 24 League One games, plus one in two FA Cup appearances.

"Considering the way things went, I would make that decision again, without doubt. Football is the same all over the world.

"We know there are small differences, as in Italy it requires more tactics and technique, whereas in England it's more intense, but these are only minor.

"Will I return to Italy? We'll see, for the moment I am focused only on scoring for Brentford and my country.

"I received some offers in January and two teams in particular wanted me, but I chose to stay here. I owed it to Brentford to repay their faith in me."

Trotta was in the Napoli youth academy with current first team player and senior Italy squad member Lorenzo Insigne.

He is an Inter fan and lists his influences as Ronaldo, Christian Vieri and Adriano.

http://www.football-italia.net/46112/trotta-i-owed-it-brentford?

WhiteJC

Scotland to play Nigeria at Craven Cottage

Scotland will take on Nigeria at Craven Cottage, home of Fulham FC, on Wednesday, May 28, as Gordon Strachan's side look to extend their unbeaten run to six matches.

The Scottish FA has confirmed the fixture following Wednesday night's 1-0 win against Poland in Warsaw, courtesy of captain Scott Brown.

The national team will continue their preparations for the UEFA European Championship 2016 qualifiers against the Brazil-bound Nigerians, who have qualified for their fifth FIFA World Cup finals tournament.

Scotland will be looking to extend their own impressive record of five matches without defeat – and without conceding a goal in their previous four matches - while continuing the sequence of three successive away victories, which came against Croatia, Norway and Macedonia.

Scotland last met Nigeria at Pittodrie, Aberdeen, in 2002, when the Super Eagles came from behind to win 2-1. Scotland have been drawn against Germany, Republic of Ireland, Poland, Georgia and Gibraltar in UEFA Euro 2016 Group D.

The national coach believes the match against Nigeria presents another opportunity to test themselves against quality opposition before the group opener against Germany in September.

He said: "We considered a lot of options but the chance to play Nigeria, a country who will be going to the World Cup this summer, in London without the need for long-haul travel was the one that appealed most.

"We will have time for some quality training sessions before the game and we will look to finish the season with a positive performance and result that we can take forward as we finalise preparations for the Euro 2016 qualifiers.

"I was encouraged yet again by a lot of what I saw in Warsaw and the players are now protective of the performances and results they have put together recently. We will look to continue that against Nigeria."

Ticket details will be confirmed shortly and we will contact our Scotland Supporters Club members directly as soon as this information is available.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1986&newsCategoryID=6&newsID=13133

WhiteJC

Felix Magath Increasingly Confident Over Fulham Survival Chances

Fulham's newly appointed manager Felix Magath is confident that the relegation-hit club will be able to fight for survival in the Premier League.

The Craven Cottage club are currently at the bottom of the league table and four points behind the safety zone with just 10 games left.

"I'm convinced that we will avoid relegation because we've developed in the last 14 days", Magath was quoted as saying by ITV.

"The team is growing together and that is what makes me sure that we can avoid relegation."

The Cottagers face 19th-placed Cardiff this weekend and three points there will be essential in the west London club's quest to avoid relegation.

"We're fighting for every single one. I'm talking of course about the Premier League, I'm talking about the Champions League.

"These three points are very important for us, not only to step up from the last place, we need a win for ourselves, for our confidence", the 60-year old said.

"We are in London, we are not in Cardiff or Sunderland where the whole city is interested in playing Premier League.

"The atmosphere here is really relaxed for the situation we are in; it's not typical for a team fighting against relegation.

"We have to be aware that we are not only dreaming, but everybody has to put in a shift and push the team and push the players to give their best", the German added.

Six out of Fulham's 10 remaining games are against the sides in the bottom half of the English table, but the Whites also have a clash against Manchester City and Tottenham lined up.

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/03/07/felix-magath-increasingly-confident-over-fulham-survival-chances/130778/#OCKQP2VWUbarWtxq.99