watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (29/05/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 29, 2010, 07:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282314/Fulham-eyeing-Andreas-Granqvist-faces-competition-new-Wolfsburg-boss-Steve-McClaren.html?ITO=1490
Fulham eyeing up Andreas Granqvist but faces competition from new Wolfsburg boss Steve McClaren

Fulham are chasing FC Groningen centre-half Andreas Granqvist but face competition from Steve McClaren's Wolfsburg.
The 6ft 3ins defender, 25, had an ill-fated spell at Wigan in 2007 but has resurrected his career in Holland.

Forgettable: Andreas Granqvist didn't have the best time at Wigan
He said: 'I know that other clubs are interested in me. I would like to move to a higher level.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282314/Fulham-eyeing-Andreas-Granqvist-faces-competition-new-Wolfsburg-boss-Steve-McClaren.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0pIYiMBeL

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/brentfordfriendly.aspx?
Friendly Matches Confirmed

The Club can confirm that Roy Hodgson's Team will play Brentford in a pre-season friendly on the 14th July 2010.

The match will be played at Griffin Park and kick-off at 8pm. Three days later the Whites will play Bournemouth (away) on Saturday 17th July (KO 3pm).

Ticket information for both matches will be published on fulhamfc.com in due course.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/BadgersReport.aspx
Memories To Cherish

What better way to start the day by relaxing before a football tournament and diverting the tension by playing ten pin bowling at Hong Kong FC. This was the first time that some of the Badgers had attempted to bowl and by all accounts they are now planning more frequent visits to a bowling alley when they return to the UK.

That said, football still remains their passion which is just as well as there was a football tournament to be played and all their hard would soon be put to the test against two very good sides in HK Crusaders and HK Dragons.

The tournament was great and despite hot and humid conditions, all of the teams showed plenty of spirit and enjoyment.

The Badgers were first up against HK Crusaders and took the lead in the match before conceded a goal just before half time. With scores locked 1-1 at the start of the second-half, the badgers quickly regained the lead to make it 2-1 but only for the HK Crusaders to equalise for the second time in the match and the going on to grab a last gasp goal to make the final score 3-2 to the HK Crusaders.

The match was end to end and all of the players deserved credit and the applause from all of the spectators for putting on such a wonderful spectacle.

The team was next up against a very strong HK Dragons side and although the Badgers put on a plucky performance, they were unable to clinch a win.

Before the final match of the tournament involving HK Crusaders and HK Dragons, the Badgers challenged Fulham FC Foundation staff and coaches to a game as a thank you for all of their work with the group of players.

Fulham FC Foundation staff and coaches were delighted with the efforts of the team on the pitch on a day where the winner was Down's syndrome football.

Foundation Disability Development Coach, Susie Williams, commented:

"Every player put on a fantastic performance today and they worked really well as a team. To play against both teams in such a superb location has been amazing and I know that memories of today and the whole trip will stay with them forever."

To finish off the day in style, the Fulham Badgers were invited to the HK Crusaders' end of season party and were thrilled to be presented with special gold medals.

After a final day of sightseeing, the team will now travel back to the UK and are expected to arrive back at Motspur Park at around 5.30pm on Saturday. They will come back with some wonderful stories to share with the rest of their teammates who weren't able to travel but who have been and continue to be every bit as important to the progress made by the Fulham Badgers.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/BadgersReport.aspx#ixzz0pIaN1ZSB

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/DikgacoiNextStep.aspx
The Next Step

South African international midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi is hoping that this summer's World Cup Finals will put him in peak condition to challenge for a regular place in Fulham's starting eleven next season.

KG clearly enjoyed his inaugural season in SW6 but the midfielder is hoping to become a permanent fixture in Roy Hodgson's Team after the 2010 Finals.

"Last season was fantastic," said Dikgacoi. "We got through to the Final of the Europa League in my first season so I really enjoyed myself. From the start no one expected us to reach the Final but through hard work and determination we made it.

"Everyone was working hard and I think that as soon as we realised that we were playing the likes of Juventus and Shakhtar Donetsk, that's when we saw the possibility of reaching the Final.

"For some of the players, like those who were regulars in the starting eleven it was difficult, but credit must also go to the manager. He has been changing the team, giving some other players chances and they proved themselves.

"I must say that I joined the Club after the Confederations Cup when my fitness levels were high so for me it was easy to gel in with the Team. Playing in this team is all about professionalism. Everyone is professional and everyone knows what their duties are. When that happens it makes things a lot easier.

"At first I thought it was going to be difficult and I was going to struggle but I worked hard on my weak points and I managed to make a few appearances. Now I am ready for next season and it won't be as difficult as the first season."

Dikgacoi clearly appreciates the personal approach of Fulham Manager Roy Hodgson, who the midfielder credits with taking his game to a higher level over the past 12 months. Whilst KG is now hoping to play his part for the host nation at this summer's World Cup Finals, the midfielder will be hoping to push for further European success with Fulham in the coming seasons.

"He's [Roy Hodgson] a good manager; he's always encouraging his players," explained Dikgacoi. "He's someone who likes to approach you, it doesn't matter if you've done well or haven't done well. Working under such a person is good for me because some managers won't approach you and tell you what you're doing wrong or right.

"He [Hodgson] wants his player to enjoy their football, play the ball on the ground and that's what we're doing. I enjoy the training sessions and most of the time we're working on technical aspects or tactical awareness. That has improved my game a lot.

"I think we should aim high next season. We have seen the possibility for doing well in big tournaments so we should look to finish in a respectable position and maybe qualify for Europe. If I come back to the Team after the World Cup with high energy levels then I will be aiming to be in the starting eleven."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/May/DikgacoiNextStep.aspx#ixzz0pIalCBXF

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282254/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-ready-make-10m-bid-Fulham-defender-Brede-Hangeland.html?ITO=1490
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger ready to make £10m bid for Fulham defender Brede Hangeland

Arsenal want to open talks with Fulham over signing defender Brede Hangeland.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is known to be keen on strengthening his defence, with William Gallas and Sol Campbell both looking likely to leave the club over the summer.

In demand: Fulham defender Brede Hangeland
Hangeland signed a new three-and-a half-year contract in November, but Arsenal have always maintained their interest and could be ready to shell out £10m for the player, according to reports.

Hangeland played a major role in Fulham's magnificent run to the Europa League final.

He turns 29 over the summer, but even though Wenger normally prefers to sign younger players he is believed to have had a rethink since the success of taking back Campbell on a free transfer for the second half of the season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282254/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-ready-make-10m-bid-Fulham-defender-Brede-Hangeland.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0pIbE8NKV

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/midfielder-pleads-fulham-switch-1065549.html?
Midfielder pleads for Fulham switch

Jonathan Greening has issued a come and get me plea to Fulham after his loan stay at Craven Cottage came to an end.

The midfielder made just 15 starts in the league for the Cottagers last season but was heavily involved in their Europa League exploits and Greening has now admitted he would like to join Fulham on a permanent basis.

Greening, 31, is due back at parent club West Brom now his loan stay with Fulham has come to an end, where he still has a year to run on his current deal.

However, Fulham have the option to extend his stay by another season and Greening admits he is desperate to stick with Roy Hodgson's side.

"I've really enjoyed this season at Fulham, and it's up to the manager and the club now to sort out if they want me to stay," Greening told the Fulham and Hammersmith Chronicle. "I'm really happy here, it's been a great year. To finish 12th in the best league in the world and reach the Europa League final has been brilliant."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200103
Fulham - now THIS could be trouble
Skysports.com are reporting that Inter Milan are prepared to wait till after the World Cup to name a new manager, if Mourinho leaves for pastures new.

'The Inter squad will reconvene on 15th July for pre-season training. We can wait until then.'

Were the succinct words of Milan technical director Marco Branca.

Apparently Capello has a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave after the World Cup.

Right now the upcoming Finals are his primary objective, as well they should be, and he has refused to comment on his future after the summer spectacle.

How does this effect little old Fulham?

If Capello leaves the position of England Manager to take the helm at Inter Milan, there can be only one replacement: our man (Sir) Roy Hodgson. You could hardly blame him for leaving, and I am personally convinced this is the only position he would leave Fulham for.

There is no greater honour than playing, or in this case managing, for your country on the world stage. I would be proud to see him go. It would leave a bit of a void to fill, unfortunately.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200103#ixzz0pIcEcapa

WhiteJC

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/05/28/arsenal-set-to-make-10m-premier-league-centre-back-bid-wenger-tries-to-tempt-hangeland-into-emirates-move/?
Arsenal Set to Make £10m Premier League Centre Back Bid: Wenger Tries to Tempt Hangeland into Emirates Move

Emirates boss ready to make big money Craven Cottage bid

Arsenal are ready to test the resolve of Fulham by making a 10million move for Brede Hangeland.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has put a new central defender at the top of his wanted list and could be ready to turn to Hangeland if he cannot lure Gary Cahill away from Bolton.

Wenger has been showing an interest in the Norwegian central defender for the last 12 months but so far Fulham have managed to keep hold. However Wenger knows he needs to strengthen his defence in the summer with William Gallas heading for the exit door, while Sol Campbell is also targeting a move to Celtic.

Cahill is only 23 year's old and would cost significantly more than Hangeland, who at 29 still has plenty left in the locker but would not cost the Frenchman as much. (Clubcall)

Arsene Wenger has been linked with a move for the Fulham centre back for some time now and this source, and others, seem to suggest that this summer the Arsenal boss will make a sustained effort to land the impressive Norwegian international.

The 29 year old has had two very solid seasons in the Premier League and is a player the Gunners could well do with signing as they look to improve their back line. The club could well still lose the services of William Gallas, Sol Campbell and Mikel Silvestre as the north London club looks at freshening things up at the back.

Hangeland's performances are a big part of the west London club's success of late with his determined battling displays helping Fulham to become a team that is very hard to beat.

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/player-of-the-year/?
Player of the year
Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude
I was up early this morning to finish off a project at work.  6am start, shower, clothes, breakfast, then sitting by the front door I looked across and saw next door's cat out playing.  Usually he is out in the yard, a raised concrete area above a... well, it's a space of more concrete really, 30 or so feet below... usually he is climbing into a bucket looking for rainwater to drink.  This time he was playing with something.   You know how cricketers throw the ball from one hand to another, how baseballers hurl the ball from hand to mitt, how footballers juggle the ball from foot to foot?  Well the cat was doing this with what looked like a dead mouse.  Back and forth between paws, some serious dribbling, the occasional pounce for drama.   Then he lost concentration, right paw thwack, left paw no chance, mouse overboard and down to the depths below.  Then the cat noticed me watching and we had a brief stand-off, before he stalked off looking for more entertainment and I stalked off looking for a day of making presentations.   Who has the better deal?

In any event, I have recently found a load of Smashing Pumpkins live shows on Archive.org, and while three have been fairly ordinary, one, from 1997, has blown me away.   The sound is so dynamic, I am instantly reminded of 1996, of university, working at Tesco, watching cricket on the BBC even!  This week's tube journeys have flown by (just finished Martin Amis' Pregnant Widow, incidentally – cracked me up).

The Smashing Pumpkins strike me as teenage band.  While Nirvana live on into the ever-after and Pearl Jam are consigned to a sort of bargain bin "oh yeah, remember them?" status, as Mudhoney and Tad and the other Sub-Pop lot kind of remain a memory and an occasional presence on surprise compilations (I found a John Peel Sub-Pop sessions album in a shoe-box the other day; superb it was), the Smashing Pumpkins are still with me but not the new me, the old me, the old me that the new me still wants to be sometimes.  The free me, the Tesco working me, the me with time on his hands and a wide-open future.   So the Smashing Pumpkins are an important link into something that's important to hold onto.

So I listen to this live show from 1997 and the performance is amazing, and the guitars are like some kind of beautiful dream where heavenly melody and chainsaw/lawnmower menace are as one, and my thoughts wander...  Billy Corgan played the entire Siamese Dream album, but this is live – this is James Iha on guitar as well.  Isn't he good?

And from this I think of the recent player of the year voting.  The Smashing Pumpkins are an important band to me, and Billy Corgan *is* the Smashing Pumpkins.  Iha's doing some valuable supporting work, the new drummer (Matt Walker – Jimmy Chaimberlin left just before this) seems to be banging away well, but it's all about Corgan, and you can't escape that.

And when I look back on 2009/10′s band of brothers it's Zamora, Zamora, Zamora.   Who do I think of when I think of this season?  Zamora.  Who's the best player in this team?  Zamora.   Who could we not have done without?  Zamora.   Who did we have to do without in the final?  Zamora, more or less.  Did it show?   Oh yes.

Zoltan Gera is a favourite of mine and has supplied us with about five seasons worth of highlights in about three months, but player of the year?  Come on.   James Iha's guitar work is superb, flawless some say, but it's Corgan's band, Corgan's songs, Corgan's drive.  Fulham 2009/10 are Zamora's team (well, Hodgson's, but on the field I mean).

Look back over the season.  We've had tight games galore, but until Vincent Kompany at the Cottage, I am inclined to believe that Zamora won every individual battle he got involved in.  Defenders weren't able to defend him, pure and simple.  Yeah, the goals were great (literally), but how often did Duff or Gera or Konchesky or Dempsey do something good off a move started with Zamora winning, wrestling, passing?   How often did Zamora re-establish himself in that move and create a chance?   He was a beast.

Ultimately Gera's got this award because in the big European games he's come through like a superhero.  Everywhere you look in that European campaign there's Gera.  We were more effective because he perfected that split role and filled in in midfield.  We were more effective because he got into the box at different angles and at different times to everyone else.  We won matches because of his deadliness.    So I have no issue with Gera winning this award because his contribution to the season was indeed extraordinary.

But it was still Zamora's team, Zamora's season.   He'll never have a season like this again; he'll never play this well.  You can't play this well.  He was brilliant, absolutely brilliant.   And it's a shame that he won't be rewarded for it with the player of the year award.  In 20 years we'll remember Gera's goals, but when people wonder how this team won the first name they'll hear is Roy Hodgson, then it'll be Bobby Zamora.

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/arsenal-back-in-race-for-premier-league-star?
Arsenal back in race for Premier League star
Arsenal - Brede Hangeland interest reignited at Emirates

Arsenal are reportedly preparing a bid for Fulham defender Brede Hangeland.

The Norwegian centre back has been heavily linked with a move to the Emirates in the past, and now Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is ready to intensify his interest in the centre back.

Hangeland has had another fine season at Craven Cottage, helping Roy Hodgson's men to a Europa League final appearance as well as another solid Premier League campaign.

The defensive powerhouse made his debut for homeland club Viking in 2000, spending five years with the side he joined from junior club Vidar.

A 2006 move to Danish powerhouse Copenhagen raised Hangeland's profile, and he spent two successful years with Byens Hold before moving to the Premier League in January 2008.

Fulham beat a string of English clubs to Hangeland's signature, including Newcastle United and Liverpool, and the big defender hasn't disappointed since then.

Frenchman Wenger has been a fan of the Norwegian international since his move to these shores, and Standard Sport reports Arsenal hope to open talk with the Cottagers in the next few days.

Hangeland, who has 56 caps for his country, signed a new contract in November amidst interest from the Gunners. The north London side will now have to pay around £10 million to stand any chance of moving him across the capital.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/gera-happy-stay-fulham-despite-roma-interest-870741
Gera happy to stay with Fulham despite Roma interest

Zoltan Gera has no interest in skipping out on Fulham for a glamour move to Roma.

The Hungary star maintained he was happy at Craven Cottage and was not eager to move anywhere despite the possibility of playing alongside the likes of Francesco Totti and Daniele De Rossi at the Stadio Olimpico.

"I'm contracted to the club and I feel good here, the season was like I planned," Gera told skysports.com.

"My aim is to play like I did or even better. If the atmosphere is good and the team-mates are good it's only a part of how I feel.

"What really matters is how I play football. If a player doesn't do his job well then usually he wants to leave, if he performs well then he usually wants to stay and continue everything.

"At the age of 31 I don't think I'm getting older as a footballer, what's more - I feel better and better. I hope the best is yet to come."

WhiteJC

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/130265,schwarz-im-staying.aspx
Schwarz: I'm Staying

FULHAM and Socceroos shot-stopper Mark Schwarzer denies he is making a cross-London switch to rival Arsenal, putting to end mounting speculation he would make the move to Emirates Stadium.

The 37-year-old enjoyed a stellar season with the Cottagers, as Roy Hodgson's side made an impressive run to the Europa League final.

Speculation has mounted in the summer that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is interested in the Socceroo.

But Schwarzer says he has not spoken to the Gunners.

"I haven't heard anything other than what's been said or written in the papers, so it's purely speculative at the moment," he told the ABC.

The first-choice Socceroos and Fulham keeper sees his future at Craven Cottage.

"I don't see anything changing unless someone tells me otherwise.

He added: "I've got another year left on my contract at Fulham and I've really enjoyed my time at Fulham and I'm enjoying it and I see my future at the moment with Fulham."

The Australian squad is training twice a day in South Africa, but took time off to attend a football clinic for underprivileged kids in Johannesburg.

Several thousand kids have been invited by the Socceroos to watch the warm-up matches with Denmark and the United States.

WhiteJC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/29/2912763.htm?site=sport&section=football
Schwarzer sees future with Fulham

Socceroos goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer believes his future lies with English club Fulham despite reported interest from big-name rivals Arsenal.

Schwarzer, preparing for his second World Cup with Australia, enjoyed a magnificent season in the Fulham goal, playing an integral role in his side's captivating run to the Europa League final.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is reportedly in the market for a new shot stopper in the summer but the 37-year-old Schwarzer denied he had been approached by the Gunners.

"I haven't heard anything other than what's been said or written in the papers, so it's purely speculative at the moment," he said.

"I've got another year left on my contract at Fulham and I've really enjoyed my time at Fulham and I'm [still] enjoying it and I see my future at the moment with Fulham.

"I don't see anything changing unless someone tells me otherwise."

Schwarzer and his team-mates are training twice a day in the lead-up to the World Cup but took some time out with several other Socceroos to attend a football clinic for underprivileged kids in Johannesburg.

"Well it's a great thrill to see other kids to see a smile on their face, how much they enjoy playing football and how much they enjoy just someone coming along," he said.

"Regardless of whether they know who we are or not, you just see the thrill on their faces of being able to actually kick a ball with people."

The Socceroos invited several thousand children to watch their World Cup warm-up matches with Denmark and the United States.

WhiteJC

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0529/1224271391930.html
Night of positives as Keane adds to tally

INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY/Rep of Ireland 3 Algeria 0: MANAGERS TEND to want different things from these end-of-season friendlies and often the results can be a little misleading. By the end of last night's surprisingly easy victory for the Republic of Ireland at the RDS, however, there was little need to hear the two men's respective takes on the game.

One, after all, had just seen his side take another very small step towards developing a capacity to qualify for a major championship in a couple of years with their biggest win since 2007; the other had seen his urgent programme of experimentation ahead of next month's World Cup unravel badly for the second time in succession.

For Republic of Ireland coach Giovanni Trapattoni, the positives were many. Paul Green turned in an assured performance in midfield. Keiren Westwood in goal looked good even if he was rarely tested to any great extent and Greg Cunningham did well enough to suggest his promise has not been over-estimated.

The more established players pretty much all had a satisfactory night in what was a pretty poor game.

Green even chipped in with a goal, but Robbie Keane outdid him late on with two, the first an opportunistic effort after the Algerians failed to cope with a straightforward set-piece, the second a penalty after the Dutch referee had interpreted what looked to be a good challenge by Djamel Mesbah on the Spurs striker to be a foul.

Mesbah was one of six Algerians to make his debut as Rabah Sadaane desperately seeks to integrate new players. The team looked like it still has a remarkable amount of work to do if next month's trip to South Africa is not to be painful and brief.

A couple of the side's established players were missing and Rais M'Bolhi did not perhaps get time to do himself justice after coming on, but the North Africans are short on quality and if goalkeeper Faouzi Chaouchi is not better than the first impression he made last night suggested, then the Algerians could be in trouble.

For the Irish, the news on pretty much all fronts was much better. At left back Cunningham seemed comfortable in his first taste of senior international football. The 19-year-old looked eager to get involved, and when a quick exchange of passes with Damien Duff went awry early on he kept his head well, moving quickly to help recover the situation.

Much of his time was spent trying to contain the lively Karim Ziani but the task never looked beyond him.

On the one occasion Cunningham did fluff things in the first half – a badly sliced clearance after an initial header by Seán St Ledger that fell in front of him – Westwood came with conviction to gather above a packed group of players.

When he headed straight to Guedioura not long after the break, however, he was more fortunate to see the returned shot go well wide.

Westwood's catch, meanwhile, had been just one of a string of good ones by the Coventry City goalkeeper who was decisive about coming off his line and self-assured once he did. Through the opening half, at least, he never needed to be any more than that.

Rafik Djebbour threatened just once to capitalise on one of his side's more searching balls forward, and on that occasion St Ledger intervened with a wonderfully executed challenge.

Green's impact rather overshadowed the rest of those on a real mission to impress. The 27-year-old midfielder looked neat and tidy through the early stages with the odd tackle here and pass there enough to ensure he got noticed.

But then the man who has averaged a goal every eight games or so over the course of almost a decade in the English lower leagues made it one in two as a senior international when he popped up, or more accurately down, to get past Chaouchi and head home from close range after Adlane Guedioura had failed to make contact with a curling Liam Lawrence cross after a set-piece that had involved Duff.

The Fulham winger was the provider for the second. It came seven minutes into the second half when he floated in a cross Chaouchi nudged tamely away only to see Keane, with his back to goal, coolly hook the ball him.

Within 10 minutes, the Irish skipper might have had a hat-trick. Westwood's long balls upfield towards Doyle or Lawrence had seemed to cause the visitors more and more problems and two in succession handed clear-cut chances to the Dubliner. His first effort, a left-footed drive from an angle out on the left, was saved by Chaouchi.

Guedioura almost pulled one back but saw his effort come back off the crossbar, but the Irish continued to look the better even as Trapattoni made changes.

Five minutes from time the victory was wrapped up thanks to the 43rd goal of Keane's international career - this time from the spot.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: Westwood (Coventry City); Kelly (Fulham), St Ledger (Preston North End), O'Shea (Manchester United), Cunningham (Manchester City); Lawrence (Stoke City), Green (Derby County), Whelan (Stoke City), Duff (Fulham); Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Doyle (Wolves). Subs: O'Dea (Celtic) for O'Shea (36 mins), Fahey (Birmingham City) for Duff (65 mins), Sheridan (Celtic) for Doyle (72 mins), Andrews (Blackburn Rovers) for Whelan (75 mins), J Murphy (Scunthorpe) for Westwood), Long (Reading) for Lawrence (86 mins).

ALGERIA: Chaouchi; Guedioura, Ballaid, Halliche, Mesbah; Mansouri, Ziani, Lacen, Belhadj; Djebbour, Ghezzal. Subs: Saifi for Djebbour (58 mins), Kadir for Mansouri, Boudebouz for Belhadj, M'Bolhi for Chaouchi (all 67 mins), Abdoun for Ghezzal (77 mins).

Referee: E Braamhar (Netherlands).

WhiteJC

http://le-grove.co.uk/2010/05/29/brede-hangeland-at-29-is-he-too-old-gourcuff-isnt-though/
Brede Hangeland, at 29 is he too old? Gourcuff isn't though!
Brede Hangeland is a big lump, and I do think we need a big lump, but at 29 years of age does he represent good value? I'm not so sure, if you think that apart from our famous trio of Bould, Keown and Adams, most centre backs have had it at 32, so he will give us what, 3 years? Then we'll be complaining that he's past it or too slow.

We are sweating on Campbell, Gallas is off and surely Silvestre must go and our kids are too young, you wouldn't have thought it was that tough to find a centre back would you!

I think that Johan and Vermaelen will form a top partnership, but it won't go through a season and we do need four, we gave Campbell his big break and now he's dithering over a move to another Notts County, Celtic.

If Sol stays, then we only need 1 centre back, if he goes, we need two. I would like a big guy, I quite like Cahill, but is he big enough?

What I don't want though is another French centreback, we have enough French players and I want Gourcuff, so Gourcuff can replace Silvestre and Gallas which will restore the balance of nationalities in the side. Yes I know that Gourcuff is a midfielder, I'm just talking balance.

I read with interest that Merida, who has now been pictured in an Athletico Madrid shirt (because he plays for them) said 'Wenger looked after me and my family since I arrived in London'

So that's what I mean by how much is the true cost of us buying these young kids, we have a few out in Spain as we can't bring them in to Britain, so we have to pay for all that, and over 3 years I'm sure that adds up, the other team only pays their salaries, we bring players like Merida in and pay for them and their families, I bet we did that with Denilson as well as his family, so is it a false economy?

We have Vela in Spain for three years, we bring him to England and Wenger announces him as a new signing, and he doesn't play, and when he does he's disappointing.

Ian Wright is imploring Fabio Capello to play Theo up front, in his best position, but as David Beckham is giving him crossing lessons, I'm not sure Fabio will listen, either way we may benefit from Theo playing for England this summer, I have always rated Theo, so good luck son, I wish you well!

I just hope Beckham has time to spend with Theo after the world cup bid, visiting the troops in Afghanistan, his trip to advise the Pope and his one man quest to end all worldwide famine.

I think we'll start to see the signings bit happen on Tuesday, June 1st, because I truly believe that Arsene has promised Cesc some big names, we don't want Cesc to give us one more year, we want him to stay, if it was one more year, I would prefer to take the cash and the players that go with the cash and move on.

Did I say I wanted Gourcuff?

Tom

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 29, 2010, 08:42:36 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0529/1224271391930.html
Night of positives as Keane adds to tally

INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY/Rep of Ireland 3 Algeria 0: MANAGERS TEND to want different things from these end-of-season friendlies and often the results can be a little misleading. By the end of last night's surprisingly easy victory for the Republic of Ireland at the RDS, however, there was little need to hear the two men's respective takes on the game.

One, after all, had just seen his side take another very small step towards developing a capacity to qualify for a major championship in a couple of years with their biggest win since 2007; the other had seen his urgent programme of experimentation ahead of next month's World Cup unravel badly for the second time in succession.

For Republic of Ireland coach Giovanni Trapattoni, the positives were many. Paul Green turned in an assured performance in midfield. Keiren Westwood in goal looked good even if he was rarely tested to any great extent and Greg Cunningham did well enough to suggest his promise has not been over-estimated.

The more established players pretty much all had a satisfactory night in what was a pretty poor game.

Green even chipped in with a goal, but Robbie Keane outdid him late on with two, the first an opportunistic effort after the Algerians failed to cope with a straightforward set-piece, the second a penalty after the Dutch referee had interpreted what looked to be a good challenge by Djamel Mesbah on the Spurs striker to be a foul.

Mesbah was one of six Algerians to make his debut as Rabah Sadaane desperately seeks to integrate new players. The team looked like it still has a remarkable amount of work to do if next month's trip to South Africa is not to be painful and brief.

A couple of the side's established players were missing and Rais M'Bolhi did not perhaps get time to do himself justice after coming on, but the North Africans are short on quality and if goalkeeper Faouzi Chaouchi is not better than the first impression he made last night suggested, then the Algerians could be in trouble.

For the Irish, the news on pretty much all fronts was much better. At left back Cunningham seemed comfortable in his first taste of senior international football. The 19-year-old looked eager to get involved, and when a quick exchange of passes with Damien Duff went awry early on he kept his head well, moving quickly to help recover the situation.

Much of his time was spent trying to contain the lively Karim Ziani but the task never looked beyond him.

On the one occasion Cunningham did fluff things in the first half – a badly sliced clearance after an initial header by Seán St Ledger that fell in front of him – Westwood came with conviction to gather above a packed group of players.

When he headed straight to Guedioura not long after the break, however, he was more fortunate to see the returned shot go well wide.

Westwood's catch, meanwhile, had been just one of a string of good ones by the Coventry City goalkeeper who was decisive about coming off his line and self-assured once he did. Through the opening half, at least, he never needed to be any more than that.

Rafik Djebbour threatened just once to capitalise on one of his side's more searching balls forward, and on that occasion St Ledger intervened with a wonderfully executed challenge.

Green's impact rather overshadowed the rest of those on a real mission to impress. The 27-year-old midfielder looked neat and tidy through the early stages with the odd tackle here and pass there enough to ensure he got noticed.

But then the man who has averaged a goal every eight games or so over the course of almost a decade in the English lower leagues made it one in two as a senior international when he popped up, or more accurately down, to get past Chaouchi and head home from close range after Adlane Guedioura had failed to make contact with a curling Liam Lawrence cross after a set-piece that had involved Duff.

The Fulham winger was the provider for the second. It came seven minutes into the second half when he floated in a cross Chaouchi nudged tamely away only to see Keane, with his back to goal, coolly hook the ball him.

Within 10 minutes, the Irish skipper might have had a hat-trick. Westwood's long balls upfield towards Doyle or Lawrence had seemed to cause the visitors more and more problems and two in succession handed clear-cut chances to the Dubliner. His first effort, a left-footed drive from an angle out on the left, was saved by Chaouchi.

Guedioura almost pulled one back but saw his effort come back off the crossbar, but the Irish continued to look the better even as Trapattoni made changes.

Five minutes from time the victory was wrapped up thanks to the 43rd goal of Keane's international career - this time from the spot.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: Westwood (Coventry City); Kelly (Fulham), St Ledger (Preston North End), O'Shea (Manchester United), Cunningham (Manchester City); Lawrence (Stoke City), Green (Derby County), Whelan (Stoke City), Duff (Fulham); Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Doyle (Wolves). Subs: O'Dea (Celtic) for O'Shea (36 mins), Fahey (Birmingham City) for Duff (65 mins), Sheridan (Celtic) for Doyle (72 mins), Andrews (Blackburn Rovers) for Whelan (75 mins), J Murphy (Scunthorpe) for Westwood), Long (Reading) for Lawrence (86 mins).

ALGERIA: Chaouchi; Guedioura, Ballaid, Halliche, Mesbah; Mansouri, Ziani, Lacen, Belhadj; Djebbour, Ghezzal. Subs: Saifi for Djebbour (58 mins), Kadir for Mansouri, Boudebouz for Belhadj, M'Bolhi for Chaouchi (all 67 mins), Abdoun for Ghezzal (77 mins).

Referee: E Braamhar (Netherlands).

Where is Keane going to be playing next season? I wouldn't mind seeing him play his home games at the Cottage. We can have a Duff to Keane combo going on. I would take that Ireland combo in a second!
Fulham for life!