watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Woodrow

Started by fulhamrover, March 09, 2014, 08:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyGilroy

I'm guessing that Magath wanted a hold up type striker to play with Mitroglu.

Woodrow strikes me as somewhat Dean Coney like and Magath may have thought him the most suitable partner for a very rusty Mitroglu.

Didn't work but not the worst decision to make.

epsomraver

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on March 10, 2014, 12:23:20 AM
Did they not play up top together in the game where mitro scored two in the under 21's perhaps that is why they played?

Quite frankly he needs to play every game now, until the end of the season. I actually felt he did ok, and will only improve

0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg

fulhamrover

Interesting insight into Magath's man management. I like it.

"The Manager hadn't given me any indication in the week that I'd be starting so I was a bit shocked, to be honest," he told the official website. "I found out on Friday I'd be travelling and thought I might get a place on the bench so I was delighted to be told I was starting about two hours before kick-off.

Mixed Emotions for Cauley - http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/10/woodrow-post-cardiff

Dodger53

Quotes from interview after game on Fulham web

"The Manager hadn't given me any indication in the week that I'd be starting so I was a bit shocked, to be honest," 
"told I was starting about two hours before kick-off"
"My mum, sister, uncles, nan and granddad were all there"

This is managerial madness - isnt it?

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Dodger53 on March 10, 2014, 11:08:10 AM

"The Manager hadn't given me any indication in the week that I'd be starting so I was a bit shocked, to be honest," 

The family got there quick given that they didn't know he was playing.

westcliff white

Quote from: MasterHaynes on March 09, 2014, 09:04:07 PM
Quote from: JDH101 on March 09, 2014, 08:58:07 PM
Until we are mathematically out of it, we cannot start him. Nothing against him, I hope he is one for the future, but he did nothing at Southend and was nothing more than a passenger yesterday.

It was a shocking decisions by Magath that totally backfired. It was not the right time to have a teenager a debut. Unless its Ryan Giggs.
Nothing at Southend, really? scored 4 goals one the winner in a key game agaimst promotion rivals.
Southend are my local club and go to a fair few home games, he was ok down here, scored some goals, did ok, stupid sending off tho. When he came back others were in form and he was played out wide in a front 3 of sorts. He was decent not outstanding.
Every day is a Fulham day

Bronaldinho

Sorry,

He's not up to the standards just yet, if he can't score regularly at Southend he won't cut it just yet. I'm all for the youth getting a chance, but right now.. We need Mitroglou + Hot Rod up top, even Bent... I hate saying that, but they are better than Woodrow.

Then again Tankovic should have been ahead of Woodrow.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

horse1031

I think he played well and did not look out of depth.  stronger than i expected.

i was more dissappointed with Mitroglou's lack of contributions.  Have to start him though...

HatterDon

Quote from: Dodger53 on March 10, 2014, 11:08:10 AM

Not necessarily. I've heard of this done in other sports as a way to keep EVERYBODY in the squad ready to start at a moment's notice.

I thought the kid did well considering. He was muscled off the ball a few times in the first 10 minutes, but came into the game fairly well. He seems to have decent positional sense and awareness of where his teammates are, and I think he has a lot of promise. Yes, he's only had 4th tier experience, but we're playing like a mid table 3rd tier team, so he's not all that out of place.

I would have liked to have seen more of Dembele Minor since we caught our first glimpse, but I think he's injured and hasn't been featuring in the U-21s from what I understand.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

westcliff white

Quote from: Bronaldinho on March 10, 2014, 01:35:49 PM
Sorry,

He's not up to the standards just yet, if he can't score regularly at Southend he won't cut it just yet. I'm all for the youth getting a chance, but right now.. We need Mitroglou + Hot Rod up top, even Bent... I hate saying that, but they are better than Woodrow.

Then again Tankovic should have been ahead of Woodrow.

He didn't play through the middle at southend but out wide in a front 3 as I said earlier. The odd minutes he played through the middle he scored.
Every day is a Fulham day

YoungsBitter

The cushion off his chest down to Holtby and his shot was our best attacking effort other than the goal and he looked confident in doing that. I think we all want to support youth which is developing but I cannot get my head around Magath's man management or motivation efforts with this kind of selection, especially couple with Riise in midfield in front of Richardson. These acts look like someone with a really large ego trying to prove he can make what decision he likes. I fully expect to see Magath try another line up on Saturday and not just resolving the Riise error, i.e. some other whimsical choice. If I was being generous I would say he is still finding his feet and some players do not strike him as up for the fight. It would be good to see some more logical choices: how about Tankovic and Mitroglou up front, Kvist, Sidwell, Holtby and Kaca behind? Unless Reither gets his poo together would be happy to see both him and Hangeland dropped too...
Quark, strangeness and charm

The Rock

Quote from: General on March 09, 2014, 09:36:29 PM
Quote from: Alan on March 09, 2014, 08:53:37 PM
Would like to see Woodrow start, with Holtby playing just off of him. If we could get the ball to Holtby, then his skill & Woodrow's movement could be the turning point in our fight for survival...

That is ridiculously hopeful.

Agreed lol! Would be great to see that happen though.

mccscratch

Quote from: YoungsBitter on March 10, 2014, 06:11:36 PM
The cushion off his chest down to Holtby and his shot was our best attacking effort other than the goal and he looked confident in doing that. I think we all want to support youth which is developing but I cannot get my head around Magath's man management or motivation efforts with this kind of selection, especially couple with Riise in midfield in front of Richardson. These acts look like someone with a really large ego trying to prove he can make what decision he likes. I fully expect to see Magath try another line up on Saturday and not just resolving the Riise error, i.e. some other whimsical choice. If I was being generous I would say he is still finding his feet and some players do not strike him as up for the fight. It would be good to see some more logical choices: how about Tankovic and Mitroglou up front, Kvist, Sidwell, Holtby and Kaca behind? Unless Reither gets his poo together would be happy to see both him and Hangeland dropped too...

I did not think Riise was too bad out on the wing... we actually played some okay football in the first 30 minutes... nothing great but nothing glaringly bad...

I thought Woodrow did well for a youngster in a pressure spot... Has some technical ability. Keep giving him minutes.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

cmg

One way or another we've given nine youth products a debut this season. Whether out of desperation or design I can't say, but at least we are giving our successful junior system some kind of opportunity to show us what it's got.

Passley, Tankovic, Dembele and now Woodrow have appeared from the final u18 match of last season.
The last three were extremely productive. They didn't always play together, especially as Woodrow was moved up to the u21.

Tankovic p27   19 goals
Dembele  p21   18 goals
Woodrow p15   14 goals

Deanothefulhamfan

Mcscratch I have to disagree with your post, Riise is not a winger, and imo he had a terrible game. Richardson was far more industrious and threatening when he got forward.

The first 30 minutes was terrible football, we we were nervous and in turn our passing was beyond poor.

I do agree with your comments regarding woodrow though