Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (31.05.10)

Started by White Noise, May 31, 2010, 06:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham Hungary for Racing Genk midfielder Daniel Tozser

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 11:09 PM on 30th May 2010

Fulham are weighing up a move for Racing Genk midfielder Daniel Tozser.

The 25-year-old is an international teammate of Fulham's Hungarian midfielder Zoltan Gera and can operate in a defensive midfield role or on the left hand side.

Manager Roy Hodgson has a limited budget and Tozser could be snared for around £2.5million despite being bought from Athens a year ago for £1.5m.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282706/Fulham-Hungary-Racing-Genk-midfielder-Daniel-Tozser.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0pTuBz9gt

White Noise

United States 2 Turkey 1

From SIMON VENESS

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (5)

USA's dangermen

LANDON DONOVAN
EVERTON fans will need no convincing their on-loan LA Galaxy hitman can be a real danger to England. This is his third World Cup.

CLINT DEMPSEY
THE Texan finished the season in style for Fulham, with key goals against Juventus in the Europa League and West Ham in the Premier League. Has shaken off a serious knee injury.

JOSE TORRES
A SURPRISE pick, the midfielder, 22 and 5ft 6in, has been a revelation, helping Mexican side Pachuca to the FIFA Club World Cup.

BE afraid, England. Be very afraid.

That was the crystal-clear message from across the Pond this weekend as the USA wrapped up their home World Cup preparations with an impressive win over Turkey.

What was scary was not so much the fact that Bob Bradley's men finally settled into a South African groove after months of doubts, injury worries and inconsistent form. It was that they have suddenly developed a confident cutting edge.

And, after looking like Yankee Doodle poodles since qualifying last year, there is now a Rottweiler snarl to their normally mild-mannered style thanks to the likes of Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan and Michael Bradley.

Donovan spent an impressive loan spell with Everton this year and knows what it takes to be successful in big tournaments after helping the US to the Confederations Cup final last year.

And, after a sizzling second half against the Turks in which he created goals for both Jozy Altidore and Fulham frontman Dempsey, he was bullish about America's chances.

The LA Galaxy star insisted: "We're going to be as good as we want to be. And, if we play the way we're capable of playing, we can beat a lot of teams in the world.

"When you go into a major tournament like this, the urgency is very apparent. Every game, every goal, every minute is magnified and very important. And we had that in the second half."

Boss Bradley fielded a full-strength team to prepare for their June 12 showdown with England in Rustenberg.

And, despite a shoddy first half as the back four struggled to gel and West Ham full-back Jonathan Spector's gaffe gifted a 27th-minute opener to Arda Turan, Bradley was jubilant.

The head coach admitted: "I think we accomplished everything we would have wanted here. The type of game we were in today pushed the players very hard and they responded well."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2993007/United-States-2-Turkey-1.html#ixzz0pTvtoaGI

White Noise

Ghana's Boat Heads To The Finals

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (1)

PORTSMOUTH'S midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng has been rewarded for switching his allegiance to Ghana by winning a place in their 23-man World Cup squad.

Berlin-born Boateng, 23, had played for Germany at every age up to Under-21 level.

But he switched to Ghana after failing to win a cap at full level - and could play in a Group D game against Germany on June 23.

Fulham's John Pantsil is also in the squad.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2993298/Ghanas-Boat-heads-to-finals.html#ixzz0pU093UlF

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6181651/Hodgson-eyes-bid-for-Clarets-star-Bikey

Hodgson eyes bid for Clarets star Bikey

Sunday 30th May 2010 23:07

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson is reportedly ready to offer Burnley outcast Andre Bikey a Premier League lifeline this summer.

The Cottagers chief is keen to bolster his defensive options and has targeted 25-year-old Bikey, according to the Daily Star Sunday.

The Cameroon hardman fell out of favour with Clarets gaffer Brian Laws towards the end of last season.

And Hodgson is hoping a bid of £1million will tempt Burnley's hierarchy following their relegation to the Championship.

White Noise

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/398907-schwarzer-wanted-by-the-gunners-could-it-be-the-downfall-of-fulham

Schwarzer Wanted By The Gunners; Could It Be The Downfall Of Fulham?

by Antony Herbert Correspondent

Written on May 30, 2010

Fulham got into the premiership with money—no one can deny that. Mohammed Al Fayed revolutionized the club and the fans were forever grateful.

And one purchase has kept them in the highest division in England for the last couple of years, elevating them clear of the relegation zone.

That same person helped them to a Europa League final, and that same person is the reason why Fulham have earned a reputation of having a frustratingly yet at the same time wonderfully stubborn defence.

That man is Mark Schwarzer.

His consistent performances are the reason why many feel abundantly confident in placing him within their fantasy football team.

He has brought in points by the bucket load by gaining clear sheets here, there, and everywhere.

The only time you need to switch to your reserve keeper is when the starting eleven for the Cottagers come up against the likes of Arsenal, Manchester United, and Chelsea.

They have even conquered Liverpool! Although with the Merseyside team's dramatic downfall, that was an easier accomplishment than it would have sounded at the start of the recently run season.

Yet Arsenal wants to snatch him away, and understandably so. With his ever increasing mountain of powerful credentials, every team should surely be after the awesome Aussie.

And the Gunners need him like a cat needs a tongue. Their title challenge halted this season with some clumsy surrendering of points. They need a keeper who will afford them a goal difference worthy of champions.

Fulham fans would be reduced to tears if the move came into fruition. Their team without Mark would leave goals piling in from every angle unless they could find a worthy substitute.

For the pessimists out there, surely lightning won't strike twice.

At least with the funds from the sale, they could attempt to rescue their distinct defensive reputation.

They could even use the excess for a Mark Schwarzer helpline, to aid those not able to come to terms with the exit of a legend!

Thankfully, for the time being, Schwarzer has played down the speculation about a possible move to the Emirates.

Fulham are on the charge, and surely Schwarzer can see a reason to stay. Maybe he has visualised an even greater campaign for the 2010/11 season. That's an optimistic reason to stay if ever there was one.

If all else fails though, then all Fulham need to do is send him into hibernation after the World Cup, hide him in the locker room in Craven Cottage, and deny all knowledge of his current whereabouts.

White Noise

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/05/30/the-world-cups-got-talent-we-predict-the-players-who-will-star/

Julio Cesar, Buffon, Casillas and Lloris all play for countries who are expected to reach the later rounds of the tournament, but Australia aren't and in Mark Schwarzer they have a goalkeeper who has been at the top of his game in 2009-10.

As well as helping Fulham finish 12th in the English Premier League, the 37-year-old was a key figure in the London club's extraordinary run to the Europa League final, so expect him to grab a few headlines in South Africa.

White Noise

Should we let Beattie go at any price?

James Beattie may have fallen foul of his boss, Tony Pulis but that doesn't seem to mean he'll be leaving on the cheap.

Both Blackburn Rovers and West Brom appear keen to take on the Stoke striker, who seems to have finally used up all of his lives at the Brit after his infamous shower room bust-up with the boss just before Christmas.

In truth, even though he's spent most of this year languishing on the bench (at best). Last season, he never lived up to those match-winning performances after he joined from Sheffield United in January 2009. It's a scenario that seems to match his time at Everton where he scored 10 goals in his first full season and then rapidly fell away.

Stoke are said to be to keen to try and recoup the £2m or so that he cost us and with a year left on his contact, you'd have thought that was a bargain for a 'Premier League striker'. Unfortunately, 'Championship striker' is probably something nearer to the mark and that tied to his public fallings out will have made any prospective clubs very cautious and caused his price to plummett.

He very nearly went to Fulham in the January sales after we'd agreed a fee, but his personal demands apparently exceeded what he was on at Stoke and the deal collapsed. His best chance of any Premier League football seems to be in a move to his home town of Blackburn - the fans would love to see him play at Ewood, but I'd have thought Sam Allardyce would be a good deal more cautious.

Read more: http://www.stoke.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200293#ixzz0pU6sSJU1

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/830682/BLACKPOOL-OFFER-FINNAN-PREMIER-LIFELINE.html

BLACKPOOL OFFER FINNAN PREMIER LIFELINE

29/05/2010

BLACKPOOL boss Ian Holloway is ready to offer Steve Finnan a Premier League lifeline.

Former Republic of Ireland defender Finnan, 34, is available on a free because penniless Pompey cannot afford to renew his contract.

But Holloway wants the ex-Liverpool and Fulham star to spearhead his side's survival bid.

Finnan said: "I was not surprised Portsmouth let me go. I have a big decision to make on my future over the next six weeks."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-fullback-konchesky-warming-birmingham-move-873171?
Fulham fullback Konchesky warming to Birmingham move

Birmingham City remain favourites for Fulham fullback Paul Konchesky.

The Sunday Sun says Blues have already had a £1.5 million bid for the ex-England left-back knocked back by the Cottagers.

However Konchesky, who has one year left on his current deal at Craven Cottage, has indicated to the west Londoners that he does not intend to sign a new contract.

The 29-year-old is believed to be interested in joining the Alex McLeish revolution at St Andrew's and Blues will return with an improved offer sooner rather than later.

WhiteJC

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s192/st158894.htm
Greening return is not an option

West Bromwich Albion have sent former Captain Jonathan Greening a stark reality check; that return to the Hawthorns is not an option. Greening made the move to Premiership Fulham on an initial 12 month loan spell at the end of the 2008/09 season, which ended in top flight relegation for the Midlanders.

The initial 12 month deal which took Greening to Craven Cottage is due to expire, and comments made by the player this week seemed to indicate that a return to the Hawthorns was likely should negotiations over a new contract between himself and Fulham gaffer Roy Hodgson break down.

West Bromwich Albion however have been quick to nip any such speculation in the bud, stating that Greening's loan move agreement was only drawn up on a loan to permanent transfer basis, meaning that Fulham had indeed agreed to the full purchase of Greening after the 12 month loan spell expired.

For Greening in simple terms this means that there is no return option in the contract - counting a return to the Hawthorns well and truly out of the picture.

This kind of deal is not uncommon, and in fact Albion have taken advantage of it on several occassions, such as in the instance of Paul Robinson at Bolton Wanderers and Tomasz Kuszczak at Manchester United.

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/no-craven-cottage-exit-for-no-1-1065870.html?
No Craven Cottage exit for No. 1

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has dismissed suggestions of moving to Arsenal as 'purely speculative'.
The Gunners are desperate to find a stopper to ease their recent problems between the sticks and have been looking in the direction of the Craven Cottage number one.

Manuel Almunia and Lucasz Fabianski have been unconvincing in goal this season having both had the chance to make an impression on manager Arsene Wenger.

However, it appears as though they have blown the opportunity with Wenger actively seeking replacements, making Schwarzer the priority target.

But the Australian, who is current on World Cup duty, told ABC Sport, "I haven't heard anything other than what's been said or written in the papers, so it's purely speculative at the moment.

"I've got another year left on my contract at Fulham and I've really enjoyed my time there. I see my future at the moment with Fulham.

"I don't see anything changing unless someone tells me otherwise."

Schwarzer would provide a wealth of Premier League experience that Arsenal have not had since David Seaman left the club in 2003.

Jens Lehmann filled the void for the five years after Seaman's departure, adding consistency between the sticks.

But since 2008, the Emirates club have been anything but consistent with a number of 'keepers trying to claim a regular place in the first team.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/5/30/1493689/cottagers-daily-rumor-mill-update?
Cottagers Daily Rumor Mill Update : Bobby Zamora linked again to Birmingham City and Aston Villa

As I mentioned in other posts the links of Bobby Zamora and other Premier Clubs continues on a regular basis. In an article from the Sunday Mercury it claims that Birmingham City and Aston Villa are both after Bobby Zamora. The article also mentions continued interest again from Birmingham City in Paul Konchesky.

According to the Andy Walker article in the Sunday Mercury he claims that both clubs are chasing Zamora. He also mentions that Sunderland are also interested in Zamora.

Andy Walker claims in this article that Bobby Zamora is very interested in playing European football again next season. According to Walker, that would put Aston Villa in the driver's seat because they will be playing in the Europa League next season.

Andy Walker's blog article also mentions that Birmingham City could land Paul Konchesky in the next couple of weeks. The article states that they had an offer for Konchesky already rejected by Fulham. The article goes on to say that Birmingham City are planning a new offer for Konchesky. Andy Walker's story also states that Konchesky has indicated to Fulham that he does not intend to sign a new deal . He has one year left on his current deal with Fulham. 

I had written two days ago a story linking both players to Birmingham City. This information was according to a Daily Mirror story. I also had a post on May 14th that Fulham and Bobby Zamora were in contract talks for a new four year deal. This post was according to a different story in Daily Mirror.

These stories are continuing at a very good pace. The success that Fulham have had is of course going to lead to interest from other clubs. I have stated earlier that I want Fulham to keep both players. Bobby Zamora and Paul Konchesky both had big parts in Fulham's success last season. It would be a shame to see either player go.

I personally hope Fulham can find a way to keep Zamora and Konchesky at Craven Cottage. There is no question that these links to Fulham players will go on probably throughout the summer months.  When more information is available regarding these Fulham players I will have an update. 

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/5/30/1493872/10-things-i-think-about-fulham?
10 Things I Think About Fulham Football Club This Week May 30th

Every week I like to write about subjects that are on my mind regarding Fulham Football Club. This was another interesting week regarding Fulham and rumors to their players. There have been links to Fulham players to Premier League clubs such as Arsenal, Birmingham City, and Aston Villa.  Fulham have also been linked to other team's players as potential summer transfer targets. I shouldn't forget about the rumors regarding Roy Hodgson with Inter Milan. This edition is chock full of rumors and other thoughts. Below are my 10 Things I Think About Fulham Football Club This Week May 30th."

1.I think I shouldn't be surprised by the rumored link of interest of Inter Milan in Roy Hodgson. I know these rumored links to Roy Hodgson would continue. In my story on May 24th entitled "Is Inter Milan going after Roy Hodgson to replace Jose Mourinho" I discuss a story from The Daily Mirror which mentions possible interest of Inter Milan in Hodgson to replace Mourinho. This is the second link to Roy in a couple of weeks. I certainly will not be surprised if he is linked to several other jobs this summer. I guess the word is out that Roy is a great manager.   

2. I think I really enjoy watching the U.S. play in International friendlies before the World Cup.  The first reason I like these friendlies is I get to see other EPL teams' players in a friendly match. When the U.S. played the Czech Republic I got to see Petr Cech play who is also the goalkeeper for Chelsea. When the U.S. played Turkey, I got to see Tuncay Sanli play who also is a member of Stoke City. Another reason I enjoy the Friendlies is I get to see Fulham players get to play against each other. Next week when the U.S. plays Australia I will see Clint Dempsey play against Mark Schwarzer. That game should be fun.

3. I think I now really understand some of the stress that Arsenal fans might feel with rumors dealing with players like Cesc Fabregas. Arsenal fans probably deal with these types of rumors every year regarding their players. Cesc Fabregas is an excellent player and he is in a link to interest from Barcelona. Fulham are dealing with many links to its players and manager. It is an uneasy feeling thinking that another team might take away a piece of your club. I have written about this subject prior but it seems to be getting intensified.     

4. I think there are conflicting stories regarding a potential link between Arsenal and Brede Hangeland.  I wrote about these stories two days ago entitled " Conflicting stories regarding the interest of Arsenal in Brede Hangeland.  There are two different stories regarding Arsene Wenger's interest in Hangeland. The Daily Mail had a story of Wenger potentially making a bid for Hangeland. The Daily Mirror had a story earlier last week that stated that Hangeland was not on their radar screen. Stories like this is a big reason why I have a Cottagers Daily Rumor Mill. Which story is right? I guess time will tell if Wenger is really interested in Hangeland.

5. I think Frederic Piquionne would be a good transfer for whoever lands him.  Fulham have been linked to him prior. He is a very good striker and has played well against Fulham. Just recently he was also linked to West Ham. I wrote about this story two days ago. According to the Daily Mail, West Ham have made a £3million offer to Lyon for his services. If Fulham are interested they might want to make a bid soon.

6.  I think I am surprised by what a Sunday Mercury arctile had to say regarding Paul Konchesky. I wrote about this story today. Andy Walker's article in the Sunday Mercury mentions that Konchesky has indicated to Fulham that he does not intend to sign a new deal with the club. Konchesky does have one year left on his current deal with Fulham. This is the first time I have read that Konchesky did not want to sign a new deal with Fulham. I am personally just a little surprised that he would want to leave. As usal only time will tell if Konchesky really wants to leave Fulham.

7. I think the Bobby Zamora continuing links to other clubs is not a surprise at all. I wrote about this today.  The Sunday Mercury today has him linked to Birmingham City, Aston Villa and Sunderland. I think unless Fulham sign him to a new deal there will probably be interest from other clubs.

8. I think I am happy for Wayne Brown getting signed by Bristol Rovers. I wrote about this on May 25th. I am disappointed to see him go, but it is probably a good opportunity for the young player. As I mentioned Fulham can't hold on to every player. I wish him the best of luck.

9. I think I would like to see Fulham add players in all parts of the field this summer. I think Fulham have a great nucleus right now. I just want some more pieces to the puzzle. I think if they picked up a defender, a midfield player and a striker it would only enhance the club they already have. 

10. I think the U.S. are going to do very well in the World Cup. I am not saying they are going to beat England. That game is going to be extremely difficult to win. I do think this team has the potential get out of this group with England. I have watched the last two friendly matches.  Especially in the last match against Turkey the U.S. showed they can be a difficult team to play. I really enjoy watching Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan playing well together. You shouldn't sleep on this team. 

Well, those are my thoughts for this week. I am sure I will have other things on my mind for next week.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/05/31/neil-lennon-eyes-move-for-bullard-ledley-and-lawrence-as-first-celtic-signings-86908-22298623/
Neil Lennon eyes move for Bullard, Ledley and Lawrence as first Celtic signings

Neil Lennon will be officially appointed Celtic's new manager tomorrow - and will immediately instruct a blitz on the English transfer market.

Record Sport can reveal Cardiff midfielder Joe Ledley has emerged as a priority target for the Parkhead manager-in-waiting - and that Stoke winger Liam Lawrence and Hull's Jimmy Bullard are also edging closer to teaming up with Lennon in Glasgow's East End.

But first Lennon must wait for his own future to be thrashed out. We understand a final round of discussions today are all that stand in his way of securing his dream job.

Celtic also still hope to secure the services of a father figure to help Lennon as he cuts his teeth in management.
And despite weekend reports that old head will not be former Leeds boss Howard Wilkinson, suggested to the club by former manager Gordon Strachan .

But Lennon will demand guarantees from chief executive Peter Lawwell and majority shareholder Dermot Desmond that the appointment of a mentor will not dilute his authority as manager .

The precise remit of any proposed director of football is likely to be top of today's talks.

While Lennon is not entirely comfortable with the idea of working under the watch of a more experienced campaigner Celtic will placate him with a cast-iron assurance his word will be final on all team matters.

The fact Lawwell is already closing in on three of Lennon's top transfer targets shows they have placed their faith in the 38-year-old's judgment.

Lennon knows Celtic can pick up out-of-contract Ledley on a free transfer because of a loophole in cross-border transfer rules. The Wales midfielder was the subject of a £5million offer from Stoke last summer and is now being pursued by Everton, West Ham, Fulham, Blackburn and Wigan.

But while these clubs would have to pay Cardiff a bumper compensation package Ledley would not cost Celtic a penny.
The move for Lawrence is at a more advanced stage. Lennon hopes Stoke boss Tony Pulis sticks with a pledge not to price the Republic of Ireland midfielder out of the market and sets a price of around £1.5m.

And with Hull's finances in a state of meltdown following relegation from the English top flight Celtic are close to agreeing a season-long loan deal for Bullard .

HatterDon

Quote from: White Noise on May 31, 2010, 06:21:13 AM
Fulham Hungary for Racing Genk midfielder Daniel Tozser

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 11:09 PM on 30th May 2010

Fulham are weighing up a move for Racing Genk midfielder Daniel Tozser.

The 25-year-old is an international teammate of Fulham's Hungarian midfielder Zoltan Gera and can operate in a defensive midfield role or on the left hand side.

Manager Roy Hodgson has a limited budget and Tozser could be snared for around £2.5million despite being bought from Athens a year ago for £1.5m.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282706/Fulham-Hungary-Racing-Genk-midfielder-Daniel-Tozser.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0pTuBz9gt

My father bought me a Racing Genk when I was a young lad. Very quick with good pace over a long distance, and with lovely plumage, but he ate quite a lot and slept most of the day away. A bit flatulant as well, but the whole family came to love him. The Racing Genk was quite nice also.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

White Noise

http://www.espnstar.com/football/world-cup/news/detail/item447455/Schwarzer-expects-test-from-ball/

Schwarzer expects test from ball

Mark Schwarzersays the new World Cup ball will test goalkeepers to the full - especially at altitude.

The Australia and Fulham number one is grateful he has 19 days of preparation in South Africa before their opening game against Germany on June 13.

Schwarzer, who is likely to face Denmark in a warm-up match tomorrow in Johannesburg after recovering from a thumb injury, said: "The ball is difficult.

"You have got to take time to adjust to it. That's why being here so much earlier is enabling us to do that.

"It's not pretty but everyone is in the same boat and you just have to get on with it."

Blackburn midfielder Brett Emerton is unlikely to be risked by coach Pim Verbeek after returning to full training following a calf injury. Harry Kewell also looks certain to sit out the game due to a groin problem.

Denmark have also arrived early in the host nation and coach Morten Olsen is looking forward to the work out.

He said: "The important thing is to adapt to the altitude and prepare for the tournament. I think this will be a challenge for all European teams, who are not used to altitude."

Portugal face Cameroon, anxious to get back on track after their goalless draw against Cape Verde.

Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho said: "We could have done a lot better and know we are not in the good form we are supposed to be in.

"We need to work and improve. I hope the lack of rhythm doesn't influence our performance at the World Cup.

"Of course, it's important for the coach (Carlos Queiroz) to have everyone on top form. Some players aren't but we're working in order to be in shape for the World Cup."

Cameroon captain Samuel Eto'o is expected to link up with the squad today after threatening to withdraw from the World Cup after being criticised by former national hero Roger Milla.

The striker had been given leave by coach Paul Le Guen after helping Inter Milan win the Champions League.

Meanwhile Switzerland coach Ottmar Hitzfeld is looking for an improvement from his side when they face Costa Rica in Sion.

They went down in successive matches to Uruguay and Norway after qualifying and Hitzfeld said: "I expect a more cohesive unit on the pitch."

Hakan Yakin and Mario Eggiman will miss the game after suffering muscle problems in training in Crans-Montana but Hitzfeld added: "It is purely a precautionary measure."

White Noise

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/8193695.Rehman_investing_his_time_in_people/

City captain Zesh laying foundations to help improve the lives of disadvantaged kids

4:30pm Monday 31st May 2010

Zesh Rehman had no easy ride growing up in a Birmingham council estate.

There was nobody for a young Asian lad to look up to; nowhere to turn for inspiration.

Rehman was one of the lucky ones. He realised his boyhood ambitions to become a professional footballer. But a lot of others in the same situation are not so lucky.

That is the thinking behind the Zesh Rehman Foundation, a scheme he is championing to improve the lives of disadvantaged children through football.

Rehman's hard work within the Bradford community has been acknowledged by his appointment as City's club captain. Now the defender is ready to expand his horizons with other projects set up in London and the West Midlands.

He said: "When I made my Premier League debut for Fulham aged 21, I was bombarded by youngsters that saw me as a role model. So the idea probably started then.

"At that stage I wasn't ready to take anything further because it was so early in my career. But now I've been around six clubs and played over 150 games in all the divisions, it feels the right time.

"I would have loved it if there had been something like this around when I was growing up.

"But there was no Asian player to look up to at the time and nowhere really to go. You were left to your own devices, playing on the street and in gardens.

"I remember seeing plenty of talented kids forced away from football and into crime through no fault of their own. I just hope I can stop some youngsters falling into the same trap.

"It's about feeling good about yourself through sport. It's not just football but hopefully inspiring youngsters to become better people."

Rehman stressed that while he wants to promote football within the Asian community, the Foundation will be open to all. The first project should be up and running in September.

"My main aim is really just to help youngsters any way I can," he said.

"Even if they don't make a career out of football, if I can help a kid to get into sport or learn how to eat healthily then that will be a bonus.

"I've got a great team behind me to take the burden off my shoulders. There are four of them who cover everything; meetings, organising programmes and running the workshops.

"I want to stress that this will not take away from my football. My main priority is my job, as it always has been.

"Obviously the community work is important but football will always come first and trying to give 100 per cent on that pitch. That's why I will leave the day-to-day running of the foundation to the others."

Co-founders Gary Stannett and Otis Roberts, nephew of Blackburn striker Jason, will be at the forefront. But Rehman believes his personal experiences can act as a spur for the youngsters they will work with.

He said: "There are times in football when it's difficult and I've had some challenges in my career. It's a test to get through those situations.

"But my inspiration has been the kids and thinking about what you can achieve.

"As a footballer you get a lot of spare time. There's no better investment in your time than in people and that's what I'm trying to do."

White Noise

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5j29ZYJ1IXFDZKXamNGRqsSYc9eSw

Nigeria selects final squad for WCup, cutting 7 including Everton's Anichebe

By Jon Gambrell (CP) – 1 hour ago

LAGOS, Nigeria — Nigeria coach Lars Lagerback has named his final 23-man squad for the World Cup after cutting seven players, a team spokesman said Monday.

Nigeria Football Federation spokesman Ademola Olajire told The Associated Press that Everton striker Victor Anichebe was among those cut from the Super Eagles' provisional 30-man list. Anichebe had returned to action with the English Premier League club at the beginning of May after suffering an injury during a match against Bolton in March.

Olajire gave no explanation why Anichebe was dropped. Lagerback also left out Peter Utaka, the brother of Portsmouth and Super Eagles forward John Utaka, while defender Onyekachi Apam of Nice failed to make the squad after sitting out a warmup match with an injury.

Lagerback also dropped the only two Nigeria-based players who had been in the enlarged squad — goalkeeper Akpan Bassey and defender Peter Suswan — but the Swedish coach retained veteran forward Nwankwo Kanu, who made his international debut in 1994 and captained Nigeria to gold at the 1996 Olympics.

Nigeria finished third at this year's African Cup of Nations, leading the federation to fire Amodu Shaibu as coach after the tournament and bring in Lagerback, who had resigned as Sweden coach after failing to qualify his country for South Africa.

Nigeria's performances in its friendly matches have not been especially impressive. The Super Eagles drew 0-0 with Saudi Arabia, which failed to qualify for the World Cup, and were not able to field Chelsea midfielder Jon Obi Mikel, who sat out the game due to injury. Nigeria then salvaged a 1-1 draw against Colombia on Sunday.

Nigeria will face North Korea in a final warmup match on June 6, and will play Argentina, Greece and South Korea in its World Cup group.

___

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv), Dele Ayenugba (Beni Yehuda FC), Austine Ejide (Hapoel Petah Tikva)

Defenders: Taye Taiwo (Marseille), Elderson Echiejile (Rennes), Chidi Odiah (CSKA Moscow), Joseph Yobo (Everton), Daniel Shittu (Bolton), Ayodele Adeleye (Sparta Rotterdam), Rabiu Afolabi (Salzburg)

Midfielders: Dickson Etuhu (Fulham), John Obi Mikel (Chelsea), Sani Kaita (Alaniya), Lukman Haruna (Monaco), Ayila Yussuf (Dynamo Kyiv), Peter Osaze (Lokomotiv Moscow)

Forwards: Yakubu Ayegbeni (Everton), Chinedu Obasi (Hoffenheim), Nwankwo Kanu (Portsmouth), Obafemi Martins (Wolfsburg), Ikechukwu Uche (Zaragoza), John Utaka (Portsmouth), Victor Obinna (Malaga).

White Noise

http://www.espnstar.com/football/world-cup/news/detail/item447437/Holland-vs-Ghana-Preview/

Holland vs Ghana Preview

Holland coach Bert van Marwijk will take no risks with his squad in their penultimate World Cup warm-up match against Ghana.

Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben had been troubled by a hip problem, but did join in with the rest of the 23-man squad in a training session at their Austrian altitude camp ahead of the departure for Rotterdam tomorrow morning.

"We will have to look at it," Van Marwijk said.

"Arjen has a little bit of a problem with his hip. It is not serious, but in the run-up to the World Cup, we want as little risk as possible."

The Dutch - who cruised through their qualifying campaign - beat Mexico 2-1 on Wednesday with a brace from Arsenal striker Robin van Persie, fit again following a serious ankle injury.

Van Persie will continue to be monitored following a minor scare when he turned his ankle during training and needed an ice pack.

Like Robben, who helped his German club side reach the final of the Champions League, Van Marwijk is anxious to have the Arsenal forward - sidelined for five months earlier in the season - firing on all cylinders for the opening Group E match against Denmark in Johannesburg on June 14.

Holland will also face Japan and then Cameroon in their last group match, which is why tomorrow's clash was selected with African Nations Cup finalists Ghana, and finalise their preparations against Hungary at the Amsterdam ArenA on Saturday.

The Black Stars - who will be without Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien because of a knee injury in South Africa - have been based in Paris.

Coach Milovan Rajevac intends to give all his players - including Portsmouth's Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sunderland's John Mensah and Fulham defender John Pantsil - the chance to stake their claim for the opening Group D encounter against Serbia in Pretoria on June 13.

"All will get the chance during the warm up games. We would try some things and give opportunities to all," he said.

"It is important to try some options and check on the every detail."

Ghana - who also face Australia and Germany in the finals - will conclude their friendly fixtures against Latvia in Milton Keynes on June 5 before flying out to South Africa.

White Noise

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/05/31/SOCCER_Celtic_Granqvist.html

GRANQVIST INTERESTED IN CELTIC SWITCH

FC Groningen defender Andreas Granqvist will consider a move to Celtic if the Parkhead club follow up their interest in him.

The Sweden international revealed the Parkhead club have watched him but insists they could face competition for his signature, reportedly from Roy Hodgson's Fulham among others.

"There are many clubs who are interested from Scotland, France and Germany," the former Wigan stopper told Swedish television show, Fotbollskanalen.

"Celtic have had me watched several times.

"Celtic currently show the most interest and I am certainly interested.

"Certainly, there is a difference between interest and concrete, but it looks promising.

"My contract has a term of two years at FC Groningen and must be purchased."