more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (24/03/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 23, 2014, 06:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

That Dark Cloud

As we now look towards a home fixture against Everton, to try and secure a Premier League future that is looking less secure by the game, the dark clouds of misfortune continue to gather.

Losing 5-0, against Manchester City yesterday, was a bitter pill to follow but it was indicative of how our season has gone so far.

Once we went behind you just knew that we`d never get back on level terms, not against a side of City`s class and standing.

But in going behind we made it a whopping 22 games in top-flight football, this season, where we`ve conceded the first goal, totally unacceptable and leaving us a mountain to climb on too many occasions.

Also, when your luck is out it is certainly out.

Take the case of our centre back Fernando Amorebieta, the Italian was red-carded for giving away not one but two penalty kicks and in doing so became the first player in the Premier League to concede 2 spot-kicks in one game since February 2010.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=353758#ixzz2woPKIdLV

WhiteJC

Craven Corner: A Fulham fan's take on the defeat at Manchester City

Our Fulham blogger reflects on the 5-0 hammering at Manchester City.

Manchester City away was always going to be difficult, but up until the third goal, Fulham were in the game.

The Whites looked good on the counter, despite lacking a little bit of creativity which would have been provided if Lewis Holtby would have started.

Many times Alex Kacaniklic broke free but failed to look up at his options and was crowded out.

A long ball forward by Man City, saw Fernando Amorebieta make a mistake as he went to hoof the ball into row Z but didn't realise Alvaro Negredo was behind him and fouled the striker nicknamed 'The Beast' by many Manch City fans.

Yaya Toure converted the penalty as expected, but then Fulham had three very clear chances.

Firstly a poor free kick ended up at the feet of Kieran Richardson whose shot went inches wide of Joe Hart's goal from 18 yards.

Then a breakaway, saw Richardson clip the ball beautifully to the back post where Sascha Riether met the ball with his head, but couldn't get it on target from six yards.

Fulham were not bullied by Man City in the first half and one more attack that led to a corner.

Delivered from the right, Amorebieta was climbing and should have scored but he headed well over.

Woodrow looked gutted at the opportunity as he was in the better position to head the ball but the defender climbed over everyone.

Amorebieta lost his head and hacked down David Silva when there was no need to go to the ground – a clear penalty and second yellow card.

Yaya Toure stepped up and went the same way with David Stockdale diving early on both, but you can't expect a keeper to save them.

It was great to see another young player in Patrick Roberts being given his debut this season.

Heitinga moved into centre back after the sending off and Man City continued to apply pressure which was expected with the squad they have.

It's incredibly hard to be at the bottom of the table, 10 men and two goals down away from home.

This is because everytime you push forward you become more vulnerable and give their world-class players more freedom to create.

Yaya Toure completed his hat-trick from around the 25 yards out.

The ball rolled into his path and he just takes one touch and sends it into the far post. That was the game over really, there's no coming back after that.

It was very hard to take as a Fulham fan and I have to admit it's incredibly hard to be writing about something like this.

It's been a heart wrenching season and it will truly take a miracle to survive this season.

With Woodrow and Roberts being introduced, is it a sign that Magath is planning for the Championship? Blooding these players now so that they are ready for the first team next year?

Fernandinho's goal and City's fourth was a great strike no doubt about it, but Stockdale really shouldn't be beaten there considering his starting position.

I still feel he will keep his spot for the next game as it'd be unfair to drop him after a game against Man City, but I personally prefer Maarten Stekelenburg in goal because I feel he's a better goalkeeper in every aspect.

David is a good goalkeeper, but I think he needs to move on from Fulham to develop, but then with a chance of relegation this season would he stay and be number one for next season in the league below? Maybe!

The onslaught continued and there was still another goal to come, the ball fired across the area with Stockdale making the save which fell to Martin Demichelis who tapped it over the line to make it five.

Fulham still have plenty of winnable fixtures but we have to win EVERY home game that remains and possibly pick up points away to Tottenham in April who have had some recent struggles.

Kostas Mitroglou is getting close to full fitness so at least we will have a proven forward once again up top.

No offence to Cauley, he works hard but he just lacks the quality needed at the top level. Holtby needs to be the first name on the team sheet too playing just behind the striker and nowhere else.

Would also like to see Giorgios Karagounis back in the side going forward and Pajtim Kasami, two players who are happy to make things happen in the centre of the park which we lack a little in Kvist and Sidwell ( I know he's a goal threat, but I feel at times he doesn't attempt the killer pass that is needed and attempted by Giorgios or Kasami).

We desperately needed something from Manchester, but the miracle can still happen and it's not over just yet.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/craven_corner_a_fulham_fan_s_take_on_the_defeat_at_manchester_city_1_3468888

WhiteJC

Manager Reaction

Following Fulham's 5-0 defeat at the hands of Manchester City, Manager Felix Magath questioned the decision to award the home side a penalty in the first half, but admitted he was disappointed with the application of his players after they went two down.

The Whites had acquitted themselves admirably during the opening stages of the game at the Etihad Stadium, but the hosts were awarded a spot kick when Fernando Amorebieta was adjudged – by the linesman – to have fouled Alvaro Negredo.

It was a verdict that could have gone either way, while there was also an argument that the first infringement was made outside the box.

"There was contact, sure, but I think it was a moment where we lost the game," Magath said. "For me it was not a penalty, but the decision was so. Until this point I think we did quite well.

"We came here having won last week and we looked forward to a good result. I think we lost confidence after the penalty and after the second penalty we didn't play anymore."

The second spot kick was more clear cut after Amorebieta mistimed his challenge on David Silva, with the Venezuelan subsequently given his marching orders after picking up a second yellow card for the offence.

Yaya Toure stepped up to dispatch his second penalty kick of the afternoon, and it was an uphill task for the 10 men of Fulham thereafter, with another Toure goal – a wonder strike from distance – and efforts from Fernandinho and Martin Demichelis clinching a glamorous scoreline for the hosts.

But Magath was disappointed with what he saw from his side after losing a man, stating: "I'm not happy with how we performed after the second goal because, sure, it was a bad moment for us, they got the second goal and we lost a player, but that's no reason to stop playing. I think we have to play 90 minutes, with 10 or 11 players, it doesn't matter.

"I told you last week that we have to win our home games and that is important for us and so we can look forward to next week [against Everton]. We have to talk about the situation that we don't fight until the end of the game because it's not correct, especially for our fans.

"They came to Manchester and they like us to win or make a good game, and so we have to fight for 90 minutes, not only for 60 minutes."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/22/manager-reaction

WhiteJC

Hangeland: We'll pick ourselves up

Captain Brede Hangeland remains confident Fulham can still beat relegation despite their potentially demoralising 5-0 loss at Manchester City.

Captain Brede Hangeland remains confident Fulham can still beat relegation despite their potentially demoralising 5-0 loss at Manchester City.

Title-chasing City brushed aside the Barclays Premier League's bottom side at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday as they took full advantage of Fernando Amorebieta's sending-off.

The one consolation for the Cottagers was that none of their relegation rivals collected any points either, and Hangeland has not lost appetite for the battle.

The Norwegian defender said: "Obviously you are low when you get beat 5-0. It was a difficult game for us.

"But what can you do? You have to pick yourselves up. There is no point dwelling on any game of football, and definitely not a defeat like this.

"We are going back to London to work on training and prepare for Sunday."

Asked if the squad believed they could stay up, the 32-year-old said: "Very much so. We have quite a few games we know we can win. It is still doable and there is a belief we can do it.

"Time is running out a little bit and we need to pick up results.

"But if we are honest, we didn't expect to win at Man City. We were hoping for something but I suppose in the 'budget' there weren't many points here. We will have to get them elsewhere."

City were not at their best but were still far too strong for Fulham.

Amorebieta was perhaps harshly ruled to have fouled Alvaro Negredo for City's first penalty but there was no debate when he felled David Silva for a second, prompting his dismissal, early in the second half.

Yaya Toure converted both spot-kicks before curling home a sublime third. Fernandinho and Martin Demichelis completed the rout in the closing minutes.

Hangeland said: "I thought we did well first half, but with the two penalties and the sending off, the game in reality was over.

"It was about damage control at that point and we didn't really do that very well."

Fulham face another difficult afternoon as they host Everton next Sunday.

John Heitinga, who swapped the Toffees' European push for Craven Cottage in January, is not fazed by the different and difficult situation he now faces.

The Holland defender said: "I knew when I came to Fulham that it was going to be hard and a long season.

"Hopefully my experience will keep Fulham in the league.

"We will still need to play better. We need to fight to survive.

"There are still seven games to play and most of the games are at home, so we need to keep (getting) the points."

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/englishfootball/barclayspremierleague/barclayspremierleaguenews/hangeland-well-pick-ourselves-up-S11363887043106?