watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

This is the main reason Fulham are bottom

Started by Nick Bateman, March 25, 2014, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

I think NB might be partially correct, as is F(f)CUK.

How many people on here would disagree with the statement that Jol let us down badly by purchasing/loaning aged players, and failed to let then youngsters come thru? From the stuff we saw on here during the Winter of Discontent we just went through, many of you, it seemed. Replacing Mark was just another facet of mismanagement at all levels. Right to point out how well he's done down the road for himself.

I, for one, would rather have still seen Mark and David between the sticks for us, but that's just my opinion.

And the author of this thread posted his opinion, and we ALL need to respect he has one. If you don't like an opinion, you have so many choices, the main two being put forwards a reasoned argument against it, or ignore it, but please don't get into this name-calling, if you feel so strongly do what other posters do, and inform the Mods, I have got emails on this tonight and that's why I'm on this thread, it works, so please let the Mods do their job without making it harder than it has to be, please.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Deanothefulhamfan

I agree with everything Logicalman has said..... Nice post.

The goalkeeping issue is certainly an area that I share a similar view Nick, however I feel Jem has summed up the reason we are bottom perfectly.... We have been extremely poor as a team, and certain individuals have had incredibly disappointing seasons. I could name at least 6 players easily, who I feel have let Fulham down this season.

The goalkeeping is an area which has been poor granted, but I honestly feel Mark would have had the same problems with a terrible back four infront of him....

zschwartz

shwarzer is quality but the gamble on Stekelenburg to not be a psychological mess was worth four million. it may yet pay off... but for the time being Stockdale is the better option and I am grateful to Magath for having been clear minded enough to see why.

Schwarzer saved us many times, it cannot be denied. He is missed but his parting was mutual. He wanted playing time for the world cup and we could not guarantee that. He didn't get it but the prestige of Chelski is more than enough to warrant a call up. I am happy for the man and I am satisfied with Stockdale. There are larger problems.

Nick Bateman

Glad this board has a decent administration unlike the old official one.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Logicalman

Quote from: Nick Bateman on March 27, 2014, 12:01:43 AM
Glad this board has a decent administration unlike the old official one.

Thanks, but definitely not needed NB.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Bassey the warrior

I'm going to go against the tide and disagree. There are things we miss: he was vocal and commanding as well as a natural agile shot stopper and usually very strong in the air. However he was woeful in distribution and for the first half of the season prone to potentially devastating errors most matches. The fact is he is near the end of his career and this was evident.
Stekelenburg has been a disappointment but I would argue he likely would've performed better had he had a longer run of consecutive games. He does offer many of the same attributes (unfortunately including regular errors) but added to that excellent distribution and he's younger.
Stockdale lacks the same presence in his area but he's been less error prone by and large, he also has good distribution.

Bassey the warrior

I feel a loss of form for Riether and Hangeland has been far more devastating. The former was outstanding last season but very average this. Hangeland doesn't seem the same player and for me we need to start the process of Burn either playing alongside or taking over.

Snibbo

Quote from: The Moose on March 27, 2014, 03:23:41 AM
I feel a loss of form for Riether and Hangeland has been far more devastating. The former was outstanding last season but very average this. Hangeland doesn't seem the same player and for me we need to start the process of Burn either playing alongside or taking over.
Yes, Schwarzer had a more effective defence to protect him, whereas Stek has been scandalously unprotected. Reither was always strong in going forward, but prone to being exposed defensively - this season he has been a liability defensively (perhaps because of the overall lack of a defensive system). Brede has been in decline for 2 seasons. Hughes ditto and that partnership was the bedrock of our defence. Personally I don't miss Schwarzer's appalling distribution, and I think he was well past his prime. Remember too, that his occasional Chelsea appearances are with about the best defence in the world in front of him.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Snibbo on March 27, 2014, 03:32:44 AM
Yes, Schwarzer had a more effective defence to protect him, whereas Stek has been scandalously unprotected. Reither was always strong in going forward, but prone to being exposed defensively - this season he has been a liability defensively (perhaps because of the overall lack of a defensive system). Brede has been in decline for 2 seasons. Hughes ditto and that partnership was the bedrock of our defence. Personally I don't miss Schwarzer's appalling distribution, and I think he was well past his prime. Remember too, that his occasional Chelsea appearances are with about the best defence in the world in front of him.
I disagree about Riether. Sure he did get caught out of position but more often than not last season he made up ground and stopped the cross. He did some sterling defensive work and was in the tip three right backs in the league. That's no longer the case for some reason.

gezkc

Quote from: Logicalman on March 26, 2014, 01:47:18 AM
And the author of this thread posted his opinion, and we ALL need to respect he has one. If you don't like an opinion, you have so many choices, the main two being put forwards a reasoned argument against it, or ignore it, but please don't get into this name-calling, if you feel so strongly do what other posters do, and inform the Mods, I have got emails on this tonight and that's why I'm on this thread, it works, so please let the Mods do their job without making it harder than it has to be, please.

I think one of the reasons NB winds people up is that he just bangs on about the same point over and over and over again. The first time he posted about Mark Schwarzer, most people responded with a reasoned argument. The second time he posted, people got a little annoyed as the point had already been thoroughly discussed. The third, fourth and fifth time he posted the exact same point, unsurprisingly people began to get a little bored and frustrated, and unfortunately personal abuse then began to get bandied about.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but what's the point of incessantly repeating that opinion, particularly when it's nonsense to start with?

Baszab

He's right on Stek - his mistakes have been too costly

Some points need to be repeatedly repeated - like Mitroglou being a panic buy and complete waste of money that could have been used much more beneficially elsewhere if the board had planned better in advance

Nick Bateman

Quote from: gezkc on March 27, 2014, 12:32:29 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on March 26, 2014, 01:47:18 AM

I think one of the reasons NB winds people up is that he just bangs on about the same point over and over and over again. The first time he posted about Mark Schwarzer, most people responded with a reasoned argument. The second time he posted, people got a little annoyed as the point had already been thoroughly discussed. The third, fourth and fifth time he posted the exact same point, unsurprisingly people began to get a little bored and frustrated, and unfortunately personal abuse then began to get bandied about.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but what's the point of incessantly repeating that opinion, particularly when it's nonsense to start with?

Was not the case.  I said different things regarding Stek, and different things about Schwarzer.  Unlike some people on this message board, I do vary my arguments and points and only reinforce my views with more examples, which is not simply repeating the same thing.

Some get 'wound up' because they have a very poor counter-point or do not wish to face the truth.  I would love to be wrong and Stek be as good as Schwarzer was or better, but he is not even as good as Stockdale, and that sadly is saying something.

Denver Fulham

Schwarzer had a wonderful run at Fulham but was well past even his post-prime. Letting him walk and being disappointed with Stekelenburg are two entirely different discussions.

Our goalkeeping overall this season, from both Stek and Stock, has been decidedly mediocre. It's a "tribute" to how horrible some other parts of the team have been that this isn't even really a discussion point for why we are where we are at the moment.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Baszab on March 27, 2014, 01:02:34 PM

Some points need to be repeatedly repeated - like Mitroglou being a panic buy and complete waste of money that could have been used much more beneficially elsewhere if the board had planned better in advance

Someone on Twitter (can't remember who) mentioned that with the apparent bid for Finbogasson on deadline day may have been because Mitroglou as found to be carrying an injury that would take too long to heal.  That was rejected but a striker was needed regardless, so we pressed on with the Greek.
Makes a fair bit of sense imo...

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Denver Fulham on March 27, 2014, 04:48:01 PM
Schwarzer had a wonderful run at Fulham but was well past even his post-prime. Letting him walk and being disappointed with Stekelenburg are two entirely different discussions.

When did this happen?  Schwarzer was fantastic as the series of saves shows on that montage of 2012/2013.  He was praised by everyone last season.  He wasn't given a game this season but has been superb for Chelsea the few times they have used him. 

Goalies actually get BETTER with age.

RidgeRider

This..... :plus one:

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: God The Mechanic on March 27, 2014, 04:49:38 PM
Quote from: Baszab on March 27, 2014, 01:02:34 PM

Someone on Twitter (can't remember who) mentioned that with the apparent bid for Finbogasson on deadline day may have been because Mitroglou as found to be carrying an injury that would take too long to heal.  That was rejected but a striker was needed regardless, so we pressed on with the Greek.
Makes a fair bit of sense imo...
That's the risk you run by leaving it till the end of the window. It's happened before with Barrios, Stem (last January), Huddlestone, that guy from Marseille, Taylor and countless more.
Ultimately the desire to get a bargain has cost us dearly.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Nick Bateman on March 27, 2014, 05:08:17 PM

When did this happen?  Schwarzer was fantastic as the series of saves shows on that montage of 2012/2013.  He was praised by everyone last season.  He wasn't given a game this season but has been superb for Chelsea the few times they have used him.  

Not when they're past 40. Schwarzer wasn't saving shots like he used to. The decline was obvious.

If you could "upgrade" to the former Dutch No. 1 who was 10 years younger, it was an absolute no-brainer. This season, anyway, Stek has been disappointing and much closer to his Roma form than anyone hoped.

All that said, our mediocre goalkeeping probably has been our smallest problem of about seven major ones this season.

Logicalman

Quote from: Nick Bateman on March 27, 2014, 05:08:17 PM

When did this happen?  Schwarzer was fantastic as the series of saves shows on that montage of 2012/2013.  He was praised by everyone last season.  He wasn't given a game this season but has been superb for Chelsea the few times they have used him. 

Got to say Nick, the guy made a few bloopers in his last season with us, his distribution was less than it should have been, but his saves were still superbe.