watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (01/06/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 01, 2010, 07:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2559/rumours/2010/05/31/1951212/aston-villa-sunderland-join-birmingham-city-in-pursuit-of-fulham-?
Aston Villa & Sunderland join Birmingham City in pursuit of Fulham forward Bobby Zamora - report

Aston Villa and Sunderland are reported to have joined Birmingham City in the race to secure the signature of Fulham striker Bobby Zamora.

The Blues have been linked with a move for the 29-year-old for some time now, but it is believed that manager Alex McLeish is playing the waiting game to get to know more about the player's Achilles injury.

Zamora was a pivotal presence for the Cottagers during their remarkable run in the Europa League last season, but will be denied European football next term after the London-based club finished 12th in the Premier League.

However, The Sun reports that Villa have now come into the fray, and could use European football to lure the player away from Craven Cottage.

Meanwhile, Sunderland are also said to be interested in procuring the services of Zamora.

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/england/7789822/England-World-Cup-squad-Roy-Hodgson-knows-how-tough-Fabio-Capellos-task-is.html?
England World Cup squad: Roy Hodgson knows how tough Fabio Capello's task is
In taking a team to a World Cup you are putting the players in a cage. It's a golden cage but it's still a kind of prison, even if it's a luxury one.

By Roy Hodgson

Tough task: Roy Hodgson says that England manager Fabio Capello will have a delicate balancing act to deal with at the World Cup Photo: ACTION IMAGES

It's why squad selection is so important. Whenever a World Cup comes around I'm transported back to 1994. Switzerland had qualified for their first major tournament in 32 years and I was their coach.
Even in a small football nation like Switzerland there are more than 23 contenders for the squad and the regional bias meant there was no shortage of media advice.

Mike Kelly, my assistant, told me that I should consider taking some players who may not be as useful in the games as they would be off-the-field and in the dressing-room. His argument was that we didn't need 23 players – in any World Cup squad there will be at least five or six players who don't get a game - so don't leave behind the "good lads".

I chose to ignore this advice, opting for what I thought was a more professional approach by doubling up in positions, ensuring that each one was covered by a similar player to the first-choice. I left behind several players whom I knew and trusted in favour of more "suitable" cover players.

This decision rankles with me even today. The five I should have left at home I took and the five I should have taken, I left at home.

In choosing a squad, some coaches go totally on form. I tend to go on what qualities players have and accept they will have good games and bad games. The other problem for any World Cup manager is occupying players' time. The squad gets together very soon after the league season ends and their enthusiasm will be extraordinary. Training will be intense and you will see smiling faces all around.

The problem is how to retain this freshness and prevent the players becoming bored and homesick, or disillusioned because they are not in the starting line-up.

Keeping the wives happy is another test. For the players to be happy, they don't want unhappy phone calls from wives and girlfriends. That's another headache for the manager. You don't expect him to be taking care of that but it is something that will, unfortunately, come into his horizon. How many times do you let the players see their wives?

The tournament is not just about is six or seven games, it's the whole two months of preparation. During that time the players constantly need to be challenged, but the danger is you may not be able to challenge them enough because there aren't enough games, or aren't enough possibilities during the training sessions because you have the games in mind.
In 2006, Jurgen Klinsmann had many novel ideas – go-karting and so on - but, no doubt, he would have been ridiculed had Germany fared less well. Fans do not expect to see players having fun outside the footballing arena.

There are no easy answers to these questions. Being aware of the pitfalls is the best anyone can do. One thing is for sure, however – you are likely to have some bored or disgruntled players and, as coach, that is when you hope there are other strong leaders in the dressing room to help deal with the problems.

Fabio Capello and his management team have been extremely thorough and professional in their build-up to this World Cup campaign. The choice of training venues in Austria and Rustenburg, the excellent hotels, the provision of leisure time activities have all been planned and researched.

Whatever happens in South Africa, I know that the England team will be well-prepared and ready for the challenges ahead. I wish them all the best.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=7204
The calm before the storm
by DAN on MAY 31, 2010

Summer's a strange time for a football fan. You should be relaxing, chucking a bit more meat on the barbeque and enjoying lazy weekends without pondering what the starting line-up might look like, but it never really works like that. There's always a niggling doubt at the back of your mind: the redtops have been linking your star player with a move away, the manager's reputation has gone through the roof over the last nine months and apparently he might be tempted by a big job. Then, there's the pre-season fixtures to digest (should we get worked up about a pre-season friendly against Brentford?) and that's all just in case you've forgotten it's a World Cup year.

I thoroughly enjoyed my flick through one of the World Cup previews tucked inside the Sunday papers yesterday. One reckoned Mark Schwarzer, an Arsenal target according to the tabloids, could be the best goalkeeper in the Premier League. It's not a bad shout – and confirms what Fulham and Middlesbrough fans have known for years. Another had John Pantsil as probably the most improved full-back in the English game. One pull-out included an interview with Dickson Etuhu and a write-up on South Africa's chances at their own tournament (Bafana Bafana have been making quiet progress since Carlos Alberto Parreira returned to coach them) mentioned Kagisho Dikagcoi as one of the coach's favourites. Most of the English observers were still pretty snobbish about the Americans, but that's nothing new, is it?

I'm sure it'll change by the time the squads are announced and we get down to business but I'm still struggling to get excited about the World Cup. Perhaps it was because Fulham's season was one the like of which might never be seen again. All those people who told you that Europe would ruin our half were spectacularly wrong, weren't they? Reaching the final surpassed everybody's expectations, as Danny Murphy fully acknowledged in a Europa League review programme that I caught the tail end of on ESPN the other day, but just as impressive was the fact that Roy Hodgson was never really concerned about our survival prospects.

The fact that mid-table security was achieved in spite of another wretched season on the road was remarkable. Fulham might have saved our best away performances for Europe but there has to be a way to make us a bit more competitive away from the Cottage in the league. Hodgson still sets us sides up not to get beaten, which means we're high on organisation but low on creativity. Plenty of the regular travellers bemoan our cautious attitude but to be a bit more adventurous away would require a different type of player pulling the strings.

And that takes us back to the hack's favourite summer past-time: rumour-mongering. Making an educated guess on who Roy will sign is pretty difficult when you don't have much of an idea about the budget he's been sent to the supermarket with. The areas to strengthen are interesting. A back-up goalkeeper might be a sound investment (what with Pascal Zuberbuhler not likely to deputise for Schwarzer forever and David Stockdale still some way from overtaking the Australian), but you'd reckon Hodgson's focus will be elsewhere. Perhaps on a new centre back to replace the departing Chris Smalling.

As much as I admire Murphy, time's fast catching up with the Fulham skipper. On his day, he remains the best passer of a ball Fulham have, but there were signs towards the end of last season that Danny was beginning to struggle to cope with the physical demands of two games a week. Wayne Brown seems set to team up with Paul Trollope at Bristol Rovers on a permanent basis and it still remains a little fanciful to think that Jonathan Greening would be able to slot into Murphy's shoes effortlessly. A younger playmaker who could be groomed to eventually takeover from the captain in central midfield would be ideal and, given how short we were of bodies in the engine room last season, bringing in a bit of experience as cover might not be a bad idea.

A striker must be on the wishlist too – even if I'm slowly getting over the disappointment of Nikola Zigic moving to Birmingham. Much will depend on how Roy seeks to play next season. The Zamora/Gera axis worked well in the second half of the season, but Fulham's opponents will have seen enough of that by now to formulate a plan to nullify those threats. With Kamara and Nevland on their way out and Andy Johnson's long-term fitness still best surmised by a question mark, a couple of goalgetters would be useful additions – although strikers don't come cheap.

Even if the manager's phone doesn't stop ringing and the media try to pass over a nonsense story as news, you still get the sense that this is the calm before the storm. Anyone who's anyone will be scouting for a new addition in South Africa and that first weekend of the season still seems years away. It'll flash by quicker than you think.

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/aston-villa/villa-enter-striker-race-1066123.html?
Villa enter striker race

Aston Villa have joined the queue of clubs who are hoping to lure Bobby Zamora away from Fulham this summer.

Zamora was in the form of his life last season as the Cottagers made it through to the Europa League Final and now Fulham face a battle to keep hold of him.

Birmingham have been strongly linked and have already failed with one offer for the striker, while Sunderland are also keeping an eye on developments.

Now Villa boss Martin O'Neill has also joined the race as he looks to add a new striker to his ranks. O'Neill last week missed out on Nikola Zigic who opted to sign for Birmingham and he could now turn his attention to Zamora.

Fulham will do all they can to keep hold but may have to cash in if a bidding war hikes the price up.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/5/31/1494610/cottagers-daily-rumor-mill-update?
Cottagers Daily Rumor Mill Update: Celtic could be pushing for two potential Fulham transfer targets

I have written prior about rumors of two potential transfer targets for Fulham. Today, reports have Celtic being interested in Joe Ledley and Andreas Granqvist . If Roy Hodgson is seriously interested in either of these players he might have some stiff competition from Celtic.

I had a post on May 25th regarding Cardiff's Joe Ledley and possible interest from Fulham and Rangers.  This information was according to the Scottish Sun. This article also mentioned that West Ham, Blackburn, and Stoke City were all monitoring the availability of the Wales midfielder. 

Today I saw a story regarding Celtic having interest in Joe Ledley. According to the Daily Record article by Keith Jackson, Ledley has become an important potential transfer option for interim manager Neil Lennon. The article also states that Lennon is expected to be named permanent manager tomorrow. Finally , the story also mentions that once Lennon becomes manager he is going to be very involved in the English transfer scene. It sounds like Fulham and Rangers might have some competition for Ledley.

I also had a post on May 28th regarding Andreas Granqvist and possible interest from Fulham and Newcastle United. This information was according to a story in De Telegraaf. This story also mentions that Wolfsburg, Schalke 04, and HSV are also interested in the Swedish Defender.

Today I saw a story in the Daily Express regarding possible interest from Celtic in Andreas Granqvist. The Swedish striker currently plays for Dutch club FC Groningen. This Daily Express article by Gary Keown  has quotes from Granqvist.

Granqvist  said: "There is a difference between interest and actual deals, but it looks promising. "Celtic have been to see me in most games and that is certainly interesting." These quotes are according to the Gary Keown article in the Daily Express.

Based on these articles today on Joe Ledley and Andreas Granqvist, Celtic might really be making a push on two potential transfer targets for Fulham. I will be following the stories on these two players with regards to anymore interest from the Cottagers.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200379
Fulham - Looking Towards Europe for Signings!
Roy Hodgson has a squad to strengthen this summer but the tabloid press have been surprisingly slow in coming up with reported targets.

Today though, the Daily Grapevine has at least managed to come up with two!

The first of these is the Racing Genk midfielder, Daniel Tozser

Tozser, a Hungarian, is twenty-five years of age and is a midfielder. He joined Racing Genk from AEK Athens for a fee of £1.5 million although the indications expressed on the grapevine are that he could be snared for £2.5 million.

The second nomination by the Daily Grapevine is the FC Groningen centre back, Andreas Granqvist

Granqvist has previous Premier League experience with Wigan but didn`t enjoy the best of times. But, having rebuilt his career in Dutch football he now finds that he`s a target, reportedly, for Fulham and Wolfsburg.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200379#ixzz0pa7rpMXS

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200373
Fulham - Zamora's A Wanted Man!
With Birmingham City having already stated their intentions to pursue Bobby Zamora this summer, other clubs have now joined the race.

Birmingham`s near neighbours, Aston Villa, have, according to reports, already declared an interest and now it appears that Sunderland, led by Steve Bruce, would also like the 19 goal striker on their books.

Out of the three, if Bobby did decide to go, we`d surmise that Aston Villa, who can offer Europa League football, would be the more attractive option, that`s if Bobby decides he`d like a change to life down by the river!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200373#ixzz0pa8EhV00

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200372
Fulham - Pantsil Makes Squad!
Our congratulations go to John Pantsil after the Ghanaian was selected for his countries squad for the World Cup, in South Africa.

Pantsil, as we`re all aware, picked up a nasty injury in the defeat at Stamford Bridge, against Chelsea in December, with the initial synopsis being that his World Cup participation was in doubt.

Now, John heads off to South Africa, fully fit and raring to do his bit to guide Ghana through to the knockout stages via Group D.

He goes with our best wishes.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=200372#ixzz0pa8aZxct

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6182480/Schwarzer-expects-ball-to-provide-a-test?
Schwarzer expects ball to provide a test

Fulham star Mark Schwarzer says the new World Cup ball will test goalkeepers to the full - especially at altitude.

The Australia and Fulham number one is grateful he has 19 days of preparation in South Africa before their opening game against Germany on June 13.

Schwarzer, who is likely to face Denmark in a warm-up match tomorrow in Johannesburg after recovering from a thumb injury, said: "The ball is difficult.

"You have got to take time to adjust to it. That's why being here so much earlier is enabling us to do that.

"It's not pretty but everyone is in the same boat and you just have to get on with it."

Blackburn midfielder Brett Emerton is unlikely to be risked by coach Pim Verbeek after returning to full training following a calf injury. Harry Kewell also looks certain to sit out the game due to a groin problem.

WhiteJC

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/wigan-athletic-fc/127201-ex-wigan-athletic-defender-wanted-by-celtic-fc,-newcastle-united-and-fulham-fc.html?
Ex-Wigan Athletic defender wanted by Celtic FC, Newcastle United and Fulham FC

According to reports Celtic FC, Newcastle United and Fulham FC are battling it out for the signature of former Wigan Athletic defender Andreas Granqvist.

The FC Groningen stopper expressed last week an ambition to move to a bigger club.

Newcastle United and Fulham have reportedly already been linked with the defender.

The Daily Express claims Celtic are believed on the trail of five-times capped Swedish international defender Granqvist.

The player himself has admitted a deal looks "promising".

The 25-year-old former Latic has spent the last two years at Groningen in Holland.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6182585,00.html?
Park attracts Prem interest
South Korea star linked with Fulham, Everton and Villa

Monaco striker Park Chu-young could be on his way to the Premier League after being linked to a number of clubs.

The 24-year-old, who is set to spearhead South Korea's attack during the World Cup this summer, has been linked with a move to Fulham, Everton and Aston Villa.
Park admits he is flattered with the speculation, but says he is happy with life at Stade Louis II.

"It's always a good feeling when other teams show interest in you," he said.

"I'm happy here at Monaco and the club have looked after me well. I don't feel like leaving so soon."

Park, formerly of FC Seoul, played 22 games for Monaco last season, finding the back of the net nine times.

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/fulham-review-200910/?
Fulham Review 2009/10
Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude

The all new Fulham Review, in controversial midnight blue (I've used all the other colours)...

Finally off at the printers (the hours that have gone into this one...).

Now up to 158 pages (that's a lot more than ever before), with everything you usually get, David Lloyd's TOOFIF editorials to lend substance and structure, and about 50 pages exploring Roy's earlier career (all good, I promise!).    Should be available in about a week.  More details then.

WhiteJC

BBC Sport - Football - Crystal Palace face threat of liquidation
Crystal Palace face threat of liquidation

Crystal Palace could be liquidated unless the group trying to buy the club can seal a deal by 1500 BST on Tuesday.

CPFC 2010 has been given the deadline by Brendan Guilfoyle, the administrator put in charge of the Eagles in January.
The group has agreed terms on a deal to buy the club but will not proceed until they secure Selhurst Park, which is being sold by Bank of Scotland.

But a statement from CPFC 2010 on the Palace website says the deal presented by the bank is "unworkable".
Fans held a demonstration at Selhurst Park on Monday to highlight the club's plight.

CPFC 2010, a group of local businessmen headed by Palace fans Steve Parish and Martin Long, were named as the administrators' preferred bidders in March.

However, with the deadline to buy the club now looming, the Championship club could be no more if the consortium fails to reach an agreement to buy Selhurst Park.

Guilfoyle admitted he was "genuinely concerned" about the liquidation threat and said if a deal was not reached he would have to start selling Palace's best players.

CPFC 2010's statement read: "We are trying to acquire both Crystal Palace Football Club and Selhurst Park.
"Everyone would agree Selhurst Park is pivotal to the long-term future of the club and CPFC 2010 have always made it clear they will not proceed without securing it.

"We reached what we thought was an agreement with Bank of Scotland, who are the major creditor of Selhurst Park Ltd.
"Subsequent to this agreement we have been sent a contract that does not reflect this agreement and is unworkable."
The sticking point in the negotiations appears to be over how much money the bank would receive if Selhurst Park was resold in the future.

Bank of Scotland has agreed to sell the ground to CPFC 2010 for a price lower than what a property developer may be prepared to pay but has asked for a share of any profit if it was sold again.

The consortium claims it has agreed to an "anti-embarrassment clause that allows the bank to see a further return if we realise greater value from the ground in the future."

However, the two parties now seem to disagree on how much that "further return" would be.

The statement continued: "It seems that the bank want to make an unlimited return in the future even if that value is created on the back of the success of the football club or money we have invested in a new infrastructure.

"We believe that the maximum they should make is the difference between what we will pay for the land as a football ground and what a property developer will pay now as a development opportunity plus interest."

Should the deal fall through, Guilfoyle said he had already received bids from other clubs to buy Palace players. But CPFC 2010 has indicated to him its offer will be withdrawn if players are sold.

Guilfoyle told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I've already made the calls [to other clubs]. What I'll actually do after the deadline is start selling players. The enquiries are out, offers have been received.

"There are a number of players who have value but once they're sold and if no-one else comes in then I'll have to resign, walk away and then the liquidation process will re-start.

"I am now genuinely concerned because I can't let the thing drift on into June.

"The staff at Palace have not been paid since the end of April. I can deal with that by selling the club's star players but what CPFC 2010 have said is if you start selling players we'll no longer be interested.

"If I start selling players - and I will because I have to - I'm not confident CPFC 2010 will still be around. In those circumstances I haven't got anyone to buy the club because they have, for a long time, been the only show in town."
The CPFC 2010 statement concluded by calling on Prime Minister David Cameron to intervene.

"Bank of Scotland is currently government owned," it points out. "As such we would urge the new Prime Minister to intervene personally to resolve the situation or see a club supported by many thousands, and with a 100-year history, consigned to the scrapheap."

Palace avoided relegation from the Championship under manager Paul Hart on the final day of the season with a 2-2 draw at Sheffield Wednesday that condemned the Owls to League One.

It was just another twist in a turbulent year so far after the club was docked 10 points for going into administration in January.

Manager Neil Warnock left to join QPR and star striker Victor Moses was sold to Premier League side Wigan.

The club currently does not have the money to pay its staff their wages for May and on Friday made 29 people redundant.
Midfielder Darren Ambrose, who has been linked with a move to QPR, goalkeeper Julian Speroni and defender Clint Hill are among the players who are likely to attract the attention of other clubs if Palace are forced to sell.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282947/West-Brom-set-unveil-Atletico-Madrid-defender-Pablo-Ibanez.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
West Brom set to unveil Atletico Madrid defender Pablo Ibanez

West Bromwich Albion expect to complete the signing of the former Spanish international central defender Pablo Ibanez, 28, on a free transfer from Atletico Madrid on Tuesday.

The Bank Holiday delayed the completion of the deal as Albion were awaiting results from Ibanez's medical.

West Brom are also set to bank around £3million from Jonathan Greening completing his move to Fulham after spending last season there on loan.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282947/West-Brom-set-unveil-Atletico-Madrid-defender-Pablo-Ibanez.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0paBzuPgI

WhiteJC

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/burnley-fc/127210-fulham-fc-target-burnley-fc-defender-bikey.html?
Fulham FC target Burnley FC defender Bikey

According to reports Fulham FC boss Roy Hodgson is hoping to land Burnley FC centre-back Andre Bikey.

The defender, who is currently with Cameroon's World Cup squad, is believed to have impressed the Craven Cottage boss this season.

The Daily Star Sunday claims Hodgson is willing to hand Bikey an immediate return to the Premier League at Fulham.

The Lancashire Telegraph backs up the story, claiming the Cottagers have been linked with a £1 million move.

The paper understands Hodgson wants to secure a deal quickly and so a potential price hike should Bikey perform well in the World Cup.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 01, 2010, 11:33:26 AM
http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/burnley-fc/127210-fulham-fc-target-burnley-fc-defender-bikey.html?
Fulham FC target Burnley FC defender Bikey

According to reports Fulham FC boss Roy Hodgson is hoping to land Burnley FC centre-back Andre Bikey.

The defender, who is currently with Cameroon's World Cup squad, is believed to have impressed the Craven Cottage boss this season.

The Daily Star Sunday claims Hodgson is willing to hand Bikey an immediate return to the Premier League at Fulham.

The Lancashire Telegraph backs up the story, claiming the Cottagers have been linked with a £1 million move.

The paper understands Hodgson wants to secure a deal quickly and so a potential price hike should Bikey perform well in the World Cup.
oh dear i hope this one isn't true.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/June/BriggsUnder19Qualification.aspx?
Briggs' European Joy

Fulham's Matthew Briggs helped England's Under 19s qualify for the UEFA European U19 Championship.

England secured their place in the Finals for the third consecutive year following Monday's draw with Ukraine in Kiev.

Briggs played his part in the back line before being substituted on 51 minutes.

England recorded victories over Bosnia-Herzegovina and the Republic of Ireland, with Briggs taking part for the full 90 minutes against Ireland.

The Finals take place in northern France in July and August.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/June/BriggsUnder19Qualification.aspx?#ixzz0pbIHPK4D

WhiteJC

http://www.premiershiptalk.com/2010/06/01/europa-league-story-fulham/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PremiershipTalk+%28Premiership+Talk%29
Europa League Story: Fulham

When Fulham survived on the last day of the season in 2008, they didn't know what an adventure they would go on in the seasons to follow. Roy Hodgson had amazingly kept the Cottagers up despite them being bottom at Christmas; only West Brom had ever stayed after being in that position on the 25th of December.

The next season they performed over expectations, finishing seventh, which meant a place in the new Europa League – something that only one year earlier they would only have dreamt of.

Their Europa League journey began in the third qualifying round with a two legged tie against Lithuanian champions FK Vetra. In the first leg away they won 3-0 with Bobby Zamora, Seol Ki-Hyeon, and Danny Murphy scoring the goals. At Craven Cottage they won with the same scoreline, making it a 6-0 aggregate victory. This time Dickson Etuhu and a double from US international Eddie Johnson sealed the win.

In the play-off round Fulham were drawn with Russian side Amkar Perm, who had finished fourth in the Russian Premier League. The first leg was held at Fulham, and 13,000 spectators turned up to see the Whites win 3-1 on the night with goals from Eddie Johnson, Clint Dempsey, and Bobby Zamora. Vitali Grishin scored the consolation for Amkar who had it all to do at home. In the second leg it was quiet until the last minute when the game sprung to life with a goal from Martin Kushev. Unfortunately for the Russians it wasn't enough and Fulham went through to the group stages.

Fulham had to play Roma of Italy, FC Basle of Switzerland, and CSKA Sofia of Bulgaria. In their first match they traveled to Bulgaria to face Sofia. The tight game ended in a 1-1 draw, with Diomansy Kamara scoring for Fulham.

After the CSKA Sofia game they had two home games to enjoy. Roma and FC Basle were the visitors to the Cottage and they came away with two respectable results, a 1-0 win over FC Basle and a 1-1 draw with Roma. In the Basle match Danny Murphy scored a stunning goal from the edge of the box, which was a contender for goal of the month. Against Roma a stoppage time goal from Andreolli denied Fulham the three points after a Brede Hangeland opener.

In the return game in Rome, Fulham lost 2-1 despite taking the lead through Diomansy Kamara. Ex-Liverpool left-back John Arne Riise and Fulham-player-to-be Stefano Okaka scored the goals for Roma.

Two wins in December against Basle and Sofia ensured a place in the next round. At home to Sofia Fulham won 1-0 with a Zoltan Gera goal. In Switzerland the Cottagers won 3-2; Bobby Zamora scored two goals and Gera scored the other. Basle strikers Alex Frei and Marco Streller made it hard watching for Fulham fans.

After a Europa League-free January, the Whites were back and had to get past last year's UEFA Cup champions Shakhtar Donetsk. Not many people gave Fulham a chance. Winning 2-1 in London they had the advantage going into the second leg in Ukraine. A 1-1 draw meant Fulham had secured a place in the last 16. Brede Hangeland, Zoltan Gera, and Bobby Zamora were the goalscorers in the two ties.

An even harder challenge awaited: Juventus! The favorites had stars like Fabio Cannavaro, Diego, and David Trezeguet in their side – no wonder they were expected to win. When Juve won 3-1 in the first leg everyone wrote off Fulham, but they came back to prove everyone wrong once again. An astonishing 4-1 victory at Craven Cottage left fans wondering if they could go all the way.

How about the German champions? Could Fulham do it again? Well that looked very likely when they were 2-0 up with 15 minutes to go in the first leg after goals from Zamora and Duff against Wolfsburg. Sadly for Fulham fans, Wolfsburg got the vital away goal which could prove key in the second leg. Unfortunately for Wolfsburg, Fulham managed to score within 21 seconds in the second leg. A stunning goal from Bobby Zamora was followed by constant bombardment from the Germans but with no success. Fulham had done it again!

Now they were two steps away from the final, with Hamburg standing in their way. Hodgson's men prevented Hamburg from scoring in the first leg, although they did fail to score themselves. At 0-0, though, they had every chance in the second leg. When leg two did come around Fulham were well prepared and managed to win 2-1, with Simon Davies and Zoltan Gera cancelling out Mladen Petric's brilliant free-kick.

They had done it! Fulham FC, a club which could now be playing in the Championship if it wasn't for Hodgson's heroics, had managed to reach a European final, a feat deemed impossible a few seasons back by Fulham fans.

Why stop there? Atletico Madrid are a good team, but Fulham had beaten Holders Shaktah, favorites Juventus, German champions Wolfsburg, and the final's hosts Hamburg. Surely Atletico Madrid were in reach.

The final had kicked off and after thirty minutes there was a goal. Atletico had gone in front, with Diego Forlan showing why he's rated so highly by slipping in Sergio Aguero's scuffed shot.

Once again Fulham responded and not long after they were level. It seemed to take a long time for Fulham to score after Bobby Zamora decided against it, and the ball seemed to go everywhere before falling to Simon Davies whose powerful shot found its way into the back of the net.

The rest of the ninety minutes were played with end to end football, a similar theme in extra time. With four minutes of extra time remaining, though, Atletico got what they wanted. A cross went straight to Diego Forlan whose shot went in off Brede Hangeland. They had won it!

It was a sad way to end a tournament where Fulham had played so well. This season will be remembered as the one where Roy Hodgson guided little Fulham to the big time. It may also be remembered as the season where Bobby Zamora found some form, something he'd failed to do since scoring the goal to promote West Ham in 2005.

It was an excellent season for Fulham, but for many of their stars it's time for the World Cup!

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2010/06/01/1952976/fulham-manager-roy-hodgson-i-have-not-heard-from-inter?
Fulham manager Roy Hodgson: I have not heard from Inter
Cottagers' boss not ruling out move to Italy...

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has hinted that he may be willing to return to ply his trade at Inter, following the exit of Jose Mourinho to Real Madrid.

The Cottagers' boss previously took the Italian club to the finals of the UEFA Cup in 1997, before the squad he built during his reign went on to win the competition in 1998 under the care of his successor Luigi Simoni.

Following his dream run with the London club, in which he guided them all the way to the finals of the Europa League, the former Finland boss was linked with the vacant managerial position at the San Siro.

Meanwhile, England boss Fabio Capello and Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez have also been linked with the post at the helm of the Italian and European champions.

"Capello to Inter? I don't know," Hodgson told Sky Sport Italia.

"I heard he wants to stay with England, but it's impossible to know the truth as to what will happen.

"Benitez to Inter? I don't know. There is lots of speculation on him and his future, first Juve, then Inter, but I heard he wants to remain with Liverpool as I think he has a four-year deal there.

"Me to Inter? I am surprised. I don't know. I have not spoken to anyone. I have not heard from Inter. My name is in the same speculation as Benitez and Capello.

"I am under contract with Fulham, and I am happy there. When I hear something then we will see, but I cannot say anything at the moment."

For now, indeed, the gaffer is hoping to recharge his batteries before sorting out the uncertainty surrounding his future at Craven Cottage.

"It was a year to remember for a club like Fulham," he said. "There's no secrets, hard work, a good squad that follows you and that they give the work you ask from them.

"We got lots of good results, but we played many games, 63.

"[But now] I need a holiday, it's the first time I feel like I need one."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/06/01/on-the-spot-simon-davies-82029-26563288/?
On the spot: Simon Davies

FULHAM midfielder Simon Davies reveals which one of his team-mates he'd least like to face, why Zoltan Gera isn't allowed near the CD player in the dressing room and his dreams of becoming a golfer!

Holiday with the missus or away with the lads?

Away with the missus, I have to say that!

First car?

Peugeot 2006

First wage?

I didn't have the time to work! I was travelling every weekend from Wales to Peterborough.

Worst thing a manager has said to you?

You're playing right-back!

Worst dressed player at the club?

Zoltan Gera

Worst taste in music at the club?

Zoltan Gera. I've heard a few things from his car and I don't know what it is!

First CD?

Michael Jackson's Bad.

What's the last thing you downloaded for your ipod?

The Stone Roses

Who did you support as a boy?

Man Utd

Most skilful player at the club?

Clint Dempsey

Favourite female?

Eva Mendes

Biggest joker?

Bobby Zamora

What would you be if you weren't a footballer?

A golfer