more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (01/04/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 31, 2014, 08:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Brede: We're Still Confident

Brede Hangeland believes the level of performance shown against Everton will earn us wins in our forthcoming matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozAthKGUK98

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/31/brede-reaction?

WhiteJC

We Can Still Do It?

After the latest defeat, this time at the hands of Everton at Craven Cottage yesterday, the relegation trap-door appears to be opening for us.

We`re five points adrift of safety and the games are fast running out, some (including me) suggest it`ll take a miracle for us to stay up now.

However Felix Magath, who has never been in charge of a relegated team, maintains his usual air of optimism, remarking to the media after our latest loss,

"We can still make it. The players are down but we will try again next week."

"We need four wins from our last six games. I knew this job would be difficult but you have to take risks."

"We wanted to win this game and when we went 1-1, we thought we could."

"It was a very important game but we have lost."

"It`s disappointing as it was our best game since I have been here. We made lots of chances."

Indeed we did, once Dejagah had scored that wonderful goal, to drag us back to 1-1, we had the impetus and the Everton goal lived a charmed life.

But, once again, 'Lady Luck` wasn`t smiling upon us and Everton got the break their recent form suggested they might do.

At the end of the game the Fulham players were slumped, on their haunches, giving off the impression that they`re also starting to realize the game is up.

Felix may talk about winning four games out of the last six, it`s his job to be positive, but can you see Fulham getting 12 points out of the 18 currently available?

Unfortunately, I can`t!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=354651#ixzz2xZLadlt2

WhiteJC

Heitinga explains how Fulham can beat drop

Defender reckons they can still pull off the great escape

Fulham defender John Heitinga
John Heitinga admits he knew what he was letting himself in for when he joined Fulham - but insists where there's life, there's hope.             
The Dutch defender sported a mask for a facial injury that made him look more like Zorro than a zero even though his side lost 3-1 at home to Everton yesterday.
But even though Heitinga saw more of the ball than he would wish, there were moments when Fulham could have won as they threw the kitchen sink at the second half only to be left feeling washed up.
He said: "We have to believe and we have to fight. There is still 18 points to play for.
"Most of the games we are playing, we are the team with less possession. It means you need to defend more. I knew it was going to be tough when I joined, but when I see the quality in the squad and the performance yesterday, we have to keep fighting.
"We played really well, especially in the first half.
"We were a little bit unlucky that we did not score the first goal. They changed, tactically, in the second half (Everton's, Russell) Osman was playing more as a midfielder, which was hard to deal with.
"We had a couple of chances to go 2-1 up but did not score. When they scored the third, it was game over."           

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/heitinga-explains-how-fulham-can-6895852?

WhiteJC

Dembélé Reflects

Moussa Dembélé was understandably downbeat after his full debut for the Club ended in defeat against Everton, but the teenager promised the team will give all they can to preserve their top-flight status.

Fulham were on top for large spells against a strong Everton outfit on Sunday afternoon, but after Ashkan Dejagah had cancelled out a massively unfortunate own goal from David Stockdale, the Toffees secured a 3-1 win through Kevin Mirallas and Steven Naismith.

"It's hard to take the loss but we have to keep going," Dembélé told fulhamfc.com. "We have keep our heads up and make sure we're ready for the next game.

"Of course, it was an unlucky defeat but we have to keep going and keep fighting for the next matches because there are still six games to go.

"We played very well against Everton and that gives us confidence because we know we have the quality and the potential to stay in the Premier League, and I believe we will."

The 17-year-old led the Whites line with admirable conviction and didn't look at all out of place on his first start. Indeed, he almost put his side in front on the stroke of half-time when he escaped the attentions of Seamus Coleman to meet Lewis Holtby's cross, but Tim Howard was equal to his header.

"If I had scored it could have been a different game," he admitted. "But I didn't so we had to try to keep our heads up and give it another go. I'm not pleased with my performance because we lost the game and it's always good to win.

"But, of course, to play was good for me. I was feeling a bit nervous before the match but it's a game of football so I just tried to enjoy myself and work hard for the team and for the Club."

After Dejagah's breathtaking equaliser, Fulham had chances to take the lead but Howard was equal to efforts from John Heitinga and Pajtim Kasami.

And while Dembélé admitted the result may have been more favourable if one of those chances had been taken, he's keen to move on ahead of Saturday's clash away to Aston Villa.

"It could be different but the game is finished now," he stated. "Yes, it was unlucky for us but we have to move on and keep our head up for the next game.

"It is a big one at Villa and we have to make sure that we're ready for this game."

Fulham will be roared on by a capacity away support of almost 3,000 in the Midlands at the weekend, and Dembélé is keen for more of the same following an electric atmosphere at the Cottage against Everton.

"The fans were very good," the Frenchman admitted. "They supported us throughout the 90 minutes, even when we were losing. That's why this is such a good Club; the fans are right behind the boys and it's good for us to hear that."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/31/dembele-reflects?

WhiteJC

Magath refuses to throw in the towel but Fulham's shortcomings look set to wreck relegation fight

Down time: John Stones consoles Lewis Holtby at the final whistle

Time is quickly running out for Fulham. A 3-1 defeat pushed Felix Magath's side a step closer to the Championship and left Arsenal looking over their shoulder with Everton closing in on the final Champions League spot.

Magath remains optimistic he can navigate a route to survival but this was an opportunity missed. Fulham will travel to Aston Villa on Saturday five points from safety — six when you factor goal difference — desperately needing a win to give their faint survival hopes a shot in the arm.

They now have only six games to climb out of the relegation zone and it is looking increasingly likely that their 13-year stay in the Premier League will come to an end in May. Magath, who insists he will remain at Craven Cottage if Fulham go down, knows this was a fixture they needed to be win if they are to stay up.

While it may have been one of Fulham's best showings of the season, their shortcomings in front of goal and more defensive errors do not instil confidence for the challenge ahead. American owner Shahid Khan will today be facing up to the financial implications of relegation but John Heitinga believes they can still survive.

"There are 18 points to play for, so we have to believe and we have to fight," said the defender. "If the team can perform like we did yesterday, who knows what can happen. We deserve credit for the way we played but it was not enough. I knew it was going to be tough when I joined but when I see the quality in the squad and the performance yesterday, it tells me that we have to keep fighting."

Fulham were the better side in the first half but went behind through goalkeeper David Stockdale's own goal shortly after the interval. Ashkan Dejagah equalised before Heitinga and Pajtim Kasami squandered good chances, and that failure to add a second cost the home side. Kevin Mirallas and Steven Naismith gave Everton victory. Magath, who has targeted four wins to survive, said: "We did not play like a relegated team. I know that we can still make it. It is very disappointing but, if we play like that again, let's see what happens. I am disappointed but we will go on and we will try next week."

Everton move four points behind Arsenal with a game in hand and face Arsene Wenger's side this weekend in a match that will be crucial in the race for fourth. Win that one — at Goodison Park on Sunday — and Roberto Martinez's side will be in the driving seat to secure Champions League qualification.

Arsenal have a more inviting run-in than Everton, who still have to play both Manchester clubs, and Tim Howard believes the Gunners remain favourites to finish fourth.

The Everton goalkeeper said: "It is in our hands because we have a game in hand and we have to play them, but they still have that  four-point lead so it will be difficult. We are on the outside looking in, but we are in the fight and winning on Sunday will be important to keep on their heels.

"Two weeks ago we were looking to catch Tottenham and now we are asking ourselves, 'can we catch Arsenal?'. We still have a sour taste in our mouth about losing at Emirates Stadium in the FA Cup earlier this season, so we will try and put that right at home. We are looking forward to the challenge."

Fulham, meanwhile, face a fraught end to the season.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/magath-refuses-to-throw-in-the-towel-but-fulhams-shortcomings-look-set-to-wreck-relegation-fight-9226088.html

WhiteJC

Craven Corner: A Fulham fan's take on the defeat to Everton

Our Fulham blogger gives his verdict on the 3-1 reverse at home to the Toffees

I don't think many fans would have expected to see Moussa Dembele start that game.

This will sound silly, if you didn't get to watch the game but we really didn't deserve to lose 1-3 and Fulham had some unbelievable chances which fell to the inexperienced which may have been scored by a proven striker in Kostas Mitroglou (when he's fit) or even Darren Bent (dare I say it...).

But I'm not saying that Dembele had a bad game, because in all honesty he had a tough battle against Sylvain Distin and John Stones, but he stood his ground and he had some chances of his own as well setting up Kieran Richardson in the first half.

But there was signs that Fulham have become a 45 minute team again, our first half was nearly a polar opposite to our second 45.

In the first half, everyone pushed as unit and we pressed Everton back. This pressure allowed chances to happen with Tim Howard denying Kieran Richardson with his feet and Lewis Holtby, Moussa Dembele, Pajtim Kasami all going close who should have scored.

David Stockdale retained his place in the starting eleven and he made some good saves in the first half and commanded his box very well.

Luckily, I only sit a few rows away from the touchline, and Felix Magath is correct about David being more vocal (ed: Stockdale could be heard from the press box!) even though our Dutch goalkeeper is probably the more talented shot-stopper.

But Fulham looked strong throughout the first half and although Gerard Deulofeu caused a few problems against John Arne Riise, the back four dealt with their attacking players very well.

It was a sad moment when Ross Barkley got injured especially as England Manager, Roy Hodgson was sat in the crowd.

But his injury would spark Everton's second half performance with his replacement, Steven Naismith being the key to unlocking Magath's Fulham.

The Scot was energetic and creative and became the heart of every Everton attack, and their breakthrough came from an extremely strange set-piece.

The corner was whipped in but David Stockdale came to collect the ball and missed it, this meant the English goalkeeper was out of position when Steven Naismith smashed the ball goalwards but with David Stockdale backstepping to his goal line the ball took a ricochet off William Kvist and then off Stockdale's shin to find it's way into the net.

That has to be about the 20th deflected goal we have conceded this season?

As the ball trickled over the line, the Hammersmith End fell silent - it seemed every fan's heart sunk as Fulham were the better team until this point, but we knew we had to pick the lads up and chants on COME ON YOU WHITTEEEESSSS started and a double substitution soon followed.

Kieran Richardson & William Kvist were replaced by Ashkan Dejagah and young Cauley Woodrow with the system changing to a 4-4-2.

Holtby sat deeper to partner Steven Sidwell in the centre, Kasami and Dejagah would play out wide with Woodrow partnering Dembele up top.

The Iranian winger changed the game - we finally had a player on the pitch who wanted to run at defenders and get to the touchline, his been reborn under Felix Magath and his goal was simply spectacular.

If you missed Match Of The Day, you'll have to find a way of watching it, it's simply sensational.

Dejagah picked the ball up on the left hand side, did a few stepovers and beat his man and unleashed a thunderbolt from about 20 yards which beat Tim Howard at his near post - the bend on the ball looked sensational from behind the goal too. I thought this would have been our turning point in the game and we would kick on after being unlucky to go 1-0 down.

But Everton turned it up a gear and Aiden McGeady found Kevin Mirallas in acres of space who made it look easy, but our defence was a shambles as it was Ashkhan Dejgah who was closest to the Belgian as he ran through which is simply bizarre!

Moussa Dembele was then replaced by young Patrick Roberts, which I didn't think was the greatest move as we needed an experienced forward on the field and I honestly believed that Darren Bent would have been a great option around the 70 minute mark especially as he has scored 4 goals in his last 6 games against Everton.

But with Roberts introduction, Kasami played more central and his through balls created more chances with Tim Howard denying Johnny Heitinga from close range and Cauley Woodrow came close too.

Everton then wrapped the game up with Steven Naismith tapping past Stockdale and that was game over.

But although we missed out on the three points, we have to still believe.

Our remaining fixtures this season are all winnable, with the hardest going to be away to Tottenham especially as it means Lewis Holtby would be unavailable for this fixture due to his loan contract.

But we need four wins to survive and we still have to play the likes of Hull, Norwich, Aston Villa, Stoke, Spurs and Crystal Palace.

Looking at those games we must be able to pick up 12 at least from a possible 18, a full 18 would cement safety.

Aston Villa away game is a sell out and I'm glad to see all the fans still going strong throughout this poor campaign.

Still believe boys, it's not over yet! Remember, we have the £12m Mitroglou hopefully available next weekend and if we have an experienced forward at the end of the chances we had against Everton we'll be winning most of those games!

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/craven_corner_a_fulham_fan_s_take_on_the_defeat_to_everton_1_3511296

WhiteJC

Fulham defender Sascha Riether refuses to be drawn on his future

Sascha Riether: Refused to be drawn on his future at Fulham

Sascha Riether is remaining coy on his future, insisting his full focus remains on helping Fulham stay in the Premier League.

The futures of a number of Fulham players have been the subject of speculation in recent weeks as the club battles to stay up.

German defender Riether still has over a year to run on his contract at Craven Cottage, but he has refused to give assurances over his long-term future.

"I don't think we should speak about the future, we have six games left and we believe we can stay in the league," Riether told the Fulham Chronicle.

Meanwhile, Moussa Dembele has admitted he had mixed feelings after making his full debut for the club in the 3-1 defeat to Everton.

The 17-year-old started up front for Felix Magath's side, but could not prevent Fulham from going down to another defeat to leave them five points adrift of safety with just six games left in the campaign.

Dembele, who came close to scoring in the first half when his header was saved by Tim Howard, insists Fulham must now dust themselves down and get ready for this weekend's clash with Aston Villa.

"If I had scored it could have been a different game," he admitted. "But I didn't so we had to try to keep our heads up and give it another go. I'm not pleased with my performance because we lost the game and it's always good to win.

"But, of course, to play was good for me. I was feeling a bit nervous before the match but it's a game of football so I just tried to enjoy myself and work hard for the team and for the club."

"It could be different but the game is finished now. Yes, it was unlucky for us but we have to move on and keep our head up for the next game.

"It is a big one at Villa and we have to make sure that we're ready for this game."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9242396?

WhiteJC

Darren Bent insists he has firepower to propel Fulham clear of relegation
• Bent at odds with Felix Magath over his fitness
• Striker must miss Villa match due to loan deal

Darren Bent has refuted Felix Magath's suggestion that he is not fit to warrant inclusion in the Fulham first-team and expressed disappointment at the peripheral role he has commanded on loan at the Premier League's bottom club.

The former England striker arrived at Craven Cottage last summer after rejecting the chance to join Crystal Palace on a 12-month loan from Aston Villa. He has started only 10 league games all season under Martin Jol, René Meulensteen and Magath, and has not benefited from any game-time at all since the defeat at Cardiff on 8 March even in the absence of the record signing, Kostas Mitroglou.

Magath has preferred the youthful energy, enthusiasm and no little skill of Cauley Woodrow, Moussa Dembélé and Patrick Roberts, a reflection of the consistent excellence of Fulham's academy sides at under-18 and under-21 levels. In explaining his decision not to use Bent against Everton on Sunday, Magath had said: "Darren had a problem on Thursday and he left the training session. It was better to put the players in who are really fit."

Yet that explanation perplexed the 30-year-old, who is contracted to Villa until 2015. "I trained on Saturday," Bent said. "I'd taken a knock and limped off quite early in training on Thursday but I've trained since and felt fine on Sunday. It is just disappointing. I was fine to play. I am disappointed not to feature, especially in games like the Everton match where you feel that you can definitely affect the game, when your team needs a goal. Over the years I have managed to produce quite a few of those.

"When the team got back to 1-1 you are thinking: 'You can make a difference here.' But once again it was not to be. That part is disappointing. When you are a substitute in any game, it is disappointing, but especially today. All I can do is stay positive and keep working. It is getting difficult to see how I can contribute now as I can't play next week against Villa, because of the loan. I am here, up for selection and more than willing to play. That is what I do, that is what I love to do. That will never change. At this stage of the season you need goals. You need firepower. If I am called on, I am ready to go. If I start up front, I am ready to go."

The defeat to Everton left Fulham at the foot of the table, five points from West Bromwich Albion in 17th place, with six games to play. Their hopes of extending their 13-year stay in the top flight look to be dependent on making a maximum return from their three remaining home games, against Norwich, Hull and Palace.

"It is going to be hard to stay up but we have still got to keep believing and keep working hard," Bent said. "I thought we played well against Everton. There's no reason why we can't win four matches. Fulham have escaped over the years when they've been written off but people will have to step up."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/31/darren-bent-fulham-felix-magath?

WhiteJC

Manager Reaction

Felix Magath claims that Fulham's performance in the defeat by Everton was not one of a team in the relegation mire.

The Whites dominated the first half but were unable to find a way past Tim Howard, and found themselves one down early in the second period.

An incredible Ashkan Dejagah strike levelled the score and Fulham saw golden opportunities to go in front squandered as Howard produced excellent saves to deny John Heitinga and Pajtim Kasami.

The stops proved vital as the Toffees ended up taking the points through substitutes Kevin Mirallas and Steven Naismith, but Magath believes we can take heart from the way the team played against the Champions League chasing Merseysiders.

"It was a very important game today and unfortunately we lost this important game," he said. "The result is very disappointing but, if you have seen the game, you saw how we played, I think it was our best game until now.

"We created a lot of chances but unfortunately we didn't make enough goals so it was a defeat but we played our best game. I think the players are very, very disappointed now but if you play so well [in future matches] we will see what happens."

He continued: "I'm disappointed today but we will go on and we will try next week again. I know that we can still make it because Everton is one of the best teams at the moment. Everton will maybe go on to take the fourth place in the league.

"For me, it was a game where there was no team that should be relegated because we played better than a relegated team, so if we have done it [played well] today, we can do it next week again."

Fulham bossed the shot count in Sunday's lunchtime encounter and had 23 efforts on goal – nine more than Everton – but a combination of wayward finishing and reliable goalkeeping from Howard ultimately proved costly.

"That is football, that is sport," Magath admitted. "To play football you need to score and to avoid goals, that is the sense of the game. We played very, very well but we didn't score so it was not the right way for the right result.

"We didn't play today like a relegated team. It was against Everton, one of the best teams. It was a very good game and we created a lot of chances and what we did today was very good.

"We will have to take risks. We equalised in the second half and we wanted to win so, sure, you can play more defence but if you want a win and you need a win then you need to take risks. We took risks and we went forward and we created chances, but you have to score."

The German has been known to keep fans guessing with his team selections and he sprung another surprise against the Toffees by handing 17-year-old Moussa Dembélé a full debut.

The young striker proved a handful for the Everton backline and went close to scoring with a header in first half stoppage time.

Magath – who is targeting four more wins to survive – said of the Frenchman: "He is a player who is very talented who is smelling the situations in the box. He had a great chance before half time but unfortunately the keeper saved."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/march/30/manager-reaction?