watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dejagah as a striker

Started by SimpleTactics, April 04, 2014, 04:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimpleTactics

I know its not really the time to experiment too much but as Dejagah has been one if not the most clinical finisher for us in recent games why not play him as our front man. He has pace, skill and the ability to score one on ones. Even if we play more of a false nine with him and another attacking winger like Kaca / Kasami and then have Hotby as the play maker. I might be clutching at straws but for me Dejagah is one of the few players I have faith in and I feel he could contribute more than the other options we currently have. Im not sure if he is even 100% fit but it could be quite effective.

Northern Cottager

Quote from: SimpleTactics on April 04, 2014, 04:50:37 PM
I know its not really the time to experiment too much but as Dejagah has been one if not the most clinical finisher for us in recent games why not play him as our front man. He has pace, skill and the ability to score one on ones. Even if we play more of a false nine with him and another attacking winger like Kaca / Kasami and then have Hotby as the play maker. I might be clutching at straws but for me Dejagah is one of the few players I have faith in and I feel he could contribute more than the other options we currently have. Im not sure if he is even 100% fit but it could be quite effective.

He's been one of the better players this year...he will be on the bench tomorrow...

SimpleTactics

Quote from: Northern Cottager on April 04, 2014, 04:51:16 PM
Quote from: SimpleTactics on April 04, 2014, 04:50:37 PM

He's been one of the better players this year...he will be on the bench tomorrow...

Haha

Herbie

I wouldn't classify him as a clinical finisher. For me his best position is on the wing, cutting in when possible and unleashing a thunderbolt.

I don't think his strengths are poaching a goal in the penalty area or holding up play to bring teammates in.

Holders

It's interesting to see his resurgence under Felix (who knew him from before) as he was sidelined under Rene. Can't see him as a striker though.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

SimpleTactics

Quote from: Herbie on April 04, 2014, 06:01:50 PM
I wouldn't classify him as a clinical finisher. For me his best position is on the wing, cutting in when possible and unleashing a thunderbolt.

I don't think his strengths are poaching a goal in the penalty area or holding up play to bring teammates in.

thats why I like the idea of a false nine with him Holtby and Kaca / Kasami

YoungsBitter

But he only gets space to cut in and take his shot if there is a striker pulling apart the two CBs. The interesting change with Felix is playing him left so he cuts in on to his right foot rather than what we all assumed was his best position which is right wing ahead of Riether.
Quark, strangeness and charm

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

DukeTyrion

Sidwell has scored a lot of goals this season too, but he is certainly not a striker.

BestOfBrede

DukeTyrion

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on April 04, 2014, 07:30:42 PM

What's a 'false nine"  ?

It's a 5 with way too much make-up viewed through beer goggles.

ChesterTheTabby

Make him the wide left hand side forward. He has rocketed 3 goals in recently... don't ruin a decent formula for the lad.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

PokerMatt

Follow me: @mattdjourno

cmg

I think a 'false 9' is a centre-forward who doesn't score any goals - unless he's Lionel Messi, in which case it doesn't matter much what you call him...'Sir' is probably best.

SimpleTactics

Quote from: cmg on April 04, 2014, 10:09:01 PM

I think a 'false 9' is a centre-forward who doesn't score any goals - unless he's Lionel Messi, in which case it doesn't matter much what you call him...'Sir' is probably best.

thats it. Have holtby at the CF with his creativity then Dejagah and another player playing off him and running onto the through balls.

cmg

Quote from: SimpleTactics on April 04, 2014, 10:19:32 PM
Quote from: cmg on April 04, 2014, 10:09:01 PM

and Hidegkuti himslef managed a fair share of goals
thats it. Have holtby at the CF with his creativity then Dejagah and another player playing off him and running onto the through balls.

Having given it a bit of thought, and, with great difficulty, trying to be serious for a moment, it seems to me that this might have started with Hidegkuti (Hungary) back in the 50s. When they kicked off at Wembley in 53, Hidegkuti (no.9) dropped back behind the inside forwards and the England centre-half (they only used one in those days) had no clue who to mark. It helped that the two inside-forwards were Puskas and Kocsis, two of the greatest goalscorers of all time, although Hidegkuti also netted his share.
Alfredo di Stefano would seem also to have fitted into this role. He played pretty deep, but, as one of the most talented of all footballers, he could play anywhere and get a shedload of goals.
Don Revie, later Leeds and England manager, was always described as a 'deep lying centre-forward' in his Leeds and Manchester City days. Which is slightly ironical, as he later became adept at a different sort of lying.

Snibbo

HatterDon

Dejagah is like Dempsey. He tries poo. He doesn't care about missing; he wants to go for it. He's good at firing at the edge of the penalty area, and he likes to make late runs towards goal. Over in Fulham USA, he's known as The Iranian Dempsey.

Oh, like Dempsey, he's not a striker -- like Dempsey, however, he could still lead a team in goals. Had Jol started him early this season, he'd probably be our goal leader.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Neil D

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on April 04, 2014, 07:30:42 PM

What's a 'false nine"  ?
The fact that only cmg has made a serious (and informative) stab at answering this sensible question suggests that most punters don't have a clue.