more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (04/04/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 03, 2014, 06:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Paul Lambert: No way back for Bent despite Benteke blow

Boss reiterates Darren Bent has no future at Aston Villa and will not be recalled despite season-ending injury for Christian Benteke

Darren Bent has no future at Villa, Paul Lambert has re-iterated, despite Christian Benteke's shattering injury blow.

Even with Benteke out for the rest of this season and the start of next season, Lambert will not consider recalling the record signing.

Lambert insists Villa have "moved on" from when Bent was an important member of their squad.

Bent, who is ineligible to play for Fulham at Villa Park on Saturday under the terms of his loan, will return to Villa in pre-season for the final year of his contract.

But, as if it needed stating, Lambert has confirmed that the £24 million former England striker's Villa career is over.

Asked if Bent will be part of his plans during the final year of his contract next season, Lambert replied: "No, the club's moved on.

"Darren has not really played for me for two years. Obviously he's been on loan at Fulham, here we've had Christian's form and that's football. Whatever happens at the end of the season will happen."

Lambert confirmed Fulham did not have an option-to-buy Bent built into his season-long loan.

"No, he comes back. If they want to buy Darren it's an avenue they can go through, so we'll just wait and see."

It is hoped Villa can find a taker for Bent this summer at a vastly-reduced price either permanently or on another long loan. The futures of Bent, Shay Given and Alan Hutton will be on the agenda when Lambert meets chairman Randy Lerner to discuss his playing budget this summer.

Bent and Hutton have a year left on their contracts, while Given has two years remaining, even though the trio of top earners are surplus to requirements.

"I think the money and the wages will be a conversation I have with Randy at the end," added Lambert.

"When it's all finished and done and dusted I'm pretty sure him and I will sit down somewhere and discuss what's going to happen."

Bent has been over-looked for selection by Cottagers boss Felix Magath in recent weeks despite insisting that he is fit for duty.

Lambert is not concerned in the slightest whether Villa's biggest buy plays any part in the bottom club's battle against survival.

"I don't know," said Lambert. "You're better off asking Felix Magath.

"He'll be the one that will decide if Darren will play or not. He's the manager of their club and he'll make the choice for himself."

Benteke's crushing absence, with a ruptured Achilles heel that requires surgery, could give on-loan targetman Grant Holt a chance.

Holt has been used sparingly since arriving from Wigan in January on a short term deal until the end of the season, originally as cover for injured Libor Kozak.

The 32-year-old striker has been on the substitutes bench most weeks ahead of young forwards Nicklas Helenius and Jordan Bowery.

With Gabby Agbonlahor also battling a sickness bug ahead of Saturday's home match against Fulham, teenage rookie Callum Robinson could get game time to offer striking support to Andi Weimann.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-no-way-back-6916803?

WhiteJC

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger sets his sights on Fulham starlet Patrick Roberts
Fulham teenager Patrick Roberts, who made his senior debut as a substitute away at Manchester City last month, is a target for Arsenal

Tyro: Patrick Roberts (right) in action for Fulham reserves Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Arsenal are chasing Fulham teenager Patrick Roberts, who is considered one of the best young talents in the country.

Roberts made his Fulham senior debut as a substitute away at Manchester City last month and also played nine minutes of the 3-1 defeat to Everton.

The 17-year-old forward only signed his first professional contract with Fulham in February. That deal runs until 2016, but it has not put off Arsenal.

Roberts can play behind a central striker or come in from the right and has impressed Arsenal scouts with his dribbling and technique. Manchester United are also big fans.

Arsenal signed Theo Walcott in a deal worth a revised £9.1m and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for £15 million as teenagers from Southampton, and club scouts believe Roberts can be just as good.

Despite making a substitute appearance for Fulham's first team against Everton on Sunday, Roberts played in the FA Youth Cup first-leg semi-final draw with Reading on Tuesday night and scored the equalising goal.

Having stepped up from the Under-16s, Roberts has scored four goals in nine appearances for England's Under-17s.

Despite the fact Fulham are bottom of the Premier League table, manager Felix Magath has made it clear he will give Roberts plenty of first-team experience – whether it is in the top flight or the Championship.

"Pat is a very big talent and he will have a great career in front of him, so I think it is good for him to make the experience now in the Premier League, so he will get used to it," said Magath.

"He will be a player that we need in the future."

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger has confirmed he has been handed an injury boost ahead of Sunday's vital Premier League game against fifth-placed Everton.

Aaron Ramsey, who has been out since Boxing Day with a thigh injury, has returned to full training and is expected to be in the Arsenal squad that travels to Goodison Park.

"Aaron and Nacho Monreal are back training with the squad, so that is good news," said Wenger.

"Hopefully they will be available for Sunday. Diaby is back on the pitches, so that is good news.

"At the moment that is all because the other injured players are not back, not Jack Wilshere, not Mesut Ozil. *Laurent Koscielny *is still out. The earliest he will be back is next week, the latest is the week after.

The FA Cup will be too soon for Özil, but he will hopefully be back soon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10743671/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-sets-his-sights-on-Fulham-starlet-Patrick-Roberts.html

WhiteJC

Felix Magath insists he has no problem with Fulham star Darren Bent
FELIX MAGATH has held clear-the-air talks with Darren Bent.

The Fulham striker hit out at his boss after last Saturday's 3-1 defeat at home to Everton insisting he was fit to play.

However, Magath left him on the bench as a precaution after he pulled up in training the day before.

And the German revealed: "Darren came to me on Tuesday and we talked together. It's fine for me.

"It's normal you have discussion about such things. He stopped training on Friday.

"He left the pitch to go to the medicine staff and he didn't train. On Saturday he was better and he told me 'I'm fine' so I decided to take him on the bench. He is a player we need.

"The risk was to let him play was too high because he cancelled the training on Friday."

Magath might have missed a trick, though, as Bent can't even face his parent club Aston Villa tomorrow.

The Villa loanee has struggled for both form and fitness this season - scoring just six goals in 28 games.

And the rift with Bent isn't the only fight Magath faces.

The German's job is on the line if he fails to keep the Cottagers in the Premier League this season and as they sit rock-bottom with six games to go that looks like an impossible task.

But Magath insists he and owner Shahid Khan remain united in their ambitions for Fulham.

He added: "Yesterday I had a phone call with the owner and everything is fine.

"He knows the situation, he knows how things work. I have no doubt about my contract. I don't worry about it.

"It's normal if things in clubs don't go well you have everywhere people who make politics, who call journalists and tell them "I know that is going on," but I don't care.

"I'm here to build up a team. That was clear from the beginning. I like to develop teams, I like to develop players so therefore so I'm here. I will be here next season and I will do that here at Fulham."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/372767/Felix-Magath-insists-he-has-no-problem-with-Fulham-star-Darren-Bent

WhiteJC

Six cup finals to go.

by andersons11.

Fulham haven't been well known for winning much, anyone who has watched Fulham for a bit will be able to tell you this. Even a cursory glance at a Google search will confirm this. That being said Fulham are about to embark upon the most important six match run in recent history. Whether we will see shades of 07/08 or go out with a whimper is yet to be seen.

Villa, Norwich, Spurs, Hull, Stoke and Palace is an easier run in that that of our opponents in the relegation table, but based on the way the squad has played this season it is not enough. All of these matches are winnable, and while in seasons past you could pick a few of these matches for Fulham to be a dead cert winner, this year some of the matches have been lost before a ball has been kicked.

Under a few matches of Rene's ill-fated term and the past few of Felix's, notably Everton, the squad seems to have reinvigorated themselves, which is a good sign. However, we have yet to see matches to the whistle, a bit worrying considering our position. That being said, it is exactly this that is why we are bottom of the table.

In the end it's the effort that counts. We all know that Fulham won't win every match and that's part of why a surprise away win at Arsenal or a blow out of Norwich at home. For most of the season the effort put forth by our players for lack of better terms has been appalling, and even then that is tame for some of the matches we have witnessed.

We just want our squad to fight to the last minute, show passion and effort. It's not too much to ask for people who take home in a few weeks what many of us make in a years' time? Throughout this season very few of our players have shown this. Sidwell is the exception, every minute on the pitch he personifies what any Fulham supporter would try to do in his position. What really makes you think, and it's a bit sad really is our most passionate player in the most recent weeks will be packing his bags and returning to White Hart Lane at the end of the season.

Six matches to go which will determine the future of London's oldest top flight club and regardless of what happens at the end of the season, who comes in and who goes, we the supporters will remain. In the end, in this new age of football, it is really the supporter who makes the club. There are days when I yearn for Haynes, to look on the pitch and think "Yes, he is one of us" and with the youth coming up, we might just have someone like that. Those are the types of players who, while not necessarily English will bleed for the White.

Six to go, and win, lose or draw at the final whistle versus Crystal Palace. Let's hope that the eleven players on the pitch make us proud of their effort and give us memories. Here's to hoping the effort that is put forth become yet another famous date in our club's long history. West Ham in 75, Portsmouth in 08, the entirety of our Europa league campaign in 2010 in recent history. If by some miracle we stay up Palace will become another "I was there" said with pride, rather than disdain.

Supporters will surely be there, but will the players be?

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=482

WhiteJC

Villa Win Will All But Condemn Fulham To Relegation

ASTON VILLA v FULHAM 15:00; Villa Park

Villa were well beaten at Old Trafford last weekend, but it might have been different had they not wasted a few very presentable opportunities that came their way, or, specifically, to striker Christian Benteke.  The defeat shouldn't make a great deal of difference to Paul Lambert's young team: they have an eight-point lead over the bottom three so shouldn't be in any danger now; but they'll be disappointed they've followed up their excellent win over Chelsea three weeks ago with two defeats.  They have the chance to cement their top flight position and kill off the survival hopes of another for good with the visit of Fulham.

The loss of Benteke for up to six months to a ruptured Achilles injury is a big blow for Villa and the player himself.  It means Grant Holt may get a rare start up front.  Midfielder Karim El Ahmadi is a doubt due to a thigh injury.

The home defeat to Everton last Saturday suggested Fulham's players have themselves lost belief in the team's ability to escape relegation.  Although they cancelled out Everton's opening goal with a stunning strike from Ashkan Dejagah, there seemed an inevitability about defeat once Everton regained the lead eight minutes later.

Their third manager this season, Felix Magath, has pledged to stay at the club beyond the end of this season, no matter if they are relegated, which at least provides the club with some continuity ahead of the challenge of winning promotion straight back from the Championship.  Considering the extent of the Cottagers' struggle this season compared with any of their previous campaigns in an impressive 13-year stay in the Premier League, it makes one wonder if they'd be in this predicament if they'd kept Martin Jol as manager.

What to watch out for: This fixture has a tendency to produce drab affairs, with only six goals scored in the past five meetings.  Fulham have won none of their last 14 games at Villa Park and have not shut out an opponent away from home in 15 games.  Villa should edge it by the odd goal.

Possible line-ups:

Villa – Guzan; Bacuña, Baker, Vlaar, Bertrand, Westwood, Delph, Albrighton, Weimann, Agbonlahor, Holt

Fulham – Stockdale; Riether, Hangeland, Heitinga, Richardson, Dejagah, Sidwell, Holtby, Diarra, Kacaniklic, Woodrow

Recent form: Villa – DLWWLL; Fulham – DLLWLL

Prediction: 1-0

http://www.footymatters.com/articles/english-football/premier-league/premier-league-preview/villa-win-will-all-but-condemn-fulham-to-relegation/?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Aston Villa v Fulham match preview

It's crunch time for Fulham. Defeat by Everton at Craven Cottage last Sunday left Felix Magath's side five points from safety with just six Premier League games to play. Add their poor goal difference to the mix, plus that relegation rivals Sunderland, West Brom and Crystal Palace all have games in hand and it's clear to see why bookmakers believe Fulham's 13-year stay in the Premier League will come to an end at the end of the season. Put simply, it's time to win. Now.

Fulham have conceded 73 goals in the league - more than any other side - and have struggled in attack too, averaging less than a goal a game. In recent weeks, Magath has picked youngsters Cauley Woodrow and Moussa Dembele up front, leaving Darren Bent - ineligible against his parent club this weekend - on the bench.

While Fulham have disappointed, Aston Villa have been consistent and will feel they need at least three more points to ensure Premier League safety. Paul Lambert's side were impressive against Chelsea in mid-March, but have conceded eight goals in their last two fixtures - at home to Stoke and away at Manchester United.

Christian Benteke has scored three in his last four games, and should have been on target at Old Trafford last weekend too. Villa's top scorer has scored 10 league goals and could prove the difference against a leaky defence.

KICK-OFF: Saturday, 3pm

PAST THREE MEETINGS:

Fulham 2 (Sidwell, Berbatov pen) Aston Villa 0, Premier League, December 2013

Aston Villa 1 (N'Zogbia) Fulham 1 (Delph og), Premier League, April 2013

Fulham 1 (Baird) Aston Villa 0, Premier League, October 2012

STATS:

Fulham have not won at Villa in their last 12 attempts. Their last success was in January 1999, a 2-0 FA Cup fourth round win.

Felix Magath's reign at Fulham has yielded only four points from six games.

Victory for Villa would see them match their home points tally from last season (20).

Villa have won out of their last three home matches.

ODDS:

Aston Villa to win: 1.90

Fulham to win: 4.00

Draw: 3.60

TV: Highlights on BBC1 at 10.25pm.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-aston-villa-v-fulham-match-preview-9237580.html

WhiteJC

Preview: Having never lost to Fulham at Villa Park in the Premier League, is Lambert going to achieve what no manager before him has?

Christian Benteke will be out of action for around 6 months with an Achilles tendon injury, inflicted during training on Thursday afternoon. Benteke will now miss the rest of the domestic season and this summer's World Cup in Brazil, proving both a blow for Villa and Belgium respectively.

This will now provide Lambert with a selection dilemma for the Fulham game and the vital run in to the end of the season:

"It's a terrible blow both for Christian and for the club. He will miss the rest of the season, obviously, and also the World Cup."

Villa have maintained a similar line up for the majority of the season with a front three of Agbonlahor, Benteke and Weimann, with Kozak playing a cameo role before his leg break.

With Benteke and Kozak on the long term injury list, Gabby missing Thursday's training session with illness and Jordan Bowery on loan at Doncaster, what attacking trio will Lambert line up with against bottom of the table Fulham?

We can expect that Lambert will have Marc Albrighton and Andreas Weimann as two thirds of Villa's attacking trio.

But will we see Weimann pushed into the middle as the main striker? If so, will we see the return of the underperforming Aleksandar Tonev on the wing?

Or will we see the premature return of Gabby because of the lack of, or, unproven talent? Or will Grant Holt make just his second start in claret and blue since his January loan move? Or will Lambert give a chance to academy graduate Callum Robinson?

A lot of questions on the lips of Aston Villa fans
Our opponents, Fulham, will be boosted by the news of Villa's attacking injuries. However, they haven't had much luck in the attacking department themselves this season. Since the turn of the year, Dimitar Berbatov has joined Monaco, Darren Bent and Hugo Rodallega have slipped down the pecking order and Kostas Mitroglou has struggled to settle since his January transfer from Olympiakos.

This has seen Magath hand out two debuts to teenagers Cauley Woodrow and Moussa Dembélé (not to be confused with the Spurs midfielder) in his short tenure as Fulham manager.

Despite Bent being unable to play in Saturday's clash because of his loan move restrictions, would he have played if these restrictions had not been in place? Bent has been in disappointing form, reportedly being unsettled and struggling with fitness, despite him rubbishing these reports.

Talking of players struggling for form, since his magnificent performance to keep Eden Hazard quiet, which is not an easy feat, Leandro Bacuna has showcased why he is not a right back. I'm a huge fan of the Dutchman and he has been a magnificent stand in while doubt has hung over the head of Matthew Lowton.

However, the past two games have shown why he is not a right back. Eight goals conceded in 2 games and giving away a rash penalty at Old Trafford are the prime example.

Me, and I'm presuming a lot of other Villa fans, would rather see Lowton back in at right back and see Bacuna push forward to play on the right side of a middle three, in place of Karim El Ahmadi.

Before these two games, optimism was growing around Villa Park after the results, and the performances, of the 4-1 and 1-0 wins over Norwich and Chelsea respectively. Villa have failed to kick on and there is now a feeling of uncertainty going into the business end of the season.

Back to back 4-1 defeats against rivals Stoke City, and a struggling Manchester United, have put Villa back to square one, when they had the chance to make ground on relegation rivals in the same fashion that Stoke have done.

Prior to the Stoke game, both sides were in the exact same position, of mid-table obscurity on 34 points. Now, two games on, Stoke have hit the 'magic' number 40 and are 14 points off the relegation zone essentially guaranteeing safety, something which Lambert will be aiming for.

With 34 points, 7 games to go, struggling with form and star striker Benteke out, Lambert will want to hit the ground running against Fulham. Despite it being widely known that Villa's home record this season has been notoriously inconsistent, such as losing to Crystal Palace 1-0 on Boxing Day to beating high fliers Chelsea 1-0 midway through March, Fulham could be the perfect team to play.

Although Fulham have Premier League survival to spur them on, along with an arguably easier run in of fixtures compared to other relegation rivals, they have really struggled this season.

Since the turn of the year, Fulham have only one Premier League win to their name, a 1-0 win against Newcastle at home during March. The once usual stable and placid club have had a season of turmoil and misery.

Fulham have seen three managers in one season, there is uncertainty over Magath's future and rumours of Alan Curbishley taking over at the end of the season, despite only just being recently sacked as technical director, after only just two months in the role.

Ageing and underperforming players, such as John Arne Riise and Scott Parker, coupled with terrible January transfer window signings, has seen Fulham's misery worsen. Deadline day signings, Larnell Cole and Ryan Tunnicliffe, made by then manager Rene Meulensteen, have already been shipped out on loan by Magath, while £12.4 million club record signing Mitroglou, has failed to score and only made two appearances for the club.

With doubt surrounding both clubs at the moment, one thing for certain is that this will be a fiercely competitive contest with both sides desperate for the three points. Villa have never lost to Fulham at Villa Park in the Premier League, and Lambert will be hoping to extend this run.

http://www.thevillablog.co.uk/aston-villa-blog/aston-villa-views/preview-having-never-lost-to-fulham-at-villa-park-in-the-premier-league-is-lambert-going-to-achieve-what-no-manager-before-him-has/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AVFCBlog+%28Aston+Villa+Blog%29