watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Final score saying Holtby effort went over the line

Started by Toby Ward-Smith, April 05, 2014, 05:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Ward-Smith

The commentator on final score and the group of them at the match for BBC said that they have looked at a number of replays and believe that Holtby's effort blocked by Lowton was over the line. I have never trusted goal line technology and this almost certainly proves it doesn't work on a few occasions.

westcliffchil

But the important thing is that the two previous goals did count. What a great moral boost for Players and supporters.

Nick Bateman

Yes I saw the replay where they can 'doctor' it to suit their technology.  It was controversial at Wimbledon for many years and who is to say where the line can be drawn on grass accurately to that degree??
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

RaySmith

Macedo

Yes Motson said they looked at it few times.It was over line he thinks.
But Holtby should have thumped it in open goal.
Still it all worked out fine.

Count Berbatov

Could a decision on that be changed? After the game
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

filham

We had a similar effort disallowed the other week , this technology is not serving us well.

RaySmith

Quote from: Macedo on April 05, 2014, 05:22:33 PM
Yes Motson said they looked at it few times.It was over line he thinks.
But Holtby should have thumped it in open goal.
Still it all worked out fine.

Holtby was staggering a bit after  the tackle, when he could have gone down for a pen, but he stayed on his feet, but wasn't able to hit the ball with full power.

It was gutting though -I thought our luck was out again.

But then Hugo!!!!!!!!!! 049:gif

Bracken White

Think we were done here ... but may be biased. Surely both this and the Everton 'goal' could have been given. There was one at Norwich, too, if I'm not mistaken.
So good to see today that we weren't dismayed by this, rather the opposite.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

Jamie88

I can't understand the opinion that the naked eye can see it on the replay...we saw what the cameras saw, it looked in but wasn't conclusive as the defenders foot was blocking the view. The goal-line technology showed the tiiiiniest part of the ball touching the line. As tough as it may be to take at the time, goal-line technology is the most accurate thing we have to quickly distinguish whether the ball has crossed the line or not. Considerably better than the human eye imo.

Fulham Tup North

092.gif   .....and the thing is, if we did not have technology, chances are the goals would not have been given anyway.   The only difference now is that we get to see a 'video' impression of the shot and do not have to just rely on stopping the tape to see how close it was afterwards.
049:gif
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Artful Dodger

To be fair, I was almost in line with it (along with lots of other fans as well obviously) and it didn't look like it had gone in and there wasn't much protest from fans or players - more disbelief really. Obviously we didn't have slo-mo replay and I dare say most of us were already in mid celebration but thankfully it didn't matter in the end!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Rhys Lightning 63

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

fulhamben

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on April 05, 2014, 09:04:03 PM
Here is the GDS view of things.

unless the ball is shaped like marrow, the real time picture looks well over
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Blanco

Maybe this is why the Bundesliga chose not to use goal line technology. It's not 100% reliable.

PokerMatt

Yeah, that's what I thought - the replay does not correspond to where HawkEye thinks the ball is. Absolutely clear on that first image.

I'm almost certain it would have been allowed last season.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

fulhamben

Quote from: Blanco on April 05, 2014, 09:11:53 PM
Maybe this is why the Bundesliga chose not to use goal line technology. It's not 100% reliable.
well to be fair, it does not have to be 100% reliable, just more reliable than a lino
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

God The Mechanic

The ball can be over the line in mid air, but due to "splatting" (technical term!) look on the live when it hits the line.

Rhys Lightning 63

This still doesn't excuse the fact that Holtby BALLSED UP!!! He had the WHOLE GOAL to aim at, and he hit it straight at the defenders legs
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on April 05, 2014, 09:49:35 PM
This still doesn't excuse the fact that Holtby BALLSED UP!!! He had the WHOLE GOAL to aim at, and he hit it straight at the defenders legs

He didn't hit it straight at the defenders legs, Lowton had to stretch which is what made it such a good block!  Should have scored though :P