watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Final score saying Holtby effort went over the line

Started by Toby Ward-Smith, April 05, 2014, 05:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Is there some law that you have to blame a Fulham player rather than tip your hat to an opponent? Holtby was denied by a great play. Why trash him?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

fulhamben

ive seen the replay a few times now and It still looks over. why isn't there a camera on the other side as this would have surely cleared up any doubt
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

zschwartz

it wouldn't have been counted without the camera. so we've gone from screwed to screwed. it is just frustrating that it appears to happen regularly and counter to our interests.

Blanco

Quote from: zschwartz on April 05, 2014, 11:43:50 PM
it wouldn't have been counted without the camera. so we've gone from screwed to screwed. it is just frustrating that it appears to happen regularly and counter to our interests.

True. It didn't look over in real time so I don't think the ref would have given it anyway. Goal line technology just made it worse knowing how close it was.

Macedo

That would def been given as a goal last season.

the nutflush

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on April 05, 2014, 09:04:03 PM
Here is the GDS view of things.

Looking at that image I don't see how any part of the ball can be touching the line.  It might have not gone totally "past" the line but it is "over" the line.  So how is the rule worded?  Just sayin. 

Count Berbatov

This looks like a goal to me, based on the picture from the tv camera above. Maybe the actual goal line and the computerized one don't quite match, because looking at it again, this looks like the ball is well beyond it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Beamer

FIFA Rules: A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no infringement of the Laws of the Game has been committed previously by the team scoring the goal.
So whether it is touching the ground or not makes no difference. If you accept the image then all of the ball has not crossed the line (annoyingly). If the technology is totally accurate to the 'nth' degree we can argue about ad nauseum but it is certainly better than relying on a linesman who may or may not be totally in line with it or have part of his view obscured. Perhaps the lack of major outcry from the players was that they are already accepting that the screen will decide, so at least one potential boiling point has been removed from the game.

MJG

Quote from: the nutflush on April 05, 2014, 11:53:43 PM

Looking at that image I don't see how any part of the ball can be touching the line.  It might have not gone totally "past" the line but it is "over" the line.  So how is the rule worded?  Just sayin. 
The actuall ball does not have to be touching line, the bit that has not go over the line is the edge of the centre of the ball. If they showed a sideways shot of it then that would show its not over.

grandad

If the goal line in the computer generated picture had been the corner quadrant the ball would have been moved to be actually touching the line. Double standards.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ffc73

Good point Grandad

I wonder if FFC are on commission to test this technology this season.  Hugo at Norwich.  Heitinga v Toon and yesterday.  Good job we won all those games otherwise conspiracy theories would abound.

Here's to goal line debates in the next 5 games.  And 5 wins....

Beamer

Sorry to be pedantic Grandad but the FIFA rules state:
The ball must be placed inside the corner arc nearest to the point where the ball crossed the goal line.
So the rule is actually different rather than double standards being applied - I do get your point though.

Nero

why doesn't some one get a ball put it where it says it was see what hawkeye says then roll it back the 2mm and see what it says again that or just stick some cameras on the inside of the crossbar. the thing with a football is it full of air and hitting it distorts it shape. 

Wimbledon_White

Does the curvature of the ball play a part?
It not a flat disc after all; if no leather is touching the line then surely the ball has rolled beyond the line and is therefore a goal.

PokerMatt

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on April 06, 2014, 10:02:43 AM
Does the curvature of the ball play a part?
It not a flat disc after all; if no leather is touching the line then surely the ball has rolled beyond the line and is therefore a goal.

I can only assume from what I've seen that Hawkeye picks up the middle of the ball and generates the circle around it. Certainly when the defender cleared it the ball would have flattened into his foot slightly before reshaping, and in that time from what I've seen it looks very much like there was a gap between ball and line. Yet the Hawkeye generation shows a perfectly round ball.

Even Hawkeye in tennis takes into account the shape of the ball hitting the surface.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Beamer

I'm guessing they did some pretty thorough testing before choosing this system but no doubt it will improve again with technological advances as time goes on and still far more consistently reliable than the human eye. If players come to just accept it as in tennis, it will have improved the game as well - if we had a robot ref perhaps they wouldn't all want to argue with that either.

Beamer

Think about it Wimbledon White, if the ball was in the air no part would be touching the line so you can't use touching the line in the equation hence the way the rule is worded (see my earlier post on the rule).

The Enclosurite

Only The Sun could confuse Lewis Holtby and Keiran Richardson.  :doh:
¡COYW!

F(f)CUK

I think the goal line system is brilliant. If it were not in place, this thread would have been 3 times as long and talking about injustice for us against Newcastle and Villa.

akf

Who is to say that they provide the shot of the ball at its furthest point in the goal?  Every ball that crosses the line is at one point in the position where the computer snap shows this ball.  The realtime picture looks like it crossed completely.  What is stopping them from providing the most palatable version that supports the Hawkeye decision?