more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Final score saying Holtby effort went over the line

Started by Toby Ward-Smith, April 05, 2014, 05:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

Quote from: ChrisBairdOhh on April 06, 2014, 12:09:56 PM
Ben, not sure I understand about the crossbar issue...

And care to explain further Riether Lightning?

if you put a laser line from one end of the cross bar to the other, it would not be dead straight. there would be a slight bow in it. easily 4 mm which would add to the inaccuracy of the hawkeye even further. add to this that its also relying on a white line which is hand painted (viva a machine) across an un even surfice which is covered in grass. nothing in the known universe is flat
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Fulham1959

In real life, and going by the graphic, the ball (being spherical and not a flat disc) would be over the line.  In a throw-in situation, a throw would be awarded.

However, I prefer the technology to the human eye.

fulhamben

Quote from: Fulham1959 on April 06, 2014, 12:24:38 PM
In real life, and going by the graphic, the ball (being spherical and not a flat disc) would be over the line.  In a throw-in situation, a throw would be awarded.

However, I prefer the technology to the human eye.
and this is it. its just like the cricket. was bought in to stop huge blunders but is now underscrutiny  over the smallest of margins that 99.9% of the world could not see anyway. if it had stopped villa equalising we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Neil D

From a spectator's point of view, I think they should indicate what percentage of the ball is not over the line.  In this case, it could not have been more than 2%, maybe.  It wouldn't alter the decision but it is readily understandable.

Andy S

The fact is it should be the same for everyone. We will obviously hear a lot more debate about this technology over the coming years. I'm delighted we can reflect on it where the result doesn't matter.

epsomraver

Quote from: Andy S on April 06, 2014, 12:38:07 PM
The fact is it should be the same for everyone. We will obviously hear a lot more debate about this technology over the coming years. I'm delighted we can reflect on it where the result doesn't matter.

Wait till it happens to one of the big four or Liverpool :dft011: then stand back for the flak about how unreliable it is!

cmg

Personally, I am not keen on a reliance on technology. I think back to my playing days and consider how utterly p***ed off I would be to be hanging around in the rain and cold while somebody pored over a replay (and sometimes coming up with the wrong decision anyway).

TV loves this technology business. Not only does it provide drama for the viewer, but it also puts TV into the driving seat. They provide the technology and it creates the idea that whatever is seen on tv must be right. I am not convinced that tv always provides a definitive account of reality as angles and distances can be distorted. For instance, slow-motion replays of tackles always look like bad fouls.

These goal-line pictures, of course, are not reality at all. They are cartoons based on a guess. Superb quality cartoons and fantastically accurate, computer calculated guesses - but cartoons and guesses just the same. The similar technology used in LBW cricket decisions is acknowledged as being of being potentially sufficiently inaccurate that a ball calculated ('guessed') hitting less than half a stump width with less than half the width of the ball is adjudged 'not out'. Is this level of inaccuracy allowed for in the Goal-line technology?

So far it hasn't rattled many cages - it's 'only' Fulham - but ER is quite right. Wait till it happens to Mourinho or Wenger, then we'll see the 'tilt' light come on.

What would I do? Leave it to the ref as 'sole arbiter of fact'. Pay them a shed load. Educate them. Make them accountable (I've no problem with using the technology to show them where they may have gone wrong). Sack 'em if they're not up to standard. Enforce the law regarding player behaviour towards refs. (Rugby provides the answer to this.)

Neil D

Quote from: epsomraver on April 06, 2014, 12:41:12 PM

Wait till it happens to one of the big four or Liverpool :dft011: then stand back for the flak about how unreliable it is!
As long as Liverpool are on the receiving end of some rough justice.  

ChrisBairdOhh

Quote from: fulhamben on April 06, 2014, 12:23:45 PM
if you put a laser line from one end of the cross bar to the other, it would not be dead straight. there would be a slight bow in it. easily 4 mm which would add to the inaccuracy of the hawkeye even further. add to this that its also relying on a white line which is hand painted (viva a machine) across an un even surfice which is covered in grass. nothing in the known universe is flat

Yes, but it would bow vertically.  The cameras aren't mounted on the crossbar so it shouldn't affect it

fulhamben

Quote from: ChrisBairdOhh on April 06, 2014, 01:22:35 PM

Yes, but it would bow vertically.  The cameras aren't mounted on the crossbar so it shouldn't affect it
not just a verticle bow though. it would also go with the imperfections of the metal used. plus you have to take elasticity and all other scientific equations that I have no clue about into effect aswell. if its bowed at errection to the left or right then even with gravity it will still be bowed to that direction. anyhow it is what it is. the same for everyone and that's why no one ever brings it up.

sunburywhite

Quote from: fulhamben on April 06, 2014, 01:31:28 PM

Yes, but it would bow vertically.  The cameras aren't mounted on the crossbar so it shouldn't affect it
not just a verticle bow though. it would also go with the imperfections of the metal used. plus you have to take elasticity and all other scientific equations that I have no clue about into effect aswell. if its bowed at errection to the left or right then even with gravity it will still be bowed to that direction. anyhow it is what it is. the same for everyone and that's why no one ever brings it up.

What if a players leg or body is in between the laser and the ball. The laser wont see anything
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

fulhamben

Quote from: sunburywhite on April 06, 2014, 01:34:58 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on April 06, 2014, 01:31:28 PM

What if a players leg or body is in between the laser and the ball. The laser wont see anything
? the laser was just to prove that the cross bar is not dead straight. nothing to do with goal line technology, apart from to prove it does not have a sound datum to work against in the first place.

Texas White

The problem is the ball changes shape dependent on contact. For the system to be accurate without dispute it needs to use a template of perfect sphere.

Nero

The real question is if the ref and his assistant didn't have the technology yesterday would they have given it as a goal, if they say no they weren't sure there is no argument but if they say yes we would have given it if it was for the tech then there's a argument

zschwartz

Quote from: Neil D on April 06, 2014, 01:20:46 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on April 06, 2014, 12:41:12 PM

As long as Liverpool are on the receiving end of some rough justice. 
they'd be gifted 7 penalties to make up for it. but carroll's slap to mignolet is a start.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: ChrisBairdOhh on April 06, 2014, 12:09:56 PM
Ben, not sure I understand about the crossbar issue...

And care to explain further Riether Lightning?p

[/quote, nothing in the known universe is flat
My front tyre was last week! I know, I had to blow it up again by foot-pump!
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

gerrys

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on April 06, 2014, 10:02:43 AM
Does the curvature of the ball play a part?
It not a flat disc after all; if no leather is touching the line then surely the ball has rolled beyond the line and is therefore a goal.
That was my point.....no way that any of the ball could actually be touching the line.....

Texas White

Quote from: gerrys on April 06, 2014, 10:33:39 PM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on April 06, 2014, 10:02:43 AM
Does the curvature of the ball play a part?
It not a flat disc after all; if no leather is touching the line then surely the ball has rolled beyond the line and is therefore a goal.

And if the ball was still round it would be clear of the line.
That was my point.....no way that any of the ball could actually be touching the line.....

RaySmith

I always thought the diameter of the ball has to be over the line - and the photo shows it was - and that it was definitely a goal. The ball couldn't possibly have been touching the line from that photo.

Just a good job that Hugo scored.