watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (08/04/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 07, 2014, 07:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Kieran Richardson ensures Fulham keep the faith in their relegation fight following away-day win at Villa Park
Fulham full-back put the Londoners on the path to their first victory at Premier League at Villa Park, giving the club a glimmer of hope in their battle against the drop

Divine intervention: Kieran Richardson was Fulham's unlikely saviour
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Just as the pundits were declaring Fulham were in need of some form of divine intervention to prolong their 13-year stay in the Premier League, up stepped an unlikely saviour, Kieran Richardson, to provide a new source of inspiration.

The full-back fired home the goal that set the bottom-of-the-table ­Londoners on the path to victory in their must-win game at Villa Park and then revealed the driving force behind his contribution to the cause.

"My faith is very, very strong, my fate is in one person's hands," he said. "The main man, God."

Most Fulham followers will be ­content to direct their hymns of praise at Felix Magath, the manager who is reshaping a side destined for the drop into a team with a real chance of survival, especially as they are blessed with, what on paper at least, ­comprises one of the easier run-ins.

It was the German coach's bold half-time switches, bringing on the twin attacking threat of Hugo Rodallega and Ashkan Dejagah, that provided the platform for a stirring second half in which Fulham deservedly took three priceless Premier League points from Villa Park for the first time.

"In the first 45 minutes I wanted to take not so much risk and I planned to go more risk after half-time, so in came the new attackers so we could go forward more," Magath said.

The changes worked a treat, with Dejagah's cross buried emphatically by Richardson before Rodallega headed home from a centre by the outstanding Lewis Holtby four ­minutes from the end.

Three-thousand noisy Fulham ­supporters celebrated long and loud, and with fellow strugglers Norwich City and ­Crystal Palace, as well as Hull City, all to visit Craven ­Cottage, they can glimpse an escape route.

"It was massive. We knew the magnitude of the game, it had been drummed into us all week. We knew we had to come here and win," Richardson said.

"When I came out for the warm-up I got shivers. We need it to be the same against Norwich. We are always confident at home. We have great support."

Grant Holt's towering header gave Villa a way back into the contest but it was a jaded performance from Paul Lambert's injury-stricken side.

"Today was poor because at 1-1 I thought we had the draw, and with all the injuries we would take that," the Villa manager said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/10748180/Kieran-Richardson-ensures-Fulham-keep-the-faith-in-their-relegation-fight-following-away-day-win-at-Villa-Park.html

WhiteJC

Richardson ready to reprise his own escape act
by DAN on APRIL 6, 2014

Kieran Richardson is drawing on his experience of an extraordinary escape from relegation to inspire him during Fulham's own battle for Premier League survival.

The former England international scored in West Brom's final game of the 2004-05 season to keep the Baggies in the top flight and has hit form just at the right time for Felix Magath's side. Richardson opened the scoring with a superb finish from the edge of the area as Fulham recorded a vital 2-1 win over Aston Villa yesterday afternoon and he gives his current side a better chance than West Brom of avoiding the drop.

Saturday's late victory at Villa Park sets up a pivotal six-pointer against Norwich City, who are now only five points above Fulham, and sacked their manager Chris Hughton earlier this evening.

We're very confident we can beat Norwich. It will be a hard, hard game – they're fighting for the Premier League as well.

I'm a very positive thinker. My faith is very, very strong. My fate is in one person's hands. The main man. God. I'm not worried. I do believe we will get out of it because we have the quality.

I'm ready if it goes that far. It doesn't matter if it's last day, last minute, last second, as long as we stay up in the Premier League that's all that matters. West Brom weren't expected to come out of their situation at all. With Fulham, the players we have, I'm always confident we can get a result.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/04/richardson-ready-to-reprise-his-own-escape-act/?

WhiteJC

Magath | 3 Out Of The Remaining 5 Is The Target

Felix Magath described Fulham's victory over Aston Villa as their last chance to stay in the Barclays Premier League.

Magath celebrated his first away win since taking charge of the Cottagers as goals from Kieran Richardson and Hugo Rodallega earned them a 2-1 triumph at Villa Park.

Fulham remain five points adrift of safety with five games remaining after West Brom and Crystal Palace also won, but Magath believes the victory will give them impetus for their survival push. He said:

It was very important we won here after losing our last home game. I think today was our last chance for us to stay in the league. Therefore, it was a very difficult game and very spectacular.

We were one goal in front, there was an equaliser, and that was the situation last week that put us down. Today we came back and we fought.

Even the great chance for Lewis Holtby didn't stop us. For us to win in the last five minutes is a signal to everybody that we are back in the league. Everyone at the game could see we want to stay in this league."

There was a feeling after Fulham's home defeat by Everton last weekend that they were virtually condemned to life in the Championship.

But they received vociferous support from their travelling fans at Villa Park and took the lead in the 61st minute when Richardson rifled in a shot from outside the area. It was a very open game, and it took Villa only nine minutes to find an equaliser as Grant Holt headed in his first goal for the club.

Fulham looked certain to retake the lead when Lewis Holtby rounded Brad Guzan only to see Matthew Lowton pull off a miraculous clearance with virtually the whole of the ball over the line.

But the visitors were not to be denied and in the 86th minute half-time substitute Rodallega flicked Holtby's cross into the bottom corner.

We have to win our games now. It doesn't matter which team we play. We need to win three of the last games at least to stay in the league. We will fight every game. Today we have won and this win will give us confidence."

Boss Magath revealed he has given his players two days off as a reward, saying:

You can imagine now how the players in the locker room are happy, happy and they forced me to give them two days off, so I have. They deserved it today."

Fulham's next game sees them host Norwich City. Surely a game they simply must not lose.

http://threeandin.com/archives/37701?

WhiteJC

Craven Corner: A Fulham fan's view on the win at Aston Villa

Hugo Rodallega celebrates with Lewis Holtby. (Photo by Ben Hoskins/Getty Images)

Our Fulham blogger gives his opinion on the crucial win at Villa Park

Happy, heartbreak then ecstatic! I have never experienced such an emotional second half of football in a very long while, maybe the last time was the Europa game against Juventus!

The first half was pretty dire in all honest and something had to change. Credit to Cauley Woodrow he made the best of what he was served with but it's time for the experienced forwards to take charge and play.

We had a few chances in the first half with Cauley Woodrow coming close on two occasions and Pajtim Kasami should have held his run to score when he was played through.

But after the first 45 minutes, I thought it was going to end 0-0 unless there were big changes at half-time, and Felix Magath delivered. Off come Pajtim Kasami and Cauley Woodrow and on came Hugo 'Hot Rod' Rodallega & Ashkan Dejagah. It would be these two subs who would change the game and potentially change our season.

Rodallega caused so many problems for the Aston Villa back four with constant movement and high-work rate. He dropped deep to start attacks and busted a gut to get into the box to finish them.

Ashkhan Dejagah provided Fulham with some natural width and real attacking purpose down the right hand side just as he did against Everton and Newcastle where he had a massive impact on both games.

The Iranian would be involved in key moments in the game with his attacking display creating the first goal of the game when he beat the defender and laid it across for Kieran Richardson to smash one home.

It was a strike that I went crazy for with my celebration, I couldn't contain myself it was a complete rocket and I'm so happy Richardson scored as he's deserved it, he's been superb this season regardless of the position he has played.

But whilst most Fulham fans were thinking about survival and started to believe it would be our poor defending that would allow Grant Holt with the equaliser, which could have been so easily avoided.

It wasn't the greatest of corners but Hangeland completely loses his man and gets attracted to the ball - mistiming his jump with Grant Holt getting a simple, free header to nod home for 1-1.

Looking back at the goal there were many errors, and more surprisingly we should have had a man on the post to prevent it, schoolboy errors once again. But, Fulham of old would have given up hope, lost belief and probably would have seen out the draw or even conceded a second. But, under Magath it seems the players still hold that belief and the character they showed today was simply sensational. Ashkhan Dejagah once again found himself in the box, but dummied the ball to Lewis Holtby who rounded Brad Guzan but his effort was cleared off the line by their defender. Goal line Technology - Most fans are happy it's been introduced, but once again the Cottagers would be denied by this technology which looked like all but a millimetre of the ball was over the line.

But then it would change, Lewis Holtby with another disappointing set-piece would find the ball at his feet with another attempt which was perfect and our Colombian Hugo Rodallega climbed highest to get the faintest of touches to guide the ball into the bottom corner.

The place errupted, the home fans were silent with the 3,000 travelling fans screaming, jumping and simply going mad. Chants of HUGO HUGO were loud and clear and it clearly affected the striker, with him looking emotional.

Hugo's reaction and Lewis Holtby jumping into the crowd just shows how much the players care and want to keep this club in the Premier League. I have to give credit to Lewis Holtby, a player who's only on loan who has given it 150 per cent every week and played with his heart on his sleeve for us - Thank you Lewis!

If there was any small chance we could sign him on a permanent deal should we survive, Shahid Khan has to make it his top priority.

So the first cup final has been won, the other results could have been better for us but we're on 27 points now and we have Norwich at home next week.

If we can continue on this victory we would only be two points behind the Canaries, dragging them closer to the relegation fight with us edging closer to safety and they have a nightmare run-in too.

Going forward, it proves that we need to start Ashkhan Dejagah & Hugo Rodallega next game, should that be alongside Darren Bent or Hugo as a lone striker we will have to see.

But Felix Magath has to build on the confidence shown in these two players next week to give us the best chance of survival.

Even if Kostas Mitroglou is back fit next week (which sadly, I doubt) Hugo deserves his place in the starting eleven. Norwich, Stoke (away), Spurs (away), Crystal Palace remain.

They are winnable fixtures and we have to win 3 of those games to survive, ideally with a fourth win or draw in the other game. But i strongly urge and beg fans to travel to Stoke and Spurs to create the atmosphere we did at Villa Park, because it really helped the players and we could see them going the extra mile with our support.

Ratings:

Stockdale 8 - Made some key saves and with Stekelenburg out he has really upped his game.

Riether 7 - Done a job, not one of his best displays but fairly solid.

Hangeland 6 - Sadly, he's a shadow of his former self and lacks concentration at times.

Heitinga 7 - Solid, been terrific for us since he joined. Very clever defender who's comfortable on the ball.

Amorebieta 6 - He's good in the air and has a fairly decent left foot, but like Hangeland loses concentration and makes silly fouls when they are not needed.

Holtby 7 - Passion and standard Lewis Holtby performance. In the first half he was a little lacklustre, but in the second half influential.

Diarra 9 - Simply a joy to watch. Class personified, on his return he dominated that midfield. His defensive positioning and calmness helped the others out so much and constantly communicated with the back four allowing Steven Sidwell to push forward.

Sidwell 8 - Got forward when needed and worked very well alongside Mahamadou Diarra.

Kasami 6 - He's not a winger, and should be played more central, worked well but needed to do more with the ball.

Woodrow 6 - Again, worked well but lacks the experience needed to take chances under pressure.

Richardson 8 - Tremendous work-rate, absolute screamer for the goal too.

Rodallega 9 - Changed the game, worked the Aston Villa back four incredibly well.

Dejagah 9 - just like Rodallega, changed the game. Was a part of every key moment in the second half.

Riise 5 - Wasn't really on for that long and didn't really have that much to do apart form a few poor tackles.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/craven_corner_a_fulham_fan_s_view_on_the_win_at_aston_villa_1_3527114

WhiteJC

Fulham odds slashed to survive relegation

Fulham's odds to survive relegation have been slashed [Action Images]

Fulham's odds to complete the great escape have been slashed by bookmakers following Chris Hughton's sacking as Norwich City boss on Sunday evening.

Hughton was sacked by Norwich on Sunday night following a run of four defeats in their last six games, leaving them to face a run in of Fulham, Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal sitting five points above the relegation places.

It is Fulham who sit in the last relegation spot and have a golden opportunity to cut that gap down to two points when the Cottagers host Norwich on Saturday.

Fulham also have a far more favourite run in to their season than Norwich, with their final four games reading as; Tottenham, Hull City, Stoke City and Crystal Palace – none of the top four clubs while the Canaries will face three in their last four fixtures.

The Cottagers grabbed a vital 2-1 win at Aston Villa on Saturday, but were still priced as high as 5/1 with Coral on Sunday to beat the drop prior to Hughton's sacking – now Fulham are available at 7/4 to remain a Premier League club next season with Bet365.

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/45632-fulham-odds-slashed-to-survive-relegation.php#.U0LpMMYcKbA

WhiteJC

Brister's Loan Switch

Young Fulham defender Alex Brister has joined Finland top-flight side FC Honka on loan.

The full-back will stay with Honka until 30th June.

The 19-year-old has made 10 appearances for Fulham's Under-21s this season, scoring a screamer in the 1-0 win over Middlesbrough at the Cottage back in August.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/april/07/brister-loan?

WhiteJC

Norwich clash is like a final to us, says Fulham striker Rodallega

Hugo Rodallega scored the goal that kept Wigan up in 2011 and the Colombian hopes his winner against Aston Villa can be the catalyst for Fulham's great escape.

Fulham won 2-1 at Villa Park on Saturday to move off the bottom but they remain in the relegation zone and five points from safety with just five games to go. Felix Magath has targeted three wins from their remaining fixtures and Rodallega is adamant they can survive.

"We have to believe," said Rodallega, who scored a late header against Villa after Grant Holt cancelled out Kieran Richardson's opener. "Everything is possible when you believe and you work hard on the pitch. We have to keep going until the last game."

Fulham host Norwich, who sacked manager Chris Hughton yesterday, on Saturday and Rodallega feels the game at Craven Cottage will be crucial to their chances of staying up.

The forward said: "I am happy to help the team against Villa because I waited a long time for  the opportunity. The Norwich game is like a final for us now."

Magath, who took over  at Craven Cottage in February, said: "With this win we have the confidence to be able to win against other teams.

"This is a signal for everybody that we are fighting."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/norwich-clash-is-like-a-final-to-us-says-fulham-striker-rodallega-9243259.html

WhiteJC

Exclusive - Great escape is on, believes Fulham star

Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell has told talkSPORT they have a great chance of avoiding relegation to the Championship.

The Cottagers beat Aston Villa 2-1 on Saturday, with Colombian striker Hugo Rodallega's header earning them all three points in the Midlands.

The triumph has lifted them from the bottom of the table to 18th position and they now sit just five points from safety with crisis club Norwich City, who have just sacked Chris Hughton, their next opponents.

And Sidwell believes their home form could be the key to them remaining in the Premier League.

"There is [light at the end of the tunnel]," he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast. "We said before the Aston Villa game, if we can get a win there and get the ball rolling then we've got a great chance [of staying up].

"The fixtures that we've got to come, especially the home games for us against Norwich, Hull and Crystal Palace, mean we've got a chance to get points."

And Sidwell praised the impact of new manager Felix Magath, who replaced Rene Meulensteen in February, in west London.

The German is renowned for being a tough trainer, but the midfielder has insisted they're happy with his methods at Craven Cottage.

"To describe him, he's hard but fair," the 31-year-old said.

"When you come into work he wants everything done with 110% [effort], whether it's stretching, passing the ball or going into a game and doing tactics.

"In that respect a few of the boys who have had him before over in Germany have said this is nothing compared to what he can do.

"He's come in and he's been quite open-minded as it's the Premier League and it's new to him. He's asked a few of the senior players like me, Scott Parker and Brede Hangeland what the boys need.

"He's not just come in and gone, 'it's my way or the highway'."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-great-escape-believes-fulham-star-14040786415#YbTkqf8wIqM6691D.99

WhiteJC

Sidwell: We can survive
by DAN on APRIL 7, 2014

Steve Sidwell believes Fulham can pull off another great escape and secure Premier League safety after a stunning victory at Aston Villa.

Substitute Hugo Rodallega headed a late winner at Villa Park that saw Fulham climb off the bottom of the table and up to eighteenth place, with struggling Norwich – who sit just above the relegation zone – the next visitors to Craven Cottage. Sidwell, the only Fulham player to start every league game this season, is targeting an improvement in Fulham's poor home form as the key to survival with five games to go.

There is [light at the end of the tunnel]. We said before the Aston Villa game, if we can get a win there and get the ball rolling then we've got a great chance [of staying up].

The fixtures that we've got to come, especially the home games for us against Norwich, Hull and Crystal Palace, mean we've got a chance to get points.

Sidwell, speaking to Talksport, was quick to praise the impact of new manager Felix Magath, who replaced Rene Meulensteen in February, and made light of the German's reportedly brutal training sessions.

To describe him, he's hard but fair. When you come into work he wants everything done with 110% [effort], whether it's stretching, passing the ball or going into a game and doing tactics. In that respect a few of the boys who have had him before over in Germany have said this is nothing compared to what he can do.

He's come in and he's been quite open-minded as it's the Premier League and it's new to him. He's asked a few of the senior players like me, Scott Parker and Brede Hangeland what the boys need. He's not just come in and gone, 'it's my way or the highway.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/04/sidwell-we-can-survive/?

WhiteJC

Fulham beat Villa, in with half a chance of staying up

Fulham still have essentially no margin for error, but at least live to fight another week. It's amazing how the season is almost perfectly poised to produce the most nerve-shredding finish possible.

If we do defeat Norwich next week – and really we must - then that leaves Spurs, Hull and Palace.

Spurs are a mess under Tim Sherwood and in that sense there will probably never be a better time to play them.

Hull are pretty much Fulham's bogey team now. Our last few fixtures have gone:

2008/09 defeat in Hull by a score of 2-1, defeat at home 1-0 (awful game, cold evening)
2009/10 lost 2-0 there, won 2-0 here
2013/14 ahem

So we've lost 4 of the last 5 against a team that struggles. That counts as a minor hoodoo and they also have Tom Huddlestone, who loves playing against Fulham whatever team he's personally involved with. That'll be tricky.

Then Crystal Palace at home which, had it been the first game of the season, would have been the easiest game on the fixture list, but Tony Pulis has his team playing well and we'll have to work for whatever we're to achieve here.

Norwich themselves will be an awkward proposition: they have four games from hell after us so you can well believe that this is their cup final.

Realism, eh?

All we could do was beat Villa and we did that. Magath deserves much credit for building what looks like a coherent football team, and Saturday was a nice manifestation of this. We saw lots of open football, some horrible defending, but some attacking play that drew gasps. I'm thinking particularly of Holtby's near miss that featured the most delicious feint by an onrushing Dejagah, some awesome nimbleness by Holtby, and.... another goal missed by a millimetre.

Saturday was about Diarra for me though. I have a theory that central midfield has multiplicative properties: get this right and the whole team gets better; get it wrong and the whole team gets worse. Diarra is basically two players and as such brings his team an immediate advantage. The defence benefits, the forwards benefit, and people like Steve Sidwell aren't under such pressure.

Note for example the winning goal, in which a Villa player passed the ball to Diarra who passed to Holtby who set up Rodallega. It's like I always used to say with Dempsey's tap ins: yes, it looks easy, but that's because he was there. Nobody else was. Ditto Diarra. He could have been anywhere on the pitch but he popped up exactly where he was needed and from that we scored.

Fulham have been basically awful in transition this year, rarely winning the ball except for around our our area, and unable to spring counter attacks. This wasn't a counter attack but the act of winning possession deep in an opponent's half cannot be underestimated. The opponent has to turn, is halfway ready to attack and not ready to defend, and that buys you those vital fractions of seconds that differentiate another near thing and something special. So yes, credit Holtby and credit Rodallega but Diarra did the thing that made it happen.

I also loved Kieron Richardson's goal. I am likely in a minority of one here but I am starting to think of him as our player of the season. For reasons hinted at above, I don't know that the otherwise admirable Sidwell quite deserves the accolade: he has been extremely busy but my feeling is that our struggles have in no small part been because our midfield hasn't been able to help our defence *or* our attack. Our midfield has been about as generous to opponents as is possible at this level, so are we really saying with a straight face that the leader of this department is our best player? Maybe. I could be really wrong and I'm not for a minute understimating his goals, his commitment and his leadership, all of which have I'm sure helped. But in the cold light of day I don't know how effective he's been overall. (Note the phrasing there: "I don't know".)

In any case, I like Richardson's efforts, he has struggled with fitness but seems to be able to make tangibly positive contributions to the team. I think he's been effective in what he's done and his pace and energy have been a nice surprise.

So yes, that was a really good win. Heaven knows we needed it, and it would be easy to get carried away now, but I think we all realise deep down that this is the benchmark now, this is where we need to be for the remainder of the season. Another couple of wins and it gets very interesting. Can we do it?

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/04/07/fulham-beat-villa-in-with-half-a-chance-of-staying-up/?

WhiteJC

Diarra makes the difference
by DAN on APRIL 7, 2014

You wouldn't thought Mahmadou Diarra hadn't played a first-team game for sixteen months judging by his impact at Aston Villa on Saturday. His anticipation, composure, that familiar range of passing that belies the common description of him as a defensively-minded midfield player, and his stamina were in all in evidence. This wasn't a rampaging performance to inspire, but a controlled, intelligent display to marvel at. Much like the man himself, it was considered and understated. When Fulham's midnight hour arrived, Diarra delivered.

Diarra's desire is unquestionable. After a decorated career, which saw him grace the grandest of stages for Real Madrid, the lure of representing his native Mali again after impressing for Fulham under Martin Jol proved too great. A serious knee injury that he couldn't shake off was the price of a return to international football – but Diarra refused to give in. He broke down two or three times during his long lay-off from injury, which meant Jol couldn't justify keeping him on at the end of last season. Undeterred, Diarra continued to train at Motspur Park, hoping to earn a second chance.

Rene Meulensteen was rather blunt in his assessment of Diarra's chances of making it back, but Felix Magath – a man who sets great store in hard work – recognised a kindred spirit. A short-term, pay-as-you-play deal was the veteran's reward, but still the whispers remained about whether he was up to it. An unused substitute against Everton – when you felt his combative qualities could have proved useful, especially after Ashkan Dejagah's thunderbolt hauled Fulham level – Diarra instead got his opportunity at Villa Park and how he seized it.

Many months ago Diarra's undoubted class was keeping Steve Sidwell out of the side and here he was partnering one of Fulham's performers of the season in a crucial clash. The combination worked well: Sidwell all hustle and bustle, scampering around the midfield in a high-octane, energetic effort, Diarra sitting deeper protecting Fulham's fragile defence. He was eager to receive possession, showing for the ball in front of the back four, and always looking for a forward pass – a welcome change as Fulham's overworked midfielders have often ceded territory in favour of retaining possession over the past few months.

There was a snappiness about his play too. You winced when he went to try and win the ball for fear of those knees failing again, but his experience and calm demeanour counted for plenty as that far-too-open second half wound on. He kept the ball almost with ease at crucial moments and underlined just how badly a struggling side has missed a player of his ilk. A far more precise passer than Sidwell, Kvist or Parker, Diarra offers a different dimension in midfield, much more cultured than the conventional stoppers that he has replaced.

His part in that dramatic winner shouldn't go unnoticed every. Lewis Holtby's desire to win can't be question – he appears to have developed a real affinity with a  club he only joined on loan in January – but his delivery from dead-ball situations was poor on Saturday. His second chance to cross for Rodallega's deft header came about only through Diarra's excellent interception of a Villa clearance and precise pass out wide. It happened so swiftly that Villa's defensive line couldn't push out far enough – and that goal has clearly breathed new life into Fulham's survival fight.

With Diarra's injury record, it is dangerous to wax too lyrical about a single performance, but his return to the first team is so welcome. An intelligent passer who does the simple things so well, he is proof of that old adage about form being temporary and class proving permanent.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/04/diarra-makes-the-difference/?

WhiteJC

Diarra delighted with dream return
by DAN on APRIL 7, 2014

Mahamadou Diarra was delighted just to make it back on a Premier League pitch – but Saturday's win over Aston Villa made his return in a Fulham shirt extra special.

The Malian midfielder has had a long road back from the injury problems that blighted his last season with Fulham, but his determination to play again impressed new manager Felix Magath after he had been left without a contract since last summer. The 32 year-old revived his old partnership with Steve Sidwell to good effect during Saturday's vital win at Villa Park that has given Fulham renewed belief that they can avoid relegation from the top flight.

I didn't know whether I'd make it back. I had a really big injury and it was not easy. But I stayed positive that I would play again and now I'm back and I'm so happy.

I can say thanks to God. It was a really long wait and really difficult for me so today, to see myself back on a Premier League pitch ... I'm so pleased. I must also say thanks to Fulham for giving me the opportunity to be here and I must say thank you to my teammates today. It wasn't easy but my teammates helped me. My body was tiring towards the end but my mentality and my teammates pulled me through.

His professionalism means that helping Fulham out of their perilous predicament remains the only thing on his mind. Diarra is convinced that the confidence gained after Hugo Rodallega's late winner can help them climb out of the relegation zone.

My comeback was really great for me and for the team, but the most important thing was to get three points. We deserved the win. We controlled the game and we were still trying to play. We got the three points but we can play much better. When they equalised, we didn't let out heads drop, we kept going and we got our reward.

The 3,000 away fans were great. They really want us to stay up so we have to do it for them as they are always here for us. We now have five finals to play and all the games are very important. We still believe. Why not?

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/04/diarra-delighted-with-dream-return/?

WhiteJC

Norwich City Gambling Premier League Survival on 1 Result After Sacking Hughton

Norwich City opted to sack manager Chris Hughton on Sunday evening, appointing youth-team coach and former Canaries player Neil Adams in his place.

As per BBC Sport, Norwich have taken the decision to relieve Hughton from his position after a poor run of form and to give the team the maximum chance of Premier League survival.

With just five matches to go until the end of the current season and Norwich having plummeted to perch precariously just one place outside of the relegation zone, questions are being asked over whether this is really giving the team that "maximum chance"—or whether they've left it far too late and have now panicked as they see the end of the season approaching.

Hughton was the last manager in place who started the season with one of the teams currently in the bottom seven.

For some time, Norwich have known they need to take points as early as possible this term, given that they finish the campaign with a run of four fixtures comprising Liverpool (home), Manchester United (away), Chelsea (away) and Arsenal (home).

That means their next game, their only other remaining match aside from those four, becomes of paramount importance.

There is nothing coincidental about the timing of Hughton's departure; the Norwich board are banking everything—Premier League survival itself—on a positive result next weekend.

Norwich travel to Fulham on Saturday, with five points currently between the sides.

It is a game Norwich dare not lose, given there is no certainty of picking up many more points before the end of the campaign. Allow Fulham to close that gap to two, and the Canaries could potentially see themselves in the drop zone by the end of this month, having looked close to being out of danger after taking seven points from five games in a month between late February and late March.

Their away record under Hughton, though, has been abysmal—they've lost six in a row on the road, scoring just four in that time and conceding 17. Over the course of the season, they've won only twice away from home, the same tally as they won on the road over the entire 2012-13 campaign under Hughton.

Four wins in 35 gives the former boss a paltry 11 percent win ratio for away Premier League games.

That's too much of a risk for Norwich to let him lead them in their final "winnable" game—even more of a risk than letting an inexperienced coach have the reins.

Norwich have opted to try a form of shock therapy: Hope the sacking and the new face at training jolts the underperforming squad into a reaction, taking what would be an enormous three points at Craven Cottage.

It's something which has worked for Crystal Palace, worked in part for West Brom and which has failed miserably—twice so far—for Fulham, while Sunderland haven't gotten enough points either since their managerial change.

The players will of course have to shoulder plenty of blame for their poor season, but Hughton was a negative, defensive influence on the side who waited too long to make changes in-game, rarely looked to press home territorial advantage and failed to get the best out of some big summer signings, including one-goal striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel and talented central midfielder Leroy Fer.

Adams is an unknown quantity and reports of him having five games to save Norwich's season are true, but really, what Norwich have done is gamble everything on one game, one result, one opportunity to win.

If the former midfielder pulls it off, Norwich have a chance of staying up. Thirty-seven or 38 points is likely to be enough to see them over the line; they have 32 at present. It's all or nothing for Norwich at Fulham, but it was Hughton who saw them into this position, not the board.

Sacking the manager is the right decision for Norwich on a footballing basis—but it's a decision which has been made about two months too late. Victory at Fulham is now the only scenario for the club to contemplate.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2019969-norwich-city-gambling-premier-league-survival-on-1-result-after-sacking-hughton?

WhiteJC

Wolfsburg eye Fulham raid

Bundesliga side Wolfsburg are considering a summer move for Fulham youngster Pajtim Kasami, [football] direct news understands.

The Swiss international is a highly regarded prospect, having been linked with clubs as big as Juventus in the last year or so, though he has struggled for consistency in a Fulham side that have been fighting relegation for much of the season.

The 21-year-old, who can play in a variety of attacking midfield roles, has only scored three goals this season, though one of them was a goal-of-the-season contender in a win over Crystal Palace.

Wolfsburg are the latest club to see his potential, and will look to snap him up if Fulham are relegated this season, which would likely lower their asking price for the player.

Some big names such as Luiz Gustavo and Kevin De Bruyne have made the move to the German side in recent times, and they could line up more ambitious additions to their squad this summer as another Fulham star Lewis Holtby, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur, is also believed to be in their sights.

Fulham will be hoping that Premier League survival can help them keep their best players at Craven Cottage for next season.

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/45691-wolfsburg-eye-fulham-raid.php#.U0Nw68YcKbA

WhiteJC

Fans spurred us on, says Hangeland
by DAN on APRIL 7, 2014

Brede Hangeland has hailed the influence of Fulham's travelling support in reviving their survival bid during a 2-1 win over Aston Villa on Saturday.

Fulham were roared on by 3,000 fans at Villa and the Fulham captain felt their raucous backing had a significant impact in spurring Felix Magath's side onto victory, with a late header from Hugo Rodallega securing a precious victory.

I don't think I've ever seen so many of our supporters at a match outside London so that was great for us. The support throughout the game was first-class and it really gave us an extra boost when we needed it. It was a real pleasure to be able to repay all of their support with a win.

When we have support like that it really does help us to dig deep. You need that extra bit of energy sometimes in the Premier League, especially away from home. We have to be very grateful for everybody making the trip and it was good to give them something back.

The Norwegian defender admitted he did fear the worst after Matt Lowton recovered to clear Lewis Holtby's shot off the line shortly before Rodallega's winner. The goal-line decision system showed that the ball had narrowly failed to cross the line, but the German seemed destined to score after rounding Brad Guzan and having the whole goal to aim at.

I didn't need a replay [to see how close it was]. That was the mother all of chances. At that time, I thought that's just our luck but fortunately it wasn't decisive. We worked really hard for the win and we'll do that again next week.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/04/fans-spurred-us-on-says-hangeland/?

WhiteJC

Dembele hat-tricks sends Fulham into FA Youth Cup final
by DAN on APRIL 7, 2014

A hat-trick from French forward Moussa Dembele saw off a brave Reading side and secured Fulham's passage to their first FA Youth Cup final on a wet evening at Craven Cottage.

Fulham, who fought back from 2-0 down to square matters on aggregate after a pulsating first leg at the Madjeski Stadium, began the brighter of the two sides with Dembele and highly-rated midfielder Patrick Roberts, playing just behind the loan striker, coming to the fore. Quick feet from Roberts provided Fulham's first chance of the evening, but Reading goalkeeper Lewis Ward managed recover from an untimely slip to smother the ball on the goal-line.

The home side continued to apply pressure with Dembele heading wide from a promising position, but it was far from one way traffic. Centre back Dominic Hyam drove a shot over the bar after a set-piece was only half cleared before full-back Nana Owusu, who was impressive before being forced off with cramp in the second period, miscued an effort from long-range. Owusu was then upended for a free-kick and a powerful drive from distance by Aaron Kuhl was deflected wide.

The complexion of an extremely open contest changed dramatically when some mesmorising close control from Roberts took him around three players on the edge of the box only for his jinking run to come to an end when he was pulled back by Hyam. The referee pointed to the spot and then harshly produced a red card for the Reading centre back, before Dembele calmly dispatched the spot-kick to give Steve Wigley's side the lead for the first time in the contest.

The visitors switched midfielder Sammi Fridjonsson back to the centre of the defence in a swift reorganisation and almost found an equaliser before the break. The lively Tarique Fosu's mazy run culminated in a cross that almost caught out Fulham goalkeeper Marek Rodak, who backpeddled and just about clawed the ball away to safety.

Any thoughts that the second half would see Fulham press home their numerical advantage were quickly dispelled as Reading made a lively start to the second period. They grabbed a deserved equaliser from the penalty spot when Emerson Hyndman was adjudged to have brought down Liam Kelly from behind just seconds after what seemed a stronger shout for handball against Ryheem Sheckleford was turned down. The cool Fosu waited for Rodak to commit himself and calmly picked his spot to the goalkeeper's right.

The ten men weren't content with just an equaliser. There seemed little danger when the nippy Jack Stacey picked up possession wide out on the right on the halfway line, but he carried the ball towards the edge of the box with purpose as the Fulham defence backed off and then drove an unstoppable shot past a surprised Rodak from 25 yards out. It was a truly sensational goal – and Fulham now faced the prospect of breaking down a disciplined Royals defence to keep their Cup dream alive.

They seemed destined not to find a way past an inspired Ward in the Reading goal. He produced some instinctive saves to keep out a powerful strike from George Williams and then denied Dembele twice in quick succession. Just as it looked as thought it wasn't going to be Fulham's night, Dembele found himself in the right place to poke home the rebound after Hyndman's deflected shot had come back off the crossbar.

Both sides then had chances to win the tie in the final ten minutes. First, Reading, who admirably continued to push men forward despite having played nearly an hour with ten, Tennai Watson produced a brave save from Rodak before Ward saved smartly from Williams and then tipped Dembele's shot past the post when the former PSG striker was one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

With extra-time looming, the game was decided by a couple of unfortunate mistakes. First, Kelly was dispossessed by the energetic Roberts as he tried to turn deep inside his own territory having received a throw and then, in an attempt to clear the dangerous, the excellent Robert Dickie drove the ball against Dembele and the rebound ricocheted past a helpless Ward and in off the post. Roberts almost made it four in the final minute of stoppage time, but Fulham progress to face the winners of the second semi-final between Arsenal and Chelsea.

FULHAM U18s: Rodak; Sheckleford, Evans, Burgess, Donnelly; Sombou, Smile, Hyndman (O'Halloran 90); Roberts, Williams; Dembele. Subs (not used): Norman, Baba, Leacock-McLeod, Redford.

BOOKED: Sheckleford.

GOALS: Dembele (pen 36, 63, 89).

READING U18s: Ward; Watson, Owusu (McLellan 57), Dickie, Hyman; Kuhl, Fridjonsson, Stacey, Fosu, Kelly; Cardwell. Subs (not used): Gogic, Shaughnessy, Husin, Taylor-Crossdale.

SENT OFF: Hyam (35).

GOALS: Fosu (pen 51), Stacey (57).

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/04/dembele-hat-tricks-sends-fulham-into-fa-youth-cup-final/?

WhiteJC

The Last Throw of the Dice for Norwich City

The chants of 'Hughton Out' were certainly taken seriously by the Norwich board as the club parted company with the former Newcastle and Birmingham manager with just five games of the Premiership season remaining.

In one way this is a blessing as I no longer have to write about a dire performance at home against West Brom, but does mean I have to somehow justify the boards strangely timed decision.

There can be no denying Hughton and Norwich have not had the season many were expecting following last summer's spending spree, with the sides defensive performances and away form being the main issues cited by the Y'Army faithful.

The West Brom game just happened to be the straw that broke the camels back and for the remainder of the season City will be under the stewardship of FA Youth Cup Final winning coach, current under-18s manager and former Norwich player Neil Adams.

So was this the right decision with so few games left?

If you were to ask most Norwich fans the answer would be yes, but listening to the "expert" pundits you would assume no.

The fact is Norwich's current points haul of 32 is not enough to survive this season, which is why the Yellows were so desperate for a win against West Brom.

Having lost to the Baggies, and given our nightmare final four games, City now face Fulham in a must win, six-point, winner takes all sort of game.

Given their current away form it is hard to imagine a scenario where Hughton pulls a white rabbit of an away win out of his metaphorical hat, however, a new manager might just be enough to give Norwich a chance.

The new manager effect, where a team under new control instantly gets a boost in performance, is a slightly dubious concept, especially when you consider all of the bottom seven teams will not finish the season with the same manager as they started with.

However, the effect might be valid for one game, the one game which Norwich's season now rests on.

Maybe, just maybe a new manager like Adams, with coaching and playing experience at the club, can get a little extra out of the side and get the much needed result at Craven Cottage.

So why do the pundits claim this was not a good call by the Norwich board?

Well it probably has a lot to do with the fact none of them watch Norwich week-in week-out and base their decision on the fact City are not in the relegation zone.

The fact is Norwich have been disappointing this season, particularly on the road, and have lacked initiative when going forward.

You could blame the players, but the main flaw always seems to be in the teams tactical approach to games and at the end of the season this blog will certainly be looking into this more deeply.

City have won twice on the road this season, which on its own is not a great statistic, but have conceded 15 goals in their last five away games.

Regardless of our win record or the number of goals conceded, the nature of these defeats away from home was truly frustrating for fans, with Norwich's chosen tactics on the road being capitulation.

With this in mind, and our generally dismal record against Fulham, sacking Hughton at this stage might be the best tactical option available to the Pride of Anglia.

Whether or not Adams is the best option in the long-run is up for debate, but he might just be the man to give the team a much needed boost ahead of the Craven Cottage showdown.

Norwich fans should have nothing but respect for what Chris Hughton has achieved at the club.

He took over under impossible circumstances following the less than mutual parting from Paul Lambert, but guided the team to safety (just) last season and spent well over the summer, even if some of the players have not hit their desired heights.

Hughton is the 'Nice Guy' of football and nobody likes to see the nice guy fail to succeed, but the only way to judge people in football is by performances and the performances have been largely dire, while the appointment of Adams is reminiscent of Gary Monk taking over at Swansea, an attempt to get back the club back to its roots and the style of play which saw it get into the top flight in the first place.

Yes, with five games to go and a five point gap to the relegation zone might seem a strange time to sack your manager, but given the last four games Norwich's season comes down to Fulham away and the fact is Hughton would probably not have won that game, potentially narrowing the gap to just 2 points with four games to go.

If Adams can do the impossible and snatch a win, City could be 8 points clear of relegation with four to play.

Now that is a huge difference.

There will undoubtedly be some fans and pundits who think Hughton should have been sacked sooner and maybe they have a point.

However, Hughton has improved Norwich's home form greatly since the turn of the year and has racked up some important results against Manchester City and Tottenham.

The new manager effect does not tend to last for long and it has been kept as the final throw of the dice by the Norwich board.

So now next weekend all eyes will be on West London as Craven Cottage becomes the Alamo, the Last Chance Saloon, Little Big Horn.

Let's just hope it is Felix Magath who plays the role of Davy Crockett and General Custer.

In Adams we trust.

On The Ball City

http://efootballnet.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/the-last-throw-of-dice-for-norwich-city.html

WhiteJC

Jacko a thriller for football museum after Jol's £20,000 statue offer falls through

The Michael Jackson statue that so divided opinion among Fulham fans before it was removed by new owner Shahid Khan is to find a permanent home at Manchester's National Football Museum.

The sculpture has been in a warehouse owned by former owner Mohamed Al Fayed, a close friend of Jackson, since it was taken down last September from its prominent Thames-side location at Craven Cottage.

Wacky: Mohamed Al Fayed unveils the statue outside Craven Cottage back in April 2011

Short-lived: The statue is taken down in September 2013 after an order from Shahid Khan

Fayed commissioned the statue to stand outside Harrods after Jackson died in 2009. But after selling the store, he switched the site to Fulham, where the King of Pop watched one game as the chairman's guest in 1999.

The National Football Museum approached Al Fayed about a loan after it was removed from Craven Cottage, and once contracts have been agreed, the 7ft 6in memorial is due to occupy a showcase position near the entrance to the museum in the distinctive Urbis Building.

Fayed had other options, including an unlikely sale to former Fulham manager Martin Jol. The Dutchman has an eclectic art collection and made it clear he was prepared to pay £20,000 to have Jacko in his garden. But preliminary talks stopped after Jol was sacked last December.

Fayed said: 'The National Football Museum is a splendid institution. The statue means a great deal to me and my family. But on reflection, I decided it should go to a place where it can be enjoyed by the greatest amount of people for ever. I think Michael would have approved of the choice. Like football itself, he entertained the world.'

An NFM spokeswoman said: 'The story behind the statue and its relationship with Fulham would certainly make for a thought-provoking addition. We are very grateful to Mr Al Fayed for offering to donate this important item.'

Offer: Former Fulham boss Jol was bizarrely prepared to pay £20,000 for the statue

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2599156/Jacko-thriller-football-museum-Jols-20-000-statue-offer-falls-through.html#ixzz2yJ1RxBdv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham's Steve Sidwell insists home comforts can help Cottagers avoid the drop

Felix Magath's men face crunch games against Norwich, Hull and Crystal Palace at Craven Cottage in the next month

Steve Sidwell is convinced Fulham can pull off a stunning relegation escape by winning their remaining three home Premier League games.

Felix Magath's men face crunch games against Norwich, Hull and Crystal Palace at Craven Cottage in the next month.

Fulham are 18th after the morale-boosting win at Aston Villa, but the Cottagers remain five points away from safety.

Sidwell said: "There is light at the end of the tunnel. We said before the Aston Villa game, if we can get a win there and get the ball rolling then we've got a great chance of staying up.

"If we can get back-to-back wins then we have a hell of a chance of getting out of it.

"The fixtures that we've got to come, especially the home games for us against Norwich, Hull and Crystal Palace, mean we've got a chance to pick up points."

Hugo Rodallega scored the winner in the 2-1 win at Villa Park and the Colombian striker is also adamant they can survive.

Rodallega scored the goal that kept Wigan in the top-flight in 2011 and has labelled the showdown with crisis club Norwich, who sacked Chris Hughton on Sunday, as a 'cup final'.

Rodallega said: "I am happy to help the team against Villa because I waited a long time for the opportunity. We have to believe.

"Everything is possible when you believe and you work hard on the pitch.

"We have to keep going until the last game. The Norwich game is like a final for us now."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulhams-steve-sidwell-insists-home-3386406#ixzz2yJ1pdqQY
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Premier League Relegation Watch: Fulham gaining ground

With five weeks to go there's some separation in the relegation race with 17th placed Norwich City enjoying a five point lead on a tight bottom three of Fulham (27 points), Cardiff City (26 points) and Sunderland (25 points).

North of Norwich is West Brom (32 points), Swansea City (33 points) and Crystal Palace and Aston Villa, both on 34 points.

Here we look at all the relegation-threatened sides and evaluate their remaining matches, form, injuries and odds of staying up in the Premier League.

13. ASTON VILLA 34 PTS (32 PLD)

Remaining Matches (6): Crystal Palace (A); Southampton (H); Swansea City (A); Hull City (H); Manchester City (A); Tottenham (A)

League Form: LWWLLL

Other Competitions: None

Injuries: Christian Benteke, achilles (out for season); Fabian Delph, calf (April 12th); Karim El Ahmadi, thigh (April 12th); Libor Kozak, broken leg (out for season); Jores Okore, knee (April 26th); Charles N'Zogbia, calf (no return date)

Vegas odds to be relegated: 10/1

Verdict: Unlikely to be relegated but looked poor this past weekend losing 2-1 to Fulham, which largely had to do with Benteke, Agbonlahor and Delph all being out. This weekend the latter two should be available and one more victory should do it to secure the Villains' survival in the top flight.

14. CRYSTAL PALACE 34 PTS (32 PLD)

Remaining Matches (6): Aston Villa (H); Everton (A); West Ham United (A); Manchester City (H); Liverpool (H); Fulham (A)

League Form: DLDLWW

Injuries: None

Vegas odds to be relegated: 8/1

Verdict: A dominant 3-0 victory over Cardiff City last weekend has spirits high at Selhurst Park. Palace, the club no one gave a shot to stay up in the beginning of the year, looks all but set to be playing in the Premier League next season.

15. SWANSEA CITY 33 PTS (33 PLD)

Remaining Matches (5): Chelsea (H); Newcastle United (A); Aston Villa (H); Southampton (H); Sunderland (A)

League Form: DLLDWL

Injuries: Kyle Bartley, hamstring (no return date)

Vegas odds to be relegated: 5/1

Verdict: The 0-1 loss to Hull City did Swansea City no favors and if Garry Monk isn't careful the difficult end of the year schedule means it might come down to the wire for the Swans.

16. WEST BROMWICH ALBION 32 PTS (32 PLD)

Remaining Matches (6): Tottenham (H); Manchester City (A); West Ham United (H); Arsenal (A); Sunderland (H); Stoke City (H)

League Form: DLWLDW

Injuries: Claudio Yacob, hamstring (April 12th); Chris Brunt, knee (April 12th); Billy Jones, hamstring (April 12th); Zoltan Gera, hamstring (no return date); Graham Dorrans, knee (no return date)

Vegas odds to be relegated: 4/1

Verdict: Huge victory at Norwich City last weekend but the Baggies will need more to assuage worries of relegation. And with a fixture list that has Spurs, Manchester City and Arsenal, it won't come easy.

17. NORWICH CITY 32 PTS (33 PLD)

Remaining Matches (5): West Bromwich Albion (H); Fulham (A); Liverpool (H); Manchester United (A); Chelsea (A); Arsenal (H)

League Form: LDLWLL

Injuries: Leroy Fer, hamstring (April 12th); Michael Turner, hamstring (April 12th); Elliot Bennett, knee (April 20th)

Vegas odds to be relegated: 1/1

Verdict: Saying it now, the Canaries are going down. They were horrible in last weekend's loss to West Brom, they just sacked their manager and their last four matches of the season are brutal. Done and done.

18. FULHAM 27 PTS (33 PLD)

Remaining Matches (5): Norwich City (H); Tottenham Hotspur (A); Hull City (H); Stoke City (A); Crystal Palace (H)

League Form: LLWLLW

Injuries: Dan Burn, muscle (no return date); Kostas Mitroglu, knee (no return date); Scott Parker, knee (April 12th); Damien Duff, knock (no return date); Georgios Karagounis, knock (April 12th)

Vegas odds to be relegated: 1/2

Verdict: Huge win last weekend and, given what's gone on at Norwich of late, Fulham will feel as if this weekend should go the same way. If it does the Cottagers will find themselves two points away from safety with four matches to play. Very doable stuff.

19. CARDIFF CITY 26 PTS (33 PLD)

Remaining Matches (5): Southampton (A); Stoke City (H); Sunderland (A); Newcastle United (A); Chelsea (H)

League Form: LWLLDL

Injuries: Craig Noone, muscle (April 5th); Mark Hudson, hamstring (no return date)

Vegas odds to be relegated: 1/5

Verdict: Buried 0-3 at home by Crystal Palace last weekend says it all, Cardiff is going down.

19. SUNDERLAND 25 PTS (31 PLD)

Remaining Matches (7): Everton (H); Manchester City (A); Chelsea (A); Cardiff City (H); Manchester United (A); West Bromwich Albion (H); Swansea City (H)

League Form: LDLLLL

Injuries: Steven Fletcher, ankle (no return date);Keiren Westwood, shoulder (no return date)

Vegas odds to be relegated: 1/5

Verdict: Crushed 5-1 by Spurs looks to be a death sentence for Sunderland.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/07/premier-league-relegation-watch-fulham-gaining-ground/?