more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (07/04/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 06, 2014, 06:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Rodallega revives Fulham's bid

Birmingham - Fulham breathed new life into their bid to avoid relegation from the Premier League as Hugo Rodallega's late strike sealed a crucial 2-1 win at Aston Villa on Saturday.

Felix Magath's team began the day bottom of the table, but they moved up to 18th place thanks to Colombia striker Rodallega's winner with four minutes remaining at Villa Park.

Kieran Richardson had put Fulham ahead just after the hour before Grant Holt equalised with his first goal for Villa nine minutes later.

Although Fulham remain five points from safety, the result will give them renewed hope that a great escape is possible.

Christian Benteke's Achilles tear in training this week was a huge blow for Villa, who lacked a cutting edge without the powerful Belgium striker.

Magath, who gave a second debut to Mahamadou Diarra following his return to the club, was forced to play down speculation this week that his job was in danger after only one win in his first six games.

His side had the first effort on goal, though, as Cauley Woodrow headed over Pajtim Kasami's cross with two minutes gone.

Woodrow was heavily involved and Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan had to be alert when his shot was deflected, while Lewis Holtby and Steve Sidwell also tried their luck as the visitors ended the half strongly.

Magath was clearly not happy with what he had seen, though, and he made a double substitution for the second half, with Rodallega replacing Woodrow and Ashkan Dejagah coming on for Kasami.

Villa were inches away from taking the lead as Holt chested the ball into the path of Bacuna, who slammed a shot against the near post via the fingers of Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale.

But it was the visitors who made the breakthrough in the 61st minute as Dejagah cut in from the right and teed up Richardson for a thunderous strike.

Fulham's lead lasted only nine minutes, with Holt's header from Marc Albrighton's corner finding its way through a crowd of players and into the bottom corner.

A clever dummy from Dejagah looked to have set up Holtby for a certain goal as he took the ball around Guzan but, from four yards out, his shot was somehow cleared off the line by Matthew Lowton.

It was an astonishing piece of defending and, not surprisingly, left Holtby with head in hands.

But the final twist came at the other end in the 86th minute as Holtby's cross was flicked into the bottom corner by Rodallega to snatch the points.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/EnglishPremiership/Rodallega-revives-Fulhams-bid-20140405?

WhiteJC

Victory at Villa Park will give Fulham impetus for survival push - Felix Magath

Upbeat: Felix Magath said FUlham's win highlighted their desire

Felix Magath described Fulham's victory over Aston Villa as their last chance to stay in the Barclays Premier League.

Magath celebrated his first away win since taking charge of the Cottagers as goals from Kieran Richardson and Hugo Rodallega earned them a 2-1 triumph at Villa Park.

Fulham remain five points adrift of safety with five games remaining after West Brom and Crystal Palace also won, but Magath believes the victory will give them impetus for their survival push.

He said: "It was very important we won here after losing our last home game. I think today was our last chance for us to stay in the league. Therefore, it was a very difficult game and very spectacular.

"We were one goal in front, there was an equaliser, and that was the situation last week that put us down. Today we came back and we fought.

"Even the great chance for Lewis Holtby didn't stop us. For us to win in the last five minutes is a signal to everybody that we are back in the league. Everyone at the game could see we want to stay in this league.

"We have to win our games now. It doesn't matter which team we play. We need to win three of the last games at least to stay in the league. We will fight every game. Today we have won and this win will give us confidence."

There was a feeling after Fulham's home defeat by Everton last weekend that they were virtually condemned to life in the Championship.

But they received vociferous support from their travelling fans at Villa Park and took the lead in the 61st minute when Richardson rifled in a shot from outside the area.

It was a very open game, and it took Villa only nine minutes to find an equaliser as Grant Holt headed in his first goal for the club.

Fulham looked certain to retake the lead when Lewis Holtby rounded Brad Guzan only to see Matthew Lowton pull off a miraculous clearance with virtually the whole of the ball over the line.

But the visitors were not to be denied and in the 86th minute half-time substitute Rodallega flicked Holtby's cross into the bottom corner.

Magath revealed he has given his players two days off as a reward, saying: "You can imagine now how the players in the locker room are happy, happy and they forced me to give them two days off, so I have. They deserved it today."

Fulham's happiness was Villa's despair, with Paul Lambert's side left looking nervously over their shoulders again after a third straight defeat.

Lambert was left with little choice but to play Holt up front after the blow of Christian Benteke being ruled out for the season with a torn Achilles, while Gabriel Agbonlahor failed to recover from a stomach bug.

Villa were also without key midfielder Fabian Delph after he picked up an injury.

Lambert said: "We lost Fabian this morning and Gabby hadn't recovered from the bug and throw (Karim) El Ahmadi into it - that's a big chunk of our team.

"Looking at the table and fixtures, there are some real hard games for everyone. You have to go and get over that line as quickly as you can.

"I'd rather be in our position than a lot of teams. You have to look after yourself."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/victory-at-villa-park-will-give-fulham-impetus-for-survival-push--felix-magath-9241030.html

WhiteJC

1 Assist, 6 Dribbles: How Fulham's Spurs-Loanee Helped Earn Vital Win vs Villa‏

Aston Villa 1-2 Fulham
Fulham at last pulled themselves off the foot of the table with a much-needed 2-1 victory away to Aston Villa on Saturday afternoon.

Grant Holt cancelled out Kieran Richardon's 61st minute stunner as Villa mounted a comeback, but Hugo Rodallega struck a late header to send the full points Fulham's way.

The Cottagers jump into 18th place with their second win in four games, though will still need to bridge a five point gap in the run-in to climb out of the bottom three.

Aston Villa have now lost three contests on the bounce after dispatching Jose Mourinho's Chelsea in mid-March, but nonetheless remain relatively safe in 13th place.

Key Stats

The territory of the encounter was relatively even, Villa seeing just slightly more of the possession at 51%.

Neither side's passing was particularly impressive in a broader view, each finishing with a 76% completion rate as the hosts strung together 303 passes to Fulham's slightly diminished 301.

But chances were rife for all comers in what was an open game, the Cottagers having made 11 key passes whilst Villa countered with seven of their own.

Each outfit relied heavily on hoofing the ball out of danger as a means of defence and the combined 87 clearances on the day dwarfed a successful tackle count of only 20.

Man of the Match

Fulham supporters were understandably enthused when the club landed Lewis Holtby on loan from Tottenham in January to aid in the battle against relegation.

The German hadn't necessarily been at his best for the Cottagers heading into the weekend, but exploded into life at Villa Park a Performance Score of 65 – good for Man of the Match honours.

Holtby was seemingly everywhere in attack as he completed a stunning six take ons with a 100% success rate, running would-be defenders ragged and always getting into threatening positions.

Twice he troubled the goalkeeper himself, but the 23-year-old's real contribution came on the creative front. Holtby recorded three key passes, the final one having been the cross that supplied the assist for Rodallega's 85th minute winner.

Performance Score

Fulham started off the more enterprising of the two sides but were usurped by Villa around the quarter-hour mark, only for the momentum to soon enough swing back in the visitors' favour.

The Cottagers held a 124-82 Performance Score advantage at half-time and Felix Magath's team talk and a pair of substitutions seemed to spur them on, as they came out with fresh resolve for the decisive 45 minutes.

Richardson's wonder strike just after the hour mark saw Fulham finally get their reward for positivity – and even as Holt equalised for Villa, a 230-40 gap in Performance Score told of the away side's eminence.

And Rodallega didn't allow a rare display of strength from the Cottagers go without full reward, finding the winner and consolidating Fulham's Performance Score lead – seeing out the day at 296-25.

Key Observations

Fulham looked the better side on the whole in the first half, having created five chances to Villa's two while forcing four saves out of Brad Guzan – but Magath nonetheless saw fit to make changes.

Youngster Cauley Woodrow and Pajtim Kasami made way for Rodallega and Ashkan Dejagah, and the move looked a master stroke as the former hit the winner and the latter assisted Richardson's opener.

The game was wide open from start to finish even if the Cottagers were the more enterprising outfit, as Villa made just four interceptions and Fulham nine – possession most often turned over by unforced errant passing.

Magath's men simply looked more motivated, with the spectre of relegation looming heavily in the absence of a minor miracle in the run-in. And the boss will be pleased at the determination his players showed to take an important step in pursuit of escaping the drop against all odds.

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/04/05/1-assist-6-dribbles-how-fulhams-spurs-loanee-helped-earn-vital-win-vs-villa%E2%80%8F/2014040592832?

WhiteJC

I'm ready to help in Fulham's fight for survival, says goal-hero Rodallega

Hugo Rodallega hopes his match-winning goal against Aston Villa proves he is ready to help Fulham in their battle against relegation.

A 2-1 victory over the Villans in the Midlands has seen the Cottagers move off the bottom of the table and up to 18th in the Premier League.

And the Colombian, whose header four minutes from time earned Felix Magath's side a vital triumph, believes he can be the man to help the west London side stay in the top flight.

Rodallega said: "When I have this opportunity [to play] for 45 minutes it's very important for me. I have to show the manager I'm here and I'm ready to help the team.

"When you score and you're a striker you're very happy. I'm a striker, I have to score every week if I can but sometimes you can't score in every game. I tried to help the team today and support everybody.

"It was a nice goal but the most important thing today was winning and getting three points."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/im-ready-help-fulhams-fight-survival-says-goal-hero-rodallega-14040586292#F5spTHWtGjmOjyfE.99

WhiteJC

Magath 'proud' of his Fulham battlers
by DAN on APRIL 5, 2014

Felix Magath saluted his battling Fulham side after their crucial victory at Villa Park – and believes this afternoon's win over Aston Villa can be their springboard towards safety.

Fulham moved off the bottom of the table thanks to Hugo Rodallega's late winner, but Magath believes the result was even more significant for his fragile side's confidence after they recovered from the setback off surrendering the lead given to them by Kieran Richardson's sublime strike.

Yeah, we always believed we would win. oday, for me it was not only a win because we went in front and they got the equaliser. In these situations in the last few games we've gone down, but today we fought back and got the win, so I'm very happy and proud.

We played with the confidence that we are capable of producing and can stay in the league. The win gives us the right atmosphere (in the camp) to go on and to fight for Premier League safety. Our plan was to begin a little bit more defensive and in the second half I wanted to be a lot more attacking.

Magath was full of praise for Rodallega, who has had to wait for his chance under the new manager.

Hugo was in very good shape today. Not only did he score, but he was all over the park – such a flexible attacker.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/04/magath-proud-of-his-fulham-battlers/?

WhiteJC

Richardson delighted with 'massive win'
by DAN on APRIL 5, 2014

Kieran Richardson described Fulham's late win at Aston Villa as a 'massive' result that could kickstart their bid for Premier League survival.

Richardson, who scored with a stunning strike from just outside the penalty area to give Fulham the lead, praised his team's attitude and their resilience as Felix Magath's side recovered from the setback of conceding an equaliser to Grant Holt to go on and secure a precious three points. The victory sets up a pivotal game with fellow strugglers Norwich City, who now sit immediately above Fulham in the table, at Craven Cottage next weekend.

It was a massive win for us today. You saw the way the players and the fans celebrated – we needed the win and we got it.

We've won two games out of our last three, we've got good form and now we're at home (against Norwich next weekend) so hopefully the fans will get behind us and we can beat Norwich.

We're down there – we need to get out of it and I'm more than confident we can do it.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/04/richardson-delighted-with-massive-win/?

WhiteJC

Rodallega ready to fight for survival
by DAN on APRIL 5, 2014

Hugo Rodallega scored a vital winner for Fulham at Aston Villa this season – and the forward says he's ready to lead the line in the club's fight against relegation.

The 28 year-old's late header lifted Fulham off the foot of the Premier League table and up to 18th, setting up a tantalising clash with Norwich City at Craven Cottage next weekend. Rodallega has had to wait for his chance since Felix Magath replaced Rene Meulensteen at Fulham – but hopes his goalscoring exploits have given the German coach a timely reminder of his ability.

Rodallega told Talksport:

When I have this opportunity [to play] for 45 minutes it's very important for me. I have to show the manager I'm here and I'm ready to help the team.

When you score and you're a striker you're very happy. I'm a striker, I have to score every week if I can but sometimes you can't score in every game. I tried to help the team today and support everybody.

It was a nice goal but the most important thing today was winning and getting three points.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/04/rodallega-ready-to-fight-for-survival/?

WhiteJC

Arsenal join Spanish giants chasing after Fulham teenage sensation

North London club Arsenal have joined the hunt to sign 17-year old Fulham sensation Patrick Roberts, according to reports from the Daily Mirror. The England youth international only recently made his senior team debut for the Cottagers, and has already gotten top clubs in Barcelona and Real Madrid intent on signing him.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is known have a great eye for young talent, and given that he is keen to strengthen the English core in his squad, we could well see the Frenchman pursue Roberts with great interest in the summer transfer window.

Fulham boss Felix Magath though has hinted that the West London club do not have any intention of selling their prized asset and was quoted recently saying, "Pat is a very big talent and he will have a great career in front of him, so I think it is good for him to make the experience now in the Premier League, so he will get used to it. He will be a player that we need in the future."

The Daily Mirror reports that Real Madrid have long been monitoring Roberts and that they could make a summer offer for him in a bid to prise him away from Craven Cottage. News of Madrid's interest will not go down well at Arsenal as they know that young Roberts could find an offer from the Spanish giants hard to turn down.

http://footylatest.com/arsenal-join-spanish-giants-chasing-after-fulham-teenage-sensation/54311?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Lewis Holtby feels the wrath of goal-line technology's pinpoint accuracy

Goal-line technology has saved Premier League officials from having to make a lot of controversial decisions this season, but it has also broken the hearts of a few players with its ice cold accuracy. Fulham midfielder Lewis Holtby is the latest to learn that the Premier League's Hawk-Eye system does not play around with the rule that the entire ball must be over the line for a goal to be counted.

After Aston Villa scored in the 70th minute to equalize against Fulham, Holtby appeared to restore his side's lead just before Matt Lowton could make a brilliant goal-line clearance, but Hawk-Eye disagreed. The graphic below shows just how close it was...

It's difficult to say whether the human eyes of a match official would have gotten that call right, but thankfully they no longer have to.

Holtby later set up Hugo Rodallega for a last-minute winner, so Fulham still got their 2-1 win. Still, it's probably safe to say that Holtby hates goal-line technology more than the kid who reminds teachers when they forget to assign homework.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/fulham-s-lewis-holtby-feels-the-wrath-of-goal-line-technology-s-pinpoint-accuracy-224932746.html?

WhiteJC

Hughton calls for unity ahead of Norwich´s ´biggest game´

Norwich City manager Chris Hughton has described next week's clash with Fulham as the biggest game of their season.

Hughton saw his side beaten 1-0 by fellow strugglers West Brom on Saturday - Morgan Amalfitano scoring the only goal of the game 16 minutes in at Carrow Road.

The result moved West Brom level on points with Hughton's men - who remain firmly in the relegation mix-up, just five points above the bottom three, after the latest setback in a frustratingly inconsistent campaign.

Fulham are the side immediately below Norwich in 18th, making next Saturday's game at Craven Cottage crucial for both clubs.

"It's become, at this moment, the biggest game of the season. We've put ourselves in that position because (the match with West Brom) was a big game for us," said Hughton.

"The fact we were playing at home against a team around us in the division - (Saturday) was our biggest game.

"Next week now becomes our biggest game."

Sections of the Carrow Road support vented their frustration on Saturday as Norwich were beaten at home in the top flight for the first time in 2014.

Hughton has called on everyone at the club to stick together ahead of a tricky run-in, which sees matches against Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal follow the Fulham fixture.

"We have to realise that we have a tough away game at Fulham next week and we have four other games before the end of the season," he added.

"We have to do as well as we can in those five games and get the points we need in those five games.

"I understand frustrations, it's normal, but we have to make sure we're all pulling in the right direction because it's us as a group and everybody who's going to get us the results we need."

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2014/April/06/hughton-calls-for-unity-ahead-of-norwichs-biggest-game/

WhiteJC

Hugo: 'Thank You' To Fans

Hugo Rodallega describes our support as 'unbelievable' and says the Whites fans made the difference at Villa Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGeFrsoMMHI

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/april/06/hugo-reaction?

WhiteJC

Bryan Ruiz wants PSV stay

Fulham forward Bryan Ruiz has hinted that he could remain at PSV Eindhoven beyond the current season.

The Costa Rican joined the Dutch giants on a short-term loan in search of first team football and hoping to return to form ahead of the 2014 World Cup.

Ruiz in turn enjoyed a bright start to his career at Philips Stadium, and is now thinking about turning his loan move into permanent deal.

"The project for next season, to go for the league title with a better team, appeals to me," Ruiz confessed to FOX Sports.

He, however, plans to make a decision on his future only after the 2014 World Cup, where he will be one of the star players in the Costa Rica team.

"I've spoken about it with Marcel (Brands, sporting director). So, we have to wait and see. I also have a one-year contract with Fulham."

After impressing at the start of his European career at Gent and Twente, Ruiz endured some tough times at Craven Cottage, having scored just 7 goals in 68 Premier League appearances.

He has since managed to kick-start his career in Dutch Eredivisie, having managed 4 goals and 2 assists in 11 league outings.

http://www.soccernews.com/bryan-ruiz-wants-psv-stay/142376/?

WhiteJC

Fulham resigned to relegation but it's not a disaster
Good youth prospects and strong finances

5 April ~ Ever since losing at Cardiff on March 8, most Fulham fans have accepted relegation as inevitable. Fulham go to Villa Park today at the bottom of the table, five points short of safety and with a horrific goal difference. Mark Lawrenson says we're already down, so it must be true. And yet in 2008 Roy Hodgson presided over a similarly hopeless situation. Then as now, we had 24 points with six games remaining. Four wins in the last five games saw us survive, the decisive goal coming just 14 minutes before the season's final whistle. A similar sequence this year could repeat Hodgson's Great Escape.

The fixture list has been kind. Five of the six remaining opponents are mid-table or lower, with Hull, Norwich and Crystal Palace still at risk themselves. Our recent performances have been better than results suggest, and incurable optimists have plenty of material from which to construct survival scenarios.

That said, most Fulham fans are already looking ahead to the Championship. Relegation, while never welcome, may not be a bad thing. There's no danger of financial meltdown, and our highly rated youngsters could flourish with more first-team opportunities. Pat Roberts, Moussa Dembele and Cauley Woodrow have impressed in recent weeks and several others are ready and waiting for their chance.

How did we get here, just four years after contesting a European final? Tom Huddlestone's excellent season for Hull is a stark reminder of our reluctance to pay for players in their prime. Instead, we've signed too many players whose fees reflect that their best days are behind them. When we have splashed out – Bryan Ruiz and Kostas Mitroglou, for example – form or injuries have inevitably led to disappointment.

Then, of course, there's our managerial muddle. In retrospect, appointing Rene Meulensteen in November was possibly a mistake, as was sacking him in February. Meulensteen's lack of managerial (as opposed to coaching) experience told against him, but his team was finally building some momentum when he was cast aside for Felix Magath. Long term, Magath seems like a better appointment, but he was available back in November. Don't even start me on Ray Wilkins and Alan Curbishley.

So, to Villa we go. They have only won twice in the last eight and lost their last two games 4-1. They will miss the injured Christian Benteke, but even that doesn't make us favourites. Then again, we haven't entirely given up either. Steve Couch

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1176-april-2014/11383-fulham-resigned-to-relegation-but-it-s-not-a-disaster

WhiteJC

Has the Great Escape Begun?

Yesterday, ahead of the game against Aston Villa, I pointed out in an article that with six games to go our position replicated that of the season whereby we escaped to Premier League safety on the final day of the season.

On that occasion we managed to in four of our last six games and yesterday, probably needing something similar, we got three valuable points to move a touch closer to safety courtesy of a winning goal from Hugo Rodallega.

After the game, with the travelling support heading south buoyed by the win, Felix Magath had this to say to the media,

'It was a great victory for us. I feel very proud of my team. We fought back and we won a big game."

'Richardson's goal was goal of the month. He's a very important player for us, but after their equaliser we came back to fight and that was very important for us."

'With this victory, we are very confident to go on for the rest of the season.'

Next week we entertain a struggling Norwich side, another game we just have to win (and can)!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=355270#ixzz2y85uw8ut

WhiteJC

Onwards and Upwards!

When Kieran Richardson gave us the lead at Villa Park yesterday with a sensational goal, it put us on the road to three much needed points.

Okay there were a few dodgy moments, like when Aston Villa equalized and then almost edged ahead but the delight that greeted the winner from Hugo Rodallega gave the club a much needed lift.

Following the late winner, we now believe we can produce something akin to the 'Great Escape 2` and save our Premier League status.

Rodallega, a somewhat unlikely hero, gave an insight into the mood in the camp when he remarked to the media afterwards,

'Everybody is happy in the dressing room because this is a very important win for us. We are working hard for ourselves, the manager and the club.'

We`re glad to hear it, onwards and upwards Fulham.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=355273#ixzz2y86I8rjS

WhiteJC

Hammers Eyeing Up Sidwell

Over in West London, Fulham`s Steve Sidwell could be on the move this summer.

Sidwell`s contract is about to expire and the midfielder wants a three year deal to be offered. However, with Fulham involved in a relegation fight, they`re not (at the moment) prepared to offer the player a deal of that length, even more so when they could end up relegated this season.

If that is the case then the intimation being bandied about by one of the Sunday tabloids is that West Ham will make a move to take the experienced player across London to Upton Park.

A situation it may pay to keep an eye on we feel.

Read more: http://www.westham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=355288#ixzz2y86XV2xj

WhiteJC

Cottagers Set a Record

Times have definitely changed!

As a youngster I can recall when the same starting eleven used to take to the field of play time after time.

The only time anything changed was either due to a suspension or an injury, I can also recall when teams were only allowed one substitute.

But it is a squad game, rotation is the order of the day and squads are a lot larger these days.

However, despite the increase in squad size does anyone else find it alarming that the inclusion of Diarra in our starting eleven at Villa Park yesterday meant that Fulham Football Club had used a mammoth 38 different players this season which, in itself, is a Premier League record.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=355291#ixzz2y86iavmF

WhiteJC

Magath: 'This is my most difficult mission'
by DAN on APRIL 6, 2014

Felix Magath says that keeping Fulham in the Premier League is his toughest challenge in management – but remains confident that he can pull off a remarkable rescue act at Craven Cottage.

The Fulham manager is the subject of a fascinating profile in the German newspaper Hamburger Abendblatt that goes behind the scenes at the club and gives an insight into his famed training methods and how he has settled into London life since replacing Rene Meulensteen in February. Yesterday's victory at Aston Villa took Fulham off the bottom of the table and sets up a crucial clash with Norwich City next weekend.

The newspaper article suggests that chairman Shahid Khan has taken the lead on Fulham's expansion plans at Craven Cottage and claims that the redevelopment of the Riverside Stand – which has recently received the approval of the Port of London Authority – is merely the first part of a plan that could see the capacity rise significantly beyond the current plans for 30,000 seats. Magath says he reports to Khan on a weekly basis:

He's not happy. But we both know how the situation was when I arrived and we know how to continue. He wants Fulham to be successful. That's my aim as well, I want to build something. I'm not in it for the short-term. This is the toughest job I ever had. But I knew it would be tough when I arrived.

Magath has been impressed by the strength of Fulham's youth set-up, bringing through a number of promising prospects into the first-team during his short time in charge. Magath and his trusted lieutenants Thomas Oral and Werner Leuthard took in Patrick Roberts' sensational performance in the first leg of the FA Youth Cup semi-final at Reading last week. Magath has already handed Roberts two substitutes' appearances in the Premier League and the manager has been giving serious consideration to whether the 17 year-old winger, linked with interest from Arsenal over the weekend, is strong enough to hold down a starting place in the Premier League.

Magath is sanguine about his famed training methods. Although he has installed a varaint on the infamous 'Magath mound' at Wolfsburg, his attempts to increase the regularity of Fulham's training sessions have been scaled back:

Players wouldn't understand if we did more sessions. They'd tell themselves it was too much and wouldn't feel good as consequence. The players can have fun during my training sessions!

Magath's influence has certainly rubbed off on his new charges. Ashkan Dejagah, who played under Magath at Wolfsburg, has scored twice coming on as a second-half substitute in recent weeks and the Iranian international turned the game at Villa Park in Fulham's favour yesterday afternoon. He credits Magath's methods with sparking an upturn in his own performances:

I feel much fitter since Magath's arrival. I play better. To work harder can't be bad. We want to get out of the relegation zone.

Magath, who is enthusiastic about his new life in London, says many of the squad arrive an hour early for training and stay behind afterwards. Speaking after the victory at Aston Villa, he is targeting three further wins to secure safety for his new side.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/04/magath-this-is-my-most-difficult-mission/?