Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham v Norwich

By John Roder
Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday, 12 April

TEAM NEWS

Fulham are bolstered by the return from injury of Scott Parker, Dan Burn and Giorgos Karagounis.

Kostas Mitroglou remains sidelined with a knee injury but loanee Darren Bent is available, having been ineligible to face parent club Aston Villa last week.

New Norwich manager Neil Adams must decide whether to recall Michael Turner and Leroy Fer, who have recovered from hamstring injuries.

Sebastien Bassong should be fit despite nursing an unspecified minor injury.

MATCH PREVIEW

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer of Cardiff and Gus Poyet of Sunderland used the same word after defeats last weekend to describe their chances of avoiding relegation.

Both managers said their side needed a miracle to stay up. If we take them at their word, that means Cardiff and Sunderland feel their fate is virtually sealed, leaving just one relegation place remaining to be filled.

One of these two teams may very well complete the trio of clubs to do down. At the moment it's Fulham who occupy 18th place, five points behind Norwich. The departure of Chris Hughton from the Norwich hot-seat last Sunday night provoked mixed reactions, which from what I can gather seem to fall into two camps.

There is the reaction from outside Norfolk, which was largely shock at the timing of Hughton's exit, and the feeling that Norwich had panicked.

Then there is the reaction from Norfolk itself, which seems to be that the Canaries were 100% certain to be returning to the Championship under Hughton, and that the appointment of club favourite Neil Adams for the rest of the season is less of a gamble than sticking with the previous regime.

Fulham, of course, are on their third manager of the season, and Felix Magath will be looking to build on last weekend's victory at Aston Villa, which moved them off the bottom of the table. Fulham will be encouraged by the fact Norwich have lost their last six away league games, and 12 of their 16 away league matches this season.

When Fulham won 2-1 at Norwich on Boxing Day, Rene Meulensteen was in charge, as he was for their FA Cup victory in January. Indeed, Fulham have an excellent record against Norwich and you don't need to go back too far to remember the final day of the 2004-05 season.

Norwich were relegated after a 6-0 drubbing at Craven Cottage nine years ago. This Saturday will be just as tense, and while the result won't condemn one of these teams to the drop it will go a long way to determining their fate.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Fulham are unbeaten in the last 15 league and cup meetings, including all seven previous Premier League fixtures (W11, D4).
Norwich last beat Fulham in the 1985-86 season in the old Second Division, when they won 1-0 at Craven Cottage on New Year's Day and 2-1 at Carrow Road the following March.

Fulham
Fulham have only earned 13 points from 16 home games, the worst record in the division bar Sunderland (12).
The Whites have the league's worst defensive record and have conceded 34 of their 74 goals at Craven Cottage.
They have only won half of the 10 matches in which they opened the scoring, taking 18 points from those matches. Only Aston Villa (17) have fared worse.
Felix Magath's side are the first team in Premier League history to use 38 different players in a single season. Mahamadou Diarra became the 38th last weekend.

Norwich City
Norwich's only victory in the last six league matches came against bottom-of-the-table Sunderland.
The Canaries have gone eight away matches without a win, losing the last six.
They have lost 12 away games this season, the most in the Premier League.
Only Crystal Palace have scored fewer Premier League goals than Norwich's tally of 26.
Seven-goal leading scorer Gary Hooper has gone 15 matches without a goal since scoring against Fulham on Boxing Day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26898533

WhiteJC

The Bees Knees: Why Marcello Trotta deserves player of the year as Brentford set for promotion

Nine points. Nine points ahead of Rotherham with just five games of this memorable 2013/14 season following Brentford.

A total that even the most optimistic of Bees' would never have had imagined at this stage of the season.

Despite the best squad of a generation, a fantastic manager, the back room staff to envy Championship clubs and of course one of the best owners in the football league with Matthew Benham; who deserves unending praise for all the work he has done for our club.

Despite all that there's still the 'typical Brentford' cloud that shrouds over Griffin Park, stemming from years of play-off failure.

Things seem to be changing now though it appears. The sun which leads us to promotion is now shining through the 'typical Brentford' cloud that has hung over many a Brentford supporter over the last 20 years since our last visit to the second tier of English football and the positivity around our little patch of turf in West London is infectious.

This week, the player of the year vote for this season was opened.

There were many players who have stood out this year, Adam Forshaw, Jake Bidwell, Jonathan Douglas and Alan McCormack to name but a few.

However my vote went to young Marcello Trotta.

He re-joined under huge discontent from the Griffin Park faithful, he wasn't wanted after last season, never before had a loan signing caused the Griffin Park Grapevine [supporters' message board] to crash!

Marcello himself was expected to crash as well, then crumble and ultimately not be of any use to us.

And the 2013 Marcello Trotta would have. But not this season's Trotta.

A common criticism was his lack of effort, this season that was dispelled straight away and he's always been a fantastic grafter for the cause.

He's also been scoring goals which is essential for any striker!

"We'd certainly be worse off without him. So under the circumstances he arrived and has proved everyone wrong, Marcello Trotta has got my player of the year vote.

So, five games and seven points are required if Rotherham take maximum points from their last five games and with a trip to Wolverhampton on Good Friday for the Yorkshire outfit, it's looking like this could be Brentford's year.

http://www.london24.com/sport/the_bees_knees_why_marcello_trotta_deserves_player_of_the_year_as_brentford_set_for_promotion_1_3545803

WhiteJC

Defending Mitroglou

You have to admire our boss, Felix Magath for his positive outlook on life.

As well as insisting that Fulham Football Club can stay in the Premier League, the German is also insisting that Kostas Mitroglou can be a potential hero this season.

Mitroglou, a costly January transfer window signing, brought to the club from Olympiakos for a fee of circa £11 million, has only started one game and has been troubled by injury since arrival, but Magath reckons the 25 year-old could still achieve hero status and prove his worth, remarking to the media,

"Even if it is the last game and he scores that is good enough for us if we stay up."

"I think you have to see the long term if you take a player like Mitroglou. You are not thinking only for four weeks so for that reason he is not a mistake."

So there you have it, instant cult hero status a swell as a long term future at Craven Cottage!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=355757#ixzz2ybbEUeeE

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Norwich

I am perplexed by Norwich sacking Chris Hughton and bringing in somebody with absolutely no experience to replace him.

Neil Adams has done a fantastic job with the Canaries youth team but managing young players is completely different to managing in the Premier League, even before you consider that they are in a relegation fight and have got a really tough run-in to the season.

Adams will bring in a fresh outlook and the change might lift the players but it is asking a lot for him to make a winning start, bearing in mind only Cardiff have a worse away record than Norwich in the Premier League this season.

He is unproven and in charge for only a few games - and his appointment might end up doing Fulham a huge favour.

The Cottagers are at home, and also had a really good victory at Aston Villa last week. I am backing them to win again on Saturday, and really they have to - because their best chance of staying up would be at the expense of the Canaries.

Win this and they narrow the gap on Norwich, and to safety, to two points. They would be back in touch but, if they lose it, they would probably be doomed.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0
George's prediction: Fulham should get the result they need. 1-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26969505

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham boss Felix Magath ready to put faith in young stars

Fulham manager Felix Magath is prepared to field his young stars, despite their battle against relegation.

Magath's men are 18th in the table, five points behind Norwich, and the two clubs meet on Saturday in a vital match for both teams in their battle to avoid the drop.

Fulham pulled off a 2-1 victory at Aston Villa last week to keep them in the survival chase. Whilst the senior men have struggled this season, the youth team has been in superb form and booked a place in the FA Youth Cup final.

Magath, Fulham's third manager this season following the sackings of Dutch duo Martin Jol and Rene Meulensteen, says he will have no hesitation in fielding the likes of Cauley Woodrow, Moussa Dembele and Patrick Roberts if he believes they will do a better job than the established pros.

"I always take care of the youth, of young players," he said.

"For me it's normal to use young players. I will not show them but I'm convinced they realise that I'm not afraid to take young players so I hope they will see it and it helps them to improve.

"I was there [at the semi-final victory]. I crossed my fingers and I was very glad of the performance of the youth team. We have a London final (against Arsenal or Chelsea) so we hope the champions will be Fulham."

His counterpart on Saturday, Neil Adams, led Norwich to the FA Youth Cup trophy last season.

Fulham defender John Heitinga is confident the west Londoners can maintain their place in the Premier League.

"You have to believe we can still do it, I believe we can," he said.

"The only thing that matters right now is the club's survival - we just need to find the way. This is the first time I've been involved in a relegation battle, but you have to deal with the same pressures as when you are challenging for trophies.

"Of course, the trophy for us will be staying up in the Premier League. It's a real challenge but it's up to us to play as well as we can between now and the end of the season."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9260189?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Norwich City: match preview

Who could have predicted at the start of the season that with five games remaining Felix Magath and Neil Adams would be in charge of Fulham and Norwich respectively? Yet here they are, preparing for a crucial game in the relegation struggle. Fulham, five points behind Norwich, won at Aston Villa last week and Darren Bent is available again. Adams insists his first match in charge since Chris Hughton's departure "is not a decider", but with Norwich's horrendous run-in, a defeat could be devastating. James Riach

Kick-off Saturday 3.07pm

Venue Craven Cottage

Last season Fulham 5 Norwich 0

Referee M Dean

This season G22, Y86, R5, 4.4 cards per game

Odds H 11-10 A 5-2 D 12-5

Probable starters in bold, contenders in light Photograph: Graphic

Fulham

Subs from Stekelenburg, Riise, Burn, Zverotic, Diarra, Kasami, Woodrow, Roberts, Kvist, Kacaniklic, Karagounis, Dembélé, Bent

Doubtful Burn (hamstring), Heitinga (calf), Karagounis (ankle), Parker (knee) Injured Mitroglou (knee, 19 Apr), Duff (knee, Aug)

Suspended None

Form WLLWLL Discipline Y50 R1

Leading scorer Sidwell 6

Norwich City

Subs from Turner, Fer, Redmond, Elmander, van Wolfswinkel, Bunn, R Bennett, Pilkington, Gutíerrez, Johnson, Becchio, Whittaker

Doubtful Fer (hamstring), Turner (hamstring)

Injured E Bennett (knee, 26 Apr

Suspended None

Form LLWLDL

Discipline Y51 R2

Leading scorers Hooper, Snodgrass 5

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/11/fulham-norwich-city-match-preview

WhiteJC

My Villa Away Day
by LYDIA on APRIL 11, 2014

Me just after arriving in the stadium Me just after arriving in the stadium

Whenever the news came through that Fulham would be subsidising the tickets for Villa away just before I would be heading home from university I knew that I HAD to at least try and get tickets. With the help of a season ticket holder, I got two tickets; one for me and one for my dad. I had never been to Fulham away match before but knowing that we had 3000 fans heading down to Villa Park and with the game being vitally important for our survival bid, I knew it was going to be good. My journey started at 11pm in Glasgow. I got the overnight bus from Glasgow to Birmingham which had me arriving at my destination at 645am. I didn't get a minute of sleep on that bus due to excitement and the fact that pretty much everyone around me was snoring! To be honest the lack of sleep didn't bother me as I knew that the adrenaline would kick in very soon!

We arrived at the stadium quite early so got to see the Fulham team warming up and it wasn't long before our section of the stadium was packed and chanting away. The support was incredible and it honestly felt like a home match! The team looked focused and only looked away from each other to applaud the Fulham support. You could tell that they were pumped for this one and we certainly helped them with this. They knew how important this one was for their own careers and for the whole club. The desire from the start of the game was amazing to see especially as so often this season fans have criticised the team for not looking like they were interested. The likes of Richardson and Dejagah (2nd half) just ran the whole time putting in good, solid challenges when required. It was clear to see that the noise coming from the Fulham faithful was rattling the Villa team as much it was driving the Fulham team on.

Bringing on Dejagah and Rodallega brought me direct attacking play from Fulham and it worked wonders as the Fulham team started to create more and more chances. It became I very open game as our attacking play always left us slightly vulnerable at the back and caused me to have my heart in my mouth on several occasions! But our pacey attacking play was eventually rewarded with a Richardson screamer that sent all 3000 away fans into mad celebrations! The team celebrated as much as we did, you could tell how much this meant to them. Holtby pretty much ignored his whole team to jump into the fans to earn him a very noble yellow card! However just nine minutes later it looked like a typical Fulham performance when some poor defending lead to Holt to score an equaliser. The great thing though was that we responded by giving our boys more encouragement and this resulted in them continuing to show more and more effort to try and get another goal.

The Holtby chance was insane. For a player who has shown a crazy amount of passion for a loanee, it was gutting to see him miss that opportunity. I can't honestly think of a player who deserves it more and I am SO glad that he can't look back on that moment with regret as he would have if we hadn't have come away victorious. I'm sure many of us thought that that was the chance that we should have taken and that we couldn't get another chance like it. I have to admit that I couldn't see how another big chance would come as well but hero of the day Hugo Rodallega came up with the goods with just a few minutes to go. I barely even saw what happened, it was so fast! I can honestly say that I have NEVER celebrated a goal quite like that before! I couldn't breathe! Hugo's celebration was super and while we chanted his name he just turned around facing us and joined in. Pure quality.

We even made it on MOTD! This is the celebrations after Hugo's goal We even made it on MOTD! This is the celebrations after Hugo's goal

All I can remember about the rest of the game was feeling like I was going to throw up. The girl in front of me turned around and couldn't watch! It was just that intense. But the boys played it out well, having the ball in our corner just winning corner after corner, getting cheer after cheer. When the final whistle went the jubilation from everyone involved with Fulham was unbelievable. The boys came over to us, throwing their shirts in to the crowd (I'm gutted I didn't get one myself) and celebrating with us. It was fantastic to see and no one can say that those players don't want this. We stayed in the stadium for about half an hour after the game ended just singing and chanting 'We are staying up'. I loved finally getting to be a part of this.

After the final whistle. A very happy Fulham fan!

We could actually be on the verge of another great escape, something which many of us thought pretty impossible! It is unbelievable to see what one win can do to a club, turning misery into optimism that we could actually stay up! The game tomorrow is now one of the most important games in our history. Our best chance of staying up will be at the expense of Norwich and with their run in after our game, I can't see them picking up many points. But we cannot count on other teams losing. Incredible things happen in relegation dog fights as we well know! Norwich will want this so much so we will have to be able to cope with that. If you are going to the Cottage tomorrow then you can play a massive part in the result. So keep cheering and drive them on! I wish I could be there.

COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/04/my-villa-away-day/?

WhiteJC

John Heitinga confident of Fulham survival

Fulham centre-back John Heitinga has insisted that the club's players remain confident that they can escape the relegation zone and achieve survival in the Premier League this season.

Heitinga admitted that being five points adrift with a terrible goal difference and just five games to play makes the challenge huge, but that Fulham have the talent in the squad to manage it.

"You have to believe we can still do it, I believe we can," he told the club's official website. "The only thing that matters right now is the club's survival - we just need to find the way.

"This is the first time I've been involved in a relegation battle, but you have to deal with the same pressures as when you are challenging for trophies.

"Of course, the trophy for us will be staying up in the Premier League. It's a real challenge but it's up to us to play as well as we can between now and theend of the season."

Fulham would move to just two points behind Norwich City with a win over them on Saturday.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/relegation-battle/news/heitinga-confident-of-fulham-survival_149277.html

WhiteJC

Lewis Holtby v Wes Hoolahan: Head-to-head analysis ahead of the clash between Fulham and Norwich City

Check out all the vital statistics concerning the two sides' players ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting at Craven Cottage

Ahead of this weekend's Premier League meeting, between Fulham and Norwich City, see how the sides' players Lewis Holtby and Wes Hoolahan compare.

Data and graphic provided by whoscored.com

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/lewis-holtby-v-wes-hoolahan-headtohead-analysis-ahead-of-the-clash-between-fulham-and-norwich-city-9254595.html

WhiteJC

Craven Corner: Fulham must build on Villa victory against Norwich in relegation play-off

Hugo Rodallega celebrates with Lewis Holtby. (Photo by Ben Hoskins/Getty Images)

Our Fulham blogger looks ahead to tomorrow's game with Norwich City

Fulham made the start of their great escape last week with a spectacular and emotional win over Aston Villa, but once again it's do or die for Felix Magath's side.

The German will be able to welcome back a host of players who has suffered from injury recently. Scott Parker, Dan Burn, Giorgios Karagounis & Heitinga (doubtful) should feature. Sadly, Kostas Mitroglou needs another week's worth of training and will be assessed before next week's fixture with Tottenham. The Greek is still suffering with a knee problem but Felix Magath remains hopeful the big money signing can play a part in this campaign.

We have already beaten Norwich twice this season, with wins in the cup and an away league win with Scott Parker scoring an absolute thunderbolt if you cast your mind back!

Ahead of Aston Villa, I explained why I believe it's time to bring the experienced forwards back into the set-up as we can't rely on young players to score the goals for us in our current situation.

Felix Magath did start Cauley Woodrow but at half-time he was replaced by Hugo Rodallega, who scored the winner.

I believe that Hugo's second half display has proved how key his high work-rate and experience is to our side at the moment.

Now Ashkan Dejagah has played another 45 minutes since coming back from his injury, he would be my first name on the team-sheet.

The Iranian has proved how important he is with his match-winning displays against Aston Villa & Newcastle and who can forget that world-class finish against Everton?

Tomorrow won't be easy though, due to the Norwich side experiencing 'New Manager Syndrome', which we all know seems to effect the squad in a big way, meaning the players will be out to prove a point and try to cement their place in Neil Adams' plans.

But Fulham, can only focus on their own game-plan, turn the central defenders and get Rodallega, Holtby & Dejagah behind their men in on goal. We have beaten Norwich once this season and we must be able to get another win tomorrow.

My predicted line up will be:

GK: Stockdale - Seem's to be Felixs number one goalkeeper.

RB: Sascha Riether - More attacking option with Heitinga only coming back from injury.

CB: Brede Hangeland

CB: Fernando Amorebieta

LB: John Arne Riise - Kieran's Match winner should seem him play further up the field.

CDM: Mahmadou Diarra - Class, Elegance personified. Proved how important he is last week.

CM: Steven Sidwell - Mr.Passion, top goalscorer, what else can you want from a player?

CAM: Lewis Holtby - How can you not love this guy?

LM: Kieran Richardson - Probably my player of the season!

RM: Ashkan Dejagah - Lethal.

STR: Hugo Rodallega - Hot Rod will be full of confidence and want to carry on impressing.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/craven_corner_fulham_must_build_on_villa_victory_against_norwich_in_relegation_play_off_1_3546320

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham v Norwich City match preview

There hasn't been much time for Neil Adams to settle in at Norwich City. Less than a week into his tenure at the club comes Norwich's biggest match of the season - a game which could significantly increase the club's chances of staying in the Premier League with a win or could hand the initiative to those below them with a loss.

"Six pointer" or "must win" - use whatever cliché you like. The fact is that the result of this game will have an important bearing on who stays in the division. Fulham, currently occupying 18 place in the Premier League, could cut the gap between the sides to two points with victory at Craven Cottage this Saturday. Felix Magath's side have what looks like a considerably easier run-in than Norwich, who play Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal in their final four games of the season.

But if Adams, taking charge of his first match in senior football, can lead the visitors to victory, they could extend the gap to the teams in the relegation zone to eight points, which may be enough, even with their upcoming fixtures. Chris Hughton was sacked by Norwich after the home defeat against West Bromwich Albion last weekend - a result which saw Pepe Mel's side leapfrog the Canaries in the table.

Adams has overseen the development of promising talents Joshua and Jacob Murphy, and coached Norwich to FA Youth Cup success last season.  Now the club's hierarchy require a very different job from him. His immediate brief will be to halt a run of form that has seen Norwich lose six consecutive league consecutive games on their travels. In fact, only Cardiff City have taken less points away from home than the Canaries this season.

Fulham themselves have struggled away from Craven Cottage, with the win at Aston Villa last weekend their first on the road since Boxing Day. Hugo Rodallega's late header secured only a second league win in 13 games and may just have provided Magath's side with the injection of impetus needed to stay in the division. Fulham were in a similar situation during the final month of the 2007/08 season, where four wins in their final give games kept them in the Premier League. Norwich travelled to Craven Cottage on the final day of the season two years earlier knowing that a win would ensure survival. They lost and were relegated. 

KICK-OFF: Saturday, 3.07pm

PAST THREE MEETINGS...

Fulham 3 (Bent, Dejagah, Sidwell) Norwich City 0, FA Cup, January 2014

Norwich City 1 (Snodgrass) Fulham 1 (Bent), FA Cup, January 2014

Norwich City 1 (Hooper) Fulham 2 (Kasami, Parker), Premier League, December 2013

STATS...

Fulham are unbeaten against Norwich City in their last 15 matches in all competitions

Only Cardiff City (seven) have taken less points on the road than Norwich (eight) in the Premier League

The teams have conceded 126 league goals between them this season

Fulham have drawn three times in the league this season - the lowest amount in the league

Neil Adams is taking charge of his first senior game

ODDS...

Fulham to win: 2.15

Norwich City to win: 3.30

Draw: 3.50

CLASSIC MATCH:

Fulham 6-0 Norwich City, Sunday, May 15, 2005

Norwich went into this game, the last of the 2004/05 season, in the knowledge that victory would have kept them in the Premier League. They left Craven Cottage hours later relegated to the Championship after suffering the most comprehensive of defeats. Brian McBride and Papa Bouba Diop had given Fulham a first-half lead which Zat Knight and Steed Malbranque added to after the break. McBride added his second before Andy Cole sealed Norwich's fate at the death. 

TV: Highlights on BBC1 at 10.30pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-fulham-v-norwich-city-match-preview-9254868.html

WhiteJC

The Fulham Preview

And so the Neil Adams era begins.

How long said era will last will naturally depend on his job performance across the remaining games. If we go down, chances are it'll just be those five games. If we stay up with a flourish, it could be five seasons!

I still have my doubts on whether or not this is the right move for the club. Not that I don't want a club legend to succeed, far from it. But I don't think you can exactly blame myself and some of the national media for questioning the appointment of an unproven entity, just as we ourselves would do when looking at any other team who would have done the same thing.

But one thing you CAN blame the national media for is a complete lack of research into the mechanics of the appointment, their constant hammering of David McNally and the fact that they seem to have talked to virtually none of the fans about what was going on at the club. The latter is criminal, because although you'll always get biased answers, they are your number one sources who attend the games every single week, tweet about the club every single DAY and because they seem to have blatantly ignored most of this, we're seen as a laughing stock by many.

And that's coming from someone who stuck with Chris Hughton till the bitter end!

Predictably, most of the national rags have jumped on the nice guy bandwagon and have called for the head of McNally.

Again, I defended Hughton and felt a lot of the criticism towards him was harsh, but for the likes of Gary Linekar to say McNally was a 'recipe for disaster' (Great pun. We've never heard cooking-related puns before) when, if anything, he practically saved the club from doing a Portsmouth, is scandalous.

One comment that Alan Shearer repeatedly gets called upon by our 'orrible lot is the 'What do they expect down there?' line from a recent Match of the Day.

I get his sentiment, but did he notice the lack of goals? (I still blame the strikers rather than Hughton and I will argue with any of you to the death over it) the fact we finished 11th last season? The fact we spent more money in transfers this season than at any other point in our history? Probably not. But don't come crying to us when Newcastle are in a relegation battle next season and everyone using the #ncfc hashtag tweets "What do they expect up there?" at him.

It's not just the media who clearly haven't done their research though. Observe the two recent articles from the Pinkun. One covers Felix Magath's thoughts on the game and the other features comments from Spurs boss Tim Sherwood and ex-Republic of Ireland boss Brian Kerr.

While Magath could only refer to Adams as "The new man coming in from the youth team," Kerr could only come up with "that youth team fella."

Amazingly, Kerr then goes on to say that Adams wouldn't know the squad as well as Hughton and the other departing coaches. Funny, because Adams has been at the club in several capacities over a 20-year span and Hughton didn't even stay employed for 2.

While initially there was still a small divide when it came to the Adams announcement, the sheer idiocy of some of the mainstream media (which is stark contrast to the local media, who have been covering the changeover excellently) and blatant ignorance towards Adams, with an opposing manger who doesn't even know his opposite number's NAME, I'm now firmly behind Neil Adams and I hope he and Norwich City crush all before them. Then we'll show them McNally actually DOES know what he's doing and our manager, well...he has a NAME you know.

Here's the stats-

TEAM NEWS

Fulham welcome back Scott Parker, Giorgos Karagounis and Dan Burn from injury, though it is unclear which of them (if any) will make the squad for the game. Darren Bent should return after he couldn't face his parent club Aston Villa last week. Kostas Mitrogulu wont feature thanks to a knee injury.

Joseph Yobo, Ryan Bennett and Michael Turner all look to undergo fitness tests of some sort to determine their fates. Elliot Bennett and Leroy Fer don't look set to return from knee and hamstring problems respectively for a couple more weeks at least.

FORM GUIDE

Fulham: Chelsea (L), Cardiff (L), Newcastle (W), Man City (L), Everton (L), Aston Villa (W)

To be fair to the Cottagers, three of their four losses came against opposition right in the upper echelons of the division, all of whom have been on good form. Though the Cardiff defeat will have been disappointing, the wins over Newcastle and especially Villa last weekend keep them firmly in the survival battle. Victory over Norwich will see them close the gap to just two points behind 17th.

Norwich: Aston Villa (L), Stoke (D), Southampton (L), Sunderland (W), Swansea (L), West Brom (L)

Just one win in six now for Norwich. Once again our away form has come back to haunt us, and even though the WBA defeat was our first on home soil since December, it was enough to allow the Baggies to climb above us in the table and cost Hughton his job after the post-match protests from the home support. Failure to build on a 7-point cushion on the bottom three after the Sunderland win may cost us dearly.

LAST MEETINGS

The Cottage is far from a happy hunting ground for City fans. The last four trips there have seen us net only a single away goal and we've shipped 16 goals in return!

We'll never forget the final day of the 2004/05 season. City started the day in 17th with their fate in their own hands, and victory would guarantee Premier League survival. Fulham, who everyone thought were already on the beach, had other ideas and played City off the park, hammering them 6-0 and relegating them in the cruelest, most clinical of fashions. Bother, bother, bother.

When City finally made their Prem return in 11/12, the would meet again as the season was winding down though neither side really had much to play for. Fulham ran out 2-1 winners, though Canaries' forward Aaron Wilbraham achieved something of an impressive milestone by netting his 100th career goal in the professional game.

Our last league trip wasn't such a close call however, and in Chris Hughton's first game in charge Norwich were battered 5-0 in an opening day mauling. Damien Duff opened the scoring before Croatian debutant Mladen Petric netted twice. Kacaniklic would make it 4-0, before Michael Turner capped off a dreadful competitive debut for Norwich by giving away a penalty allowing Steve Sidwell to put the icing on the host's cake from the spot.

It was only January when we last made the trip to West-London, this time for an FA Cup replay. After City earned the replay by coming back from behind at CR, they couldn't follow it up as their miserable away form continued. Goals from Bent, Dejagah and Sidwell saw the Cottagers into Round 4 and consigned the Yellows to yet another season of Cup disappointment.

HEAD-TO-HEAD STAT

Norwich haven't beaten Fulham since the 1985/86 season (though there have been differences in divisions since then).

WHAT'S IN STORE THIS TIME?

Adams might try to calm the players nerves by insisting this isn't a must-win game, but the simple truth is that right now, considering how Fulham can close the gap on us to just two points, it's absolutely, definately a must-win a game. A good thing about Hughton's dismissal is that it wipes the slate clean in terms of away form and it gives us a chance now to put an old demon to rest in trying to get points at Craven Cottage.

If Adams can get a result there, just about anything might be possible.

OTBC.

Read more: http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=355776#ixzz2ybfztdv4

WhiteJC

Fulham v Norwich: Can toothless attacks prevail over hapless defences at Craven Cottage?

After replacing the fired Chris Hughton, Neil Adams faces a baptism of fire as he readies his Norwich side for a  vital relegation six-pointer at Craven Cottage. Felix Magath's Fulham recorded a crucial victory over Aston Villa last time out, and Joe Baker from Squawka analyses what the German taskmaster will have to overcome in order to guide his men to a second straight Premier League win...   

Fulham vs Norwich
Saturday, 15:07pm

It's been a dark week for Norwich City fans, which began with a lacklustre home loss to West Brom and ended with the sacking of Chris Hughton - a managerial casualty that many believe had been on the cards for weeks, if not months. Truthfully, the Carrow Road board has been remarkably patient with the ex-Newcastle boss, who had guided Norwich to just two Premier League away wins all season - an ominous sign for Saturday's fixture at Craven Cottage.

Fulham fans are likely to find the sacking of Hughton justified, as Martin Jol was relieved of his post in West London after racking up a win percentage of just 23.1% - Hughton's had been similarly dreadful, at 24.2%. Neil Adams must know that three points at Craven Cottage is vital, as his side then face Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal to end the season. If you think Norwich's run-in will see the end of their Premier League stay, then Adams' side are value to be relegated @ 2.18 .

he bottom half of the Premier League table - Norwich may be five points clear of danger, but their run-in is tough.

On the face of it, a clash between Fulham and Norwich seems like a strong candidate for a low-scoring match - the Cottagers have scored just 19 goals in 16 leagues games at home, and Norwich have a dismal scoring record on the road, managing to net just 11 times in 16. However, even the bluntest of attacks should find some joy when playing Fulham at a ground where 75% of clashes have ended in over 2.5 goals, with the average 2.13 goals conceded per game by the hosts contributing hugely to this percentage.

Norwich themselves have shipped a mammoth 39 goals on their league travels this season - add to this that the Cottagers hold the position of most goals conceded (34) at home this season, and the assumption that Saturday afternoon's clash will be short of goalmouth action looks a bit flimsy. If both Fulham and Norwich's otherwise toothless attacks are made to look threatening by some hapless defending, then over 2.5 goals in the game is attractively priced @ 1.98.

Norwich have conceded 39 goals away from home - eclipsed only be Fulham (40).

Despite the potential for goals at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon, we may be made to wait until after the interval for any goal rush to begin. Staggeringly, fixtures involving Felix Magath's Fulham have seen 69.2% (74/107) of goals come in the second half, with Saturday's hosts themselves managing just six goals in the first halves of games at Craven Cottage all season.

Norwich also score the majority (61.5%) of their Premier League goals after the interval, indicating that both sides start games relatively poorly, or in a somewhat cagey manner - there is no real reason to suggest that Saturday afternoon's game will deviate from the trend, especially when considering the repercussions for the losing side. If you think that the Craven Cottage crowd will be treated to an explosive late display, then the second half to feature the most goals is available @ 2.0.

Steven Sidwell (6) is Fulham's top goalscorer, while Gary Hooper & Robert Snodgrass (5) share the mantle for Norwich.

Both Fulham and Norwich lack a recognised striker this season, with Dimitar Berbatov departing Craven Cottage in January, and Hooper threatening to become prolific for the Canaries, but ultimately lacking the service necessary to do so.

Former Celtic hitman Hooper netted the first goal when the Canaries and Cottagers met at Carrow Road earlier this season and Norwich's £5m summer signing does boast an impressive shot accuracy of 63% from 32 shots on goal in the Premier League this season. If you think Hooper can convert his shots on target into goals on Saturday afternoon, then he's @ 7.2 to open the scoring on Saturday.

Pajtim Kasami has been a shining light in an otherwise miserable Fulham campaign - the Swiss midfielder may score rarely, but he has an eye for the sensational. Kasami's touch of flair is evident in his ability to take dangerous direct free-kicks, achieving a shot accuracy of 88.3% (5/6) from dead-ball situations - the one effort which found the back of the net was against Norwich at Carrow Road earlier this season. If you think lightning will strike twice in this fixture, then Kasami is available to score anytime @ 3.45.

Pajtim Kasami's goal-map for Fulham this season - note his ability to score from a variety of positions.

As we come to the make-or-break period of this season's Premier League, relegation scraps such as Fulham v Norwich are bound to become far more heated, with every ball being contested until the final whistle. Norwich's Bradley Johnson is most definitely a whole-hearted individual, who will be eager to impress both his new boss and potential suitors, should the Canaries slip out of the English top flight.

Bradley Johnson has being pretty woeful in the tackle this season - will this cost him a card on Saturday?

Although admirable in his effort, Johnson's tackling can often leave a lot to be desired - the combative Englishman has won just 28.0% (28/101) of his tackles in the Premier League this season, giving away 41 fouls in the process. One too many mistimed tackles on Saturday afternoon would put Johnson and Norwich in a vulnerable position away from home - the ex-Arsenal trainee should trade around 2.0 to be booked at Craven Cottage this weekend.

This clash really does define the term relegation six-pointer, as a loss here could well spell the beginning of the end for both clubs. 

http://betting.betfair.com/football/squawka/fulham-v-norwich---can-toothless-attacks-prevail-over-hapless-defenses-at-craven-cottage-100414-676.html?

WhiteJC

Quartet Available Again

As we go face-to-face with Norwich City this afternoon, looking for a second successive win, we have the latest news in relation to player availability.

On the negative side our costly striker, Kostas Mitroglou is still side-lined with a knee problem but, on the positive side, Felix Magath is able to add Scott Parker, Dan Burn and Giorgos Karagounis to the squad, all are now available after recovering from injury.

Magath is also able to call upon Darren Bent who wasn`t in the squad to face Aston Villa as they are his parent club.

COYW`s

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=355782#ixzz2ybh4IoiJ

WhiteJC

Norwich (h) - A Few Home Truths!

As Fulham prepare to take on fellow Premier League strugglers Norwich City, we`ve a few statistics for you to mull over.

1 - Fulham enter this fixture, against Norwich, knowing they are unbeaten in the last 15 league and cup encounters with Fulham winning 11 and drawing 4

2- Norwich City`s last victory, at Craven Cottage, was way back in 1985/86 when the Canaries won 1-0.

3 - Our home record, in the Premier League, has seen Fulham earn a mere 13 points from 16 games, only bottom of the table Sunderland have fared worse, earning only 12

4 - Our defensive frailties are illustrated by the fact we`ve conceded 74 goals in the Premier League this season, with 34 of them coming at home.

5 - Fulham have used 38 different players this season, the most any Premier League club has used since the formation of the Premier League.

6 - Norwich arrive at Craven Cottage having won only 1 of their last 6 games and that was against bottom of the table Sunderland.

7 - Norwich have gone 8 away matches without a win and of those 8 they`ve lost the last 6

8 - Norwich have lost 12 away games this season, the most of any Premier League club.

9 - Norwich have only scored 26 Premier League goals this season, the second worst total, only Crystal Palace have scored less.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=355783#ixzz2ybhNZV6W

WhiteJC

Fulham v Norwich City: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Fulham and Norwich City at Craven Cottage on Saturday April 12, 2014, kick-off 15.07 (BST)

Testing times: Felix Magath has collected seven points in his first seven Premier League games as Fulham manager, two fewer than predecessor Rene Meulensteen managed in his first seven
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Saturday, April 12, 2014
Fulham v Norwich City
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 15.07 BST.
TV: Highlights, BBC ONE Match of the Day.

Fulham (Possible, 4-1-4-1): Stockdale; Heitinga, Hangeland, Amorebieta, Richardson; Diarra, Holtby, Parker, Sidwell, Kasami; Woodrow.
Out: Briggs (hernia), Duff, Mitroglou (both knee).
Test:

Norwich City (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Ruddy; Martin, Yobo, Bassong, Olsson; Snodgrass, Fer, Tettey, Gutiérrez; Hoolahan; Hooper.
Out: E Bennett (knee).
Tests: Fer (hamstring), Turner (hamstring).

Referee: Mike Dean. Matches: 22, R5 Y86.

Betting: Home 11-10, Away 5-2, Draw 12-5.

Team News
Fulham manager Felix Magath could welcome back a trio of players for the crucial Barclays Premier League clash with fellow strugglers Norwich on Saturday.

Defender Dan Burn is fit after a muscle problem with midfielders Scott Parker and Giorgos Karagounis also returning to the squad.

Club-record signing Kostas Mitroglou remains sidelined with a knee injury but loanee Darren Bent could feature having missed the win over parent club Aston Villa last weekend.

Meanwhile, Norwich caretaker manager Neil Adams says he will select characters ready for a relegation scrap at Craven Cottage.

Defender Michael Turner and Leroy Fer could be in contention to return after recovering from hamstring injuries and Wes Hoolahan is expected to be included in Adams' first starting XI since he succeeded the sacked Chris Hughton last Sunday.

Defender Sebastien Bassong should be fit following a knock, but Elliott Bennett (knee) is again involved with the under-21s.

Stat of the game: Fulham have conceded 74 goals, 14 more than ever before in a Premier League season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/10748478/Fulham-v-Norwich-City-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

Felix: Build On Villa

Felix Magath wants to make last week's victory at Aston Villa all the more significant by beating Norwich City on Saturday afternoon (3.07pm).

Fulham can close the gap on the 17th-place Canaries with victory at Craven Cottage, and Magath is keen to make the most of the momentum gained in Birmingham seven days earlier.

"After the away win we all are more confident of staying in the league," he stated. "It's not good if you don't win and you are on the bottom of the league, but we are not bottom anymore so we are very hopeful.

"Everybody knows we have to win at the weekend. There was an important win last week at Aston Villa but we need another win to make that win worthwhile. If we don't win now, I don't want to say it [the Villa game] was nothing, but it will be [worth] less. We have to win now again."

Norwich arrive in SW6 under the stewardship of new boss Neil Adams, and Magath admitted his side must be wary of the 'new manager syndrome' which can sometimes galvanise teams in this situation.

"It will change the atmosphere and that will help the players," he said of the appointment. "It doesn't make the players better but they are able, with the right mood, to fight and they can change the game. So that makes it more difficult for us to win on Saturday.

"They are trying everything to avoid relegation and I think it makes it harder for us at the weekend because if you change the manager the players give a response and they will fight for 90 minutes, and that's the way they will play on Saturday."

In Thursday's press conference, it was put to Magath that he has improved the team spirit at the Club since he took over in February, but the German was quick to impress that it is a collective effort.

"It's not only about the Manager, it's a question for the whole Club," he explained. "The whole Club has to help you, the whole Club has to be in the right mood, in the right atmosphere, the whole Club has to realise they have to fight together against relegation.

"It's not possible for one man, it doesn't matter who it is, it's only a thing from the whole Club. If the whole Club is ready, it works if you fit all together and go all in the one direction."

The most important part of any football club is the fanbase, and our Manager was full of praise for their input in the previous match, stating: "You saw our last game at Aston Villa; the Fulham fans were tremendous.

"There was a big celebration after the game between the players and the fans. That's what we need and that's what will see us stay in the league."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/april/11/felix-build-on-villa?