watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Poor old Smalling

Started by Jimpav, January 31, 2010, 04:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

He's been the subject of a few snidey digs in the last few match reports. Many were suggesting that he was at fault for the goals conceded and basically having a cheap shot with  these in relation to his move to United. He had a good game yesterday and was not directly at fault for either goal.

The boy has taken the chance of a lifetime and has not been cocky with it. Anyone would gave done the same. I doubt he saw this coming any sooner than we did.   

It will be a shame if they continue to get on his back as he is a bright prospect for England and deserves the chance to improve his game without being scrutinised by the media.     

The Doctor

Not that I've seen any match reports, but I can imagine that the press will be taking a keen interest in him for the reaminder of his time with us.  His name will be prefixed with "United's £12m youngster" in every report and there will be detailed critiques of his strengths and weaknesses.  Variations along the theme of "[..will serve him well/...which needs improving] if he wants to make an impact with Ferguson" will be frequent.

One thing that I have noticed in his few appearances is that the central defence when Smalling plays is more settled when he's partnered with Hughes than it is when he's with Hangeland.  Is it possible that Hughes is our defensive organiser?  Possibly another hidden attribute to the relatively underated Hughes?   

Jimpav

Very true, the hype and speculation will only increase as the season continues. Hopefully Woy and the team will give him support and keep him grounded.

Hughes gave us some stability at right back yesterday but left back is where we will leak goals from until JP is covered.

I can see AH taking the captaincy again when Murphy retires/moves on, I think that will be when we see him at his peak.

LRCN

well that's what comes from joining a big club and he should and would have expected it. I'm not sure if he's been highlighted because he's joining united though, those were two errors (those errors where it's 50/50 whether you can blame him or not, because they weren't clangers).

Motown

Quote from: Jimpav on January 31, 2010, 04:26:43 PM
He's been the subject of a few snidey digs in the last few match reports. Many were suggesting that he was at fault for the goals conceded and basically having a cheap shot with  these in relation to his move to United. He had a good game yesterday and was not directly at fault for either goal.

The boy has taken the chance of a lifetime and has not been cocky with it. Anyone would gave done the same. I doubt he saw this coming any sooner than we did.   

It will be a shame if they continue to get on his back as he is a bright prospect for England and deserves the chance to improve his game without being scrutinised by the media.     

Agree with your second two paras. But... he was at fault for the first goal when Agbonlahor ignored the obvious height differential and err... got above him! RH said as much post match when he referred to Smalling's 'inexperience'.

It might be heresy, but I doubt the wisdom of playing Smalling yesterday. He would have had to be superhuman to have had his head anywhere but elsewhere, and his performance reflected that; he was mediocre in a mediocre, mismatched defence. (And if Brede's looking a pale shadow of his former self, who does Smalling have to look to?)

Actually, I doubt the wisdom of keeping him until the end of the season. You can count the senior games he's had for us on a hand missing a digit or two. Is his head truly going to be in it for whatever games he plays for the remainder?

We've done astonishingly well if the financial figures are to believed. And I genuinely wish Chris well for a career which, with the right tutelage, may seem him reach full England status.

Let him go now, and play players committed to this team.

Peabody

Quote from: Jimpav on January 31, 2010, 04:57:14 PM
Very true, the hype and speculation will only increase as the season continues. Hopefully Woy and the team will give him support and keep him grounded.

Hughes gave us some stability at right back yesterday but left back is where we will leak goals from until JP is covered.

I can see AH taking the captaincy again when Murphy retires/moves on, I think that will be when we see him at his peak.

JP has been playing RB for us since his arrival and of course if he had'nt of been injured, we would'nt have had his services any way because he would have been in Africa