watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

stockdale very poor today

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, April 19, 2014, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Really? Blaming Stockdale today shows a total misunderstanding on what a GK can and can't do in those situations.

Texas White

Quote from: MJG on April 19, 2014, 06:24:41 PM
Really? Blaming Stockdale today shows a total misunderstanding on what a GK can and can't do in those situations.

Yep. Bewildering comments.

Defenders have to be first to the ball.

ffc73

defence at fault for conceding 2 cheap free kicks and then not defending thm. 

+ the whole outfield 10 for not starting the second half until 1-2 down.

Stockdale?  Absolved of all blame as far as I (and reading this thread) most others think

HatterDon

I've pointed out before -- more than once -- that we have had no idea all season how to defend dead ball situations. This isn't something Rene could fix in his short time, nor is it something that can be fixed in a short time by Felix. This WON'T be fixed until the next pre-season. We're always vulnerable to free kicks and corner kicks because our previous manager gradually degraded our defensive strategy and tactics.

Blaming the goalkeeper for any of the goals today is just silly. The only motive I can think for hanging this defeat on Stockdale is if the person doing the blaming is a fan of Stekelenberg and can only show that support by denigrating Stockdale.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Skatzoffc

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on April 19, 2014, 02:53:09 PM
Should have come for 2 of their 3 goals, those crosses were close to him.

Cant agree on that. Those crosses were superb.
Too low a trajectory and with pace. The most difficult crosses for a goalie to go for when he has 10 guys 3 foot in front of him.

No blame on Stockers for me. And he pulled off a wonderful save as well.

The people to blame, if that is your bag, are the ones who gave away the free kicks in dangerous positions when up against one of the most talented midfield free kick takers in the league. I dont rate the marking system either but it certainly wasn't man for man imo.

COYW!

049:gif
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

westcliff white

Quote from: Texas White on April 19, 2014, 06:36:47 PM
Quote from: MJG on April 19, 2014, 06:24:41 PM

Yep. Bewildering comments.

Defenders have to be first to the ball.

Played twenty years in goal at a decent level, was always coached and told that defenders should be the first to cut out crosses but when a keeper comes he should only do so if he expects to get there. For dead balls if it is over the wall a keeper should only come if again he thinks he can get there, he should never come galf way and go back or come through a crowd of players, I am not blaming stockers, like I don't blame stek either for his mistakes as they have both made great saves this year, but if you come a for cross you have to make it, the third goal is an error but that is the life of a keeper.
Every day is a Fulham day

Andy S

The fault for two of the goals seems to be the modern way of not putting a player on each post. Today it cost us dearly

hovewhite

From last season we have not been able to defend as a team full stop don't blame keeper
For schoolboy defending.

Slaphead in Qatar

Looks like I've been lynched on this thread. Watched the goals again last night, sorry but I still think the crosses were too close to him and he should have come out and punched. Our defence was also completely static and equally at fault, I am not just picking faults with stocky who I prefer to stek.

One Martin Thomas

Stockdale needs games and lots of them.  The lad has been waiting in the wings for a long time and as a club we need to show confidence in him.  Our soft centred defence is pathetic.  The best defensive display I have seen this year was at Old Trafford with Burn and Heitinga.  These two are the new "Hughes and Hangeland".  In my opinion.

I can understand why Stockdale divides opinion so easily.  He can do the brilliant and he can do the average.  He's still young.  One thing that always bothered me slightly was why Hodgson took Butland instead of Stockdale to a major international event.  Did Hodgson ever really like him ?

The centre of midfield is also a massive concern.  On paper, Parker and Kvist should protect our defence quite nicely.  However, they get pulled out of position too easily.  Parker has not been the same since Xmas.

Today's results pull us right back again.  We are no longer looking up at Norwich, but behind us and around us at Sunderland and Cardiff.  I disagree that 6 points are enough.  Minimum must be 7.

bobbo

Here here skatzoffc, your definition right on the money
1975 just leaving home full of hope