https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (25/04/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 24, 2014, 08:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham stalwart honoured by former Bolton Wanderers star Fabrice Muamba

Winner: Fabrice Muamba (R) presents Tom Newman with the Barclays Merit award

Fulham FC turnstile manager Tom Newman has been presented with the first Barclays Merit Award.

He has been recognised as an Unsung Club Hero by the Whites and Premier League title sponsors Barclays.

Newman has been working on the turnstiles at Craven Cottage for almost 50 years and was nominated for the Barclays Merit Award by Fulham for his selfless dedication.

Fabrice Muamba, who launched the Barclays Merit Award earlier this season, as part of Barclays Thank you campaign, was at the stadium to present him with the award yesterday on Tuesday, March 22.

Speaking about the award, Newman said: "I was overwhelmed when I found out I had won the Barclays Merit Award, I didn't event know that I had been nominated. I'm extremely thankful to the club, my team, and the fans – they make coming to work a joy."

One of the first to arrive every match day, Newman will work every fixture at Craven Cottage including youth and development squad matches come rain or shine.

He started work in the turnstiles at Fulham with his father, a life-long fan, and has since worked at over 1,500 home fixtures.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-stalwart-honoured-former-bolton-7026358?

WhiteJC

Parker's Pledge

Scott Parker insists the Fulham squad are fully aware of what's required from them ahead of three of the biggest games in the Club's history.

Positive results against Hull City, Stoke City and Crystal Palace are a necessity if the Whites are to avoid relegation, and Parker has pledged that he and his teammates will be doing all they can to preserve the top-flight status the Club has enjoyed for 13 years.

"We all understand the responsibility we have as players," he told fulhamfc.com. "Ultimately, we're going out there for a lot of people and it's in our hands to try and win games to keep us in the league, so we all understand that responsibility that's needed from us.

"I'd probably be lying if I said the mood around the place was fantastic because obviously when you're down near the bottom of the league it's very tense, very nervy. I'm hoping we can all just stick together and give it one final push, and hopefully have a bit of luck, and see what happens."

Six points gained from our last three matches have injected a real aura of belief around the Club, and Parker was adamant that the Fulham faithful more than played their part in the recent resurgence, and called for more of the same for the remainder of the campaign.

"The fans have been fantastic and we need that added push from them," he said. "The fans have been absolutely superb considering we, as players, haven't given them a lot to shout about this year.

"All of us realise things haven't been great and we could have done a lot better at times. The fans have been fantastic and we need their support more than ever, and I'm sure they'll keep at it. They've been right behind us and all I can say is a big thank you for that, and hopefully that's what's going to pull us through."

Parker's return to First Team contention is a timely boost for Felix Magath, with the midfielder's cameo appearance against Norwich City followed up with a start at his old stamping ground at the weekend.

He'd missed the previous five outings through injury and there were concerns when he was withdrawn early in the second half against Tottenham Hotspur, but Parker allayed fears regarding his fitness ahead of Saturday's clash with Hull.

He explained: "It was a bit unfortunate as I got a dead leg early in the game and sometimes you can play through that but this one was quite bad.

"Once half-time came the leg really starting filling up with blood so it was very difficult for me to move, so that's why I ended up coming off, but it's getting there. I'll be okay for the weekend, touch wood.

"I'd been out for some time with my knee which I'd done in training. I've come through the other side of that now so if the Manager picks me and I'm in the team I need to just hit the ground running and give everything I can, along with everyone else.

"We all know the situation we're in and what's needed and we need to all give it one final push and try and get maximum points out of our last three games."

Some pundits have suggested Fulham's run-in is favourable when compared to that of our relegation rivals, but Parker is expecting a real test of his side's credentials when the Tigers visit Craven Cottage on Saturday.

The Humberside outfit have enjoyed a prosperous campaign but are still not safe, and a Fulham win would move us to within three points of our 14th-placed opponents.

"They're looking over their shoulder a little but I think they'll be safe," Parker stated. "Obviously they've got an FA Cup Final to look forward to so I think they've had a very good season.

"I'm sure they won't be taking their eye off any game, especially with a manager like Steve Bruce, so it will be a difficult game for us.

"They're obviously a threat with a couple of good forwards who they've signed. They've also got Tom Huddlestone and Jake Livermore who I'm familiar with from our time at Tottenham – they're two very, very good footballers – and at the back as well they're quite solid so it's going to be a very tough game.

"I think, like all games at this part of the season where we are, they're all difficult. We need to try and do what we can do, and try and influence the game as much as we can, and try and win it. At this part of the season it's not necessarily about playing well, it's not about how many goals, or this and that, it's just about winning the game."

Tickets for Saturday's game are still available to buy on General Sale, with prices starting from £35 for adults and just £1 for juniors!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/april/24/parkers-pledge?

WhiteJC

No hope in Hull! Stockdale says Tigers won't be pushovers

Arsenal FA Cup showdown won't distract Steve Bruce's side, according to keeper

Roar: Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale is up for Saturday's clash with Hull
David Stockdale says Fulham can forget about Hull switching off at the Cottage on Saturday just because they have an FA Cup final on their minds.

The Tigers reached their first final in the famous old competition with a 5-3 win over Sheffield United earlier this month and with Premier League safety all but guaranteed, they could be excused for having their focus elsewhere.

But 28-year-old Stockdale had six months on loan at the KC Stadium last season and says it would be folly to believe that.

"I don't think any team managed by Steve Bruce is going to roll over for anyone just because they are in a final," Stockdale said.

Safe hands: Fulham keeper David Stockdale
"It's not for a few weeks anyway and it's not like it's just a week away. Also, players will want to show they deserve to play in that game. I really enjoyed my time at Hull and am really grateful to Steve Bruce for giving me a chance. He knows how to get the best out of his players and they will be very dangerous.

"This season has shown that everyone can beat anyone on their day and we have to be on top of our game, it's as simple as that. There's no way we'll underestimate them.

"They scored five last week, but we already knew they have goals in them because they hit us at their place [6-0 in December].

"We have to look at it as needing three wins from our last three games to stay up. We know that with two games to come at home we still have a great chance and we back ourselves to do it – especially if the fans get behind us, as they always do.

In action: David Stockdale faces Yaya Toure from the penalty spot
"It was disappointing not to get anything [at Spurs on Saturday]. I thought we played well enough in parts to get something out of it, but it was not to be. Maybe we need to defend better and not give away so many free kicks in dangerous positions, but I think they put in some great free kicks and it wasn't just a case of bad defending.

"I think we're looking forward to these games now. The two wins we had before Spurs have given us belief that we are capable of escaping."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/no-hope-hull-stockdale-says-7027217?

WhiteJC

Fulham Fans Can't Take Much More Of This Uncertainty

After losing to Spurs, every game really is a cup final now for Fulham...

Fulham Fans Can't Take Much More Of This Uncertainty

I'm not quite sure I can take much more of this. The only safe thing to say is that I currently possess the blood pressure of Rik Waller. Whilst I do my hourly Premier League Predictor entries, I find myself losing brain cells.

What can be guaranteed is that I probably won't last the season. My brain has literally given up on imagining what is to be and what could be, and has just fully shutdown into safe mode. At this point, I find myself just going along with it, holding little expectation, and seeing how that pans out. It won't work. I can guarantee you that.

It's been a while since we've been fighting for, well, anything really. Mediocrity has been awash on the banks of the Thames, following our Europa League adventures, and weirdly enough, I've strangely enjoyed our struggles.

Now let's not get this confused with the desire to languish in the lower leagues, but it's nice to have something to play for in the second half of the season. It'll probably be the death of me, but some just like to live life on the edge.

Focusing on the defeat at Tottenham, I can't say I expected a repeat of last year's exploits. As much as we were in form, White Hart Lane is usually quite a tough ground for us. A horrific 5-1 defeat on Boxing Day back in 2007 springs to mind.

On the whole, I thought we were good value for a point going into the break. We had our fair share of chances, and tested Lloris' world-class ability. We showed good character by replying almost instantaneously to the home side's opener, and it was clear to see why we have managed to give ourselves a fighting chance of staying up.

However, with Diarra, Richardson and Holtby all missing, we were lacking in midfield. Their collective absence shone through in the second half, with Spurs taking the initiative. Having said that, the pivotal moment was Steve Sidwell's penalty miss. Following the save by Lloris, the life was sucked out of the boys and it was virtually game over.

There are positives to take from North London, despite the result. We seemed to hold up well, despite notable exclusions, and it has still maintained my hope that we can stay in this division. With our run-in, anything is possible.

A certain conclusion I draw from the game is that I really don't like Tim Sherwood. He resembles a man who has received a new heart by an organ donor, and starts spouting on about how it is his right to have it. He seems too comfortable as manager at Tottenham for my liking, and he oozes vulgar arrogance. Some might find this barmy, but I accumulate pleasure from developing certain pet hates. Sherwood is definitely one of them.

Now I've got that out of the way. Results didn't exactly fall in our favour over the weekend. I found myself in a situation where I was furious at a Chelsea loss. This relegation malarkey is really ruining my conscious, and I feel as if I have to sell my soul to earn my survival. But as I converted to the dark side for 90 minutes, I was to be punished for my actions, as Sunderland stole three points from the Bridge.

This has made me ever so nervous about our encounter against Hull this weekend. For now, I feel as if we are up against Barcelona, and I'm currently playing through everything that can go wrong, in my head. That's just the pessimist in me, I guess. Every game has an obscene amount of importance, and the final three are genuinely all cup finals (pardon the horrifically clichéd term).

A close eye will be kept on events at the Stadium of Light, with Sunderland and Cardiff battling it out. As much as you shouldn't focus too much on other results, with the battle royale that is currently in full swing, you have to. This weekend could make it a lot clearer for all involved, then again it probably won't. What do I know? What I do know is that Fulham are toying with me like the pretty girl inside the club. Let's hope all the tireless work and effort pays off. Till next week.

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/fulham-fans-cant-take-much-more-of-this-uncertainty/?#_

WhiteJC

MARCELLO TROTTA GETS ITALY CALL-UP

Brentford's on-loan striker Marcello Trotta called up to Italy Under-21 training camp

Brentford's on-loan striker Marcello Trotta has been called up to an Italy Under-21 training camp.

The 21-year-old is on loan at Brentford from Fulham for the 2013/14 season, his second spell at Griffin Park.

He has scored 13 goals for Brentford this season, helping The Bees to achieve promotion from Sky Bet League One.

Marcello has been called up for an Italy Under-21 training camp in Florence next week.

He will fly to Italy on Sunday, April 27, after Brentford's Sky Bet League One match against Colchester United.

The training camp will end on Tuesday, April 29, with a training match against Fiorentina Primavera.

Marcello scored on his debut for Italy's Under-21 side in a 2-0 win over Northern Ireland in a 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championships qualifier in March.

He has also scored in two training matches.

The Northern Ireland win was Italy's fourth win in six qualifying games.

They are currently third in Qualifying Group Nine with 12 points, a point behind joint leaders Belgium and Serbia with two games remaining, which are to be played in September.

Read more at http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/brentford-fulham-marcello-trotta-italy-1508086.aspx#FvdY4AAzz6lGcjPO.99

WhiteJC

Fulham's loan ranger Richards is loving his Dons life

Living the quiet life: Tom Richards

Dons on loan defender Tom Richards has moved out of home – but not to live the bachelor life, rather he needs some peace and quiet.

And it is not surprising given the 19-year-old is one of 12 children, meaning the sanctuary of his gran's house is ideal.

Richards joined AFC Wimbledon from Fulham in March until the end of the season, and has helped guide the Dons to a run of just two defeats in 11 games.

The teenager is hoping his time at the Cherry Red Records stadium will impressed Felix Magath enough to have a shot at the Craven Cottage first team.

However, for the time being is happy to test himself against the rough and tumble of League Two, which included a 2-1 win at Plymouth Argyle on Monday.

Goals from fellow loanee Kwesi Appiah, and Jack Midson, saw off the challenge of the Pilgrims, while Appiah also scored in Friday's 2-2 draw with Newport County, alongside George Francomb.

Richards said: "It has been very different to U21s football at Fulham, but it's been a good experience.

"It's more physical, and there are bigger crowds to deal with obviously.

"The aim is to get first team experience, playing against adults, because with the U21s it's just the reserves and young players.

"A couple of games have been harder than others, but overall I've found it all right. I'm quite quick, which is good and makes up for what I lack in size."

The versatile Richards is compared to Damien Duff and he watched the Irish winger, as well as Kieran Richardson and John Arne Riise, closely when invited to train with them during Rene Meulensteen's tenure at the Cottage.

As for next season, he predicts another loan stint somewhere but hasn't given up hope of impressing Magath.

"The club like us to go out on loan to get some first team football, and get some experience to see how we cope," he added.

"I've got another year on my contract, so I'll probably get out on loan again, but you never know what happens, it depends how the manager sees it, if he's impressed he could bring me into the first team."

If Richards goes out on loan again, chances are he will keep his present digs and stay away from the noise of such a large family in Guildford.

He said: "I moved in with my gran in December to get a bit of peace and quiet to help me concentrate on my football, which has really helped and is so important to me.

"Living with gran is challenging, but fun."

Dons host Morecambe this weekend, before ending the season with a trip to Accrington Stanley.

http://www.streathamguardian.co.uk/sport/11170582._/?

WhiteJC

The FourFourTwo Preview: Fulham vs Hull

Premier League | Craven Cottage | Sat 26 Apr | 3pm
Billed as
FulHul.
The lowdown

Fulham have three games to save their lives. Well, not literally – they won't be summarily shot upon relegation – but extending their 13-­year top-­flight spell depends on this, next week's trip to Stoke and the last­-day duel with Palace.

If Fulham don't fancy a derby with Brentford next season (not to mention Millwall, Charlton and possibly Orient and QPR) they'll need points, fast. Like QPR avoiding the drop in 2011/12 by winning their last five Loftus Road fixtures, Fulham may be saved by their home games. The Cottagers have the division's second­-lowest home points haul, having lost 11 and shipped 34, but Felix Magath has been turning around that tanker.
His team have beaten both Norwich and Newcastle 1-0, with understandable 3­-1 losses to Everton and Chelsea. The German, who first mentioned in March that Fulham's form at the Cottage could make or break their season, measured most of his words carefully this week when he said: "We have to win our home games and if we make six points it could be enough. We will stay up. Maybe we have the chance of a point at Stoke."

Two home wins would take Fulham to 36 points, which is where Hull sit. Like Fulham, the Tigers have scored 20 at home but have only conceded 19 to the Cottagers' 34, meaning they have gathered 25 points to Fulham's 16; those nine points would hoist Fulham to 12th. But if your auntie was your uncle, she'd have knackers and a 'tache.

Hull have been solid against teams in the bottom half, gaining 28 points in the 16 games they've played against teams 11th and lower. Although Wembley hovers on the horizon (Are you sure? – Geography & Physics Eds), Steve Bruce won't let his side's minds wander.

"I'm not really interested in Wembley just yet," he said after defeat at Arsenal. "We've got to stay in this league and let Wembley look after itself in four weeks." Bruce is determined to ensure safety as soon as possible, preferably against Fulham and Villa, considering their the final two games are at Old Trafford and at home to Everton.

The first goal is never irrelevant but you get the feeling it will matter more than usual here. Of Hull's 16 league games since that Boxing Day ding­-dong with Manchester United, only three have featured goals from both sides, and the Tigers haven't won any of them. Only Palace have a worse record than Hull after conceding first: the Tigers have lost 17 of the 18 games in which they've conceded the initiative. (Fulham have won 3 of 24!)

Hull have failed to score on 15 occasions: only Cardiff and Palace have drawn more blanks. Even since harnessing Nikica Jelavic and Shane Long, they've misfired on five of 12 occasions, so Fulham's defence – in which Magath has notably preferred experience, as opposed to the youthful enthusiasm he has attempted to tap further forward – has a chance of taming the Tigers. It's also worth noting Hull have conceded three in each of their last two games, and that there hasn't been a 0-­0 at the Cottage since August 2011.

Both teams have won three and lost five of the last eight games, but Fulham's goal difference in that time is ­10 to Hull's 3. Magath might not mind as long as he gets enough wins to survive.
Team news
Hull might have the full complement of strikers to throw at Fulham. Long (calf) and Sone Aluko (hammy) face Friday fitness tests but can expect to pack their overnight bags, while Yannick Sagbo can also browse a London tourist brochure after the FA decided a £15,000 fine sufficed as punishment for that whole Anelka­-quenelle­ "Legend" ­tweet thing. Add in Jelavic and Matty Fryatt, and Bruce could opt to play an old-­fashioned 2­-3-­5 formation. But won't.

Should they do so, Hull might have a fair few defensive options back. Magath gave positive, if weirdly­ worded, reports on left-­back Kieran Richardson ("muscle problems"), right-­back Sascha Riether ("throat, headache"), and midfielders Mahamadou Diarra ("knee problem") and Scott Parker ("kick on the muscle").

Player to watch: Hugo Rodallega (Fulham)
Cometh the hour, cometh the man? Not always – someone has to be relegated, usually with a full complement of coming men – but if Fulham are to find a hero it could be the Colombian. After starting 2 of Fulham's first 33 league games (including the 6­-0 loss at Hull), and presumably watching bemused as Magath initially turned to kids like Cauley Woodrow and Patrick Roberts, Rodallega got the nod against Norwich and scored a crucial winner, one of a match-­leading 5 shots.

Retained at Tottenham, he was sent clean through but his shot was closer to the linesman than Hugo Lloris – but he was dominant in the air, winning 8 of his 11 aerial duels, having won only 3 of 11 against Norwich.

The managers
Steve Bruce, born in 1960, is 53. Felix Magath, born in 1953, is 60. Ain't maths wonderful?
Facts and figures
8 of Hull's last 10 away matches have had fewer than 3 goals.
Fulham have scored in 18 of their last 19 home matches.
9 of Fulham's last 12 home games have had more goals in the second half than the first.
Hull have lost 1-0 or 2-0 in half their 16 away matches this season.
Best Bet: Over 2.5 Goals @ 2.05

FourFourTwo prediction
Hull are the better team but Fulham have the bigger need, and it's late April. Another 1-­0 to the Cottagers.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwo-preview-fulham-vs-hull#BfFFWOT6hVHMBJqe.99

WhiteJC

Determined To Succeed

It's fair to say that Fernando Amorebieta's debut season in English football hasn't gone as he'd planned.

The defender, though, is determined to help his side to a strong finish, with six points from our previous three matches offering hope.

"We need to be looking at ourselves and what we can do in the final three matches," Amorebieta tells Saturday's matchday programme. "The aim is to win them all; I think nine points will be enough. So it's a very simple process for us, it's all about what we do, not what happens with the likes of Sunderland, Cardiff City, Norwich City or West Bromwich Albion.

"It's been a tough season and we know we should have done better. But it's our chance to put a few things right now, and do all we can to ensure Fulham are in the Premier League next season. I know I haven't been here very long, but I'm a player that gives everything I have.

"I like to tackle hard, and sometimes in La Liga that counted against me. The players that are 'hard' or 'dirty' in Spain are considered 'committed' in England. It's a different culture here, and I believe I'm more suited to that style."

To read the full interview with Amorebieta, pick up an official matchday programme on Saturday.

Other key content in the only matchday magazine that matters - which is available to download digitally from 9am on Saturday - include: 

Felix Magath's programme notes
Brede Hangeland takes the Fulham 50 challenge
Simon Morgan revisits a 3-0 win at Hull in 1996
Fulham and Hull star Jimmy Bullard assesses the Cottage encounter
And Moritz Volz is Yesterday's Hero
Priced £3.50, the 84-page publication is available from sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Fans can also order copies directly from www.programmemaster.com
The programme is also available as an app with added video content from 9am on Saturday via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags for £1.99.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/april/25/prog-plug?

WhiteJC

Fulham aim to dispel Hull nightmare

Relegation-threatened Fulham will be hoping for a completely different result against Hull City on Saturday, having lost 6-0 at the KC Stadium earlier this season.

Fulham were embarrassed at Hull in December as they were hammered 6-0 at the KC Stadium as Ahmed Elmohamady, Robert Koren (twice), George Boyd, Tom Huddlestone and Matty Fryatt all got on the scoresheet against the Cottagers.

That result contributed hugely to Fulham's disastrous goal difference (-42), the worst in the Premier League, which puts them at a major disadvantage in the race for survival with all the other sides around them having a superior goal difference.

Fulham have conceded 77 goals in the league this season – 12 more than the next worst defence (Cardiff City, 65) – and the Cottagers are desperate for three priceless points when they host Hull at Craven Cottage.

A win could see Fulham move out of the relegation zone with Norwich City facing a trip to Manchester United while Cardiff and Sunderland in 18th and 20th respectively meet each other at the Stadium of Light on Sunday.

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/47464-fulham-aim-to-dispel-hull-nightmare.php

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham v Hull

This is a huge game for Fulham, who are banking on winning this one and their final home match, against Crystal Palace on 11 May, to stay up.

The Cottagers were competitive at Tottenham last time out, despite their eventual defeat, and they are nothing like as bad a team as they were three or four months ago.

Hull were rolled over very easily by Arsenal last week and they have their FA Cup final against the Gunners on the horizon, too.

With 36 points, the Tigers are not mathematically safe from relegation yet, and a defeat here might set the alarm bells off.

To be honest, I think Hull will stay up with what they have got because I cannot see three of the bottom four teams reaching 36 points, but one win in their last four games would obviously cement their survival.

As soon as they do that, then they really will have their minds on Wembley.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1
Zac's prediction: 1-1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27133256

WhiteJC

The Bees Knees: Brentford fans can dream of QPR and Fulham derbies after promotion

Our Brentford blogger Tom Newman gives his thoughts on the Bees' promotion to the Championship.

Has there ever been a better headline than: 'Brentford will play in the Championship next season after a 1-0 victory against Preston this afternoon'?

Brentford are promoted. Tears were shed, hugs were exchanged, drinks were shared and went on late into the night in TW8.

Bees fans have had it rough since our last visit to the second tier of English football, particularly the cruel end to last season but Friday has well and truly buried the hatchet on that now. Brentford are going up.

In hindsight he seems inconceivable how any of us thought we would 'bottle it' again, a seven point margin at the late stage of the season was going to take a miracle to overturn. We all know the 'it's Brentford innit' that had seemingly cursed us all these years.

But not 'New Brentford' -the Brentford that is run so well by Matthew Benham, an owner every club wants.

With him running this wonderful football club, we will go far.

For that, being sure I say on behalf of all Brentford supporters - Matthew Benham, we cannot thank you enough for all you've done for our club, your club and long may the good times flow!

With this season now mathematically over, if you're anything like me you'd be endlessly thinking of the wealth of games we'll be playing next season, the teams at championship level will be what we've all been dreaming of and we can all hope for a west London Derby or two!

So enjoy the rest of the season/party and then next season; who knows where we can go?

http://www.london24.com/sport/the_bees_knees_brentford_fans_can_dream_of_qpr_and_fulham_derbies_after_promotion_1_3572928

WhiteJC

Why Fulham's future could be bright (if they can stay up)

Roy Hodgson masterminded a great escape at Fulham and Felix Magath could be about to do the same. (Picture: Getty Images)

It's not wise to think too far ahead when you find yourselves in the kind of peril Fulham do right now.

As I'm sure Felix Magath would testify, it's all about the next game, the next potential three points.

But, strangely, this relegation dogfight, one which looks destined to play out right until the very last moment, has brought back some rather fond memories for some fans.

Not of the way we have played this season, nor the sorry state we are in, but of our future, both short and long term.

In 2008, things were not much better at Craven Cottage. Though a smart run of form had abetted our belief, the tide was truly against us and relegation looked a foregone conclusion.

Yet, of course, it wasn't. We avoided the drop with more fine, inspirational performances to round off what was one of the greatest escapes in Premier League history.

And now, in 2014, with three games to go, who's to say it will not happen again? A win over Hull City, a point at the Britannia, and a most-likely nervy victory against Crystal Palace would almost certainly see us safe.

It's not that simple, we know that, but you cannot help but draw comparisons between, for example, the tense final day at Portsmouth six years ago and the day of destiny we are soon to face.

Felix Magath has worked on Fulham's defence (Picture: Getty Images)

So there is short term hope. But there is long term belief, too.

Only a year after that vital win at Fratton Park, Fulham recorded their highest ever Premier League finish of seventh, qualifying for the Europa League in the process.

Roy Hodgson morphed a group of ordinary players into a unit that was genuinely feared. All in only a year.

Felix Magath and Hodgson are not the same, naturally, but it's hard not to notice some minor parallels in their work.

We are tighter at the back now with our new, German manager. The team is organised, and everybody has their defensive duties, regardless of position. We seem, generally, stronger at home, too.

And so it is not outlandish to think that, with the support of chairman Shahid Khan over the summer, with safety hopefully confirmed, Magath can start to build a squad of his liking and that, come next season, relegation will be the last of our concerns.

Who knows? Maybe in two years' time, another European final will beckon?

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/25/why-fulhams-future-could-be-bright-if-they-can-stay-up-4708108/?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Hull

By Simon Brotherton
Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Saturday, 26 April

TEAM NEWS

Fulham midfielder Scott Parker is expected to recover from a dead leg in time to face Hull.

Kieran Richardson, Sascha Riether and Mahamadou Diarra could also be available despite missing last week's defeat at Tottenham.

Hull forward Shane Long is fit again after a calf injury sustained against Arsenal last week.

Fellow forward Sone Aluko is also expected to be part of the squad after a hamstring problem.

MATCH PREVIEW

Felix Magath has never wavered in his insistence that Fulham will stay up, but time is running short and there's little or no room for error now.

Magath has said all along that home games are key and, realistically, they need to win this one and beat Crystal Palace at the Cottage on the final day to stand any chance of staying up.

Fulham will feel optimistic after winning two of the last three at home, most recently beating Norwich 1-0, and given Hull's pretty awful record on the road this season.

Only Norwich (13) and Fulham themselves (12) have lost more league games on their travels than Steve Bruce's side, who've lost 11.

Talking of poor away form, the reverse fixture in late December was notable for the shambolic second-half collapse of Fulham that saw them concede six goals in the second half at the KC Stadium.

It was, and still is, Hull's biggest-ever win in the Premier League and remains Fulham's worst Premier League defeat. Hull couldn't stop scoring that afternoon but after hitting six in one day, they've struggled to scale those heights since.

Conceding goals has remained a problem for Fulham. Three conceded against Tottenham last week took them to 77 so far, which is already 17 more than they've ever let in before in a Premier League campaign.

Hull have 36 points and should be fine but they could do with another one or two between now and the end of the season just to make sure.

In 11 of the 18 seasons since the Premier League went to 20 teams, 36 points has not been enough to avoid the drop.

It was for Fulham in 2007-08, though, as they avoided falling through the trap door on goal difference ahead of Reading. They're currently six points short of that as they head into what appears to be a must-win game.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Hull have won the last two Premier League meetings, scoring eight goals without reply, including a 6-0 victory in the reverse fixture this season. That defeat was Fulham's heaviest in the Premier League.

Fulham have only beaten Hull once in the Premier League (W1, L4).

Fulham
Only Sunderland (12) have earned fewer points at home this season than Fulham (16). However, they have won two of their last three league games at Craven Cottage.
Fulham have the worst defensive record in the Premier League this season, conceding 77 goals.
They have conceded a league-high 31 goals from set pieces this season.
The Whites have won three of their last six league matches.
Six of Fulham's nine league goals since Felix Magath took over have been scored in the second half.
Steve Sidwell's seven goals this season represents his best-ever Premier League return.

Hull City
Hull scored six second-half goals to beat Fulham 6-0 on 28 December. In the 15 Premier League games since then, they have only scored 12 times.
Only Cardiff (10) and Norwich (8) have earned fewer away points than Hull (11) this season.
If only the second half of games counted this season, Hull would be bottom of the league.
Only Crystal Palace (two) have earned fewer points from losing positions this season than Hull (three).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27084885

WhiteJC

Fulham v Hull, an inconvenient truth

We don't do that well in this fixture:

August 2008, Hull 2-1 Fulham

Hull City marked their first appearance in English football's top-flight by coming from behind to beat Fulham.

Substitute Caleb Folan side-footed home the winner after fellow sub Craig Fagan caught Fulham defender Paul Konchesky in possession in his own penalty area
March 2009, Fulham 0-1 Hull

An injury-time goal from Manucho stole Hull a valuable three points in their relegation battle as they beat Fulham.

Manucho sidefooted in at the far post from a Richard Garcia cross at the end of a game that Fulham dominated.
October 2009, Fulham 2-0 Hull

Fulham moved away from the bottom end of the Premier League after an easy victory over an unambitious Hull side.
March 2010, Hull 2-0 Fulham

Jimmy Bullard scored against his former club as Hull edged closer to safety in manager Iain Dowie's first home game.

Bullard smashed home a first-half penalty after the lively Jose Altidore was wrestled to the ground by Manchester United-bound Chris Smalling.

Craig Fagan wrapped things up with a looping header to leave Hull 18th but now level on 27 points with West Ham.
December 2013, Hull 6-0 Fulham

Hull scored six second-half goals to thrash Fulham and go seven points clear of the Premier League relegation zone.

It was the Tigers' biggest-ever victory in the Premier League.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/04/25/fulham-v-hull-an-inconvenient-truth/?

WhiteJC

Youth Cups and Young Manhood by Stephen Catanese

Rich here: just wanted to introduce Stephen's fabulous post from Dallas – when I found out he was going to go I asked if he'd mind writing something up, and was overjoyed when he said yes.  A real privilege to have something from the ground, as it were. Enjoy!

Fulham was in Dallas last week, or at least the U-19′s were. I was also in Dallas.

As a Pittsburgh-based Fulham supporter for – shockingly, when I think about it – about a decade, I couldn't resist an opportunity to catch the U-19′s participate in the 35th incarnation of the Dallas Cup, America's (firmly, indisputably) most prestigious international youth tournament.

Squads sent from clubs such as Anderlecht, Eintracht Frankfurt, River Plate, Fluminese, the Los Angeles Galaxy, the U.S. U-20′s and, most importantly of all, mighty, mighty Fulham entered teams in upper-most of several age and skill-based divisions.

The top team in each of the Jago Super Group's brackets, along with one wild card, advance to the knockout stage.

Fulham won the tournament last year, no easy feat, and looked to have an opportunity to do so again. Through two of their three group games, the Whites had dispatched Bracket A foes FC Dallas (4-0) and impeccably Swedish IF Brommapojkarna (2-1).

Brazillian club Coritiba FC, Fulham's final group opponent, enjoyed the same undefeated success against the same opposition, setting up a showdown between the two sides on April 16 for a spot in the knockout round. A draw held little-to-no certitude of advancement.

Games were played either in the Cotton Bowl, an aged, American football stadium that can pack in over 90,000 humans at a time, or amid a tapestry of Adidas-emblazoned fields spread across Richland College, a vividly nondescript collegiate setting nestled into a random, suburban patch of Dallas.

The largest spectator structure at Richland College, where Fulham met Coritiba, could seat maybe 200-300 spectators. Maybe.

Thus was the setting when Coritiba blew past a disappointingly flat Fulham squad 3-0, ending the English club's dreams of a repeat with incisive passing, a fire-at-will mindset and occasional outbursts of Portugese cursing. Some of it was skill, some of it was luck, and some of it was wind.

The wind came first.

Winds of Change

One of the first things people tell me they notice when they drive through Pennsylvania for the first time are the mountains and hills. Aged, cracked roads dotted with pot holes and signage intersected by myriad rivers, all struggling for space in the midst of the Allegheny Mountains' jolting topography and plentiful trees.

It's stark to those newly introduced to the area. It's cramped, and space isn't plentiful. It must be carved out.

It's a far cry from other places in the U.S. like, say, Dallas.

Conversely, one of the first things I notice each time I land deep in the heart of Texas is how damn flat it is. And the number of new churches. But it's mostly the flatness.

All of those hills? Not there. Nor the foliage. It's all really flat, mostly brown, and roads typically aren't at the mercy of the Earth. Straight, logical, unbroken, fresh, and easy to drive really fast on.

The lack of land obtrusion leads to another phenomena my home state isn't at the constant mercy of – bastard gusts of wind. They're frequent and can last for minutes at a time.

Even standing in the middle of a warm, sun-drenched landscape, as was on display at Richland College right before kickoff, provides no protection. A gust can suddenly hit, sending a prolonged chill up your spine. Because the wind doesn't end in a reasonable amount of time, the chill has time to go back down again for the hell of it. And then back up.

These gusts, rampant and frequent, were the first and definitely not the last thing Coritiba made use of to exploit the Fulham back line.

Let me take a step back first and dig a little into what Fulham didn't give its opposition.

The Londoners were well-organized, and especially firm in midfield. Though the official website described the Cottagers as lining up in a 4-3-3, it seemed to operate more like a 4-5-1 in action, or at the very least a defensive 4-3-3. The wings did spend a lot of time out wide on their own, but midfield was packed tightly in center and outside support was readily available when the ball was lost.

When a Fulham player gained possession, a teammate usually did well to show a safe passing option. Combinations across the field were orchestrated with precision. The defensive line was high, backs were on-hand for support. It wasn't a BAD shape and the squad – outside of the back line – showed impressive technical ability on the ball.

But that high line eventually showed cracks.

Both sides shared possession pretty evenly early on, few clear cut chances were had. Then Coritiba's goalkeeper appeared to suddenly realize a massive wind was at his back and started to unload booming kicks from his box that consistently landed in the vicinity of Fulham goalkeeper Marek Rodak's box.

With the Cottagers deploying a pretty high line, Liam Donnelly and Cameron Burgess in central defense began to get exploited by opposition strikers in foot races. It was a quickly noticeable trend. Why breakdown a tight midfield when you can go over it? Blitzkreig football.

Eventually one of these chances led to a corner. The in-swinger flew near-post with perfect height and impressive velocity. With a snap of the head, the 93rd incarnation of Juninho directed it in and the Coxa was (were? Was? I'm at a loss) up. Unstoppable chance.

The first-half punts continued from Coritiba, Fulham couldn't generate half the distance from its own goal kicks. Like I said, bastard wind. That was the difference at first.

Incisive Play

On the ground there were issues too, and this may begin to sound culturally stereotypical, but here it goes: Coritiba wanted to score goals, Fulham didn't want to lose the ball. Flair met precision. Flair won.

Did Coritiba look better in passing technically? No, not really. But they took far more chances when they had possession. Their runs were livlier, their passes more ambitious. Fulham's were safe. While the Whites advanced in inches, Coritiba moved in meters.

In the second half, the imbalance of play became pronounced. This onlooker, along with a newly-made friend that also wandered to the game alone for the love of youth soccer and sunshine, agreed that the wind being at Fulham's back could give it a similar advantage to what Coritiba had enjoyed in the opening frame.

It didn't.

Fulham hadn't been played off the field at that point. It was maybe a slight advantage to Coritiba in terms of the score and flow, but neither side found an edge beyond punts and gusts initially.

But freed by its lead or sensing weakness or for some other half-guessed-at reasoning, Coritiba became more bold as the match progressed. Attacking movements appeared with increasing frequency from the Brazilians, while Fulham's attack looked listless.

Occasionally, a Coritiban attacker would sky a chance from outside of the box and be met with derision from EVERY OTHER TEAMMATE ON THE FIELD. Just a chorus of hand-gestures and what I'm assuming by tone were Portuguese curse words and/or clear indications of displeasure.

I'd never heard a thing like it. Typical on-field chatter as players called for the ball and shouted discussions, normal noise level, a missed shot, and then a sudden barrage of verbal critique.

But, really, the Coxa players must've sensed the game was there for the taking and that the chances generated weren't up to snuff.

Some bad defensive passing led to one of what seemed to be an alarmingly high number of unforced turnovers from the Fulham back line being intercepted by Coritiba. The counter was on, bingo-bango 2-0.

Fulham decided to press. It was an interesting decision because it led to chances. Actual shots were taken lending one to imagine the Whites may manage to score. It left one to wander what might've been had the boys not been so vested in neutrality.

The Fulham line pressed higher. Another turnover, another counter and, with seeming inevitability, another clean chance came to the Coxa in the box. Rodak, who really did impress throughout, had no chance. Again. 3-0 and it was academic from there.

A pair of goals around the 80th minute put Fulham in its place: out of the tournament.

The end of things

It wasn't too disappointing – you don't get quite the demanding thirst for results when you're watching youth players have at it. You enjoy things like technique and vision at an advanced level for a player's age. I cover a lot of high school soccer in Western Pennsylvania, so it was a treat to be able to see hand-picked athletes of a similar age weave together intricate movements and passes.

You run into several Aha! moments about vision and speed – not actual pace, but the pace at which a player can make a correct decision. The big change between a player simply being physically advanced and mentally advanced.

In a purely personal sense, I got to see a Fulham squad in action for the first time, for better or worse. Mostly for the better. A lower-end personal goal achieved.

But the game was at least mildly disappointing in the sense that the result didn't seem to match what the squad was likely capable of.

It feels like attitude was the flaw. Maybe some missing positivity or a desire to create offense. But that's reactionary.

It could just as easily, perhaps more aptly, be blamed on tactics. It's hard to imagine a team could prove so adept at supporting each other and passing with technical ability and fail to ask almost any questions of the opposition's defense for about 75 minutes.

Blame it on Moussa Dembele, the lone forward? Maybe. Expectations were a bit higher for him, but I'd misidentified him as playing on the wing earlier. I left thinking he'd put in a fine shift, but apparently my praise should've been directed at Ange-Freddy Plumain.

Not only is he hard to pick out of the Moussa Dembeles of the world, but apparently he's just as difficult to pick out in a crowd.

After the end of things

When the 90th minute hit, the clearly-dejected Fulham squad began wandering over towards its bench. The now likely-identified Dembele's shirt went up and over his head in disgust.

As I wandered away from the bleachers, I passed the players still on the field. They sat in a circle while getting an earful –clearly without anger, mind you – from the coaching staff as Anderlecht readied for play in the foreground.

They were very young professional footballers for Fulham, but it wasn't what you imagine a professional moment as. It was clearly a teaching moment. Can you imagine Felix Magath encircling Scott Parker, Giorgos Karagounis and company for a post-game lesson?

That feeling was never far away. The crowd was there to enjoy soccer, and they were able to. A handful of teens dressed in Brazillian gear had a grand time, a cadre of red Fulham track jackets to my left appeared to be a mix of players' parents and technical staff. Their time wasn't so grand.

Everyone else really just wanted to enjoy a soccer game. They were able to. So was I.

Most importantly, with the game over, I was able to get in my car and get the hell out of the wind.

Bullet points

It was hard to identify a number of players specifically, as there were no names on any jerseys, but I was able to discern a few with some certainty. Here's the positives. The negatives are now lost in space, time, and the generalizations of the above rambling prose:

Emerson Hyndman was notable for playing a quick, smart game and for clearly being the smallest player on the field. His touches were decisive and he rarely seemed to make a wrong step in possession. Set pieces were a different story, but he was good. My new friend pointed him out early, I caught on and agreed after a few minutes of watching him.

Maybe it isn't so surprising he felt comfortable playing in his hometown, where his grandfather coached locally for over two decades at Southern Methodist University and, later, had a good spell at FC Dallas.
Soloman Sambou wasn't perfect, but he was the most physically impressive player on the field. The physique is very mature. That's all solely from the eye test – he looks the role of a defensive midfielder. For the most part, he played it well too.

Plumain was the most dangerous Fulham player on the ball, namely on the dribble. But he couldn't generate much in the way of chances once he found a seam. That's generally wasn't on him, however.

As mentioned, I had misidentified him to the other lonely, random spectator as Dembele, but looking at the lineup, it appears that it was him isolated on the wing.
Rodak was good. In the second half, despite the score line, he was very, very good. Distribution? He wasn't able to take advantage of the elements in the way that his counterpart did, but on pure shot-stopping merit he was excellent.

Lasse Christensen seemed to be the lone player eager to join into attacking movements, but I can't remember him getting on the end of, or creating, much when he did show up.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/04/25/youth-cups-and-young-manhood-by-stephen-catanese/?

WhiteJC

It's Win Or Bust For Fulham As Hull Head South

FULHAM v HULL CITY 15:00, Craven Cottage

Without doubt this game holds far more significance for Fulham due to their precarious league position. The Cottagers are currently two points behind 17th placed Norwich City and could move out of the relegation zone if results go their way this weekend. Hull on the other hand are six points clear of the drop zone and victory over Fulham would effectively secure their safety.

Fulham have improved under Felix Magath and will have pin-pointed this as a must-win game if they are to stay up. The West London side have won three of their last six matches, including two of the last three at Craven Cottage, and will be confident against a Hull side who will have one eye on the FA Cup Final.

Fulham have taken nine points from their last six Premier League games after collecting two from their previous nine. After this match they travel to Stoke before their final match at home to Crystal Palace, and you would expect Magath will be aiming for at least two victories from these final three fixtures. If Fulham do not draw any of their last three games they will equal the Premier League record for fewest draws in a single season - three set by Chelsea in 1997-98.

Hull are in a much more comfortable position than Fulham and a single point from their final four fixtures could be all they need to survive. However, Steve Bruce will want Premier League status secured long before the FA Cup Final against Arsenal, especially with their final three fixtures away at Villa and Manchester United before a final home match with Everton.

The Tigers will take confidence from their 6-0 thrashing of Fulham back in December, although this will be a far different and tighter affair, but Hull have won four of their five previous Premier League meetings with Fulham.

What to watch out for: Fulham have conceded more corners than any other team this season, a total of 241.

Possible line-ups:

Fulham – Stockdale, Reither, Hangeland, Heitinga, Amorebieta, Kasami, Sidwell, Parker, Diarra, Richardson, Rodallega

Hull – McGregor, Elmohamady, Bruce, Davies, Chester, Rosenior, Huddlestone, Livermore, Meyler, Jelavic, Long

Recent Form: Fulham: WLLWWL; Hull: LWLLWL

Prediction: 1-0

http://www.footymatters.com/articles/english-football/premier-league/premier-league-preview/its-win-or-bust-for-fulham-as-hull-head-south/?

WhiteJC

Mitroglou - Hero Potential!

Heavens above, are we about to witness something that has been a rarity since January?

Newspaper talk suggests that our £11 million striker Kostas Mitroglou could put in an appearance against Hull City.

In a fixture that has got MUST WIN written all over it, it`s believed that Mitroglou, who has only been on the pitch for a total of 121 minutes since arriving at Craven Cottage from Olympiakos, will be playing a part having shaken off the niggling injuries that have affected him since he joined our merry band of relegation fighters.

If that is the case the fixture against Hull, one I re-iterate we must win if we are to stave off the threat of relegation, provides the perfect platform for the 26 year-old to achieve hero worship status if he can get the goals that will see Fulham take all three points off of the FA Cup finalists!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=357108#ixzz2zubYXN2P