watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mitroglou is back again!

Started by Mitroglou, April 24, 2014, 10:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denver Fulham

Nose, why do you seem 100% certain the blame lies with Mitroglou and Olympiakos?

Fulham could have bought other strikers in January. Fulham gave Mitroglou a medical prior to purchase. Stories have come out that Fulham may have gone after Finnbogason right at the deadline, which was clearly after the Mitroglou process started and quite possibly initiated after his Thursday AM medical.

It's also possible that West Ham's interest subsided after they learned the extent of his knee problem. It was nice for the media to spin it that Mitro chose Fulham over West Ham, but that might not be true. It may have been a marriage of convenience and risk/reward for both sides.

While it's nice to believe as a fan that our club got rooked by a player/agent/Greek club eager to con them, the reality is probably much more boring and centered on our own club's poor process. And that totally ignores the fact that he apparently was re-injured in training in March, and this isn't an extension of the initial problem (unless that problem caused this problem, but who knows).

TheManOnTheBus

You don't buy a car without looking under the hood. We knew perfectly what the injury situation was: either it got worst (unexpectedly) or something happened in training. But this is hardly the player's fault - just one of those things most likely.

PokerMatt

Absolutely ridiculous that someone is claiming he knew he wouldn't play this season. The two options are apparently that he hid an injury or he's lying about it now. I'll say it again: ridiculous.

Firstly even if he wanted to hide a season-ending injury he wouldn't have passed a medical - especially ours.

And for the second case of lying about it now so he can play in the world cup? Why on earth would playing now harm his WC chances and, again, we're a Premier League club so his injury will constantly be being checked and it is their call, not his whether he plays.

Bloody hell there's some emotions being put ahead of sense in this thread.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Martinsback

The two possibilities in regards to this situation are:

1) He hasn't actually signed for us and has in fact won a competition to watch Premier League football with four mates with accommodation and expenses thrown in. Plus he has been give £10000 to spend.

2) he has lost his nerve and shys away from football pitches. The solution is to either use blinkers or a bag over his head and take it off when he is in the centre circle just before the off. I just hope he won't then career into Rodders and Sidwell and bring them down too...

Baszab

The simple FACT is that Mitroglou has just not been good enough to be considered for selection - whether because of injury or not - it's not his fault - it's the purchase that everyone is so fed up about, as we could have used £12m in investing in other players who could have had a profound effect on keeping us up - Magath has sensibly not selected him into the squad because he has watched him train for the last 8 weeks

Greek

I said from day one, as an Olympiakos fan -

Stupid deal for Olympiakos - we did not need the money. Disrupted us and gave a bad impression of our club selling such a big striker before our game with Man U.

Stupid deal for Fulham - under pressure of relegation - plucking an injured, unproven at premier league level striker, who thrives in a system where he is surrounded by flair players.

Stupid deal for mitroglou who is now left in limbo - in a foreign country where his value has collapsed.

Bad piece of business. However I do not blame Fulham for taking a shot. If he recovered from that injury he could have definitely helped. Just unlucky.

PokerMatt

Quote from: Greek on April 26, 2014, 05:56:08 PM
I said from day one, as an Olympiakos fan -

Stupid deal for Olympiakos - we did not need the money. Disrupted us and gave a bad impression of our club selling such a big striker before our game with Man U.

Stupid deal for Fulham - under pressure of relegation - plucking an injured, unproven at premier league level striker, who thrives in a system where he is surrounded by flair players.

Stupid deal for mitroglou who is now left in limbo - in a foreign country where his value has collapsed.

Bad piece of business. However I do not blame Fulham for taking a shot. If he recovered from that injury he could have definitely helped. Just unlucky.

I don't see how this can be a bad deal for Olympiakos. You should be laughing all the way to the bank at our incompetence.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Greek

We are owned by a billionaire. We have no debt. We didn't need to sell. I am not 100% sure if he had stayed in Greece he would have done in his knee and we probably could have used him. We were knocked out the domestic cup and CL because we ran out of strikers and attacking players. Saviola - injured, Weiss sld, Mitroglou sold, Scepovic injured, Olaitan - injured (heart attack) etc

Macedo

Actually he scores a hat-trick at Stoke and then against Palace.
And then my alarm clock went off..

nose

Quote from: Denver Fulham on April 26, 2014, 01:51:46 AM
Nose, why do you seem 100% certain the blame lies with Mitroglou and Olympiakos?

Fulham could have bought other strikers in January. Fulham gave Mitroglou a medical prior to purchase. Stories have come out that Fulham may have gone after Finnbogason right at the deadline, which was clearly after the Mitroglou process started and quite possibly initiated after his Thursday AM medical.

It's also possible that West Ham's interest subsided after they learned the extent of his knee problem. It was nice for the media to spin it that Mitro chose Fulham over West Ham, but that might not be true. It may have been a marriage of convenience and risk/reward for both sides.

While it's nice to believe as a fan that our club got rooked by a player/agent/Greek club eager to con them, the reality is probably much more boring and centered on our own club's poor process. And that totally ignores the fact that he apparently was re-injured in training in March, and this isn't an extension of the initial problem (unless that problem caused this problem, but who knows).

I was responding to a comment, IMO the fault lies almost with our end almost entirely. How could they not have spotted this player wasn't suitable and injured (and had been for some time so was bound to be a risk with or without medical). But integrity ( a word not used in modern football i am afraid) was not very great with kostas and olympiacos either). They knew he was crocked and they knew we needed a player to hit the ground running.

just my opinion of football management and players is extremely low as i am sure you can tell.

Logicalman

Quote from: nose on April 26, 2014, 06:22:04 PM
Quote from: Denver Fulham on April 26, 2014, 01:51:46 AM

I was responding to a comment, IMO the fault lies almost with our end almost entirely. How could they not have spotted this player wasn't suitable and injured (and had been for some time so was bound to be a risk with or without medical). But integrity ( a word not used in modern football i am afraid) was not very great with kostas and olympiacos either). They knew he was crocked and they knew we needed a player to hit the ground running.

just my opinion of football management and players is extremely low as i am sure you can tell.

Totally agree, but I'm so glad he managed to turn out for his National Team in his time with us, and perhaps he'll make a miraculous recovery in time for the WCF, who knows? Our management obviously don't!!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Nick Bateman

Why does Magath not play/risk a star striker in Mitroglou, yet risks/plays Diarra who is clearly unfit, and even throws on Darren Bent after 2 months of not kicking a ball???
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Mitroglou

Quote from: Nick Bateman on April 26, 2014, 07:25:57 PM
Why does Magath not play/risk a star striker in Mitroglou, yet risks/plays Diarra who is clearly unfit, and even throws on Darren Bent after 2 months of not kicking a ball???

Because your most expensive player, must look like he has recovered from his knee injury, so as to be called in the Mundial, hoping in the meantime to recover and be sold in a fair price after Brazil...

YankeeJim

It is entirely possible that Mitroglou reinjured himself in training. I don't blame him at all. Any player worth his salt wants to be on the pitch and always believes that he is good to go. Its clear to me that the Fulham medical team gave the go ahead. Maybe management made the final decision but in the end any blame has to fall on Fulham. They could have said no thanks but didn't. Blaming Mitroglou and disparaging his abilities is groundless and pointless. If the man comes good, we'll all sing his name. If not we can argue who was worse, Litman or Mitroglou. It'll give us something to do this off season.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Baszab

I know from inside knowledge that he did not injure himself - he's just useless

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Baszab on April 26, 2014, 10:57:21 PM
I know from inside knowledge that he did not injure himself - he's just useless

That's a pretty damning anonymous accusation about a player who has scored at the high UCL and high-pressure international level.

YankeeJim

I have it from inside knowledge that I've got a fresh pack of ale and am leaving these negative shores to get my mojo back after LuvBite missed that last header.
Denver Fulham, never be logical on these threads. Take that as inside knowledge.  :Get Coat gif:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Lighthouse

Yep - We cannot take free kicks. We cannot take corners. We cannot defend corners or free kicks.

Our 12 million pound joke wouldn't change that anyway.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope