Started by HatterDon, April 27, 2014, 04:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil D

Quote from: KCat on April 27, 2014, 12:28:02 PM
Quote from: Neil D on April 27, 2014, 12:21:22 PM
Quote from: nose on April 27, 2014, 10:14:00 AM

in our hearst we all know we are where we are because of a multitude of errors
Is that a typo for 'hearse'?

Nose typed Hearts,  as in: In our hearts .................................perhaps your handle should be AleckS......
as in   
www.thefreedictionary.com/smart+aleck‎
I'm well aware of what he or she intended to write.  The comment was meant to be mildly ironic but clearly wasted on you.

Burt

I'm not blaming anyone really.

We had the chances to put the game beyond them when we were already two up.

But to be honest unlike the Great Escape team we have been poor all season and not shown the fight, desire, urgency and spirit to do anything about it.

I was so disappointed after the first 45mins yesterday as I so wanted to see us flying out of the traps and giving them a real hammering. All we got was tepid, half-baked footy. You wouldn't have got that at this stage of the season from a side with Murphy, McBride, Bullard, etc. etc.

If we go down then we will have deserved it. My only surprise is that we are still in with a shout, so there are teams equally as crap as us and not able to pull themselves out of the mire.

As long as there is a chance, then I will continue to hope...

COYW

PokerMatt

Quote from: Neil D on April 27, 2014, 12:24:30 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on April 27, 2014, 11:17:25 AM
Riether in particular. He either attempts the block and gets incredibly unlucky where it ends up or he leaves the ball and gets slated for not trying.
It might have helped if he had tried to clear it with the correct foot in that situation - his left.

Seriously? He's right-footed, and his right foot was closer, so he went for it with his right foot.

But no, let's microanalyse what was a freak incident.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Neil D

Quote from: PokerMatt on April 27, 2014, 02:01:55 PM
Riether in particular. He either attempts the block and gets incredibly unlucky where it ends up or he leaves the ball and gets slated for not trying.
It might have helped if he had tried to clear it with the correct foot in that situation - his left.

Seriously? He's right-footed, and his right foot was closer, so he went for it with his right foot.

I know he's right footed but the direction of the pass really required Reither to cut it out with his left because it would have given him more control over where it went.  Modern professionals really ought to be able to use both feet confidently.

PokerMatt

Quote from: Neil D on April 27, 2014, 02:09:45 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on April 27, 2014, 02:01:55 PM

I know he's right footed but the direction of the pass really required Reither to cut it out with his left because it would have given him more control over where it went.  Modern professionals really ought to be able to use both feet confidently.

A lot can, but they're the type of player who are at much bigger clubs than Fulham.

I saw it as a last-ditch attempt to win the ball. No blame on him. Blame Hangeland for not picking up Jelavic after, or the midfield for not closing down the pass, but not the player who did what he could to try to cut it out.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Lighthouse

Quote from: HatterDon on April 27, 2014, 04:53:56 AM
Once again today -- as in every match where we've dropped points -- folks race home from the pub or the ground to get on FofF or Facebook and blame everything on the player they've disliked since he signed.

So far today it's been Rodallega, Riether, Parker, Diarra, Riise, Hangeland, Amorebieta, and Bent who were solely responsible for us dropping two points.

I hate to lose as much as the next guy, but Jesus, must we use EVERY opportunity to punish our own personal whipping boy?

My personal whipping boy is life and everything in it. So I tend to be right more often than I am wrong. However the opposite argument to the point you make is - Should we take every opportunity to PRAISE players when things go right. Great save or good goal. No they are paid to do those things. For every whipping boy there is a player we just over praise.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

nose

Quote from: Neil D on April 27, 2014, 12:21:22 PM
Quote from: nose on April 27, 2014, 10:14:00 AM

in our hearst we all know we are where we are because of a multitude of errors
Is that a typo for 'hearse'?

well it was supposed to say hearts... but on reflection hearse would be equally (in a poetic sense) applicable

Logicalman

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 27, 2014, 02:20:50 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on April 27, 2014, 04:53:56 AM
Once again today -- as in every match where we've dropped points -- folks race home from the pub or the ground to get on FofF or Facebook and blame everything on the player they've disliked since he signed.

So far today it's been Rodallega, Riether, Parker, Diarra, Riise, Hangeland, Amorebieta, and Bent who were solely responsible for us dropping two points.

I hate to lose as much as the next guy, but Jesus, must we use EVERY opportunity to punish our own personal whipping boy?

My personal whipping boy is life and everything in it. So I tend to be right more often than I am wrong. However the opposite argument to the point you make is - Should we take every opportunity to PRAISE players when things go right. Great save or good goal. No they are paid to do those things. For every whipping boy there is a player we just over praise.

Ah, there we must disagree old chap. We should praise players for doing their job well, irrespective that it is their job. I do my work for my company and my project team, and if I do a good job, they like to let me know, bit conversely, that also provides them the right to tell me when I perform poorly.

Therefore, I feel fans have the right to both praise and criticize footballers for their club. Hounding members who wish to express those views is wrong in itself, as long as those views hold some respect for the player, and are aimed solely at their playing skills or performance.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

RidgeRider

The overall spirit of our team has been broken, thanks to the under investment by MAF, the utter destruction of any sense of organization by Martin Jol and some very questionable decisions in hiring managers and players by our CEO.

How can players feel confident when they see incompetence from top to bottom in areas of the club they have no control over?

We are indeed playing better under Magath, but it's too late to turn this Titanic around.

I personally don't blame the players, so I see no reason to slate the players when everything else around them is Championship level management and ownership. Every player makes mistakes, every player has good and poor form and every player has matches where they are not at their best......that is human nature also.

Scrumpy

Quote from: RidgeRider on April 27, 2014, 02:39:36 PM
The overall spirit of our team has been broken, thanks to the under investment by MAF, the utter destruction of any sense of organization by Martin Jol and some very questionable decisions in hiring managers and players by our CEO.

How can players feel confident when they see incompetence from top to bottom in areas of the club they have no control over?

We are indeed playing better under Magath, but it's too late to turn this Titanic around.

I personally don't blame the players, so I see no reason to slate the players when everything else around them is Championship level management and ownership. Every player makes mistakes, every player has good and poor form and every player has matches where they are not at their best......that is human nature also.
0001.jpeg
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

St Eve

It's a forum and we have a right to express our views. We are all frustrated and disappointed and clearly we are not in this mess because of 1 player, 1 manager or 1 game. However, yesterday's result, in my humble opinion, was the fault of Felix

Lighthouse

If players and fans accept the praise then they have to accept the sometimes illogical hate and criticism thrown at them by us stupid fans. I prefer that than the rather smug attitude of a few who believe we are too stupid to have an opinion other than believing we are a small club who don't deserve better.

As for blaming our new manager. He clealry believes we have a team who can only play for 45 minutes. Everything went to plan until it didn't. Although having two subs and keeping Sidders on for the second half was a puzzle at the time. But with just two games left, is it too much to ask for us to go for it? Let us go down fighting and not being careful for half the match in the hope the opposition are lulled into being as dopey as we are.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope