News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why has Sidwell STILL not been given a new contract???

Started by Nick Bateman, May 06, 2014, 02:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodger53

Sidwell like a few of the others are at the end of their PL career and would lile a few years in the championship to pump up their pensions - if we got to the play offs they would blow it - you see it every year. GET RID OF THEM - We want players that are hungry for success not this bunch of past it losers.

epsomraver

Quote from: Riverside on May 06, 2014, 04:21:19 PM
Sad to see the consistent Sidwell abuse .
Across the entire season he is in my humble opinion the player of the season .
Now we could focus on what that means about the other 38 ( I think , though I have lost count ) players we have used this season .

0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg

RaySmith

Quote from: Nick Bateman on May 06, 2014, 02:18:11 PM
The board, or that IDIOT Ali Mack who single-handedly relegated Fulham, is looking to further damage our chances of returning by holding out on a new contract for Steve Sidwell, despite having a tremendous season.

It was printed in today's Daily Express  http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/474178/Steve-Sidwell-hits-out-at-Fulham-collapse

Sidwell was clearly our best player and also was our top goalscorer, quite an achievement being a midfield player.  At 31 he is no spring chicken, but he is not old.  In fact, in all the clubs he has played for before, Chelsea, Aston Villa, etc, I have NEVER seen him play as good.

Sidwell merely wants a 2 year deal.  That was the sticking point for other good players we have lost before, like Mark Schwarzer and Danny Murphy - the club's short-sightedness and extreme ageism interfered with basic reasoning.  Despite seeing the value and quality of the individual, the board looked at the fellow's birth date and decided a short term contract was all they could offer.

There is no greater risk at 31 than at 25, so I do not see why the board are reticent to signing a new deal with El Sid.

It would also be a major lift for the fans to see one of the few players who showed their commitment to the club, be rewarded for his valiant efforts.
0001.jpeg

supersimmo123

HatterDon

The short answer to the question posed in the subject line is this: He only announced 3 days ago that he was interested in a new contract. I think that's a bit quick to react, don't you?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Arthur

Quote from: Alan_C on May 06, 2014, 06:38:03 PM
When we won promotion to the premier league with Tigana, Sidwell would not have made the team.

A point worth bearing in mind.

Typically (and paradoxically), the less possession we have, the better Sidwell looks. In a season such as ours in a league such as this, his qualities have never been more evident. With most opposing teams enjoying the lion's share of possession, Sidwell's determination, attitude and energy have frequently stood out.

To challenge at the upper end of the Championship, however, will almost certainly demand that we generally see more of the ball than our opponents. In such circumstances, Sidwell's weaknesses will be exposed more often. When a midfield player is more likely to score a goal than make a telling pass, something is amiss. And that something, of course, is his technique.

As has been stated, Sidwell would not have made the starting XI last time we were in the Championship. Compared to the technical ability of Clark, Collins, Fernandes, Davis and Goldbaek, our current midfielder has little in common. For sure, not all the aforementioned could match his work ethic, but I'm of the opinion that, if we are to secure a return to the PL, we require our midfield players to possess a greater degree of skill than Sidwell can provide.

Mhbruce

Sorry if someone has said anything similar but when I met him outside the ground yesterday I asked him if he was gonna say and he said he hoped to, so make of that what you will

Whitesideup

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 06, 2014, 05:52:59 PM
Sidwell has had a decent season despite our new friends histrionics. Is he a top midfielder? No. Does he bring a lot to a team? Yes. One of the promoted sides (Reading?) or even  one of the mid table squads will snap him up. For me, I wish someone would take Parker and leave Sidwell with us.
Absolutely. Agree 100%.

crazycottager

Cut sidwell some slack. he hasn't been our best player [That goes to Richardson], but he has been very dedicated and battled hard for the club. he certainly had more fire than other players we've seen [Berbatov, parker, Dempsey mk.2]

St Eve

Nice guys, try hard, battle, dedicated - all good qualities, but not good enough for to get us back to the premiership

FFC1987

I haven't seen any abuse towards Sidwell on here. A standard tactic to detract from the argument at hand. I think the best comment i've seen is 'had Sidwell been playing for Utd....' thats quite the comment. I'll let you hazard a guess as to why he was in a relegation team and not a top half table team.

I like Sidwell and he done us a service this year. Regardless, we were relegated and he played his part in that too. If he stays, I hope he keeps it up. If he goes, i'll wish him all the best. Right now, I'm not sure if i'd be that fussed either way.

Nero

Quote from: FFC1987 on May 07, 2014, 08:49:14 AM
I haven't seen any abuse towards Sidwell on here. A standard tactic to detract from the argument at hand. I think the best comment i've seen is 'had Sidwell been playing for Utd....' thats quite the comment. I'll let you hazard a guess as to why he was in a relegation team and not a top half table team.

I like Sidwell and he done us a service this year. Regardless, we were relegated and he played his part in that too. If he stays, I hope he keeps it up. If he goes, i'll wish him all the best. Right now, I'm not sure if i'd be that fussed either way.

yes that comment made me laugh about utd, I think the real problem here is that he has been our best player and there is what is wrong with the team. To be fair even though his chances where limited Karagournis has played better when hes played lets give him another 2 years

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Whiteroom on May 06, 2014, 04:26:53 PM
Quote from: ffcbrighton on May 06, 2014, 03:30:36 PM
You are unbelievably deluded if you think Sidwell has had a 'tremendous' season. Are you f***ing blind.

Yes he's our top scorer but that is saying NOTHING. You clearly do not go to games. I'm literally angered at how stupid this thread is.

His general play and distribution of the ball is TERRIBLE.

Richardson has been our best player this season.

I've been to 33 out of the 37 league games too before you say I'm not in a position to comment...

Very disrespectful, and poorly thought out answer. Sidwell has been great this season, and full deserves another contract. He would be brilliant for us in the C'ship. If the number of live games you've been to in the season is what determined the validity of your opinion then I think I trump you with 34. So There!
Yes, I agree he would be just what we need in the Championship but on championship wages. We are unlikely to shift Parker because of his wages so we have to move one of them on, playing and paying both that level of wages for the next 2 years makes no sense either from a footballing or economic standpoint.