watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (06.06.10)

Started by White Noise, June 05, 2010, 10:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Roy-Hodgson-saved-Inter-Milan-and-the-Fulham-boss-is-the-perfect-man-to-turn-Liverpool-around-says-Massimo-Moratti-article448745.html

Hodgson has the 'qualities' to ease Anfield troubles

Published 23:00 04/06/10

By David Maddock

Massimo Moratti became president at Inter in 1995 after a decade of turmoil in which the Italian club went close to meltdown, surviving relegation by a ­solitary point.

One month into the new season Inter were bottom of the table, and Moratti took drastic action by sacking Luis Suarez as manager and turning to Hodgson.

The Englishman had an immediate impact, dragging them up the table to clinch a place in Europe. The following season, he led Inter to a UEFA Cup final and third place in Serie A.

"Roy Hodgson was an ­important person in the ­development of Inter Milan to the point we have reached today," said Moratti. "He saved us at the right time.

"When he came we were in trouble, and things appeared dark. He didn't panic, he was calm and made us calm

"Disaster was averted at the most important time. Everyone at Inter will remember him for that and his contribution. He is considered by us all as an important person in our history. He left an endowment to this club that's important in our history."

Hodgson worked on a limited budget and initially had few of the star names synonymous with the present-day club – his biggest player was Paul Ince. But he unified a previously fractured squad, and created one of the most fondly ­remembered sides of that decade.

Moratti believes that if ­Liverpool want a man to calm troubled waters and bring stability to Anfield, the Fulham boss is ideal.

Hodgson had a second spell at Inter as caretaker boss after his sacking by ­Blackburn in 1998.

"Roy has experience," Moratti said. "He came back to us to help us when we needed someone to step in and calm things down as a stand-in manager.

"If Liverpool or any club need someone with authority and with a fine reputation people will look up to, players and fans alike, he's a perfect candidate.

"We still see him, he is part of our family, and always welcome at our club. I've been asked about his qualities, and I'd say he has many, most importantly of all he has qualities as a man."

Hodgson's career has ­primarily been spent on the Continent, and many people in England are unaware of his achievements following his disappointing time at Blackburn.

Only in the past year, after he steered Fulham to the Europa League final, has he come to prominence in the Premier League, but in Europe he is regarded as one of the best tacticians in the game.

Fulham fans are in no doubt as to his ability, as one showed with a banner at the Europa final in Hamburg (below left).

Hodgson took Malmo to five consecutive Swedish titles, turned Inter around, claimed notable scalps consistently in European competition, and under him Switzerland reached a world ranking of three by out-qualifying eventual ­finalists Italy for the 1994 World Cup.

But it is his reputation for being a statesman who can handle a crisis that makes him an ideal candidate, given the unrest at Anfield. He has a proven ability to work with players and create harmony.

Hodgson has remained quiet about Liverpool's interest in recent days, but the 62-year-old is thought to be interested in one last challenge.

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-king-maker-Kenny-Dalglish-will-speak-to-Roy-Hodgson-and-Louis-van-Gaal-about-replacing-Rafa-Benitez-article448869.html

Liverpool to approach van Gaal and Hodgson for manager's job

Published 23:00 04/06/10

By David Maddock and Neil McLeman

* (17)

Roy Hodgson and Louis van Gaal will be the first two managers to be approached by Liverpool king-maker Kenny Dalglish.

A meeting at Anfield yesterday between the Reds' legend and managing director Christian Purslow has outlined a shortlist of potential ­candidates to replace Rafa Benitez.

And the overwhelming front-runners on that list are Fulham boss Hodgson and Champions League finalist van Gaal, who enjoyed a successful campaign with Bayern Munich this season.

Dalglish will make discreet approaches to both men and then put together a package to tempt one of them to Anfield.

The Liverpool board feel there is no need to rush, given that the World Cup will ­dominate the next month and few players will be ­available until after the ­tournament.

But Dalglish and Purslow have decided that Hodgson and van Gaal have the perfect qualities to take the club forward after a poor season.

Fulham would mount a fight to stop Hodgson moving to Anfield. He was rewarded with a new rolling contract earlier this season which would cost Liverpool about £2.5million in compensation.

Hodgson's wife Sheila is from Liverpool and the couple enjoyed living in the north-west while he was boss of Blackburn.

White Noise

Wenger, with about £30m to spend plus whatever comes in from Fabregas, is likely to pursue Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, ending Manuel Almunia's career as Arsenal No 1.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1284309/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-beat-Manchester-City-race-Chelsea-midfielder-Joe-Cole.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0q1DAWZf2

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/7805865/Tom-Hicks-and-George-Gillett-are-impeding-the-fresh-start-Liverpool-badly-needs.html

Tom Hicks and George Gillett are impeding the 'fresh start' Liverpool badly needs

Even before the paperwork had been signed, the mobile phones of a number of senior figures at Liverpool had started to trill.

By Rory Smith

Published: 11:00PM BST 05 Jun 2010

Tom Hicks and George Gillett are impeding the 'fresh start' Liverpool badly needs
In the way: there can be no fresh start for Liverpool while Tom Hicks and George Gillett (left) remain in situ at Anfield Photo: GETTY IMAGES

As lawyers at Anfield were agreeing the final details of the £6 million severance package which would end Rafael Benítez's six-year reign as manager, the vultures had started to circle.

Each call brought notification from the agent of another manager eager to throw his hat into the ring as a contender to succeed the Spaniard, each conversation designed to help each client gain a crucial advantage in the race for the most high-profile job likely to come on the domestic market this summer.

To those conducting the search – Christian Purslow, the club's managing director, and Kenny Dalglish, the Academy ambassador whose name still echoes from the Kop — such enthusiasm, such interest even before the die was cast is evidence that Liverpool remains the sort of job no ambitious, self-confident manager can turn down.

It is not hard to see why. Benítez lost his job because he guided the club to 19 defeats last season on their way to a seventh-place league finish.

They were eliminated from the Champions League at the group stage, knocked out of the FA Cup by Reading. The Spaniard is no tough act to follow.

In such circumstances, the breed of man who turns their hand to management will see only the tantalising prospect of glory. A manager who rebuilds Liverpool will see his reputation buffed, his prospects improved and his place in history at a club with a longer memory than most secured. To the victor, the spoils.

The outstanding favourite, of course, will not have instructed his agent to make such a phone-call. Roy Hodgson has no need to advertise his wares. His achievements — most recently at Fulham, but at various stages on his nomadic journey through the game — speak for themselves, as do his contacts.

He has already been spoken of inside Anfield as the sort of statesmanlike, reserved, respected figure who can return a club which has lost its path to the 'Liverpool Way', that undefinable set of values which once made it great.

His style is diametrically opposed to that of his predecessor, on and off the pitch, his taste for politicking absent, just what is required at a crucial, sensitive juncture in Liverpool's history.

Hodgson seems an ideal candidate to offer Liverpool the "fresh start" which Martin Broughton, the club's chairman, insisted was required in the statement which confirmed Benítez's exit.

Yet, regardless of who should follow in the Spaniard's footsteps, there can be no fresh start for the club while Tom Hicks and George Gillett remain in situ at Anfield.

There will be no end to the concerns of the Royal Bank of Scotland, increasingly frustrated with the Americans' apparent unrealistic asking price of an asset they have vowed to sell, and there will be no end to the concerns of the club's most valuable assets, the faces of its quest for worldwide monetisation that the £237 million debt the Americans have laden onto Liverpool precludes competing in the transfer market and thus on the pitch.

Whoever the new manager should be, Steven Gerrard, the new England captain, remains undecided on his future, while Fernando Torres, Yossi Benayoun and Javier Mascherano are similarly unsettled. They will decide whether they stick or twist not because of who is sitting in the dugout but because of how much money the new manager is granted to spend to bring in more players of their own class.

Should they leave, the club's supporters will watch with interest how much of the £130 million or so their sales may raise is pumped back into the squad.

It was that issue which proved particularly thorny in the discussions between Benítez and his board which convinced the club to offer him a severance deal. It may be that his insistence that he be granted all funds raised cost him a job he desperately hoped to retain.

There can be no guarantees, at this stage, that a new manager will be offered different rules of engagement to his predecessor.

Benítez's reign has already been written off in some quarters as an anticlimax — or worse — which endured for so long only by virtue of the lingering gratitude felt by supporters for the miracle of Istanbul.

Should there be no change in the root cause of Liverpool's decline, though, in two, five or 10 years' time, it may have started to look like the dying breaths of a golden age.

No manager, no matter how talented, will be able to reverse the decline which seems inexorable under the club's current ownership. Should Dalglish and Purslow, too, endure, they may find that when it comes to replace the replacement, their phones lie silent.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/837718/SCHWARZERS-GUNNERS-MOVE-IS-ON.html

SCHWARZER'S GUNNERS MOVE IS ON

Wenger wants experienced keeper

By Neil Ashton

MARK SCHWARZER'S £3m move to Arsenal is on after the keeper held talks with Fulham chief Roy Hodgson.

The Aussie keeper has been targeted by Arsene Wenger as a short-term solution to Arsenal's problems in goal.

Schwarzer, 37, has a year left on his contract with Fulham and is aware that Arsenal want him to replace Manuel Almunia.

The Fulham keeper was exceptional during the club's run to the Europa League final against Atletico Madrid.

Hodgson is reluctant to allow the keeper to leave Fulham, but does not want to stand in the way of a dream move.

Despite Hodgson's stance, Fulham are already actively looking for a potential replacement for Schwarzer.

The keeper has been one of the Premier League's most consistent players after moving to Bradford from Kaiserslautern in 1996.

He spent 11 years at Middlesbrough before moving on to Fulham two years ago and is regarded as one of the best keeeper's in English football.

Arsenal were monitoring his form towards the end of the domestic season and have been told to fork out £3m to sign him.

Wenger wants an experienced keeper next season, but is still convinced that Vito Mannone and Lukas Fabianski can make their mark.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/world_cup/835641/RAPPER-CAPELLO-MADE-EXAMPLE-OUT-OF-WALCOTT.html

RAPPER: CAPELLO MADE EXAMPLE OUT OF WALCOTT

Singer speaks about the World Cup, Roy Hodgson and his 'lacking' football skills

EXAMPLE: Exclusive interview

By Tom Barclay, 02/06/2010

BRITISH rapper Example has learnt to curb his enthusiasm when it comes to England's World Cup hopes after years of disappointment.

The 27-year-old singer, otherwise known as Elliot Gleave, is a keen football fan and spoke exclusively to the News of the World about his thoughts on this summer's tournament.

With numerous festival gigs including Glastonbury and an album coming out in the coming months, it's going to be a busy time for the Fulham-born musician, but he still cannot wait for football's biggest tournament to kick off.

TB: What do you make of England's chances?

E: I never get too hopeful. I think what we've learnt is that every time we do we're just left disappointed.

There seems to be not that much buzz or hype around this World Cup and people don't seem to be getting too carried away, which is probably a good thing.

It's not putting too much pressure on the players and also the fans can enjoy the World Cup and almost watch as a neutral until it gets to the England games.

Until we get to the quarters or the semis then we can start getting excited, but until we do, we shouldn't start sounding the horn.

I mean how many of our players would get into a World XI?

You could probably pick the World XI from Spain, Argentina and Brazil and then Gerrard and Rooney, albeit maybe on the bench.

Ashley Cole definitely as well - people may slate him but he's the best left-back in the world.

TB: So what's your prediction, then?

E: I'd say quarters definitely, but after that, who knows?

TB: What do you make of Theo Walcott's exclusion?

E: He was outstanding against Croatia but the people who should go on the plane are the people who've been proving themselves and he hasn't done that in the last six months.

He's one of those guys who can do nothing for two or three games and then you bring him on as sub and he scores a wonder goal, but really Capello can't take that chance - he needs guaranteed world beaters.

TB: Should Adam Johnson have made the squad?

E: It's probably a bit too early for Adam Johnson. He's a great player but he's come out of nowhere. He'll be at the next European Championships, I would have thought.

TB: If England aren't going to win it, who is?

E: If I had £100 to put on a team, I'd definitely put it on Spain.

I think they're the strongest team in every position and I think they've got the confidence having won the European Championships.

They have amazing cover - the fact that Fabregas won't start all their games is testament to that. Their defence is not only really good but really experienced and they have three of the best goalkeepers in the world.

I think you'd be an idiot to bet against them.

TB: Outside bet?

E: For an outside shock, I don't think you can ever look past Germany. They're never afraid - they just turn up to win.

I fancy one of the African nations as they're playing in the first World Cup on African soil.

TB: You seem to know a lot about football. Which players do you think might break through at the tournament?

E: From some of the smaller countries, I would think that Steven Pienaar would make an impact for South Africa. I've had him in my fantasy team all season and he's an amazing playmaker who gets a lot of assists.

The young player to watch is Gonzalo Higuain of Argentina - I wouldn't be surprised if he got the Golden Boot. He's been banging them in for Real Madrid this year.

TB: Being a Fulham fan you must be still buzzing after the season you've had.

E: We've probably had a more exciting season than any other English club. The highlight has to be Clint Dempsey's goal against Juventus. I actually met him at the training ground and he's a rapper as well - but definitely a better footballer than a rapper!

TB: And how about a word for your victorious manager Roy Hodgson?

E: I'd like him to stay another season to see what he can do next year. The main thing is that if he did leave to a Milan, or Juve, or England I'd be happy for him, but if he left for another English club I'd be quite upset.

It's hard to say if he'll stay but Fulham fans will wish him well if he does go as he's been brilliant for us. He's put us on the world stage.

TB: I hear you play a bit yourself.

E: I played in a celeb match for Sky One three years ago. I keep really fit and am usually one of the fittest guys on the pitch as I run about 40-50 miles a week and get to the gym a lot. In terms of skills, I'm pretty lacking.

TB: And finally, what's your most memorable moment in World Cup history?

E: Out of all the World Cups, it's Michael Owen's goal. I remember Gazza crying but I was only eight, so I think I remember it more from replays than TV.

One of my favourite goals ever has to be Dennis Bergkamp's goal against Argentina in 1998. I remember being in a pub and everyone in it went absolutely mental after he scored, as they were all supporting the Dutch after Argentina knocked us out.

For more information on Example and a list of UK tour dates go to -http://www.myspace.com/leadingbyexample / www.trythisforexample.com

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Arsenal-to-increase-their-interest-in-Schwarzer-article449715.html

Arsenal to increase their interest in Schwarzer

Published 23:00 05/06/10 By Paul Smith

With the deal to bring Joe Cole to Arsenal seemingly complete, Arsene Wenger is now planning to address the problem area of goal keeping at the Emirates.

Wenger is expected to step up his £4million chase for Fulham stopper Mark Schwarzer, who impressed during last seasons run to the Europa League Final.

The 37-year-old is in the final year of his contract and while he has tried to distance himself from it publicly, ­privately he has confided in friends he would find it difficult to turn down an approach from ­Arsenal.

HatterDon

Quote from: White Noise on June 05, 2010, 11:33:54 PM
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/837718/SCHWARZERS-GUNNERS-MOVE-IS-ON.html

SCHWARZER'S GUNNERS MOVE IS ON

Wenger wants experienced keeper

By Neil Ashton

MARK SCHWARZER'S £3m move to Arsenal is on after the keeper held talks with Fulham chief Roy Hodgson.

The Aussie keeper has been targeted by Arsene Wenger as a short-term solution to Arsenal's problems in goal.

Schwarzer, 37, has a year left on his contract with Fulham and is aware that Arsenal want him to replace Manuel Almunia.

The Fulham keeper was exceptional during the club's run to the Europa League final against Atletico Madrid.

Hodgson is reluctant to allow the keeper to leave Fulham, but does not want to stand in the way of a dream move.

Despite Hodgson's stance, Fulham are already actively looking for a potential replacement for Schwarzer.

The keeper has been one of the Premier League's most consistent players after moving to Bradford from Kaiserslautern in 1996.

He spent 11 years at Middlesbrough before moving on to Fulham two years ago and is regarded as one of the best keeeper's in English football.

Arsenal were monitoring his form towards the end of the domestic season and have been told to fork out £3m to sign him.

Wenger wants an experienced keeper next season, but is still convinced that Vito Mannone and Lukas Fabianski can make their mark.

Jeez the News of the People doesn't even try to hide the fact that they're making crap up. Tha Big Aussie is in South Africa trying to figure out the flight of the whiffle ball they're using in the tourney, and Roy and his missus are hiding out in some sort of rabbit warren in Wales [I trust Picayune more than the English sporting press in these matters].  When exactly was it that they held these talks.

what do I think of it so far?

R*U*B*B*I*S*H
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/138591/Moyes-Redknapp-and-Hughes-on-Rafa-Benitez-list/

MOYES, REDKNAPP AND HUGHES ON RAFA BENITEZ LIST

6th June 2010

By Paul Hetherington, Steve Millar and Tony StensonYour Shout ( 0 )

DAVID MOYES is the sensational name on Liverpool's managerial wish list – along with Spurs boss Harry Redknapp and Mark Hughes.

The Everton chief has a close relationship with Kenny Dalglish, who is leading the hunt for a successor to Rafa Benitez.

Dalglish himself, however, is also in the frame, along with Italy's Marcello Lippi – available after the World Cup.

But the job Moyes has done at Everton has impressed neighbours Liverpool. The Daily Star Sunday can reveal that Moyes is aware of his name being linked with Liverpool

But there would be huge complications involved in Moyes moving across Stanley Park and Liverpool realise it would be difficult to make an official approach. So other targets have been lined up, including Aston Villa's Martin O'Neill and Roy Hodgson at Fulham.

But Turkey boss Guus Hiddink last night ruled himself out of the race.

Hiddink's agent, Cees van Nieuwenhuizen, said: "Guus has shown over the years that he is loyal to agreements that he signed.

"Guus just started two weeks ago in Turkey and as much as he likes the Premier League and as much as he respects Liverpool as a legendary club with a great future ahead, a switch would be hardly do-able." Benitez, meanwhile, will succeed Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan.

That will delight Inter's Argentinian contingent of Walter Samuel, Javier Zanetti, Esteban Cambiasso and Diego Milito.

They had been campaigning for his appointment because their fellow countryman, Mauricio Pellegrino, will
come with Benitez from Anfield as assistant. It will be Dalglish's task, along with managing director Christian Purslow, to decide who replaces them. Dalglish met Purslow on Friday and will spend the next month sifting
through a list of managers which includes Redknapp, Hodgson, O'Neill and Hughes.

No formal approach has been made for any candidates yet – but the Fulham hierarchy would be quick to block any move for Hodgson.

He has a £2.5 million release clause in his 12-month rolling contract at Craven Cottage but the Europa League finalists would fi ght tooth and nail to keep him after revitalising the club last season.

Tottenham boss Redknapp would be honoured to be considered, even though he has done such a great job at White Hart Lane.

Redknapp will never forget the emotional day when son Jamie informed him he had just been appointed Liverpool captain.

Redknapp junior is understood to be helping Dalglish in his managerial quest. And he will obviously give a
glowing reference about his dad's capabilities. Dalglish and Redknapp Senior will be in opposite dugouts tonight at Old Trafford for a charity match.

Martin O'Neill is also on Liverpool's radar, along with Mark Hughes who would jump at the chance to get back into the game after being so brutally axed by Manchester City.

White Noise

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/179397/Liverpool-chief-plans-raid-to-lure-David-Moyes-

LIVERPOOL CHIEF PLANS RAID TO LURE DAVID MOYES 

Sunday June 6,2010

By Daily Express Reporter 

IN THE wake of Rafa Benitez's departure from Liverpool last week, the boss of bitter Mersey rivals Everton has emerged as a surprise target as replacement

David Moyes is the shock name on Liverpool's shortlist to replace the sacked Rafa Benitez.

Anfield managing director Christian Purslow who, together with Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish, has been entrusted with the responsibility of finding a new Kop boss, is a big admirer of Moyes' work in his eight years with neighbours Everton.

It is believed that Moyes is aware of Liverpool's interest as the red half of Merseyside attempt to pull off a coup which would stun football.

Moyes, though, is deeply loyal to Everton and has a good working relationship with chairman Bill Kenwright. Only a few weeks ago he told Sunday Express Sport that any new investors would be better choosing Everton than pumping money into Anfield.

Despite that, Moyes is still in Liverpool's thoughts as they attempt to resurrect their fortunes after a disastrous last season in Benitez's six-year reign.

The Spaniard was dismissed on Thursday but is expected to be named as Inter Milan's successor to Jose Mourinho this week. Hesitation saw Benitez miss out on the Juventus job but it is believed that he is now ready to say yes to Inter.

It is understood that owner Massimo Moratti has been influenced by lobbying from some of the team's Argentinian contingent, which includes Javier Zanetti, Walter Samuel and Diego Milito.

Fellow Argentinian Mauricio Pellegrino, Benitez's number two at Anfield, who will join him at the San Siro and is admired by the players, has been pushing his boss's case.

With Liverpool having to pay up to £6million to part company with Benitez, American co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks are reluctant to pay a big compensation package to land his successor. The exception would be Moyes.   

If they are unsuccessful in their audacious attempt to move the Scot across Stanley Park, Liverpool will move on to other targets, who include Fulham's Roy Hodgson, Aston Villa's Martin O'Neill and Marcello Lippi, the Italy manager. Lippi leaves his job after the World Cup and any approach wouldn't be restricted by compensation issues.

Many Anfield observers believe that Liverpool have the answer to their managerial problems within their own ranks in kingmaker Dalglish. He would bring back the old boot-room habits which served the club so well in their halcyon days of the sixties, seventies and eighties.

Close friends believe Dalglish, who resigned as Liverpool boss through stress 19 years ago, has unfinished business at Anfield and would love the challenge of replacing Benitez.

He has agreed to take charge until Liverpool find a new man but wouldn't say no to a tap on his own shoulder over a permanent stay.

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/buddle-hits-double-with-perfect-sense-of-timing-1992554.html

Buddle hits double with perfect sense of timing

United States 3 Australia 1

By John Curtis at Rooderpoort

Sunday, 6 June 2010

Edson Buddle staked his claim for a starting spot against England next Saturday with two goals for the United States in their victory over Australia. The Los Angeles Galaxy striker, who is the leading scorer in Major League Soccer this season, struck twice in the first half of an open and entertaining final tune-up before the World Cup.

They were 29-year-old Buddle's first goals at senior level for his country after a promising early career was severely affected by injury setbacks. With first-choice frontman Jozy Altidore sitting it out with a mild right ankle sprain, Buddle showed perfect timing in advancing his cause for a role in next weekend's Group C opener and Herculez Gomez, another back-up striker, showed his worth by coming off the bench to score the third in the 90th minute

The USA suggested they may pose a threat to England with Landon Donovan, who had a loan spell at Everton last season, a class act when drifting in from the right flank. But, in contrast, their defence continuallylooked shaky and was carved open on several occasions. On this evidence, England will prove difficult for them to deal with.

USA needed only four minutes to open the scoring through Buddle. He took advantage of slack defensive play before beating Mark Schwarzer with a powerful 15-yard drive. Robbie Findley should have doubled the USA's advantage after 15 minutes. He was put clear by Clint Dempsey's pass, took the ball past Schwarzer but shot wide of an open goal.

Australia equalised against the run of play after 19 minutes when off a hanging corner from Richard Garcia, Everton's Cahill struck from close range. Australia's Lucas Neill had a goalbound shot blocked and at the other end, Schwarzer parried an effort from his Fulham team-mate Dempsey. But the goalkeeper was unable to prevent the USA restoring their lead after 31 minutes when Buddle headed in Steve Cherundolo's cross.

There was certainly a competitive edge to the game. Dempsey and Australia's Craig Moore were booked after squaring up to each other and the Fulham man had the ball in the net early in the second half but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Australia dominated the second half but Gomez made the game safe for the USA in stoppage time when he tucked away Donovan's low cross.

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/californian-dreaming-of-being-englands-worst-nightmare-1992556.html

Californian dreaming of being England's worst nightmare

By Phil Shaw

Sunday, 6 June 2010

You can take the boy out of California. You can even relocate him to Merseyside in the middle of the harshest British winter in years. But you can't take the California out of Landon Donovan.

The 28-year-old midfielder from San Bernardino county is a disciple of a form of therapy established in the Golden State called Hellerwork, which combines "deep-tissue massage and self-awareness through dialogue". Donovan attributes much of his development as a player and a person to the understanding which the system – whose slogan is "healing the planet, one body at a time" – has given him of the inseparability of mind, body and spirit. That, and the highly productive 10 weeks he spent on loan from Los Angeles Galaxy to Everton last season.

Former Fulham defender Carlos Bocanegra will lead out the United States against England at Rustenburg next Saturday, but if Donovan is not shaking hands or shaking fists, he will be leading by example.

Approaching his third World Cup, he attributes his burgeoning authority in part to the 13- match "education" that he received in David Moyes' side, which ranged from seven Premier League starts to sampling the FA Cup and Europa League.

"It absolutely improved me," Donovan said of a spell that started at the deep end with a debut at Arsenal. "I learned a lot technically and tactically, and about how to keep myself motivated. It puts me in a stronger position for the World Cup. The biggest thing is having the confidence to play against anybody and fear no one. I've proved to myself that I can play against any player in the world, and that's pretty cool."

Among those he acquitted himself well against were Steven Gerrard, in a 1-0 defeat at Liverpool, and Frank Lampard, with Everton defeating Chelsea 2-1 during a 10-day period in which Donovan also helped them beat Manchester United. After his farewell game, a 5-1 rout of Hull City in which he scored his second goal, Goodison Park gave him the kind of ovation normally reserved for those who wore the No 9 shirt rather longer. "Forget about football for a moment," he said. "That was a life experience I'll never forget."

The task now is to come away from South Africa expressing similarly positive sentiments. Donovan performed impressively in the 2002 finals, scoring twice and helping the Americans match England by reaching the quarter-finals. Yet he fell below his own and his country's expectations in Germany four years ago. "I was someone completely unfamiliar to myself. I wasn't a very good person at that time."

He even uses the word "egotistical" to define the extent to which he was "not true to what I am". Between the last finals and the move to Everton, he underwent a divorce from actress Bianca Kajlich, courted controversy by criticising David Beckham's commitment to LA Galaxy (they kissed and made up) and failed to shine on loan to Bayern Munich.

Over the past 12 months, however, Donovan has looked himself again. After helping the US beat European champions Spain to reach the Confederations Cup final in Johannesburg, he scored against Brazil only to see a 2-0 lead turned into a 3-2 defeat. He also converted the free-kick against Honduras which booked their sixth consecutive finals appearance.

England's representatives in Philadelphia at last weekend's send-off game against Turkey will have drawn encouragement from seeing a defence which goalkeeper Tim Howard, the other Evertonian in the US side, conceded was "all over the place". But "assists" on both goals underlined the threat Donovan will pose as the US came from behind to win their penultimate warm-up fixture before yesterday's friendly with Australia at Rooderpoort.

First he set up an equaliser for Villarreal's Jozy Altidore, on loan at Hull last season, then his pass created the winner for Fulham's Clint Dempsey. Both assists stemmed from the right side, where Everton tended to deploy him, after Donovan suggested to coach Bob Bradley at half-time a switch from the left to get at a vulnerable full-back.

Only six of the 23-man squad have been to the finals before, so the know-how he has gleaned from more than 120 international games (plus a US-record 42 goals) could be critical to his team's prospects of advancing from a group which includes Algeria and Slovenia.

For Donovan, collective responsibility and personal growth are intertwined in a Californian way. The World Cup offers an "opportunity to show myself I'm a different person" from the flop of 2006. "There's no pressure, no concern," he added, sounding anything but a man fretting over what damage England might inflict. "I know I'm going to do well."

White Noise

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article7144818.ece

Donovan danger

The searing speed and will to win of Landon Donovan can hurt England on Saturday

David Moyes

Landon Donovan arrived at Everton in January with a nice southern California tan and we laughed because when he left he was as white as me. Landon lost his colour on Merseyside but he gained a lot of friends and a lot of credit. And Everton gained — significantly. For the United States to have a good World Cup, they'll need Landon to do well. He's the one who can give them some special moments.

The players and staff at Everton took about 60 seconds of his debut to understand his value. He's the kingpin of the American team, the closest thing his country have to a big soccer star, yet he has no ego. That was, perhaps, the biggest thing that struck you about him. You noticed it when he walked into the dressing room and you noticed it after about a minute of his first game for us, away to Arsenal. He was playing on our right. The ball got knocked down the line, Gael Clichy set off on the run and he turned and tracked Clichy, step for step, for 70 yards. At that point the lads said: "You'll do for us, any day." He showed exactly the team-oriented spirit we want at Everton, not to mention fantastic speed to stay with Clichy. He came off with cramp after 70 minutes because he'd worked so hard, and afterwards every player patted him on the back.

Landon epitomises the total-effort, team-focused American attitude that will confront England on Saturday. And there are also special elements in his game. Traditionally, USA sides are built on their players' honesty and endeavour but the current one has two footballers, Landon and Clint Dempsey, who possess something of a different dimension.

Landon is not Wayne Rooney and he's not Lionel Messi, in that he's not going to beat you single-handedly, but if there are good players around him who can give him the ball in the right areas, he will hurt you. The problem for the USA is supplying Landon properly. If England do their job in terms of pressing and defending, I'm not sure the Americans have enough quality to do so.

Bob Bradley, the USA coach, has a choice of whether to play Landon in the middle — where he sometimes operates for LA Galaxy — or on the flank, where we used him at Everton. Centrally, if he gets the ball in the right positions, he would worry the centre-backs. If he could get them faced up, he'd have the speed to go past them.

He can also do great work on the wing. For Everton I felt he did particularly well against quick full-backs, such as Clichy or Ashley Cole, in attack and defence. Landon could be important for USA in stopping Cole. Bradley looks likely to settle on a system that would see Landon stationed in midfield but with responsibility to move out to the right.

He played 13 games for us and we would like to have kept him longer. Before the January transfer window, his agent revealed he was looking to move to Europe on loan and there was a clause in his contract allowing him to do so in LA Galaxy's off-season.

We knew he was a good player after facing the MLS All Star XI in a friendly and my interest grew after conversations with Tim Howard and Bruce Arena. Tim raved about Landon's speed and his scoring ability. Bruce, Landon's coach at LA Galaxy, also said he was a really top finisher. I thought: "Pace and a top finisher? That's too good to pass up."

I was a little concerned that he'd twice had spells in Europe, with Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich, which didn't work out. Then I considered that Landon is regarded as America's best player and, having taken Everton to America and holidayed there several times, I think the standard of the MLS and its players is better than people in Europe imagine. If the work permit rules allowed, you'd see a lot more US players able to do a good job in the Premier League.

I was interested in Clint Dempsey before he went to Fulham, signed Brian McBride for Preston and Everton and watched Jozy Altidore before he went to Villarreal. So I thought if Landon was the best US player, he wasn't going to be far off the mark. He was worth the risk and we weren't disappointed in any way. He reminded me of Andy Johnson with his lightness across the ground. He's physically slight and glides over the top of the surface. He could be somebody who, with the slightest contact, you can knock over and give a penalty away.

He's composed on the ball and I loved that he wanted to stay on the training pitch at the end of sessions to practise finishing and speak further with the coaches so he could understand what we wanted him to do. He'll face England confident that he knows the English players and has managed to cut it in their world. I know, when he left, he was full of admiration for the Premier League because of the tempo of games and the effort required in England of playing Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday, Wednesday at that level.

Myself and the Scots in my backroom staff had plenty of banter with him and Tim Howard about playing against England. What could we do to help? I remember Tim lying on the treatment table, wondering how the USA could get a draw out of the game, and the Scots boys were in there working it out with him.

The Americans are not looking at England as a game they're likely to win; they want to get it out of the way, avoid sustaining heavy damage and use their other group matches to qualify for the next round. I'm desperate for Tim to do well because he's a fine lad and a really good keeper. I can only think of one mistake he made in the whole of last season, which shows his consistency.

I have a warning for Frank Lampard: we've done a lot of work with Tim on penalties. As proved by his performance in the shootout in our 2009 FA Cup semi-final and a couple of saves from the spot last season, he's excellent at saving them.

Profile of the US stars likely to face England

Tim Howard (GK, Everton): The 31-year-old kept 15 clean sheets in 51 matches for Everton this season

Jonathan Spector (FB, West Ham): A versatile defender, comfortable at full-back or centre-back, the 24-year-old missed the last World Cup with a dislocated shoulder

Jay DeMerit (CB, Watford): The 30-year-old Wisconsin-born defender was playing non-league football just six years ago before signing a pro contract with the Hornets

Oguchi Onyewu (CB, AC Milan): Having missed most of the season through injury, 'Gooch' signed a 12-month wage-free contract extension last month

Carlos Bocanegra (FB, Rennes): Formerly of Fulham, the team captain played in 15 of USA's 18 World Cup qualifiers

Benny Feilhaber (MF, AGF Aarhus): The Brazilian-born 25-year-old made just 10 Premier League appearances for Derby County before being jettisoned two years ago

Michael Bradley (MF, B M'gladbach): Son of the USA coach, Bradley Jr scored five goals in the CONCACAF qualifying campaign Broke his nose in March while on club duty

Maurice Edu (MF, Rangers): The box-to-box midfielder joined Rangers from Toronto in August 2008 for £2.6m. Missed the opening five months of the season with a cruciate ligament injury

Clint Dempsey (MF, Fulham): The Texan was a major factor in Fulham's march to the Europa League final, scoring a superb chip against Juventus in the last-16 tie

Landon Donovan (F, LA Galaxy): The most capped player in the current USA squad. Impressed during his brief loan spell at Everton last season

Jozy Altidore (F, Villarreal): Top scorer in qualifying, the former Hull striker struck once in 28 Premier League games

White Noise

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article7144825.ece

America victory perfect tune-up

Australia 1 USA 3

Liam Del Carme

THE United States completed their final dress rehearsal before their World Cup opener against England on Saturday with a comfortable win over Australia thanks to Edson Buddle's first international goals.

They took command of midfield and kept Australia at arm's length as the much maligned Jabulani ball and the high altitude conspired against both teams as defenders struggled to deal decisively with crosses.

"We must look at our poor clearances," USA coach Bob Bradley said. "We have to adjust to the altitude. Judging the flight of the ball still an issue."

Overall, however, Bradley was content. "This was an excellent final tune-up," he said. "There was enough competitiveness. This is exactly what we needed."

After conceding five goals in their previous two matches the USA would have wanted to shore up their defence. Yesterday they were assured at the back, helped by Michael Bradley taking command deep in midfield.

They were also the more composed when surging forward and in the first half were slick on the counterattack in the second.

Buddle got his goals after four minutes and just after the half-hour. Tim Cahill had equalised for the Australians on 19 minutes, but substitute Herculez Gomez sealed the win in stoppage time.

Australia, who arrived first in South Africa for the tournament to better acclimatise to Johannesburg's high altitude, created few chances early in the match, but looked more dangerous in the second half.

Australia coach Pim Verbeek was concerned that the Socceroos gave the ball away too much. "The organisation was not good, the first goal was a present. I think we need to keep the ball better as a team," he said. But he described the match as a training session.

Australia open their World Cup against Germany on June 13.

Star man: Edson Buddle (USA) Yellow cards: Australia: Moore, Grella USA: Dempsey Attendance: 6,000 Australia: Schwarzer (Fulham), Wilkshire (Dynamo Moscow), Neill (Galatasaray), Moore (unattached), Chipperfield (Basel), Grella (Blackburn), Culina (Gold Coast, Vidosic (Nuremberg, 61min), Bresciano (unattached), Cahill (Everton, Valeri (Sassuolo, h-t), Garcia (Hull, Rukavytsya (Twente, 71min), Kennedy (Nagoya) USA: Howard (Everton. Hahnemann (Wolves, h-t), Bocanegra (Rennes, (Bornstein, Chivas, 55min), Cherendolo (Hanover), DeMerit (Watford), Goodson (IK Start, Onyewu (AC Milan, 61min), Bradley (Borussia Moenchenglabach), Clark (Houston), Dempsey (Fulham, Gomez (Puebla, 82min), Donovan (LA Galaxy), Findley (Real Salt Lake), Buddle (LA Galaxy, Beasley (Rangers, 79min)

White Noise

Roy Hodgson will walk into Steven Gerrard crisis if he takes Anfield job

By Bob Cass

Last updated at 11:05 PM on 5th June 2010

Roy Hodgson will gain from his long-standing friendship with former Anfield great Kenny Dalglish when he is recommended as the man to succeed Rafael Benitez as Liverpool manager.

But if Hodgson, as many expect, does leave Fulham to take on the challenge of reviving the struggling Premier League giants, he will walk straight into a dressing-room crisis with Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres almost certain to be gone by the start of next season.

Gerrard, appointed England captain after Rio Ferdinand's departure from the World Cup, is bound for Real Madrid while Torres looks odds-on to begin the new campaign at Chelsea.

Gerrard's move to the Bernabeu, first revealed in The Mail On Sunday in January, has been advanced by the problems at Liverpool and the arrival of Jose Mourinho at Real.

The talismanic midfielder will seize the opportunity to escape the turmoil at the club he first linked up with as a nine-year-old to become part of Mourinho's attempt to become the first manager to win the European Cup with three different clubs and the league title in four separate countries.

The Portuguese maestro's admiration for Gerrard has not wavered since his abortive attempt to sign him for Chelsea six years ago.

The only stumbling block will be whether Mourinho can persuade Real president Florentino Perez to pay the £30million Liverpool will demand for a player who reached his 30th birthday last Sunday.

Hodgson's friendship with Dalglish goes back to the Eighties when the Englishman was in charge at Malmo and the Scot was in the Liverpool hot seat. Dalglish was a frequent visitor to the Swedish club and the pair have been firm friends ever since.

Chief executive Christian Purslow, handed the task along with Dalglish of finding a new manager, will need no persuading that the vastly experienced Hodgson is the right man to steer the club through turbulent waters, although other names being considered are Guus Hiddink, Marcello Lippi and Martin O'Neill.

Hodgson's appointment would also see Dalglish given a more prominent role than his present one in charge of the youth academy and as a club ambassador.

The current situation at Liverpool is even worse than it was six years ago when Gerrard's switch to Stamford Bridge foundered at the last minute.

Liverpool had just dispensed with Frenchman Gerard Houllier after a trophy-less season, prompting Gerrard to admit: 'For the first time in my career I've thought about the possibility of moving on'.

Instead, he signed a four-year deal, a decision that was justified when he captained Liverpool to a European Cup triumph under Benitez. But with the club up for sale, £351m in debt and seeking another new manager, Gerrard sees no likelihood of history repeating itself next season.

He is desperate for sustained success and believes Mourinho is the man to provide it.

Both Gerrard and Torres will put their futures on the back-burner to concentrate on their attempt to win World Cup glory, but the Spain striker will be the summer's biggest transfer when he moves for a fee that could come close to the £80m deal that took Cristiano Ronaldo to Real a year ago.

Although they were in a position to outbid any rival club, Manchester City's failure to win a European Cup place has ruled them out, leaving Chelsea and Barcelona as the only two possible competitors for his signature.

Barcelona presidential candidate Sandro Rosell has pledged that should he succeed his former friend and now fierce rival Joan Laporta, he will move to entice Torres and Cesc Fabregas to the Nou Camp.

But he made similar noises about David Beckham in 2003 and Barcelona would need to shift disappointing Sweden forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic to take the Liverpool striker back to Spain.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1284329/Roy-Hodgson-walk-Steven-Gerrard-crisis-takes-Anfield-job.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0q32DDSfz

White Noise

Hodgson's the man Liverpool need now

Rafa 'I'z the Bizzo' Benitez isn't a bad bloke and he was proud and dignified in his departure from Liverpool.

But this is absolutely the right decision for him and the club. He ran out of excuses, and ideas, and both need a fresh challenge.

As to who should replace him, the Kop have inevitably turned to one of their own as their preferred favourite - the great Kenny Dalglish. A man who I'm sure would give it 100 per cent and do a very good job for the fans he worships almost as much as they worship him.

But I think the best man for the job is sitting in west London. Mohamed Fayed won't thank me for saying this, but Roy Hodgson is ready for another massive club.

And I genuinely think if he got his hands on Liverpool, he'd very quickly take them back to silverware.

The Kop heart says Dalglish. The Kop head should say Hodgson.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1284271/Piers-Morgan-Losing-Rio-Ferdinand-devastating-weve-got-Steven-Gerrard.html#ixzz0q33geJi1

White Noise

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100605/SPORTS/100609721/1010/SPORTS

A personal pursuit

U.S. soccer coach Bradley gets team focused for World Cup

By JERE LONGMAN

NEW YORK TIMES

Published: Saturday, June 5, 2010 at 8:28 p.m.

Once there was a man who carved a duck from a block of wood. Asked how he did it, the man said, "I just got rid of everything that didn't look like a duck."

The story was a teaching lesson told by Pete Carril, the longtime basketball coach at Princeton. It was passed on to a young Princeton soccer coach, Bob Bradley, who guided his alma mater to the Final Four in 1993 and who in 2006 became the coach of the U.S. national team.

The Americans will open World Cup play against England on Saturday in Rustenburg, South Africa. As Bradley, 52, prepared his team the past four years, his management style reflected Carril's woodcarver — engrossed, driven, all the distractions shaved and smoothed away in pursuit of something intensely personal and finely wrought.

"Bob always liked that story," said Jim Barlow, the current Princeton soccer coach, who played for Bradley there. "He just gets rid of everything that's not soccer."

There is a phrase that Bradley uses: on the inside. It means that most information should be kept within the team, not shared with those on the outside.

His wariness was evident at a World Cup training camp at Princeton. The camp was closed to the public. Windows in the press box at the soccer stadium were papered over, lest reporters or scouts glean some tactical surprise. It took nearly a week for Bradley to announce that defender Carlos Bocanegra, the team captain, had had surgery for a sports hernia in early May.

I have this gut feeling that Bob would be in his utopia if he could coach and his team could play without any fans, no media, no distractions, just the sport in its purest sense," said Alexi Lalas, who was the general manager of Major League Soccer's MetroStars (now the Red Bulls) for a period when Bradley coached the club. "He's an idealist. I respect that. He insulates and protects his players. But there is a whole wide world that you can use to your advantage."

In his book about the United States' qualification for the World Cup, "Chasing the Game," Filip Bondy, a columnist with the Daily News, described Bradley as "wholly analytical, glum, flirting with dour," but also a dedicated family man and a "thorough professional" with whom others enjoyed working.

There is only a hint of a smile on Bradley's face in the United States team media guide. His countenance is made more severe by a balding pate and an often furrowed look, as if he is squinting into a bright light or being asked a question whose premise he disagrees with.

Bradley can also be funny and self-deprecating when he lets down his guard. Asked to describe his days at Princeton, from which he graduated with a history degree in 1980, he said simply, "Not a good student; decent player."

If he crammed for exams as an undergrad, Bradley's coaching method is one of full immersion. He has a DVD player taped to his forehead," defender Jay DeMerit said, laughing.

Bradley has exhaustively studied the world's best club teams — Barcelona of today, A.C. Milan of the late 1980s and early '90s — and from this dogged research, his own style has emerged, built on the belief that the toughest teams to beat are the ones that remain the most organized, compact and disciplined.

Ones that move collectively forward and backward and side to side.

That take advantage of the little moments, when possession is won or lost, when hustle can create an opportunity and sloth can puncture a team's invulnerability.

By his count, Bradley still keeps boxes of videotapes of the A.C. Milan teams that won European titles in 1989 and '90 while coached by Arrigo Sacchi. Occasionally, midfielder Stuart Holden said, Bradley still shows them to his players. Meanwhile, his intense research of the Americans' World Cup opponents — England, Slovenia and Algeria — led him to watch as many as 50 matches a week.

"We've never been better prepared," midfielder Landon Donovan said.

Apparently no detail is too small to overlook. At a news conference the day before the U.S faced the Czech Republic in an exhibition on May 25 in East Hartford, Conn., Donovan went to take a seat on the dais when Bradley instructed him to sit to his right. Bocanegra was positioned to his left.

"A little superstition," Bradley said to Donovan.

To his detractors, Bradley is overly rigid, cautious and loyal to a certain group of players, including his son, midfielder Michael Bradley. But he is the only coach to have led the U.S. to the final of a major international tournament — the Confederations Cup, held last June in South Africa, where the Americans beat Spain, then ranked No. 1 in the world, in the semifinals and took a two-goal lead before losing to Brazil, 3-2, in the title match.

His players describe a ruthless honesty in Bob Bradley's approach. "He'll tell you exactly what he's thinking, whether you like it or not," midfielder Clint Dempsey said.

Some find Bob Bradley hidebound, but convention did not inform his choosing of the World Cup team. Cut was Brian Ching, the Americans' most experienced forward; kept were two emerging strikers, Edson Buddle and Herculez Gomez, who until training camp had only played a few minutes with the national team years earlier.

"We need to be honest with each other and not fool ourselves," said Manfred Schellscheidt, the longtime soccer coach at Seton Hall and a mentor of Bob Bradley's. "Bob is not fooled so easily. He sees things for what they are."

Bob Bradley is the oldest of three brothers, all of whom chose a career in sports.

Scott, the middle brother, is the baseball coach at Princeton and played nine seasons in the major leagues, mostly as a catcher.

Jeff, the youngest, is a senior writer for ESPN magazine.

"I used to kid Ken Griffey Jr. and Sr.," said Scott Bradley, who was with the Seattle Mariners when the Griffeys became baseball's first father and son to play together in 1989. "I'd tell them: 'You're so proud of the father-son thing, but my family has all the bases covered. We coach and play and write about it, too.' "

Gerry Bradley, the family patriarch, grew up in meager circumstances, raised by foster parents, and played minor league baseball as a catcher before serving in the Korean War, where he won a Purple Heart in the frigid and protracted Battle of Chosin Reservoir, Scott Bradley said.

"He grew up without anything and he wanted to make sure his family had every opportunity," Scott Bradley said.

The brothers grew up sharing the sports pages of the Star-Ledger of Newark and reading the Chip Hilton series of adolescent sports novels. As boys, they moved a short distance to Essex Fells, N.J., across from an elementary school and its sports fields, where they played football, baseball, basketball — anything that was in season.

"Our lives revolved around sports," Scott Bradley said. "Our nickname around town was the All-American Boys. Goody two-shoes. We came home, did our homework, went to the school field, and we played."

Even in those days, Scott Bradley said, Bob Bradley was an overachiever, not the fastest or strongest but someone who excelled with his guile and anticipation and his understanding of exactly where he was supposed to be at a particular moment.

Eventually, he gravitated toward baseball and soccer at West Essex High in North Caldwell. To find international soccer at the time, Bob Bradley attended closed-circuit broadcasts and watched at home on a projector, as if smuggling contraband. He played baseball and soccer during his freshman year at Princeton, though his tendency to calculate every potential outcome — a strength as a soccer coach — might have limited his baseball career, Scott Bradley said.

"Bob had a tendency to almost overanalyze his swing," Scott Bradley said. "That ended up hurting him a little bit."

Bob Bradley led Princeton in scoring during his senior soccer season. But professional opportunities were scant and his sports career appeared over when he graduated in 1980. He took a managerial training position with Procter & Gamble, though it was hardly satisfying, going from store to store, peddling cake mix.

"I'm miserable," he would tell Scott Bradley. "I've got to get back into sports."

His chance came at 22, when he became the coach at Ohio University while completing his master's degree in sports administration. He returned to Princeton in 1984 to coach for a dozen seasons.

Barlow remembered Bob Bradley's keeping him and his teammates in the locker room for an hour after a nighttime defeat to Brown in the late 1980s, reviewing every aspect of the game.

"I've never had a coach who could recall in such detail and point out what you were feeling so accurately," Barlow said. "Bob cuts through the feel-good stuff to the core of what he's seeing."

He also tended to jump into practice sessions, challenging his players with a familiar passion.

"We used to joke that practice didn't end until Bob's team got the lead," Barlow said. (Bob Bradley is even fitter now and works out for as much as two hours a day. "He's a maniac," Pierre Barrieu, the national team trainer, said.)

After nine years as a head coach in MLS, Bob became the U.S. coach in December 2006, but only after the former German star Jurgen Klinsmann declined the job. At this World Cup, he will coach Michael Bradley, which has filled Bob Bradley with reticence as well as pride. He is reluctant to speak about Michael, perhaps sensitive to charges of nepotism.

"Your credibility is on the line every day," Bob Bradley said.

It is clear to most, though, that Michael Bradley — who can be as emotional as his father is reserved — belongs as a starter in midfield.

"He's become an absolute staple," Donovan said of Michael Bradley. "When he doesn't play, it definitely hurts us."

All Bob Bradley will say about Michael Bradley, 22, is, "He's a much better player than I was." And: "He's a professional. He understands as well as anybody how you earn respect in the group. So when we're at work, there's nothing more than that. That comes first."

Anything else, apparently, would violate the woodcarver's ethos of single-mindedness.

Yet last Father's Day, Bob Bradley seemed to allow himself a sentimental moment. Michael Bradley scored a goal against Egypt that helped the United States advance improbably to the semifinals of the Confederations Cup. Watching on television back in the United States, Ching saw Bob Bradley smile and pump his fists.

"You saw the father come out for a second," Ching said. "It was good to see."

White Noise

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/celebs-on-sunday/2010/06/06/georgie-thompson-gets-glammed-up-for-the-world-cup-115875-22304850/

Georgie Thompson gets glammed up for the World Cup

Words: Lyndsey Gilmour.

6/06/2010

Sports presenter and Dec's other (other) half, Georgie Thompson, 32, gets on-trend for the World Cup, and goes all coy about having babies

Dress, £75, French Connection; belt, £9, Rokit

'It feels weird being the one answering questions,' says TV journalist Georgie Thompson, who started her career on GMTV as a runner before becoming a presenter for Sky Sports. For the last nine years, she's covered everything from rugby to the less-coveted 'stiletto racing', but this month, Georgie – who's the face of Gallo Rosé's Make Football Fabulous Campaign – will be reporting on the World Cup.

'I went to an all-girls' boarding school and grew up with no brothers,' she says, explaining why becoming a walking, talking football encyclopedia hasn't been easy. 'My dad was into motor racing and sailing so, for me, learning about 92 football clubs, the ground names, the managers, the strips and the nicknames – in this country alone – was a huge undertaking.'

Proving she was a reporter before a celeb, Georgie brings her trusty laptop to the shoot, encased in a beautiful leather Mulberry pouch, which she coyly admits was a present from her boyfriend – one half of Ant and Dec, Declan Donnelly. Luckily, he's as footie-mad as she is.

Dress, £155, Corsellis at Thelookboutique.com; shoes, £95, Steve Madden at Javari.com

'We are the most ridiculous couple. We recently went away to Venice for a week – think stunning scenery, amazing restaurants, lovely weather, and both of us were like, "Where's the nearest place with a TV we can watch the football?" We needed to watch Newcastle's promotion to the premiership, that's a big deal in our household.' It's no secret Dec is a die-hard Newcastle fan, and Georgie supports Fulham, so it begs the question of who, theoretically, their kids would support? 'Don't ask me that!' she says giggling, her cheeks glowing the same crimson as her dress, 'But where do we live? London – Fulham's a local club. They could have a home team and an away team.' We wonder if Dec's answer would be the same.

Swimsuit, £24.99, River Island; skirt, £32, underskirt, £58, both American Apparel; belt, £2, Primark; shoes, £87, Betsey Johnson at Javari.com

Modelling England's colours at Charlton football stadium, in outfits that wouldn't look out of place on Carrie Bradshaw, Georgie proves you don't need synthetic T-shirts to support your team. Georgie dresses for her shape (she doesn't like showing a lot of leg) and even brought her own chicken fillets to give her top half a boost. But as fab as she looks on the terraces for us, Georgie admits she'll have to tone it down when reporting from S. Africa, if England make it through to the semi finals. 'It will be back to the Zara blazers and dresses – but that's a small price to pay, if I can get that close to the action. It's so exciting!'

Dress, £60, Jarlo; tutu, £40, Rokit.

THE OFFSIDE RULE EXPLAINED – Georgie-style

'Imagine you're in a shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the sales assistant is a one-off pair of amazing shoes which you MUST have. The "opposing" shopper in front of you is also eyeing them up. Neither of you has got your purse, so you can't push in front of the first woman as you have no money. But, seeing your dilemma, your friend at the back of the shop, throws you her purse, and when you catch it you can then run round the other shopper and buy the shoes – and that's how you score a goal.'

Georgie has teamed up with Gallo to make football fabulous. For more info from Gallo and tips on how to make the perfect Gallo Rosito cocktail visit gallorose.co.uk

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/06/06/redknapp-and-hodgson-want-kop-job-102039-22313136/

Redknapp And Hodgson Want Kop Job

Jun 6 2010 By Dave Kidd and Alan Nixon, The People

HARRY REDKNAPP and Roy Hodgson both want to be the next Liverpool manager.

Tottenham boss Redknapp has emerged as a red-hot contender for the Kop post and insiders reveal he is right at the top of headhunter Kenny Dalglish's wanted list. 

But Fulham chief Hodgson is still favourite to take over at Anfield – and has told friends he would talk to Dalglish if Liverpool make an official approach. 

Liverpool legend Dalglish ­(pictured) has been charged with finding the right man and he has been ­making discreet inquiries about whether Redknapp would ­fancy the move. 

People Sport ­understands there is a 'real chance' of Redknapp making the ­astonishing switch if it is on the right terms and, more importantly, for long enough to make the upheaval worthwhile.

Redknapp would only be ­interested in quitting Spurs if the Anfield hierarchy offer him a longer deal than the ONE-YEAR stay that is ­currently being ­considered. 

If they do, he could bring son Jamie Redknapp – a former Liverpool favourite – with him as part of his staff. 
Hodgson has told friends he feels he can achieve no more at Fulham – having guided the club to last month's Europa League final – and would reluctantly ask to leave Craven Cottage if an offer comes from Anfield. 

Fulham are braced for an ­official approach but insist they would fight to keep hold of their manager. 
Chairman Mohamed Al Fayed is willing to offer Hodgson a pay rise and a larger transfer kitty than he would get at Anfield. 
But Hodgson turns 63 in August and knows he is unlikely to ever be given a stab at such a major English club job. 

Hodgson's hopes of ­succeeding Fabio Capello as England ­manager appear to have been knocked back by the Italian agreeing to remove the release clause in his FA deal. 

The Fulham boss has been on holiday in Italy since the end of the season and is preparing to go to South Africa as a BBC World Cup pundit. 
He has been actively working on identifying transfer ­targets for Fulham and enjoys an ­excellent ­relationship with Al Fayed  and Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh. 

The Cottagers' best hope of ­keeping Hodgson, though, could be if Liverpool land Redknapp. 
Dalglish and the Spurs boss have been great friends for many years.

Harry trusted the one-time Liverpool manager to take Jamie when he was starting his career and the trio are still close. 

The three have been working together on Soccer Aid, with  sources close to the camps ­revealing they have been 'like two poker players trying not to look at each other' for the past few days. 
However, People Sport can reveal that Liverpool first brought up Redknapp as an option THREE WEEKS ago, long ­before Benitez was axed.

Redknapp's contract is ­running out at Spurs and talks with ­chairiman Daniel Levy (pictured) to extend it have been slow – ­despite Spurs beating Liverpool and Manchester City to the fourth Champions League spot. 
Ironically, Jamie has been ­acting as an intermediary, but the word is out that his dad could leave.

Liverpool are in pole ­position to do the Redknapp deal, although Spurs would ­demand compensation. 
The 63-year-old has been ­prepared to move before in his long career – and this latest switch would not worry him, ­according to pals. 

Whoever takes over as ­manager, Dalglish will have a front-line role in Liverpool's management structure. 

Liverpool chief ­executive Christian Purslow and ­chairman Martin Broughton see Dalglish – ­manager when the Reds last won the league title in 1990 – as crucial to the ­ rebuilding of the ­shattered club which sacked Benitez last week with a £6m pay-off.

Broughton's main job is to sell Liverpool to the right ­buyers after owners Tom Hicks and George Gillette decided to bring their disastrous reign to an end and put the club up for sale. 
But Broughton, along with Purslow, also recognise that with the club in a state of financial crisis, a safe pair of hands are needed and Dalglish will provide that extra help.

King Kenny, Liverpool's club ambassador, would probably not be given an official title but his ­influence will be hands-on. The Scotsman is even ready to act as stand-in boss if Liverpool don't get the man they want right away, although he has no plans to take on the position ­permanently ­having spent six years as boss between 1985 and 1991, winning three titles and two FA Cups.

He has, however, put himself at the disposal of the club and his influence will be vital as Liverpool try to haul themselves out of the mess that leaves them not only £351m in debt but facing the likelihood that one or even all of the trio of Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard and Javier Mascherano will leave after the World Cup finals. 

With no Champions League football next season and with Liverpool desperate to raise cash, all could be sacrificed unless ­billionaire new owners are found fast – an unlikely prospect given the club's debts. 

Hodgson is ­favoured over the likes of Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill because Liverpool know he would have no ­problem working alongside Dalglish ­having operated all over Europe with general managers. 

He is also on a 12-month ­rolling contract at Fulham and a switch to Anfield would cost a maximum of £2m – an ­important factor at a club that may have even less than £10m at its ­disposal this summer. 

Should Hodgson go, former Manchester City bosses Sven Goran Eriksson and Mark Hughes would be the favourites to take over at Craven Cottage. 

Mackintosh was closely ­involved in the appointment of both men during his time on the board at Eastlands. 

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/06/06/moyes-shock-name-on-liverpool-boss-list-102039-22313132/

David Moyes shock name on Liverpool boss list

Jun 6 2010 By Steve Bates, The People

Davis Moyes is the bombshell name on the list of high-profile contenders to succeed Rafa Benitez as Liverpools next manager.

Although Fulham's Roy Hodgson and Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp have now emerged as the front-runners, I understand the Everton boss (left) has support within Anfield's corridors of power and may even consider a move that would rock Merseyside to its core.

Chief executive Christian Purslow is a fan of the way Moyes has built Liverpool's city rivals into a respected force. And the Moyes fanclub have been impressed by the way he has kept his frustrations hidden about lack of resources at Goodison Park – unlike   Benitez who continually attacked his bosses during his Reds reign.

Liverpool's moguls, advised by legendary former player and boss Kenny Dalglish, are believed to have cast their net wider to include Martin O'Neill of Aston Villa and Italy's World Cup winning boss Marcello Lippi. 
The fall-back option is Dalglish who managed for six years between 1985 and 1991.