Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (07.06.10)

Started by White Noise, June 06, 2010, 11:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

West Brom join race for Norwegian sensation Marcus Pedersen

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 10:03 PM on 6th June 2010

West Bromwich Albion have joined the race to sign the teenage Stromsgodset striker Marcus Pedersen.

Albion manager Roberto Di Matteo has sent his scouts to Norway to run the rule over the 19-year-old. But Albion are among a host of clubs keen on the Norwegian under-21 international.

Pedersen has also been watched by Sunderland, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton, Everton and Fulham as well as Heerenveen, FC Twente, Hamburg, Auxerre and Anderlecht.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1284492/West-Brom-join-race-Norwegian-sensation-Marcus-Pedersen.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0q78s4TCU

White Noise

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer admits: I wouldn't blame Roy Hodgson if he wanted to move to Merseyside giants Liverpool

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 2:43 PM on 6th June 2010

Mark Schwarzer admits he would not blame Roy Hodgson if he decides to quit Fulham and take charge of Liverpool.

Schwarzer wants Hodgson to stay at Craven Cottage after the 'remarkable' job he has done in reviving Fulham's fortunes.

He steered Fulham to their first ever European final in May before they were beaten by Atletico Madrid.

But Hodgson has emerged as strong favourites with some bookmakers to replace Rafael Benitez ahead of Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill.

And Australia goalkeeper Schwarzer would understand fully if Hodgson decides to make the move to Anfield - should his services be required by the Reds.

Schwarzer said: 'How important is it Hodgson stays at Fulham? It is massive. The gaffer is huge for Fulham.

'He has done a remarkable job at the club during the past two and a half years.

'It doesn't surprise me if a number of clubs would be after him as a manager given his superb record.'

Schwarzer, currently preparing in South Africa for the World Cup with his country, admitted: "The gaffer is at that stage of this career where he is thinking 'will this sort of opportunity come around again?"

'I suppose in a lot of ways you can't blame the guy if an opportunity like this came along.

'We hope he doesn't go, we hope he stays at Fulham, but we will have to wait and see what happens.

'But I wouldn't blame him at all (if he decides to move), not at all.

'It is Liverpool you are talking about, a huge club, who normally compete in the Champions League every season.

'There are four or five such clubs in the country and there would be very few managers or players who would find it difficult to resist going to them.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1284423/Fulham-goalkeeper-Mark-Schwarzer-admits-I-wouldnt-blame-Roy-Hodgson-wanted-to-Merseyside-giants-Liverpool.html#ixzz0q79WDdM7

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6194095,00.html

Tozser eyes Fulham move

Midfielder claims Cottagers are interested in him

By Juha Pal   Last updated: 6th June 2010   

Hungary midfielder Daniel Tozser has revealed that Fulham are interested in his signature.

The 25-year-old currently plays for Belgian side Genk where his appearances have caught the eye of the Premier League outfit.

Fellow Hungarian Zoltan Gera currently is on the books at Craven Cottage and could be a persuasive factor in any potential move.

Tozser says he is happy at Genk but would love the chance to play for the Europa League finalists.

"My agent informed me that scouts of Fulham watched me in several games in the Belgian championship and it seems that they liked what they saw," he told Nemzeti Sport.

"But it's useless to talk more about it as there's no concrete offer.

"What's more I'm contracted to Genk for two more years and we could win a place in the Europa League where I'd like to shine like Fulham last season.

"But I admit it would be a big step in my career if I could move to England. I know that the Premier League has a wonderful atmosphere and it's great to compete there.

"And I'm also attracted by the chance to play in the same team as Zoltan Gera."

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/222/transfer-zone/2010/06/06/1961842/former-liverpool-legend-robbie-fowler-backs-harry-redknapp

Former Liverpool Legend Robbie Fowler Backs Harry Redknapp For Anfield Hot-Seat

Striker believes Spurs chief should succeed Benitez...

By Joe Whitbread

06-Jun-2010 10:30:00 PM

Former Liverpool goal-scoring legend Robbie Fowler believes Harry Redknapp would be the perfect replacement for Rafael Benitez in the Anfield dug-out next season.

The Reds are in the hunt for a new manager after sacking previous boss Benitez last week, and have been linked with Premier League stalwart Redknapp, as well as Aston Villa's Martin O'Neill and Roy Hodgson at Fulham.

Spurs have enjoyed a miraculous transformation from relegation candidates to Champions League qualifers in just 18-months since the 63-year-old returned to White Hart Lane.

The club clinched fourth spot in the Premier League last season, seven points ahead of Liverpool who finished in a lowly seventh.

And Fowler, who had three spells at Anfield between 1993 and 2007 and is now plying his trade in Australia, believes Redknapp can have the same impact on Merseyside.

"You want someone who has done well in the Premier League and knows how it works so you know, as a top man, why not Harry Redknapp?," Fowler told the Press Association.

"He's done fantastic with Spurs [Tottenham Hotspur] and he would be a very good manager for Liverpool.

"I'm not saying they'll go for him, but he's done fantastic at all the clubs he's been at in the Premier League and so have Martin O'Neill and Roy Hodgson."

Turkey boss Guus Hiddink has ruled himself out of the running for the Anfield post, but Fowler insists Liverpool are still an attractive proposition for big-name managers.

"Liverpool underachieved last year and Rafa [Rafael Benitez] set himself higher expectations with what came the years before, but it was always going to be difficult to match that or beat that," he added.

"It would be a good job for someone to take on. Liverpool's a massive club and they have underachieved in the last few years, but in terms of world football, there are really not that many bigger clubs.

"We've got the chance to get someone in good but it remains to be seen who there is, because there doesn't seem to be many out there."

Redknapp, whose contract expires next summer, has proven himself to be an expert wheeler dealer in the transfer market, something which Benitez attracted criticism for.

There has been speculation the new Liverpool boss will have to sell star players Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard if they want to raise funds for new signings, yet Fowler says this is unfeasible.

"There is obviously talk that Liverpool aren't in a position to spend much money - but when they do get someone in, you need to give that man some money," he added.
"Regardless of the pull of the club you need some money to bring some players in that he [the new manager] wants. It's a tough one, if any manager comes in, he'll need money.

"Both [Fernando Torres and Steven] are world class and if the new manager wants to win leagues and cups you need players like that, so whoever comes in will want to keep them.

"Players like that you win things. Admittedly you get a lot of money for them but if you do sell them it's very hard to replace them.

"Torres has been phenomenal when he has played and averages nearly a goal a game, he's up there with anyone in world football.

"You want him to play in as many league games as you can and if he plays those, he's going to score goals.

"It's important they do well in the league, the Champions League has been done recently. The majority of fans want the league over the champions league."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2559/rumours/2010/06/07/1962238/fulham-keen-to-sign-arsenal-outcast-philippe-senderos-after?
Fulham keen to sign Arsenal outcast Philippe Senderos after the World Cup - report

Arsenal centre-back Philippe Senderos could make a £3million move to Fulham after representing Switzerland in the World Cup.

The 25-year-old is a key member of the Swiss squad that will face Spain, Honduras and Chile in Group H.

However, Senderos has failed to win over Gunners boss Arsene Wenger and could make a permanent move away from Arsenal this summer, according to The Mirror.

After making just two appearances for the Gunners this season, Senderos joined Everton in January but only appeared three times in a loan spells with the Toffees.

Fulham are in need of a centre-back after Chris Smalling moved to Manchester United this summer and the Cottagers are looking to sign Senderos after the World Cup.

With Mark Schwarzer rumoured to be a target for the Gunners, Senderos could be a part of a swap for the Australian international goalkeeper.

Senderos came to Arsenal in the winter of 2002 from Swiss club Servette and was believed to be destined for great things.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2010/06/07/gerard-houllier-backs-roy-hodgson-for-liverpool-fc-manager-s-job-55578-26601534/?
Gerard Houllier backs Roy Hodgson for Liverpool FC manager's job

ROY HODGSON has been backed to become new Liverpool FC manager by Gerard Houllier – as Javier Mascherano dropped the biggest hint yet he wants to leave.

Hodgson has emerged as a front-runner to take over at Anfield after Rafael Benitez left the club on Thursday after six years in charge.

The 62-year-old has admirers inside the Liverpool boardroom for the manner in which he guided Fulham to the Europa League final last month on a modest budget.

And former Anfield manager Houllier is convinced Hodgson's vast coaching experience – which includes spells at Inter Milan and the Swiss and Finnish international teams – makes him a wise choice.

"Roy has done very well with an average team at Fulham," said Houllier. "I would be delighted if he could coach Liverpool in his career as he deserves it.

"He's used to coaching stars. Don't forget he was at Inter Milan as well."

Fulham are keen to hold on to Hodgson after his success at Craven Cottage, but goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer admits he wouldn't blame the manager for taking up the challenge at Anfield.

"How important is it Hodgson stays at Fulham? It is massive," said Schwarzer. "The gaffer is huge for Fulham.

"He has done a remarkable job at the club during the past two-and-a-half years.

"It doesn't surprise me if a number of clubs would be after him as a manager given his superb record."

Schwarzer added: "The gaffer is at that stage of this career where he is thinking 'will this sort of opportunity come around again?'

"I suppose in a lot of ways you can't blame the guy if an opportunity like this came along.

"We hope he doesn't go, we hope he stays at Fulham, but we will have to wait and see what happens."

Benitez, meanwhile, is expected to hold talks with Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti in the coming days with a view to taking over from Jose Mourinho, who has departed for Real Madrid.

And Mascherano believes the Spaniard is the right man for the job – and suggested he would like to follow Benitez to the San Siro.

"Only Benitez could take the place of a coach like Mourinho," said the Argentina international. "He is a great coach. He has charisma, personality, a winning mentality.

"Inter have made a good choice. After Mourinho, he is the only man capable of continuing Inter's winning run."

Asked about his future, Mascherano, who has spent the past three years at Anfield, refused to rule out a move to the San Siro. "Would I follow Benitez? I don't know," he said. "At the moment I really know little about my future.

"But of course with Benitez at Liverpool I experienced three incredible years. His football is my football."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2010/06/07/1962257/fulhams-clint-dempsey-hopes-to-prove-american-critics-wrong?
Fulham's Clint Dempsey hopes to prove American critics wrong at the World Cup
USA forward has been called slow and lazy by the press back home

United States and Fulham striker Clint Dempsey hopes to prove his critics at home wrong and shed claims that he is a lazy player when the USA take on England in their World Cup opener next week.

Dempsey enjoyed a good season for the Cottagers this season scoring nine goals, including an audacious goal capped a historic comeback that sent Fulham past Juventus in the Europa League Round of 16.

Despite winning over the Fulham supporters during his time at Craven Cottage, Dempsey is tired of his critics in the USA labeling his slow and lazy.

TV commentator and former Sheffield Wednesday star John Harkes questioned Dempsey's dedication after a World Cup qualifying win over Trinidad and Tabago last year, but the 27-year-old is out to show he has heart.

"I pride myself on stepping up on the big occasions," Dempsey told The Sun.

"You can question my effectiveness but you can't question my heart and my effort.

"People who aren't educated about the game are going to take whatever a commentator has to say as the complete truth.

"And that's not always the case. That's just their opinion.

"I really don't want to get into how I'm perceived in the Premier League versus in the US.

"But I'm respected in Europe for what I do week in and week out on the highest level.

"In big games, I always come through."

WhiteJC

http://www.cityam.com/sport/hodgson-has-schwarzer-and-houllier-backing-reds-job?
Hodgson has Schwarzer and Houllier backing for Reds job

FULHAM goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer admits he would not begrudge manager Roy Hodgson if he walked away from west London to replace Rafael Benitez at Liverpool.

Hodgson is among the favourites to succeed the Spaniard, who accepted a pay-off to quit last week, and is the preferred candidate of ex-Reds chief Gerard Houllier.

The well-travelled Englishman, 62, has hinted he would be tempted if a high-profile club were to approach him and, although he is desperate to see Hodgson stay, Schwarzer knows the Anfield hotseat would be hard to resist.

"We hope he doesn't go, we hope he stays at Fulham, but we will have to wait and see what happens," said the Australia stopper.

"But I wouldn't blame him at all [if he went], not at all. It is Liverpool you are talking about, a huge club, who normally compete in the Champions League every season. The gaffer is at that stage of this career where he is thinking 'will this sort of opportunity come around again?'"

Houllier, whose reign preceded Benitez's, believes Hodgson has the experience to succeed at Liverpool.

"Roy has done very well with an average team at Fulham," he said. "I'd be pleased if he could coach Liverpool because he would deserve it. He is used to coaching stars, because don't forget he was at Inter Milan as well."

Former Reds striker Robbie Fowler is also a fan of Hodgson, but believes Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp would be the perfect appointment.

He said: "He's done fantastic with Spurs and he would be a very good manager for Liverpool."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham's-schwarzer-not-surprised-hodgson-interest-888831?
Fulham's Schwarzer not surprised by Hodgson interest

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer says he is not surprised that manager Roy Hodgson has attracted plenty of interest recently.

The Australia international is in South Africa preparing for next week's World Cup but put his focus to the side to talk about the situation involving his club and the fact that plenty of rivals, including Liverpool, are keen to have Hodgson in charge.

Schwarzer understands just how important Hodgson is to the Cottagers and knows exactly why other clubs are headhunting him.

"How important is it Hodgson stays at Fulham? It is massive. The gaffer is huge for Fulham," he said.

"He has done a remarkable job at the club during the past two and a half years.

"It doesn't surprise me if a number of clubs would be after him as a manager given his superb record."

But Schwarzer added that he wouldn't hold a grudge if Hodgson was to leave for a bigger club as it would be a great opportunity for his career.

"The gaffer is at that stage of his career where he is thinking 'will this sort of opportunity come around again?'," he added.

"We hope he doesn't go, we hope he stays at Fulham, but we will have to wait and see what happens. But I wouldn't blame him at all, not at all.

"It is Liverpool you are talking about, a huge club, who normally compete in the Champions League every season.

"There are four or five clubs in the country and there would be very few managers or players who would find it difficult to resist going to them."

WhiteJC

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/06/07/ex-liverpool-fc-boss-gerard-houllier-backs-fulham-s-roy-hodgson-to-take-over-at-anfield-92534-26601804/?
Ex-Liverpool FC boss Gerard Houllier backs Fulham's Roy Hodgson to take over at Anfield

ROY HODGSON has been backed to become new Liverpool manager by Gerard Houllier – as Javier Mascherano dropped the biggest hint yet he wants to leave.

Hodgson has emerged as a front-runner to take over at Anfield after Rafael Benitez left the club on Thursday after six years in charge.

The 62-year-old has admirers inside the Liverpool boardroom for the manner in which he guided Fulham to the Europa League final on a modest budget last month.

And former Anfield manager Houllier is convinced Hodgson's vasy coaching experience – which includes spells at Inter Milan and the Swiss and Finnish international teams – makes him a wise choice.

"Roy has done very well with an average team at Fulham," said Houllier.

"I would be delighted if he could coach Liverpool in his career as he deserves it. He's used to coaching stars. Don't forget he was at Inter Milan as well."

While both Guus Hiddink and Frank Rijkaard appear to have ruled themselves out of the running, a clutch of another names have been linked with the vacant position in recent days.

Harry Redknapp, Marcello Lippi and Sven-Goran Eriksson can be added to a list that already includes Hodgson, Kenny Dalglish, Martin O'Neill and Louis van Gaal.

Fulham are keen to hold on the Hodgson after his success at Craven Cottage, but goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer admits he wouldn't blame the manager for taking up the challenge at Anfield if offered the chance.

"How important is it Hodgson stays at Fulham? It is massive," said Schwarzer. "The gaffer is huge for Fulham.

"He has done a remarkable job at the club during the past two-and-a-half years. It doesn't surprise me if a number of clubs would be after him as a manager given his superb record."

Schwarzer added: "The gaffer is at that stage of this career where he is thinking 'will this sort of opportunity come around again?'

"I suppose in a lot of ways you can't blame the guy if an opportunity like this came along. We hope he doesn't go, we hope he stays at Fulham, but we will have to wait and see what happens.

But I wouldn't blame him at all (if he decides to move), not at all. It is Liverpool you are talking about, a huge club, who normally compete in the Champions League every season.

"There are four or five such clubs in the country and there would be very few managers or players who would find it difficult to resist going to them."

Benitez, meanwhile, is expected to hold talks with Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti in the coming days with a view to taking over from Jose Mourinho, who has departed for Real Madrid.

And Mascherano believes the Spaniard is the right man for the job – while suggesting he would like to follow Benitez to the San Siro.

"Only Benitez could take the place of a coach like Mourinho," said the Argentina international. "He is a great coach. He has charisma, personality, a winning mentality.

"Moreover, he will find himself brilliantly in Italy because of the tactical game. Rafa studies everything on the table and directs the team from the bench like a orchestra conductor. Inter have made a good choice. After Mourinho, he is the only man capable of continuing Inter's winning run."

Mascherano has spent the past three years at Anfield but contract negotiations have currently been put on hold until after the World Cup.

The 25-year-old was heavily linked with a move to Barcelona last summer and has refused to allay fears he may have played his last game for Liverpool.

"Would I follow Benitez? I don't know," he said. "At the moment I really know little about my future. But of course with Benitez at Liverpool I experienced three incredible years. His football is my football."

WhiteJC

http://soccerlens.com/moore-and-grella-disappointing-in-australia-loss-to-the-united-states/46494/?
Moore and Grella disappointing in Australia loss to the United States

The Socceroos final pre-World Cup hit-out has ended in a disappointing 3-1 loss to the United States at Ruimsig Stadium. With national coach Pim Verbeek fielding a strong side, they were expected to challenge their more-illustrious opponents. But from the moment midfielder Vince Grella gave the ball away cheaply for Edson Buddle to blast past Mark Schwarzer in the 4th minute of the game, it was always going to be a long night for the Socceroos.

The pace and direct running of Buddle and his strike partner Robbie Findley was creating numerous goalscoring opportunities, which, fortunately for the Socceroos, were being wasted. Findley managed to break the offside trap in the 15th minute and rounded Schwarzer, but inexcusably missed an open goal. The United States were left to rue their wastefulness when Tim Cahill slid the ball past Everton team-mate Tim Howard to level the scores at 1-1.

But the Americans were soon in front again thanks to Buddle's second goal. Craig Moore, the former Brisbane Roar defender, misjudged the flight of the controversial ball and left Buddle unmarked at the back post, with the simple task of heading past Schwarzer. He made no mistake.

The Socceroos started more brightly in the second half, but were given another life-line when Findley missed another golden opportunity by hitting the cross bar. Moore decided to give the Americans another chance to score by weakly heading the ball back into the danger area. From the resulting scrap, Fulham star Clint Dempsey thought he had put his team out of reach with a diving header, but it was suprisingly ruled out for offside.

Unlike the game against Denmark, the Socceroos decided to play a more expansive, attacking game in the second period and created a few good opportunities themselves. Striker Josh Kennedy had the best of them, when he fired over from close range and then missed a relatively simple header at the back post after good lead-up work by Scott Chipperfield.

But the United States always looked dangerous on the counter, and in the 92nd minute they finally ended the contest. Landon Donovan drilled a ball across the six-yard box and left substitute Herculez Gomez with a tap-in. It was a deserved victory for the Americans and will provide the Socceroos with plenty of work to do ahead of the World Cup.

Moore and Grella's performances in particular were cause for concern and their inclusion against Germany needs to be carefully considered by Verbeek. All three of the goals conceded by the Socceroos were caused by lapses in concentration and poor marking. Being out of contract and 34 years of age, Moore was lucky to even make it into the final 23-man squad. He offers great experience, but has shown he is prone to making defensive lapses and was completely outplayed by Findley and Buddle.

It is becoming increasingly unclear why Verbeek persists with Moore and does not try Michael Beauchamp or even Mark Milligan. Both have international experience, are young and pacy, and deserve a chance.

Injured for much of the season at Blackburn Rovers, Grella has not had the best build up for the World Cup, and he has been woeful against New Zealand and the United States. Apart from making terribly mistimed and disgusting tackles, he has turned over possession time and again and should be replaced by either Jason Culina or Mile Jedinak in the vital role of protecting the back four.

Grella's performances have been worrying
Despite beating New Zealand and Denmark in the lead-up to the game against the United States, the Socceroos have been poor as a team, with Moore and Grella the stand-outs. This result should give their coach the incentive to drop a couple of under-performing veterans, but, knowing Verbeek, he will stick with the same players and wonder why his team is torn apart by the class of Germany, Ghana and Serbia.

Read more: http://soccerlens.com/moore-and-grella-disappointing-in-australia-loss-to-the-united-states/46494/?#ixzz0q9D4onBy

WhiteJC

http://www.oddspreview.com/category/Football/Liverpool-FC-next-manager-betting--Roy-Hodgson-favourite-for-Liverpool-job-201006070002/
Liverpool FC next manager betting - Roy Hodgson favourite for Liverpool job

Roy Hodgson is again favourite to become the next permanent manager of Liverpool

William Hill make the Fulham boss 13/8 to succeed Rafael Benitez at Anfield.

Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe said: "Hodgson has returned to favouritism after backing for Martin O'Neill dried up.

"The betting suggests that Liverpool have not yet put a short-list of genuine contenders in place with many potential bosses being supported.

"We remain sceptical that Harry Redknapp will give up the Champions League and that David Moyes will defect from one part of Merseyside to the other."

WhiteJC

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/3002102/Dempsey-fury-over-lazy-tag.html
Dempsey fury over 'lazy' tag

CLINT DEMPSEY is ready to make England pay on Saturday for a long-running feud with his AMERICAN critics.
The Fulham and US forward - who played two games for New England in 2004 with a broken jaw - has won over an army of fans in West London.

But he is sick of being labelled slow and lazy back home.

He has maintained a row with TV pundit John Harkes since a narrow World Cup qualifying win at Trinidad and Tobago last year, when the former Sheffield Wednesday star questioned his commitment.

Dempsey said: "I pride myself on stepping up on the big occasions.

"You can question my effectiveness but you can't question my heart and my effort.

"People who aren't educated about the game are going to take whatever a commentator has to say as the complete truth.

"And that's not always the case. That's just their opinion.

"I really don't want to get into how I'm perceived in the Premier League versus in the US.

"But I'm respected in Europe for what I do week in and week out on the highest level.

"In big games, I always come through."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/3002102/Dempsey-fury-over-lazy-tag.html#ixzz0q9E8RAhg

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-News-Arsenal-star-Philippe-Senderos-is-in-line-for-a-3million-move-to-Fulham-article450349.html

Fulham eye Arsenal outcast - Exclusive

Published 23:59 06/06/10

By James Nursey

Arsenal outcast Philippe Senderos is in line for a £3million move to Fulham after the World Cup.

Swiss defender Senderos, 25, is expected to be a key player for his country in South Africa.

But he is surplus to requirements at Arsenal after failing to convince Emirates boss Arsene Wenger.

Senderos was even loaned to Premier League rivals Everton in January for whom he made just three appearances.

But Fulham need another centre-back this summer as Chris Smalling is going to Manchester United.

And the Craven Cottage club now hope to tie up a permanent transfer for Senderos after the World Cup.

Senderos is certain to leave Arsenal this summer and would jump at the chance to move across London.

He could even form part of a swap deal for Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer who is wanted by the Gunners. But Senderos' potential move to Fulham may be affected if manager Roy Hodgson quits for Liverpool.

Senderos signed for Arsenal in December 2002 from Swiss side Servette and was tipped for great things.

But he fell out of favour with Wenger and joined Italian club AC Milan on a season-long loan in August 2008 and played just twice for Arsenal this term before being loaned out again.

WhiteJC

http://www.liverpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=201017
Liverpool: Hodgson Would Find It Hard To Resist
Roy Hodgson continues to remain one of the favourites to become the next Liverpool Boss and one of his own players admits that the 62 year old would find it hard to resist Anfield. Fulham's Mark Schwarzer knows how important the Fulham Boss is to our Premier League rivals but also know he could be thinking that an opportunity like this might not come around again, as he explained:

'How important is it Hodgson stays at Fulham? It is massive. The gaffer is huge for Fulham. He has done a remarkable job at the club during the past two-and-a-half years.

'It doesn't surprise me if a number of clubs would be after him as a manager given his superb record. The gaffer is at that stage of his career where he is thinking 'will this sort of opportunity come around again?'

During his time with Fulham Hodgson has managed to pull off a last day PL survival battle in 2008 before taking Fulham into a European finish the season before last and took the side to the Europa League Final last season, which was the first European Final in Fulham's history. This had seen him linked with the Reds, before Rafa left, and also linked with another return to Inter Milan, who he has managed twice before already however Rafa looks set to get this job.

Australian international Schwarzer says that he wouldn't blame his Boss if he did take the Reds job, but hopes that he doesn't, but knows Liverpool (and a handful of other clubs) will always be difficult for people to say no to, as he also explained:

'I suppose in a lot of ways you can't blame the guy if an opportunity like this came along. We hope he doesn't go, we hope he stays at Fulham, but we will have to wait and see what happens. But I wouldn't blame him at all (if he decides to move), not at all.

'It is Liverpool you are talking about, a huge club, who normally compete in the Champions League every season.

'There are four or five such clubs in the country and there would be very few managers or players who would find it difficult to resist going to them.'

Hodgson has also had the backing of former Reds Boss Gerard Houllier however former Reds Legend Robbie Fowler has put his backing behind Harry Redknapp, who is also believed to be among the favourites with Martin O'Neill. Redknapp or O'Neill are yet to comment to confirm or deny an interest in the vacancy, Hodgson is the same.

Read more: http://www.liverpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=201017#ixzz0q9iAJWWv

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/7803370/World-Cup-2010-Roy-Hodgsons-10-players-to-watch-in-South-Africa.html

World Cup 2010: Roy Hodgson's 10 players to watch in South Africa

England's Manager of the Year Roy Hodgson accepts that goal-grabbing glamour boys will steal the headlines at World Cup 2010 but picks 10 others who might make the difference this year.

By Roy Hodgson

Published: 9:00AM BST 07 Jun 2010

It's obvious where the focus will be at this World Cup. Much will be written on star forwards, goal-scorers and we all know the value of Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka, Torres.

We are also going to be hearing an awful lot about all the other England stars too. So let us turn it on its head. Let's consider some other types of players who might just be as decisive.

I remember Brian Clough, when he was manager of Nottingham Forest, saying that the goalkeeper was the most important player in a team and he proved this by buying Peter Shilton for a then record sum.

I will, also, never forget the influence of Gordon Banks during England's World Cup success in 1966.

In South Africa, with matches played at altitude, and the ball coming quickly through the air, the goalkeeper will become an even more influential figure.

It's a vital job. There is so much to it - commanding the penalty area, reading the game, communicating and giving confidence and, of course, the saves that have to be made. A goalkeeper will have plenty of chances to show his worth – not least in matches decided by penalty shoot-outs.

It is why, from the 10 players I have chosen, three are goalkeepers and all three are outstanding. They may very well end up being the heroes for their countries.

1. Iker Casillas (Spain): An excellent shot-stopper with good reactions who's used to the big occasions having been first-choice for Real Madrid for a decade and, though still just 29, is one of his club's – and his country's - most experienced players.

It's eight years since he came on as a substitute in a Champions League Final and was making brilliant saves. He also now has 101 international caps. Given Spain's attacking style he's likely to be called upon to deal with counter-attacks.

Casillas is also a good distributor of the ball, is extremely confident and fits in with his country's positive footballing philosophy. He's 'at one' with his team-mates and his greatest quality is the one all goalkeepers need: presence.

2. Julio Cesar (Brazil): High in confidence after four years of success with Inter Milan, where he dislodged the vastly-experienced Francesco Toldo, he is not as tall as many of his colleagues but is an agile goalkeeper, a prodigious leaper and a superb shot-stopper.

Brazil have often bemoaned the lack of a first-class goalkeeper in the past but they have found their man with Cesar. Like Casillas, he may have games when he does not have much to do but when he is called upon his ability is going to be decisive. And that is the sign of a world-class goalkeeper and a strong character.

3. Mark Schwarzer (Australia): He has all of the qualities that a top-class goalkeeper requires while his reassuring presence will be vital to his country's chances of success as Australia find themselves in a difficult group with Germany, Serbia and Ghana.

And so he is likely to be called into action fairly often. I'm risking being accused of bias by choosing him, of course, as he has been my goalkeeper at Fulham for the past two seasons.

When the ball is crossed into the penalty area, however, you know that he is going to come and get it and be commanding. He's a man who has been rightly praised and recognised this season.

I've only chosen one defender. That's not because I regard them as any less vital than the rest of the team but because I, perhaps unusually, wanted to include three goalkeepers and also pay attention to the midfield. But there was one interesting defender I did not want to leave out.

4. Juan (Brazil): Now back to fitness after being out for a long-time, he is a simply magnificent defender. His greatest quality is his incredible athleticism.

He's very mobile, a smooth mover and is quick to intercept and read danger. He is also very comfortable on the ball.

Overall he provides a perfect foil to Lucio who is the ball-winning centre-half, who likes to go in for the challenges. Juan is the Rio Ferdinand to Lucio's John Terry and he provides balance. They are an important partnership in the centre of defence. Their record is outstanding.

My old friend Carlos Alberto Parreira, the former Brazil coach, now the coach of South Africa, of course, singled him out in a conversation we had. And that's good enough for me.

Although Brazil's coach Carlos Dunga insists on discipline I think this is still a very attack-minded Brazil team which makes Juan pivotal. I have already included the goalkeeper but the centre-backs are also crucial to Brazil's hopes.

In midfield the headlines are often given to those players who are attack-minded or in possession of extraordinary technical skills. Brazil and Portugal regularly produce these players. Often the ones we are told to look out for in lesser-known teams are players of this type.

No doubt the tournament will throw up several players who are obscure to the public but who will be household names by the middle of July. I cannot pretend to know who all these players will be so my choice, for now, is bound to be conservative.

5. Xavi/ Andres Iniesta (Spain): I regard these two as a pair; almost joined. Perhaps it's obvious to pick them out because of their influence. That has been richly recognised of late even though I would contend they have been passed over for a long time previously. Their work-rate is impressive. The short-passing and patient build-up on which Spanish football depends is very much the responsibility of these two.

Spain's success or failure in the tournament may well depend on their fitness. Opponents are going to be focussed on stopping their 'ball circulation' and intelligent passing.

They see passes and ways out of tight situations that people don't see from their comfortable positions in the stands. They receive the ball and you think 'they'll do well to deal with that' and they not only do but find a pass that keeps their team on the move.

They are all-action players and do a lot more work than people understand and cover the ground. It's about their technical ability combined with their innate awareness of where team-mates are so they can pick the right pass. Football is about decision-making and, more often than not, they make the right decision.

6. Andrea Pirlo (Italy): Very much in the vein of the two Spanish maestros, the AC Milan play-maker is the man on whom the Italian playing system depends. But, for years, Pirlo's chances of being a top player were dismissed because he wanted to play behind the striker. It was thought he didn't have the dribbling ability or the change of pace or the eye for the opportunity in the penalty box.

It was a stroke of genius by Carlo Ancelotti to change his position to a much deeper one although, again, it was somewhere where people thought he couldn't play because he's not a ball-winner.

He's not a physical player or tackler. But his ability to read the game plus the fact that he plays with two others in midfield who are good 'pressurisers' meant they were able to use his skills. He's a good long passer and someone who can see the forward pass.

From his deeper position he can cleverly screen the passes aimed at the opponents' forwards, anticipating the run of play and when in possession his range of passing and his eye for the "killer ball" provides the impetus for Italy's attacking play. He's 31 now but he still sets that match tempo. Little wonder they call him the "metronome".

7. Jeremy Toulalan (France): He's the man who had to don the mantle of Claude Makelele whose influence was so prominent during the fairly recent period of French national team success. Like my other choices he is very comfortable on the ball and an excellent reader of the game.

He's impressed me with his size and presence and is strong and dominant. That position for France is such an important one. It is for every team, of course, but the French play with two wingers – players like Franck Ribery and Florent Malouda - and one, sometimes, two centre-forwards so the player who controls the centre of the midfield is always going to be important because he has to cover a lot of ground and make certain gaps are covered. He is a model of consistency and has enjoyed another excellent season at Lyon.

8. Christian Poulsen (Denmark): At the beginning of the season he was unwanted at Juventus, who had signed the Brazilian international Felipe Melo for 20m euros to take his place.

Despite this replacement signing, Poulsen started Juve's league campaign and was an important figure for them up until the time he broke his leg. Now fully recovered, I expect him to shoulder responsibility for Denmark's midfield where as a holding player he not only reads the game but also provides the tackles, the passing and the example to team-mates that coach Morten Olsson depends upon. He's relied upon heavily to dictate the style of play. Denmark could surprise a few people.

9. Wesley Sneijder (Holland): He's had a tremendous season for Inter Milan and has been vital to their success because he's the one who has provided important goals as well as the assists. He's an exceptional striker of the ball and is very, very dangerous from set-plays. But he's also an extremely hard-working player unlike some number 10s who are gifted but who do not graft for the team and do not get back into position. When I see Sneijder play I've always been impressed by the way he is prepared to sacrifice himself and work hard defensively. That was shown in Inter's Champions League game against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and in Barcelona when they were down to 10 men. His defensive work was as good as his offensive work in those games.

10. Ji-Sung Park (South Korea): He's a vital player for his team. He is the key man with his work-rate and understanding of the game - but, most of all, his experience of the big occasion. The fact that he has played for Manchester United with great success in league deciders and Champions League games is of major significance. For a lot of the Korean players he will be the one they turn to for guidance and help. And as a midfield player and goal-scorer he is also capable of providing a decisive moment because he's likely to pop up in the penalty area. I also think he's worth mentioning because the Koreans have a chance of progressing. I saw them play the Ivory Coast recently at Loftus Road. They were workmanlike but also impressed me. They looked a good out-fit.

So, that's my selection. My decisive 10. It's never easy to choose players who may be the decisive ones for the teams, especially during a knock-out tournament like a World Cup. Punditry is a dangerous game. I can only hope that my choices play well and justify my faith in them.

ScalleysDad

Wow what a start to the week. Roy is favorite to go ravaged, debt ridden, exit door wide open Liverpool, Schwarz is off to Arsenal and the failed Senderos is set to bolster our midfield with those other giants of the game Etuhu and Greening.
My monday morning is summed up in one word .................................... YIKES !

White Noise

FFC Director re-elected to FA Council

Monday 7th June 2010

Fulham FC News

The Club is delighted to confirm that FFC Director Mark Collins has been re-elected to the FA Council for the fourth consecutive year. Mark is a member of the FA Referees' Committee, and the FA Challenge Cup Committee, to which he was appointed as Chairman, in January 2010.

Mark has been a Fulham fan for nearly forty years and was part of the team that facilitated the Chairman's acquisition of the Club in 1997.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/June/DirectorNews.aspx#ixzz0qAISgbP9

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/ex-man-city-managers-eriksson-hughes-frame-fulham-job-890291?
Ex-Man City managers Eriksson, Hughes in frame for Fulham job

Sven Goran Eriksson is being linked with Roy Hodgson's job at Fulham.

A Manchester City influence is expected at Fulham should the Londoners lose Hodgson to Liverpool.

The People says should Hodgson go, former Manchester City bosses Sven Goran Eriksson and Mark Hughes would be the favourites to take over at Craven Cottage.

Fulham chief Alistair Mackintosh was closely involved in the appointment of both men during his time on the board at Eastlands.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/6/7/1504921/cottagers-daily-rumor-mill-marcus?
Cottagers Daily Rumor Mill: Marcus Pedersen being monitored by Fulham, West Bromwich Albion, Blackburn, Everton and many others

I just saw another interesting rumor this morning regarding a player Fulham might have interest in. The story involves young Norwegian Striker Marcus Pedersen. There are many teams tracking the progress of this player. According to the Daily Mail, West Bromwich Albion has now joined the battle for his services. The article mentions  the other clubs monitoring him. The other Pemier League clubs supposedly interested in Pedersen are Fulham, Blackburn, Everton, Sunderland and Bolton.   

Marcus Pedersen is a 19 year old striker from Norway. He is currently playing for Norwegian Club Strømsgodset IF.  He has been with this club since January 2009. In 38 appearances with his club he has scored 17 goals. He has also been playing for Norway's Under 21 team.

I certainly can understand why several clubs are tracking Marcus Pedersen. It is good to see that Fulham are among others who are monitoring him. Once more information becomes available regarding Marcus Pedersen I will have an update.