watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

World Cup squad OUT

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, May 12, 2014, 02:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccscratch

wish Stockdale got the nod on the stand by list. Ruddy has had a good season though.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Craven Mad

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on May 12, 2014, 02:33:13 PM
Very happy with the squad.... Lampard for Barry would be my only change.

Nice exciting young squad... I think we will get out the group

+1 to all.

andyk

Wonderful, I look forward to a ropey start, followed by a dramatic last game qualification for the knock out stages, progress past one of the lower seeds and losing to Germany.

Nick Bateman

Awful squad, predictable favourites chosen from a clique apart from Ashley Cole.  Worst England ever, in my opinion, and will fail to qualify to knock out stages.  Sidwell was best midfielder this season and Stockdale far better than Ruddy who is no ruddy good!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

blingo

smalling, and rooney are just two wasted plane tickets.

epsomraver

Quote from: blingo on May 12, 2014, 04:37:21 PM
smalling, and rooney are just two wasted plane tickets.
0001.jpeg

leonffc

Quote from: MJG on May 12, 2014, 02:22:03 PM
Stones for Jones and Defoe for Welbeck would be my changes

I wouldnt go for Defoe, especially since he's gone to Canada. Plus Roy has always said that he takes a squad that will be good together in a tournament environment. I dont think Defoe fits the bill.
He was rumoured to be the 'grass' in the dressing room when Roy made his monkey astronaught joke and at the same time there were lots of stories about his attitude and stirring in the Spurs camp because he wasnt being picked. Both rumours but.....

As for Stones, he looks good. Better than Jones who I really cant see what the fuss is about.

Big Martin Jol

Quote from: Sammyffc on May 12, 2014, 02:56:05 PM
Quote from: Big Martin Jol on May 12, 2014, 02:14:32 PM
I'd have certainly taken Carrick and Flanagan over Lampard and Johnson - and maybe taken a chance on Caulker or Stones, although their time will come.

Other than that I won't complain too much. Others inevitably will but to me it's a step in the right direction in that it looks a much stronger side than went to South Africa/Ukraine and I'm excited to see Shaw, Barkley, Sterling and Sturridge make a proper impact for England.

Shame about Walcott, Rodriguez etc.

agree with everything you said apart from flanagan for johnson . two different positions sir , flanagan is a LB and johnson is a RB

I think I've read that right-back is Flanagan's preferred position but that it's filled at club level by (ironically) Johnson. But you're quite right, he's more frequently used as a left-back.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Sniffer

Quote from: Burt on May 12, 2014, 02:12:21 PM
History has shown that we have never won a world cup without a Fulham player being involved.

'nuff said  :dft011:

Very true    :drums:
"Numquam Cede"

FPT

Quote from: Sammyffc on May 12, 2014, 02:56:05 PM
Quote from: Big Martin Jol on May 12, 2014, 02:14:32 PM
I'd have certainly taken Carrick and Flanagan over Lampard and Johnson - and maybe taken a chance on Caulker or Stones, although their time will come.

Other than that I won't complain too much. Others inevitably will but to me it's a step in the right direction in that it looks a much stronger side than went to South Africa/Ukraine and I'm excited to see Shaw, Barkley, Sterling and Sturridge make a proper impact for England.

Shame about Walcott, Rodriguez etc.

agree with everything you said apart from flanagan for johnson . two different positions sir , flanagan is a LB and johnson is a RB

Flanagan IS a right back, he's only playing on the other flank because Jose Enrique is injured, and it prevents them from using Sakho or Agger at full back.

Mhbruce

I believe our best chance would be
Gk- hart
RB- Johnson
CB- Cahill
CB- jagielka
LB- baines
CDM Gerrard
LM- llalana
RM- sterling or Barkley
Cam- rooney
St- lambert and sturridge

Artful Dodger

Quote from: Burt on May 12, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
I'm not sold on the defence, but there's not too many options.

The midfield looks exciting.

And the forwards on their day may be able to do a thing or two.

Is Andros Townsend injured? Surprised he is not on the list given the impact he had in the qualifications...
I believe Townsend is out after needing surgery on his whatever it was that was injured.

I think that squad is about as good as he could have gone with barring maybe Smalling for Stones but for once, it does look like we will have to win 4-3 rather than the usual 1-0 and hope we have 5% of the ball whilst we defend like the Alamo, look technically deficient and then claim it is how England play!

I am really hoping that we surprise a few with the youth and at least play with a bit more style than we have done in recent world cups with South Africa being an absolute embarrassment!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

jmh

Quote from: Nick Bateman on May 12, 2014, 03:27:33 PM
Awful squad, predictable favourites chosen from a clique apart from Ashley Cole.  Worst England ever, in my opinion, and will fail to qualify to knock out stages.  Sidwell was best midfielder this season and Stockdale far better than Ruddy who is no ruddy good!
Sorry, are you honestly saying Sidwell was the best of all English midfielders this season?  As opposed to just, like, the best of a bad crop for Fulham?  Because that's ludicrous.

Classic94

Not bad to be honest. A little weak in defence but the midfield looks very handy.

Bryanthebroom

Smalling/Stones seems to be up for debate but to be fair, Smalling is more versatile and has much more international experience.

Can't see anything wrong with taking Fat Frank.  Who are you going to bring on to change the game? Welbeck? England woefully short in options off the bench so for me, Frank is a must. England need a goal, 10 mins left on the clock - no-one better to go get us one!