watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Have we forgotten about Marcello?

Started by Peabody, May 12, 2014, 07:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Allen Crankshaw

He apparently wants to stay at Brentford so we should give him the chance. He was successful with Brentford and Wycombe but his Championship stint with Watford didn't go well at all.

Neil D

Get rid - after all he only features in a rubbish outfit like the Italy U21 side and clearly past his best now...

MJG

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on May 13, 2014, 06:01:43 AM
He apparently wants to stay at Brentford so we should give him the chance. He was successful with Brentford and Wycombe but his Championship stint with Watford didn't go well at all.
Ahhh the old ' He was poo at Watford' line.

When players go on loan its a bit of a lottery, especially when so young. Watford was over 2 years ago when he was 19, it was a month and only made one appearance. Hardly a ten game scoreless streak was it?

Lets be honest, unless you have been going to Brentford (and yes we all know people who are fans, one lot will say hes great and another will say hes rubbish) we dont really know how well he has progressed.

He's different kind of striker to the others we have, he has about 70 games behind him now, which will set him up well for being a support striker in the championship possibly. As I said earlier I just dont understand the hate against him.

Craven Mad

I've never been convinced by him (low work rate, slow reading the game and no pace) but I thought I'd check-out a Brentford forum to gauge the view of those who watch him regularly, and maybe change my prejudices.

Here're a few excerpts:

"but would Trotta cut it at the next level? I have my doubts, hammer of a left peg but no pace, touch or aerial threat - although he may well improve."

"I don't think Trotta's the option, too inconsistent. F*lham will want him anyway I'd imagine."

"One of Trotta or Clayton for me - not both. I think we need to aim higher in the forward options."

Not full of praise.. But suggests he may not be the man to fire us back into the prem. IMO, not a disaster if we let him go.

MasterHaynes

We at least need to see what he can do in preseason, his competition at Fulham would be Dembele, both are out and out goalscorers and Trotta has experience and being older should be that bit stronger. It would be interesting to see these two compete against each other for a position in the team albeit mainly from the bench as I think Felix wants more from his forwards that start a game in terms of workrate and overall contribution to the shape of the team for the time they are on the pitch.

cmg

Poor old Marcello. Doesn't do a bloody thing.....apart from score goals.

How I'd love to see him come here next season and stick a few in the net. Win pretty or win ugly - winning would make a nice change.

cmg

There doesn't seem much basis (other than constant repetition) for the ideas that Trotta wants to stay at Brentford, nor that he thinks the support is better at Griffin Park (never having played in front of a full Craven Cottage crowd he isn't in a great position to make a comparison).

He said in March that he would stay at Brentford for the season in order to repay  the fans who had supported him. His only recent comment seems to have been that he would wait and see what happens after the season's end (which is about as close to a 'no comment' as you can get).

MJG

Quote from: Craven Mad on May 13, 2014, 08:37:29 AM
I've never been convinced by him (low work rate, slow reading the game and no pace) but I thought I'd check-out a Brentford forum to gauge the view of those who watch him regularly, and maybe change my prejudices.

Here're a few excerpts:

"but would Trotta cut it at the next level? I have my doubts, hammer of a left peg but no pace, touch or aerial threat - although he may well improve."

"I don't think Trotta's the option, too inconsistent. F*lham will want him anyway I'd imagine."

"One of Trotta or Clayton for me - not both. I think we need to aim higher in the forward options."

Not full of praise.. But suggests he may not be the man to fire us back into the prem. IMO, not a disaster if we let him go.
Out of interest how many times have you seen him play for Brentford this season?

I have seen him maybe 4 times this season, not enough to judge if he can make it or not at championship level. But know enough about him that he deserves pre season with the team.

Craven Mad

Quote from: MJG on May 13, 2014, 09:52:25 AM
Quote from: Craven Mad on May 13, 2014, 08:37:29 AM

Here're a few excerpts:

Out of interest how many times have you seen him play for Brentford this season?

I have seen him maybe 4 times this season, not enough to judge if he can make it or not at championship level. But know enough about him that he deserves pre season with the team.

Only twice. But as I said, that's why I hopped over to a Brentford message board to see what they had to say; I was hoping it would change my prejudice. I didn't want to post my views - which were formed <1 year ago - without gauging the views of those who actually watch him play. The quotes I found weren't cherry-picked, that was all of them.

Having read what they have to say, I'd rather Cauley & Dembele to Trotta. If we're looking for a good L1 goalscorer, we should sell Marcello to Brentford (mainly because his value will be highest now, and his contract ends next summer), then use the money to buy Jay Emmanuel Thomas from Bristol (who I've  watched regularly this year).

But, if we don't get a decent offer, I wouldn't be disappointed to see him here next year.

DutchCottager

We are not lacking stikers, that's for sure. Having Woodrow, Dembele, Tankovic (who is probably going to leave), Mitroglou (same as Tankovic), Rodallega and Trotta coming back.

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: Voice from the New Rd on May 12, 2014, 08:51:56 PM
Quote from: Peabody on May 12, 2014, 07:14:34 PM
Will we take Trotta back, do we need him?

The more free strikers the better in my opinion

he wont want to come back to you lot.....he's seen the light and will be plying his trade in TW8 next season....he's already put on record that the support at griffin park is far better than at CC  ;)

He's under contract for another 12 months so unless you lot stump up a couple of £million you haven't got then he's back in the big time.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

twang

I know others won't agree, but I'd be very happy if Magath goes for a 4-4-2 formation next season and Rodallega, Trotta, Woodrow and Dembele fights for the two striker positions. I think that would have us well covered.

I'm convinced that Hugo will be a star in the Championship.
Trotta has been one of the top players in a team that got promoted from the division below, so he could very well be ready to make the step up.
If Woodrow can add goals to his very fine all-round game then he'll be a great asset.
Dembele probably has the biggest potential of them all, and will hopefully be ready to make some kind of contribution next season.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: twang on May 13, 2014, 11:44:20 AM
I know others won't agree, but I'd be very happy if Magath goes for a 4-4-2 formation next season and Rodallega, Trotta, Woodrow and Dembele fights for the two striker positions. I think that would have us well covered.

I'm convinced that Hugo will be a star in the Championship.
Trotta has been one of the top players in a team that got promoted from the division below, so he could very well be ready to make the step up.
If Woodrow can add goals to his very fine all-round game then he'll be a great asset.
Dembele probably has the biggest potential of them all, and will hopefully be ready to make some kind of contribution next season.

Deffo the way in the championship. Burnley and Leicester both promoted this year playing 4-4-2.

TWFL

My thoughts on Trotta is give him a go. Done well at most levels thus far, lets see if he can make the step up to the Championship.

Oh and whilst we're forgetting people, what's happened with Tank? I really want him to stay next season, he will be a different class in the future.

The Rock

Quote from: Scrumpy on May 12, 2014, 09:55:51 PM
For Trotta's sake, I hope he makes the move to Brentford. He's playing fairly regularly there and from what I have seen (on the TV a couple of times) he is not as good as Woodrow. Dembele is a different beast, and certainly a better goal poacher. At most, Trotta would get the odd appearance from the bench.

We need to be aiming higher and signing at least one Charlie Austin, Jordan Rhodes, type player.

Agreed. He was never good enough for us and unless he's vastly improved, would think we need someone a step above him if we mean business about getting promoted.

Deanothefulhamfan

Tankovic refused to talk about a contract extension, and was frozen out..... he will be gone at the end of may