Nick Bateman

I had no idea Magath had 'knockers'....
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

God The Mechanic

Quote from: jmh on May 30, 2014, 04:56:09 PM
Quote from: blingo on May 29, 2014, 08:03:04 PM
Quote from: jmh on May 29, 2014, 05:44:10 PM
Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on May 29, 2014, 10:39:56 AM
But, on average, better players make better managers, purely because they have the experience of higher quality football, better players, better facilities etc etc etc. Which they then try and bring to the players they coach.
Do you have any evidence to back this up?

Pep Guardiola?
Well great, that's one guy, but the claim wasn't that some good players make good managers, the claim was that "on average, better players make better managers".  One example doesn't prove a general statement any more than I would be disproving it if I were to name one guy for whom the opposite is the case.

There's little correlation imo - for every Pep you have a Maradona.  Wenger was hardly an amazing player, Mourinho wasn't either, AVB, Roy in our case.  Pele didn't become a manager afaik, Cruyff on the other hand was vital to Barca and Ajax.  Van Basten is still under review.  They more often than not offer different things - ex players may be more coaching whilst non-players more mental.

cmg

Quote from: God The Mechanic on May 30, 2014, 07:55:58 PM

- ex players may be more coaching whilst non-players more mental.

Well, Maradona was certainly a player - and you can't get more mental than him.

God The Mechanic

Nero

So what about Brian McDermott got Championship experience that everyone want    086.gif

Logicalman

Quote from: Admin on May 29, 2014, 10:57:38 AM
Quote from: Nero on May 29, 2014, 10:28:09 AM
thats kinda doesnt matter, Terry Buthcer was a good centre half - crap manager, Bryan Robson good player - crap manager, Ferguson Crap player great amanger, Wenger crap player great manager.

I'm not a Magath knocker but it doesn't matter what he did as a player, it what he does as a manager that counts and his CV looks the part.

Well that's alright then as he has 3 Bundesliga titles, 2 cups and 4 great escapes.

Pity it wasn't 5 Great Escapes then!! :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on May 29, 2014, 10:39:56 AM
Quote from: Nero on May 29, 2014, 10:28:09 AM
thats kinda doesnt matter, Terry Buthcer was a good centre half - crap manager, Bryan Robson good player - crap manager, Ferguson Crap player great amanger, Wenger crap player great manager.

Im not a Magath knocker but it doesnt matter what he did as a player, it what he does as a manager that counts and his CV looks the part.

But, on average, better players make better managers, purely because they have the experience of higher quality football, better players, better facilities etc etc etc. Which they then try and bring to the players they coach.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

I'll name Dalglish, Shearer & our very own Roy then. Which of those were both?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.