Main Menu

"6+5" Rule Scrapped

Started by White Noise, June 10, 2010, 02:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8733164.stm

Fifa scraps plans for 'home-grown' player rule 

Fifa boss Sepp Blatter has dropped the '6+5' plan

Fifa has said it will scrap plans for a minimum of six "home-grown" players in clubs' starting line-ups.

The so-called "6+5" rule had been expected to be brought in by 2012 but has now been abandoned.

Football's world governing body, at its congress in South Africa ahead of the World Cup kick-off, said it will now look at "other eligibility" options.

BBC Sport understands the European Commission said such a proposal would contravene EU labour laws.

From next season, the Premier League will bring in a system where there must be eight home-grown players in squad of 25.

Also at the congress in Johannesburg, Fifa president Sepp Blatter said he would seek another term of office next year.

"I have not yet completed my mission as president of Fifa, I am motivated to go for another term," said the 74-year-old Swiss who has held the post since 1998.

He was then interrupted by applause from delegates before adding: "Thank you for your confidence. I would like to say we will go for it together. I am ready, you are ready."

Delegates also decided to keep an age limit of 23 with three over-age players permitted per team for the London 2012 Olympic football tournament.

There had been pressure from clubs to make it an under-21 competition.

But the International Olympic Committee warned that any change could affect the number of teams allowed in the event.

Barcelona and German sides Werder Bremen and Schalke all won a ruling in 2008 against being forced to released their players for the Beijing Games.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled as the Olympics was not on Fifa's international calendar, the clubs were not obliged to release the players.

finnster01

I have been arguing on this forum many times over that this is completely illegal under EU labor laws and would end with with more egg on the face for FIFA a la Bosman.

What kind of planet does Blatter live on, and more importantly, what kind of moron solicitors do they use at FIFA? I wonder how much money they have wasted on something that could never fly in the first place.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Rupert

I admire the fact that the delegates felt compelled to interrupt his speech with applause, proves he's got them well under control. He probably had someone watching to see which one was the first to stop clapping, so he will now know who his next enemy is and can eliminate him before he gains enough power to be a threat.

Do you think Sepp owns a white, long-haired cat?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.