watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: English National Anthem - Merged

Started by Neil D, June 02, 2014, 01:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

The band should play and the players should pretend to sing "Land of Hope and Glory." THAT's the English National Anthem. "G.S.T.Q" is the BRITISH national anthem. England's squad isn't representing Wales or Northern Ireland any more than it's representing Canada, New Zealand or Ibiza in July.

I've never figured out why you guys can't get that straight.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

Quote from: Burt on June 02, 2014, 05:48:01 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on June 02, 2014, 05:20:58 PM
Quote from: Burt on June 02, 2014, 05:02:49 PM
Each to their own...

However, I am a very patriotic person, proud of the country and it would be a privelege to wear the England shirt. Personally I would sing my heart out, Stuart Pearce style!

I feel that this sentiment should be echo'd by all the various nations.

Absolutely.

I find it disgraceful when any fans from any nation start booing the national anthem of any other nation.

You should attend a US v Mexico game in Los Angeles. Its disgusting.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Rupert

Quote from: HatterDon on June 02, 2014, 09:04:33 PM
The band should play and the players should pretend to sing "Land of Hope and Glory." THAT's the English National Anthem. "G.S.T.Q" is the BRITISH national anthem. England's squad isn't representing Wales or Northern Ireland any more than it's representing Canada, New Zealand or Ibiza in July.

So, can you explain why your lot constantly refer to the UK as England?
:HD:
I agree that we should use Land of Hope and Glory, though given the struggle the average player seems to have with God Save the Queen's relatively simple lyrics, maybe it would be a bad move.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

HatterDon

Quote from: Rupert on June 02, 2014, 09:25:10 PM

So, can you explain why your lot constantly refer to the UK as England?
:HD:
I agree that we should use Land of Hope and Glory, though given the struggle the average player seems to have with God Save the Queen's relatively simple lyrics, maybe it would be a bad move.

We don't, although many of us do confuse Austria with Australia.

The lyrics were a lot easier "in my day."

We hate Nottingham forest
We hate Liverpool too [AND IPSWICH]
etcetera

Logicalman

Each to their own...

However, I am a very patriotic person, proud of the country and it would be a privelege to wear the England shirt. Personally I would sing my heart out, Stuart Pearce style!

Totally agree. It annoys me when I am anywhere that the national anthem is played (US or UK) and I see their nationals taking no notice at all, appearing to show no respect or interest.

Whenever I am watching and/or in attendance at a match/event where either the US or UK anthems are played, I stand up and put my hand over my heart. I am a naturalized American now, but my pride stays with England as well, and as long as the decision is to keep the current anthem as it is, then that is what I salute to, my Country (OK then Countries) - yeah, I even know the words to both.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

HatterDon

Quote from: Logicalman on June 03, 2014, 12:00:30 AM
Each to their own...

Totally agree. It annoys me when I am anywhere that the national anthem is played (US or UK) and I see their nationals taking no notice at all, appearing to show no respect or interest.

Whenever I am watching and/or in attendance at a match/event where either the US or UK anthems are played, I stand up and put my hand over my heart. I am a naturalized American now, but my pride stays with England as well, and as long as the decision is to keep the current anthem as it is, then that is what I salute to, my Country (OK then Countries) - yeah, I even know the words to both.

I agree wholeheartedly. I've stood at attention perhaps a thousand times for God Save the Queen, and have also done for the national anthems of Greece, West Germany, France, South Vietnam, and the Philippines. I didn't ever agree with everything the leaders of these countries did, but I was raised to show respect where it was due. And, you know, I never felt like I was compromising my political views or my personal dignity by doing so.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: alfie on June 02, 2014, 05:00:31 PM
Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on June 02, 2014, 03:19:54 PM
Lets be honest, players like Rooney struggle to read, so we'd have to invest in a few audible books to get them to sing it.
Plus, why should they be FORCED to shoe their pride? I'd do it for a lot less money. Its pretty poor in my opinion.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

I am sorry but this is just down right rude, why is it necessary to make comments like this about Rooney, what an earth do you know of his academic qualities or indeed lack of them.
By all means have ago at him about his football if you don't like it, but no need to get personal.

To be fair he doesn't come across as the most intelligent of people. I think you have taken this way too personally. I doubt rooney cares that much about insults on a fulham forum as he goes to collect his 250,000 a week wages.

It wasn't as if he called a fof member stupid. Unless your hoping rooney follows this forum and your trying to make him like fulham enough to sign and play for free? In that case I like your thinking, if not the case then get over it.

players should sing the anthem regardless of whether they like the queen or not. Singing with pride is a symbol of your pride and honour of representing your country. If your're not man enough to sing like it.means something to you, then go away and play for someone else.

(Moderated for swearing)
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

absent cottager

Couldn't they sing the sex pistols version? That would solve it... Most toffee nose nobility wouldn't notice and it's got more passion behind it anyhow...

alfie

Totally agree with you here Mr HD. I have been saying for years that GSTQ should not be played when it is just England, equally the Union Jack should not be displayed, the Red cross of St.George is the English flag.

I think GSTQ and the UJ are great when we perform as Gt.Britain as in the Olympics, but not when it is just England.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Macedo

Quote from: alfie on June 03, 2014, 08:14:22 AM

Totally agree with you here Mr HD. I have been saying for years that GSTQ should not be played when it is just England, equally the Union Jack should not be displayed, the Red cross of St.George is the English flag.

I think GSTQ and the UJ are great when we perform as Gt.Britain as in the Olympics, but not when it is just England.

Correct...Thats why the Scots and Welsh boo when its being played.
They are not booing the Anthem or the Royals (they are more popular in Scotland
than down South)
They are booing because its not Englands anthem to use, its the
Anthem of the Union and the Commenwealth.
The Rugby side used to use Swing Low Sweet Chariot a few years ago
if im right.

Macedo

I think this topic needs to be locked now before it becomes political and
all that nonsense.
Lets concentrate about Fulham FC And the best way to get them back to the
Premier..

PokerMatt

Maybe they don't agree with the monarchy? I for one would back their decision if they don't want to support such an outdated and unjust notion such as being born into power and riches.

EDIT: I would probably sing it anyway as a sense of pride as it does well me up when I see our athletes on the podium. I'd just like one that doesn't glorify the queen, as the royal family are unnecessary except maybe for tourism.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Logicalman

Quote from: Macedo on June 03, 2014, 08:33:15 AM
Quote from: alfie on June 03, 2014, 08:14:22 AM

Correct...Thats why the Scots and Welsh boo when its being played.
They are not booing the Anthem or the Royals (they are more popular in Scotland
than down South)
They are booing because its not Englands anthem to use, its the
Anthem of the Union and the Commenwealth.
The Rugby side used to use Swing Low Sweet Chariot a few years ago
if im right.

Ahh, the only reason they sang that was so we could all do the actions whilst singing!!

I have always believed Jerusalem, I vow to Thee My Country or Land of Hope & Glory, to be the top three candidates for the English National Anthem. The first two I had played at my wedding in the US.

I Vow to Thee, My Country

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.
I heard my country calling, away across the sea,
Across the waste of waters she calls and calls to me.
Her sword is girded at her side, her helmet on her head,
And round her feet are lying the dying and the dead.
I hear the noise of battle, the thunder of her guns,
I haste to thee my mother, a son among thy sons.
And there's another country, I've heard of long ago,
Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
And her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace.

Quote from: cmg on June 02, 2014, 01:39:33 PM
Quote from: Neil D on June 02, 2014, 01:07:02 PM
.  Why can't we have an English anthem which isn't a forelock-tugging homily to the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family?  Jerusalem does it for me and I'm an atheist.

After all, what could be more English than a song named after the strife-torn and disputed capital of a foreign nation?

Not too certain it was named after the modern day City, rather than what the City originally stood for so many millennia ago..
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Neil D

Quote from: PokerMatt on June 03, 2014, 09:45:11 AM
I'd just like one that doesn't glorify the queen, as the royal family are unnecessary except maybe for tourism.
I'm with you on the first point.  As for the part about tourism - that's what royalists would have us believe but Windsor Castle - the top royal attraction for visitor numbers - comes 24th in terms of visitor numbers.  Just ahead of of Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum (Glasgow)...

cmg

Quote from: Logicalman on June 03, 2014, 12:50:53 PM

Quote from: cmg on June 02, 2014, 01:39:33 PM
Quote from: Neil D on June 02, 2014, 01:07:02 PM
.  Why can't we have an English anthem which isn't a forelock-tugging homily to the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family?  Jerusalem does it for me and I'm an atheist.

After all, what could be more English than a song named after the strife-torn and disputed capital of a foreign nation?

Not too certain it was named after the modern day City, rather than what the City originally stood for so many millennia ago..

I feel sure you're right. I'd say Blake was longing for a, probably non-existent, Utopia before the coming of the 'dark, satanic mills. But who knows with this guy? Visionary, radical almost anarchistic sometimes, incredibly multi-talented but very, very complex. Gives me an excuse to submit one of my favourites. Blake's view of my city couldn't be described as rose-tinted:

London
BY WILLIAM BLAKE
I wander thro' each charter'd street,
Near where the charter'd Thames does flow.
And mark in every face I meet
Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

In every cry of every Man,
In every Infants cry of fear,
In every voice: in every ban,
The mind-forg'd manacles I hear

How the Chimney-sweepers cry
Every blackning Church appalls,
And the hapless Soldiers sigh
Runs in blood down Palace walls

But most thro' midnight streets I hear
How the youthful Harlots curse
Blasts the new-born Infants tear
And blights with plagues the Marriage hearse

BigbadBillyMcKinley

The players don't sing the national anthem. Why not?

Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Jamie88

Our fans make a hell of an effort to sing out of rhythm though!

leonffc

Get over it.
I'm bored stiff of this debate. Yes, its great to see a whole team roaring out their anthem, usually the baltic states and the like but there was about one Argentinian singing it in the last World cup (I deliberately looked due to the uproar at our players). It didn't do them too much harm!
Some people / players aren't comfortable singing in public, especially when there is a camera shoved in their face as it moves along the line, picking up how out of tune they are.
The bottom line is, they are footballers (how ever good we deem them to be), not Xfactor hopefuls.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: leonffc on June 05, 2014, 06:11:24 AM
Get over it.
I'm bored stiff of this debate. Yes, its great to see a whole team roaring out their anthem, usually the baltic states and the like but there was about one Argentinian singing it in the last World cup (I deliberately looked due to the uproar at our players). It didn't do them too much harm!
Some people / players aren't comfortable singing in public, especially when there is a camera shoved in their face as it moves along the line, picking up how out of tune they are.
The bottom line is, they are footballers (how ever good we deem them to be), not Xfactor hopefuls.

I'd be more than happy to over look the lack on singing if they preform at a high standard........guess I'll focus on the singing then.

Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Berserker

I agree BBBillyMc. Sing, don't sing, just bxxxxxy play a good game
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.