Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (04/06/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 03, 2014, 06:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham striker submits transfer request

Trotta keen to quit Craven Cottage this summer to secure long-term future

Uncertain future: Fulham frontman Marcello Trotta has put in a transfer request

Fulham striker Marcello Trotta has submitted a transfer request in a bid to force a move away from Craven Cottage.

The Italian U21 international scored 13 goals in 40 games during a successful season-long loan spell with Brentford as they won promotion to the Championship.

Bees boss Mark Warburton wants to sign Trotta on a permanent basis, but the 21-year-old still has another 12 months remaining on his contract with the Whites.

Cottagers chief Felix Magath has promised an injection of youth into his squad next season following relegation from the Premier League.

Trotta is unsure whether he figures in the German manager's plans, but has been ordered to report back to pre-season training with the rest of the squad.

However, the former Napoli youngster has told Fulham chiefs he wants to quit SW6, with a number of clubs monitoring his situation closely.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-striker-marcello-trotta-submits-7207364?

WhiteJC

Crawley Friendly Confirmed

The Club can announce a pre-season friendly fixture against Crawley Town at the Checkatrade.com Stadium.

Fulham will face the Sky Bet League One outfit on Saturday 19th July, kick-off 3pm.

Tickets will be priced at £10 for adults, £5 for under-18s and over-65s, and £1 for under-11s.

On sale dates will be announced in due course.

The Red Devils finished the 2013/14 campaign in 14th place in League One under the stewardship of former Aston Villa and Queens Park Rangers boss John Gregory.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/june/03/crawley-friendly-confirmed?

WhiteJC

Senderos Dilemma!

As the world awaits the start of the 2014 World Cup, over in Brazil, one of our former players is in a strange situation.

Philippe Senderos, who after four years at Craven Cottage somehow wrangled a move to Valencia (don`t ask me how), is with the Switzerland squad.

However Senderos is in a predicament which could see him rapidly leave the Swiss base to fly home.

It transpires that his wife, Sara, is about to give birth and an early arrival could see Senderos leave his Swiss team-mates in the lurch to fly to be by her side.

Talking about the subject, Senderos is quoted as having remarked,

"I can only pray that the baby arrives once I am home from Brazil."

Priorities, priorities my good man, World Cups only come along every four years, babies can, quite possibly, be on a nine month cycle!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=360394#ixzz33bCpr7RJ

WhiteJC

Heitinga Heading for Germany?

The Fulham career of one Johnny Heitinga was but a short one.

The Dutch defender joined us, from Everton, in January and as a result of Fulham Football Club suffering the indignity of being relegated to the Championship, was one of those players released, from their contracts, in May.

Left out of the Dutch World Cup squad for the forthcoming finals in Brazil, Heitinga is on the lookout for a new club.

Here at Vital Fulham, we understand that the 30 year-old versatile defender has held talks with the German side, Hertha Berlin.

We`ll endeavour to report further if any further news is forthcoming on this particular subject.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=360396#ixzz33bD2EKNh

WhiteJC

Hangeland Departs

Fulham Football Club has today announced that it has released Brede Hangeland.

The 32-year-old joined the Whites in January 2008 as Roy Hodgson's first signing and made an instant impact, helping the Club achieve Premier League survival in the season which became known as 'The Great Escape'.

Hangeland went on to make 272 appearances for Fulham, including turning out 16 times on our memorable run to the 2010 UEFA Europa League Final.

The Club would like to thank Brede for his six-and-a-half years of committed service and wishes him the very best in all of his future endeavours.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/june/03/hangeland-departs?

WhiteJC

Ghana midfielder Derek Boateng joins Spanish club Rayo Vallecano

Ghana midfielder Derek Boateng has joined Spanish club Rayo Vallecano to bring to an end his woeful stay in England with Fulham, GHANAsoccernet.com can exclusively reveal.

Details of the deal remain concealed as the Madrid-based club prepare to unveil their new signing at a later date.

Boateng is determined to get his club career back on track following a woeful one-year stay at relegated Fulham where he signed a two-year deal from Ukrainian side FC Dnipro at the beginning of the 2013'14 season.

This means the Black Stars midfielder probably cancelled his existing contract with the Cottagers in order to finalize his move to Rayo.

The 31-year-old refuses to give into suggestions he is past his best and would want to prove himself once more again in the Spanish top flight.

Boateng confirmed the move by Tweeting: "I just signed a contract with @RVMOficial [Rayo Vallecano]! Thanks to club, my agent and everyone who supported me."

The ex AIK and Cologne man has now joined his 10th club since first moving to Europe in 1999.

He will be the second Ghanaian to play for Rayo – following the exploits of Mohammed Abu in the 2012/13 season.

Boateng made just three appearances for Fulham in the just ended season which ultimately cost him a place in the Ghana squad for the 2014 World Cup.

The talented midfielder was part of the Black Stars squad for their previous two World Cup appearances in Germany and South African in 2006 and 2010 respectively.

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/breaking-news-ghana-midfielder-derek-boateng-joins-spanish-club-rayo-vallecano/?

WhiteJC

Hangeland hurt by Fulham exit

Norway defender Brede Hangeland was "immensely disappointed" to learn Fulham were terminating his contract via e-mail rather than in personal discussions following their relegation from the Barclays Premier League.

Norway defender Brede Hangeland was "immensely disappointed" to learn Fulham were terminating his contract via e-mail rather than in personal discussions following their relegation from the Barclays Premier League.

Hangeland, 32, is the latest confirmed departure from Craven Cottage as manager Felix Magath prepares for life in the Sky Bet Championship.

Midfielders Damien Duff and Steve Sidwell have been released, along with Giorgos Karagounis, Mahamadou Diarra and John Arne Riise.

Hangeland joined from FC Copenhagen in January 2008 and made 272 appearances for Fulham, including their run to the 2010 UEFA Europa League final under Roy Hodgson.

The veteran defender was still under contract having agreed a two-year extension in 2013 and as club captain felt there should have been more dialogue.

"Today I received the news that Fulham Football Club have chosen to terminate my contract with immediate effect," he said in a statement released his representative Jon Morland

"I was told of this decision via e-mail, without anyone from the club having met me beforehand to discuss my contract or my future with the club.

"After six-and-a-half years of hard work and loyalty, and having served the last few years as captain, I am immensely disappointed at how this was handled."

Hangeland added: "I would like to thank the amazing Fulham fans as these last few years have been the best of my football career. It was a source of pride to wear the white shirt at Craven Cottage.

"I believe I still have much to offer as a footballer and look forward to the next chapter in my career."

Fulham later responded to Hangeland's statement via Twitter.

"The Club would like to clarify that all personal protocol was followed and that Brede Hangeland was notified in the right way," a short statement said.

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/hangeland-hurt-by-fulham-exit-S11363908040423?

WhiteJC

Thank You: Saying Farewell to Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes
by CHRIS GILBERTSON on JUNE 3, 2014

With the news of Brede Hangeland's apparently callously handled release by email emerging this evening, it is easy to lose sight of the bigger picture. Tomorrow will be the time to question another mishandled episode in communication and a now unsurprisingly classless personnel manoeuvre; but for tonight, we must say farewell to a Fulham legend.

Brede is the latest in a cavalcade of players who have left SW6 with the minimal of fanfare. Like Aaron Hughes, who was given to Queens Park Rangers in January, Hangeland was offered no chance to say goodbye, no swansong and barely a eulogy.

As fans though, we will never forget the impact that these two men have had on our small corner of South West London. With over 500 appearances for Fulham between them, it will be some time before another player reaches those echelons.

When Hangeland joined in 2007, Fulham were a defensive liability. Brought in by Roy Hodgson from Danish side FC Copenhagen, Hangeland was immediately a revolutionary force for good. The partnership he instantly formed with Northern Irishman Hughes was one that will live long in the memory of Fulham fans. From the worst defence in the league, with these two stalwarts, we soon had one of the best.

As a symbol of the Roy era, Hangeland's time at Fulham will be remembered most for the success it brought with it. While the pain of this season's relegation will fade in time, Hangeland's greatest achievements in a Fulham shirt will live in our collective memory forever. Following the departure of Damian Duff last week, of the players that walked out onto the Hamburg pitch in the Europa League Final, Hangeland was the only one left before tonight. His goals against Roma and in Donetsk in our infamous run were the sort of towering headers we came to get used to at both ends from our talismanic Norwegian.

Aside from his imposing stature, intelligent defending and charming off-field persona, Hangeland was a leader. Never a conventional captain, Hangeland always led by example. His humble honesty seemed emblematic of Fulham as a club. Like predecessor Danny Murphy, he was someone we were always proud of, no matter performance or result.

Injuries hampered his performances over the past two seasons and time has been approaching for a changing of the guard to a new generation of Fulham defenders. However, we must never forget the insurmountable contribution made to Fulham's history by both Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes.

In writing this quick note, I have already committed more to the page than the 67 words afforded from Fulham to Hughes and the 97 to Hangeland. They deserve better, for they always gave Fulham their best.

For that, from all Fulham fans, thank you for everything Brede and Aaron.

COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/06/thank-you-saying-farewell-to-brede-hangeland-and-aaron-hughes/?

WhiteJC

Brede Hangeland axed by email as Crystal Palace express interest in ex-Fulham man
Cottagers show the door to captain after six-and-a-half years at the club
Experienced defender claims he was informed of his fate via email
Club claim they followed protocol and Hangeland was informed correctly
Crystal Palace lead the chase for the Norwegian's signature

Crystal Palace are among the clubs keen on Brede Hangeland after it emerged the defender was released by Fulham via email.

The departing captain had a year remaining on his deal at Craven Cottage but had his contract ripped up following relegation to the Premier League.

And Hangeland claims the west Londoners gave him no warning before cutting their ties short after six-and-a-half years of service while he was enjoying an off-season holiday in the Indian Ocean.

On his way: Brede Hangeland has been released by Fulham

'Today I received the news that Fulham has chosen to cancel my contract with the club with immediate effect,' he said, via adviser Jon Morland.

'I was notified of the decision via email, without anyone from the club meeting with me beforehand to discuss my contract or future at the club.

'After six-and-a-half years of loyal and hard work, the last years as captain, I am immensely disappointed by how this was handled.'

However, Fulham say the 32-year-old knew his fate before they made their announcement.

Hangeland is also understood to have ignored requests to get in touch with manager Felix Magath and was reluctant to commit to a future in the Championship in meetings held last month.

Head and shoulders above the rest: Stalwart Hangeland made 272 appearances for Fulham

The defender took time out of his holiday to thank Fulham's supporters, despite the disappointing nature of his departure from the club.

'I would like to thank the fantastic Fulham fans who I've got to spend the best years of my football career with.

'I have worn the white shirt with pride at Craven Cottage. I feel I still have much to give as a football player, and look forward to the next chapter in my career.'

The towering Norweigan centre-back had been linked with a move to Arsenal before signing a new three-year deal with the Cottagers in 2012 and Palace could offer him the chance to remain in the top flight now he is a free agent.

Highlight: Hangeland helped Fulham reach the Europa League final in 2010

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2647741/Brede-Hangeland-axed-email-Crystal-Palace-express-ex-Fulham-man.html#ixzz33dewtC25
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

The end of Brede Hangeland

This one's a real shame.

Hangeland wasn't like most footballers and it's no surprise to me that he's off.  He liked Fulham and all it stood for, until such a point as he didn't like Fulham and all it stood for, and now he's gone.

I suspect Hangeland was of the Moritz Volz school who appreciated football as a means to an end, a great way to earn a living and to earn money with which to cultivate interests, enjoy time with the family, travel the world, and so on.  Fulham was perfect for him in this sense: he earned super money, he wasn't under any great pressure, and he was a big fish in a small pond.

The big clubs craned their necks over the Motspur Park fence I'm sure, but their scouts would probably have worried about a man who even on his best days was slightly giraffic in approach, who wasn't great (and I mean that literally – he was really good at most of his job) on the turn and who couldn't really be used in the high defensive lines that are increasingly becoming en vogue.

He was very good at what he was good at though, namely being part of a well drilled back four and dominating in the air when required.  It should also be added that he and Aaron Hughes were a wonderful combination and never really functioned apart.  A few years ago I'd have gone back and counted how often they played together but those days are gone.  I shall instead be happy to say that they played a lot, I saw almost all of their games, and they were great.  Hughes was quick in recovery and quick to spot danger, and very adept at sweeping up anything that Hangeland hadn't dealt with first up.  They were simply perfect for Fulham, neither particularly liking the ball (I can well imagine Hangeland stepping out, looking up, then threading a pass 50 yards out for a goal kick), both particularly adept within the scheme Roy Hodgson concocted for them.

Hangeland had played for Hodgson before of course, sometimes as a defensive midfielder, and when Hodgson got the Fulham gig he took one look at Fulham's team and realised he needed height, and badly.  Hangeland came in and Fulham were instantly better.  He also brought something that the team needed, and in retrospect became the model for the Hodgson team: character, intelligence.  Hangeland is a bright man who is not obviously quick to anger, and that's more or less what Hodgson's team was about.  They didn't give away silly fouls, pick up silly cards; they played like grown-ups.  When I was researching the Roy book Erik Nevland told me that the team had absolutely been built like it was on purpose.  Hangeland embodied this spirit, this ethos.  People can say that he hasn't shone as captain but his leadership was quieter, substantial no doubt, and I'm sure effective.  If you played for this Fulham team he'd have been one of the big presences; he'd have been the one you wanted to impress.

After Hodgson left the defenders got a little big less protection.  Mark Hughes found a decent balance and someone in that coaching staff got in Hangeland's ear about attacking corners.  That season he was immense.  He didn't achieve anything like the success afterwards but I can still see him powering through the air like a second row forward, ready to head home.

The Jol years will look even worse in retrospect and our centre-backs of the period will want to forget every moment. Hangeland and Hughes had aged slightly, but also had to make do with Sascha Riether and John Arne Riise beside them, both more wing-backs than full-backs. They lost the patio door that was Dickson Etuhu, and after a brief Diarra-Dembele explosion had to settle for the Sidwell/Parker axis of doom, with various undefending wide-men too.  When they defended for Hodgson it was part of a unit of 11; under Jol you were looking at whoever might be arsed to retreat, often 11 again but the wrong side of the ball this time.  It meant the centre-backs couldn't now focus on building an inpenetrable line, but instead had to step out and meet onrushing players.  It was no way to defend, and I'm sure they were all miserable about it.

I doubt Hangeland will stick around in the UK now.  He has made serious money and I'd guess will see out a few years in Norway, before disappearing into normality.

When we look back on these glory years we'll conjure up all kinds of mental pictures, and our giant centre-back will be in most of them.

Seeya, Brede, and thanks for everything.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/06/03/the-end-of-brede-hangeland/?

In the Enclosure

Wow what a great summary White JC ! Absolutely sums up how things went. We needed a big guy to replace Dickson and two defending full backs but Jol didn't do it and that exposed Brede.
We were still a family club under Roy and integrity mattered - he signed decent people who bonded.

Lets hope Felix can do the same because we lost our way in the last couple of years and forgot that every game has to be fought tooth and nail in order for us to survive. We had become bloated and complacent with a massive back up staff that smacked of ' Having arrived in the big time '
Still think Hughes started it - A club our size is always going to have to build a team rather than draft in / pay stars.

MasterHaynes

Spot on summary, thanks for this a fitting epitaph to one of the best central defensive partnerships Fulham have had

WhiteJC

Quote from: In the Enclosure on June 04, 2014, 09:24:01 AM
Wow what a great summary White JC ! Absolutely sums up how things went. We needed a big guy to replace Dickson and two defending full backs but Jol didn't do it and that exposed Brede.
We were still a family club under Roy and integrity mattered - he signed decent people who bonded.

Lets hope Felix can do the same because we lost our way in the last couple of years and forgot that every game has to be fought tooth and nail in order for us to survive. We had become bloated and complacent with a massive back up staff that smacked of ' Having arrived in the big time '
Still think Hughes started it - A club our size is always going to have to build a team rather than draft in / pay stars.

not me, far too eloquent  :dft011: , it was Rich from Craven Cottage Newsround, he's written a book about Roy...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roy-Hodgson-Football-biography-Englands-ebook/dp/B00KC13D2E/ref=pd_ybh_11

HatterDon

Quote from: WhiteJC on June 03, 2014, 06:41:42 PM

Senderos Dilemma!

As the world awaits the start of the 2014 World Cup, over in Brazil, one of our former players is in a strange situation.

Philippe Senderos, who after four years at Craven Cottage somehow wrangled a move to Valencia (don`t ask me how), is with the Switzerland squad.

However Senderos is in a predicament which could see him rapidly leave the Swiss base to fly home.

It transpires that his wife, Sara, is about to give birth and an early arrival could see Senderos leave his Swiss team-mates in the lurch to fly to be by her side.

Talking about the subject, Senderos is quoted as having remarked,

"I can only pray that the baby arrives once I am home from Brazil."

Priorities, priorities my good man, World Cups only come along every four years, babies can, quite possibly, be on a nine month cycle!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=360394#ixzz33bCpr7RJ

How long is this garbage going to continue to be spewed. Yes, he's going to Brazil and will be playing in La Liga next season. Obviously everyone in the football world is an idiot.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel