watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Klinsman's tactics

Started by YankeeJim, June 08, 2014, 08:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

I only caught the second half of the Nigeria match but saw a somewhat different team. Not sure of the formation. Sort of a bucket with a double bottom' two defensive mids in Beckerman and Jones with Bradley basically as an attacking mid. Jozy was a beast and Clint was at his sneaky best. What I thought at the time was "how are we getting so many into the attack?". With that, I felt the back four would step on its own feet. However, Beckerman almost always cut off the attack IF it got by Jones. I'm no fan of Jones but he had a very strong match. Perhaps Klinsman is getting to the lads.

Then, this morning I stumbled across this:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/with-his-eye-on-the-world-cup-soccer-coach-jurgen-klinsmann-overhauls-team-usa-1401899734?mod=WSJ_article_EditorsPicks

The writer doesn't seem to be a soccer guy but its a pretty good analysis of Jurgen's goals with the team. Check it out and lets hear your comments. It has improved my outlook about this cup. I just hope it doesn't turn out like Villa away.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Forever Fulham

My initial impressions were very positive.  Some of the best short passing in heavy traffic I've ever seen from the men's team.  They swarmed the Nigerians deep.  When a Nigerian player just received a ball but hadn't yet had that extra split second to bring it under control, nearby U.S. players would jump in and try to strip him of possession. Before he could turn with it.  Before he could look up and see someone to one touch it to.  And they succeeded over and over again, prying that ball away and immediately rushing toward goal with it.  The Nigerians started to look shell shocked from all of the pressing.  The U.S. team created more possessions for itself than I've seen in a long time. 

I expect African teams to be fleet of foot, but didn't the U.S. team look every bit as fast to you?  Didn't they actually look far fitter and faster? 

Wasn't crazy about Bedoya, though.  Some sloppy inaccurate passing.

We can talk about formations, but to me the real story was the high pressure defending, especially in the final third and in the midfield, and how successful they were at it.  More than that, they were anticipating the passing lanes and jumping into them just as the besieged Nigerian was getting rid of the ball.  Courageous inventive short passing in the middle without a lot of long balls from the side.  German style only in the sense of the speed of the counter attacks.  But not German in the clever build up and ball possession.  Almost no back passing.  Maybe that's a reflection of the manager. 

Logicalman

Totally agree FF, overall a good performance and looking good for next week.  Bedoya wasn't fully up to par, but there were a couple of others as well that might need a little polishing, Johnson had a good game but some of his passing was definitely suspect - great run for the goal though.

I liked Bradley/Jones/Beckerman midfield - linked up well and were not afraid to push up, as did Beasley, to great effect. Who subbed for Beasley? Was a little slow off the mark a few times, needs to get Beasleys pace.

Front line was good, always running, pushing and willing to take on the shot. Howard wasn't exactly called upon to do anything but stop a couple of training shots in the main, but that's down to an organized defence.

Overall, totally loved seeing the new formation, tactics and fitness, inspired for the coming WCF. I hope the Klinsmann detractors will admit he has made some good changes, and its promising.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

YankeeJim

Timmy Chandler was the replacement for DaBeaz. Beasley is my favorite player. I wish he weighed more than 95 lbs but he bounces back up like a spring and is a smart if not terribly gifted player.
As to the pace of the US team: I thought they certainly were quicker than Nigeria and certainly fitter. There was one spot near the end where Bradley was part of the attack which lost the ball. Nigeria made a quick counter & with his team up 2 nil he tracked backed 60-70 yards to break up the attack. He has a engine that exceeds Sidders and comes as close to Frankie Heyduk as anyone I have ever seen. I do feel a bit more confident, ah hopeful than I was prior to the match

I believe that Zusi will start over Bedoya, especially against CR. He seems to handle the defensive issues better and has a bit more pace. Gonzales is just plain over his head at the international level so lets hope that Cameron & Besler can handle it. If not, I think I prefer the unknown with Brooks rather than the Gonzales accident waiting to happen.

My last point other than Jozy, Clint & Bradley looked great, is that Beckerman just seems to make the defense better. I like the double defensive mids. Beckerman can essentially be a sweeper or 5th defender and Jones can play as a holding midfielder.

Logicalman

Hey Jim, check ur emails mate.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Forever Fulham

I agree with all of the above.   BTW, Beasley did something that stuck with me after the game had ended.  A Nigerian player was down, injured, on the ground late in the second half.  Beasley went over to help him up and say a kind word.  Nothing all that much, really, in the great scheme of things.  This was, after all, an international friendly.  But it got me thinking how rare that behaviour has become.  The Nigerian player seemed surprised by it. 

Also, you're sure right about Bradley.  It's like he's got an extra motor in him.  And a special shout out to Jermaine Jones for some great play.  Well done.

I still say we need Donovan, and maybe the Nigerians weren't in great playing shape, and that might have made the U.S. team look better than it really is.  But no one can deny the real improvement in passing, off the ball movement, and pressure defending. 

YankeeJim

Nigeria is the African champion and should be use to the heat. If they are not fit now, they won't be for the WC at all.

DaBeaz is a class act. Always has been. You can't doubt his effort or his commitment to team play and he'll surprise you with a quick first step or acceleration that has turned into a goal on many an occasion.

love4ffc

Busy weekend but I did get to watch the game with my son.  Commentators said that Howard had spent the week with the defense getting them tight and compressed.  Definitely looked like a different defense from the first two warm-ups.  They worked well until the last 20 minutes when they changed out the defensive players.  That was a reckless challenge by Matt Besler in the box. 

As for the formation Jurgen Claims that formations are dead and a thing of the past.  That free flowing soccer is the way to go with players interchanging positions.   Though Jurgen does love the diamond in the middle and Bradley looked great playing the attacking mid.  Beckerman looked like poo and made several careless mistakes.  Shame cause I really like Beckerman and hope he has a great WC. 

With the defense being so compact and firing on all cylinders it allowed for great breakaways down the right side and through the middle.  Hope to see more of this style of play in WC. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?