https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR The Hammersmith Appollo

Started by Peabody, June 10, 2014, 04:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on June 11, 2014, 08:14:30 PM
Quote from: Peabody on June 11, 2014, 08:02:18 PM
Yup, I remember the horse trough, just by the Metropolitan Line Station. (Now The Hammersmith and City).

I believe the very first live act on stage at The Gaumont/Odeon was Buddy Holly and The Crickets, my favourites, that was in 1958 and I was away in Cyprus doing my National Service.

That horse trough became quite famous.
Does anyone remember the old eccentric who used to sit beside it fishing.
When people, particularly tourists came up and asked "OK how many you caught today then"
He used to look up and reply  "You're the third"

That was me!!!

millsy

Saw Quo at The Greyhound early days. Nearly took the roof off!

bill taylors apprentice

My late father worked at the Gaumont/Odeon Hammersmith as a Projectionist about the time it changed its name in the early 60's. He also did the lighting during the stage shows.
He took me to work regularly during the school holidays and I had the run of the place during the mornings while he was setting things up for the day.
I remember seeing the Beatles live when they did 3 weeks of shows in about 64.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

That was me!!!
[/quote]

I don't believe you, that would make you about 120 and as far as  know you're not Chinese,
if you were your name would be..........

爷爷
Yéyé     

not Grandad.

Caught you out  Eh ?
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Kent Cassandra

How many of you went to the Hammersmith Palais in your drainpipes and winkle pickers?
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

CorkedHat

Quote from: Kent Cassandra on June 12, 2014, 01:29:11 AM
How many of you went to the Hammersmith Palais in your drainpipes and winkle pickers?

You beat me to it KC. The Hammersmith Palais was where it all happened. Drainpipes, winkle pickers and a DA haircut, I was the dog's balls. When I wasn't there I was gracing my presence at the Two I's in Old Compton Street - Tommy Steele and Wee Willy Harris who was built like a brick outhouse and sang like one too - and The Marquee up the road which gave a start to so many  wannabes who are world famous today. There was another joint in Carnaby Street that I went to on a few occasions but I can't remember its name now. Come to think about it, I couldn't remember its name then either!
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Twig

Quote from: Peabody on June 11, 2014, 12:19:35 PM
Quote from: Twig on June 11, 2014, 12:13:26 PM
Quote from: Peabody on June 10, 2014, 04:55:25 PM
Who can remember when the Appollo was The Guamont, even before it was The Hammersmith Odeon? That was before they built the flyover and just over the road was another cinema called The Broadway.?

You can tell I'm getting bored can't you?

My grandparents lived close by in Shortlands Mews.  Half of which (their side) was pulled down to build a Hotel (can't remember the name).  The houses were typical working class homes but these days those that remain are worth a fortune.

On the music related theme, my favourite venue was the Roundhouse when it was Middle Earth each Sunday.
There was also a good pub venue (an upstairs room) in a pub off Tottenham Court Rd very close to Goodge Street Stn. I remember seeing East of Eden, Caravan and a band called Mandrake Paddle Steamer there.   Anyone remember the name?

Shortlands was in Great Church Lane, which was demolished and replaced by The Flyover and A4

Sorry Peabody but on this one you are wrong.  Shortlands still exists and is to the rear of a Novotel.  The East side of the original street of terraced houses still stands but the west side was demolished and that was where my family lived.

Peabody

Sorry, yes you are right, there were lots of streets on Great Church Lane, which ended at the Red Cow and the posh St Pails School

Logicalman

Just listening to an old album 'The Hoople' by Mott the Hoople, and this track came on, reminded me of this thread, and those days of yoof.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRxIM7mkK-o

Anyone remember the Winning Post down Twickenham? I seem to recall Grab-a-Granny sunday nights down there in my very dim and distant memory.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Logicalman on June 30, 2014, 08:03:35 PM

Just listening to an old album 'The Hoople' by Mott the Hoople, and this track came on, reminded me of this thread, and those days of yoof.....

Anyone remember the Winning Post down Twickenham? I seem to recall Grab-a-Granny sunday nights down there in my very dim and distant memory.

I remember it well, these days a granny would almost be acceptable.
Not sure if I should post this, but here goes, I will abide by any decision
I remember meeting a lady there, very good looking and about 60 (I was 18/19) a bit "Graduate"
Anyway she asked me if I'd ever been with a mother and daughter, to which excitedly I said "no"
When we got to her house she shouted "Mother can you come downstairs"

CorkedHat

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on June 30, 2014, 08:15:47 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on June 30, 2014, 08:03:35 PM

I remember it well, these days a granny would almost be acceptable.
Not sure if I should post this, but here goes, I will abide by any decision
I remember meeting a lady there, very good looking and about 60 (I was 18/19) a bit "Graduate"
Anyway s
he asked me if I'd ever been with a mother and daughter, to which excitedly I said "no"
When we got to her house she shouted "Mother can you come downstairs"

Blimey, Roger, that joke is older than me, and that's saying something
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

CH,
You're right but there's a new generation.
Tommy Cooper, Spike Milligan and Dave Allen would thrive once again.

BTW: I like your footnote thingy.
I'm sure it's been done before but I would like on my gravestone, although I'm not having one
"I made a difference"  I know I have.